Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Virginia “for the smoker whose taste leans towards Turkish, Lemon Virginia, Latakia and Perique…but is not quite ready for the English Mixtures” –Jack Uhle

Notes: Akin to a hearty & smoky charcoal-grilled burger, this main course smoke is particularly enjoyable at the end of a day or in brisk weather.

BrandUhle's
Blended ByJack Uhle
Manufactured ByUhle's
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 oz bag, 7 oz bag, 14 oz bag
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Tolerable to Strong

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (17)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recommend smoking Uhle's Blend 114 nude from the waist down. That's what I am doing right now and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm not in public, so it's ok. Only my dogs can see me and they're use to my odd behavior, so are not traumatized.

But seriously, this is a fine blend made with high quality ingredients from a great, old-school tobacconist. It reminds me in several ways of Presbyterian Mixture, but lacking its richness and depth. It could use more Turkish and/or Perique, in my opinion. Very smooth and easy-smoking.

I would call this an introductory English or Balkan and do recommend it to others looking for such a thing. As for me, I will enjoy what I have and move on to other Uhle blends. I've tried four so far and have not been disappointed once. Uhle's is a fine establishment and I wish there were more like them out there.

This, by the way, is my fourth review and I think I've come up with a methodology for handing out stars. Four stars means I love the tobacco and can't be without it. I will stock it up against the coming ban against internet tobacco purchasing. If I run out of it, I will bawl and moan and take up cigarette smoking or processed meat eating in an effort to end it all. Three stars means I enjoy the tobacco enough to keep on hand, but if I forget to order it or it's unavailable, the Universe won't unravel. Two stars means it's a decent smoke, even delightfully ok, but I won't be replacing it. Life is too short and there are too many tobaccos I want to try. Besides, my cellar--an old cabinet--is only so big. One star is self-explanatory: YUCK.

Cheers, everyone.

As noted, no burley in this one anymore. This is a nicely robust, full-flavored basic English latakia blend. Mostly dark in the pouch with streaks of lighter leaf, and a typical latakia aroma.

Taste was juicy and meaty. Almost as much so as Bishop's Move, but it doesn't have quite the burst of flavor as its stablemate. That might make it preferable to many smokers. This is also not an all-day type of tobacco for me, but would make a great after dinner or festive smoke.

While I found this one a very good smoke, the issue for me is that it doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the myriad latakia blends out there. It's not as complex as Bishops Move, or as spicy-sweet or balanced as some other blends, nor did I find it as tasty as some others. I find this one difficult to review, mostly because it has little that stands out that I can "adjective-ize". That's not to say this is a mediocre smoke - not at all. It's quite good. It just has too much competition in my cellar. I do, however, recommend this one for smokers that enjoy a flavorful, even-tempered latakia blend. If you're considering a Uhle English sampler, this one should be on your list. But I'll stick with Bishop's Move, thanks.

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Uhle's brochures and website have changed the description of 114 from the old description in the above heading. The new description describes 114 as "Akin to a hearty & smoky charcoal-grilled burger, this main course smoke is particularly enjoyable at the end of a day or in brisk weather." The list of ingredients has also changed: "Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Virginia." While no longer an all-day blend for English smokers, nor a summer alternative to Uhle's 232 or Bishop's Move (since there is no longer any burley in the mixture), taken on its own terms the new 114 is still an excellent tobacco. The tobacco itself is mostly black and shades of darker brown, with some scattered golden highlights. In the new version, the latakia presence is much more forward (hence the recommendation to reserve it for "the end of the day" or "brisk weather"), but never dominates the blend. The taste is spicy and smoky due to the oriental component and the latakia, with just a hint of underlying, tart sweetness from what I think are stoved Virginias. The room aroma (at least as much as I can smell while smoking) is complex and unique. There's just a certain something to the tobacco's aroma that marks it as being a Uhle's blend (a distinguished quality shared by all the Uhle's tobaccos, each in its own individual manner). Another superior blend from the house of Uhle.

JRobert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JRobert (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Fantastic blend with all ends of the english spectrum taken care of.

A very nice latakia showing itself right away and well into the bowl melding into sweet nuttiness.

Blended by hand, I enjoy being able to purchase this locally or order it from the comfort of my home.

A must try!

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A solid 3 star English! Almost as good as a tinned blend. Much better than any bulk English I have had. Very straightforward and simple taste. No sweetness at all here. This is for the GL Pease "Westminster" crowd. If you love Latakia and Turkish -go for it! An extremely clean tasting blend. I went to Mader's German restaurant after visiting the shop and could still clearly taste my food. Good stuff!

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the strongest English mixture in the Uhle's line-up. I much prefer it over the Bishops Move as there is a better balance of latakia to Turkish. Whereas in the Bishops Move the Turkish predominates, here it is detectable, but more in the background and the latakia presence is never in doubt. The burley also adds a nice body and being a fancier of that leaf, I have no problems with its inclusion (or the cavendish for that matter) in what is basically an English mixture. I am aware that some find the cavendish in Dunhill 965 to be blasphemy, so I imagine the same will recoil in horror at the idea of burley and cavendish. Nevertheless, I suggest you close your eyes, pack your pipe, put flame to tobacco and just enjoy it. The cavendish in #114 is not like the cavendished VA in the 965, and I daresay you won't know it's there as it does not have such an aromatic quality. I consider #114 as being comparable to 965 in strength, the #114 being perhaps a bit lighter in taste. Because it is rather full-bodied it is a cold-weather tobacco for me, and is in my regular winter rotation along with the other Uhle's non-aromatic latakia mixtures. As with the others this is a dry tobacco and smokes beautifully. I can highly recommend #114 to anyone who enjoys a full-bodied English tobacco.