A Virginia/Perique lover's delight! We start with Old Belt Red Virginias, add 25% Perique and press the whole before slicing into flakes.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Taste

USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (6)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Va / perique blends have, over the years, been my overall favorite tobacco. Something about that tart, acrid and "figiness" smell that just drives me crazy. My 2 most favorites are Escudo Navy and Bayou Morning Flake, with the later taking second. I will generally warehouse all my Va/ perique blends for at least 14 months before opening. I recently opened a tin of Bayou Morning that was 2 years old (lost, but then found)and to say it was fantastic would be an under statement. I also let the tin sit open for a day or two to dry it out somewhat. No doubt about it Cornell & Diehl have a winner with this one. This tobacco pairs well with an aged Merlot (181 or Robert Mondavi Private Selection or Reserve)or a cup of black, slightly cooled, Columbian Supremo.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

BMF is a broken flake of flue cured Virginas with a decent measure of perique. The tin note is of stewed fruit with the tangy perique scent added in. Tin mosture is slightly wetter than I'm have experiened with C&D tins but only needs a little drying. The flake breaks easily and runs out to taste. The burn quality is good, only requiring a few relights and burns down to a dry ash. Overall good VaPer flavor, with somewhat of a toast-like taste to the Virginias. Vitamin N is present. Pleasant VaPer room note. BMF is a quality offering worthy of consideration. The tin reviewed is from 5/11/10.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Ever since I crossed paths with Voodoo Queen, I have been a Perique freak!

This tobacco is actually quite eye pleasing. Nice shades of brown and red.

The bag aroma was very much like Voodoo Queen minus the Latkia and mocha flavoring.

The texture is amazing, supple flakes that crumble nice and easy, pack well, light excitedly all while delivering the anticipated reaction!

WHOOOA MOMMA! This is a spicy one! I smiled nice and broadly as I puffed away in bliss. Although its initial spice calms down after a bit, the VA gives its tasty elements over and then plays musical chairs with the Perique.

It's a tilt-a-whirl for your mouth!

To me, Perique is to pipes as Habano Ligero is to cigars. Perfect!

I have found myself another one. Great flavor, great taste, the nicotine is probably pretty strong, but I can't tell. I'm too conditioned to it. I didn't feel sick though, so it's not enough, but I will settle.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (11)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

even though the name suggests a smoked morning I do not recommend because it is strong for the time , there is a good amount of Perique if we compare with the ESCUDO and McClelland St. James Woods (because I tasted them with a deadline two weeks between them ) , it's a mix for those who already have an experience in pipe, because beginners could be an inhibiting factor in the noble art . The Perique is present until more than half of the bowl losing its strength in the final half , even me being a difficult tobacco smoking as this is very intense , but it is not indomitable , like any good tobacco complex requires is patience , if so it will be a truly smoke pleasurable. For this I chose a churchwarden , it helps to note the nuances of flavor . Not recommend to beginners as a first Vaper because, as said is biased to beginners , for both the ESCUDO is the best option but for those already acquainted with the Perique is an option and both

Bvalko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bvalko (1)

I wasn't prepared for the amount of nicotine. About halfway through the bowl it hit me hard and I was feeling sick. Next time I will smoke this much slower :) Overall I thought it had a smooth spiciness to it that was quite pleasant although the perique was somewhat overpowering. It's a rather one dimensional smoke in my opinion. If you're a beginner or accustomed to smoking latakia's and Virginias then go easy with this one the nicotine will catch you off guard.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

a very tart and acrid blend. i did not find this blend very good due to the high bitterness and acrid taste. it might be a good blend for those of you that likes that special tartness and acrid taste of perique.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Bayou Morning Flake is the quintessential morning smoke for the vaper lover. The red stoved VA offers a wonderful mellow sweetness, with the Perique providing some spiciness and strength. I find that this blend needs some moisture, else the strength will knock you of your chair. This is my go-to morning smoke, never failing to deliver that deep & tasty smoking experience.

I recently purchased an 8-blend sampler pack directly from C&D and since I told Chris I was a huge fan of Bayou Morning, he threw in a sample of this. I've finished it and enjoyed it but thought that it bore only a slight resemblance to BM, and I see my tastebuds are confirmed with the tin description above.

Perique is so difficult to work with, and it requires a deft hand to produce results that are close to perfection for my taste. Bayou Morning does that, BMF doesn't quite get there. This is still an enjoyable smoke, but the perique was applied a bit too liberally and it's slightly overwhelming. This reminded me of Solani Silver Flake on steroids - good tasting but a bit much for me to take. I still recommend this for those smokers with a stouter constitution than I possess. BMF produces a mouth-filling smoke and the flavor was enjoyable. I finished the sample with no complaints or ill effects but I believe I'll stick with regular Bayou Morning, a blend I consider one of the 4 or 5 best VaPers on the market. I'd recommend you start there and go to this one next.

AFEOD Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AFEOD Guy (4)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A good straight Va/Per blend. My main observation was its strength. I don't smoke cigarettes so maybe I'm less tolerant to nicotene than most, but this stuff seemed to really pack a whollop. It did light easily and burn well after being dried a bit, and had a good taste, if not a little heavy on the perique IMO.

Then, about 3/4 of the way through the bowl it hit me. I mean it litterally reached its muscular arm out out the bowl and punched me right in the head. Hard. I dropped(read: gently set down) my pipe and slowly crawled back into the house, whimpering and leaving a trail of tears behind me. I curled up on my couch in the fetal position, cursing all thing tobacco and sobbing like a little girl until the pounding in my nugget stopped.

POST-RECOVERY: I now smoke this blend much slower and in smaller doses, and do still enjoy it. Although I now wear a helmet in case it tries to attack me again. If you like strong blends with a little extra Perique try this stuff. You'll love it.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was my first foray into the world of VA/PERS and my second attempt at a C & D blend. So far, I'm not impressed. That doesn't mean C & D doesn't make a quality product. It's just that so far, I can't seem to get my arms around their tobacco. I love the idea of being able to buy locally blended products, but I'm having a hard time enjoying their smokes. I have three more unopened C & D blends that I will be reviewing at a later date and hope to have a better outcome.

Anyway, I'm not sure in this case if it's C & D or the perique. I'm not a big fan of pepper anyway, and this blend left my throat sore and just wasn't my cup of tea at all. In fact, I gave away the tin, minus about five bowls.

I will never condemn any tobacco because tastes are so different, and from reading the other reviews posted here, this blend is obviously well received. However, it just didn't work for me.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I really like this one. A great strong Vaper for the seasoned Vaper or Perique lover. The perique is pervasive, but not overwhelming as the stoved Vas are there adding their cider like sweetness to the mix. It is tasty and strong. They must like them strong on the bayou if this is how they choose to start their day.

Characteristic to C & D, the flakes are thick, but this does not bother me. It takes a little to get it going, but once lit it stays that way. Looking back on my notes I noted how I had four bowls of this in one day back in October and all were fantastic. This leads me to believe that this would also make a great all day smoke. It is not often you can say that about a nic heavy blend.

Another hit by C & D IMO

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

So far so meh.......sorry, I really wanted to like this one but it just seemed more than a bit disappointing. Not a lot of flavor/zip to it...and I was hoping the perique would take the drivers seat or at least ride shotgun but it just didn't even seem to be in there anywhere. I will give it another go in a meer and see if I can find the hidden perique.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

When I first tried this, I honestly didn't like it. I put it away and forgot about it. After I got a bit more experienced in pipe tobacco smoking I figured I'd try this one again. The tin had aged about 7 months and man it was a real nice tobacco. Now for the tobacco. It has a great tin aroma and while smoking it I noticed that the perique comes out here and there quite nicely. I didn't get any tongue bite this time like I had when I first tried it. The room note is pleasant too. I will be having this blend regularly now and will buy another tin for sure. I recommed this as I've grown quite fond of perique blends.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Beautiful flakes in tin, perfect humidity, packed nicely. Once started, burned very well. The tin aroma of this stuff is a study in balance between the VA's and the Perique. Old cheese, sweet oats, tangy lemon grass, earthy, funky aromas. All balanced on the figs, green hay, yeast dough, and oatmeal aromas of the Virginia.

The flavor does not have quite the same balance. The Perique asserts itself one minute and fades the next. But the bowl still gets better and better from the start to the bottom of the bowl. The Perique may be a little fickle, but it is some of the most delicious Perique leaf I've ever had. Perique Freaks will love this one. The PER in this VaPer simply has to be tried.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice Va/Per blend and like most Va/Per, it taste great in a corncob.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)

this review is coming from someone who will buy a tin of perique and puff away on it straight and be happy as a clam... this blend has tons of perique. it's well blended and very balanced with big perique flavor. the virginias are nice and fairly sweet.

this blend suffers from the C&D exploding flake problem. it's good when you first open the tin but after a while it's confetti.

great stuff. too bad c&d can't make a good flake cut.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Bulk: Broken flake. Since this had been in a bag for a few months, it was dry as tinder.

Packing & Burning: Lit and stayed lit readily, since it was bone dry, but it did not burn overly quickly. Provided for slight tongue bite. The flakes just crumbled, due to dryness.

Taste: Left a typical VAPER aroma with less emphasis on the perique.

Nicotine: Almost overwhelming.

Overall: The perique sledge hammer hit me just after finishing the bowl. The nicotine strength of the perique was really too much. 3.5 stars.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good VAPER to me but strong on Perique.

With that said i let the tin open for one full day before smoking it, not because it's to moist but to let it settle a bit because smoked when freshly open i had to hold my stomach for it was exploding so don't forget to let it open for a good amount of time.

Not a beginner's flake but not complex either just a decent VAPER .

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my fourth C&D blend, and it makes a perfect 100 % of my experience so far, by not letting me down.

The tin aroma is fully typical VA/Per. The flakes are just a little more intact than the other flakes I have yet experienced from Cornell & Diehl, but it still reaches me as a broken flake.

The texture is beautiful. I can see the point of those who say the slices are too widely cut, but I do not think they are. This 'baccy wants to be rubbed out into a wide bowl.

Smoked that way, the taste is consistent throughout the pipeful and gives me lots of sweetness with a good amount of spice -- with notes of green pepper and, incongruously, chocolate. But it works wonderfully together.

Thus far, I have needed a few re-lights for every bowl, but in the end there was no dottle, with a good, clean taste through to the end and the room note not letting off either.

The strength is good, but not remarkable; satisfying to me, it may be overwhelming to the beginner. On the other hand, this is real tobacco that tastes of tobacco and nothing else. Unlike a certain "early morning" blend by a famous manufacturer, I can actually smoke this in the morning without spending the rest of the day in close vicinity of the local ceramics department.

I have to agree with those who say that this is not the most complex smoke, but for the VA/Per novice who can take a little strength, this might be worth a try or two. For me, personally, it's what gets me up and going in the morning.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is rather heavy on the Perique-I am used to adding blending Perique to my usual VAs and VAPERs but this one really got up my nose, so to speak. I don't think I will smoke it every day. Very good as an occasional diversion, and I may find I like this blend once in a while, but I can't see myself buying more than two ounces at a time. A word on the cut of C&D-it can be a little bit coarse, but you have to dry it for at least two hours and rub it out thoroughly for best results. Or just get it to the perfect moisture level and stuff the flake, though this doesn't always work for me with C&D.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This rubbed out, packed, lit and stayed lit very well. The virginias in my tin looked more yellow than red. The tin aroma was like apple cider. I found the flavor to be much less complex and tending toward the upper registers as compared to St. James' Woods, which I recently reviewed. A bit grassy, sweet and fruity, with a touch of toastiness. Not bad, but not interesting enough to bring me back. I could get a bit nauseated smoking this, but I think it's more my particular reaction to perique than the nicotene strength (which of course comes with perique) or any other flaw in the tobacco itself. Somewhat recommended for va/per fans, especially those with a sweet tooth.

Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

These comparative broad, thick flakes had a good moisture content and presented no packing problems even without rubout. Initial lighting was a bit difficult but minimal relights were needed and a cool smoke without bite resulted. I prefer a stronger Perique influence if I choose a Va/Per and thought this blend lacked that, flavor and sweetness from the VAs from start to the end.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

ive had bad luck lately with C & D. Its swampy, dirty, if you like the peaty side of tobacco this is it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

First off, if you are a smoker of stoved va.s, or va/per blends, and you do not like this flake, you need to clean your pipe or something. The tin aroma is a little like a McClelland without the ketchup smell, with just a whiff of perique. If I'd had even the slightest of stuffy nose, I would never have caught the perique in the tin aroma. It smells predominately of stoved dark virginia, and it smells delicious.

Now, this flake is not the easiest to rub out. It is a thick broken flake, and my sample tended toward the leathery in consistency; a bit like an extra thick slice of Gawith flake. But lighting it was no problem. Thick clouds of smoke immediately billowed forth, gradually settling down to a nice, comforting stream of that familiar va/per aroma. The flake exhibited no tendency to bite; A+.

I smoked this in a nice sized Oom Paul, so I expected that it would be a troublesome affair keeping it lit. But, the tobacco continued burning with no problem, requiring only one relight toward the bottom of the deep bowl. I liked this flake. The pipe aroma was inoffensive; rather more pleasant the the acrid smell I am accustomed to with other va/per blends.

The flavor of this tobacco was that of a very high quality stoved va. with undercurrents (that's undercurrents, not undertones-like a river of...) of the best perique I have ever experienced. The perique, while by no means subdued, managed to provide a generous peppery texture to the va. without being overbearing. The perique used in this flake tended to make me think more of hues and textures than flavors. And that's a good thing; means it's working on several levels of my senses of smell and taste. The flavor was warm and seductive, like a woman from a far off exotic land. The sidestream smoke tickled my nostrils like a musky perfume.

For any fans of va/per, especially flakes, give this a try. If you are looking for a daily smoke that gets you by without a lot of effort, put it away for special ocassions. This tobacco should only be smoked if you have the time to truly appreciate it.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Distinctive Virginia-Perique flake, this comes in very thick, dark slices that are not the easiest to rub out or pack. Rather to thick to just roll up and shove into the pipe- I tried this and used up most of a box of matches keeping it lit, it needs to be well rubbed and teased apart before packing.

It doesnt have the best burning characteristics, and may be a little trouble to light and keep burning, but the flavour is well worth it- very distinctive and quite full. It has a dusty, cigar like characteristic, slightly smokey but unlike latakia, which builds up in strength through the bowl. About halfway through the taste of perique becomes apparent, with a nice background pepperyness, but does not dominate- the taste of the other tobaccos is so strong.

It burns to the end, but with many relights, without gurgling, and without harshness, just becoming a stronger taste. Nonsmokers may not like the smell, it is quite strong, but it is not foul. I enjoyed it as a change from the more fruity style of Dunhill Navy Rolls- it is a distinctive and individual tobacco.

-----------------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------

I keep trying with this stuff, as the flavour is quite enjoyable- really peppery, and yet somehow mellow if smoked really slowly. The only way to make it smokeable is to rub it out really well, right into ribbons. And the cut is so thick, these really are ribbons- I can almost tie my hair back with them! I've had thick flakes (Holger Danske Royal Navy) and thin flakes (St Bruno) and all have worked quite well. This stuff looks like they chopped it with an axe... I think they would have been better off to leave it in sticks and sell 2 oz chunks as plug. All it would take is a sharp knife to make this into something wonderful.

LearnedHandsome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LearnedHandsome (10)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not a bad smoke, but it involved a lot of work and very little reward. The flakes are fairly coarse and broad. Out of the tin the tobacco was too moist and required many relights. I often break up flakes rather than rubbing them out fully, but with this tobacco, even when dried out, and rubbed out, I was relighting too often.

The flavor is initially mild and unexceptional. It gets stronger midway through the bowl but it is not any more enjoyable. It gains strength but is still bland and one dimensional. This blend's perique was more prominent than what I am used to. Perhaps perique specific fans would appreciate the dynamic here. Bayou Morning Flake is not good enough to warrant such effort.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I find this in no way mellow or smooth. It is really all about perique cloaked in sweet leaf (though not sweetened) with nothing else to write home about. The leaf quality is good. My beef is with the blending. I agree with another reviewer that the cut is also unimpressive.

I have an unopened tin each of Kajun Kake and Pease's Fillmore. These are are going to be my last trys with Va/Per. blends from C&D/Pease. I hope they are good, as I like to buy from my countrymen when possible.

writer_robin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
writer_robin (7)

Oh, my! This is my first perique. Very tasty, almost chewy. Tried some in my Peterson Shannon #3. A mouthful of smoke leaves my mouth tasting almost like I have just eaten something satisfying. And did I detect a slight hint of black pepper?

It gurgled a bit towards the bottom, but I put that down to not packing my pipe well.

I'm fortunate enough to work out of doors most of the time, so it's easy for me to grab a smoke during the day. I'll be keeping my tin of Bayou Morning in my tool chest for an all-day smoke.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I really liked the packing and cut of this tobacco. Perfect moisture level right out of the tin; two inches long, thin strips stacked together in a bundle, with various browns and darker browns wrapped in a paper holding in the moisture and aromas. The tobacco burns great, has an excellent earthy and spicey taste, and keeps a uniform flavor throughout the smoke. Right now it is cold in the midwest, and this tobacco is just right.

Ima Puffin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ima Puffin (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I?ve gone thru 8oz pretty quickly, so I guess I like it. But it tends to get nasty towards the end, really heating up. It?s rather moist, which is unusual for C&D. It seems to be getting better towards the bottom of the can, perhaps due to drying out a bit. Don?t think I?ll go for this again, as 8oz costs $30, and I can get a whole pound of MC2015 for $25, and I like it better. This is the only flake C&D produces, they told me on the phone. Expensive for them to produce, sounds like, takes them three days to press and process a batch. A very nice flake, obviously high quality tobacco, but not worth the premium price.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

I made the mistake of smoking two tins of Bayou Morning Flake within weeks of taking up the pipe. Then I went ahead and ordered a pound of the bulk version having never sampled the blend. It's fair to say I burned out on Bayou Morning Flake, which was probably my first favorite smoke and a worthy introduction to Perique. It's been a few years, I should probably put in another order.

=Original Review=

Bayou Morning Flake was one of the first tins I bought when I started with the pipe, and I couldn't stop praising it at the time. I began vigorously tracking down Perique blends as a consequence and having tried most of the big ones, I now find myself underwhelmed.

I just find this bland. It's not lacking in strength or flavor, but what flavor it does have is consistently boring, and the stoving process of the Virginias just seems to take something away. The flake is very thick and hard to pack, which isn't too disconcerting..almost preferable due to the unique presentation. The tin aroma is distinctive and interesting--something of a yeast sort of smell.

With about ten ounces of the bulk ribbon cut version, 067, aging at two months, I probably wouldn't bother buying this again. If you're interested, the bulk has a more diverse taste and only seems to resemble the flake in that the two contain Perique. I'll have a hard time finishing this.

Funny how tastes change.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

UPDATE: 07/06/05 I rubbed out BMF more completely. It dried out a little, but the moisture was about perfect the day I opened the tin. The "bitey" reference in my original review was more of a bitter taste and upon closer examination, that briar had started to go sour, a condition I have since remedied. I have tried it in a small 3/4 bent Meershaum. This yielded more tobacco taste than the briar, less than the Missouri Meershaum cob I tried originally.

I like a stronger tasting tobacco, one with more body. BMF does not make the grade for me. I am down-grading my rating accordingly. Too bad. I had such high hopes for this one. I do not intend to buy it again. I am getting tired of high priced tinned tobacco disappointments. *

I have concluded that I do not fit the profile of the test population that Cornell&Diehl must use to test their blends. The first two were Canal Boat and Cumberland something. Both left me unimpressed.

Last week I purchase a 2 oz. tin of Bayou Morning Flake for $11.50 at a local tobacco shop (the only game in town). One cannot fault this blend with regard to quality. It is top notch. No stems or tobacco dust. And I enjoyed the odor of my second-hand smoke: a nice tobacco scent.

The taste was extremely mild to my palate, almost to the point of being tasteless. It responded best in a large Missouri Meershaum that has become my favorite pipe. In a large 1/2 bent briar there was less taste and it began to get "bitey" towards the end of the bowl. I am going to let it dry a little and try it in my small 3/4 bent Meershaum

The red Virginia in Bayou seems to have virtually no sweetness to it. There was little flavor or depth. To use sound as an analogy, it struck me as thin, high pitched and flat.

I have rated it a 2 because I am hoping that a little age, a little drying will improve the impression it has made thus far. If I don't see any improvement I will not be buying more.

Another Virginia-Perique blend. This time C&D succeed in making a really quite, soft flake, in which the two tobaccos merge perfectly. It brings neither the power of the Escudo or Three Nuns, nor the great aroma of CAO Midnight Ride or Limerick, it keeps up the flavour rather than build it up throughout the bowl. A good all-day smoke for Perique lovers.

I don't know if someone with a sense of humor packed my tin or if it is suppossed to look like half chewed cigar butts. I had to dry this tobacco in an open Mason jar for about three days to dry it up enough to smoke. I will try this again later as my initial experience differed so greatly from my fellow reviewers but for now I have to buck the tide on this mixture.(Note: this review was originally posted under Bayou Morning instead of Bayou Morning Flake where it belongs.)

5/17/2005: Have to raise this one star to three. It has finally given up enough moisture to be nicely smoked. Nice tang and tasty Perique.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

Bayou Morning Flake IS different than the original Bayou Morning from C&D. The taste is very "peaty". It does not have the sweetnes of Bayou Morning and is not as complex. It burns very cool with NO bite. The flakes are unusually large and it seems a bit moist. I did let it dry for a few hours and enjoyed the smoke more. I really like this one. Recommended!

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium Mild Medium Very Strong

Very nice plain smoke and I like nice plain smokes. There is absolutely no bite and I smoke this tobacco after a day of virginias when the mouth and tongue are sore. BMF comes through every time. The perique lets its presence known from the first puff but it is not overwhelming. Try mixing BMF with Briar Fox (50/50). It's great. I call it Bayou Morning Fox.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Addendum 02/10/05 -

With 3 months of aging the sweet notes remain through out the entire smoke - underscoring the cigar and pepper tones. The cigar like notes, the slight "oily" flavor, and the texture of the leaves once rubbed out points to some burley added into the blend, even if it is in very small measure.

With age the blend pulls away from similarities to 2015 and becomes closer to St. James Woods in subtle textures. In fact I believe overall I prefer this tobacco to the McClelland pressed VA/P offerings - though it is less smooth and more cigar like.

Do beware - the strength of the perique rivals Haddos Delight in intensity. For me, this is a nearly perfect VA/P pressed flake.

More than a Bayou Morning, I believe I sense a murky bayou night in this blend.

I've only smoked from a freshly opened tin with a few hours drying time, so this review will likely shift over the coming months. I've found the "freshly mixed" nature of the C+D blends offers a great opportunity to try a blend while young, and really get a sense of its maturation.

The dark mottled red and brown flakes are luxurious to break up and pack. That process releases a sweet and tangy aroma. The drying seems to get the cake to just the right texture and burning time. A little seems to go a long way, and a light pack is recommended.

Like many pressed VA/P blends I find that initially it seems a bit raw and flat in youth. I like strong perique but the intensity of the initial few puffs caught me off guard. Once the smoke settles in it evens out to a nice tobacco flavor with the perique heightening and waning in "pep". Someone described it as "peaty"...a perfect notation.

As far as room note, my significant other described it as smelling like "old arm pits". I think that about sums up the reaction it will usually engender in a closed house.

It is a completely different animal from the revered Bayou Morning (probably the blend I think of when going for VA/P).

More high marks for C+D. I look forward to tasting the blend after some maturity.

My probing palate couldn't find anything special or noteworthy about this blend. It is tart rather than sweet or fresh tasting (I like a little sweetness in my Virginia leaf), and gullywashed my tongue with Perique.

Several of the above reviewers noted the cut causing a packing problem. I concur.

One of the above reviewers said, "I find it difficult to find superlatives worthy of Bayou Morning Flake." Again, I concur.

On the plus side, it arrived at my doorstep at a perfect moisture level. And, when packed properly (after much effort), it stayed lit well.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I found this to be a pleasant enough blend with enough perique to keep anyone happy. The Va's aren't very sweet, but instead remind me of the variety used in Briar Fox, of which this blend is a close cousin. At the Kansas City Show last year this stuff sold out in record time. So why not the higher rating?

I abhor the cut!!!

C&D is the only company that I know of who uses it, and I must say that it vexes me to no end. If it were only sliced thinner I think it would be much more manageable. Now before everyone gets going I should point out that Flake form tobacco is my favorite style due to the control one has over the tobacco. But these chunky slices come apart in sheets of tobacco leaf that do not burn well for me at all. I will stick to 633 and Escudo, both of which although burn hotter, are also sweeter, and much easier to control.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As a longtime fan of Virginia/perique blends, I find it difficult to find superlatives worthy of Bayou Morning Flake. I will sidestep an overly baroque encomium by stating that this is simply magnificent tobacco, an unassailable testament to the blending skill and consistent quality of Cornell & Diehl.

The flake is crumbly and, to me, perfectly moist. The visual and tactile pleasures this blend lends to the packing of my pipe give way upon lighting to one of the supreme smoking experiences a Virginia/perique lover like myself can have. BMF is strong on the perique, so be warned. The intensity builds down the bowl, so that by the last third one is in virtual perique nirvana. I never want it to end, but the bowl of my pipe is not bottomless, so what can I do? Oh, yes--grab another pipe and smoke another bowl.

Escudo, Three Nuns, Haddo's Delight--all superb testaments to the pleasures of Virginia and perique. To my estimation, however, they are mere aspirants to BMF's extraordinary quality and exquisite finish. In its category, this is the best there is.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have been sticking to my old standbys lately and have not tried anything new to review. So I figured it was time to get moving.

I was just at the N. Cal. pipe show in Sacramento. A great time it was. If you are in the area next year, plan on attending.

At the show I tried some Bayou Morning Flake. I generally like VA/Perique blends, so long as the Perique is on the light side (too much and it gets my hayfever going). Appearance of this tobacco is thick yet short flakes. A fairly uniform medium brown in color.

A bit tough to light, which I assume is attributable to the thickness of the flake. Once burning, however, it is just fine and very comparable to most flakes. A nice VA flavor which is a bit on the strong side. Not spicy or tart like with a McClelland. Just good solid tobacco flavor. The perique is there to zip things up, but not overwhelming.

All in all a fine tobacco to try if you like stronger VA flakes.

pipco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipco (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This comes as an oddly cut flake. The flakes are thick cut and fall apart almost on their own. It comes with a perfect moisture content and lights and burns well. My problem with this tobacco is that it lacks flavor. I'm not sure I'd guess it even contained virginias. No sweetness nor any of the hay/oats flavors I look for. The perique dominates the flat flavors of the other tobaccos even if it's not added in high percentage. A fan of savory blends [read no sweetness] might enjoy this one more than I do.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Bayou Morning Flake arrived in a 2oz tin resplendent in the lively label art that I think of as a C&D trademark. Upon opening the can and removing the paper top cover I was greeted by a nice aroma of yeast and caramel. The flakes are presented in a rather chunky, agreeably homespun fashion, cut wide and somewhat broken.

I enjoy flake tobacco so much partly because of the ritual of preparation I indulge in, taking the time to rub out the tobacco, thus enjoying its texture, composition, and fragrance. I found this process difficult here, because the flakes were so thickly cut. I wound up with a lot of one ply pieces about 1/4 inch square that were hard to pack. I will just break it up in the future, without rubbing.

The tobacco took slowly to the match, but once under way released a satisfying rich caramel scented smoke supported by a cool slow burn rate.

It didn?t take long for the perique to dawn on this peaceful scene, beginning at about the second quarter of the bowl of the 1950s Wilke Dublin that did the initial honors. The perique stands in pretty stark contrast against the velvety dark flavor of the pressed virginia, presenting a sharp tangy effect and negating (sad to say) the once lush burnt sugar flavors and aroma. Yet, by the third quarter of the bowl, the taste of this whimsical tobacco had transformed into a powerhouse combination of pepper and blackstrap molasses, similar to the very end of a Dominican Cohiba. A smoky spicy treat!

This is my first foray into the realm of virginia/perique flake. I have not had the advantage of trying regular Bayou Morning, which is supposedly quite different. I am however, a chronic smoker of virginia flake, and would assert that this is equal to any (better than some) in flavor and smokeability, with the added joy that only perique can bring. I can?t help wondering, though, how the beautiful pressed virginia would be standing on its own.