Blackpoint is a luxurious blend of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, exotic oriental tobaccos, and a perfect measure of Louisiana perique for a lively, piquant finish. The smoke is creamy and lingering, engaging the palate with a mouth-filling array of wonderful flavours. Reminiscent of raisins and stewed figs, fireplaces in the fall, walks in the forest... Perhaps the most complex in the collection. Perfect for evenings.

Notes: Blackpoint was released in March, 2003

Strength
Taste

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is a very good blend that has a lot to offer. First off it is what I would call english- not quite balkan. As a general rule a balkan to me has a more intense oriental and less sweet flavor. I don't believe this blend is cased or topped due to the way the tobacco looks, feels and smokes. I notice many reviews ranking it as flavored. I honestly believe it is from the variety of tobacco's that the flavor is derived.

The tin smells good- leathery and earthy, very intriguing indeed. The tobacco has many complex tastes going on sometimes many at once. I find this one to be a great evening or walk in the woods smoke. Makes me think of fall and the associated smells for some reason- just as the tin describes. I don't know why some criticize Pease for his tin descriptions. In almost every instance I find them accurate. They may be a bit poetic but this is high class tobacco, I can see how it would inspire one.

This just has the perfect balance of all the components that is very hard to achieve. I normally don't care for perique but in this case it is welcome- although it is a aftertaste note and it dances in the background. The best analogy I can make is to compare this to is the Lindt dark chocolate with the chili pepper in it. The blend has a complex smokey, spicy, sweet taste from the va,latakia+orientals, but is peppery on the finish from the perique. Some of the flavors are time release and you taste three or more different tobacco's in one puff. Much like fine food.

So well done. This is a twist on your usual english and I really am into it. As usual for a Pease, it has no bite and burns dry till nothing is left. This is one that I am never in a hurry to see the end of a bowl of and it is best enjoyed at a relaxed pace with a clear mind. It is pleasent all the way, and could, make that will be smoked regularly. The nicotine level is light too, I never feel overpowered. Sometimes this is very welcome. other times I smoke laurel heights and feel a little buzzed when I want to be. Amazing how different tobaccos make you feel.

This one is right up there with Caravan in terms of how much I enjoy it. This is 100% for sure in the top five tobacco's being produced today. Pease uses some great quality leaf in the blends. This one is amazing in that it incorporates many of my favorite tobacco's into one great blend.

I am planning on building a stash that includes quite a bit of this to age. It seems rare to find a tin older than a couple months. I can only imagine what a few years age would do for this.

One of the best ever. I think you should try it. If you like the spice in this try Caravan, it is a different beast of the balkan genre but the complexity and flavor seem to be a good companion/contrast to this blend. I like to smoke blackpoint then caravan, sometimes the other way around. To me that is about as good as it gets.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Somewhere between a wide ribbon and a broken flake, this blend has an incredible tin aroma of burning leaves and exotic spices. Exotic is a good word to describe the taste as well. I would not call this one creamy, as Odyssey is, but it's a much more complex smoke and tastes nearly as good. Campfires and leather, with some darker fruit - perhaps plums. Gorgeous room aroma. This is a mouth-filling blend and generates a fair bit of smoke, for folks who like that.

The interesting thing about this one is how it behaves under pressure. A fairly fast puffer would do well with this one, as it doesn't change its character nearly as much with fast puffing as most blends do. It never bit, never became harsh nor bitter - the only thing it did to show its displeasure with faster puffing is that the complexity toned down and it became monodimensional (latakia). Nothing wrong with that, but puffed in typical fashion, it was quite a changeling over the course of a bowl. Very multidimensional. The perique wasn't noticeable to me as an actual flavor but it seemed to put a smooth finish to the proceedings.

Comparisons to Samarra may seem reasonable or not, but that's the last GLP blend I smoked and it does seem to be similar in components to this one. While Samarra had this amazing knack for tasting as though it was one tobacco with many faces, this one tasted "typical" - that is, it seemed to be comprised of components. As a result, it wasn't quite as seamless in its presentation. But I prefer the flavor of Blackpoint. Both will be in my rotation but I'll be smoking more of this one. Highly recommended. So far, I think GLP's Classic Collection seems the most consistently representational of genius in tobacco blending, although some other blends that fall outside that collection seem to be as well.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Blackpoint reminds me of what many a Balkan used to be. I don't think the goal was to exactly match any particular mixture so much as to remind us of formulations of 15 to 50 years ago.

Appearance: Upon very close inspection I can detect at least 5 different hues of leaf in this mixture Red and Lemon Virginias are in abundance, darker browns of Oriental and Perique with nearly jet black Latakia. The cut is a somewhat varied rough ribbon cut.

Tin aroma: This is one the most complex mixture I have ever encountered. The Virginias are evident, with rich earthy tones and under-currents of fig/raisin and cocoa. The smoky Cyprian Latakia makes the main statement, complex and enticing, plenty of smokiness with underlying astringent tones of bergamot and sandalwood. Just under the surface I detect the Orientals giving the mixture?dryness? and lending even greater depth to the mélange of flavors. Finally, we have a touch of Perique lending it's Louisiana ?pepper? to the range of flavor.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture and I employed the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a gentleman? method of layered packing. The sample I'm reviewing is dated Oct 18, 2004.

Lighting usually is a single match affair, and with a friendly lighting tamp I was well on my way to nirvana each time. As expected, the initial flavor is very smoky with an astringent (very gently so) quality I?ve come to expect from Orientals. Latakia and Orientals tend to live nasally for me, so I often employ the 'French curve' method of inhaling the slipstream smoke. The Virginias and Perique set a firm background and foundation on which the Latakia and Orientals play out a slowly evolving ?drama?. This blend slowly builds in flavors and complexity with each puff.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and the flavors gaining intensity in unison. The initial strength of the Latakia is slowly giving way to other components, the Orientals slowly numbing (not at all in a bad way) my soft pallet and nasal regions. The Virginia comes through a bit more assertively from time to time with rich fruity and sweet tones, the Perique seemingly is there to lend character and fill in the few gaps. Each mouthful is slightly different (as in many a GLP presentation) and unexpected tones creep gently in from time to time. There are blends that lend themselves to what I call auto-pilot smoking, Blackpoint is NOT in this category, requiring my full attention, complex and subtle and constantly changing it is a contemplative smoke.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I?m absolutely in smoker's heaven. The fullness and character of this blend really come into their own during this final stretch. The Virginias have deepened to a wine like goodness and the Latakia and Oriental has widened yielding leather and forest tones. While not particularly strong in nicotine the final third of the bowl is far fuller in flavors and depth than one might expect from where the blend begins. Those who enjoy fuller blends may initially want more of this blend, but in the home stretch I can't imagine wanting more. Blackpoint finds the perfect balance of refinement and power, is never harsh and has plenty to satisfy even the most discerning of palates.

A wonderful and complex Balkan blend from America's premier tobacco blender.

Supplemental Notes: This mixture in my favorite of the Classic Collection and easily within my top ten favorite Balkan mixtures. Rating for those interested in numbers **+

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 5/13/10

Appearance: The quintessential Greg Pease rough-cut pseudo ribbon. Some big sticks and twigs, which I normally just load right into the pipe.

Aroma: The tin aroma is delicious, very woodsy and smoky, but not a Latakia bomb. There is a wonderful tang, either from the Perique or the Orientals (or both, methinks) that adds a nice counterbalance to the smoky Latakia. The room note is wonderful, possibly the best of any medium to full English I've had to date.

Pipe 1: Meer bent billiard Pipe 2: GBD pot Pipe 3: Danske Club volcano Pipe 4: Nording Signature freehand

Flavor: For me, the Orientals really make this blend come alive. There is a distinctive oriental toasty/herbal quality that is beautifully balanced with the other ingredients. The Latakia is actually quite mild, not even approaching what I would call a “heavy lat” mixture, however it gains strength in the second half of the bowl when the mixture becomes a predominantly Latakia-laden English. The Virginias form a firm foundation adding some sweetness and richness to the smoke and spice.

The Perique never makes a strong appearance according to my taster. It's mild enough to be considered the tobacco equivalent of a dash of salt or pepper in a bowl of pasta. This mild condimental behavior is probably what Mr. Pease planned, and it works wonderfully.

Many call this a complex blend, but I'm not so sure…delicious, yes, and in certain pipes it exhibits a wider range of flavors and nuance. In my Dankse Cllub volcano, for example, the Latakia shone through. In the meer, the spice and toastiness of the Orientals. In the Nording, well-balanced in the beginning then Latakia-heavy near the end. Experiment with different pipes, but you will probably love it in any of your chosen utensils.

It certainly is less “full” than Abingdon and Westminster (regarding Latakia content) but is altogether as rich and flavorful. The nuances of the Orientals float in and out, depending on temperature, puffing cadence, etc., and the various ingredients—while behaving well together with none taking a predominant lead— make appearances which just as quickly fade away, which is probably what leads to the descriptions of “complex.” Campfire smoky one moment, toasty and warm the next, then a bit of spice, then a combination of any two or three of the above...yes, I guess you could call it complex after all.

Having not smoked Abingdon or Westminster for many months, I'll have to do a side by side comparison, but the preliminary word is, I may like this better than either of those classics. And this from a new tin! Eventually I'll be going back to do a quick refresher with all of the Pease English blends, so I can narrow it down to just a few favorites. Right now, this one is a contender for top of the list.

Four stars and on my “buy a lot more” list.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

In the last six months, I have smoked through two tins of Blackpoint dating back to 2006 and 2007, making most of my experience with this blend at the 7-8 year mark.

Like most GL Pease tobaccos, this one comes slightly moist, which suits me well. I am a sipper rather than a puffer, and did not tend to get gurgle from this at all. The moisture slowly evaporated in the tins over the weeks that I smoked them. The colors tended to be a bit darker than I expect when this was fresher.

Pease nailed the tin description, as always. Stewed fruits and campfire are the predominant notes, both in the tin and in the pipe. The latakia is there but well-integrated and probably a little muted after 7 years, which suits me just fine. The perique wasn't noticeable to me on its own, but like many of his blends with small amounts of condimental leaf, I suspect I would notice its absence. I'm guessing that the perique and Virginias conspired to create the base of deep fruits, with the orientals and latakia providing spice and smoke. I'm terrible at picking out individual flavors, but after 7 years of aging, it's really more of a holistic experience anyway. I can recall moments of thinking that this must be the sort of latakia blend that folks enjoyed in decades past. It wasn't sweet, like Maltese Falcon is. But neither was it acrid, as some bigger latakia blends can taste to me. It walks a tightrope of perfect balance.

Make no mistake: this is a big blend. But it's not without refinement and complexity. That's not to say it can't be a set it and forget it smoke, as it sometimes was for me. The easy burn made that possible. But in the right pipe and the right circumstances, this one sung to me as few fuller latakia blends can.

This is highly recommended, especially with age. If you like your fuller latakia blends with some complexity and balance, this is your smoke.

Pipe Used: Lots of them

Purchased From: Various

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

General impression: This was my first introduction to Pease and was my local tobacconist's personal recommendation for the GLP line when I told her that I liked latakia but not in large doses. The tin aroma is absolutely sublime - it smells like a combination of earth, dried fruit and campfire (I know it sounds like the description given on the tin, but it really is accurate!). In fact the tin smell is so good that sometimes I open it just to take a whiff! When smoked it tastes creamy, mild and well-balanced - neither VA nor latakia nor perique dominate. The room note is very nice for a non-aromatic and has a slight sweetness to it. This has become my favorite non-aromatic blend.

Who should buy this stuff: You like mild to medium English blends that are complex in taste. You like VAPER blends and you want something different with a little hint of smokiness to it. You like complex, contemplative tobaccos. This is not a good blend for latakia-fiends or for situations where relighting would be highly inconvenient (while walking or gardening for instance).

Final notes: This stuff needs to dry out before being smoked and even then, the wide cuts of the leaf make keeping it lit difficult. This blend can also produce some gurgle, so keep your pipe cleaners and lighter handy. I like pairing Blackpoint with chamomile tea.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Revised 12-30-2004 Aging makes a difference.

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Tin date 08-04-03 smelled deliciously musty with some fig notes. Typical medium ribbon with a good balance of light and dark leaves.

Packing and Lighting: Easy as all the Pease blends. Lights 2-3 max.

Initial Flavor: Aaahh! Classic English! Perfectly balanced from the get go.

Mid-Bowl: This blend really shines with a complexity that is among the best. Each leaf is noticable the VA's, the oriental, the perique, the Latakia is all there.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight build up of strength and a delicious sweet note comes through. Ash is mottled grey and dry.

Overall: Well, since the demise of the Syrian latakia, I have been exploring blends that don't use that leaf to replace them. This is a blend that has done that. I wasn't too impressed with this blend when it came out, but after a year and a half of aging, the blend does show it's quality of leaf and blending skill. The perique in this blend is low (which I prefer), but it is felt and noticed from time to time. The nicotine is fairly low and there is a low chance of tongue bite with this blend due to its richness. Thankfully, I stowed away a few tins when it first came out and now I am going to purchase some more for future enjoyment. How does this blend compare to other English blends? It is much more refined than Dunhill London Mixture, It is less Latakia laden than Margate and hence, not as full. It is smoother than T-16, Solani Gold, or even Astley's 99. Bottomline: it is a very good English that I have been smoking pretty much daily.

Rating: 4.75 out of 5 Points

ferdoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferdoe (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mr. Pease describes Blackpoint as a luxurious blend with a piquant finish. The following notes prove that this is an understatement.

On lighting up the smoker is greeted with a nice blast of Latakia plus something else. That extra initial blast greeting the smoker is nothing other than the superb Oriental that this blend introduces and always returns to. Soon after lighting up the woodsiness of Blackpoint, transforms into a piquancy, or sourness, of fruit. But this is no ordinary fruit. While it has been described as stewed plums, it reminds me most of dark, sour cherries. I am not talking of the variety that McDonald's uses to stuff their pie with, nor am I talking of the Bing, Ranier or any other such variety. No, this is the taste of a noble, small, and almost black fruit grown and cherished in the Near East. If you have ever tried Mediterranean (Greek or Turkish) dark sour cherry preserves, then you know what I am talking about. These cherries are so sour that their taste is often enjoyed after they have been mixed with sugar and allowed to macerate. Only then does one get the perfect mixture of sour and sweet that coats the mouth. From all the fruit's qualities, this ability to coat the mouth is prized highest. Like fine wine it stays on the taste buds and tickles with alternate nuances of sweet and sour.

If this piquancy has been achieved by the addition of perique to the blend, I must say that the Louisiana leaf has been blended so masterfully that Blackpoint's transformation from spice and wood to fruit takes place seamlessly. If Blackpoint had nothing more to offer but this transformation it would still be one of the greatest pipe experiences available. But around halfway into the bowl, the smoker becomes aware that the smoking experience could never be this pleasant if the whole blend were not buttressed by some magnificent and complex Virginias which throughout have been providing sweetness in counterbalance to the piquancy of perique and the spice of the Latakia. Realization of the Virginias' contribution is similar to listening to one's favorite Jazz track and realizing, halfway through it, the piano has been sustaining and driving the quartet for a while.

As complex, and I assume robust, as these Virginias are they do not dominate the blend, because even at mid-bowl the Oriental continues to sing bright. Every puff whether sweet or sour, whether Virginia or perique finishes clean, with a hint of mint, because of the Oriental tobacco in this blend. I am sure that this is a very high quality Oriental, and in the hands of a lesser person it would have still made an enjoyable blend. But in the hands of Mr. Pease this Oriental tobacco creates history. With hints of mint, menthol, spice, and burning wood, it sings louder and louder as the bowl nears its end. The kind of tastes and smells usually associated with Christmas. As a matter of fact, instead of counting the days until Christmas, I think I will just smoke some Blackpoint and pretend it has arrived already.

This is truly a great blend and I cannot imagine how it will improve with ageing, but I am sure that it will.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

I liked this one better than Abingdon, if only because the perique and (I think) lower amount of latakia smoothed this out and made it a bit sweeter than Abingdon. I can't say I really noticed the perique that much. A good smoke. However, I liked Charing Cross even better.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this blend, it's one of the few JLP blends I've tried that didn't start and end with "Tabasco", only a little spice (tin had 6 months of cellering). It burns slow, Medium "N", no bite and complex. It starts with Latakia , then the Orientals come in with a very nice balance. I wouldn't say it's sweet, more creamy, salty, smokie and smooth and I can't find the Perique. My only issue is that it seems to burn a little damp,(even after drying) and gives me some gurgle, this tends to require relights during the second half of the bowl. I could find a place in my rotation but I'd have to do a comparison against McC's "Legends" or "Jubilee", that I think are very similar and are tough competition.I think this one is heavier with the Latakia and leaves a slight bitter smokieness after the smoke.

updated 11/11/2013- No Gurgle ? this is 4 stars all the way

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be the most perfectly balanced High English blend of all time. That is both its advantage and its drawback.

It's a wonderful complex of flavours that dance majestically around your mouth. It's slightly sweet, slightly tangy, slightly spicy, slightly smoky, slightly bright, slightly dark, slightly tart... it's got it all, with none of the flavours overwhelming the others. It's really quite perfect. This wonderful, velvety melange is the result of high quality leaves working together to form a tantalizing pattern of flavour.

So what's the drawback? That a pattern does not a painting make. I think it comes down to the difference between craft and art. I would be hard pressed to find a greater masterpiece of the craft of blending. However, just because something is magnificently crafted doesn't necessarily mean that it's a work of art. The perfect balance of the elements creates more of a wallpaper than a landscape, tantalizing the tastebuds with a complex flavour tesselation that becomes a pleasing pattern, rather than focusing and directing our attention across a sublime flavour landscape.

Or, said another way, we can wonder admiringly at a prodigy's dexterity even as we tactfully overlook a lack of soulfulness in the performance. A technically flawless execution is not necessarily an artistic one.

It feels ungenerous to give this three instead of four stars, but I think its great technical achievement in creating such a perfect balance obscures the fact that there's not that bit of magic to make it transcendent, which is what, to me, four stars signifies. Perfection, after all, is boring (so I hear).

Not that this blend is boring. It's perfectly delightful and always interesting. And it smokes dry and beautifully, in addition to its other assets. I cannot imagine that any lover of English blends wouldn't like and appreciate Blackpoint. It is a classic. It's just too homeostatic to be great.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Well, this is another fine blend from Mr. Pease. A medium English with complexity. I got this "classic collection" tobacco from Mike of classicpipes. What a display of fine Upshalls he has in a comforting atmosphere.

It is string cut blend and doesn't smell overpowering in the tin. It does have a fairly strong room aroma, with definite dark notes. I used the blend to break in a Taylor Made pipe from Mike. So it really took about a full ounce (10-11 bowl fulls) before I was truely getting the fine, complex flavors from this new blend. I have smoked the whole tin in it now. The tobacco tastes quite good even with the little aging it has.

There are several layers of natural flavor -- lightness from the virginias, a little spice from the orientals, varying dark notes from the balanced latakia-perique combo, and a slight sweet note. Not very strong for an English blend, but very interesting.

No bite, fairly dry, packs easy, and burns steady. Nothing to complain about if you want a change of pace English or to venture into English anew. (Now all may not appreciate the room aroma.) Complex enough to capture my attention (as Renaissance did), and I have another tin in the cellar. I'm sure some additional aging will enhance the properties I described, at least a smidgen. I will try more of this classic series.

A solid recommendation.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I sometimes find myself wondering whether I have a tin of the same tobacco that other reviewers have described. My tin of Blackpoint is a case in point. It had been “aged” in the tin for a little over a year and the tin aroma seemed OK, but it was dominated by Latakia; it was difficult to specifically identify the other components in the blend based purely on aroma. I have smoked this in five different pipes—3 briars and 2 meerschaums—and I have not detected much of a taste variance between pipes.

For my tastes this blend is badly out-of-balance—too much Latakia—and the Virginias in the blend are not sufficient to stand up to the Latakia; in fact, the Virginias seem unable to “cut through” the Latakia. I could certainly taste the Turkish to an extent and I could smell Turkish in the smoke, but I cannot bring myself to describe the impact of the Turkish as anything approaching “complex”. In short the Latakia “smothers” the other tobaccos in this blend. (I can perhaps detect the presence of Perique as only a slight tickle on the tongue, but I can’t honestly say that I taste it.)

I hesitate to suggest the possibility that this tin came from a bad blending batch. I don't like to imply a “quality control” issue, but the possibility exists. It happens--I have discovered a few tins in my time that were not consistent with other tins of the same blend. I mention this only because my experience with this blend is so very different than what is described by so many other reviewers. And it’s not that I dislike Latakia (because I don’t), but I don’t have much of an appreciation or tolerance for a REALLY heavy Latakia presence. This could be the case here; it’s simply too much Latakia for me.

Blackpoint gets a 1-star rating because I can’t bring myself to recommend it. And I am not so curious about it that I am willing to venture another try by purchasing another tin. I will re-visit this blend in about six months time and see whether I detect any changes.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

By the description of Blackpoint I predicted that it would be a blend that I would like and cellar. I prefer medium English blends that contain perique. Two favorites are C&D Plantation Evening and GLP Samarra, but I also like the full Balkan from this same series, Abingdon.

I think Blackpoint is more of a Balkan, as it lacks the sweetness from too little Virginia or too much oriental. The perique is almost unnoticeable and I quite often find the mustiness of one of the orientals to completely dominate and not in a pleasurable way.

No one flavor, whether it's the mustiness of the orientals, the sweetness of the Virginia or the smokiness of the latakia, can adequately describe Blackpoint. It is a complex blend that changes throughout the smoke. Unfortunately for me, the musty flavor is too strong and too frequent. Maybe a with a little tinkering this could be a bell ringer for me, as Pipestud would say. A little less oriental, a little more sweetness or ripe fruit and fig flavor from perique and I would be in Heaven.

This is not to say that you wouldn't enjoy it. Even with my specific complaints I appreciate what is happening here. The tin I'm working on is 3 years old and I am going to finish it and for the most part enjoy doing so. In the meantime my aforementioned favorites will be aging to perfection. All in all, another very fine blend from GLP that you should try.

Update: 03/09/11

Curse me for reviewing a blend before I finish the tin. I have grown to really like Blackpoint. The mustiness I was getting in spades has either calmed down or I have grown to really like it. Four stars all the way.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first so called balkan that I ever tried, and I must say I probably have the fondest memories of it of any blend I've smoked since. The first time I smoked this blend I remember I went for a walk around the block on a warm summer night a few years ago. I remember about half way through the bowl some bold spicy goodness came through and hit my tongue like a parade of ballet dancers. I think I actually stomped my feet and shouted with excitement at the amazing experience I was having. I recommend this blend to someone who is just moving into Latakia from Aromatic blends, it has a series of surprising and bold flavors that change as you smoke through the bowl. I picked up on various spices as well as that leathery, campfire taste, which comes through boldly and then subsides to let you experience what may have been vanilla and a bit of nutmeg, not saying these are flavors intentionally put there, but that is what I got out of it. I recommend that you smoke this blend in the evening or as a nightcap while sitting out on a cool or warm night, sometime when you are not in a rush and can give your devout attention to the smoke, smoke the whole bowl through and take note of the different flavors that you can pick up on. I call this a medley blend and in my opinion one of the best!

Heck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heck (5)

This tobacco is very agreeable. That is the first word that came to mind when I smoked it. I like it. It's smooth and balanced. Nothing loudly sticks out, but also nothing lacking in it's flavor for my taste. I had read that it's very weak, but it seems to have equivalent strength to the other English blends I've tried. As far as what kind of smoker I am goes: I like the English blends, and that is what I smoke. I have almost no experience with the flakes, and really found flavored black cavendish to be all smell and no taste.

TheBriarSire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBriarSire (11)

I am new to non-aromatics, my first introduction being Cornell & Diehl's wonderful Epiphany classified by many as an "American English." I suppose I would classify Blackpoint in the same way, but this is by no means a knock against it. First light warms my palate with citrus notes -- most likely the lemon virginia -- coupled with light latakia creaminess and rounded off with peppery perique. As it approaches the bottom of the bowl, the perique seems to manifest itself more strongly, which is especially more noted in the nose. It is not overpowering, however, and seems to be the perfect touch for that "piquant finish" Pease was going for. The complexity of this fine tobacco is a joy; I find myself searching through and through for the splashes of flavor each tobacco is working to produce, the sign of a truly luxurious blend. This blend reminds me of an exquisite tea, mellow and calming, perfect for an all day smoke. I am eager to try most everything Sir Pease has to offer, and I look forward to more masterfully crafted blends such as these.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I thoroughly enjoy this blend.

From the tin:

“Blackpoint is a luxurious blend of Red and Lemon Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, exotic Oriental tobaccos, and a perfect measure of Louisiana Perique for a lively, piquant finish.”

I find it to be big in flavor and possessive of a wonderful slipstream. With that lovely sour pull at the end of a mouthful of sweet virginia that perique provides, this blend really sees the spectrum of taste. The latakia is present, somehow combining with the perique in an engaging smoky prickle. The orientals are robust. This blend has a starchy sweetness that reminds me of roasted chestnuts...not exactly, but you get the idea.

My tin is just a few months old and smoking well. It has improved the longer the tin has been open. Seems it's ribbon, rough cut and a little flake, which loads easy and burns with affluence. Blackpoint is in the same vein as Artisan's Blend concerning ingredients, though Artisan's includes Syrian Latakia and Blackpoint – Cyprian. Dry smoking, this blend is sweet, smoky, spicy, and, well, pretty complete. Nicotine is perhaps a bit stronger than halfway on the scale. Enough to satisfy and not dizzify. Blackpoint is a very honed and focused blend. It's rounder than Westminster,and though perhaps not as “classic”, equally impressive.

Four and One Half Stars on a scale of Five.

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my nightly after work smoke to relax before bed. I absolutely love the smoky sweetness of this fantastic blend. The latakia is present at first and gradually fades away throughout the bowl as the perique gains strength...fantastic!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Another sublime Balkan from the Dark Lord. This one is sweeter than Charing Cross, and it's indeed more complex (not as much as Odyssey, IMHO), with a stronger Latakia component and a subtler Oriental.

At the end of the first tin I was going to give it 3 stars, but it's one of those blends that slowly grow on you.

Give it time and you'll be rewarded.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Strong

Tin: Apparently just an anomaly for this tin, several minutes were spent pulling the exceptionally varied-cut tobacco apart, from stems, to flake, to leaves. Smell is a strong musty, fermented fruit and smokey, largely due to the perique and Latakia, respectively. After the tin has been opened for a few days, the mellow scented VA/oriental aspect is noticeable. Colors from tan to brown to black, not remarkable, similar to other GLP Classic Collection blends. The moisture level seems just right, between supple and dry. Tin date: 010807, meaning Jan. 8, 2007.

Taste & Aroma: Initial--Is nothing like the tin aroma. Vaguely campfire, dark chocolate, with a mild pecan effect. Don't know if the significant pepper effect is due to the heat of the smoke or the perique. A VA/oriental component is all that keeps this from being harsh and burnt.

Bottom--More so like mild burnt pecans. The VA/oriental element gets drowned out.

No moisture problems at all. Multiple bowls leave my mouth, the next day, with a peppered feeling.

Nicotine: Medium to strong.

Room Note: Pleasant cigar, maybe acrid oriental. By the end of the tin, it was more like an awful, fruity cigar.

Overall: A blend for those who want a heavier type of smoke in the bass range. One of the few blends I might think of as complex. Not enough of a mellow VA blend for my tastes. I'd take the VA/oriental part and leave the rest. 2.5 stars.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

** UPDATE 10/11/07: I went out of town last weekend. While I was gone I left the tin lid open. Upon my return and need for my next smoke, I filled my pipe. Those three days did some good. Keep in mind "some" is the operative word here. The after-drying smoke did improve some things. I did not encounter strong tongue bite, the experience was more pleasurable. I wonder if my tongue tasted the lemon VAs - a good semi-sour taste that was pleasureable! This blend could go up one star. IMHO, this is a smoke that I would not turn down if it were offered to me.

By its tin description it seemed to have similar characteristics of a tobacco I really enjoy. That, coupled with the fact that I really enjoy Mr. Pease's Fillmore, led me to order this blend. The tobacco quality was very good. I questioned the tin aroma though. It seemed to be heavy. However, those in my presence when smoking Blackpoint preferred this to the other blend referred to earlier. My lovely wife (the nattering naybob of nicotine negativity) did not seem to complain about an odor when I came in the house.

My tin had arrived already aged three years. I tried this in all my presently small collection of pipes. None of them seemed to like it. The best results were in a thinnish-walled zulu. Even then there were only momentary glimpses of cool smoking. About midbowl it felt as if somebody slathered corrosive material on my tongue. The other portions of each smoke this blend seemed to burn hot. I really tried to give this blend a fair try and wanted the results to be good. However,I am going to have to side with flyboy and Noorrmm on this one. Perhaps Samarra will be more to my liking ...

baldboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baldboy (1)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

My brother had gone out of town and while in a tobacco shop he purchased tin of blackpoint for me.All I can say is whether you like any other Pease blend or not try this one, you won't be dissapointed. If you like Nightcap you'll like this, if you like Haddo's Delight, you'll like this.From opening the tin to the first light to the last puff of the bowl,this is definately a blend that is a pipe smokers dream.The Latakia makes its presence known from the start,not overpowering butdefinately there,then the orientals and perique come into play.One of the finest blends I have ever had,Defineately Top Notch.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

What I enjoy most about Blackpoint, which is quickly becoming a staple in my rotation, is that it begins as an English blend and then the perique kicks in and it seems to turn into a Va/perique towards the end of the bowl.

The orientals in Blackpoint are very similiar to those in Presbyterian Mixture, which leads me to believe that they are the same or similar variety.

All in all this is a rich, smooth and enjoyable smoke that I'll likely always have on hand.

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A fine English, with Perique mixed in. Emphasis shifts gradually from the leathery smoky Latakias of the English to the sweet raisiny Perique. By the second half of the bowl, the English flavors have moved to the background and you find yourself with an especially robust VaPer (with Orientals for complexity). Like most Pease blends it is interesting but not, in my opinion, a total success. The flavors never really marry: it?s as though you were smoking two pipes at once, not a single well balanced whole. (Every Pease blend I try only increases my admiration for Butera!). More charitably, don?t smoke this if you?re hungering for a good English blend. Smoke it if you like VaPers but want something stronger, with latakia to cut the sweetness and add oomph. It?s like Haddo?s English cousin, or Pelican plus Perique.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable

Rudyard Kipling famously said "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." Greg Pease seems to understand that pipe tobaccos are not cigars, and that women and pipe tobaccos are not at all at odds.

Blackpoint is the first of the G.L. Pease Classic Collection I smoked, and is thus the one by which I measure all the others. It is curious that I shall always associate Blackpoint with the English-American jazz singer Stacey Kent. They compliment one another perfectly. Just as Ms. Kent graces the high notes of her songs, so is Blackpoint perfectly on-key in higher ranges of the English tobacco genre.

This is not to say that this blend is in any way a lightweight; rather that it is exhilerating and full of bright surprise. The Latakia and Oriental presence is always there, but as undertone, bass notes in the lower register. The soul of this blend resides in the upper register, in the interplay of the Virginias and Perique.

This is one of the very few blends I have smoked in thirty-five years that offers a surprisingly different character in every puff--all of them delightful.

What more could one ask of a tobacco...or a woman?

Four out of four stars.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

Herewith my first review. As background, I'm 49 years old and have been smoking pipes since I was 18. Started first with a $2.50 Dr. Grabow and a plastic pouch of Captain Black. Not a whole lot of enjoyment there, however, when I was 20 a wise tobacconist by the name of Mr. Hellams, of Hellams Tobacco Shop in Monterey, California, introduced me to tinned English blends and my first "expensive" pipe - a $32 Butz Choquin. I never looked back - and that was in 1976. Thus far I have made my way through two 2 oz. tins of Blackpoint and have found it addictive. I smoke it exclusively in a large Cavicchi 1C pipe and only wish the pipe bowl was larger. On lighting up I can just sense the perique, which does not dominate the wonderfully full virginia leaf. The latakia gives the smoke a creamy rich flavor which builds and becomes very full in the last half of the bowl. Nicotine level is adequate (I crave the nicotine) and the bowl finishes off with the same full flavor as the beginning, just much more full. I smoke it down to nothing but gray ash, and the end always leaves me wanting more. I have yet to be disappointed in any GLP blends and lately have been smoking Blackpoint and GLP Laurel Heights to the exclusion of just about anything else (well, I do load up quite often with S. Gawith's "Perfection" quite often, but only in the mornings). I highly recommend Blackpoint.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Ribbon cut, average width, multi colored.

Aroma: An English blend for sure, predominantly Virginia, with some Latakia, My nose did not get any hint of Oriental or Perique. Nothing special here.

Packing: Packs easily into any size or shape bowl.

Lighting: Just the usual two matches, most of the time. Sometimes, I needed three to get it going properly.

Initial flavor: Huh? Where?s the beef? Just a sharp, sour taste, not at all like anything else in the series.

Mid-bowl: I get the Virginias and the Latakia, but there is no harmony. I expected a heavier version of Piccadilly, but that is smoother and softer. Still a bit harsh, causing me to produce more saliva, hence gurgling. That?s unusual for me.

Finish: Hard to keep it lit down to the bottom, gets unpleasant too.

Summary: For me, it completely misses on all counts. I don?t plan to cellar any to see how it ages, I don?t care.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Blackpoint is a genuine treasure of a blend, a mixture of quality and distinction. It is a medium English blend, in which the real treat (for me) was the interaction of the Virginias, latakia, and perique. There is a deep, rich (not sweet) fruit aspect lent by the perfect application of perique, and it is flavorful, consistent, and delicious from the first puff to the last.

This is a fine an English as you will find on the market today.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I rate this a medium to full taste because it is an "English style" blend. This is one of the best of the type. Very good flavor, no unusual odors or aftertastes. Very smokable right from the can, no processing required. I like it better than "965". Not as strong either. The only downside to this blend is the small amount I bought. I wish I had at least 6 oz. or more to really evaluate this fine tobacco! Update: In my opinion, most of G.L. Pease product is in a level above every other pipe tobacco available. Especially when considering how good it is at the moment of purchase. We need a new category (5 stars?) in order to properly review Pease product. My thoughts are: "How can every person on this planet not smoke a pipe?" after trying this and other G.L. Pease offerings.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

Another absolutely stellar blend from Mr. Pease! He just has a way with creating latakia blends in which the latakia is not in your face, but rather dances with the Orientals, Virginias and, in this case, Perique as well. As always, the lighting characteristics are top shelf, although, also as usual for Pease blends, it requires a relight now and again. Small price to pay . . .

This is somewhat milder than Pease's other English blends, but the mildness does not at all detract from its complexity and very interesting character. Superb!

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)

Latakia sweet Latakia.This might be the perfect pipe tobacco!It's got it all,superb tin aroma and rich full flavor what else could you ask for.This has become my favorite post 5:00 PM It also has the perfect perique finish Let's face it Mr.Pease is a modern master blender.You'll seldom go wrong with a purchase of one of his blends...preppypipe

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

The tin say's it all, a truly unique smoking experience. I have found that after smoking this blend in numerous pipes that the blending of the varying Orientals, with the Latakia is first rate. A melange of taste imparts itself onto the smoker, whilst pondering the nuances of the tobacco. This blend has many high notes, and not really any low notes, that I can detect, they just seem to meld together, creating a symphony of flavors. The only suspecting down side would be the absence of a powerfull nicotine presence, which is not missed, since the bouquet is without equal. As with most of GLP's tobacco's, this too will need air, but after the charring light and tamper, you should be ready to go. Burns to a light grey ash, with no dottle. I'm not sure if this tobacco blend is facsimile of another blend or not, but Greg say's it pays homage, so be it!

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

Blackpoint is probably Greg's replacement for Renaissance now that the Syrian latakia needed for Renaissance is no longer available. There are distinct similarities, however, my preference is for Renaissance. Blackpoint is typical GLP in the cut and moisture level, however, each of the times I have smoked Blackpoint, I have had trouble keeping it lit. Maybe it will burn a little better when dried a little.

Like Renaissance, Blackpoint is quite complex. In looking at the various elements in this blend, it is obvious that there are quite a few tobaccos blended in. There are distinct fruity overtones, with the latakia being dominant, but not overwhelming.

Blackpoint is another winner for Greg.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)

This reminds me of Chelsea Morning but a bit more Lat heavy. Very pleasant and easy to smoke. Update: Really lovin this stuff. A great English. Dont really taste the Perique at all though. This is not at all a Vaper as it has way to much Lat to be categorized as such. If you like English blends you will love this.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a refined and lively Va/Per blend. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality evening smoke with perique. It makes my top 5 for Pease mixtures and certainly is worthy of accolades.

Update 11/16/12: I purchased a tin of this dated 3/14/2003. At over nine years old, it was to die for. To steal a phrase from a regular on the Brothers of Briar forum, it's like "pure nectar after five years". I couldn't have said it better. Absolutely superb!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not my cup of tea, this is good tobacco for sure but too mild and one dimensional for me. I like my English/ Balkan mixtures full of flavors and with a good dose of strength as well, Blackpoint has neither. Smells great in the tin, similar to Frog Morton, once lit it tastes of smoky peat and leather, the taste does not change or get stronger as the bowl is smoked down.

Charing Cross is one of my always on hand blends, it is tasty, complex and full in body. Blackpoint fails to live up to the high standard set by C.C.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I must say this is probably my favorite of the Classic Collection. I ordered 6 tins of this after the first to cellar. It didn't stay there long.

This smoke is chewy, rich and creamy. Very complex, this demands your attention. Perfect for an evening of reflection, I enjoy it after a hard day bird hunting in the uplands.

Pairs well with an Islay Scotch, but it must be a heavy peat scotch to hold up to Blackpoint. Another masterpiece from Greg.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Blackpoint is a blend from GLPease's Classic Collection of tobaccos. It is a nice mixture of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian latakia, Orientals, and perique. As with other blends in this collection, this has a beautiful, mottled appearance of golds, browns, and black, with a sweet, musty aroma, and is presented at what I consider to be an ideal moisture level. The charring light shows the promise of the blend, being a mix of the sweetness of the Virginias, the smokiness of the latakia, and the wonderful, fruity and musty taste of the fine Orientals. The blend lights easily, and remains lit with little effort. This flavor combination continues once the bowl is lit, with the latakia a strong presence but none of the tastes dominating. The minimal amount of perique used adds a hint of both pepper and raisins. Deeper into the smoke, the flavor remains balanced and yet mixed and complex. The smoothness of the smoke is delightful. It is sweet, smoky, musty, slightly peppery, and contains nuances of stewed fruit baking in pastry. No one tobacco overpowered any other, so well-balanced a blend is this. Though I find, at times, that I enjoy tobacco flavor variations through the bowl, I found the consistency of Blackpoint to create an exceptional experience. But saying that, I still was aware, deeper into the smoke, that I was aware of different constituents at different times. Toward the end of the bowl I thought of the Virginias, and how their sweetness was never lost. The Orietals, too, create a music of their own by the end of the smoke, being spicy, woodsy, and musty all at the same time. Blackpoint is another excellent contribution to pipe smokers from the Dark Lord. I can imagine enjoying a wonderful steak dinner and then loading a bowl of Blackpoint to finish off a relaxing Fall evening.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm new this style of tobacco, so my notes are based upon inexperience.

A distinct earthy aroma. Not sweet, but not offensive. It reminded me of what my father smoked when I was very young.

Mild tasting in comparison to the aroma, but still rich without being too full.

Room note is difficult for me to categorize as I live alone and no one else is here to comment. FOr me, it is tolerable. Not a sweet aromatic.

I am still getting used to this blend...Slowly. I mixed some with an aromatic and I kind of like that.

UPDATE:

After a couple of years, this has become my favorite. Mild, yet complex flavoring. Very enjoyable.

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)

Very nice sweetness in this blend..almost tangy sweet but not like a tangy virginia. Moments of toastiness as well. Really a superb english that has grown on me quite a bit since I first opened the tin. It does have sort of a winey taste to it as KahveDelisi mentioned. This blend provides a lot of flavor without being the least bit harsh all the while reeking of complexity. Truly enjoyable. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

First impressions: I think the description for Charing Cross gives the exact right impression when it comes to Blackpoint. Blackpoint is somewhat lighter, and sweeter, than Charing Cross. It's firmly in the medium Balkan range. As such, it is a bit more nuanced than Charing Cross, but that said, my initial impression of Blackpoint is that I don't like it as much as Charing Cross, as it simply does not have as much flavor. That said, preferring one to another is simply a matter of taste, and I could imagine my opinions changing depending on my experiences over time. Certainly I think Blackpoint would be a superior all day smoke, where Charing Cross would overwhelm the taste buds after a couple of bowls.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

This one reminds me single origin yemen mattari coffee. well blanced but still complex. spicy but sweet at the same time, kinda winey all the way and through the last third you get sugary --grape like-- sweetness on the tongue. the only down part; it is expensive (at least where I live)

If I had easy acces I would stock this along with yemen mattari.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Any blend with latakia and perique together would make me want to compare with Dunhill Nightcap. I like this much better.

If you like a heavy or rich blend with complex flavors which are both sweet and smoky, then here you have it. It is not harsh, but very smooth and rich.

This is a modern masterpiece which deserves a place amongst the classic blends. Complex and rich, it is a real treat like a 20 year old malt whisky.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

The Blackpoint is the first L blend I have ever tried. I chose this blend because of the complexity of the ingredients and I assumed the more complex the better, just as my first scotch whiskey was a complex blended. By smoking it, each sip I felt a little spicy and ... empty -- the taste just faded before I would like to expect something more. I finished my tin in 2 months and I would say "goodbye" to this blend, not wish to order any more of it.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A deep, mellow, huge sweetness in a very complex Em. Not very good burning qualities.

ChappistMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChappistMonk (7)

Having finally located a Europe-based supplier of these tobaccos (thanks to a very prompt email response from Mr Pease himself) I have ordered four different tobaccos as a starting point.

Right. Let me just begin by saying that this tobacco is fantastic.

There is just enough moisture to enable it to pack well, and it burns evenly. Flavour-wise it's just astonishing. The Latakia and Virginias are the first to be noticed, with the orientals and Perique making the presence increasingly known from about a quarter of the way down the bowl. Dark chocolate, leather, pepper, incense, a very slight dried-fruit sweetness, all these and more; it's a very layered smoke, which I like as it prevents me getting jaded before the bowl is finished.

For me this is an evening tobacco as it would be a little heavy for daytime smoking, but that's personal preference and should not be considered to detract from my view that this is one of those tobaccos where reaching the end of the bowl causes genuine regret. I cannot recommend it too highly and would give it five stars if the option existed.

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Blackpoint is a very interesting blend. Looking for something a bit lighter than Old Ironsides this one fits the bill nicely. It provides the Latakia taste I like, but is more complex with orientals, Va. and Perique to round things out a bit.

I dont tolerate nicotine very well so this one is right up my alley in that it has a full taste, but relatively low nicotine punch. I find this to be in the mid range as for as strength of taste is concerned. I dont think that there are any toppings here, but I do indeed taste the figs and prunes that the tin describes.

The room note is pleasant with a slight autumn fireplace ambiance. The taste, as I mentioned is very pleasant and satisfying with orientals and latakia being predominent with perique bringing up the rear.

This is obviously a very high quality blend as are all of Mr. Pease's offerings. I will keep this in my permanent rotation especially for afternoon and evening enjoyment. Highly recommend.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a bit of a lighter English that I expected, but a nice change of pace. The Latakia is great and the Perique is well balanced. I found this blend to be appreciated best in a meerschaum because it let the subtle textures come out the best. The exotic Oriental tobacco's were not in the forefront, but in the background and the VA tobacco seems to carry the most weight in the blend. I find this blend best for experienced smokers who know what they are looking for, it just may be to subtle for fast puffers or the inexperienced. In a world where the most popular blends are the ones that push the flavor envelope it is nice to smoke one that still knows knows how to tread lightly.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

The tin aroma of this slightly chunky medium ribbon is heavy on the orientals and latakia with a slight perique tang.

The flavor is centers on the turkish and latakia though neither dominate, since the perique and virginas add plenty of variance and a light sweetness. It is very complex.

Blackpoint is a textured balkan that is not unduly tilted towards any one flavor.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (22)

Greg Pease has single-handedly altered my perceptions of latakia and English or Balkan pipe tobaccos so I guess this review is as subjective & biased as you get.

Spicy. Peppery. Citrus flavours. A touch of latakia leather and wood. In short, this is a wonderful blend that I could happily smoke constantly were it not for the rest of his offerings.

I am only ten or twelve bowls into my first exploratory 2oz purchase, but it is already a firm favourite. It is complex, tasty and extremely easy to smoke, requiring all my attention due to its moreish and attractive qualities.

Please Mr Pease, do not allow anything to dissuade you from continuing to blend this glorious substance!

Ewoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ewoth (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I do enjoy this as a good "daytime" smoke, a slightly creamy taste with a fresh scent(that for some reason reminds me of soap!?Maybe I'm just wierd?) but that's a good thing, not so smokey so that the scent won't be appreciated by others, just a fine balance, I reccomend this blend to all.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Blackpoint...Where to start? During initial roll seemed to be shakey but,in all normal. After departure, all the elements that make up this blend didnot function as a crew, and in turn, provided a turbulent flight. No tobacco, whether the Va`s or orientals, took control! As much as a the latakia tried, it was too passive to provide any balance. Glad to be back on the ground as I thought we didn`t have much altitude during the trip. A light balkan that is most dissapponting. Maybe age will tell, at 6 mos, maybe too young.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Pipestud said most of what I wanted to say, but I will add the following.

I have difficulty keeping this lit, which begins at the start. The cut is beautiful, being short, medium-wide ribbons, but it does take some practice packing your pipe with it.

The initial smoothness, natural sweetness, and vibrancy diminishes in the last two-thirds of the bowl into some bitterness and sour notes.

Update: February 2004- Sad to say I am giving up on this blend. The Orientals are just too sharp and biting for my tastes. I like what approaches creaminess from the latakia leaf, but it falls short of my expectations. It just could not perform for me at any moisture level.

Update: September 2006- I just couldn't help giving this another try. Time was no friend. My wife, who likes the aroma of English blends generally, said that Blackpoint burning smells like the old, dirty bars we've errantly entered.

stoic066 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoic066 (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I returned to this blend and Pease tobaccos after long break during which I experimented with different less known tobaccos including so called cigar leaf tobaccos. My sample was aged almost two years.

Upon openning the smell was that of fermented fruit. Not unpleasent but slightly overwheming. Appearance is typical of English blend with different colors. Latakia definitely present but not overwhelming. Packing was very easy and I tend to use large pipes for most of my tobaccos.

Lighting was easy with average two matches and I had no problems with keeping it lit as long as I remember to puff on it regularly.

Taste fairly compex and tobacco quality is excellent. Latakia is easily noticable but not overwheming which I like. Sweatness of quality virginia makes it more enjoyable but there was no tongue burning at all. Blackpoint burns into esthetically pleasing grayish ash. This blend is not to die for but nice change of pace. Recommended.

Jason S. Rundle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason S. Rundle (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I've had this blend cellaring in a glass jar for almost a year. I recieved it w/ an 8 blend sample pack directly from Cornell & Diehl http://www.cornellanddiehl.com

Initial lighting was hot, and airy, very unpleasant. The Virginias are evident, and dominate the blend, to much in my opinion, but with a pleasant earthy tone. The smoky Cyprian Latakia doesn't make a big enough statement. I really enjoyed the Perique pepper flavor, when I was able to detect it. As I am breaking in a brand new Ser Jacopo Delecta L1 bent author, that I just aquired yesterday from an Italian pipe dealer in an auction I won on EBay I am smoking it very slowly. I found I had more re-lights then were common, but I don't fault the pipe weed for that, but my own care. An interesting tobacco, very complex, difficult to understand w/ the first bowl.

My initial impression(s) is not favorable, however, I admit as I am breaking in a new pipe, and do not believe one bowl is adaquate to praise or discard a blend I will continue to sample and will update later.

Thanks,

Jason S. Rundle

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A good tobacco, very complex, difficult to understand at the first bowl. Actually it took me a lot to tame this beast and the big changes throughout the bowl haven't helped. To me this is Virginia dominated, with latakia and perique in the background, coming out stronger in the last third of the bowl. Orientals are present but jump in and out stronger at times, lighter at other times. It's a fine tasting blend but a bit too confusing for my raw palate, and it's a bit too light too, as far as nicotine content.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I can't believe that I haven't weighed in on this one yet! Well, this is a classy blend. It's rich and round. The fine ingredients make for a pleasant smoke, and there's enough body to hold my interest. Easy pack, easy burn, and minimal harshness upon relight later in the day.

Of interest: The complexity within stays curled up tightly in a ball for little while, and then all of a sudden...

WHAM!

Blackpoint uncurls in a burst of flavor that makes you want to pack a second bowl of it to have on hand as soon as the bowl you're working on is ash. I love the English/Balkan/Perique hybrids like this, and it's no surprise that Pease delivers the goods.

This is good stuff, to be sure. Blackpoint may never reach the permanent rotation, of which Abingdon is a part, but it will be cellared. No doubt about that.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)

After putting this in a ball jar for a couple of months,i now realize just how complex and flavorfull this blend really is. The virginia's need some age to really get sweet as the tin was only a week old when i purchased it based on the date stamped on the tin.. I have a couple of tins in my basement and it gets much better age so i am upgrading my review. Good stuff!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hate the narrow tins.....

This blend has nothing but quality leaf. It's balace rivals Buffleheads Pintail, although it's a medium but rich flavored smoke. With just a hint of sweetness, the VA, perique and Latakia all have a presence and the complexity in flavor is top shelf. Behaved well for me in a variety of pipe shapes and bowl sizes.

This is a medium english, far from a full but its complexity of flavor and balance make it a keeper. While I keep a tin on hand and smoke this ocassionally, it just not a hefty enough taste for me to smoke everyday. If your looking for a lighter side of medium english, this one fits the bill.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Very fruity smelling in the tin, thanks to the Perique. It almost reminds of the great Sobranie 759. Rich and intense, but not at the beginning of the bowl. Depending upon the pipe, it can seem good but nothing special (and lacking some Virginia sweetness), or great (and sweet tasting). A good tobacco anyway. It's a bit tricky to pack: too much dust, which might clog the airhole: moisture level was a bit higher than usual for GLPease tobaccos. When packed correctly in a pipe of the right shape it's a joy, otherwise it can be a bit troublesome. Definitely one of the best GLPease efforts: rich and full of nuances.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Charing Cross lite? Not exactly, but another wonderful blend from il capo di tutti capi.

Math has Leonard Euler, and we have G.L. Pease.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Blackpoint is the final stop on the GLP highway for me. Why? Because the road doesn?t go any further. Not until Greg Pease comes up with another blend, that is!

Blackpoint is a beautiful balance of Latakia and Oriental with a firm base of Virginia. The Perique is ever-present, lurking in the background, never becoming obtrusive. The Oriental melds well with the subtle sweetness of the Va, only becoming assertive and mildly sharp on occasion. Latakia provides depth, and like the Perique it never comes to the forefront.

Blackpoint is a good choice if you?re looking for something a bit on the lighter side, yet still full with respect to complexity.

Nicely balanced flavor, beautiful to look at, smooth and cool smoke ? what more could you ask for? Another winner from Greg Pease.

Mild None Detected Medium Strong

Although I typically smoke VA or VA/Perique flakes, I thought a trip into the English via the renowned GL Pease might be rewarding. I was no more successful with this trip than my prior ventures even though this is a comparatively mild English. This is not the fault of the tobacco but rather my personal tastes. In addition, I received many complaints on both the tin and room aroma even from cigarette smokers. Although not so surprising due to the Latakia, Oriental and Perique content, these reactions must be considered. The various colors in the tin indicate the complex and varied tobaccos that are present. Packing and lighting were easy and an even burn rate resulted. This blend burned hotter and faster than my unrubbed out flakes but did not even hint of bite. If you enjoy English blends this might be a good one for you but I'm back to my favored VAs.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe the latest line of tobaccos by this blender were created for those wanting lighter fare. Blackpoint will fill the bill.

This weed is lightly flavorful. The Virginia carries the load, but Latakia is noticed by the smoker as is Perique. The latter imbedded deeply in the background until the final 3rd of the bowl.

I have come to the reluctant conclussion that this is not my cup of tea. Just not enough flavor or nicotine content to keep this puffer pacified.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a remarkably mild blend. Nice flavor with nothing dominating the mixture. The Perique stays well in the backgound, as does the Latakia to my taste.

Light colors dominate the mixture in the can with a little dark tobacco thrown in.

A very enjoyable smoke with no bite.