Dark brown Virginia, full bodied and smooth.

BrandWessex
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.7

One of the richest tasting medium dark Virginias you'll smoke. There's some hay notes to go with the natural sweetness of the Virginia. Some sugar, molasses, and the barest hint of spice in the flavor mix doesn't make this a complex flake, but it does make it a fully satisfying experience for the dark Virginia connoisseur. It never gets harsh, no matter how much you push it, and has a consistent taste all the way through. I prefer Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, but this is no slouch, and should be in the rotation for anybody interested in this flavor profile. And it gets even better with age!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Deep, dark flake with a pungent aroma of great virginia leaf, plus a whiff of some type of topping. Sweet and rich - and wet! I experimented with drying times and settled on 4 hours, to the point where the leaf was dry but not crispy. Too crispy and that rich molasses flavor was leeched out. Too wet and it burned poorly plus had a little too much topping flavor present.

I recently smoked Wessex' futile attempt at a VaPer and commented that it tasted like a Mac Baren roll cake with a bit too heavy a hand on the cavendish and honey. I was surprised to find a bit of that flavor here as well. Not nearly as much as the Curly Cut, which was smothered with Danish flavoring, but this had enough to notice. Kept it from a 4th star. But I don't want to make too much of that - this is still a very worthy blend. Just a bit too sweetened for my regular rotation. Still, it's worth a try for any virginia lover. Clearly, other reviewers like this one better than I do.

Well, there are no foreseen new blends in my future, although I do tend to get a lot of samples from folks. But reviews will be much reduced from here on out, as I focus on my favorites. This six year run of trying as many new blends as possible has taught me a lot, such as the value of a good blender of oriental tobacco (which I enjoy more than latakia), that flavoring is a sticky wicket... if I like it, flavoring is good. If I don't, it's bad! :) And much more. It's been fun. But after spending a few days with Stonehaven and a few of my favorites, the search for Tobacco Nirvana is over.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)

Oh ya. The taste here is quite complex and deep for a viriginia flake. I can pick out tangy Virginias, grassy Virginias and sugary, darker Virginias throughout the progression of the bowl. Syrupy notes, fruits, sharp pangs of bitter...all there. A very good smoke. The jury is out whether this takes me to the same place as Full Virginia Flake, but it at least would be a solid replacement. Darn good. If it was available in bulk I would have it on hand frequently but alas, the secret is out and it goes quicker than presents at Christmas. Stock up if you can get your hands on some. My tin was three years old so I'd say it ages like a Virginia should. It deserves four stars.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I debated on whether I should write a review on this one. It is a bunch of reviews like this that caused the disappearance of blends like stonehaven, penzance, and Full Virginia Flake. If word of this stuff gets out too much, you can kiss finding it goodbye. This is the logic that causes me to suffer greatly from DCD or deep cellar disorder. Like a doomsday prepper I have this stuff stockpiled for years in advance waiting for the cat to come out of the bag and everyone to swarm the shelves of tobacconists and the sites of online stores. This stuff really is that good. Magicians never tell you how they do their tricks, hunters and fishermen never give away their prime spots, and a a true pipe smoker never gives away his sleeper blend. That's what this is for me, my sleeper blend. While the rest of the pipe world is staring at computer screens all night with bloodshot eyes waiting for Full Virginia Flake to come back in stock, I am sipping on a bowl full of campaign dark flake and loving life.

You don't hear about this blend much, which is purely ridiculous. This stuff is fantastic. I have yet to enjoy a bowl of this that has not kept me smiling from packing to dottle. It never lets you down. As you know from my name here on tobacco reviews I am a musician, and so to explain this blend I will use a music analogy. If Orlik Golden Sliced is the trumpet of the tobacco world, then campaign dark flake is the bass trombone. It is a little more powerful, a little deeper, a little more complex, but every bit as enjoyable.

There aren't many Virginia blends like this out there, definitely try some and you will see. Very highly recommended. Also, just to let you know, If I begin to see this sold out everywhere I plan to edit this review to say this stuff is horrid, and I suggest all the other reviewers who have lauded the virtues of this tobacco do the same.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This is the only Wessex-branded tabac I've had, and possibly the best Virginia I've had to date. A very fruity nose in the tin, almost like pineapple. It's a medium-colored flake, so I'm not sure why it's called Dark Flake. The strips are folded over and stuffed in the can but they come apart and rub out easily. Mine burned perfectly right out of the tin.

Quintessential VA flavoring as you "sip-n-ahhh." Or is that "sip-n-awe"? It really is delicious through the first 80% of the bowl. The last 20% is too, but it requires some TLC in my experience, to keep it cool and keep those sweet VA flavors rolling. Too hot at this point and it tastes like a cigar. A good cigar though. But maybe you'll like that! I would love to stash away 50 tins of this for a few years.

I'm with Newman and Tantric regarding this lovely, straight Virginia Flake. It is cool, well rounded in flavor, and packs just enough nicotine punch to suit even the harriest of chests.

Upon opening the tin, I found a somewhat dark, slightly moist compilation of slightly broken flakes. The smell was a subdued natural Virginia sweetness. I rubbed out the flakes (which is my preference) and loaded up the short cut, ribbon leaf which packed very easily.

At the match, the taste was delightful. Medium heavy tasting with a crisp, clean presentation that made smoking this tobacco nothing short of pure pleasure. It burned cleanly to the bottom of the bowl with very few relights.

This one beats similar tobaccos (made by the same blender) like Marlin Flake, Hal O the Wynd, and Astley's #44 by a country mile. A terrific surprise, this Wessex Campaign!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This blend is from the German house of Kohlhase & Kopp and is blended and packed by hand which may partially drive the high price. However the overall high quality tobacco must also be considered. This is the same Co. that gives us many Astleys and Rattrays selections and this blend could be included with #44 or Hal O' the Wynd with respect to overall enjoyment. I've tried other Wessex VAs: Brown, Gold, Red and enjoyed this one the best. However, this flake is darker and stronger and not recommended to new VA flake smokers. The room note of DF was also more intense than these other Wessex flakes.

The 6" + long flakes are nicely coiled into the screw top tin and are quite pliable and therefore easily packed even if not rubbed out. The natural oils partially stained the paper liner. The initial moisture content was higher than I prefer and I obtained bettter smokes after some drying. Without any rubout, this one burned evenly, coolly and without any hint of bite in pipes with various bowl sizes. The great, rich but yet smooth natural VA taste was consistent throughout the bowls and left a slightly spicey aftertaste. This blend is most enjoyable by me after meals. Experienced VA flake lovers should give this a try.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Nutty, woodsy nose with a touch of pine needles. Very complex aromas. I find it delicious & it will be on the rotation.

This is an excellent Virginia flake. Mature with a nice molasses sweetness, no bite, smooth and easy to smoke. I found this to be great on the relight as it doesn't get ashy. Sweeter than Samuel Gawith's Best brown and I will use this as a substitute for Solani Silver Flake depending on price

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

This is a wonderful flake. In the tin it has the new mowed hay aroma consistent with aged Virginia. The tobacco is mottled with black, red and bright leaf. I let the tobacco dry for a day, finding it improves the smoke greatly. It burns well to a dry white ash, rubbed out or chunky. I really enjoyed this flake - It was smooth, sweet, cool and complex from top to bottom with a variety of wonderful flavors. This is a top shelf tobacco.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been doing my annual year end cleaning of my pipe room and stumbled on this little gem. In looking at all the great reviews, I somehow missed this one. Big mistake! For what it’s worth, this review is based on a five or six year old tin. Campaign greets the nose with deep figs, raisons and molasses. The flakes are very long and need to be cut to fit into a pipe. I mainly use the fold and stuff method, most often in a medium bowl. The nose scent was so strong, it led me to believe that there is likely a very light topping. At first light, there is a touch of hay, but quickly settles into dark, rich sweet molasses like flavor that can be expected from a darker flake. It is a simply delicious medium body flake. I now wish I had socked a lot more away now that it is difficult to get. Great stuff!

Mustangcollector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mustangcollector (1)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first tin of Wessex, and I bought it based on the great reviews and recommendations on this site. It seems extremely mild to me, but perhaps I was expecting something more or I'm used to stronger Virginias...but I think it is excellent. I was eager to try it right out of the tin and in my haste I rubbed enough of the flake for a bowl without allowing any time to dry. It lit and stayed lit with no effort, and only a single relight. I definitely notice the taste of dried hay (who knew I liked hay so much?!) and grains, with a little sweetness that stayed on the lips. I haven't noticed the taste of any fruits or molasses like few others have, but this is my first bowl. I'll see after some more bowls...which are a guarantee. Looking forward to see any changes as it ages a bit.

In my opinion this is a great tobacco for someone looking to try what I perceive as a mild Virginia, or anyone who hasn't tried Wessex. I do recommend it to others and I will be looking at reviews of some other Wessex tins that are reviewed as a little more complex, and with more flavor. You can't go wrong with this as an easy, cool, smooth smoke with zero tongue bite.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

When I cracked open my new tin, I smelt an aroma that was deep and pungent and a bit different than what I'm used to from a fresh tin. Not sure how to describe it and now that my tin's been open awhile the tin aroma has changed. The top disc was stained so my sample may have set on the shelf for awhile before I got it.

This is perhaps where all the bottom end went that the Red Flake was missing. I didn't find much high end here. What I did find was a predominating chocolatey - cocoa sort of taste with the typical virginia hay taste to the background. A lot of depth to this blend. The flakes separated easily but were moist and did not dry out as quickly as I anticipated. I got a tiny bit of bite from this one but it was the "delayed reaction" sort of bite, it took me a couple hours to feel it.

This is a damn good virginia flake IMHO. Easily a rating of at least three stars , I just happened to like their Red Virginia Flake a little bit better overall.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Nice VA flake. It's dark, full bodied, easy to pack and burns well. The price is a little high, but for those who really love this stuff, I'm sure it's worth it.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

An excellent Virginia Flake from Wessex. The flakes themselves are dark, slightly moist, and are compressed together in the tin. Moisture content is perfect, and when the flakes are broken and packed in the bowl, lights easy, and smokes clean. This is a rich, full-flavored smoke, and should not be passed up by anyone who appreciates a good quality Virginia Flake.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin opens to a dense bundle of folded flakes. The aroma of a dusty hay loft and fig cookies wafts out, announcing the presence of good Virginia leaf - well chosen and well aged. Sweet grains, hot cereal, granola with raisins. Spicy notes, dry hay, dried fruit with a hint of unsweetened chocolate.

Folding the flake when packing works very well, burns beautifully.

A really nice medium Virginia flake. Sweet, toasted grains, grassy, malty - gets better and better as the bowl burns down. Sweetness gets more pronounced, develops flavors like baked bread, pancake batter, saddle soap, and even semi-sweet chocolate. This stuff is excellent - subtle, sweet and quite enjoyable.

I usually like a fuller Virginia flake, but this stuff gets no complaints from me. Added this blend to the favorites list, and I just ordered a couple more tins.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

You've tried the rest now try the best!!. Not much to add, if you like flakes you will love this. Bye Bye Sam Gawith.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

This is a very well prepared Virginia flake with a sweet, tobacco flavor. Tin odor is a good tobacco aroma. The flakes were slightly sticky but rubbed out easily. It is biteless and smokes mild but delivers favorable nicotine content.

A slight harshness initially...characteristic of Virginias. After a relight & a few more puffs, this stuff provided pure, mild, sweet Virginia flavor. Packs easily & burns nicely.

An excellent Virginia and much better than most. If you like Virginia, give this one a try. This is more pricy than similar blends but worth the extra $$. This tobacco provided a nice, unadulterated, straight tobacco flavored smoke. Therefore, IMHO, Brigade Campaign Dark Flake merits four stars.

JohnJelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnJelly (3)

I really enjoy this tobacco. This is similar in style to many Va/ Va flakes I have tried and enjoyed minus different flavorings. This is also exceptionally smooth and without any tongue bite issues for me. I find the presentation in the tin to be unusual but fun. If I could rewrite my pipe smoking history I wish I would have found this particular tobacco as I was starting to try Va Flakes as when I started those I got some that were unpleasant or burned way too hot and I gave up on Va's for some time before coming back to them. 4 stars but maybe a bit underwhelming in strength for some.

I can't get into this one, but once again have trouble giving a quality product two stars, and it is a quality blend, just not to my tastes. I must be affected more by the "molassesey" topping others do not seem to have noticed. To me, it is cloying and detracts from the natural "bite" (but not tongue bite!) that I like to have in a Virginia flake. I am struggling through my tin, and may have to blend it with something neutral to finish it. I get gurgle easily with this one as well. That's all I can say. Lots of folks seem to love this blend. The flakes are certainly attractive! Oh, and at Doc'spipe: I am the second reviewer to detect a flavoring, I guess.

3-21-2012 Been a year and a half or more in a jar. I like it better now, but there is still some gunk at the bottom of the bowl, wet and hard to finish.

A medium bodied, brown Virginia flake. A long, wide (as flakes go) strip rolled around itself like a rolled and flattened belt with exquisite taste and character. Easy to peel, fold into the pipe and light (no re-lights required). Natural tasting tobacco with a lingering sweet after taste. Burns moderately hot as Virginias go, but without bite, just a pleasant Virginia spiciness and not over the top. In the same ball park as Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, but with more spice over sweet. Campaign is a nice, comfortable smoke, consistent from first puff to last. So far, I seem to be the only reviewer to not rate the flavoring as "None Detected." With careful puffing, I definitely notice the presence of molasses.

A very tasty Virginia flake, good for those venturing into Virginia territory for the first time and well worth the price. A smooth, nice tasting Virginia. One is rewarded with a natural, spicy sweetness that only good quality Virginia can provide. Just exquisite with slow puffing. A solid recommendation. Gets better with some age on it as well. All things considered, I find Wessex Brigade CDF different than their Brown Virginia Flake. Between the two, where BVF is deliciously sweet, CDF takes the lead in that spicy sweetness I previously mentioned. Along with their BVF, a good smoke, but for me, edged out by BVF overall.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an exceptional Virginia blend, period. I concur with other reviewers in that it smells almost identical to Marlin Flake & IMO, taste is similar...very much like my first 50 Gram tin of aged MF. However, it does not have that initial harshness & bite that I noticed when smoking Marlin Flake. BCDF is totally biteless, smooth & cool with plenty of smokey, VA tobacco flavor.

Long, dark mottled flakes with minimal golden leaf break up easily for stoking & it burns slow & cool. I also noticed it may be a tad stronger than Marlin Flake. We like to make comparisons, don't we? What more to say...probably one of the finest VA blends on the market! Virginia fans will want to stock up on this one for sure & I'm confident it will age well. Time will tell. Therefore, IMHO, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake merits four **s+!

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

I find this mixture to be very similar to Marlin Flake and in recognizing where it originates I know why this is. It, to me, is slightly stronger than Marlin and for that reason I enjoy it much more. This tobacco has that wonderful tin aroma that only comes from a high quality virginia when aged to perfection. I find BC dark to perfectly suit my sweet tooth in every puff from start to finish. The smoke is very creamy white, very smooth, gentle and inviting. I smoked it right out of the tin and dried out a second sample using a small table fan. I usually enjoy dry virginia over fresh out of the tin however in this case as with BC dark I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh smoke by a country mile. A wonderful mixture of the highest quality and most remarkable craftmanship. Buy some, you won't be disappointed. five solid stars to infinity and beyond.

Another excellent Virginia from Wessex, although not one of my favorites. This is a bit sweeter than Classic Virginia, but lacks its complexity. As one could expect from top notch tobacco, it burns cool and doesn't bite. Better than most Virginias in the market, but a step below FVF and HOTW.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Pipestud, NEWMAN, and Tantric have said it all. Brigade Campaign Dark Flake is clearly the best (of all I've sampled thus far) from Wessex.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: 1 1/2" wide strip of tobacco wrapped around itself, resulting in a rather unkempt block, rather frayed at the edges. Compared to Samuel Gawith's FVF, BCDF has a considerable amount of blonde in the dark brown flake, with a red hue. Nice, light oats, mildly sweet.

In Omnia Paratus, Wessex Brigade, Kolhase & Kopp, Germany

Packing & Lighting: Due to the long strip being wound around itself, it is incredibly difficult to unwind; the strip is stuck to the layer underneath it. The tobacco breaks apart as you try to unwind it.

Taste & Aroma: At the start, vague oats, mildly sweet, the taste strengthing down the bowl into a deep oats; fairly tasty by the end of the bowl. Fresh out of the tin, undried, multiple bowls are a little destructive to the palate, bitey.

Nicotine: mild-medium, closer to medium

Room Note: mild VA hay

Overall: Bland at the start, but developes a nice taste in the lower half of the bowl. Terribly difficult to manage the wadded up strip of tobacco, it is like it is thrown into the tin as an afterthought. Compared to SG's FVF, BCDF is considerably more tasty, in the bottom half of the bowl. 4 stars.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

Wessex is my lattest stop on my trip down the Virginia hiway....and a fine hiway it is. Wessex is the blender of many of my favorite blends...ie. O.G, H.O.T.W. This one holds its own with the best of them.

Upon opening the tin you find, as expected, a dark fragrant flake. By preference I let this flake air for a short time, then rub out fully. This makes packing, light, and burn exceptional. The flavor is "musty", and semi-sweet. To me this is a high quality, pleasureable smoke. I wont say this is THE BEST Va. that I have had the pleasure of trying, but it is amoung them. I give this one

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

This is a very pleasant dark virginia from the same people who make Marlin Flake. I smoked my tin fairly quickly, so I must of liked it. Beautiful long dark leaves and a wonderful natural tobacco aroma will invite you to light up. Tasty and available at a reasonable price. Worth picking up a tin.

One of the best virginia flakes presently on the market. K&K may make dull English mixtures, but they are great on Virginias. The long, dark flakes are a marvel to look at: just a few minutes on the air and you're ready to rub them or to pack them the traditional way. The flavour is exceptional: dark, rich, sweet, while the burning is perfectly even and cool enough.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake along with Old Gowrie are my first straight Virginia blends. I agree with Pipestud, Gae and Tantric. This is a great blend. Like OG, BCDF is a very nice change from the Latakia blends that I normally smoke, and will be a definite addition to my tobacco rotation. Great flavor, cool and clean burning. I tasted what I perceive to be an oats and molasses flavor, very nice. Every pipe smoker should try this at least once, if nothing more than to try a quality blend with no casing and no artificial flavoring. Those new to the pipe might be forewarned, however. Smoke it gently at first, or you will learn what tongue bite is. Being a pipe smoker for over 30 years, I experienced no problems with bite, heat, or gurgle.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

January 2006.Wessex-Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. What a gem of tobacco,I have found here in B-C Dark Flake,and I only folded the flakes,filled my pipe,then let it sit for 10 min's before lighting.Once lit,Voila,Delious sweet nirvana slowly gathered around my palate with gentle strength in a most succulant cool and suttle way,without being to weak but most satisfying in everyway. I totally agree with every word written before me by Pipestud, and Tantric. This Aussie girl not only appreciates it,but,truly loves it ;-) More,than just 'Highly Recommended'

This is a nice enough VA flake. The problem with this is that I can describe a couple of dozen tobaccos the exact same way. That out of the way, this is the best VA I have tried in the Wessex line. I find it to be extremely cool and yet dark and musty at the same time. There is a grassy quality but not in the freshly mowed stage, more like in the piled up, mouldering, fermented sort of way. It took quite a few relights, but seemed to burn relatively dry. It's good, but it still has a ways to go before it is one of the greats.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Scrumptious. In structure, this is similar to Marlin Flake: a long strand of flake coiled up inside the silver Brigade Series tin, darker in color, with bits and pieces of an almost black hue. It is supple and easy to break up and light. Not as tasty as Marlin Flake, and a tad stronger, it nevertheless delivers a wonderful Virginia flavor that hovers somewhere in between Astley?s 109 (with a lot more body) and Gawith?s Full Virginia Flake (smoother, deeper). The quality of this tobacco is unimpeachable. It burns evenly, without a bite. The flavor remains consistent throughout most of the bowl, but it is not a boring smoke; every now and then there are notes of roasted chestnuts and a slightly bitter sweetness, that provide a greater density without making it overwhelming. Personally I am fonder of Astley?s 44 or Rattray?s Hal O? the Wynd, but this comes as a close second. Dark Flake is a very rewarding medium to full bodied smoke. If inclined to straight Virginias, I am sure you will find this tobacco delectable. Highly recommended.