This blend is based on a larger amount of the Orient, which is known for its delicious soft and yet aromatic and spicy flavors. A little smoky Latakia and a pinch of Black Cavendish and Virginia perfecting the medium-strong blend harmoniously. Originally this was a "private blend" supplied to a frequent customer - Colonel Tree.

BrandRobert Lewis
Taste

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been humming and harring for a while as to whether I should try this. Never having had a Robert Lewis before it was somewhat of an unknown quantity. On my last internet order, though, I was at a bit of loss as to what Lat to get and it seemed an apt time to take the plunge.

The tin aroma is one of mild creosote, I'm sure that's a description I've used before and probably recently too, it's still a good one. The cut, though, is more of a ribbon than broken flake, but no matter. Packing and lighting is easy, not a lot of moisture in this one. The flavour was a pleasant surprise just enough latakia to satisfy but not overwhelm but there's also a hint of something else, something a little sweeter and maybe with a hint of lemon, might well be the influence of the cavendish kicking in. A most delightful flavour and thoroughly enjoyable and continues to the end of the bowl.

In conclusion, a cracking smoke that provides a very pleasant change from most lats by the addition of that sweet lemony taste. The description calls it "aromatic and spicy" and that suits it perfectly. Comparisons to Squadron Leader? Not wholly fair to either, and yet not completely unfair either. SL is a bit stronger on the lat and nicely varies between the lat, turkish and virginia and is probably the more complex of the two. This tones the lat down and nicely introduces the sweetness without spoiling either. Yet both promise a good lat flavour and a bit more and deliver on both. I'm happy to smoke both regularly.

There are so many choices here in the US when it comes to English blends that a blend must really stand out to get my attention, especially at a higher price point than most other blends. Tree Mixture did just that! This review is based on three tins of this fine weed with the oldest tin having three years of age on it. I will steal a couple of comments from other reviewers and say that this blend is both rich and balanced. I didn't miss the Oriental component at all as the Latakia is proportioned just right for me and the Virginia's are of high quality and offer a bit of sweetness. I think any fan of Dunhill tobacco's or Lancer Slices will find this blend to their liking. Tree Mixture's flavor doesn't vary a whole lot throughout the bowl and I don't find TM to be very complex either. Sometimes being really good at one thing is simply enough. Highly Recommended.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The initial tin note reminds me of Dunhill's Royal Yacht but not the flavor. The flavor starts with more of a Dunhill EMP ( Oriental Forward) but with a noticeable Latakia presence( Nightcap?). ( I agree with reviewer "Steel Cowboy" in that this blend reminds me of something from the Dunhill line). As I got further down the bowl the Orientals faded , latakia remained and a darker stronger burley like ( black Cavendish ?) base made itself known, almost chocolate like. This was never bitter, had some sweetness, never bit, and provided ample "N".

I especially have to agree with reviewer "Gentleman Zombie 2014-02-02" who said this blend was a "chameleon", changing form between bowls. I found the same thing, and I believe it's the unpredictable behavior of the "Black Cavendish"

The one thing I didn't get with this blend was the "Wow" factor, it's nice, but not better than other English/ Balkan blends and for the extra money, " What do they think, money grows on Trees?" .

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: Dunhill ( EMP, Nightcap ???).

Hitchhiker42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hitchhiker42 (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This blend was pleasant and smoked cool. It reminded me of Squadron Leader with a more nutty flavor and without the floral notes. Upon lighting there is a slight walnut quality, but this goes away mid-bowl. There is no room note, and the aftertaste is kind of a bright citrus that you get from Virginias. The Tree Mixture was medium-strong in nicotine, close to that blast you get from Dunhill Nightcap, but turned down a notch. The tobacco was moist out of the tin and leaves a black, somewhat tarry perspiration inside the pipe. This is most noticeable on my French pipes which have an aluminum insert. This stem insert has a system of groves to channel the smoke and the tar buildup is quite noticeable on this after smoking. I only purchased one tin of Tree Mixture so far, and this may be a peculiarity of my batch, but when you get to the bottom of the bowl there is an ammonia smell. After smoking this in four different pipes, I believe this is a peculiarity of the tobacco and not a ghosting from the pipe. I have read the ammonia smell can occur when Latakia is rushed through the fermentation process so unfortunately, someone at Robert Lewis is cutting corners. I will probably not purchase this again and will go back to Squadron Leader, which I find more flavorful and a bit more "interesting" than Tree Mixture.

Pipe Used: Jeantet, Hardcastle, Tudor, Bruyere estate pipe

Purchased From: James Fox, Dublin

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

This blend just didn't do it for me. Seemed to be a chameleon. One bowl would be pretty good, the next not so much. It would sometimes turn on me during the same bowl, changing back and forth from good to bad. I have no idea why. Strangest thing I've ever encountered. I will say though that when it's good it's pretty dang good. Evidently this blend has been trying to tell me something. Something like, "Leave me alone. I'm not for you." I think I'll take it's advice.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)

Tree mixture is an enjoyable med-heavy English. The smell from the tin (a new tin) was of heavy latikia. The flavor was from the first match. A well mannered tobacco. Easy light - stays lit. No bite, or roughness. Nothing bitter about the smoke. Give it a little time in the air before packing. I hold great stock in a blend that you can enjoy without a lot of fuss. Robert Lewis Tree is such a blend. The more of it I smoke the more I like it. Burns to a white/grey ash, not a lot of bowl cling - clean. Dry as a bone in a straight Dunhill. I would put this blend somewhere between Black Mallory and Ashton's Artisan blend in taste, flavor builds in the last 1/2 of the bowl wonderfully. I'm sure it would celler - mine won't last that long - its good rignt now! Is it a sleeper blend - I don't think its the blend that's asleep. I cannot for the life of me understand why folks put up with blends that are NOT READY for release, young, harsh, flavor of the month junk. This blend is there - here - right now. You need not wonder what it will taste like in 2 years. Smoke it now! Enjoy it today. I'm not real crazy about the idea of some other SOB enjoying my aged tins after I'm gone. Life is too short. I'm taking mine with me! Balkan Sobranie? I don't care. Balkan Sobranie is gone. This blend is in the here-and-now, and ready to smoke. If Steve Monjure is the one bringing the Robert Lewis mixtures in - God bless him. Maybe he will run for office - he shows good judgement. To Col. Tree -- Vive la Mort! Vive la Guerre! Vive le Sacré Mercenaire!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I never thought I would say this but this may be a clone of Balkan Sobranie!!! I smoked at least a bowl full of Balkan Sobranie for 25 years and have paid as much as $200.00, for a tin of Balkan Sobranie. I can tell you I will never pay that much for Balkan Sobranie again as Robert Lewis Tree Mixture is just as good and made with higher quality leaf. Thank God for Tree Mixture and thank God for Monjure International for bringing it to the States. If you get a chance try a tin and then, all my Balkan Sobranie brothers, send Steve Monjure an email (pipadolce@aol.com) personally thanking him for bringing us back to the Promise Land, back to the land of Milk & Honey. After all, the tin may say Robert Lewis Tree Mixture but the heart and soul of Balkan Sobranie beats within.

This is a rather remarkable blend that is very satisfying.

The combination of flavors is just..... different somehow. I can see where this would be a nice change of pace for lovers of both Oriental and Latakia blends. My experience with Tree Mixture was exceptional and I really appreciated the firm dose of strength.

Pre Republic Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pre Republic Peterson (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Was worried to open my latest tobacco, as the last brand I smoked was horrid, so looked through the collection and thought try the Tree.

On opening looks great, very moist and bouncy reminds me of christmas cake mixture. Very enticing. Lots of Cavendish 70%+, rest Virginia.

Awesome aroma from open can, put in my pipe immediately (after briefly drying). I got botanicals like in Gin, and of course nice spicy Christmas flavors. Smokes good, burns right down to dottle. Fairly cool smoking too.

First outing with Robert Lewis, not disappointed at all.

Highly recommended… Thanks Robert Lewis and Colonel Tree.

Pipe Used: Ferndown Reo Lovat

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Boswell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswell (7)

I've been smoking this a reasonable amount recently, and find myself reaching for it in preference to the current versions of Dunhill's 965 and London Mixture.

I'd agree with Il Commissario that this can be a little inconsistent, but it's a very enjoyable smoke, with a nice balance of spiciness, smokiness, and a slightly sweet, at times chocolately, base.

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)

The tobacco seems to be roughly equal mixture of dark (mainly Latakia), brown (orientals) and golden (Virginia) ribbon. The tin note is tangy and earthy with a strong smoked-wood smell backed by a distinct dried apricot-like sweetness.

The tobacco smokes slowly and cool throughout the bowl, and often with very few relights. The Latakia is upfront but is mellowed by a fragrant, slightly floral sweetness. Not particularly peppery or smoky, it is sour to tangy in character. Mid-bowl the background sweetness becomes more rich and chocolate-like and makes a very pleasurable smoke at times. But it can be quite temperamental, alternating from sweet and fragrant to sour and tangy, and not particularly smooth. Compared to other Latakia-blends, I feel this is a little unbalanced and not quite 4 stars.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

Col. Tree, I salute you! I have read where many people think that this is very close to Balkan Sobranie, I would say that is half true, I think Balkan Sobranie is a bit stronger in flavor and nicotine. With that being out of the way, this is one fine tobacco blend. The tin note is of very strong Latakia. There is also whispers of Virginia and burly in the tin. The tobacco once dried smokes like a dream and leaves your favorite pipe abnormally clean. The taste is of strong Latakia, with slightly sweet Virginia. There is also a hint of nutty burly that seems to get stronger towards the bottom of the bowl. I think that is a very unappreciated blend. This blend is very highly recommended.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)

This is a very good tobacco! Delicious! It reminds me a lot of the legend Balkan Sobranie altough it has some distance to it. If you love a satisfaying latakia blend than buy Tree Mixture.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

Tree Mixture is a wonderful tobacco blend. However, as English blends go, this one is much more toward the oriental end of the spectrum and has far less latakia than Balkan Sobranie, for instance. The musky oriental notes are evident early in the bowl, but there is plenty of Virginia there to support it. There is just enough latakia to provide structure, but contrary to some of the other tasters, I didn't find this strong at all. It's richness comes from the ample orientals.

I found that it took a couple of weeks with the tin covered, but unlocked, for the tobacco to dry to the correct smoking point. This should be smoked on the drier side, in my view.

This is a marvelous tobacco if you like oriental blends.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

A fine blend of Latakia, Virginia's, and Oriental. Supurb blending and just the right amount of ingredients makes this a pleasant and fullfilling smoke. Moisture content is like most coming from across the pond, so a little air won't hurt. The charring light is a breeze and the need to relight rarely occurs. The tobacco has that creamy effect, simular to G&H's Mixture #12, or a couple of GLP's offerings, smokes well, all the way down, without a bite or that burnt Latakia effect that others have laving the palate flat. While having quite alot of Latakia, it doesn't overwhelm, but rather mixes well with the support of the other players. In taste and overall enjoyment, I would have to put this by many of the current blends on the market, and above a few others. While being a somewhat strong smoke, it could easily be an all day companion.

Others have noticed a little similarity to Squadron Leader, as did I. There's a light sweetness from the black cavendish and Virginia, though the latter has some grass and hay notes, too. The latakia gives it some tasteful smoky and wood-like flavor. The Orientals also act as a team player to compliment the other ingredients, and adds just a little body to experience. It's not quite as complex a mixture as one might expect, but it gives a little nic-hit in addition to the good taste.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Not easy to find and not cheap but worth it.

I bought Tree Mixture and Wingfield Mixture in the London shop where they are house blends. Tins were opened and I had the opportunity to have a smell at the tin note. Just to mention that Tree seems stronger as Wingfield. Here is my review for Tree. Later will come the review for Wingfield.

First I must mention that the tin is more difficult to open as usual. Whatever the reason the reason, the moisture was perfect: not to wet and not to dry, allowing to light it easily and to have from the first minute a good idea of the blend.

Now, what a luxury! If the tin note let anticipate high quality tobacco, that is fully confirmed when smoking it. Long, cool smoke with the different aromas of the tobaccos mixing perfectly.

My benchmark regarding English blend is Royalty from Davidoff, easy to find and one of my favorites. This Tree extends its leaves and branches well over Royalty.

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Nice blend from Robert Lewis, a nice English blend with the typical smoky edge. Wasn't expecting much, but I felt wronged, cause it's really a great tobacco.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

All in all a good tobacco. It has a bit of German sourness in it which I didn't find in 'real' English blends (though this one is of Scottish style). Slightly fragrant from the BC, quite musky, surprisingly cool with very little to no bite. Seems like a stronger variant of Rattray's RR/BM, with a bit more 'bass'. 3.5 of 5, it's good, it's good. One more thing: my tin did contain ribbons, not broken flakes (as the blob says)

eric.t Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eric.t (1)

This is a slow burning full flavor tobacco. Well balanced between the different types of leaf make this a very satisfying smoke.

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very luxurious tobacco. The dark oily latakia, in a setting that's on the sweeter side of Balkan, makes for an opulent blend; like frankincense and myrrh, with the delicate softness of cavendish.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A relatively mild oriental with a nice balance of latakia that, as one other reviewer noted, lets the virginia leaf sweeten up the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the bowl. I smoked this straight from the tin from 2010 and had no problems with excessive moisture.

The smoke is nicely creamy, and the tobaccos burn flawlessly, but I do tend to relight this quite a bit as the bowl progresses-- that's just me, as I really do sip VAs and I an non too keen on getting bitten.

Not unlike Squadron Leader, but it does have the mouth-feel of being fuller and slightly more rounded, if a little less interesting.

Purchased from The Owl Shop, New Haven, CT.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Appearance is a mixed brown ribbon. Tin smells lightly sweet and smoky, with a sour note, making for a nose akin to barbeque sauce. Tastes lightly smoky with sourish notes.

Tree Mixture has several notes in common with Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture and Squadron Leader. Nice, basic, English mixtures that develop during the smoke. Like the Gawith blends, Tree does smoke cool. However when smoking Tree nothing truly develops except a mild to medium bite. I wanted to like Tree, but like several K&K mixtures, there is a sharp biting edge.

AgentSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AgentSmith (9)

Greatness detected upon opening the tin.

Similar to Squadron Leader, but a bit more crisply defined.

Colonel Tree deserves promotion to Brigadier!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I have really been enjoying this stuff, enough to order five more tins for the cellar. It's a simple formula, just Virginia and Latakia, but it's delicious and very alluring. It's a simple blend, which reminds me a lot of McClelland's Anniversary (the 2005 version) which comprises the same two types of leaf.

It's tasty enough to stay interesting, and borders on rich and spicy at its best. Stays relatively consistent in the bowl (and from pipe to pipe), is never real complex, but just a very satisfying, straightforward blend that is NOT a Latakia powerhouse.

Like Anniversary, the two tobaccos are present in precise proportions to create lots of flavor without the Latakia overload (even though, in the right context, I love Latakia bombs). Balance is the word I would use. Perfect balance.

Highly recommended.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)

I have just been visiting with a pipesmoking friend who was working through a tin of Tree Mixture, and who kindly gave me the opportunity to sample a couple of bowls during the course of my stay.

Although this exposure was insufficient for me to wax lyrical with regard to the merits of this blend, I thought it was worth recording that Tree Mixture seemed to be a top smoke.

Although in many respects it is a middle-of-the-road blend, it displays a degree of balance and refinement which elevates it above the common herd of medium-weight English mixtures. All the usual elements are in their proper place, but the resulting blend has a unique taste and character that surpassed my expectations.

Smokes cool and flavourful all the way down with absolutely no fuss. On this evidence, Colonel Tree was a man who knew what he was about.

Dunc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunc (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Without doubt one of the finest English blends on the market!

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco quite a bit, and though I am sure it has changed from the original British made version, it is still very good. Classic English mixture that reminds me of Dunhill blends. The virginia and latakia are full and well balanced. The beauty of this blend for me is that it isn't overpowering, yet it is rich. It smokes cool for me and has a refined softness that I like. That isn't blandness! There is no sharpness and that is soothing to my palate.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tree Mixture, as stated by Pipestud, IS a very unremarkable blend. Though a beautiful presentation, the tobak doesn`t perform well for me. Even aging was no help. Maybe my power settings were off and couldn`t get this tobacco in sync! Will not attempt this venture again! Sorry Col.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Notes: Sampled about 100 grams in several pipes, with the best being a mid-sized Charatan that brings out the oriental flavors a bit more.

Appearance: Black and Gold. A 50-50 mixture of bright golden and blackish strands with a small amount of green-gold and pale brown leaf in a thick-cut ribbon, fully rubbed out.

Aroma: Apricots, figs, honey, grape leaves, stewed plums, strawberry jam, and smoke -- sweet and fragrant.

Taste: A bit of tongue nip. A very mild, round-cornered English blend. Gentle smoking, smooth. Well-demarcated components. A bit austere. Figs, smoke, plum sauce, spice cake, walnut oil, crusty white bread, spice cake.

Comparisons: Similar to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe but without the sweetness or melding of flavors. Similar to Dunhill's My Mixture No. 965, except not nearly as strong or complex.

Bottom Line: A smooth-smoking, extremely mild smoky English blend. Quite decent. Fans of Early Morning Pipe and 965, who seek a less sweet, less imposing smoke will be charmed by Tree Mixture.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

Drainpipe said it all with his sharp, short and precise review. Instead of being smooth and well-balanced as Black Mallory for example, this is a tobacco were the blenders have managed to keep contrasts sharp and separated, instead of being intermingled as it is with many English Mixtures.

The unskilled pipester would be able to decipher all notes very easily, and that is what makes this blend both unusual and interesting.

However, as the nicotine lover I am, Tree Mixture could not satisfy me; that is why Tree Mixture only receives 2 stars.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

If my favourite pipe tobacco is a Great Dane in his prime, 'Tree Mixture' from Robert Lewis is a toothless Chihuahua whose bark is merely an annoyance. (Although, at any age, the bark of that Mexican beast is an annoyance.) This aging Chihuahua, shaking in its skin, must be kicked aside (pardon PETA). This is no German Shepard either, but a bit of roadkill waiting for vultures to finish its pitiful existence. I cannot recommended 'Tree Mixture'--it is rough stuff just barking up the wrong tree (double pun intended).

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A typical English ribbon cut, well variegated colors tending slightly to the dark side.

Aroma: Again, typical English aroma. The aroma is a good Virginia base with plenty of Cyprian Latakia and a lesser amount of Oriental leaf.

Packing: The blend packs easily into any pipe with no particular care required.

Lighting: Lights easily, but not too quickly. The usual two matches will get it going nicely

Initial flavor: The Latakia jumps right up in your face at the top of the bowl. The Virginias become apparent almost immediately, lending a nice sweetness to the leathery smokiness. The Orientals are in the background, easy to miss at first. Nonetheless, a nice flavor at the start.

Mid-bowl: Now it starts to show some better balance with the Orientals lending a spicy note. This varies as you smoke through the mid-bowl, giving you some complexity and layering of flavor. Not very complex, just enough to avoid being monochromatic.

Finish: Just a bit stronger at the end, leaving a fine medium gray ash. It usually smokes dry right to the end for me, very little tendency to gurgle.

Summary: A nice enough English blend, which I will return to periodically, but not too soon,nor too often.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)

Thanks be to Col. Tree becasue without his consistent patronage to Robert Lewis, we might not have this gem of a blend. Dunhill's English blends have long been my favorites but I must say that this blend may be better. Huge, meaty, and smokey, this blend shows a level of complexity that I have yet to find in other english blends. Flavor abounds through the finish of the bowl. The latakia and orientals seem to play tag with one another as the smoke progresses. A masterpiece. If you have not tried Tree Mixture, you must.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

This is one of my all-time favorite English blends. A true old-school English mixture. As others have said, it has great richness and some wonderful Orientals. The closest blend to this that I have encountered is Pease?s Renaissance. Tree Mix tends to be more expensive than Renaissance, though, so I tend to smoke the latter more often. My tins of Tree I prefer to age and save for special occasions. If you love classic English/Oriental mixtures, you really have to try this one.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend has all the ingredients for an excellent blend, but I am afraid it didn't work for me.

Appearance: Ribbons of mohagany and darker leaf.

Tin Aroma: Delicious, with the oriental and latakia dominating. There is a slight wine, prune aroma too from the fermenting process in the tin.

Packing: Easy, with moisture perfect out of the tin.

Lighting: Easy, two to three lights.

Initial Flavor:Like a Balkan "light" with the oriental leaf in the forefront.

Mid bowl: More interplay between the latakia and oriental. The Va is starting to come out.

Bottom of Bowl: This is where I liked this blend the most. There develops a nice Va sweetness with a nice smoky background.

End: No goop, dry grey ash, with a light dusting in the bowl.

Overall: This blend was inconsistent and was sensitive to pipe size. It seemed to smoke better in group 4 pipes and worked best for me in a Geppetto Poker. I suppose if you like to wrestle with your tobac, you might like this. As for me, there are too many other blends that surpass this style of blend.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

Tree Mixture has a great tin aroma that reminds me a little of Sobranie 759 and the room aroma is similar, but this aroma is only partially reflected in the flavor. Tree has a unique twist on the English theme and leans towards the Balkan end of the spectrum. I cannot recall trying another English blend that has the same range of flavors here, so it is a little hard to describe.

My problem with Tree is that it is a little harsh on my throat, which makes it hard to smoke the pipe straight through without setting it aside for a while. Too bad, bacause it is a different and interesting blend.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I smoked half of a sample tin of this in a Wiley pipe dedicated to english blends, thanks to Joe of my local Metairie Tinder Box. I am smoking the other half now. The flavor is so distinctive and consistent that I felt a review now is appropriate, though normally I wait for a full tin or two to comment.

William Serad of Pipes and Tobaccos said this blend is rich, rich, rich. It's true. He wasn't kidding. It is a english oriental (or even balkan blend) with a good dose of latakia. More richness that Butera's devine Pelican blend. It's richer than some of the Dunhill line, e.g., Early Morning, London, Standard; is as rich as Fox's Provost, Dunhill's 965, etc., but not as heavy as a full balkan or a real strong english like Dunhill's Nightcap. So a very rich, full, delicious natural taste, but not quite as heavy as you would think a blend would have to be to produce that experience. It is close to balkan in strength though. No bite to me.

No trouble in moisture content, packing, keeping lit, or consistency in rich oriental flavor. Not hot, as the latakia keeps it cool.

I recommend this for the full english oriental smoker. This has the extra oriental kick many good english blends lack. A step up in strength from Pelican or Esoterica's Penzance and at least two from Germain's King Charles. A no nonsense smoke, especially good for outdoors.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like Latakia will should like this one. Filled with wonderful smokey flavors. no bite. This is a blend that I would always keep on hand.