This classic blend brings together the finest mellow, Georgian, Virginias, black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia, while evoking an exotic flair uniquely it's own. This distinctly non aromatic blend produces an astonishing array of refined flavors ranging from mild to medium strength.

BrandNat Sherman
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (32)

An english mixture à l'américaine. It is a mild slightly cased offering that would serve as a good introduction to english mixtures for the aromatic smoker. I prefer my english mixtures to be more stout and leathery.

Similar Blends: Maiden Lane.

This is one fine blend. Refined is the best word to describe it. Well fermented components that are married together to give a superb, delicious English flavor. The flavors start great and get better as the bowl progresses. Peaks at about the 3/4 mark. This is wonderful tobacco. Mildly smoky, a little spicy, a touch of earthiness, and a great underlying sweetness.

A little moist. I like it a little dryer. Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Burns very well. This is real gem of a smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The only thing I regret is that I will not be able to smoke after I finish my reserve. As one can only buy it from Nat Sherman NY, so that being said I am going to miss it. It is something to smoke daily, excellently balanced.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Great pre-light aroma that reminded me a bit of Dunhill's EMP. It lit with only one torch (which is rare for me; I usually require 2 good torches and 1 or 2 touch-ups to a new bowl) and burned cool and even. The flavor was slightly sweet with a bit of leather flitting around in the background. Nothing special, but a good solid smoke. And THEN...the second-third begins to burn and brings with it that familiar toastiness that I'd been longing for, and BANG! Damned if I'm not smoking EMP! This is a very close match, and I'll be trying to snatch up some more tins before they're gone (thanks to SteelCowboy for the heads up).

I would not have tried it as generally I don't want any black Cavendish in an English mixture. As fate would have it, I needed to pick up some tobacco while traveling along the highway. I stopped at a modern "tobacco shop" meaning a lottery and cigarette shop. As luck would have it, 536 was the only tin/brand in the entire shop! I would imagine that the tin was fairly old. It packed well and was at the perfect moisture level. Fate dealt me a nice surprise. This is not an aromatic, but it does smoke a little on the sweet side of English. Smooth, with a light leather, smokey taste. If you like Latakia as your lead player, skip this blend. With that said, its not like the Latakia doesn't show up, its just in a supporting role. It does have its fair share of nicotine. If you happen to be in the NYC area, pick some up at the Nat Sherman store, it's a great traditional tobacco shop worth a visit. UPDATE: One other important note, I was in the store in NYC this weekend and they have told me that they are doing away with the 2 oz. tins and are looking for a new blender. This has caused some disruption at e-tailers. 2 oz. pouchs can be found at Nat's website and they have sold off all of their tins. UPDATE 3/2014: This has returned to production in tins, this review is based on the prior production.

Purchased From: Nat Sherman NYC

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

Nat Sherman's No. 536 is worthy indeed. The flavour is delicate yet it packs a whopping nicotine punch. The tin states that 536 is 'Full Bodied with Natural Bouquet' and that description certainly is fitting. In fact the nicotine level may be a bit much for me, but how I enjoy the velvety flavour and the splendid room note. No. 536 is what I have always imagined a top Dunhill blend should be. This being my 50th review here at TobaccoReviews.com, I am overjoyed to give a glowing report for this gold-tinned beauty. This is a classic that should be more widely available and recognised.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Very Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoke Latakia-English tobaccos 99 percent of the time. This tobacco is very strong in the nicotine department. On the flavour side, it is a respectable morning or all-day English. The downside to being all-day is the nicotine content might be too much for many folks. A few bowls and you might be 'done' for quite sometime.

It is very well balanced and the tobacco is of high quality, alas not enough in the flavour department. Mind you I do prefer a full-on Latakia assault like Esoterica's Penzance, Peases Odyssey, or Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd. It might be suitable for aromatic pipers who wants to try a high quality English. Other than that I shall not buy it again, just not quite my cup of tea.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (68)

This is an excellent middle of the road English blend that is light on latakia but has a nice touch of orientals. Course cut and burns quite easily. Has a nice seet note given by excellent Virginanians in the blend with a mild smokiness but exceptionaly creamy. As some reviewers stated, the nicotine content is high but that does not take away from the fine blend that is integrated nicely. It reminds me of a stronger Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill. From what I can tell, has a nice room note and as the latakia is in the background, makes it a nice indoor smoke when around people that might not like the full frontal assult of a full latakia like Odessey.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is a very good English blend. It has a lovely sweetness and burns very cool. The latakia is in the background and the orientals are up front. This reminds me of the great blends of the sixties, which I used to purchase from Wilke, Lane, Wally Frank and the like in Manhattan during my college years. It is a little too strong for regular use, but I will enjoy this tin and the memories it brings.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is of the tinned variety of this tobacco, which despite what some have written, is still available in brick and mortar stores - at least in NYC. The bulk variety can be bought online through the Nat Sherman website.

General impression: This is a mild English blend that has just the slightest hint of latakia in it. The tin smell is very pleasant and unusual in the sense that it smells both very sweet AND slightly smoky. The taste is not overwhelming nor bland and is best described as nutty and earthy. The latakia is not at all predominant and folds into the overall flavors well. Any sweetness is due to natural tobacco flavors, not casing, I think. It did not produce gurgle or bite for me, even when I tried to puff it fast, and burns nicely without too much relighting. Unlike a lot of English blends, this one is mild enough to allow you taste food afterwards and the room note gets compliments from non-smokers (I can't say this of all English-style blends).

Who should buy this stuff: You are looking for a mild, English-style blend that won't offend those around you and won't stay on your tastebuds all day. If you tend to puff fast or smoke outside this might be a good choice. I also think this would be a very good blend to introduce aromatic smokers (or even beginning pipe smokers) to the taste of English blends since it does not seem to have too much latakia in it. This would NOT be a good choice if your are looking for something heavy and ultra-smoky (e.g, Dunhill Nightcap).

Final notes: A good non-aromatic blend. It flavors won't have your waxing on and on with poetic lyrics, but it is very pleasant to smoke. Beverage recommendation: I would pair this with a gin or vodka martini.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I agree with CAMUS whole heartedly. I visited the store last May and regrettably only purchased one tin as a trial; not realising it would be my only opportunity to purchase it, (importing to Canada has become a fascist nightmare!). Moments ago I reviewed some syrian tobaccos and believe the sweetness in this is partly from this form of latakia. New to NY I happened by the store on Fifth Ave. by chance while exploring after a trade show. A real treat! If I'm ever in NYC again I'll be back for sure.

Camus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camus (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A good friend brought me a eight ounces from the New York store (I'm in New Zealand) and I decanted most of it into a jar to age for a bit. I liked this smoke right from the start and found it (as has been mentioned before) to be a sweeter English mixture. As I also like sweet VA's this tobacco really suited me.

Recently I dipped into the jar (after about four months aging) and it's just getting better and better. The virginias are even sweeter and the smoke has more body (however I do think it could do with a bit more Oriental leaf to round it out and make it a bit fuller). I know many will consider a tobacco like Squadron Leader to be a "truer" English but I recommend you to try 536, you may be pleasantly surprised.

If in New York a visit to the Nat Sherman store is a must - a wonderful "old style" tobacconist.

SparkleMotion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SparkleMotion (9)

This tobacco is very sweet for an english blend. Outstanding quality, and smokes so smooth I can inhale with no problem. But to be called a "classic english" I think it needs a little more latakia and less sweet. Why do they bother to write "non-aromatic" when its supposed to be a classic english anyway? Like you can have an aromatic english? Well now that I think of it, thats almost how I would describe this. In any case, whatever you call it and whatever it's composed of, the quality is outstanding.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm updating my review based on the new blender for this re-released tobacco. This new version has become my go to, daytime English.

From memory, something has changed in the taste from the old version, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. It's been so long since I had the old 536, though if I had to guess it seems that the kind of Orientals has changed.

Still, the essential character of 536 remains: mild-medium on the palate, a well integrated English that is creamy, sweet, with a surprising dose of Vitamin N. Surprising because it smokes so smoothly, without harshness or edginess.

The flavor of the Latakia and Orientals are somewhat distant, but intensify by dedicating a pipe to this blend. This is the key to getting the most out of 536: use an untainted pipe, dedicate it to 536, or you're not really going to taste it.

The overall impression is of a very premium product, no rough edges, no misbehavior, except in punch, which I welcome.

It should be noted that this comes in a 2 ounce tin, not 1.75 ounces, so the price is not as much as it seems.

This would be a high quality alternative to those not satisfied by EMP, London Mixture, Standard Mixture, and other light-medium Englishes.

I just want to emphasize that this blend oozes quality in all aspects, it's well worth trying.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Hot dog! An English blend with a nicotine punch worthy of my pipes.

This masterfully made blend has Latakia and Turkish leaf that will burn easily, cleanly and cool. I tasted quite a spicy undertone at first light, but the blend settled down into a deep, rich smoke almost immediately.

I think this has become my favorite English blend.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)

A good smoke, down to my last two tins, Ill buy it agan if I can find it. think Ill save my unopened tins for a while. smoked in a cob last year on a fishing trip, And liked it.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't see why this one is liked so much by the other reviewers on here. It didn't impress me at all. Its not bad but its not good either. It is a flavorful tobacco but seemed like something that could have came in a box from the drug store to me. Nothing special.

Surgeon General Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Surgeon General (2)

As other reviewers noted, this isn't available in tinned form except at Nat's NY store. It is available in bulk through their web site, but then you miss out on the beautiful tin. This tatstes and smokes fantastic. The latakia is in the background, and the orientals are superb. It's medium-moist direct from the tin, but burns dry and with lots of smoke. Usually only one relight, even for the large pipes that I usually smoke. Along with McClellands Oriental #8 and Peretti's English 110, one of the best of the genre.

Honestly, I bought this tobacco the first time because of the tin! It's so nice, one of the best around. The tobacco is one of the best around too. It's a perfectly balanced English mixture, the components are all of extreme quality and are blended to give a smoothness seldom seen nowadays. It reminds me a little of Butera Pelican, but the Virginias here add that sweetness missed in the Butera one.

This blend is very pleasant. Why do these companies quit selling a product right after I purchase them for the first time? Example: Edgeworth Slices, A&C Petersens' 421 Blend, Erinmore Flake. Well maybe Erinmore Flake was not a huge loss... This blend is a little like Skiff Mixture(Samuel Gawith)or Squadron Leader with less Latakia. The Turkish comes to the fore in this tobac and I enjoyed the quality of the ingredients as well. But these Nat Sherman tins are really tough to open. If you get too ham-fisted you'll bend it all up. I finally stuck a knife up under the lip and released enough vacuum to get it open. Well recommended.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Warning! This really is a great tobacco! I shall try to give a perfectly objective review as I would not want it tainted by any"Provincial Smugness"that might come into play. I have always enjoyed Nat Sherman Products since I started smoking them in the 80's.The pipe tobaccos are some of their finest offerings.Blend #536 offers a true Turkish taste.It is very smoky,buttery, and rich. The Latakia plays off this and gives a slightly sweet edge to the blend.The feel of the smoke is rather creamy with a sweet&sour flavor in the background.It is a much more refined version of a Stokebeye English blend.The burn is cool,yet it packs a punch.The only drawback is it burns rather quickly due to the cut.It is very satisfying during the day or after a nice and spicy meal. Unfortunately,this is out of production in the tinned form.My experience has been that it can only be procured on the east coast.If you find a tin buy it!3.5 of 4 stars!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

On the pea green soupy tin: the elegance of the Manhattan panorama circa 1935. In the tin: the olfactory greeting is burnt wires ala elevated/subway 3rd rail and buttered popcorn; more Gotham reminders, perhaps? In the pipe: pure, creamy smoking enjoyment. This is a full English, Oriental-based blend with exotic touches that is surprisingly direct, reliable and true. My New Yorker friend tells me this is not available west of the Hudson; apparently Nat?s hording it for boroughs only consumption. (Incidentally, why are all New Yorkers imbued with that annoying provincial smugness of pointing out all the things the rest of the world supposedly doesn?t have, and as if it really mattered? ? Yes, we have opera, pastrami and proctologists out here, too). Nevertheless, this is a fine blend, no matter where it comes from. Apparently, like so many other good things in this world, it?s being discontinued. I plan to stock up on a couple of remaining tins if I can. I remember Nat?s excellent cigars before he irreparably changed those beyond recognition. If you can find 536 in or out of New York, treat yourself to a bowl of this excellent mainstay before it's gone forever, and nobody, not even gothamites, will be able to enjoy it.

Three and a half of five stars

Florida Esquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Florida Esquire (7)

This blend (536) is called "EMPIRE ENGLISH" by Nat Sherman's. It is described as: "The quintessential British blend of exotic latakia, and Turkish Yenidje and Malhalla tobacco. Spicy, musky aroma and taste." To be frank, that's a fairly candid, straight-forward assessment. This is Nat Sherman's take on Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe or 965. Kind of somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, but not anywhere near venturing towards Nightcap territory. But, if you get the idea of what I'm trying to convey, then you might get the sense of what Nat Sherman might be trying to accomplish with this tobacco.

Honestly, they to do a dam* fine job of it. This is a very pleasing tobacco and one that I will continue to reach for time and time again. I only discovered it by virtue of the fact that a friend of mine recently sent me bushels of various Nat Sherman blends, this being amongst them. Aromatics and such aren't my cup of tea, and this being by far what I'm used to was certainly right up my alley. Very, very classic English and very tasty. A fine job indeed and for the price (less than $7.00 for a 2.0 oz bag), quite reasonably priced. Definitely would recommend picking this up if you are at all fond of the aforementioned Dunhill variations.