Full Bodied Virginas Blended With A Touch Of Latakia.

BrandGolden Blend Tobacco Co.
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.2
KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco requires an experienced smoker and a developed palate. Don't expect this to be a "low maintenance" smoke. But then blends that are worthwhile often require attention while smoking. I believe too many have expected this to smoke like an OTC blend and there is just a bit more to it.

This blend begins with the aroma of peach and an aged VA flavor. There is a somewhat better than subtle English/oriental taste that begins to flow as the bowl progresses. Once mastered, this blend will dance over your palate with a cool fruity sweetness mixed with just the right amount of spice from the Latakia. The result is a very good bouquet of flavors with medium complexity.

Disclosure: my tin was a year old when I opened it. Perhaps a little aging makes a difference. Also, if you don't have the patience to manage the lighting (which, as I said does require some attention) then try drying the blend out a bit before filling.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I bought this tin about a year ago and read some of the reviews and decided to open it up and try it. The previous reviews were pretty much on the mark. It burns hot, slight peach flavor then no flavor and burns out fast. Had to relight numerous times. I would spend my money on something else.

Johan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johan (3)

O.k., I like trains, (yep I'm one of those people) passenger trains in particular, especially blue trains (go B&O royal blue!). So I laughed when I saw this and ordered a tin.

burns a bit hot, it's got a bite, I do like the hint of candied fruit. maby thats what everyone else is calling peach. Bit of citrus.

Pipe Used: Nording free hand

Similar Blends: W.O. Larsen - Edition 2013 but only similar.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

I wish I had seen the reviews before buying the 100g tin. This was a true case of expectations being built up, and then severely let down. The tin art is gorgeous. The moisture level in the mylar resealable bag inside the tin is optimal. The tin aroma is enticing. It packs well and is of long ribbon cut strands. The charring light gives you a quick bright white puff of VA leaf smoke and some notes of peaches and pinot grigio. This starts to look very promising. Then it grows HUGE SHARP TEETH. BITE! BITE! BITE! BITE!

I thought maybe I had gotten over eager and puffed to hard or fast. Or maybe it needed to be loaded into a larger pipe. Hell, I tried every pipe in the rotation just about. All it did was BITE!

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

This would be a fine tobacco if I could just find the right moisture level and packing technique to keep it lit! This blend always goes out on me when it's just getting interesting. Definite peach scent upon opening the tin. Slight peach flavor while smoking - the natural Virginia flavors seem to take center stage throughout. Just use caution, this blend will bite if you get too excited.

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The moisture of Blue Train was just right out of the tin.

The cut of Blue Train makes it very easy to load. The bowl stayed lit and produced a wonderful amount of smoke.

The tin makes note that Blue Train been "Aged in Oak barrels, the blend is enhanced by the exquisite aromas of natural peach and vintage Fumee Blanc from the Pearl Valley, for an Irresistible bouquet" I was unable to taste/smell any of those attributes in Blue Train.

I have tried this blend a few times and have yet to find a pipe combination that produces the wonderful smoking experience that I desire.

I will continue the quest but for now can find nothing except the smoke plumes and the tine art to give this blend higher ratings.

Just not for me....