A selection of the best light and aromatic high-quality Virginia tobaccos. The fragrant fruity bouquet of delicately cool, aromatic brilliance guarantees superb smoking pleasure.

BrandBrebbia
2.6
Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Romanza no. 1 is something very different from what I did expect from the description when, in August I bought, after looking at the catalogue of the Brebbia's at my local tobacconist… Not a Virginia blend with some delicate topping, but a full aromatic in the most tipical European vein, Black Cavendish included. I'm working slowly and with some difficulty through the pouch, and sure I will not buy it again. Radford's Sunday Fantasy, or Cellini Forte are something similar in my memory, and all three are not my cup of tea.

Nevertheless I cannot truly say Romanza is a poor quality blend, not at all. It burns well, cool and dry, delivering a mild-to-medium smoke having well balanced fruity/spicy flavours never covering the tobacco completely. The first puffs smelling to me like powder (I mean face powder). Not bodied, nor sweet, the same way the aromatics commonly are. Does not turn bitter and doesn't bite.

Some small chunks of Toscano cigar and a couple of pinches of Cuban picadura were my remedy.

Two stars.

PapaGwan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PapaGwan (1)

Initial Impressions: I find this 'bac to be fairly mild in taste, though some flavors do certainly pop out. The charring light was not a pleasant experience; it seemed the hot burn of that initial light was somewhat akin to burning paper. Not good. However, a few minutes after the char and once a steady cool burn was going, the flavor turned quite reasonable without the acid bite.

Pros: An excellent fruity, berry-like flavor is hiding under the bitter exterior of this 'bac. It is a very interesting flavor, almost like a green apple. Tart, yet sweet at the same time. It is unique to this tobacco. A very pleasant taste.

Cons: To my pallet, I noticed an intense bitterness first and foremost. The bitterness was not really unpleasant, just somewhat overwhelming. It was far from an acid bite, but it was not to my particular tastes. It made it difficult to taste any other flavors in the 'bac.

Secondly, it does burn sloppy. Pretty even, but there is definitely alot of moisture in there. I would suggest letting it dry a little from tin to get the best, cleanest driest smoke you can.

Bottom Line: An interesting blend, definitely worth trying, but not something I would smoke on a regular basis. This one is going in my aging cupboard!

~PapaGwan

Arrostos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arrostos (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this one (though I'm not an aromatics lover) because of its strong rum-like taste and flavor which co-exist harmonically with a good puff of nicotine. One of my ten favourites.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I may be wrong - but I will never buy this again.

For starters it burns quite hot. To me, it is quite close to AMPHORA RED - althought the "Find Similar" option does not return Amphora. Intererstingly, the "Find Similar" thing returns "Golden Ambrossia". In either case both are better.

I only remember two things: I found it quite hard to go through the entire pouch, but I did. My wife totally disliked it.

As an aside: The "Find similar" above will also return "Brebbia Allegro" (Brebbia yellow or #4) as similar. To me these two could not be further apart.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps that my pouch wrote Romanza #01 instead of Romanza #10 has something to do with it (I doubt it - Brebbia's site does not list a #10). In any case I am not keen to verify my initial impressions.

Castro Spendlove Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Castro Spendlove (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I wanted to like this mix but it was far to sweet. Not sweet in the sense of sugar-sweet but sharper like an acid-drop or tartrazine. I'll leave it for a while and come back to it.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This is a very pleasent fruity flavored cased VA. Aromatic lovers should dig this one.

I was offered a couple of bowls of this tobacco by my tobacconist: it's a decent German-style aromatic, not too goopy and actually quite sweet in the first half of the bowl and if puffed slowly (but it may become sour and bitter in the end). Nothing of particular interest to note: usual broken ribbons of varying sizes and colors, and the usually undistinguished fruity flavoring that is common to many european aromatics and that makes you wonder whether it's actual fruit or some chemical. As I said, not bad in its kind, but virtually undistinguishable from the thousands of pouched Larsens, Cellinis, Amphoras, etc. etc.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Just a note! In my selection of Recommendation- I smoke this on occaision or not my cup of tea, I do not pick these literally as for instance with this blend which I find very pleasant and not really being an aromatic puffer I really do not intend to purchase another tin of this. This blend is very good and tasty but not really what I want from a tobacco. It really does taste and smell like pistachios on lighting. However the aroma from the tin does not. I will have no trouble finishing the tin and who knows maybe on finishing the tin my opinion will change. For an aromatic smoker I think you will really enjoy this blend, however I do not see this as an all day blend.

darryllewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
darryllewis (1)

This blend was a complete surprise. I received a tin free with the purchase of a pipe, and my tobacconist told me it was flavored with pistachios. I am partial to aromatics, but I usually associate them with sweet flavorings...vanilla, cherry, whisky. (Yeah, whiskey's sweet!) I associate pistachios with salt.

The tin aroma was fruity...no sense of pistachios. The tobacco was a mix of golden, dark brown, and light yellow Virginias with just the right moisture content. Before lighting, I was sure my tobacconist was wrong about the pistachios...after all, Brebbia also has a blend called Adagio that mentions pistachio flavoring in its description.

Lighting up brought the surprise. The flavorings were very mild. The Virginias came through loud and clear, along with a very mild, fruity aroma and the distinct taste of genuine pistachios. What a delightful and unexpected combination of taste and smell!

Romanza #10 lit and smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl, leaving only a light gray ash. It's quality tobacco. It's a bit too costly to use as my all day smoke, but it's become a favorite I smoke regularly.