Golden tobaccos. Refined with tobacco cultivated by Amish people. Indian-cut. Hand blended.

BrandIndian Summer

1.7
maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (56)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tend to find the previous reviews rather negative about that blend. Nice liquorice aroma in the pouch. Rather nice smoke. Much improved in a large bowl. May bite the tongue a little if smoked too quickly. An interesting blend, worth to be tried.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

What, in the name of all that's holy, is an Indian cut ??? Will Mac Baren next come out with a Mild Vanilla Cavendish Navy Mango Tomahawk-Schnitt ??

Notwithstanding the Americana tin, the doo-da about the Amish, and the implications above, this is a typical Dutch cavendish offering, originating in Germany, but marketed, in some parts, (but not in Germany?are you following this?) by a British-based multinational.

If you are into tin collecting, this is one of the loveliest (American prairie + Virginia cornfield postcard, as dreamt by a German Rockwellian Heimat illustrator...)

A lightweight, quality aromatic, Indian Summer is a pleasant, refreshing, sweet thing. No less, no more.

Try it in a Danish corn cob, why don't you.

Brendan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brendan (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm new to pipe smoking. But all i have to say is that it is blend. not really any flavour, but the best thing is that it has a pleasant smoke aroma. not really recommended to buy...really for beginners

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Ah well, when I lighted up my first bowl I said to myself "THIS IS LIKE DAN's SWEET VANILLA HONEYDEW" ! And in fact, honey is very well dominant in the puffs. Sweet room aroma, and a pleasant smoke for a very reasonable price. If you like aromatics, this is good. It's all about honey, here, with a small note of rum in the background, and maybe some vanilla. But honey dominates. When I buy danish mixtures I normally can smoke a bowl, and then forget it for a day or two. But with the Indian, I could smoke 3 bowls in a row and still be quite happy! It is an aromatic, and in my opinion all aromatics are just a matter of preference. So I can recommend it, 3 stars for the good price, an honest aromatic not disappointing me.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Took me a while to get a pouch of this tobacco. I was intrigued by the "amish peaople" factor. Upon opening th pouch I was greated by a sweet&sour aorma, and a fine combination of brown and dark leafs.

As I lit the tobacco a tnagy taste was felt. Soon a bitte rbit appeared. Alas, this tobacco was just to piquant to be smoked! The tasted did not evolved, and the overall taste was bland. I will not smoke it again.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought a pouch of this stuff 4 years ago and it took me quite a while to finish it up... Grayish tobacco whit strange aroma and not too much flavor. Burns hot... pass...

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember this tobacco mostly for being the first blend I threw away after smoking only a few pipefuls.

It first appeared in Germany in the very early 1990s, a time during which a huge number of novelty tobaccos hit the market -- few of which survived for more than two years in the stores (and some were only really produced for a few months but clung to the shelves as if they were glued on). And boy, do I miss one or two of them. Not this one, though.

The pouch I bought (mostly because of the claims on the package) contained a medium-cut, soggy Burley-with-something mix with a top flavouring that was mostly indefinable. Easy enough to pack, but burning excessively hot even after drying out for a bit, and for all the niceness of the package aroma, the smoke was a complete and utter dud.

Burley dominates heavily, as does some indefinable flavouring agent which is probably at least partially to blame for the tarry, sour taste that develops around half- way through the pipe.

Yeach. Thankfully, I haven't seen this blend in a local store for years.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

Something about the attractive tin and cultivation by the Amish people drew me to this tobacco. I was hoping for something a little special, but was disappointed with a boring shreaded burley with an artificial hickory kind of flavour. The smoke was bitter and bland and didn't burn particularly well either.

Great looking tin for my collection, but that's about all.

Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought Indian Summer in a 50 g. pouch a number of years ago, during a period of intense experimentation with pipe tobaccos. The illustration in the pouch was rather nice, and the description enticing (quite appealing to think one would be smoking the same stuff of American Indians of lore, whilst retaining a certain Amish purity).

Alas, the content was something else. A rather bland, semi sweet Cavendished-type of leaf, pale brown and uniform in color, that nonetheless burned pretty well. There was really nothing memorable about this smoke. It can be a nice change of pace as a summer smoke, but its lack of character and structure make it difficult to recommend. If looking for something similar, with a bit more poise, try Troost's Cavendish.

How can I top the review below? I can't. All I can do is ask the same question about Indian cut, concur that the tin is beautiful and agree that this is not a bad smoke for those seeking lighter fare. My tin came with a group of tins I purchased from Dan Tobacco about six years ago. If aging did something for Indian Summer, it wasn't much.