A combination of far eastern spices enriches the black Cavendish style tobacco upon which this blend is based. Can be smoked bowl after bowl.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Like most undergraduates, I initially started pipe smoking with aromatics ala Captain Black and Amphora. I quickly weaned myself from those when I discovered the joys of English and Oriental blends. Bohemian is an exception to that rule. A friend of mine, a native New Yorker smoked Wilke Blends when they were still made in that city. He always raved about the shop, the tobaccos, and the colorful and outspoken Gennaro Filoso who worked the counter. I figured it was more of the same New York regional bravura the rest of us west of the Hudson have long had to endure. Humbly, I must eat my words, as Bohemian is the finest aromatic I?ve ever had in or out of New York, or as it stands now, Vermont.

This is a rich black aromatic Cavendish and oriental blend with a characteristically sweet but subtle dressing of maple or molasses. I can?t put my finger on it. But whatever it is, it?s absolutely delicious. I can almost eat this stuff. Even those who hate aromatics would have a hard time disliking Bohemian. I must say that I was very disappointed with Wilke?s popular Royal Scot and Rumcake, but Bohemian more than makes up for it.

The taste is rich and flavorful. This is a first bowl of the day blend for me, though it makes a nice evening smoke as well. I broke in a Stanwell horn with it, and it consistently leaves a lovely aroma in the bowl, like a pan of slightly burnt molasses and ginger cookies. It smokes a bit wet and causes some tongue bite like most dark aromatic Cavendish, but who cares? The remarkable thing is that the blend is very uninspiring in the pouch, and you might pass it by if you didn?t bother to taste some. But once you light this stuff up, WOW!

When it comes to aromatics, nobody does it better than Wilke, and nothing?s better than Bohemian.

Five of five Stars

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)

A forget-about-it smoke. Bohemian Mixture comes with a bit of PG and has that greasy feel when you pack the pipe, but it's by no means goopy. P&W's delicious Cavendish is the main action here, set against a background of delicate vanilla and molasses. I tend to smoke English and Balkan blends, and by those standards Bohemian Mixture is simple and even bland. But those standards aren't the right ones. As a mild aromatic it is wonderful, even subtle, and when you need something that won't stink up a room, or just want something in the morning to smoke without paying attention, maybe over coffee, it's really a perfect choice.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is rich and spicey, but not particularly sweet. The lack of sugar allows the flavor of the spices to develop fully. This burns surprisingly dry, but it can nip if you push it. There is no need, as it has plenty of flavor. I love the aroma, and can recommend this wholeheartedly as an elegant, complex aromatic blend.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

Yet another terrific aromatic from Wilke. This packs and burns well and dry; no goopiness here. While it smells quite sweet in the pouch, it doesn't taste very sweet when smoked and the natural tobacco flavor builds somewhat as the bowl progresses. The aroma while burning is more spicy than sweet. I suspect that the black cavendish is Kentucky Burley based and that's where the majority of the flavor and spicy aroma come from. There is some vanilla flavoring to this but it is fairly subtle. A very smooth smoke which I enjoy in the morning with coffee.

3/14/2006 After spending more time with this, I'm downgrading a bit as it is too mild in flavor.

9/23/2008 I still have some of this on hand. To zip it up I mix 3 parts Bohemian with 1 part P&W High Hat. Makes a nice cross-over blend, similar to Frog Morton but more full with a burley undertone.

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have never been disappointed with any of Pipeworks & Wilke blends. Quality tobacco & flavorings are used and are harmoniously blended with flavors that actually taste like what they say. This is one of those blends that is satisfying and no doubt has a good spice backdrop flavor. Not goopy and burns terrific without bite or a nasty aftertaste. The tobacco choices used in this blend are perfectly balanced to accompany the spices which are not overwhelming but pleasant. The room note is pleasant and well accepted with non-smokers around. Yet ANOTHER great blend by Pipeworks & Wilke!

**I noticed that a couple of reviewers indicated that the tobacco was too moist or goopy. I respect their opinions and understand that this site is for personal opinions. With that said, I have never had this experience with any of Pipeworks & Wilke?s blends. Even if that was the case, the solution is simple?..just air it out prior to packing?!?!

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

Even after six months in the pouch, this blend remains overly moist. This pipe-weed was easy to load but required more than an average amount of relights, due, I suspect, to the aforementioned moisture. The black Cavendish is dominant, too much for my tastes, providing substantial sweetness. I do not, however, pick up on excessive vanilla. The Orientals do manage to leave a hint of spice. Still, the overall experience leaves me somewhat unmoved. It can bite a little, and there is some goop in the bottom of my bowl. Not a complete disappointment, but not one of P&W's better offerings.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I tend to agree with lensman. Nothing objectionable here but pretty bland. Gotham Court is much more interesting.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of Carol's best. It does arrive damp, but as it drys out it gets better and better. Rich and spice laden. Excellent

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Another fine aromatic mixture from Pipeworks & Wilke, they really never fail whatever type of blend they make. This is a little different from their trademark aromatic aroma, a little spicier and sweeter, but very good. The cut is mixed, a little working in breaking the bigger pieces could be a good tip. The moisture is extremely high, I had to leave it on the air for some days to appreciate a nice smoke. The smoke is cool but a little wet, never biting but maybe a little too mild. Fine for the morning, not suitable for an all day smoke.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Black cavendish. That's all there is to this blend. It is extremely goopy, slightly bitey, and completely uninteresting.

Not for me, thanks.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

The reviewers before me have said everything that needs to be said about this wonderful blend. The only thing I can add is my complete agreement.

Update: October 21/05 I'm lowering my rating of this blend to 2 stars from 4. I was overly enthusiastic. Bohemian Mixture has become boring and one dimensional to me.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My bag of Bohemian Mixture arrived wet. Very wet. Couldn't smoke it. Let it dry in the open air for several days. Still too wet. Put the open bag in the cab of my truck, which gets up to about a million degrees as it still quite hot here in central Texas. Waited a couple of days. Still too wet. As a science experiment, just let the bag cure in my truck-cab toaster oven. Three weeks later, the tobacco is now smokable, if a bit too damp. How is it? Well it tastes like Black Cavendish with a bit of Perique in it. I know the listed ingredients don't include Perique, but that's what it tastes like to me. Will you like this blend? If you want tobacco you have to cook to smoke, that tastes like Black Cavendish with a bit of Perique in it, then this is exactly your blend, my man.

Ken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ken (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Unnoticeable

My second go at a Wilkes blend. This is WAY different from Churchill, but in its own way it's a pleaser. The vanilla's noticeable but not as whory-flavored as some vanillas I've tried over the years. It does not get a nasty flavor the further down you smoke, and the burn itself is clean and ashy, evenly consumed. It's a full-flavored tobacco that I had to get used to after Churchill, but one I can definitely live with in repeated doses. I usually try different blends from the same place to see how they compare, and Carol's hit 2 home runs so far.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Yummy! A good go-to aromatic that isn't vanilla, coconut/mango or pomegranate. Aromatic in both the oriental and cavendish senses. Definitely a must-try if you like aromatics. Really really nice and delicious smelling. Another P&W winner.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the pinnacle of aromatics! A very unique blend dominated by black cavendish.It smokes very well and needs only 2 matches throughout the bowl.The flavors in this blend are very intricate and form a most complex blend -a description not often associated with full aromatics.The blend leans toward the sweet side,yet it has an underlying spice ,no doubt derived from the orientals. The flavor is rich and satisfying.The only blend i can compare it with is BENGAL MIXTURE a blend in the late eighties that had nothing to do with BENGAL SLICES.A very good friend of mine smokes only Dunhill blends and he swears by this stuff. I am a fan of all quality tobaccos aromatic ,non-aromatic and English blends.If you ever crave something sweet and rich like an excelent chocolate cake please try this you will not be disappointed.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)

This is my favorite Wilkes aromatic. It is rich and spicy without being sweet with an excellent rich tobacco base. There lingers some where in the taste the hint of molasses which never appears but always lingers in the background to tantalize to keep seeking it. This what an aromatic should be Four stare.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

My first impression of pouch aroma was that of clove spice. Of the few P&W blends I've tried so far, this is the least appealing to me. However, it is very mild, burns really well, smokes cool & delivers a pleasant room note. For me it was lacking in aromatic tobacco substance. I didn't enjoy smoking this blend & what little taste there was, didn't really appeal to me. Something akin to tasting a beer that had gone flat. I found it to be lacking in taste & nicotine content and it just didn't satisfy me. That is not to say it won't appeal to other pipers as it does possess some good qualities...it was just too bland for me. Absolutely no tongue/palate discomfort whatsoever & one of the mildest blends I've ever sampled. Therefore, IMHO, Bohemian Mixture merits two **s!

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well What can you say about Pipeworks & Wilke but wonderful Pipe Tobacco smells Good in the Pouch.a spices enriches and Oriental. aroma in the room delightfu. Virginia and Black Cavendish tobaccos wonderful Pipe tobacco. and taste delicious and No bite.the flavor stay thougt out the bowl a nice aromatics. i smoke two to three bowl a week with a Hot cup of coffee it great. one a all day smoke. is wonderful tobacco, and i give it 4 star