Using the same blend as Kendal Cream Flake, we have developed this broad cut mixture for the smoker who enjoys a mild and creamy pipeful. Experience the particularly pleasing room-aroma.

Notes: This selection of blended burley and Virginias offers a mild and creamy smoke from a medium density flake. With an added essence, the pipe smoker who derives pleasure from an easy to rub out flake will certainly enjoy Samuel Gawith's Kendal Cream Flake.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging50 grams tin, bulk
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As this is a ready rubbed version of Kendall Cream Deluxe Flake, much of this review is the same, though I note a few differences, particularly that the Flake is stronger in flavor and strength than this version. The boldly earthy, dark fruit and citrusy, woody Virginias also sport a touch of fermentation, spice and floralness. The very nutty, earthy, toasty, lightly molasses sweet burley plays a support role. There is a very mild essence of Lakeland and geranium as well, which add a floral, almost perfume quality. I’m not sure about the other toppings, but one appears to be tonquin, and something with an alcohol base (whisky?). The toppings tone down the tobaccos without drowning out their inherent strength, though slightly less so in this production. The strength is mild to medium while the taste level borders on medium.The nic-hit is about the same as it is in the Flake version. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does have hint of a rough edge here and there. Burns cool, clean at slightly less than a moderate pace with a fairly creamy smooth, very consistent flavor all the way to the finish. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. Has a pleasant, lingering after taste. Not an all day smoke, but it's closer to it than the Flake version.

Not as deep in flavor as the flake version but still a terrific change of pace smoke for me, Kendal Cream Mixture does fill the bill for those who enjoy Lakeland style tobaccos but have trouble handling the stronger blends.

If a true aromatic presentation is what you are looking for then this will not fill the bill. The Chocolate/Cocoa notes are deep in the background and disappear once the first half bowl is consumed. The strength picks up at mid-bowl and the sweetness also fades a bit. Truly a nice, light Lakeland.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

After reading much about GH blends I stumbled upon the Sam G, Kendal Cream tin. The tin aroma was not real exciting and 2/3'rds of the way through the first bowl I must say that its not as bad as I thought it would be. Thick taste, nice smoke and just a bit of a bite to the tongue. May let the next bowl air a while before smoking. No real specific's to this one for me. Just a good solid medium bodied smoke. I will say that when I set my pipe down for a bit of a break, I just wanted to pick it up again... Cant wait to smoke another bowl later tonight.

EDIT: half way through the tin and its turned into a full body great smoke. This is a blend that I look forward to smoking after dinner most days. Slow to burn and heavy near the end. What a great no frills smoke.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been quite curious about the so called Lakeland tobaccos offered by Samuel Gawith, and read on numerous interweb pipe forums that Kendall Cream Flake was amongst the best of the lot. I wound up accidentally picking up Kendall Cream Mixture and while I was initially a little bit disappointed in the mistake, once I popped open the tin and saw & smelled this tobacco, I changed my mind almost instantaneously.

Being a lover of Balkan/English and VA/Perique blends and, in general, a loather of aromatics I was a little anxious about the blend. My experiences with aromatics has generally been not so great (that is, if I'm smkoing them, but I do LOVE to be around others smoking them). I selected a tiny Peterson 317 System pipe from which I often smoke Lane's HGL, which is one of the few aromatics I can tolerate.

It took me a few puffs to really form an opinion and after finishing the tin, I found myself with a desire for more. Perhaps I will try the flake version eventually, but the ready rubbed mixture is excellent in & of itself.

Though I am not regularly a cigar smoker -- one or two a year at best -- there's something in the flavor, tin aroma, room note and texture of the smoke, if you will, that reminds me of a good mild cigar. This is perhaps the only blend where I truly sensed the nutty burley coming through -- mostly near the bottom of the bowl.

This one burns cool and clean. Perfect with a good beer and a game of backgammon with the Mrs..

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Methinks this is not merely the Flake version haphazardly chopped apart and placed in a can. None of the strength or complexity that is present in the latter shows up. I found a rough mix of burley and virginia, doused in an unidentifiable scent. That being said, the smoke is passable, for someone who ventures into the land of heavily cased Lakeland tobaccos. A friend of mine smokes this almost exclusively and I consider him a sensible fellow...I'll enjoy the Flake.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Being a regular flake smoker, I ordered this tin in error instead of Kendal Cream Flake. This is not a ready rubbed tobacco as indicated above but rather a wide ribbon cut of very moist light brown VAs and Burleys. Perhaps I already had two strikes since I also don't prefer aromatics. I had great difficulty obtaining uniform packing due the the cut and moisture of the tobacco. If packed too hard, the air hole became clogged or the draw difficult to impossible. If too loose, the tobacco burned unevenly and very quickly compared to my flakes. Without these problems, a creamy enjoyable taste resulted but it's just not worth the aggravation. Realize that this is a heavily but distinctly flavored blend without much hint of tobacco flavor. Only aromatic fanciers might enjoy this one. I hope to get better results from the Flake version.