A blend of red Virginia, Latakia, red Virginia cavendish, Turkish and cubed burley designed to bring out the best in these rich tobaccos.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Taste

3.2
dano58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dano58 (12)

This is my favorite C&D tobacco so far (and I've tried many of them). All of the components are expertly blended, full of natural flavor and play off of each other in a wonderful way. Very smooth, no bite at all and by the end of the bowl I am a satisfied smoker. Just the right amount of nicotine for me- right down the middle 'medium'. I always include a tin of this when I place an order and it's always the first tin I finish.

Wonder if this is something similar to what movie director John Ford smoked in his pipe, back in the days of old Hollywood? Hope C&D keeps this one coming!

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)

The particular tin of Old Hollywood I opened was 7 years old and it was bursting from the fermentation, so my review is going to be different than a review of a green tin.

The overall character of the blend is somewhat "muddy" as another reviewer described, as none of the tobaccos really come through in their own right (it isn't a bad mix though; it's robust in its own right, just ambiguous). The taste is great though and particularly satisfying. The aroma is purely a warm tobacco aroma. I would say this is a perfectly enjoyable smoke that you don't have to think too much about but you still want a robust tobacco flavor and aroma.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

WOW! This rocked! It was very much like Billy Budd, but with a very nice earthy Burley in place of the cigar leaf. It really worked well for me. Where BB can sometimes be too much, OH would stay just shy of that cliff.

Bard of Christ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bard of Christ (9)

I like most of what I've tasted from C&D. I try to like them since they're in nearby Morganton, NC.

Old Hollywood appealed to me because I like English-style blends AND I like burleys. But this is not a marriage made in heaven, I'm afraid. At least not in this iteration from C&D.

It smells like a typical English in the tin (dark fruit and charcoal), but there is a subtle nuttiness from the burley. It packs well into any size pipe, and lights easily. It burns to a medium gray ash without much fuss.

The problem lies in the flavor. These tobaccos do not play well together! The burley erases the complexity of the orientals and latakia, while the orientals overshadow the sweet nuttiness of the burley. The result is a muddy, bland flavor. The aroma is pure tobacco.

If I were to liken this to a drink, it would be Famous Grouse. Strong, but without character.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (41)

OH is a completely satisfying tobacco for the sophisticated pipe smoker. A very flavorful blend with a unique taste. I just tried my first few bowls and feel that this was a well kept secret. I will be making this a daily pleasurable experience worthy of 4 stars only because 5 stars isn't an option.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of C&D's many American-English hybrids built largely around a burley base with latakia. This is a winning combo in my book. Although this contains red VA cavendish, there's only a hint of added sweetness. Of all C&D hybrids, this one comes the closest to matching a traditional English mixture's flavor, probably due to the turkish leaf (at times it's easy to forget there's much burley in here). This one should be appreciated by both those who like this genre of tobacco as well as those who normally shy away from this type due to the presence of burley.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This has been in my cellar since 05. At the start of my pipe smoking career I suspect I did what many others do. I found blends I liked, Cellared them, and moved on to other undiscovered blends like a mad man on walkabout. Now that I am settling down, and revisiting these cellared blends, I opend a tin of Old Hollwood last night, and settled in with a good book. It was hard to keep my mind on the book. The Latakia was easy on the blend. The Red Virginias gave a wonderful spice and subtle sweet to a lightly smokey full bodied smoke. Age has not hurt this at all. Burned clean with very few relights, and nothing but nice white ash to show it had been there. No bitterness at the end. The flavor stayed consistant and even. All Marks for a great Great smoke.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

If you like Pipes and Cigars Old Tartan or Altadis Fox and Hound or Count Pulaski try Old Hollywood.

There is nothing here overpowering. The latakia and turkish pique your tastebuds 1st. This tobacco then switches to a cool even burn. Mid bowl the Burley and a little Va spice chime in but don't bite you. They balance just right with the latakia and turkish. It's very cool and smooth, but never gets boring.

Like a lot of people, I have limited time to smoke and must indulge during the workday. It's the perfect lunch-break smoke. Non-smokers and cigarette smokers have positively commented on the aroma.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Wide ribbon cut, plus some cube cut, nice variety of colors.

Aroma: Definitely some Latakia in the blend, with a trace of ?Aromatic? quality. Sort of a hybrid Anglo/Yankee blend.

Packing: Packs easily into medium and large bowls. I don?t recommend it for smaller pipes.

Lighting: Like most C&D blends, it lights readily, sometimes one match will get it started.

Initial flavor: OK, now I get it. The flavor is sort of standard English (Virginia, Latakia , Oriental, in that order), with a healthy dose of Craig?s Red Va. Cavendish. It?s naturally sweet, but not scented. It blends with the English components in the same way that Cognac complements Pembroke. Mid-bowl: As I work my way down the bowl, the Burley starts to show up, adding a nice nutty flavor to the mix. Nothing yells for attention here, but all the tobaccos speak quietly together, like old friends who don?t mind being interrupted, and can finish each others sentences. What I?m trying to say is that it?s wonderfully complex, but not excessively.

Finish: I should have mentioned it before, but this blend is COOL. It burns easily, needing very little attention, and it burns dry.

Summary: If you like Latakia, and you aren?t a snob about a bit of Burley and Cavendish, this could be you all-day smoke. It could also be your evening smoke.

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm still trying to figure this one out. Somehow; I'm a bit too simple for this blend. Orientals are what come to me first. Not that I mind (have a brick of "Pirate Kake" about that I enjoy on my own) but, I somehow envisioned the Cavendish being a bit stronger. Old Hollywood burns nice all the way down to the bottom so physical aspect of its 'draw' are nice. I do get a little zing to the tongue but that may be me puffing away trying to figute this one out.

I've only been smoking for 3 years (pipes only) but, I'd have to say it may be another 3 years before I get my way around decifering "Old Hollywood". I'm on my 7th bowl spread out amongst 3 weeks and its still a puzzle to me.

Then again, perplexing is probably not a bad trait for a tobacco. I hope I can come back to it and review as others have.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've never really hooked into the concept of the 'all-day blend' as referred to so regularly in past issues of P&T Magazine, but this is the closest thing I've ever gotten to sticking with an 'constant companion' pipe tobacco. Basically I keep my Dunhill Rotator pouch packed with this stuff wherever I go. Like a few other reviewers I'm joyously tiptoeing my way through a half-pound of this marvelous treat and I see many more large tins of Old Hollywood in my future -- C&D: keep this one coming, folks!

As for room note, I haven't done a proper check of this, as I usually smoke outside walking the streets of my Bronx, NY neighborhood or in my car--the two places left for me to smoke freely (besides the few remaining overly-smoky tobacconists in Manhattan). So I haven't had a chance to do a truly objective nose test on this one. But I haven't heard any complaints about OH's scent from those around me when I've enjoyed a bowlful amongst others. And I live in NY City: people speak their minds here!

Medium and smooth in flavor, yet not lacking "oomph" and body, OH is just straight down the middle for a lover of blends containing Latakia and Virginia tabacs. You still get the flavor bounties of those two types of tobacco without some of the darker or more acrid qualities that can come along with, say, a heavier Latakia- based blend. Those who rely on full-impact Latakia-heavy blends should perhaps look elsewhere--but Latakia Lovers like myself, who sometimes like a softer, milder alternative without abandoning the North African leaf altogether, will enjoy OH immensly.

As for burley, this leaf remains something of a mystery to me--it seems to me that burley is more of 'base' leaf, or, one that works in combination with others, without having a clear, powerful character all its' own like VA leaf does, for example. But being a relatively new pipe smoker (5 years), I'll leave the burley assessment in OH to the more experienced kapnismologist. All I know is, Old Hollywood is for my money an excellent marriage of VA, Latatkia, Burley, and cavendish that leaves my pipe ashy and dry and my taste buds satisfied.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

C&D has done it again! This is a unique offering. The way that the Turkish tobac interacts with the Red Virginia cavendish is not to be missed. The Burley adds a nutty bitterness that really complements, too. I recommend a big bowl for this one.

Recommended for the Burley lover and the Turkish/Oriental lover.

If you're not a fan of Turkish tobac, head instead to Morley's Best or Easy Times, both from C&D.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm surpised that this blend was so well received by reviewers and the fact that I hated it. For me, this is one of the worst C&D blends I have tried. The tin aroma upon opening the tin was reminiscent of chocolate M&Ms candies but with a slight foul quality as if it was spoiled chocolate left out too long. I ascribed this to a casing, most likely a part of the burley component. When I first tried to smoke it the casing came through, which I could not stand. I let it sit for week and tried again. The casing lessened in aroma and taste, much more in the latter. Overall, this blend was rather bland, characterless and unpleasant. There was no central charcter playing here, no underlyng natural sweetness of the leaf with the condimental players placed on top of that. The casing and burley components are just in impossible contrast to the english elelments. This along with the proportions of the various ingredients seem to cancel each other out when it comes to flavor. What flavor was there was airy and a little sooty from the latakia elelment, dry without any sweetness. This blend just striked me as a poor english and mild aromatic hybrid. But,so many of you liked it. That is the mystery of tobacco, it is perceived so differently from one to the next.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

*Update 11/28/05 I like this blend so much i purchased an 8oz tin in August that was dated 4/28/05 and i opened it today 11/28/05 after i finished my last 50 gram tin. The additional age on the virginias and cavendish made this blend a little sweeter which accents the smoky latakia and somewhat bitter burley. This has become my favorite C&D blend and at $16.00 for an 8oz tin at cup o joes, very affordable!

7/08/2005

Picked up a tin of this after work one day as a change from Wilke's Nut Brown Burley and i must say i am impressed! The tin aroma is smokey and musty (wonderful) and the blend looks like autumn leaves with black and various shades of brown leaves. A few sticks present but less than most Mcclelland blends. The first third of the bowl was smooth burley and Latakia and then changed flavor midway with the cavendish peeking its head out. This blend never bit me and i savored my second hand / side stream smoke. I will rotate this blend with NBB as it has just as much if not more flavor and much more complexity. The tin was $8.00 so i have no problem stopping in at J&R and getting a tin twice a month. Great blend C&D, your Burley is top notch!

On a side note, my tin had a label around the middle as opposed to the top like the old tins. Great idea, now when the tins are on a high shelf in the tobbaconist's shop, i can read what they are without having to pick them up.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I find this similar to some other C&D blends that contain cubed burley and orientals. Initially not very much sweetness, as the cavendish takes a distant back seat to the Turkish, though it seems to develop through the bowl. The burley gives it a nice fullness, but very little distinct taste. With it's oriental smokinesss, it has a similarity to Rattray's Red Raparee. Give this one a go if you gravitate towards the burley/VA/latakia blends. Smokes cool and burns well. I suggest a large bowl to let all the components meld as you hit the zone.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked my tin of Old Hollywood quite quickly, and always looked forward to smoking it. It is in all respects a quality product, easy to light, with great burning characteristics, and terrific consistency of flavor across styles and types of pipes. I probably won't buy it again, for the following reasons:

1. I'd rather smoke Morley's Best 2. Like BriarLaw, I'd prefer it to be a touch sweeter (it is quite "dry" in taste) 3. The last third of the bowl simply tastes to much of Turkish for me

These are all personal reactions, and no reason at all to discriminate against this tobacco. It is simply a matter of whether or not you like the way it tastes.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Another winner from C&D! The red Va is super tasty, and the Latakia is perfect. I bought this and bridge mixture at the same time and have to say I liked this one better. It has a sophisticated taste that is missing from some of the other latakia/burley mixtures. This tobacco is perfect for a night on the town.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This is an "American blend" very similar to Easy Times but not quite as full or rich. The red va-cavendish does however give this a somewhat unique and pleasent flavor.

Old Hollywood is similar to Barking Dog, but with more teeth. Others here describe the Burley/Virginia/Latakia taste as "American." I'm not really sure what that means unless "old fashioned" is the descriptive intent. I usually hear "American Blends" described as cheap, flavored Burley - which this offering most certainly is not.

It is my understanding that Old Hollywood was originally intended to be a one-time only batch, but that its popularity was surprising to Craig Tarler and convinced him to put Old Hollywood in his starting line-up.

Burley/Latakia were the two flavors I picked up on the most. An interesting and unique (strange?) flavor develops as you near the final third of the smoke.

Old Hollywood won't remind you of Gone With The Wind. But, its right up there with The African Queen - solid, if not spectacular.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Variegated colors with no one leaf dominating.The burley and latakia dominate the tin aroma, but the red Va cavendish is right behind adding a nice sweet note.

Packing and Lighting: easy with both the size of the leaf and the moisture perfect.

Initial Flavor: The burley is in the forefront with the VA close behind.

Mid-bowl: this is a delicious "American" style blend with everything in perfect balance. Yes, the latakia is quite noticable, but it is mainly for support.

Bottom of Bowl: it is a good idea to slow or even DGT to keep the Burley from getting bitter. The Red VA Cavendish is at its best at this point too, adding a nice sweet finish.

Overall: this is a classic American blend and its name is appropriate. All the components are top notch and can be smoked even when the tin date is recent. I liked this blend over "Easy Times" even though that blend is a little fuller in flavor. This won't be a go to blend for me as I am still a "Balkan" man as they say, but I will definitely keep some tins of this blend in my cellar and open from time to time. The component that adds dimension to this blend is the red cavendish VA. I believe C&D has done a stellar job in blending with this leaf and it especially shines in this blend. Lastly, this blend can nip, so restrained puffing is requisite. Enjoy...

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is unique. It is an American-style blend of exceptionally high-quality tobaccos that have been properly aged. A delicious concoction that warrants a second bowl once the first bowl is finished.

I do think that this blend has a nice sweetness all the way down the bowl (though not as sweet as most English blends), along with a Latakia dominance. As a matter of fact, this is not a blend for Latakia lightweights, because it is the main flavor. I'm sure I'd miss the Turkish if it were gone, but its influence is subtle to me. This is true of the excellent Burley, too.

Old Hollywood lights easily with one or two charrings. This burns very cool to a fine, mottled ash. The bowl will be almost completely dry at the end of the smoke.

I rated this as having an extremely mild flavoring, but I detect just something in the tin aroma that does not translate into an artificial flavor or cloak for true, manly tobacco flavor.

I will smoke this as a change-up from my Balkans, Virginia flakes and occasional English favorites.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

I consider this tobacco an old fashioned blend with a bit of modern complexity. Bascially a mixture of quite a few varieties in a fairly wide ribbon cut. This is a dry tasting blend with no real sweetness. Latakia in the background. The Burley is not really identifiable. On the other hand, the Turkish makes itself fairly well known. While this is touted as containing VA Cavendish, this is by no means a Cavendish blend. In fact, I find this drier than say, 965, which itself contains Cavendish.

If you like tobaccos like Durbar, Squadron Leader and some of the Pease offerings, try this. If you prefer your tobaccos with a hint of sweetness (like me), then you might not find this to your liking.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Old Hollywood-the very name suggests a certain sumptuous and lavish lifestyle, perhaps even larger than life. There are these wonderful images, to me at least, of a manly John Ford and the Duke, the uber-intellectual appearing and suave Leslie Howard, and on and on... This tobacco blend seems to complement those images.

Old Hollywood is a distinct treat for the mature smoker. It is in that personally desired area of not-English and not-aromatic, but flavorful and constant. There is complexity within the blend, seen to by the oriental leaf and the latakia, but this also quite the robust blend of red virginia and cubed burley.

Old Hollywood is visually distinct, with the mottled browns and tnas, and the sensual aroma and blackness of the red virginia cavendish. It lights well and stays lit, fragrant clouds of blue-gray without a hint of bitterness or tedium. There are layers of taste within the blend which seem to vary in each of the ten or so bowls which I smoked. it seems that each puff is a new treat of nuttiness or sweetness or unmasked strength.

This is a very fine blend and highly recommended. Remember LS/MFT: Let's Smoke My Favorite Tarler Tobacco.