This is a dark fired and dark air cured Twist. Also known as Happy Bogie. An old fashioned rope tobacco that provides a stout smoke with high nicotine content.

All our twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler is again, predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Quaint, these twists. There is a rich and robust pure tobacco aroma in the bulk form. I use a utility knife and a small wooden box as a cutting board to slice what I need to fill a cob bowl. The slices rub out with little effort. It is moist, but I don't dry it, and it burns just fine. It fires right up and burns cool and dry. Delicious. I think Dark Flake carries more tobacco strength, but the nicotine may be more evident here. Excellent African tobacco taste. No need to fear this tobacco. Puff away, there is no tongue bite. Bold yes, harsh no. I find this more enjoyable than the highly acclaimed flue-cured VAs.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A tin note of raisins with very subtle sweetness. This is a tobacco that demands respect. The rope form it comes in is a nice change from other forms. I use an Inuit ulu knife to shave 1/8" slices then lightly rub out. TW from an earlier review stated that these types of tobaccos are from a time where small bowled pipes were the norm. As such, I tried deep briars and cobs and found that my Peterson 407 loves this tobacco because of its small bowl. I've smoked several bowls of this and find that it is getting nicer each time. I store all of my tobaccos in mason jars and believe that this aids in aging immensely. The smoke is strong, but at the same time smooth and has a wonderful flavour. When exhaled out the nose, there is a tingle at the end that reminds you that it has power. I find that the "N" factor is quite manageable if sipped and savoured.

Also, I found that this goes well with a bottle of coca cola, (old timey glass bottle not the new plastic bottles). Reminiscint of fine cigars this one is not a tobacco to smoke as a fledgling, but it is different from the norm and a joy to smoke.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Pete's

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Having tried Black Bogie a while back and been very disappointed I've been very reticent in trying rope again. However, after trying a string of rather strong plugs, some of which tasted like a remind of it, I decided to have another go of the stringy stuff and plump for 25g of this stuff.

The note in the packet was one of earth tones with a hints of mustiness and cigars. Cutting and rubbing out proves easy thus making packing a doddle. A few relights are required, though this is easily got round with a little drying. The smoke itself is just gorgeous, the earth notes come to the fore and the cigar flavour proves stronger. It's a slow smoke too so no need to pack a big bowl. The nicotine is strong but not something I haven't had worse with other tobaccos.

Before I bought this, I would have said I would go nowhere near ropes. Now, though, I have a rather nice spanner in the works. It's an absolutely gorgeous smoke, probably best saved for the evening due to the strength. Question is, do I try other ropes? Yes, I think I will, I might even venture to give Black Bogie another go, to see if age and experience have changed my tastes. This stuff isn't for beginners, I'd recommend at least a couple of years good hard smoking before trying it. But when you get to a point where you're ready for it, this is as good as anything out there.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (54)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch note for this dark tobacco is earthy, musty, smoky. I cut it coarsely and it rubbed out to a fine tilth in the palm of my hand.

The room note is near enough identical.

It takes a light easily and stays lit until the end. I found I didn't need to tamp. It leaves no dottle.

This is a tobacco that produces almost entirely bass notes. It is deep, creamy, rich and satisfying. There is a pepperiness on the tongue and the back of the throat that is suggestive of strength but reports of its great power are imo overstated. This is a wonderfully behaved tobacco and quite moderate. There is zero bite. For some it will lack the excitement factor and interest of perique or latakia blends but as a faithful and honest tobacco it has few peers. I agree with other reviewers who noted the somewhat cigar like aroma of this tobacco.

I could easily consider this as an all day smoke.

Edit. Having smoked a bowl of this unrubbed I can see where some are saying this is a nicotine heavyweight. Not a smart way to smoke this tobacco imo, since it burned pretty quick this way and lost a lot of nuance, but I'm upping the strength rating of the tobacco to reflect its potential.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A true classic of it's kind. Old fashioned tobacco as it used to be. Sure, there's a lot of nicotine, but smoked slowly it's a very gentle nicotine, if you see what I mean. Go at it too fast though and it's headache territory. Pipe bowls were relatively small when tobaccos like this were first created.

As for flavour, the Indian air-cured component adds a nice tangy/savoury edge similar to G&H's (unscented) Dark Flake but in an overall less harsh package (Indian cheroots are something else - more power than the strongest Havana). As for the Malawi fire-cured part of the blend, "smooth and deep" are the words that come to mind. The start is a dry taste that gathers some savoury sweetness as the bowl burns down, but without the over-load of sugar that some (e.g. Sam Gawith) flakes have.

Everyone should try this at least once. Not as a "rite of passage" but to experience and, hopefully, get to understand a truly fine tobacco that's been made pretty much the same way for a very long time.

If the hassle of preparing it puts you off, or if you've never tried to prepare a rope tobacco before, I suggest buying the ready-sliced version, at least to begin with. It's exactly the same tobacco, with the assurance that it's correctly prepared for optimum smoking.

I've been told by many people (including non-smokers) that the smell is pleasant. Some even use the word "nice".

I can't recommend it enough.

StrykerTW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrykerTW (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A strange brown rope arrived in the mail rolled up and held together with two nails. I cut the rope with a sharp knife into coins, pulled apart the coins a bit and stuffed them (not too tightly) into a largish pot style briar. The reward was a nice cool flavorful smoke. This tobacco doesn't have the overpowering sweetness of some virginias nor does it have the bite. There's a hint of a cigar-like flavor but it barely comes through and doesn't stink up a room like a cigar. Pleasant flavor from beginning to end. Burns to a nice grey ash.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

Are you the kind of person who takes the words "all you can eat" as a challenge? Do you order the hottest hot wings or vindaloo just to see if you can take it? If so, this might be for you. More of a rite of passage than a pipe-tobacco, Brown/Happy Bogie will test your limits. I could feel the nicotene burning my nose as I smelled it in the tin; an indication of things to come.

"Bogie," my fellow Americans, is not (just) a golf term, it is the British version of our word "booger." That's right, a tobacco named after something you'd find in your nose. But one look at it, and you'll see why that's by no means the worst thing you could compare it to. Looks to me more like something your dog leaves in the grass. But I digress. My method of preparation: Slice it into thin coins and then dry the coins out, then partially rub it out and it's ready to smoke.

The smoke will knock your socks off. Strong, bitter, and often harsh. But that is mostly only in the initial light-up. Then it settles down, smooths out, and is nice and coffee/cigar-like. To be enjoyed in small doses. Not an all-day or even every-day smoke, just a once in a while, or once in a lifetime smoke to teach you not to fear lesser tobaccos.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Need a nicotine buzz? Here it is. This is a good one to have a bowl of when you get home from an especially long or hard day at work, or just before bedtime.

Very sweet-cigarish in taste and extra stinky room note, instantly my mouth is burning from the nicotine and my saliva thickens up. A nose blow yields a wasabi-like sensation. The gag reflex is trying to kick in and I feel the hiccups coming on. About this time the bowl goes out. I take this opportunity to grab a drink and allow the initial nicotine inrush to decline.

Once you relight the bowl it's a bit more mellow. You've had a few moments to adjust and while still potent, its now more manageable. To me this tobacco has a really pleasant sweet cigar taste which hangs in for most of the bowl. It's too powerful otherwise for me to smoke a bunch of, but I will clip off an occasional sliver when the mood strikes.

I think Brown Bogie is a fine tobacco for what it is. It'll make a man of you for sure. I realise that it won't be everyone's taste, but I'm giving it four stars because I actually rather enjoyed it's extreme strength, taste, and experience, and have no complaints or regrets.

plumesnrings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plumesnrings (5)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

I do love this stuff, it is ideal in a small bowl on a cold night and for a quick smoke. It does not bite and just keeps delivering the nicotine! I will keep trying different varieties but I've got a feeling I will come back to my bogie for more!

Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I am always asked by cigar smokers who are switching to the pipe what would be a good blend to try that would replace the flavor of their cigars. I always recommended blends containing cigar leaf but after smoking a good bit of this blend this week, I will now suggest it to them from now on. This blend really does have the flavor and strenth of a good cigar. It packs a nicotine whallup, it flat out hits you and it will smoke from a nice mild beginning at first light and as it smokes down the bowl, it picks up strenth very quickly. It comes in a roll of rope that is thinner than most being it's only about less than a half an inch in diameter and it is a dark and rich brown. It's rolled very tight and must be dried out awhile to be able to crumble it up and smoke. The smoke is very creamy and heavy with a very sweet VA taste with the boldness of a cigar. The room note is heavy but tolerable, still has the aroma of pipe tobacco and not cigar like but it is very strong smelling.

The nice thing I like about this blend is that it has such a strong taste profile and "N" hit but it is at the same time gentle on the pallette and unless pushed to hard, it does not bite. It smokes at a nice slow pace, and burns clean down to the botttom of the pipe without much dottle left and it leaves a gritty grey ash. The aroma of the rasw rope in the pouch is very VA sweet and clean. I really enjoy this blend when I feel like a cigar and it's terrific with a good stout beer. Not for the faint of heart as it is a strong blend, but for more experinced smokers it is a must try blend.

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my favorite of the G&H ropes. It has a smooth, full bodied all tobacco taste and a heavy dose of vitamin N. I find it doesn't taste as good as Petersons Irish Flake but it makes a good substitute. It costs less and is easier to find than IF, so this stuffs a keeper and I'll always have a pound at hand.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This tobacco pretty much lives up to what everybody's saying about it. Strong and full bodied. It's got a cigarish taste to it and leaves you with a good nicotene buzz. There is no level of stress this stuff cannot conquer.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant

I've been enjoying Black XX for a while now, but this morning was my first taste of Brown Bogie, from a jar that's been aging for half a year. I was surprised at how mellow this stuff is based on the reviews I've read. This is a very good tobacco.

I shaved off a few coins and pulled them apart into a pseudo-shag, and just stuffed it into a small freehand. It took just a little greater than average effort to catch fire, and required a few two-second relights during the smoke, but nothing extensive or inconvenient. It starts off almost too mild, requiring some concentration and coaxing to get the flavors to reveal themselves. After ten minutes it becomes richer and settles into a mild, rich, toasty smoke with not even a hint of the oiliness inherent in Black XX.

Plenty of white smoke, no bite at all, smooth and tasty, a wonderful way to start the day while soaking in the morning sun. The room note is surprisingly nice, again nothing like its XX cousin. I wouldn't want to blend this with other weeds because I think the delicate flavors would be lost. I can tell this is going to become a favorite when I'm the mood for a simple, classic smoking experience based on a very long historical tradition.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

If you find yourself confused, as I did, with all of these ropes, here is some help: In Gawith Hoggarth parlance, ropes come as Pigtails, Bogie, or Twists. The only difference is in the diameter of the rope, with Twists being the thickest, and pigtails the thinnest. Samuel Gawith has the thin pigtails, and Rope, which is the diameter equivalent of GH Twist. Generally, pigtails are intended for chewers, and Twist & Rope for pipes, with Bogie in the middle. But one can smoke them all, and with the current spotty availability of Lakeland tobaccos, that is important to know.

The ropes come Brown or Black (well, they also come flavored with cherry, rum, and such, but I dislike such flavorings and will thus ignore them). Brown is light, clean, crisp and very strong. Black is rich, oily, tarry, and not as strong, but still strong.

Both can be purchased pre-sliced, which can be a nice convenience, particularily with the Black. The Brown slices up nice as you please, but the black not so much. All the tar tends to gum up the cutting implement, and the process can become tedious. I plan in the future to buy my Black pre-sliced.

It's great fun to buy this stuff a pound (500g) at a time. The large coil of rope you receive is wonderful to contemplate, complete with a 4 penny nail hammered in to hold it together. Conversely, buying these tinned makes for a rather poor first impression. These tobaccos are quite dense, so 50g is only a few inches of rope. Thus, upon opening the tin, the first impression is that it is half empty, and the other is that it resembles (well, you know...).

For how these taste and smoke, see my Black and Brown reviews under Samuel Gawith, and happy smoking!

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Yet another blend that I most likely would never have known about. Thanks to TR I have another favorite. This rope is a very full flavored, all tobacco blend. While it is quite strong (I like) it is oh so smokeable. Some may find it is boreing to deal with ropes, but to me it is enjoyable to sit and cut, and rub this blend out while I'm puffing my pipe. My method for this one is to slice off thin "coins" with my cigar cutter, let dry for a short while, and then it rubs out easily. The pack, light, and burn are excelent. This may become a "desert island" blend.....also a great blender. Rate

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

As others have noted, this is very strong, and probably not an everyday type of tobacco. But that doesn't prevent it from being an occasional delight.

I do have to admit that even though I'm growing fond of the stuff, it looks and smells disgusting in it's natural state, but if you can get past that, it's a bracing and unusual treat.

I cut it into coins with a cigar cutter, then rub it out. I kind of like the fact that you can control the thickness of the cut. I cut it thin and use a light hand when packing it, and it fires right up, almost without needing a second light.

The flavor when it's burning is fairly unusual, a bit like a cigar, a bit "meaty," with an elusive salty and sour taste that's hard to identify. Although I quite enjoy the room note, I don't imagine that it would be too popular with non-smokers. It has a lot in common with 1792, but without the tonquin.

All in all, a very satisfying smoke.

---------Update September 3, 2008-------------

I've gone through more of this and I'm going to bump it up to four stars. The more I smoke of it, the more I like it. I've taken to slicing off a week's supply of coins at one time using a utility knife.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Once you get past the smell, you've got it licked.

Once sliced, rubbed and dried a bit, it lights easily and produces clouds of white smoke and a good nicotine hit. It just doesn't seem to taste like much.

It does make a fine chew, and I think I may grind some into nasal snuff.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (71)
Overwhelming Extremely Mild Extra Full Very Strong

This, as many of the Gawith & Hoggarth's go, is the everclear of tobacco. The trashcan punch. The rough "woman of negotiable affection" at the Texas border down on the Mexican side.

A great pipe tobacco if you enjoy movies full of violence, action morbid horror. I do.

Also great if you are an ex-cigarette smoker trying to stave off nicotine cravings. Be satisfied in spades.

Images evoked include a zombie crawling through murky swamps with sliced hamstrings and a penchant for alligator brains.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

An interesting tobacco, from a historical point of view. I enjoy smoking unusual tobaccos for the fun of preparing them. This was no exception, but the smoking characteristics were less fun. It was very strong for a start, and rather harsh. I put the pipe down for 15 mins as it was so strong, but on relighting the harshness was 10 times worse. It wasnt bite so much, just a harshness that irritated my mouth and throat. The flavour was very natural, woody, nutty, slightly smokey, but the harshness made it unpleasant to smoke.

I've heard of this style of tobacco that miners would chew while in the mines, then put the chewed quid in their pockets. Later, when it was a bit drier, they would smoke it, and kept some of the ash for their wives to blend with their snuff. Perhaps by chewing it first it gets milder. I'm not too enthusiastic to find out, but in the interests of historical research I suppose I should. Ill save it for a rainy day, but will report my findings when I do.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming None Detected Mild Very Strong

This is a different form of the Brown Rope. If you are looking for NICOTINE, this is for you. If you are looking for flavor, you won't find much here, unless you consider "harsh" to be a flavor. With this much strength, you might expect overwhelming flavor, but it just isn't here. Sharp and rough, no real tobacco taste here.

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Wow! This is the strongest tobacco I've ever tried. It is even more potent than Samuel Gawith's Brown #4 Kendal Twist, which previously held the title. I tend to have a taste for stronger pipe tobacco and cigars, but brother this is powerful. I recommend eating a meal and sitting in a comfortable chair indoors in the A.C., if your going to step up to the plate with a bowl of this one. But ya know what? I liked it and I will smoke it again. There is a really interesting musty, antique sort of flavor to this blend. It's another one of these blends that really transports one back in time. There is no flavoring and you get a full, unadulterated tobacco experience with this blend. It can border on overwhelming and does take some getting used to. But it's like single malt scotch, espresso or Retsina. You have to give yourself time to develop a taste for it before you write off something that, given a little patience, can bring you pleasure.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Rich Full Body Tobacco Flavor, has a slight After Taste.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

After having tried two of GHC's black rope preparations and having had high hopes for this one going by the reviews of GHC Brown Bogie, what a disappointment.

Out of the pouch, the rope has a rather tame aroma; cutting discs is easy, stuffing and lighting also. Unfortunately, when smoked, this stuff tastes like a cheap cigar. Not a quality cigar. Cheap. Flat. Bitter.

Going by that impression, I tried out a bit of the rope as a cigar. Not hard at all. Unfortunately, that way it also tasted like a cheap cigar, with no sweetness at all. Not even smoky, like I would have expected from the advertised Dark Fired tobacco.

To cut a long story short, I have gone through about half of my pouch by now trying just about everything possible to get some joy out of this blend; I have failed. The nicotine content is quite high, but I wish they'd boiled this 'baccy, like with the black varieties. And I wonder what I am going to do with what I have left of this stuff. Can't foist it on my friends -- I don't want to lose my friends. Can't smoke it myself -- don't want to lose my lunch.

== this review was originally posted in a different section because the name of the blend had been changed just before; since the naming has been cleared up in the meantime I am re-posting here and have deleted my original post from 2011-06-26 ==

Furqueron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Furqueron (2)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Sweet, earthy smell. Simple unadorned twist. For the person who appreciates a dark musty tobacco. But be warned. It does indeed deliver some serious nicotine.

I love it. Not every day, but once or twice a month.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Potent. Delicious. A bit peculiar.

Recieved an ounce of this along with another GH twist. Have tried and liked SG Black XXX twist, so I had to try a brown twist. Yes, it looks like a turd.

Sliced into 1/16 inch disks and rubbed out. Really pissed off my wife by using a "good" cutting board and one of the Henkels knives. Let dry on table overnight until dry but not crunchy. I expected it to be potent, so I packed it into my smallest bowl- a small filtered prince.

Nice, true tobacco flavor from first light. Even, clean burn. Substantial bluish smoke. Smooth and biteless. Wonderful nose notes- almost maduro cigar scent. Reminds me a bit of a Parodi or DeNobili dark italian style stogie. Then the nicotine hits after about 5 minutes (and I'm not a nicotine lightweight), wow! Cottonmouth, throat tightens and a bit of heartburn. Put the bowl down! Sipped on a pint of iced tea and watched the rest of the Bigfoot show. Lit it up again- this time the flavor is SO much nicer and even delicately fragrant. Once again about 5 minutes into it- cottonmouth and a little N rush that I haven't really felt since chuffing down Lucky Strike Unfilterds in the boys room between classes in high school...

I like this stuff. Drug tobacco for the masses. Probably would be great for a night of drinking hard spirits or dark and bitter beers.

Even this little bowl is a bit to big for this stuff-just too much drug delivery- will try it in a corncob pony or maybe one of my small clay pipes that get too hot. Or perhaps I'll dig out thos chunks of pipe shaped cherry branches that I've been hiding in the garage and actually fashion a 1/2 inch diameter deep bowl pipe that I'll use just for this stuff...

I'll definately be ordering more of this. Definately a primo choice for those doing the cigarette to pipe thing. Jeeze, this might me the only tobacco that I hide in my marsh shack next to that bottle of bourbon for end of the world use...why not.

Certainly recommended...

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Unnoticeable

I chew this like plug chewing tobacco when I cant smoke but I don't enjoy it very much in the pipe. I dipped Copenhagen snuff for 16 years and I am trying to stop, when I have a craving I don't buy Copenhagen I just chew a small cut of this rope and find it satisfying.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another beautiful rope from G/H, i highly recommend trying all of G/H Twists & Ropes, they are all really good, i smoke them everyday and always get a good smoke from them,as long as you give the tobacco the respect its due you'll enjoy them.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

Same as Brown Irish X (Brown Irish Twist). Extremely excellent strong stand alone, or as a top end blending agent. It's a helluvalot more convenient for prep because the rope size is 2/3 less the width. The positive consideration for the aforementioned fat lovely rope is that it's width allows for moisture retention that will age nicely in glass jars for at least 30+ years, and like fine wine, ONLY GETS BETTER! Providing you and I live long enough to enjoy the outcome. At that point, we could only hope that family members/friends have the good fortune to inherent such a curious thing, and the knowledge that would allow it's privileged pleasure.

Anyway, I love this stuff. It is for the experienced smoker. See my review for Brown Irish Twist, and you'll have my review for this super little twist.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Slimmer ring gauge than XX Black Rope. Brown feces-like appearance... Great as a blender to add stoutness & Vitamin N to weaker tobacco.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

Like all twists, this is very inconvenient unless you actually like all the fuss and foreplay that has to happen before you can smoke it (though you can buy it sliced up for you). Also, it's a little like going on one of those scary rides at amusement parks: some people enjoy it and can't get enough of it; others stagger around groaning and vomiting and looking green. The vital thing here is to smoke slowly: as slowly as you can (careful preparation is therefore especially necessary; otherwise it will just keep going out). If you do, you will get a strong, full, traditional tobacco flavour and a smoke that will last for a good deal more than an hour in a middle-sized bowl. If you don't, you will immediately join the fraternity of those who stagger around groaning and vomiting and looking green. It's very, very strong in nicotine terms, and very harsh if you rush it. Personally, I don't like it, because I'm a wuss. If you do like old fashioned, uncased, strong, Popeye-the-Sailor tobacco, this'll do you nicely. I give it two stars - I recommend it, but with a warning that you're in for a fight if you try it. This is definitely not one for the faint of heart, and definitely not for the novice.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Extra Full Tolerable

This blend is a serious one. It is not for school girls.

If is so strong that i had to dump the contents at our Pipe Club Meeting last night after about 10 puffs.

The gentleman across the table from me Inhaled a puff and thought his lung was gonna collape. Not a good idea with any pipe tobacco, ESPECIALLY this one.

The taste is extremely Full, there is just no other way to describle it. While i was puffing i could feel a tingling on my tongue similar to tongue bite. The difference was that it was the sheer strenght of this tobacco and not bite at all.

Be carefull when smoking this.

Mo, South Africa

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Strong None Detected Mild Strong

First impression; it looks like turd. Thankfully smells like tobacco, hopefully will smoke better than turd.

Not an everyday smoke this one but as an ex-cigarette smoker I get the nicotine hit I need with this stuff. Sadly I only get the nicotine; no flavour. It's just (for lack of another word) harsh as others have said before.

Preparing this stuff can be tiresome at times; cut into coins, cut some more into cubes, rub it out or just load it as kind of cubes into the pipe of your choice. Don't forget to dry it a bit as it will be difficult to smoke as it is. Even cutting this stuff is difficult; your knife will be covered by oily stuff.

Recommended to those who needs a quick nicotine fix not to those who wants flavour.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Dusty earthy sweet and musty. A very stout smoke indeed! Cut a piece for a chew, I dare ya.

Lazy Mango Jalfreizi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazy Mango Jalfreizi (5)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Supposedly a tobacco for the "experienced" smoker. I find it to be one of my absolute favourites. Great full tobacco taste which is earthy and strong. Lots of nicotine, which can leave me more than a little light headed if smoked in a hurry. It has absolutely no tongue bite whatsoever, and burns very cool and slowly. I like to smoke it at a medium pace, and find a medium bowl at this rate lasts me a couple of hours. It definately needs a lot of preparation before it can be loaded into your pipe. First I cut it into coins with a cigar cutter about 1.5-2mm thick. I used to cut it with a really sharp knife blade, but found that after 5 or 6 cuts the knife was covered with a thick sticky tar like resin, which made neat cutting hard to do, and required lots of blade cleaning. The cigar cutter does a better more consistant job, but it's still extremely heavy going, and hard to cut. I keep the coins in a sealed glass jar, and to prepare it for my pipe I cut the coins into quarters then eighths and lighly rub it out, packing the pipe fairly tight. A firm favourite for me, but not one for the morning or on an empty stomach, or my head is buzzing for a couple of hours after it's finished.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I Tried this purely out of curiosity. I tried black bogie, which I quite liked. So I thought I'd give this one a go, knowing it is stronger. There are some nice flavours that come through in this tobacco, which have stopped me throwing it away. But this is just too strong and way too harsh for my liking. Might smoke it occasionally to see if it grows on me, but I doubt it will.

Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

After having tried two of GHC's black rope preparation and having had high hopes for this one going by the reviews of GHC Brown Bogie, what a disappointment.

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (9)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lord have mercy, this is what I call a powerful nicotine delivery system. After smoking half a bowl, I had to be carried inside. This is very strong tobacco; you can hang yourself with this rope if you're not careful. This is an excellent tobacco for what it is, it is a cool smoking tasty tobacco with a little bit of sweetness which I did not expect.

Albert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albert (6)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Strong

The famed Brown Bogie is a very pleasant tasting tobacco but you can't spend too long actually tasting it. Even if you sip this tobacco very slowly it still delivers a knock-out blow. I recommend purchasing 25 grams for mixing – unless of course you're a masochist smoker. As a plug tobacco it looks like a small dog's turd and will retain its moisture for some time. That said, don't let it dry out for too long. The moisture helps to slow down the burn rate and with this tobacco - if you can appreciate it at all - you'll appreciate it not being too dry. After the few charring-light puffs just watch out for the upper-cut this tobacco delivers. As the hiccups begin and you start to go down you'll get the merciless kick to the guts. Enjoy!

gungfu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gungfu (2)
Very Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

Just what I have been looking for.A good strong smoke.when smoke slow you can taste its true flavor. I use a medium size meer. I find it smother smoke that way. Just remember to put the pipe down when you have enough nic hit.not a everyday smoke. Maybe after a good meal on the weekends .

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

It's a bit of an animal this :-)

A full rounded flavour and strength, much like the rest of the brown ropes from G&H and SG...they all share a family resemblance as you would expect. Much the same as Dark Birdseye..in fact the same baccy but in rope form. Bogie is a full on tobacco for those who love Lady N...I'm one of them.

Highly recommended. Dry it out a bit before you smoke it.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very strong smoke.I find it salty and flaverfull its not my every day smoke but once in awhile.I stored some and will let it age for a year.Will update in ayr.and let you know how it is.

bbqncigars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bbqncigars (7)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a 'slap your mama' smoke. Not for weenies. The cigar equivalent would be a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero or Triple Ligero. A nice break from wimpy tobaccos. This is a a full flavored straight tobacco with no prisoners taken. Slice up and let dry a bit before loading into your chosen nicotine delivery device.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

Definitely a whomp of nicotine. Have a big meal before this one. I can handle quite a lot of nicotine and halfway through the bowl even I was feeling quite light-headed. It has a tendency to bite if you puff too fast, and it'll bite hard. But if you smoke smooth and slow it has quite a nice flavor to it. This is definitely not an "all the time" blend but for once in a blue moon it really fits the bill.

My main reason for not smoking it a little more often is that I can't be arsed to cut up the rope. Too much of a hassle. I like my flakes but plugs and ropes are too much of a bother most of the time. So maybe this should be two stars, but I'm not basing this on ease of packing, just flavor qualities and smokability.

batfastard123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
batfastard123 (10)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Another High nicotine punch here, just like the Brown Irish Twist. Again this is full unadulterated tobacco flavor, no casings here. I think this is a bit milder than the brown Twist but stronger than the Black. All in all a good smoke, even if it does have a funny name. Don't try this one for the first time on an empty stomach or if you have to operate heavy machinery. A good after meal smoke to relax you, full of flavor and again, a bit of the old time style of smoking. If you only like mild smokes, stay away from this one, it is a powerhouse of flavor and nicotine. I found it to be a very refreshing smoke. a 9 out of 10.