This is the Black Irish X twist that is sliced into discs after the pressing and heating process. To this we add tonquin, maple, licorice and other traditional "English" flavorings prior to packaging.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringLicorice, Maple, Other / Misc, Tonquin Bean
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Very Strong
Mild, Strong
Taste
Full
Very Strong

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

A friend recently sent me a sample of G&H Black Rope Aromatic. It arrived rather moist and needed airing out for about 6 hours before I considered it dry enough to load up in one of my Jacono billiards. This weed was tasty and the room bouquet is also pleasant, a bonus for my wife. This tobacco is hard to describe. It arrived in the baggie mostly rubbed out with some thick chunks stuck together. And, unlike the above reviewer's batch, mine was not shag cut at all. The rubbed out portion was long stranded ribbon cut. It is coal black in appearance with that deep, rich oily hue that only the finest, well aged Virginia leaf will produce. It just plain looked yummy. It sure sent me scrambling for a pipe!

Anyway, the nicotine punch is perfect for me (i.e. strong) and, as you might expect from a heavily stoved Virginia, this black beauty does not bite at all.

The flavor is deep (almost woodsy) with a slightly spicy, ever so semi-sweet undertone that I find to be tongue tingling! I have not tried this as a morning smoke and probably will not as it seems just a smidgen too heavy in flavor to be a first pipe load of the day. On the other hand, I'll bet it's a dandy winter afternoon smoke with a strong cup of coffee. Another plus is the fact that there is no perfume taste or smell in this baby (a complaint I have with other G&H blends). Just pure tobacco pleasure in this offering, folks.

Open wide, oh cellar of mine. Here comes a pound of this delightful weed.

qmpash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
qmpash (1)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Unnoticeable

I do not like this tobacco, but you might. I am pretty eclectic with pipe tobaccos and enjoy most, even an occasional aromatic. This one, for me at least, was unsmokable. It has the appearance of dog poop. I have never tasted that substance but I suspect that the taste does not differ much. The tonquin turned me off completely. It has a nicotine content that completely blew the top of my head off. A couple of puffs and my head was spinning and I had a queasy feeling in my stomach. I couldn't get past those first 2 puffs. This is a tobacco best suited for the more experienced smoker who likes a good kick to his smoke. I couldn't tolerate the tonquin either. I suspect that this would be a good choice for an ex-cigarette smoker who is looking more for the nicotine kick than for flavor. For me, this was not a pleasureable experience.

Pipe Used: Mr. B

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Purchased From: P & C

Similar Blends: Nothing I remember.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Strong

Gawith Hoggarth - Sliced Black Aromatic.

The blend includes a few different sizes, and the aroma is suggestive of maybe a floral addition. The pouches I've had have been of a decent hydration, and unsurprisingly the blend's jet black in colour!

Lighting S.B.A. is a joy, and then it's well behaved mechanically: burns even to a white ash. The added flavour is mild, but quite busy, if that makes sense? Some wood and florals, slightly sweet, and a little bit of sharpness from the licorice. I get absolutely zero tongue bite, whether chugged or sipped.

The nicotine could knock out a horse, as could the room-note!

This is a good smoke, but to potent for me! For the quality though, it deserves three stars.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Various

Purchased From: Various

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A very tasty and predictably strong tobacco with an unexpected bonus which I'll explain... As mentioned, the bulk of this sliced aromatic black twist becomes a nice fine shag, which is easy to dry and pack into the pipe. But The gooey discs, which remain intact turn out to make delightful licorice flavored chewing tobacco. So I save a few discs and put them in foil for a tasty treat. I'm not suggesting to do this with all of the discs as this would limit the smoking material to mainly the outer leafy wrap of the twist, but perhaps half will be dried, rubbed out and added to the shag mix. I like to have a tall glass of ice water with this, but have wondered if a shot of Sambuca might be nice. This black twist is not as strong N as the brown twist and might be considered a smidge less than strong. I am not a cigarette smoker and I have no problem enjoying a medium bowl. So the black twists might be a good place to start before moving on to the brown ones if you're trying to determine your tollerance for N.

As far as flavor goes, its truly wonderful for someone like me who craves licorice candy and eats a box at a time hee. The ultra sweet tobacco flavor ls there in the form of a sweet mapley deep dark virginia mingled with licorice and a clove like peppery zing - Yum! After a slightly persnickety lighting, the rich creamy smoke begins and continuces with fewer relights compared to my hand sliced twists. This is a good to the bottom of the bowl tobacco, so take your time and enjoy it! So what about ghosting? Well, believe it or not, the ghosting isn't going to ruin a pipe that is already dedicated to aromatics and you could certainly smoke something like Lane BCA in the same pipe with no regrets. Within an hour of smoking the sliced twist my cob just had a generic aromatic sweetness to it. Even though this is a sweet blend, my pipe is easy to clean and has no sticky or tarry mess to deal with. And all this concern for a $9 pipe ha ha. But I still get attached to my cobs and take very good care of them.

A final note... I do enjoy the novelty of twists and have several that I slice and dice and dry the heck out of before smoking. But these sliced twists really are nice. They're just as tasty, very convenient, and the fine shag is much more smokable than the stuff that I try to slice myself. So my advice is to get a few twists for long term occasional enjoyment, but go with the sliced twist for the brunt of your twist smoking experience.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Very Strong Mild Full Very Strong

I have smoked quite a bit of the non-aromatic version of this (as sold by E.A. Carey (Europe), though I think it's the same tobacco as you can buy under the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. name). Much of what I said in my review of that applies here also. This is a strong, hearty, cool, slow-burning, outdoor smoke that is just about ideal for a cold winter's day; in hot weather it would be unbearably heavy. Note the word "outdoor": the room note is truly awful. The taste of the tobacco is so strong and so distinctive that I can hardly detect any added flavours. Recommended to the experienced smoker, but definitely not one for the beginner; and start off with a small bowl. Oh, yes - it'll leave a powerful ghost, so it's probably a good idea to dedicate a pipe to it and its pungent brethren.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb billiard

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 52;

Rated Percentage = 87%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body, unusual Black Cavendish Flavor, slight After Taste.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a fan of black ropes I was eager to try this preprepared and flavoured version and I'm very glad I did.

The flavourings must be fairly strong to have any noticable effect on this powerful tobacco but they're not strong enough to become overpowering and they're certainly not artificial tasting. They just round off the harsher "engine oil" (see reviews of Black Irish) notes and bring out the natural, pungent, sweetness of the unflavoured version. It also retains the reluctancy to bite that the original displays. The pre-slicing also makes it easier to use.

Don't be put off by the mention of tonquin in the flavouring. I hated cob(1792) flake but loved this.

Like all smokers, I occasionally feel pangs of masochistic experimentalism, I have, however, yet to try this in anything larger than a medium bowl. I just don't hate consciousness enough.

Try it. You might like it.