White Burley, Cyprian Latakia, red Virginia and unsweetened black Cavendish make this blend a name you'll remember.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is nice! Very similar to Morley's Best, only the latakia is further in the background and this blend is a tad sweeter (plus more of a nicotine kick). The cut of the tobacco is also completely different, leading to a much slower and cooler smoke. A nice example of an American-Enlighs mixture.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a Burley blend that I really like a lot. Doesn't have that bite that a lot of the burley's seem to have. I just got off the ciggies so sometimes I'll puff a litle too hard. Walter Franklin burns cool and delivers a nice consistent flavor from start to finish. Good, high quality leaf from Craig. If you like your Burley's, give Walter a try.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike the past two reviewers, I like this one a lot. I have tried most of the Cornell and Diehl bulk burley blends, and this one is definitely in the top 5, along with Morley's Best, Bailey's Front Porch, and Haunted Bookshop. (I know, that only makes four...) For the record, I like this one quite a lot more than Old Joe Krantz, which seems to appeal to a lot of reviewers.

I was prepared to write this one off when I read the ingredients -- plain white burley with a little latakia didn't sound too interesting, and I usually don't care for blends that include much cavendish. I grew to like old Walter more with each pipeful, though. There is just a teasing taste of latakia here, and there is a comfortable nicotine kick from all the burley. My sample was gone quickly and I'll be buying more of this one.

Update, April 2006

I have continued to smoke this one, and I like it more and more. I still find this surprising, since the ingredients sound just like those for the entirely undistinguished C&D Americana. But, this one works. It's a keeper.