Pure, superior quality Latika from the mountainous regions of Syria

Blend TypeOther
ContentsLatakia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Very Full
Strong
3.9
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

If you can find an old tin of this pure Syrian Latakia, it would be well worth the grab if you are a Latakia junkie. Wellaeur's never messed around with their blends and made sure all had the finest quality leaf. This is no exception.

Although somewhat over the top, my 10-year old tin did show some settlement and I never got the rough edges such a strong Latakia blend can deliver. I note other reviewers have used this to cut other blends. Not a bad idea as this is one really full tasting tobacco.

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)

I added a little of this to my Balkan Sasieni as well as to Comptons of Gashiel's Maccedonia mixture and had excellent results. I always thought it was the absence of Yenidje from the Sasieni that made it so different from the original Balkan Sobrane but after adding the pure Syrian Latakia in small quanities to taste I realize this is what is missing from the formula. I ordered 4 100g tins of this stuff from Switzerland and it ran about 85 dollars with shipping but if you are one that spends a lot of money tracking down old tins of Sobrane you may want to give this a try.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Latakia at its best. Extraordinary blending stuff. I tried smoking alone, but it is of course missing something.. My favourite blending: Dunhill DeLuxe navy rolls (VA-PER) and 50% latakia, delicious. Great great stuff this Wellaur's 100g tin.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (55)
Medium Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I agree with the previous reviews. The smell in the tin is nice, full Latakia at its best. Smoking is really first class and that is one tobacco which should be recommended, either to be smoked as such or in addition to other tobaccos. I have added some when smoking disappointing blends (see my review on the English mixture from Davidoff) and that was fully satisfactory.

I must correct my review: there are two blends from Wellauer : Latakia (100gr tins) and Latakia Mixture (50gr tins. My review deals with Latakia Mixture with Latakia as a major element while the other one (Latakia) is pure Latakia.

All this a little confusing for the awerage smoker but apparently that is the way Swiss people do!

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

What about this tobacco, except that the highest quality. I think it is a tobacco, which should not be smoking 100% pure, but great for making home-made mixtures or corrections.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild None Detected Full Strong

Almost black with purple shades, this is the most superb quality Latakia I have ever met, since the times of John Cotton's.

I hotly suggest everybody to try it straight, and appreciate the naturally sweet/leathery/piney smoke it delivers.

Tabakabouter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tabakabouter (9)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

I quoted flavoring extra strong. This and other Latakia's have a very very strong Cedarwoodfire-smoked flavour with an herbal touch. This one has a soapy-like aftertaste (if smoked pure). Excellent L for upgrading and mixing: 10% is enough. I mix this with 60% VA, 20% Cuba and 10% Danish Truffles. The L still comes trough in harmony with the Roasted Nut-aroma from the Truffles. A real Delight.In addition the L neutralises the tongue-bite caused by the DT. Warning: smoke this pure in a very small bowl at the end of the day: afterwards you're taste will be gone for a time. And don't try this tasty bomb before having dinner.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Excellent blending Latakia, but not the only pebble on the beach, as there are others equally good. Not for smoking on its own, unless one likes the taste of burnt cork with the aroma of pure Latakia.

Very Mild None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This is probably the best pure latakia around, great both for blending and for adjusting some lacking mixture. Smoked alone, obviously it's quite difficult to keep lit, but it's incredibly smokable. First class.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is by far, the best blending Latakia I have ever smoked. Supurb taste, aftertaste and burning characteristics. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy. Highly recommended for blending.

Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This will either remove any hair you may have on your chest or head, or for that matter, turn you into a werewolf (the latter applied to me). An older pipester was smoking this and gave me some so I decided to purchase a 100g tin and try it out further. upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a dark broad ribbon with stems as well (this is normal for latakia). Aroma is rich latakia. Packing is easy with some airing recommended as this is moist. Initial flavor is rich, smooth latakia. Midbowl mellows somewhat, towards the end the flavor intensifies and then all you have left is mottled dark ash. This is intended for blending, but sometimes I need a latakia "fix" and this does that nicely. I have used this for blending and it works excellently. For you who dabble in blending, I highly recommend this. Rating 5 out of 5 points...Enjoy