Blackpoint is a luxurious blend of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian latakia, exotic Oriental tobaccos, and a perfect measure of Louisiana perique for a lively, piquant finish. The smoke is creamy and lingering, engaging the palate with a mouth filling array of wonderful flavours. Reminiscent of raisins and stewed figs, fireplaces in the fall, walks in the forest... Perhaps the most complex in the collection. Perfect for evenings.

Notes: Blackpoint was released in March, 2003

Strength
Taste

3.2
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Somewhere between a wide ribbon and a broken flake, this blend has an incredible tin aroma of burning leaves and exotic spices. Exotic is a good word to describe the taste as well. I would not call this one creamy, as Odyssey is, but it's a much more complex smoke and tastes nearly as good. Campfires and leather, with some darker fruit - perhaps plums. Gorgeous room aroma. This is a mouth-filling blend and generates a fair bit of smoke, for folks who like that.

The interesting thing about this one is how it behaves under pressure. A fairly fast puffer would do well with this one, as it doesn't change its character nearly as much with fast puffing as most blends do. It never bit, never became harsh nor bitter - the only thing it did to show its displeasure with faster puffing is that the complexity toned down and it became monodimensional (latakia). Nothing wrong with that, but puffed in typical fashion, it was quite a changeling over the course of a bowl. Very multidimensional. The perique wasn't noticeable to me as an actual flavor but it seemed to put a smooth finish to the proceedings.

Comparisons to Samarra may seem reasonable or not, but that's the last GLP blend I smoked and it does seem to be similar in components to this one. While Samarra had this amazing knack for tasting as though it was one tobacco with many faces, this one tasted "typical" - that is, it seemed to be comprised of components. As a result, it wasn't quite as seamless in its presentation. But I prefer the flavor of Blackpoint. Both will be in my rotation but I'll be smoking more of this one. Highly recommended. So far, I think GLP's Classic Collection seems the most consistently representational of genius in tobacco blending, although some other blends that fall outside that collection seem to be as well.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is a very good blend that has a lot to offer. First off it is what I would call english- not quite balkan. As a general rule a balkan to me has a more intense oriental and less sweet flavor. I don't believe this blend is cased or topped due to the way the tobacco looks, feels and smokes. I notice many reviews ranking it as flavored. I honestly believe it is from the variety of tobacco's that the flavor is derived.

The tin smells good- leathery and earthy, very intriguing indeed. The tobacco has many complex tastes going on sometimes many at once. I find this one to be a great evening or walk in the woods smoke. Makes me think of fall and the associated smells for some reason- just as the tin describes. I don't know why some criticize Pease for his tin descriptions. In almost every instance I find them accurate. They may be a bit poetic but this is high class tobacco, I can see how it would inspire one.

This just has the perfect balance of all the components that is very hard to achieve. I normally don't care for perique but in this case it is welcome- although it is a aftertaste note and it dances in the background. The best analogy I can make is to compare this to is the Lindt dark chocolate with the chili pepper in it. The blend has a complex smokey, spicy, sweet taste from the va,latakia+orientals, but is peppery on the finish from the perique. Some of the flavors are time release and you taste three or more different tobacco's in one puff. Much like fine food.

So well done. This is a twist on your usual english and I really am into it. As usual for a Pease, it has no bite and burns dry till nothing is left. This is one that I am never in a hurry to see the end of a bowl of and it is best enjoyed at a relaxed pace with a clear mind. It is pleasent all the way, and could, make that will be smoked regularly. The nicotine level is light too, I never feel overpowered. Sometimes this is very welcome. other times I smoke laurel heights and feel a little buzzed when I want to be. Amazing how different tobaccos make you feel.

This one is right up there with Caravan in terms of how much I enjoy it. This is 100% for sure in the top five tobacco's being produced today. Pease uses some great quality leaf in the blends. This one is amazing in that it incorporates many of my favorite tobacco's into one great blend.

I am planning on building a stash that includes quite a bit of this to age. It seems rare to find a tin older than a couple months. I can only imagine what a few years age would do for this.

One of the best ever. I think you should try it. If you like the spice in this try Caravan, it is a different beast of the balkan genre but the complexity and flavor seem to be a good companion/contrast to this blend. I like to smoke blackpoint then caravan, sometimes the other way around. To me that is about as good as it gets.

The red and lemon Virginias are tangy sweet with some citrus, and dark fruit, along with a touch of grass and a little earth. They form the base of the blend that the other tobaccos play off of. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody and sweet as expected and is a team player, though it sometimes dominates. The Oriental/Turkish is smoky, woody with a few dry floral notes that are always noticeable in a small way. The perique is raisin and fig with a little spice in a minor role. Has a mild nic-hit. Not overly complex, some of the components vary in when and with what strength they show up. Is fairly smooth, but not creamy. Has a campfire feel as it burns at a moderate rate with no bite or harsh notes, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. It will need some relights. Has a pleasant after taste and is almost an all day smoke.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 5/13/10

Appearance: The quintessential Greg Pease rough-cut pseudo ribbon. Some big sticks and twigs, which I normally just load right into the pipe.

Aroma: The tin aroma is delicious, very woodsy and smoky, but not a Latakia bomb. There is a wonderful tang, either from the Perique or the Orientals (or both, methinks) that adds a nice counterbalance to the smoky Latakia. The room note is wonderful, possibly the best of any medium to full English I've had to date.

Pipe 1: Meer bent billiard Pipe 2: GBD pot Pipe 3: Danske Club volcano Pipe 4: Nording Signature freehand

Flavor: For me, the Orientals really make this blend come alive. There is a distinctive oriental toasty/herbal quality that is beautifully balanced with the other ingredients. The Latakia is actually quite mild, not even approaching what I would call a “heavy lat” mixture, however it gains strength in the second half of the bowl when the mixture becomes a predominantly Latakia-laden English. The Virginias form a firm foundation adding some sweetness and richness to the smoke and spice.

The Perique never makes a strong appearance according to my taster. It's mild enough to be considered the tobacco equivalent of a dash of salt or pepper in a bowl of pasta. This mild condimental behavior is probably what Mr. Pease planned, and it works wonderfully.

Many call this a complex blend, but I'm not so sure…delicious, yes, and in certain pipes it exhibits a wider range of flavors and nuance. In my Dankse Cllub volcano, for example, the Latakia shone through. In the meer, the spice and toastiness of the Orientals. In the Nording, well-balanced in the beginning then Latakia-heavy near the end. Experiment with different pipes, but you will probably love it in any of your chosen utensils.

It certainly is less “full” than Abingdon and Westminster (regarding Latakia content) but is altogether as rich and flavorful. The nuances of the Orientals float in and out, depending on temperature, puffing cadence, etc., and the various ingredients—while behaving well together with none taking a predominant lead— make appearances which just as quickly fade away, which is probably what leads to the descriptions of “complex.” Campfire smoky one moment, toasty and warm the next, then a bit of spice, then a combination of any two or three of the above...yes, I guess you could call it complex after all.

Having not smoked Abingdon or Westminster for many months, I'll have to do a side by side comparison, but the preliminary word is, I may like this better than either of those classics. And this from a new tin! Eventually I'll be going back to do a quick refresher with all of the Pease English blends, so I can narrow it down to just a few favorites. Right now, this one is a contender for top of the list.

Four stars and on my “buy a lot more” list.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

G. L. Pease Blackpoint (part of the Classic Collection) provides an entry in a crowded field of medium to strong latakia mixtures, many of which are outstanding. The Pease brand itself offers a coterie of these. Blackpoint more than holds its own.

Open the tin and you find stringy ribbon of middle hue with a latakia aroma that will entrance many. I personally find the blend a bit too moist upon first cracking the tin. Lighting presents no problem with a bit of drying. The burning aroma has the leathery/campfire smell of latakia, although it is not quite as strong as some blends that arouse the ire of non smokers.

The red and lemon Virginia base presents the typical Virginia sweetness along with a touch of citrus. The perique is present only in a condimental measure, although I do find it more noticeable toward the bottom of the bowl. A goodly measure of oriental offers the tangy mustiness provided by such tobacco. Blackpoint is a latakia forward blend, although the latakia does not dominate every puff. Part of the Pease magic comes from measuring out the various tobaccos in such a way that the flavor is layered, changing consistently in the course of the smoke. Blackpoint does not offer quite so much latakia as its Classic Collection stablemates Abingdon and Odyssey, but it has more than Charring Cross, and considerably more that Samarra and Picadilly.

Except for the most careless of heavy puffers, Blackpoint presents no tongue bite problems. The pipe load burns down to a fine, dry white ash.

I smoked my last tin of Blackpoint with a variety of pipes that I use for Latakia/oriental blends. No particular pipe stood out. I did try one bowl with my single Medico (one of my usually aromatic only pipes), and somewhat to my surprise the sweetish ghosting merged with the English style blend quite nicely, creating something close to a crossover blend.

Some pipe smokers avoid all mixtures with more than a condimental trace of latakia, and they will not be interested in Blackpoint. Also there are those who have no interest in pipe tobaccos aside from the aromatic blends. But for the rest of the pipe smoking population I give Blackpoint a solid recommendation.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

In the last six months, I have smoked through two tins of Blackpoint dating back to 2006 and 2007, making most of my experience with this blend at the 7-8 year mark.

Like most GL Pease tobaccos, this one comes slightly moist, which suits me well. I am a sipper rather than a puffer, and did not tend to get gurgle from this at all. The moisture slowly evaporated in the tins over the weeks that I smoked them. The colors tended to be a bit darker than I expect when this was fresher.

Pease nailed the tin description, as always. Stewed fruits and campfire are the predominant notes, both in the tin and in the pipe. The latakia is there but well-integrated and probably a little muted after 7 years, which suits me just fine. The perique wasn't noticeable to me on its own, but like many of his blends with small amounts of condimental leaf, I suspect I would notice its absence. I'm guessing that the perique and Virginias conspired to create the base of deep fruits, with the orientals and latakia providing spice and smoke. I'm terrible at picking out individual flavors, but after 7 years of aging, it's really more of a holistic experience anyway. I can recall moments of thinking that this must be the sort of latakia blend that folks enjoyed in decades past. It wasn't sweet, like Maltese Falcon is. But neither was it acrid, as some bigger latakia blends can taste to me. It walks a tightrope of perfect balance.

Make no mistake: this is a big blend. But it's not without refinement and complexity. That's not to say it can't be a set it and forget it smoke, as it sometimes was for me. The easy burn made that possible. But in the right pipe and the right circumstances, this one sung to me as few fuller latakia blends can.

This is highly recommended, especially with age. If you like your fuller latakia blends with some complexity and balance, this is your smoke.

Pipe Used: Lots of them

Purchased From: Various

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be the most perfectly balanced High English blend of all time. That is both its advantage and its drawback.

It's a wonderful complex of flavours that dance majestically around your mouth. It's slightly sweet, slightly tangy, slightly spicy, slightly smoky, slightly bright, slightly dark, slightly tart... it's got it all, with none of the flavours overwhelming the others. It's really quite perfect. This wonderful, velvety melange is the result of high quality leaves working together to form a tantalizing pattern of flavour.

So what's the drawback? That a pattern does not a painting make. I think it comes down to the difference between craft and art. I would be hard pressed to find a greater masterpiece of the craft of blending. However, just because something is magnificently crafted doesn't necessarily mean that it's a work of art. The perfect balance of the elements creates more of a wallpaper than a landscape, tantalizing the tastebuds with a complex flavour tesselation that becomes a pleasing pattern, rather than focusing and directing our attention across a sublime flavour landscape.

Or, said another way, we can wonder admiringly at a prodigy's dexterity even as we tactfully overlook a lack of soulfulness in the performance. A technically flawless execution is not necessarily an artistic one.

It feels ungenerous to give this three instead of four stars, but I think its great technical achievement in creating such a perfect balance obscures the fact that there's not that bit of magic to make it transcendent, which is what, to me, four stars signifies. Perfection, after all, is boring (so I hear).

Not that this blend is boring. It's perfectly delightful and always interesting. And it smokes dry and beautifully, in addition to its other assets. I cannot imagine that any lover of English blends wouldn't like and appreciate Blackpoint. It is a classic. It's just too homeostatic to be great.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe the latest line of tobaccos by this blender were created for those wanting lighter fare. Blackpoint will fill the bill.

This weed is lightly flavorful. The Virginia carries the load, but Latakia is noticed by the smoker as is Perique. The latter embedded deeply in the background until the final 3rd of the bowl.

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I need more strength and add a strong Burley (about 20% to the blend to keep this puffer pacified.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

Blackpoint is probably the best example to show why Mr. Pease's blending gets all the good reviews. Balanced and complicated. A lot of time you just get one or the other, but rarely both. I think the perique does some magic to this blend and brings out the brightness, though not in the front.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Well, this is another fine blend from Mr. Pease. A medium English with complexity. I got this "classic collection" tobacco from Mike of classicpipes. What a display of fine Upshalls he has in a comforting atmosphere.

It is string cut blend and doesn't smell overpowering in the tin. It does have a fairly strong room aroma, with definite dark notes. I used the blend to break in a Taylor Made pipe from Mike. So it really took about a full ounce (10-11 bowl fulls) before I was truely getting the fine, complex flavors from this new blend. I have smoked the whole tin in it now. The tobacco tastes quite good even with the little aging it has.

There are several layers of natural flavor -- lightness from the virginias, a little spice from the orientals, varying dark notes from the balanced latakia-perique combo, and a slight sweet note. Not very strong for an English blend, but very interesting.

No bite, fairly dry, packs easy, and burns steady. Nothing to complain about if you want a change of pace English or to venture into English anew. (Now all may not appreciate the room aroma.) Complex enough to capture my attention (as Renaissance did), and I have another tin in the cellar. I'm sure some additional aging will enhance the properties I described, at least a smidgen. I will try more of this classic series.

A solid recommendation.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought three tins of this three years ago on a hunch that I may like it and I love when hunches pay off. This is a great Balkan blend that packs everything you would want in such a blend. It has the campfire notes of the latakia, spicy exotic flavoring from the orientals, more spice and a little nicotine boost from Perique and the perfect amount of Virginia to add sweetness.

When you have this many components it is inevitable that you will have shifting flavors, the key is finding one where you like all the flavors presented. This is exactly how Blackpoint hits my palate. It shifts from one great flavor to another. Just a well done blend with incredible balance.

To anyone who is bemoaning the potential loss of Dunhill Nightcap, buy some tins of this and you will forget about Nightcap quickly.

Similar Blends: Lane Crown Achievement.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

G. L. Pease - Blackpoint (Classic Collection).

As I'm having an 'English day', started with McC' Old Dog, Blackpoint was another I plucked from my stash.

The composition is mainly medium size ribbons with just a few coarser pieces. There's a slightly higher amount of brown pieces compared to black and it has a water content that makes for imminent smoking.

A flavoursome blend this is, a Lat-Bomb this is not. The Latakia has an emphatic flavour, but doesn't cartelize and run the show. I find a pleasantly fragrant note from the Orientals, which doesn't exactly necessitate hard work to taste. I only get a small amount of flavour from the Perique: enough sweet plums to add character, but not a cacophony of spice. Throughout a bowl the Virginias are easy to identify, but after a quarter they become tarter tasting. Blackpoint burns well, creating a medium temperature smoke, without bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: tolerable to strong.

Blackpoint? A three star smoke:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Brebbia and Cob

Age When Smoked: Stamped 05/25/17

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)

G. L. Pease Blackpoint is smooth, sweet, nutty and creamy with a cooling smokiness. Indeed slightly piquant throughout the entire bowl, but not annoyingly so. It keeps the tobacco interesting and makes it appear a bit stronger than it actually is at first.

I also tested it with a carbon filter, which seems to make the Perique even more prominent, while the Virginias get mostly suppressed. The taste and smell of roasted nuts increases within the first half of the bowl, then remains pretty constant for the second. Expect some sweet and earthy tones in the end. Try to smoke it different shapes and bowl sizes, because I found it varies quite a bit dependent on our choice. A medium size Sillem’s Gentleman 333 Rhodesian is now my personal Holy-Blackpoint-Grail.

I once put the pipe down and picked it up after more than 30 minutes ready to get rid of the now cold tobacco, but it was surprisingly easy to reactivate it back to full taste. No doubt a high quality product and benchmark for its kind. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Several briars with and without filter

Age When Smoked: fresh to 2yrs

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I sometimes find myself wondering whether I have a tin of the same tobacco that other reviewers have described. My tin of Blackpoint is a case in point. It had been “aged” in the tin for a little over a year and the tin aroma seemed OK, but it was over-dominated by Latakia; it was difficult to specifically identify the other components in the blend based purely on aroma. I have smoked this in five different pipes—3 briars and 2 meerschaums—and I have not detected much of a taste variance between pipes.

For my tastes this blend is badly out-of-balance—too much Latakia—and the Virginias in the blend are not sufficient to stand up to the Latakia; in fact, the Virginias seem unable to “cut through” the Latakia. I could detect the Turkish to an extent in both the flavor and the aroma of the smoke, but I cannot bring myself to describe the influence of the Turkish as anything approaching “complex”. In short the Latakia “smothers” the other tobaccos in this blend. (I can perhaps detect the presence of Perique as only a slight tickle on the tongue, but I can’t honestly say that I taste it.)

I hesitate to suggest the possibility that this tin came from a bad blending batch. I don't like to imply a “quality control” issue, but the possibility exists. It happens--I have discovered a few tins in my time that were not consistent with other tins of the same blend. I mention this only because my experience with this blend is so very different than what is described by so many other reviewers. And it’s not that I dislike Latakia (because I don’t), but I don’t have much of an appreciation or tolerance for a REALLY heavy Latakia presence. This could be the case here; it’s simply too much Latakia for me.

Blackpoint gets a 1-star rating because I can’t bring myself to recommend it. And I am not so curious about it that I am willing to purchase another tin. I may re-visit this blend in about six months time and I'll alter my review if necessary.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

This reminds me of Chelsea Morning but a bit more Lat heavy or Dunhill Nightcap. Very pleasant and easy to smoke. Update: Really lovin this stuff. A great English. Dont really taste the Perique at all though. This is not at all a Vaper as it has way to much Lat to be categorized as such. Update 2. Getting a little bored with the mono flavour of this. Taking it down to three stars. Still very good tobac though. Just not holding my attention long term like most of Greg's other English blends.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this blend, it's one of the few JLP blends I've tried that didn't start and end with "Tabasco", only a little spice (tin had 6 months of cellering). It burns slow, Medium "N", no bite and complex. It starts with Latakia , then the Orientals come in with a very nice balance. I wouldn't say it's sweet, more creamy, salty, smokie and smooth and I can't find the Perique. My only issue is that it seems to burn a little damp,(even after drying) and gives me some gurgle, this tends to require relights during the second half of the bowl. I could find a place in my rotation but I'd have to do a comparison against McC's "Legends" or "Jubilee", that I think are very similar and are tough competition.I think this one is heavier with the Latakia and leaves a slight bitter smokieness after the smoke.

updated 11/11/2013- No Gurgle ? this is 4 stars all the way

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first so called balkan that I ever tried, and I must say I probably have the fondest memories of it of any blend I've smoked since. The first time I smoked this blend I remember I went for a walk around the block on a warm summer night a few years ago. I remember about half way through the bowl some bold spicy goodness came through and hit my tongue like a parade of ballet dancers. I think I actually stomped my feet and shouted with excitement at the amazing experience I was having. I recommend this blend to someone who is just moving into Latakia from Aromatic blends, it has a series of surprising and bold flavors that change as you smoke through the bowl. I picked up on various spices as well as that leathery, campfire taste, which comes through boldly and then subsides to let you experience what may have been vanilla and a bit of nutmeg, not saying these are flavors intentionally put there, but that is what I got out of it. I recommend that you smoke this blend in the evening or as a nightcap while sitting out on a cool or warm night, sometime when you are not in a rush and can give your devout attention to the smoke, smoke the whole bowl through and take note of the different flavors that you can pick up on. I call this a medley blend and in my opinion one of the best!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Revised 12-30-2004 Aging makes a difference.

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Tin date 08-04-03 smelled deliciously musty with some fig notes. Typical medium ribbon with a good balance of light and dark leaves.

Packing and Lighting: Easy as all the Pease blends. Lights 2-3 max.

Initial Flavor: Aaahh! Classic English! Perfectly balanced from the get go.

Mid-Bowl: This blend really shines with a complexity that is among the best. Each leaf is noticable the VA's, the oriental, the perique, the Latakia is all there.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight build up of strength and a delicious sweet note comes through. Ash is mottled grey and dry.

Overall: Well, since the demise of the Syrian latakia, I have been exploring blends that don't use that leaf to replace them. This is a blend that has done that. I wasn't too impressed with this blend when it came out, but after a year and a half of aging, the blend does show it's quality of leaf and blending skill. The perique in this blend is low (which I prefer), but it is felt and noticed from time to time. The nicotine is fairly low and there is a low chance of tongue bite with this blend due to its richness. Thankfully, I stowed away a few tins when it first came out and now I am going to purchase some more for future enjoyment. How does this blend compare to other English blends? It is much more refined than Dunhill London Mixture, It is less Latakia laden than Margate and hence, not as full. It is smoother than T-16, Solani Gold, or even Astley's 99. Bottomline: it is a very good English that I have been smoking pretty much daily.

Rating: 4.75 out of 5 Points

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

The tin say's it all, a truly unique smoking experience. I have found that after smoking this blend in numerous pipes that the blending of the varying Orientals, with the Latakia is first rate. A melange of taste imparts itself onto the smoker, whilst pondering the nuances of the tobacco. This blend has many high notes, and not really any low notes, that I can detect, they just seem to meld together, creating a symphony of flavors. The only suspecting down side would be the absence of a powerfull nicotine presence, which is not missed, since the bouquet is without equal. As with most of GLP's tobacco's, this too will need air, but after the charring light and tamper, you should be ready to go. Burns to a light grey ash, with no dottle. I'm not sure if this tobacco blend is facsimile of another blend or not, but Greg say's it pays homage, so be it!

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

Another blend that I consider part of the "full side" of the Pease's EM production, with Westminster, Charing Cross, Abingdon, etc. Full in terms of taste that, in Blackpoint, is nicely represented by a subtle, nice taste of incense. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)

Jackboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jackboy (2)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Guys, I must be missing something. I have smoked only a few bowls right out to the tin, using a couple of different pipes, and I'm just not getting it. I find the smoke "mild", exceptionally so, but flavorful, no. I smoke a lot of other Peases and enjoy the complexities. But I haven't found it yet with Black Point. Ok, my smoking situation might contribute to my lack of enthusiasm. I live in SE Pa where it is colder than a well digger's ass right now. And I have a neurotic wife who can barely tolerate me when I say the word "tobacco", so all of my smoking is done outside of the house. The best I can do this time of year is sit in my car and hoof away-not the most conducive atmosphere for savoring a complex smoke (my neighbors are aghast). It probably didn't help that the last time I did this I had my car radio on and ran down the battery, detracting from any other possible enjoyment. Hope springs eternal maybe, so when Spring rolls around here in another few months I might change my mind about this blend. I do enjoy the many other Pease blends that I have smoked. Even while freezing my butt off.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: out of the tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Similar Blends: nothing else I have tried..

Dukemans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dukemans (2)

I have been smoking pipes for almost one year now and I must say that I have fallen in love with this hobby. Exploring the many different tobacco blends out there have been a real pleasure and I have found many blends that will be in my daily rotation for a long time to come. This blend is one of those tobaccos.

I have found that latakia forward blends ain't my cup of tea. I prefer the natural sweetnes of virginia. Becuse of this, it is surprising that I have fallen for this relatively latakia heavy blend. But I have. Completely. It's both straightforward and complex. Both sweet and sour. Both heavy and light. I do realize that I am rambling but it realy is that good!

Heavy flavors like earth, salt, pepper and leather( no doubt coming from the latakia and perique)are combined with sweet notes(from the virginia) reminding me of dark dried fruits such as raisins. There is also a little sour taste in the background(orientals I guess) that is really pleasing. This combined with just the right amont of nicotine(for me) makes the blend perfect for me. As with all the blends from G.L Pease that I have tried it dosen't bite and behaves well in the pipe, burning slow and steady with little effort. It also seems to produce a lot of smoke, if that's what you like.

I prefer to smoke this tobacco in my bent Peterson system pipe during my walks in the autum, spring and especially cool summer evenings or in my extra long Chacom prince when I'm reading. I recommend this blend to everyone, even those that don't like latakia all that much. My search for the perfect Balkan blend is over. Here it is.

Pipe Used: Chacom prince, Peterson system bent billiard

Age When Smoked: almost new

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Most Balkan blends, only better!.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I've become a recent fan of Perique. I've been smoking some VaPers recently, thinking, "I'm not crazy about Virginias, but I love Perique. Wouldn't it be nice to have an English blend with a little bit of Perique." Well, here it is, a classic English blend with some Perique added. A great English blend. Blackpoint gets a 4 from me.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965, Perfection, Frog Morton Across the Pond.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I must say this is probably my favorite of the Classic Collection. I ordered 6 tins of this after the first to cellar. It didn't stay there long.

This smoke is chewy, rich and creamy. Very complex, this demands your attention. Perfect for an evening of reflection, I enjoy it after a hard day bird hunting in the uplands.

Pairs well with an Islay Scotch, but it must be a heavy peat scotch to hold up to Blackpoint. Another masterpiece from Greg.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Blackpoint is a blend from GLPease's Classic Collection of tobaccos. It is a nice mixture of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian latakia, Orientals, and perique. As with other blends in this collection, this has a beautiful, mottled appearance of golds, browns, and black, with a sweet, musty aroma, and is presented at what I consider to be an ideal moisture level. The charring light shows the promise of the blend, being a mix of the sweetness of the Virginias, the smokiness of the latakia, and the wonderful, fruity and musty taste of the fine Orientals. The blend lights easily, and remains lit with little effort. This flavor combination continues once the bowl is lit, with the latakia a strong presence but none of the tastes dominating. The minimal amount of perique used adds a hint of both pepper and raisins. Deeper into the smoke, the flavor remains balanced and yet mixed and complex. The smoothness of the smoke is delightful. It is sweet, smoky, musty, slightly peppery, and contains nuances of stewed fruit baking in pastry. No one tobacco overpowered any other, so well-balanced a blend is this. Though I find, at times, that I enjoy tobacco flavor variations through the bowl, I found the consistency of Blackpoint to create an exceptional experience. But saying that, I still was aware, deeper into the smoke, that I was aware of different constituents at different times. Toward the end of the bowl I thought of the Virginias, and how their sweetness was never lost. The Orietals, too, create a music of their own by the end of the smoke, being spicy, woodsy, and musty all at the same time. Blackpoint is another excellent contribution to pipe smokers from the Dark Lord. I can imagine enjoying a wonderful steak dinner and then loading a bowl of Blackpoint to finish off a relaxing Fall evening.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely, rich and very fulfilling with out being too strong or bold. This is my favorite lat blend for when I want that lat hit.

Tangy, smoky, earthy spicy and sweet. This blend is firing on all cylinders. For me, it goes so well with a cup of dark, bold coffee, but I also enjoy it after a meal. I did not care for lat blends until I tried this, and ever since, I enjoy lats.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: fresh to several months

Purchased From: B & M

Similar Blends: A bolder version of Frog Morton..

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)

Very nice sweetness in this blend..almost tangy sweet but not like a tangy virginia. Moments of toastiness as well. Really a superb english that has grown on me quite a bit since I first opened the tin. It does have sort of a winey taste to it as KahveDelisi mentioned. This blend provides a lot of flavor without being the least bit harsh all the while reeking of complexity. Truly enjoyable. 3 stars.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Another sublime Balkan from the Dark Lord. This one is sweeter than Charing Cross, and it's indeed more complex (not as much as Odyssey, IMHO), with a stronger Latakia component and a subtler Oriental.

At the end of the first tin I was going to give it 3 stars, but it's one of those blends that slowly grow on you.

Give it time and you'll be rewarded.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

What I enjoy most about Blackpoint, which is quickly becoming a staple in my rotation, is that it begins as an English blend and then the perique kicks in and it seems to turn into a Va/perique towards the end of the bowl.

The orientals in Blackpoint are very similiar to those in Presbyterian Mixture, which leads me to believe that they are the same or similar variety.

All in all this is a rich, smooth and enjoyable smoke that I'll likely always have on hand.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable

Rudyard Kipling famously said "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." Greg Pease seems to understand that pipe tobaccos are not cigars, and that women and pipe tobaccos are not at all at odds.

Blackpoint is the first of the G.L. Pease Classic Collection I smoked, and is thus the one by which I measure all the others. It is curious that I shall always associate Blackpoint with the English-American jazz singer Stacey Kent. They compliment one another perfectly. Just as Ms. Kent graces the high notes of her songs, so is Blackpoint perfectly on-key in higher ranges of the English tobacco genre.

This is not to say that this blend is in any way a lightweight; rather that it is exhilerating and full of bright surprise. The Latakia and Oriental presence is always there, but as undertone, bass notes in the lower register. The soul of this blend resides in the upper register, in the interplay of the Virginias and Perique.

This is one of the very few blends I have smoked in thirty-five years that offers a surprisingly different character in every puff--all of them delightful.

What more could one ask of a tobacco...or a woman?

Four out of four stars.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I rate this a medium to full taste because it is an "English style" blend. This is one of the best of the type. Very good flavor, no unusual odors or aftertastes. Very smokable right from the can, no processing required. I like it better than "965". Not as strong either. The only downside to this blend is the small amount I bought. I wish I had at least 6 oz. or more to really evaluate this fine tobacco! Update: In my opinion, most of G.L. Pease product is in a level above every other pipe tobacco available. Especially when considering how good it is at the moment of purchase. We need a new category (5 stars?) in order to properly review Pease product. My thoughts are: "How can every person on this planet not smoke a pipe?" after trying this and other G.L. Pease offerings.

Mild None Detected Medium Strong

Although I typically smoke VA or VA/Perique flakes, I thought a trip into the English via the renowned GL Pease might be rewarding. I was no more successful with this trip than my prior ventures even though this is a comparatively mild English. This is not the fault of the tobacco but rather my personal tastes. In addition, I received many complaints on both the tin and room aroma even from cigarette smokers. Although not so surprising due to the Latakia, Oriental and Perique content, these reactions must be considered. The various colors in the tin indicate the complex and varied tobaccos that are present. Packing and lighting were easy and an even burn rate resulted. This blend burned hotter and faster than my unrubbed out flakes but did not even hint of bite. If you enjoy English blends this might be a good one for you but I'm back to my favored VAs.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Once upon a time, in a rare trip through la-la land, I tricked myself into believing that Blackpoint was the intermediate level blend between Abingdon and Charing Cross. Wrong. Blackpoint is a light English and, at the same time, the lightest Balkan blend I have ever smoked. Blackpoint makes an absolutely beautiful presentation on opening the tin, with it's rather fine cut and panorama of colors that run the gamut from blond to nearly black. The tin aroma is fairly light but pleasant and you want to light up right away. When I lit this blend, I joined a minority of reviewers who feel this blend is too light for their enjoyment: pipestud 2003-05-25 (yet, once again), Jason S. Rundle 2006-06-06, Noorrmm 2006-08-31and Philo Beddoe 2011-11-12. Basically, we all think this blend is primarily a Virginia and oriental mixture with a smattering of both latakia and perique. I know that this puts us all at odds with both the majority opinion and the strong descriptors ascribed to Blackpoint above. So, I will leave it by agreeing with reviewer Ehrling 2013-12-10 and, with him, ask the eternal questions: Did I smoke the same blend as most reviewers? Did I get a bad batch from the tinner? Is there something wrong, or, did I miss something?

Pipe Used: Michael Parks and Ashton ELX billiards

Age When Smoked: current production

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: this is hard. As a Balkan formula it is very mild. As an English, in general, this blend might be compared to Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild in strength and taste levels..

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a refined and lively Va/Per blend. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality evening smoke with perique. It makes my top 5 for Pease mixtures and certainly is worthy of accolades.

Update 11/16/12: I purchased a tin of this dated 3/14/2003. At over nine years old, it was to die for. To steal a phrase from a regular on the Brothers of Briar forum, it's like "pure nectar after five years". I couldn't have said it better. Absolutely superb!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not my cup of tea, this is good tobacco for sure but too mild and one dimensional for me. I like my English/ Balkan mixtures full of flavors and with a good dose of strength as well, Blackpoint has neither. Smells great in the tin, similar to Frog Morton, once lit it tastes of smoky peat and leather, the taste does not change or get stronger as the bowl is smoked down.

Charing Cross is one of my always on hand blends, it is tasty, complex and full in body. Blackpoint fails to live up to the high standard set by C.C.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)

This one reminds me single origin yemen mattari coffee. well blanced but still complex. spicy but sweet at the same time, kinda winey all the way and through the last third you get sugary --grape like-- sweetness on the tongue. the only down part; it is expensive (at least where I live)

If I had easy acces I would stock this along with yemen mattari.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

The Blackpoint is the first L blend I have ever tried. I chose this blend because of the complexity of the ingredients and I assumed the more complex the better, just as my first scotch whiskey was a complex blended. By smoking it, each sip I felt a little spicy and ... empty -- the taste just faded before I would like to expect something more. I finished my tin in 2 months and I would say "goodbye" to this blend, not wish to order any more of it.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A deep, mellow, huge sweetness in a very complex Em. Not very good burning qualities.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

** UPDATE 10/11/07: I went out of town last weekend. While I was gone I left the tin lid open. Upon my return and need for my next smoke, I filled my pipe. Those three days did some good. Keep in mind "some" is the operative word here. The after-drying smoke did improve some things. I did not encounter strong tongue bite, the experience was more pleasurable. I wonder if my tongue tasted the lemon VAs - a good semi-sour taste that was pleasureable! This blend could go up one star. IMHO, this is a smoke that I would not turn down if it were offered to me.

By its tin description it seemed to have similar characteristics of a tobacco I really enjoy. That, coupled with the fact that I really enjoy Mr. Pease's Fillmore, led me to order this blend. The tobacco quality was very good. I questioned the tin aroma though. It seemed to be heavy. However, those in my presence when smoking Blackpoint preferred this to the other blend referred to earlier. My lovely wife (the nattering naybob of nicotine negativity) did not seem to complain about an odor when I came in the house.

My tin had arrived already aged three years. I tried this in all my presently small collection of pipes. None of them seemed to like it. The best results were in a thinnish-walled zulu. Even then there were only momentary glimpses of cool smoking. About midbowl it felt as if somebody slathered corrosive material on my tongue. The other portions of each smoke this blend seemed to burn hot. I really tried to give this blend a fair try and wanted the results to be good. However,I am going to have to side with flyboy and Noorrmm on this one. Perhaps Samarra will be more to my liking ...

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (43)

Greg Pease has single-handedly altered my perceptions of latakia and English or Balkan pipe tobaccos so I guess this review is as subjective & biased as you get.

Spicy. Peppery. Citrus flavours. A touch of latakia leather and wood. In short, this is a wonderful blend that I could happily smoke constantly were it not for the rest of his offerings.

I am only ten or twelve bowls into my first exploratory 2oz purchase, but it is already a firm favourite. It is complex, tasty and extremely easy to smoke, requiring all my attention due to its moreish and attractive qualities.

Please Mr Pease, do not allow anything to dissuade you from continuing to blend this glorious substance!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Ribbon cut, average width, multi colored.

Aroma: An English blend for sure, predominantly Virginia, with some Latakia, My nose did not get any hint of Oriental or Perique. Nothing special here.

Packing: Packs easily into any size or shape bowl.

Lighting: Just the usual two matches, most of the time. Sometimes, I needed three to get it going properly.

Initial flavor: Huh? Where?s the beef? Just a sharp, sour taste, not at all like anything else in the series.

Mid-bowl: I get the Virginias and the Latakia, but there is no harmony. I expected a heavier version of Piccadilly, but that is smoother and softer. Still a bit harsh, causing me to produce more saliva, hence gurgling. That?s unusual for me.

Finish: Hard to keep it lit down to the bottom, gets unpleasant too.

Summary: For me, it completely misses on all counts. I don?t plan to cellar any to see how it ages, I don?t care.

stoic066 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoic066 (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I returned to this blend and Pease tobaccos after long break during which I experimented with different less known tobaccos including so called cigar leaf tobaccos. My sample was aged almost two years.

Upon openning the smell was that of fermented fruit. Not unpleasent but slightly overwheming. Appearance is typical of English blend with different colors. Latakia definitely present but not overwhelming. Packing was very easy and I tend to use large pipes for most of my tobaccos.

Lighting was easy with average two matches and I had no problems with keeping it lit as long as I remember to puff on it regularly.

Taste fairly compex and tobacco quality is excellent. Latakia is easily noticable but not overwheming which I like. Sweatness of quality virginia makes it more enjoyable but there was no tongue burning at all. Blackpoint burns into esthetically pleasing grayish ash. This blend is not to die for but nice change of pace. Recommended.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A good tobacco, very complex, difficult to understand at the first bowl. Actually it took me a lot to tame this beast and the big changes throughout the bowl haven't helped. To me this is Virginia dominated, with latakia and perique in the background, coming out stronger in the last third of the bowl. Orientals are present but jump in and out stronger at times, lighter at other times. It's a fine tasting blend but a bit too confusing for my raw palate, and it's a bit too light too, as far as nicotine content.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)

After putting this in a ball jar for a couple of months,i now realize just how complex and flavorfull this blend really is. The virginia's need some age to really get sweet as the tin was only a week old when i purchased it based on the date stamped on the tin.. I have a couple of tins in my basement and it gets much better age so i am upgrading my review. Good stuff!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Very fruity smelling in the tin, thanks to the Perique. It almost reminds of the great Sobranie 759. Rich and intense, but not at the beginning of the bowl. Depending upon the pipe, it can seem good but nothing special (and lacking some Virginia sweetness), or great (and sweet tasting). A good tobacco anyway. It's a bit tricky to pack: too much dust, which might clog the airhole: moisture level was a bit higher than usual for GLPease tobaccos. When packed correctly in a pipe of the right shape it's a joy, otherwise it can be a bit troublesome. Definitely one of the best GLPease efforts: rich and full of nuances.