A full English blend for those who prefer something with greater body as an after dinner smoke. A base of the finest Syrian Latakia to which is added Turkish Yenidje, Kentucky Burley, Perique and Virginia in medium, long, and granulated large cuts. Not for the timid!

BrandPipeworks & Wilke

3.4
dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I know I am going to get mail on this one so I will try to make myself clear. While reading reviews on Wilke's 400 I was struck by the frequent mention of Dunhill's Nightcap. Of course it was Orlik's Nightcap being discussed not Dunhill's. It is interesting to note fuss kicked up about Balkan Sobranie, a blend I smoked tons of, because it had a great taste, a cool room scent, and I could buy it at Kroger. Yet, Dunhill slips into the abyss and no one even waves goodbye.

I go through this marlarky, to make this point, The 'Dunhill' Dunhill blends for the most part had these five things in common. 1. Strength 2. Smoothness 3. Balance 4. Depth 5. Richness

You will find all these present in Wilke's 400. If I remember correctly, the Nightcap was a really strong smoke. Wilke's 400 is probably a little smoother than the original. Not say better just smoother. The original had another agenda. So for Wilke's 400 a four.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of the stronger Latakia blends on the market today thanks to the Burley and Perique. The Syrian Latakia employed was of good quality and it is a headline in #400. There is a bit of spicy sweetness thanks to the Yenidje and darker Virginia. For me, the best part was the strength. Many Latakia laden blends on the market do provide a full taste but are lacking punch. Not a problem with this one.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been in experimentation mode for the last year + and have sampled over 100 new blends. This is one of the top 3 or 4 in the experiment.

Comparing this to Nightcap does this incredible blend a huge disservice in my opinion. Nowhere in #400 do I find the cloudiness, confusion and dullness of Nightcap. In this one, the component tobaccos nestle perfectly with one another, no one tobacco taking center seat and the whole being perfectly melded with no "tobacco infighting". The burley sits back and carries the weight while the perique and turkish duet together, alternating the lead. The latakia is always there conducting and the VA lends its sweetness to what is a perfect symphony. The flavor has great depth and richness, the moisture content was near-perfect and I had no problems with tongue bite or keeping this lit. I'm supremely impressed with this tobacco. Stick it in a fancy tin with a fancy name on it and you'd have a classic. This one makes most classic tobaccos take notice. This is the Beethoven's Ninth of tobaccos. A stroke of pure genius.

Try this only if you appreciate blending genius and are looking for a tobacco that utilizes all your favorite condiments in a way few can accomplish. Well done, Ms Burns!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I had been looking for something to replace Nightcap. While I will always miss Nightcap, I think that I have found something even better. Number 400 is a full body blend similar to Nightcap in fullness and strength. However that's where the similarities end. I find this to be more complex and more flavorful. P&W is really making some of the finest bulk blends on the market IMHO. Like many of the P&W tobacco's this does arrive somewhat wet so expect some drying time. Although the description state's "not for the timid," I find 400 to be very smooth with no bite. Highly recommended for those looking for a full tasting English.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Wilke's Nightcap, with the ritual addition of some Kentucky (fire-cured burley) that makes it heavier without making it richer.

This is a good, full-flavoured latakia blend, don't get me wrong. But it just doesn't have the chimerical, oriental-périque playfulness of Nightcap.

On the other hand, if the presence of bass-heavy burley interests you, with the Turkish a little more subsumed, this Anglo-American blend could seem classic.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Just a top notch English. The fire cured and perique give it some decent strength and it has a deep smoky sweet taste most Latakia smokers are looking for.

If this isn't my favorite English it's top 2 or 3 easy.

If you're deciding whether to try it. Stop deciding and start trying. It's a great one.

kvv098 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kvv098 (1)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

For me if a tobacco contains any humicant or an artificial casing, it fries my mouth. This tobacco does. Very noticeably. I really tried to like this tobacco as I ordered 8oz from P&W based on very good reviews from this site. Finally I gave up. Tossed the whole bag in the garbage. The only other tobacco I had to dump was 5110. BTW, #400 can't even stand against Nightcap - my favorite tobacco. But if you don't care about chemicals in your pipe, you may like it as many previous reviewers did. I will stay with Nightcap.

Mild Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

I've only smoked a couple of Carole's blends. This one is an absolute winner! For me it was time traveling back to the 60s and early 70s when GBD Original was still available. Holy cow, this is what English is all about. The latakia is balanced just right...the pouch aroma, the moisture...just right. It's so damn good it makes me giggle!!!!

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A strong English blend from Wilke. I don't see the affinity with Dunhill's Nightcap, though I must confess, I haven't had Nightcap since the '70s. It was one of my favorites then & is sadly no longer available, as I have only recently taken up my briar habit again. I believe this blend is a little too heavy on something-probably the Latakia. Would give this 2 stars, as it wouldn't earn a spot in a regular rotation of tobacco offerings & I ordinarily am partial to full- bodied British blends.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Deep, rich ,and alluring describe this masterpiece.I do not see the Nightcap comparison though.Very different from High Hat. This is smokey and leathery and rich. Similar to Rich's Old Fashioned 759 in every way.This is a Latakia torte with a significant amount of Turkish. An excellent after dinner blend. 4 of 4 stars.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Being a huge fan of Syrian latakia I find myself reaching for this blend on daily basis. It starts off with a nightcap type of flavor profile until the mid point then the burley kicks in and it is like a whole new blend, solid with a good amount of nico and body. Carole at P&W is great to deal with and I highly recommend their blends.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

Much like other offerings from P&W this arrives as quite the moist tobacco. By habit, I now allow a measure to air dry for some time until smoking. This was loaded into a very large capacity Castello Rhodesian and set to as the morning smoke. At first it came across as a lighter English style blend but as the bowl progressed the depth intensified and began to produce only what I can describe as a thick creamy mouthfeel with rich flavors and aromas.

I agree with the others in comparing 400 with Nightcap. But it is also very different. To me it has more lingering aromas and flavors and really does encouraged one to finish one bowl and to immediately start another.

I have always favored #78 and #10 also by P&W, but this may trump them both. Never biting or even threatening to bite it deliver a symphony of flavors and does indeed wander about in its complexity and depth. Perhaps better to compare this with the maker's High Hat but with more depth, strength and flavors.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to offer a new review of this blend. For whatever reason, smoking several bowls of this blend when it arrived was unsatisfactory. I attribute this to high-moisture content. My stash has come to a proper humidity, and my opinion has changed for the better.

This is a medium-full blend with a lot of character. It is very deep with sudden highs and wandering complexity. Occassionally, some Turkish notes are detectible, but mostly this is Latakia and a bit of sweetness until marvelous perique does the "perique thing" and you start loading another pipe for when you finish the previous one.

If you like Dunhill's Night Cap, try this after eating and with a distilled beverage. It is cooler than Night Cap and burns to an amazing white, dry ash. Sophisticated and approachable, 400 is geared for quiet contemplation before turning in for evening slumber.

Pipeworks & Wilke can do better tobaccos than this one, but it has some good qualities. Looking at the tobaccos involved here, you can expect something like Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, with the difference that this P&W is much more classy and refined. Kentucky is the dominant note just after lighting, but soon the other elements emerge, especially latakia and orientals, while the perique stays in the background. Better than the Bill Bailey's, but loses the match with Dunhill Nightcap.