So versatile you can carry a month's supply on you at all times. Choice Virginia, latakia and Turkish tobaccos blended and then compressed & sliced for the smoker who likes a rich taste but doesn't like to mess around.

BrandSmoker's Haven
Blended ByJ.F. Germain & Son
Manufactured ByJ.F. Germain & Son
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce tin, 8 ounce foil pack
Strength
Taste
3.6

I have recently been enjoying an old stock tin of Krumble Kake from Smoker's Haven (this batch was produced by Germain & Son). It is a very nice smoke.

This Krumble Kake looks exactly like Penzance in the tin, and of course, both almost melt in your hands as they are crumble cakes rather than flakes. There is quite a difference in taste, however. While Penzance is more of an Oriental blend with a little Latakia in it, Krumble Kake is Latakia heavy and your palate will get a good belt of the stuff.

Like Penzance, Krumble Kake is pure tobacco with no added flavoring or casing. It will make its Latakia presence known from start to finish.

If you are a "krumble kake" fan and prefer English style blends with no extras, you might want to give this one a try.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Overwhelming

I smoked a ton of this tobacco in the late 1960's and 1970's as I worked in downtown Columbus and always got my tobacco from the old Smoker's Haven. Last year I ordered a half-pound from the new store in hopes that it would still be as tasty. I must confess that my taste buds cannot remember what the old blend was like, but as near as I can recall this is very close. This one gets a three star rating for taste (smoked on it's own), it might deserve more consideration for it's blending characteristics. I have found that I can take just about any 2 star English blend and turn it into a 3 star with the addition of from 20% to 50% this blend. It really enriches, deepens, and smoothes out even the worst of blends. I do believe it contains the hard to find Syrian Latakia, so the SH supply may be small.

IMO, the only thing it has in common with Penzance is that they are both great tobaccos and have lots of Latika.

As to room note, beware. Back in the 70's, when we were allowed to smoke in offices, the women in the office banded together and offered to buy all of my tobacco if I would switch blends.

The smoky, woody, rather sweet Cyprian latakia also sports a very light incense-like taste that seems slightly more obvious by the half way point. Some dry, wine-like woody Syrian is also present, though it is hard to determine how much is here. Either way, latakia is the star component. The woody, dry, buttery, creamy sweet and mildly spicy, floral, sour Turkish sits in the strong support position. The grassy, citrus sweet Virginia is just a little more than a background player. The nic-hit is closer to mild than it is to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has no dull spots, but the the last third of the experience is not as complex or as pleasing as the earlier part of the smoke. The krumble kake literally falls apart in your fingers as you prepare it. Burns at a moderate pace with an inconsistent flavor as previously noted, though it does have a richness all the way through. Needs an average number of relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. The after taste is a little bitter and unattractive. Not an all day smoke.

Nice dark black oily crumble cake, that basically disintegrated in my hands, so loading was the 3-step method. Lots of latakia in this one but not so much as to make the smoke "dusty" for the first half-bowl. Latakia is not only a spicy, smoky tobacco - it's also somewhat sweet, and the sweetness really stepped forward. Excellent tasting... in the first half-bowl.

Oddly enough, this one turned ashen and cloudy from about the halfway point through the end, getting worse as I progressed. That phenomenon never failed. I'd get a wonderful first half with typical latakia-blend goodness only to get a mouthful of ashy taste in the 2nd half. I haven't smoked Penzance in awhile so I can't make too many comparisons, but I did not get this from Penzance. The only other tobacco to do this to me regularly is SWR. However, I don't see this problem among the other reviewers so, as usual, it's probably me rather than the tobacco at fault.

Undaunted, I smoked the last of this one in a parfait with a few other blends as an experiment. It performed best as the top half of a Krumble Kake/GLP Meridian parfait. The oily sweetness of the KK merged nicely with the impeccable balance of the Meridian and the smoke was memorable (although Meridian needs no help!). I'm splitting the difference on my recommendation between the top half (4) and the bottom half (1) and awarding this 3 stars. The extra half-star is due to the graciousness of Premal Chedda (my spelling is undoubtedly wrong) who was kind enough to send me a free tin with a pipe purchase. No way do I reward that kindness with a grade less than 3!

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)

I have to agree with Philo Beddoe's review below. The folks at Smokers' Haven on High stated this is just a cake form of their Our Best Blend. I have never tried a cake blend before, always considering myself to be too lazy to rub out the tobacco. However, since they've been out of OBB (and Exotique Mixture) since forever, I decided to give this a try.

This really didn't remind me much of OBB but I found it to be a very enjoyable smoking experience. If anything, it's a darker side to OBB. It has somewhat of a creamy component like OBB but not the "buttery" quality that both OBB and Exotique mixture have. Even though on the smokier side, it is probably one of the most smooth and refined moderately heavy Balkan blends I've smoked to date. Moderately heavy meaning stronger than Balkan Sasieni but not as strong as Butera's Vintage Latakia No. 1 or Bill Bailey's BB. There's also no aftertaste or that overwhelming affect some heavier Balkan or English blends can give. Recommended.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Many have stated that this is just Penzance with another label, but I don't think so. My review will give you some reasons to consider.

Appearance: Ahh, crumble cake in a small tin a la' Penzance, but not as dark and oily. Same krubly slices that fall apart as you grab them.

Tin Aroma: Mana!

Packing: easy, except that this literally crumbles as you grab the slices. I found it good to pack your pipe over a sheet of wax paper so you can save what ever doesn't make it from tin to pipe. I found a light sprinkle in the pipe and a slight tamp before lighting works best.

Lighting: If packed as above, normal 3-4 lights total.

Initial Flavor: Delicious, but a little sweeter than Penzance.

Mid-Bowl: We are as close to tobacco heaven as you can get folks. The three types of leaves are playing a beautiful fugue for your senses.

End of Bowl: It is over too quick, ash is grey and fine, but you do feel satiated as the flavor is definitely on the full English/Balkan side.

Overall: another winner from JF Germain. It seems to fall between Penzance and Special Latakia Flake on the fullness scale. Cons: Room note is a killer to those who don't like latakia, and this leaves its odor on everything around it.

Rating: 5 out of 5 points, a true Reformer, Tulip, and Calvinist blend, Enjoy...

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Krumble Kake is "Our Best Blend" in pressed form. Strangely, I find OBB a better blend. I chose to rub out the flakes and I enjoy it most in a group three size bowl.

I completely agree with DK in that the first half of the bowl is terrific but it becomes muddled as the bowl progresses. The first half of the bowl is sweet and smokey but, unlike Our Best Blend, it seems to lose some of the complexity in the latter half of the bowl as for me the Latakia takes too dominate of a role. Krumble Kake is a quality blend, but for me, I prefer it in ribbon form. Recommended.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

The Latakia in Krumble Kake is applied with greater discretion than in - say - Pirate Kake. That permits the flavours of the orientals to come through. Rather than being a bully, the Latakia in this is a friend and a responsible companion. A very well balanced composition.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Knowing ahead of time that this was not to be a copy of Penzance, I enjoy this tobacco very much. I tend to enjoy this much more than Penzance .

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I was lucky enough to gain an opened tin of this in a trade with someone who didn't like it so much. I happened to like it a lot. I found it to be very smooth and creamy, a must for me in a latakia blend. I would categorize this as full latakia blend. Its smokiness is unique in that it combines both Syrian and Cyprian latakias and both their taste profiles can be picked out throughout the smoke.

The Turkish is not the star, but has a slightly sour taste that is elevated by the Virginia. The latter of which was pretty sweet. This blend is for the person who likes a contemplative smoke with shifting flavors. I found that this blend is not a good blend for the early morning. At least for me it wasn't nor could it be an all day smoke for me, but this is pretty common for me for full latakia blends. They tend to give me, what I refer to as, lat mouth. Usually I can only do a bowl of any of these blends every two to three days, but when I do, they taste so good.

This is one of the finer examples of this type of blend that I have tried. I am happy to have acquired a couple more tins of this as I am not sure it will ever be available again. It certainly hasn't been available from Smoker's Haven the entire five plus years I have been smoking a pipe.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Krumble Kake is Our Best Blend pressed into a cake, which rubs out very easily. It differs a bit, though, from OBB, in that the Latakia is a little more pronounced. It seems a little less rich in Orientals than OBB. Being a cake, it burns easily with minimal re-lights and produces a fine gray ash.

One advantage of this fine Germain blend is that it is available in 2 oz. tins (the same tin size as Penzance) whereas the Smoker'a Haven blends are only available currently in 8 oz. tins. There is an 8 oz. foil pouch available, though.

KK is another fine Smoker's Haven/Germain product worthy of being part of a regular rotation. It is in mine.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

I was told, at Smoker's Haven, that this is Our Best Blend, which has been processed into kake form. They do indeed taste very similar to me, but Krumble Kake has a darker lining, it seems to have a bit more depth, probably due to the chopping and compressing of the tobacco to get it into the kake format.

Highly Recommended to all who like good tobacco.