This traditional British mixture consists of matured pan-fired Virginia, Syrian Latakia, and Turkish Yenidje. A rich full bodied blend.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)

1st Smoke: Wow! A full flavored English I actually enjoyed. I packed up a pipe load in my Hackert. It's a smaller sized pipe, which was probably a good thing. This blend is fiery. Tasty without being overwhelming, no tongue bite, just bold flavors. Burned cool and ended in a dark grey ash. I look forward to the next smoke session with it. 2nd Smoke: Well, why fix what isn't broken? I packed up the Hackert with another pipe load. Smoked just as well this time around as the first. Full flavor, full bodied, full enjoyment English. This is coming from someone who tends to enjoy the more mild English blends. From first light to the last puff this is just an exceptional tobacco. Quite possibly a new favorite for me. 3rd Smoke: OK, pulled out the big guy for the 3rd smoking of this wonderful blend. My Tinsky bulldog, its dedicated to English blends, which this 524 most assuredly is. Smooth yet spicy, full flavored without a huge nicotine kick. Its got a super smoky woodsy manly flavor. The Latakia is there, but I think the Turkish in it is really what evens the whole blend out. The room note is excellent to me, others don't seem to enjoy the way I do though. A blend I would highly suggest to others. Conclusion: Sign me up for a couple pounds of this stuff. Excellent!

Another home run from Carole at P&W. The first descriptive word that comes to mind is balenced. This medium English is well balenced without any flavor fully taking over. Unlike Carole's other English blends that I have tried, it can bite if smoked quickly so go slowly, its worth it! 524 always burns cleanly. The addition of the Turkish really fills out the blend and gives it a distinctive taste that seperates it from other English blends. I find that it does come arrive moist so some dry time is needed. Highly recommended.

An overwhelmingly smooth take on the old Balkan Sobranie. It lacks that classic's flavor burst and clarity, but the taste is very close to my taste buds.

The tobacco color is interesting in that there are medium brown pieces and dark black pieces - it almost reminds me of a chessboard - and nothing in between. That's not in any way very meaningful; I just thought it was interesting. It comes just a bit too moist in the bag but 10 minutes of drying time was plenty, and where it performed at its best for me.

The Syrian latakia smooths this out and, while it was a good smoke, I found myself wondering what Cyprian would do to the mix. As it was, this blend was well balanced with nothing jumping to far to the fore. A nice "set it and forget it" smoke, not terribly complex but of obvious high quality and good flavor. If I didn't smoke so many similar blends, this one might be repeatable, and that's my one issue. It doesn't assert itself as more preferable to any number of balkan blends. A nice effort, with good flavor and a pleasing aroma (if you like latakia!) and nothing even close to a fault. Recommended if you enjoy balkan blends. But not a reference for me.

davespectda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
davespectda (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is my favorite in my short time of smoking pipe tobacco (cigars for years). Great flavor, smooth, smokes well, I don't get any bite. Great Job Carole!

Pipe Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Lover (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I ordered this blend on the recommendation of a friend. He was not wrong!! This is a wonderful mixture using Yenidge. Too bad there are not more blends using this unique tobacco. Carol does an outstanding job on this blend. This was the first blend I tried from Pipeworks & Wilke.

No. 524 burns well and does not bite. It's a great all day smoke. If you like traditional English mixtures that consist of Virginia, Syrian Latakia, plus a touch of Turkish Yenidje, you need to try this blend. You will not be disappointed!!

It has become one of my all time favorite blends. I highly recommend it.

jazzyguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzyguy (15)

I ordered this blend from Carol at Pipeworksand Wilke and enjoy it more than any blend I have tried to date. I love the aroma and the taste is excellent. It is OUTSTANDING in every way!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

I think this is a very tasty and fairly complex blend. The Latakia although always evedent never overpowers the other componants. The fragrance and sweetness of the Yenidge and Virginia totaly compliment the Latakia creating an exellent balance and flavor throughout the bowl. Smokey, sweet, fragrant and flavorful, Sweeeeet!

This is a shining example of the proper materials in the proper perportions. Hats off to our beloved Carole...Hell with PC ...Thanks Babe!!!

Gordy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordy (16)

This is a good English blend. Its easier to smoke than many and just as rewarding. A Medium cut, well cured blend with just the right amount of Latakia, and the sweet virginia. A good smoke comprable with many other English blends.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

P&W 524 is a very fine English blend. This is the first tobacco that I have smoked that contained Yenidje, which must be what makes it differ from other English blends that I have smoked. Very good taste and no bite. No problems keeping lit. Highly recommended.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)

I bought some #524 awhile back and put it into mason jars as is my habit.Well, I smoked one of the jars with gusto and promptly forgot I had the other jar. Therefore my Highly recommended comment is biased slightly by the fact the tobacco was cellared for about 8-9 months. I enjoy #524 as an infrequent smoke normally, it just seems to press most of my "Nice Smoke" buttons. Now having gone through five bowlfuls of the older stuff,it has gotten even better. The Yenidje,latakia and Virginias have entered in to an agreement of support betweeen themselves and produced a wonderful blend. Good stuff, Maynard. Buy twice as much as you think you want and put the other half into fairly short term cellarage.(Is that a word?)

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)

Do a word search on Google and Yahoo and see how many blends out there are using both the hard to come by Syrian Latakia and the Oriental Yenidje tobacco. This is one unique smoke that starts out like a normal english would with sweet overtones but by mid bowl you are treated to something all together different and it is quite entoxicating! Be sure to dedicate a pipe to this stuff because it will leave its unique essense behind. I think its a blend that Cigar snmokers in particular would be fond of, not that it has any Havana or Cigar leaf in it, It has a rounder, darker wood,taste from the Syrian Latakia and one heck of a kick from the Yenidje although I would say the nicotene is not overwhelming but is present. It will be in my rotation from now on. Great tobacco!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

There is something akin to GLPease Renaissance in No. 524 (though it is understood that No. 524 has been around much longer, so perhaps there is something akin to No. 524 in Renaissance).

Both of these examples of classic English pipe smoking blends are tweaked toward the Turkish tobaccos. Renaissance is a tad more complex in this department, but No. 524 nails an aria with the Yenidje. It might not be a chorus, but it is pure.

I would say there is a bit more Virginia in Renaissance and more Latakia in No. 524. Therefore, they are not interchangeable. Both are sweeter than most Balkans I've tried, but neither blend compared here is really "sweet." 524 and Ren. are English-style, not Balkans (Try P&W No. 10 for a sensuous, easy Balkan). SG's Squadron Leader belongs in this comparison to No. 524, however much it tends toward that acclaimed acridness (which I like) absent from No. 524 and Ren.

Find a pipe that this smokes well in (perhaps a classic pot with shallow bowl and wide mouth?) and then smoke a lot of it before coming to a decision. It might not be love at first light, but it will likely be a lasting affection if you take time to know her.

Keeping this cool is feasible with minor attention, and not to worry about gurggles.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (69)

This is one of the best examples of an English blend on available. In these days where we try various Balkans, Scottish Blends, etc, etc. I often find that the basic, Classic English Mixture gets pushed to the side in my rotation. This is a blend of such quality and such an exemplar of the style as to be necessary equipment for a pipe smoker.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)

This is probably the finest English mixture I have ever enjoyed. It has a captivating taste that is very satisfying without a high nicotine level. The latakia content is moderate without overtaking the other components. It has a natural sweetness that keeps you coming back for more. For those, like myself, who have given up on English/Balkan blends, this could be the one.

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

WILKE No. 524. I opening the Pouch smells delightfully,and i smoke a bowl full a non biting mixture, the Virginia and Syrian Latakia taste and Turkish Yenidje delightful. burn cool all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, if you like Virginia and Syrian Latakia this is the tobacco for you. i love it I'am puting This in my tobacco cellar,

I smokes it consistently in any pipe,

It is hard to get bit by it unless you really puff it. traditional British mixture charming tobacco.

A.) I like it's complexity.

B.) I like that it's not biting.

C.) It is easy to smoke, and enjoy a all day smoke.

D.) The No. 524 lasts and lasts. the aroma in the room is delightfully,

this is a wonderful tobacco, and i give it 4 star

Simply one of the best tobaccos around. It has a wonderful, spicy smell and you find the same fragrances while smoking. The first impressions remins me of GL Pease Bohemian Scandal because the top note you detect is the syrian latakia, but this is smoother and, all in all, a better tobacco. No problems found as far as wetness or relighting, almost the perfect blend. Wonderful.

As a smoker of Wilke tobaccos for a very long time I think I can say with some authority that this is some pretty good stuff.I feel that Wilke's forte lies in the aromatic world ,but this is really very good.A very rich and flavorful mixture with a strong Turkish element to it.It is like Nat Sherman #536 kiced up a few notches with extra Latakia and a different Turkish leaf. A very good after dinner tobacco. 3 of 4 stars

An excellent medium English, with superb burning qualities. This won't make the "too much Latakia is never enough" crowd happy, but I find it to have a perfectly balanced taste, with a clean finish. Recommended.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)

This is a superbly-balanced Balkan blend that has been savored by knowledgable pipe smokers for years. The exotic oriental component interlays perfectly with the Latakia (which is just slightly understated). The Virginia adds minimal support. This mixture packs and burns well and will arrive at your doorstep perfectly humidified. Easily 4 stars, this is highly recommended for Balkan and English lovers alike who seek high-quality mixtures.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)

A very clean tasting traditional English. The musty latakia taste is not predominant in this blend. The virginia is the tobacco in the forefront. Burns evenly, and is not harsh or hot, and finishes to a mottled white ash. A pleasant change of pace to the overwhelming latakia English blends. A slightly sweet virginia flavor, with the latakia and turkish in the background.

Colonel Baja Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Baja (1)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A very old English blend that goes way back to the days of the Wilke Pipe and Tobacco Shop in New York City. I've been enjoying it's satisfying taste and marvelous aroma for over 35 years. 524 is a reliable and true friend that smokes clean and pure down to a fine, white ash. There's comfort in it's smoky hominess and much pleasure to be derived bowl after bowl. I've tried many English blends over the years, and while many have charmed, delighted, and dazzled me, I always return to my first and steadfast love - Wilke's 524.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This Blend have many good evaluations,

But for me, it not have neither special caracther...

Flat, only Orientals are noted, Virginia and Latakia disappeared completely.

Very common "English Mixture", similar to a good cigarrete tobacco.

2 stars, but only because it have s good taste when lighted,and a residual good taste in the mouth, after smoking. Without this it would be only 1 Star.