Medium English blend of Virginias and Latakia with a bit of Cavendish for a slightly sweet taste.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
ContentsCavendish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (16)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been slowly working my way through Wilke's blends and Orlik's new Dunhill blends. In some ways many are similar which surprised me. At any rate, PC was a pleasant shock. After a number of years, Latakias just underwhelm me so I was apprensive in trying this blend. The nicotene strength is low so this could be a great all day smoke if anyone does that these days.

I don't think it is cased. The virginias are full but don't nip and the Latakias are soft while they cooperate with the other tobaccos and behave themselves. I am sure the cavendish plays a huge role in this. The quality of the leaf is high as with all Wilke's blends so far. This is a very balanced tobacco. The result is a sweet, smooth, and balanced delight. Some one wrote it reminded him/her of Chelsea Morning. I went back and checked. Yep, they do have so elements in common, but PC is a little sweeter which is fine with me. Room note is good when my wife came she didn't roll her eyes at me. Remember there are bad tobaccos and good tobaccos. Then there are really good tobaccos. PC is a really good tobacco. It deserves your attention. 4 stars.

tubehead71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tubehead71 (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is easy latakia blend that one can smoke all day. Wonderful English with a nice smooth background taste. It reminds me of Chelsea Morning. I like to smoke Pipe Maker's choice on a cold winter night like tonight. I love many blends from Pipeworks and Wilke and this is part of a regular rotation.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My first encounter with this blend is analogous to how I find pipesmokers after meeting them for the first time: often unimpressive, a bit abrasive yet tolerable over time, and occasionally adding benefit to the smoking way.

PC has gone from a "I wasted my nickels" to "Where did I put that pouch." I can't say that this is a daily craving, but PC hits the spot when a uncomplicated, comprehendible, darkly sweet and mildly rich smoke pushes the "Send" button on the tobacco wireless.

The Cavendish is really the star here, Latakia playing only the bit part with the modicum of flue-cured. This would be entirely different if the Cyprian were removed entirely. I do not get a Dunhill My Mixture 965-thing from PC. Perhaps it would if it had pungent Macedonian leaf added and more Lat. PC does manage to distinguish itself from PW's Bestmake. It is all-around darker and warmer than Bestmake, like a swarthy uncle married into a Scots-Irish brood.

Two stars because it is somewhat recommended, not at all to be avoided. Try it in group 3 or 4 size bowls (it is altogether undistinguished in larger chargers).

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Another fine offering from Carole at Pipeworks & Wilke.

High quality leaf blended for a smooth light english blend that is an all day smoke. It has a slight sweetness of vanilla, but I dont think it is cased. The virginias are proper, with a hint of latakia to keep things interesting with cavendish bringing up the rear.

The nicotine content here is low, so I find it particularly attractive as an all dayer. The plus here is that it has that slight hint of sweet vanilla/caramel that really sings for me. Pipemaker's Choice would be the ticket for those who want a mild english "crossover" blend to make the transition from aromatics.

The room note is very pleasant, and always draws compliments from those around me.

Once again, this is a very high quality blend that deserves to be in your rotation. I keep a pound of this blend around as a staple mixture. Highly recommend.

mcbpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mcbpipe (11)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very balanced smooth blend.It is I guess a mild to medium english with slight sweetness from a small amout of cavendish. I find this addition well balanced & adds not distracts from the base tobacco tastes. This, #10, & Gramercy are my favourites & if I had to stop adding to my rotation these would be my 3 tobaccos in there different genres. They are not finicky about the pipe, the tendencies of the smoker & yet tate like tobacco.

This blend is spicey and sweet, with a delicate compliment of Latakia. Indeed, the Cavendish plays the lead, with other types of leaf for support. This one can burn hot when it is fresh, so let it dry a bit. This intensifies the flavor as well. Even after drying, this one was a bit bitey for me. I strongly discourage getting too greedy with this stuff.

This is a rather unusual blend, but I feel it would make a nice change of pace for the open minded. Die hard English fans will probably hate it.

This one nips me a little too often to keep it around, but it's probably a personal problem! Flavor wise, this is quite good. It's certainly worth a sample.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is incredible! One of the best medium english mixtures around, for sure. It's spicy, tasty with an aroma so good that it will be a hard work to find something similar. It can be the perfect all-day smoke even for who's not a latakia head.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the epitome of an aromatic English blend! Right out of the gate this gets 4 stars!It has a very English taste with the latakia as a key component,yet it has an aromatic oatmeal aroma and flavor.If you like Gotham Court and wish to take the next step up to a full English this is your ticket.There is nothing on the market like this and i have smoked over 200 blends,so when ordering from Wilke make sure you get some of this.

pipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipper (11)

This is a terrific medium English blend that has become my afternoon favorite in my daily rotation. The latakia gives it the robestness and smoothness that it posesses. There is a underlying flavoring that surfaces throughout the smoke, making this a very unique blend IMO. It burns slowly, allowing me to savor this treat. I actually prefer this now to Dunhill's London Mix as my all afternoon smoke. Perhaps it is because of the light application of cavendish in this blend. Whatever it is, it is very satisfying and worthy of your consideration.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

This is the first tobacco in a long time that just knocked my socks off from the first bowl! Once again, the folks at Pipeworks & Wilke have hit another one out of the park (I understand that this blend was first created by famed pipemaker Elliot Nachwalter).

This is an extraordinary (and uniquely different) medium English blend made of very high quality leaf. The VA base is full and rich but has no bite. The Latakia is low-key and floats in and out for nuance without taking over. What sets this tobacco apart for me is the addition of natural style (not cased black) Cavendish. As in Dunhill's 965, the Cavendish takes the tobacco from standard English fare to something special. With Pipemaker's Choice, the Cavendish adds a sweetness and warm spice that perfectly balances the VA and Latakia. However, this is not an aromatic English. Instead, it is a sweeter natural English blend with undercurrents of spice like nutmeg/cinnamon (you really have to try it to understand what I mean).

The cut is a mix of shorter ribbon and rubbed out flake. Burns clean and dry all the way down to the very end of the bowl.

I really love this tobacco. I truly have smoke nothing quite like it before.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Dick Cheney of pipe tobaccos: rich, bitter, and monotonous.