A mixture of black and gold Cavendish enhanced with an unsurpassed blend of vanilla for a mild and cool mellow smoke.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsCavendish, Black Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.5
pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a revised review. I purchased a pack of this for old times sake. I packed the bowl of a Savinelli Roma 614 with Balsa filter tight, and actually had a good smoke. It's nice and light and the aroma is that of vanilla and coconut. I took a drag about every 5 seconds, and no bite or burn. It tastes nice and sweet. Pack it firm and go slow, it won't let you down.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I tried smoking a pipe while in college and was a miserable failure. Regardless of the pipe or the tobacco, I always inflicted tongue bite upon myself. Needless to say, I laid the pipe away and went back to my Marlboros.

About a year ago, thirty years after my experience above, I bought a pipe. My first tobacco was Lane's Captain Black Royal. It was mild. It did not burn my tongue. The Cavendish created all sorts of thick smoke. That made me feel like I was really accomplishing something. And the room note was very pleasant if one likes vanilla.

I added this tobacco and I need to edit the description. I bought a pouch of it at the tobacco section of a local discount store. It is also sold in one pound cans. I do not know if it is available in bulk or not.

The Tin Description is certainly accurate, "an unsurpassed blend of vanilla..." There is LOTS of vanilla there. It also smoked cool and mild for me as promised. Since then I have tried a number of tobaccos and settled pretty quickly on Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends.

All that being said, I think this is a fine tobacco for a new pipe smoker to start on. It is widely available, inexpensive, mild, cool on the tongue, smells nice, etc. It did not leave a lasting taste in what was my one and only pipe at the time so I kept using it on my other tobaccos I sampled. Finally, it is not sticky with artificial moisture to the extent that lesser "drug store" tobaccos are.

In a way, I owe a dept of gratitude to Captain Black Royal. It demonstrated that pipe smoking can be pleasant and enjoyable. Not bad for about about $2.60 and a coupon for my next pouch.