The most popular 'Latakia' blend in Europe. Scottish Mixture is comprised of Brazilian. Zimbabwe and Malawi Virginia (53%) which are blended with Malawi Sun-cured (10%) and Malawi Burley (17%). The relatively high proportion of Burley helps to carry the special Virginia casing which sweetens and favors the blend. To this we then add a small proportion of Black Cavendished Dark fired (7.5%) to cool the smoke and finally the Latakia (12.5%) The whole combination provides a very pleasant and easy to some tobacco with the background taste and aroma of Latakia.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste
2.3
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good English tobacco, typical Lakeland flavor without much soapy after taste, very classic lakeland flavor without any spectacular performance, relaxing smoke, natural and wild flavor, no topping/casing but still require your Lakeland dedicated pipe.

I am smoking 1oz of this with other 8oz sample from G. & H., good change of pace, maybe I won?t buy more

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco burned very well, and behaved it self well but it just did not grab me. With all the different blended tobaccos in this mixture I think it would have been better left alone. The casing was just present enough to be annoying. It masked all the delicate flavors that enticed me to try the blend. I did not necessarily enjoy the way this tobacco kicked ether, I think it is a cruel trick to have a subtle tobacco that packs such a punch.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Re-visiting GH blends this month after >6 months [the 'summer' months] piping mainly G.L Pease Va and VaPers. A confirmed "english" piper of many years, I am puzzled by Scotch Mixture - almost NO Latakia [just faintly perceptible]. Slight spiciness though for most of a bowl. Non-descript Virginia tastes - I detect a "grassy" note in the tin but not in the smoke. The Burley is there, but again rather non-descript!! As for casing ...? Altogether a bland blend - not even "Lakeland Essence" to comment on. Maybe this is because my bulk stock is >12 months old [with no manufacturing date known]! But the tobacco is still moist and I have no reason to suspect it is 'off!' My guess is that, compared to other 'mild' "english" blends, this GH effort is just TOO ordinary. It's not objectionable - pleasant enough if all you want is to puff away - but has no character. I pipe it when I don't need to spend time immersing myself in the tobacco, if you get my meaning! SUGGESTED ALTERNATIVE: GL Pease "Westminster" has good character, is mild enough not to 'injure' younger pipers, and rewards one who pays the price premium.

Pipe Used: Various - over >12 months

Age When Smoked: >12 months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes [bulk]

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I must confess that this was my first venture into the 'Land of Lakeland Essence' and I'm still trying to get my head around that...and this after being told that said essence is very light in this blend--Saints preserve--That being said, I was a little disappointed because this is NOT a traditional Scottish blend...Virginias, Burley, Cavendish...all well and good although the Burley is not absolutely necessary for a traditional blend...it the Latakia that I take exception to...In traditional Scottish blends, you would find Orientals and not Latakia...Seems like today the norm is 'When in doubt, dump in some Latakia'...the Orientals would not be as heavy as you would find in an old, traditional English blend...just enough to tickle the palate and make everything interesting...Strangely enough I would try this again to confirm my initial feelings...I know I'm a glutton...

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This is a difficult review for me to write, as I absolutely love GH & Co.'s tobaccos. This blend, however, is the exception to the rule. I bought about 2 oz of this around a year ago and I just finished it a few weeks ago. I had been mulling over it for a while and I just don't feel that this one spoke to me.

Don't misunderstand me; there's positively nothing wrong with this blend at all. It burned well and still had the nice GH mouth-feel that the other blends offer. I think that it just isn't for me. I found this blend to be just too bland to catch my interest; which is stange, because I like a lot of other tobaccos that other pipers find bland. Oh, well... Even for GH, they can't all be winners.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

The Lakeland essence is not as strong here as in some of GH&Co.'s other blends, but you will notice it. The Virginias seemed a bit subdued to me, but the burley came through with some earthy notes. There's a very light sweetness, which I assume comes mainly from the black cavendish, and not the other components. I got a very mild hint of spice, but not enough to write home about. The latakia is smokey, but doesn't provide its usual force, mainly due the floral Lakeland topping. It's not a bad blend, just not very special.

I like this blend, but it confuses my taste buds. Evergreen smokiness with a nice amount of spice and some floral notes. It just doesn't quite taste the way I would think a blend of these components would taste. The spice tastes very Perique like, but there is no Perique. I can't really discern the Burley. It all makes my head hurt to think about it. Even so, this blend has an appeal. I kind of like it. 2 stars.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like G&H. They make a bewildering array of quality pipe tobacco. But this one is a surprising departure from the experience I've come to expect from G&H's blends. Love them or hate them, G&H blends have definite personalities and flavors. This one has neither. The virginia lacks savor and the latakia tastes like another company's rejects. The blend's as bland and tasteless as a dusty attic.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The ounce of bulk I have makes me wonder if there is a quality-control issue or if this needs a lot of aging (or if I am just sensitive to Lakelands). In any case, for me, the dominate flavor was the Lakelands (although they weren't as powerful as in some other GH blends I've tried), with barely a hint of latakia. Mixing it with other blends, however, reduces the Lakelands enough to make it a refreshing change of pace

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I would find it very surprising if this actually is the best selling Latikia mixture in Europe as I think our brothers of the briar across the pond have better taste. I love many GH blends but this simply isn't that interesting. Yes, it packs well and burns well. Those that don't like the florals of GH will find this to be on the very light side in that department. It is cool smoking and those that enjoy a light English should give this one a try. I just think that given the number of tobaccos in this blend that it could have been much more interesting. Due to the high quality tobacco that GH produces, I'm sure there are some that will really enjoy this blend, but its not my cup of tea.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This has a nice bit of everything. It's sweet, but not too much, it's spicy, but the latakia doesn't dominate, and the Virginias are fairly bright but not overwhelming. I do find that I get a teeny bit of tongue bite from this, but it's not bad, on a scale of 0 to 10 with 5 being something I'd likely never smoke again, and 10 being Coniston Cut Plug or MacBaren Virginia #1, this rates a 3. I have trouble with bright Virginias and I think the Cavendish in this really helps tame the edges. Good stuff.

UPDATE I don't find any Lakeland style toppings in this, it seems to have zero casing, other than the cavendish being rather sweet and possibly cased.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk: Supplied in bulk, SM is a long, thin ribbon, shag cut, ranging from medium to light brown, mostly medium, with a small percent of black ribbon. There is a very mild smoky latakia aroma, and a faint sweet scent in the background. The ribbon is supple and not very moist. There is no sticky residue lift on the fingers.

Burning: Burns with one match all the way to the bottom.

Taste & Aroma: The Kendal Lake District floral arrangement is subdued compared to, let's say, N0. 5 Mixture, presumably partly masked by the latakia, which is likewise not very evident. The amount of latakia makes this a rather mild English blend.

Top of Bowl: Subdued floral taste

Mid-bowl: The mild smoky latakia partly obscures the small floral arrangement.

Nicotine: Mild

Room Note: Pleasant to tolerable

Overall: The tin description says it is cased. Not really a substantial English blend, the latakia barely making its presence known. Like other GH blends of this type, there is a definite but mild salsa effect on the tongue. 2.9 stars.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

Just thought I would add a little update about the 'tin description'....Here's a quote from the Gawith site:

SCOTTISH MIXTURE - A VERY TRADITIONAL BRITISH BLEND COMBINING FLUE-CURED VIRGINIAS, AIR CURED AND DARK-FIRED LEAF WITH THE ADDITION OF A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF LATAKIA. 100% PURE LEAF WITH NO ADDITIONAL FLAVOURINGS.

(Sorry about the CAPS. I'm not yelling at you, that's the way its printed by Gawith Hoggarth.) Now someone is probably going to tell me there is a difference between Scotch mixture and Scottish Mixture. If so, conk me on the head. They only list one.

8.27.2007: I saw a dust-covered paper sack of this blend behind the counter at a local (Sacramento) Tinder Box. The owner didn't even know it was there. Since it had been opened and not properly stored, the contents were quite crispy, and I got a good deal on two ounces. After re-hydration and combustion, I promptly went back for 4 more oz.'s. This is good. I'm guessing that the drying out of this blend reduced whatever top flavor there might have been to null, since I tasted nothing but tobacco.

It's a good blend. I add about five % Latakia to it. It's a little spicy and has a full round flavor. Smokes very cool and dry. This one I like to have on hand, though I only smoke a bowl a day.

My wife also smokes this one. She says it's the most relaxing tobacco I keep in stock. I plan on ordering more from cheaper sources.

p.s. As my wife is not a Full Time pipe smoker, this might be a good smoke for those new to the pipe.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this blend for the first time in a long time. Initially, I was a little disappointed, having remembered it being one of my favorites. After 4 bowls, I left it alone in the jar for a few weeks. Low & behold, I don't know what happened but it's high on my list again. Just as I remembered, it has that unique floral Virginia taste that is only possessed by Lake District blends. The Latakia gives it the smoky spice keeping the floral taste in check. I can almost taste a presence of mint somewhere in the floral arrangement, but then the nutiness of the burley supplements the other tobaccos in the blend. The cavendish though in a small amount, seems to tie everything else together, giving this blend a unique character. I've read many descriptions of this blend and half say there is a special Virginia casing, the other half say no additional flavorings. I am inclined to believe there are no flavorings, as my familiarity with Lake District blends sets certain expectations of how that natural tobacco tastes.

Another fine offering from G&H. More of a traditional English with Latakia taking the lead all the way. Too much Latakia for me. It is a quality smoke however and for those who like the smoky flavors to dominate, this is a winner. I much prefer the Virginias and Orientals to be more in the foreground. Three and one-half stars.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

08-10-04 This is another of the fine, exquisiste Lake District syle blends. For some of you that means "SOAP!" but weirdos like me, it means "delightful".

Appearance: Medium ribbon cut, mostly brown with occassional light and dark leaf.

Packing: easy, no fuss. Moisture is perfect.

Lightng:easy, two vestas

Initial Flavor: The floral flavor is there, but it is way in the background compared to most of the other GW blends, even less than their "Balkan" blend. The quality of the leaf used is also evident by the rich complexity of flavor.

Mid-bowl: This is where I like this blend best. This is a medium English blend, the latakia and turkish are there, but only as support. The VA in this can smoke a little hot so do sip this blend. The floral flavor comes out a little more.

Bottom of bowl: Slight build up of strength, The floral flavor recedes, the latakia and turkish give a slight "Tadum" and all you are left with is a grey fine ash.

Overall: This is a blend I like from time to time as a change of pace. I prefer to smoke it when I am not doing anything else so I can concentrate and enjoy its complexity. It does not have the fullness of a Balkan like I prefer, but is still a good smoke. I can see why it is so popular in the UK. Also, the nic content was fairly low compared to say, Dunhill. That is a plus for me!

Rating: 4 out of 5 points