A unique blend of aged tobaccos moistened with imported French and Dutch liqueurs for a rich aroma and a mellow, comfortable smoke. Our unique combination of tobaccos is aged just long enough to ripen to maturity. Then, it is lightly sprinkled with three imported liqueurs to provide this blend with its distinctive aroma and a satisfying taste.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch, 12 ounce can
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

2.9

The moderately molasses sweet, nutty, very chocolately, earthy burley takes the lead over the lightly grassy, citrusy Virginia. The Dutch and French liqueur toppings are difficult to define (I notice anise and chocolate, among something else), and while they tone down the tobaccos, they also work well in concert with them to provide a very consistent flavor from start to finish.The strength and nic-hit levels are in the center of being mild to medium. The taste level is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. It might burn a little warm if you are a very fast puffer so I suggest a moderate cadence. I have never experienced tongue bite from it. It does burn at slightly more than an average pace, but even and clean with few relights, and just a little moisture left in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. Performs well in repeat performances, and is an all day smoke. It won't ghost your pipe. And, btw, when you open a tub of it for the first time, the smell is wonderful!

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have a confession to make. Recently, at my monthly Pipe Club meeting, I took a 14oz sealed tin of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic that had been sitting in my "cellar" for a couple of years to share with the group. I cannot speak to what others think of the blend, (it never turned sour or bitter on me, the after taste was sweet and tobaccoey and my wife loved the smell that lingered on my moustashe) and I really liked it -- a lot!

Unlike the dry, cube cut non-aromatic version, this was more of a shag cut and was at just the right moisture level. Upon popping the lid, the smell was semi-sweet and very unique. I packed a full bowl in a well used Krempp 1/8 bent stacked billiard that I normally reserve for Latakia blends. The initial lighting caused a thick and wonderfully fragrant smoke/aroma. The taste was of quality Burley with an unidentifiable, yet pleasant casing that added to the enjoyment. I smoked my usual 3/4 of a bowl and when I dumped the dottle, it was mostly dry - no goop at all. I smoked the bowl fairly rapidly with absolutely not even a hint of tongue bite. I cannot wait to work my way through the rest of the tin. I do not know what this stuff will taste like from a pouch (I have found the pouch versions of most "drugstore" type tobaccos to be less impressive than the tinned versions for some reason) but I think many of you - particularly the aromatic crowd - will find this to be pleasing. I like a lot of nicotine in my smoke and this stuff has it, yet it is not particularly heavy in the nicotine department. Just a totally satisfying smoke.

Okay, flog me if you must, but this "drugstore" blend really is a winner -- IMO, of course.

This is a pleasant mild OTC aromatic that is an easy smoke. The exact flavor is hard to identify, and I claim it may be tonka bean in one of those liquors. The taste is a nutty, sightly sweet burley with the mystery topping. This is not a strongly aromatic blend, and I find it works very well. I get a little of the burley bitter at the end of the bowl, but otherwise there is a consistent taste. Room note is good.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a real bargain for those who smoke aromatics either occasionally or often. As an over the counter pouch tobacco it outshines virtually all of the much pricier tinned aromatics. (SWR Aromatic is also available in a canister, currently downsized to 12 ounces.) It is, in my opinion, far superior to the other over the counter aromatics such as may be found in the Captain Black and Borkum Riff lines. Specific aromatics engender fans in an uneven manner because of the differences in individual palates, but for me SWR Aromatic is an outstanding product that is far more desirable than the price note might indicate.

This is not the SWR Regular with added flavorings. Regular bills itself as "mildly aromatic" (it has noticeable anise/licorice and some more evident sweetening that I would imagine to be sugar water) although I personally rank it as semi aromatic. SWR Aromatic is most definitely an aromatic, although I rate it as only mild to medium in that regard. The Regular has a broad ribbon chopped into an almost cubed form. SWR Aromatic is a very fine ribbon, chopped into what is nearly a shag or crimp cut.

The cut allows easy lighting and presents no problem in keeping a light, even with restrained puffing cadence. I find no problems with tongue bite when the gentle puffing cadence is used.

No aromatic is completely goop free, but the tendency to produce gurgle in this offering is as low as you are likely to encounter among aromatics. Likewise, this has a restrained ghosting tendency among the roster of aromatic smokes.

SWR Regular is all burley. SWR Aromatic, I strongly suspect, has some Virginia in it, although that is not stated anywhere. The pouch advertises that the aromatic flavor comes from three imported French and Dutch liqueurs. What are they and just what flavor do they impart? The room note doesn't answer those questions. The aroma is pleasant, but it does not have the toasting marshmallow nature of blends heavily dosed with vanilla. I would characterize the taste as mildly fruity. It is a pleasant taste, and because it is not overwhelming in strength it does not tire the palate. Personally I almost never smoke the same tobacco in successive pipes, but I can with this without difficulty. The tobacco flavor creeps through the flavoring.

The nicotine level is moderate, somewhat light for a burley heavy blend.

In smoking my last pouch of this I made heavy use of my one brylon pipe, which rendered the taste nicely, although I despise the overheated bowl which makes hand holding a brylon pipe difficult. (In many decades of pipe smoking I have had two brylons, and I consider that to be my lifetime allotment.) Because SWR Aromatic ghosts less than most aromatics, I sneaked some bowls into one of my Petersons which I normally do not subject to the aromatic blends while consuming this pouch.

Although aromatics are by far the biggest selling class of pipe tobacco, there are some who eschew them completely. This board probably has a greater percentage of these individuals than the population at large. Aside from aromatic haters, I give a thumbs up for SWR Aromatic.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco is like an old friend. From the first time I smoked it over 30 years ago I always keep it on hand in the tin.

Someone said that it reminds him of Christmas and I have to agree with that. If you think this is just a sweeter version of Original Sir Walter Raleigh you are mistaken. This blend and the original are two different animals. Nice tasting nuty Burleys and mild sweet Virginias laced with a wonderful aromatic liquor. Not sure what liquor it is but it's delicious in the blend. The aroma is like fresh baked cookies and old fashioned boiled plum pudding. You'll be sure to get compliments.

This blend is really a nice smoke that tastes like it should cost a lot more than it does.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Best OTC blend I've had to date... Don't let the aromatic lable fool you, this is a quality ribbon-cut burley. Easy to pack, light and enjoy. Taste and satisfaction is there. Like most burley blends I enjoy this in a cob. There can be a slight harshness to it, but, I think this is due to the use of some young virginia in the blend. I believe that if a can of this aged for a few years it would probably smooth out a bit. I give this three stars because of the quality and value for being a drug store blend. Happy Smoking...

Unlike SWR regular this one has flavor, and a nice flavor at that. Not much in the way of natural tobacco flavor, but the topping is delicious. This one I can enjoy.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. Burns well straight from the pouch and burns cooler than the regular. Probably because I'm not huffing it trying to get some flavor.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Morgan

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Wow. I was honestly very surprised by just how much I like this blend. The smell out of the pouch is so unassuming that I thought it would be really bland and boring. Just mildly sweet tobacco and not much else, but quite pleasant. But the flavors are much more complicated than I expected. It has a wonderful walnut from the burley and an apricot-like sweet taste that I really enjoy. This is one of two aromatics that I have really enjoyed, the other being Savinelli's Black Cavendish which is very similar.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum General

Similar Blends: Savinelli Black Cavendish.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (25)

Now be it stated I am not a connoisseur of pipe tobacco and wouldn't know a fine English blend if you threw the tin at my head, but I have smoked a ton of dime store burleys. This is one of the better aromatics I have bought- burns well, not too hot or goopy I recommend this to anyone wanting to try an aromatic out.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)

For some reason I have wanted to try this tobacco for years. But have had a hard time locating it in my area. Well, I got lucky a couple of weeks ago while visiting a tobacco shop which sells cigs & other tobacco items. They had a couple pouches of this blend on their shelf. So, I bought & gave it a try. Not bad for the price. Not sure what I expected it to be. But guess it just didn't live up to exactly what I thought it'd be. Worst I've ever had? Not by far. My all day smoke? By no means. Will I keep it around as a fallback for every now & again? Surely will.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a classic. While this blend is aromatic it is not a goopy type of aromatic of black Cavendish soaked in god knows what. This is a good burley blend that is topped IMO. The topping that is here is a liquer type topping. Which ones, I do not know nor do they disclose. While it does accentuate the burley there is plenty natural burley nutty "chocolatey" notes that consistently make their presence felt.

Although it is not heavily topped it is more so than Sir Walter Raliegh thus the need to add the moniker aromatic. Still both of these blends would qualify as codger burleys. Both of these are as old timey Americana as a blend can get IMO. While I would say that I still would prefer Carter Hall to this one, this is right there. and I really can't decide whether I like this better than regular SWR. I think they are similar and both are good.

If you like a cool easy burning, easy smoking no nonsense blend that also smells fantastic, this is the one for you.

Ephraim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ephraim (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite aromatics. It really is nothing like the regular Sir Walter Raleigh (which is my all time favorite Burley blend). The cut is ribbon, and the pouch aroma is of some undefined liqueur...pleasantly sweet with fruits and perhaps coffee present. No hint of the usual vanilla scent that permeates many OTC aromatics.

The ribbon cut was easy to pack (but in my opinion ALL tobacco is easy to pack if you really want to smoke the darn thing, rather than fiddle around and over-think the process). Lights up easily and burns very well for me. Very few relights.

The initial taste is of an aromatic for sure, but tobacco flavor makes its presence known as well. I would describe the taste as one of very light fruit, but predominantly of caramel and tobacco. Delicious. The pouches I buy at the local shop tend to be on the dry side, but that is beneficial for me as SWRA burns extremely well. The room note with the smoke is noticeable to me while smoking and smells of brown sugar. Nothing but compliments from my nonsmoker friends, which is always nice.

I do find that it can taste a bit harsh and might nip a bit if pushed, especially towards the end of the bowl.

Oh and one more thing. The nicotine is present in this blend. Rare for me to feel it with most tobaccos (high tolerance), but I certainly do with this one. Nothing powerful certainly (it's no Five Brothers) but definitely there.

A great non-Black Cavendish, old school American Aromatic.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Weak , tasteless , boring. Gave the rest away.

NEXT!!!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update 9/2017

Unfortunately, Lane has changed the formulation a bit and doesn't have the depth of flavor it once did. They have dropped the description of being flavored with imported liquors. Aroma similar but slight difference. Not nearly as enjoyable. --------------------------------

The blend that Jeffrey Wigand had a cow over. But, as any tobaccophile can find out coumarin was ubiquitous in the industry and still can be found in paticular with Kendal manufacturers via Tonka beans. Anyways, I smoked this stuff back in the day when B&W still manufactured it and can compare it to today's iteration from Lane Ltd. The original version of course was better. In particular the cut was a drier ready-rubbed dutch cavendish than today's more moist ribbon. The contemporary version captures the aromatic quality faithfully and rather unique for a domestic tobacco. The flavor style is more akin to premium danish aromatics. It's aroma and taste has a seemingly hazelnut, maple and perhaps orange liqueur character with a fainter note of SWR original casing of cocoa and spice note. From what I have also found out is there is an underlying note of vanillian. My guess as to the three liqueurs that flavor it are Fangelico, Grand Marnier or Curacao and perhaps brandy. I think the original had a bit more flavor but the newer version isn't bad at all. Fairly good for a domestic.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

On the positive side, it lit well and stayed lit. However, I really did not enjoy this smoke. I was a little harsh almost tasting more like a cigarette. I gave up drug store brands several years ago opting for more custom blends, maybe I am turning into a tobacco snob, but I won't even finish the pouch.

Pipe Used: New Cob

Purchased From: Local

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Presentation is thin ribbon, almost a RYO/shag cut- very different than SWR regular, which is more of a traditional OTC crimp cut.  Pouch note is of dried, candied cherries, with some chocolate undertones and the slightest hint of aniseed. I get no liqueur in the pouch note. The tobacco was very dry, which may have just been a function of the age of my particular pouch, ie. how long it sat on the shelf. As such, it took a match well and a single light was all it took to get it going. There was no ritual of charring light followed by true light given how well this blend ignited.

The initial light brought a flavor very similar to the pouch note: a touch of sweet cocoa, a touch of candied cherry, a hint of aniseed, and something I can't quite identify but would characterize as a stereotypical, old-timey, "grandpa's pipe" flavor.  As the bowl progresses, the flavor takes on a slightly sour and vaguely unpleasant note akin to cherries and chocolate past their expiration date.  What I'm picking up here, similar to Half and Half, is some potentially interesting flavoring agents applied to some poor quality tobaccos.  There's a funky chemical taste to this blend that does nothing to improve upon the original. I am somewhat skeptical as to the "imported French and Dutch liqueurs". And I detect no liqueur, European or otherwise, on the palette.

Mrs Perique approved of the room note, though I was less than pleased with the flavor. Overall, I was unimpressed with this blend, even when ranked among its OTC peers.  The thinner ribbon causes this blend to burn fast, and the chemical agents cause it to burn hot. The smoke and the flavors are very thin, with no mouth-feel to speak of.  Sir Walter Raleigh regular is, in my opinion, a better blend.  But with the vast sea of American-style aromatics out there, it's hard to rate either very highly. SWR Aro, unfortunately, ranks below SWR regular, itself a two star blend (though a decent OTC). I cannot, however, recommend the "Aromatic" version. The only positive thing I can say is that it didn't bite.

Update: this blend is improved by mixing roughly 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh (regular).

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Since some call it a drugstore blend I didn't expect much when I tried this. Boy, was I ever surprised! This is good stuff.

I like the flavor, the room note, the smell it leaves in my pickup truck. I had to double check the pouch to make sure this is really an aromatic. Other aromatics come on too strong for me. Not this one. It's just right.

After 2 or 3 bowls out of a pouch I called up the company where I placed a recent order and asked them to add on a big tin of this tobacco.

This has become one of my top two favorites.

Excellent!

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (25)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

After smoking the Regular Sir Walter Raleigh I was expecting the same weak and bland tobacco. Much to my surprise I was greeted with a gentle lightly flavored smoke. The ribbon cut Burley packs and lights well. I required only two relights for the whole bowl. The liqueurs that are said to be applied to this blend are done so very delicately. I normally avoid aromatics due to there over casing and goopy gurgling they produce, but this was a pleasant surprise as it did neither. At $2.90 a pouch it's a bargain! I would highly recommend this to anyone new to pipe smoking. You really have to push this hard to get it to bite. The only thing that kept me from giving it four stars was the lack of strength. I'm not a big Burley fan but this wasn't bad. If your looking for something mild and an all day smoke this is it.

kyrider54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyrider54 (5)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I bought my first tin of Sir Walter Realigh aeromatic that I haven't smoked since 1975.I forgotten how good it was.My father used to work for Brown&Williamson and would bring it to me.When he retired I did not pursue it any further,and began smoking sutff that I was getting from The Tinder Box when I worked for them at one time.I drifted to different blends and could not settle on anything in particular.I read different reviews when I discovered the review web site.I went out and got the tin and was soooo glad I did.It has a great smooth taste.Burns nicely and leaves a very mild aroma in the room.Never burned hot,and had no bite at all.I would highly recomend this blend to anyone that wants a smooth cool smoke.Buy you a corn cobb pack it with SWRA and you're hooked.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch I bought was dry and the tobacco smelled of maple and coffee to me. Very pleasant. It was very easy to light. It produced a prodigious amount of light grey smoke, and the flavor was mild and pleasant to start. However, much like its drabber sibling, it turns very sour halfway through the bowl. I can't imagine going through a 12-14 ounce tin of this stuff. But I know there are many who do. If you enjoy sour flavors this stuff might work for you. The room note is nice, and the aftertaste is very much like boiled peanuts.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Just tried some of this and it started biting me like a rabid ferret, totally out of the blue.

Taste/smell was pleasant enough until the attack, like butterscotch, and the room note was decidedly unferretlike. However, next time I'm in a pinch, I think I'll reach for something safer, like PA.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not what you expect from SWR, the cut of the aro is more of a semi cored ribbion and the addition of Va. is quite noticeable. The addition of liquor aling with The famous SWR anise is alluring to say the least. Packs a pipe well and burns like a champ. Very consistent flavor too to bottom. No problem with bite or funky taste when smokes at a reasonable pace. Good smoke indeed. Looking for a blend that can be had almost any where that is a good smoke, this is your blend. It is one of the standards I enjoy while in the tractor, cutting wood and other such farm chores, and the dogs and the cattle say it smells good to boot. Because it is a old codger blend doesn't mean it not good smoke!

Pipe Used: Cobs and old Grabows

Age When Smoked: New and well aged

Purchased From: Various brick and mortars

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Surprisingly good! I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. This was a spontaneous purchase from my local grocery. Nicely cut burley with a very pleasant pouch note. It smokes well and stays lit. The flavor was nutty at times and not overly cased. Will I keep it in my rotation? Probably not. But I would purchase it again, definitely. No wonder it has been around so long...it's a good blend!

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Purchased From: Grocery Store

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

This is my daily go-to smoke. It is the best OTC blend out there, in my opinion. The pouch note smells just like an oatmeal raisin cookie. It smells so good I could almost get a spoon and eat it. It packs very easily, and I have found I can even pack it with one hand while driving. It has a pleasant aroma that gets compliments every time I smoke it in the company of strangers. The flavor remains consistent throughout the bowl, and it has the nuttiness of burley mixed with a sweetness that is coming from the liquors used in it and possibly from some Virginias. I find myself craving this stuff. I need to buy it by the tub instead of getting pouches. I think people who don't like aromatics could enjoy this as well simply because it has so much flavor and the room note lacks the typical "vanilla" scent that so many aro's tend to have. Give it a shot. You may find that it deserves to be much more than just another drug store blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, MM Cobs, John Hines

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Smoke and Vapor, Wytheville, VA

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

It smelled interesting in the pouch, sort of fruity, and brown-sugary sweet. Like raisins in molasses. If only it would've tasted like that.....

After lighting it, my tongue felt like it had been sprayed with hydrochloric acid. This is the 2nd worse tongue-bite I have ever experienced (the worse was Middleton's Apple). After allowing t to settle down, all I got was a cough-syupy taste, and a little cigarette tobacco flavor. The room note was of burned molasses. The tongue bite continued, and was so bad I couldn't finish the bowl.

I would definitely recommend that you buy something else.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Rob Roy Legend bent

Age When Smoked: 55

Purchased From: Bi-Lo

Similar Blends: A Lucky Strike dipped in NyQuil..

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (9)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Ah yes, Sir Walter. This is an over the counter, heavily cased, sweet aromatic tobacco. I smoked a pouch of this mainly in my cob while grilling or messing around in the garage. To me, drug store aromatics all taste the same, like vanilla or something. Of all the over the counter pouches this one is probably my favorite. I may never smoke it again, but it's my preference over the other cheapies. An open pouch stayed pretty moist for about 6 months sitting on the back porch.

Pipe Used: cob, kaywoodie

Purchased From: got for free in mail

Similar Blends: Captain Black Aromatic.

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A pretty good blend all in sll. Decent tobacco taste. Just a bit too perfumy in my opinion.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

Looks more like a shag cut than a coarse cut as described. This is a good all-day tobacco for cutting grass, and doing yard chores. Never hints at biting, and can relit several times without any negative consequences. I really like this stuff. Topping is very faint, but it is there. Loads easy, lights easy, and it's easy to maintain. Burns clean and cool.

#2 choice for drug store tobacco, next to Carter Hall. If you can find this, buy it!

3.5 of 5 stars

A bit of an unusual aromatic. This I received as a sample in a trade - somewhere just short of 2 oz. Upon sniffing the contents, I got an overpowering aroma of sweet fruitiness. I wasn't encouraged. However, the taste is of straight burley with a moderate amount of sweet casing. Don't trust the nose, I guess.

This narrow ribbon burned brilliantly and did not leave a wet heel. I got nothing even close to tongue bite. The flavor did not dissipate down the bowl. And therein lies the only real problem I found with this blend - the flavor. I just did not like it. It tasted like a sweetened Amaretto or something (isn't amaretto supposed to be bitter?) and it just didn't sit well with me there. It wasn't horrible - it just wasn't a flavor I enjoyed. A lot of aromatic blenders can learn a lot from this blend, such as how not to overdo the sauce and how to make a pleasant blend that smokes the same down the bowl. If the flavoring were something more to my taste, this would be an incredible aromatic.

And so, my rec of 2 stars is for my personal taste only, as is my custom with reviews. As a blend, however, this is something every aromatic lover should try to see if they like it. It's extremely well made, and represents the aromatic genre splendidly.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

Having tried SWR awhile back, i decided to give this blend a whirl. I find the taste is rather appealing and it leaves a very nice room note. The ribbon cut on this is about the same as SWR and it packs and lights easily enough. I find that this does burn down to an ash with alot of dottle in it, as is the case with many of the OTC genre. It does produce a nice amount of smoke though. I must say that it does have a nice amount of Vitamin N to it, which is a good thing. The price isn't too bad either. All in all, I would recommend this blend to newbies, as well as those wanting a change of pace from their regular smoke.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought in the pouch, haven't tried a tin yet. I find it a little too damp when first opened. Hard to keep lit and a little harsh towards the bottom of the bowl. However, given some time to dry out, very much improved. Easey to keep lit, good flavor. As someone else said, tastes like it smells. I would recommend this to any aromatic smoker. In my opinion, better than many of the much more expensive blends.

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Ok, I'm not an Aromatic pipe guy. Too many mishaps with these blends early in my piping career that steered me away. I found a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (2 years old) and decided to give it a try. Note that the tobacco was thoroughly dried out as the pouches aren't sealed like others except in a plastic wrap.

Open it up, packed it in my corncob, and was immediately greeted with a pleasant smoke. Then I found myself packing a second corncob for round two. Dare I say I like this? Yes, I do. It's a very mild, easy smoke that won't bite and damn smells good too.

Pipe Used: corncob

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)

If something survives ages and each generation grant it a new avail, it does mean this thing has a trascendence. After all trascendence is the victory against time, the recognition of an unperishable quality or at least of the illusion of durability.... Think of a tobacco like Sir Walter Raleigh, so universal, so widespread and you'll get a glimpse of what inmortality is. The virtue of excellence.

I remember its particular fragrance as a child visiting the doctor who smoked this in copious ammounts (in a country which was ages away from strict modernity) an indelible remembrance. Later, as an adult i found it again, now as a pipesmoker. Sir walter raleigh, such a classic. And yet this is simply words, you have to taste it in order to find the true meaning. Burley indeed, so mellow and a tad sweet with mild nic hit, very amicable and easy going, good for the morning, the day, the evening, or finishing the day. With enough aroma to keep you enamoured and sufficient nuttyness as a pack of almonds. The blend circunvents some subtle cocoa traces with liquor (especially felt in the tongue) and changes its chracteristic flavours from mild to medium during the smoke, well mannered, kind, fragrant. Its fragrance will enchant the place you are and the people around, as it did with me, as it did with the generations that has granted its fame.

Pipe Used: Vector 944

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is one I've been wanting to try. My grandfather smoked regular SWR, witch I tried and didn't like. But this one has me interested. It didn't feel like sawdust in the pouch like the regular but a moist ribbon cut. Smelled wonderful. Packed good and stayed lit. It can be a bit of a toung scorcher of smokes too fast, but not a bad baccy.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand,MM diplomat

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Smokin Joes tobacco shop. Wellsboro, PA

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Brown & Williamson - Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

I reviewed this, or what I thought was this, a few years back. As it transpired it was a pouch of something else - a nice blend but it wasn't what I was told it was supposed to be. So I deleted my incorrect review, and the moment I saw this and it's sibling Sir Walter Raleigh Standard on Smoking Pipes.com I put through an immediate order. I found the standard Sir Walter Raleigh a very enjoyable blend, but I'm not so fond of the 'Aromatic' version.

As Pipestud points out, this one's a shag cut blend, as opposed to the cube cut of the standard Sir Walter Raleigh. When I opened the pouch, the aroma that greeted me was both pleasant and misleading. It smells almost caramel-like and has quite a pungent alcoholic trait. This isn't reflected as pleasingly in the smoke: the only recognisable flavour I get is some of the harshness, bitterness, and yuckiness that can sometimes come from alcoholic flavouring. To be fair, aside from the nasty flavouring, the tobacco flavour's good and it gives the blend a bit of a redemption: it's a very full and true representation of a top-class Burley-heavy blend.

I'd think the nicotine's at a strong enough amount for most smokers to get along with as it's medium, but I can't guarantee everyone will get along with the room-note: I don't.

It gets two stars solely based upon the quality of the Burley, and in all fairness although I don't find the flavouring very nice, there's not a great quantity of it.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Quintex

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Where I live in Gods country this stuff costs $ 3.33 and is probably the best " drug store " blend out there .It's got a ribbon cut, burns clean ,smells nice and gets a little heavier near the end. I don't know if you can get this stuff hot ... burns real cool for me and the liqueurs flavor is there to almost halfway through the bowl then go bye bye. Easy to light and keep lit.The end of the bowl ends w/a little more burley flavor than virgina w/ just a little mositure. Good smoke .Update : Thought about it some more and for 3 .33 $ It should have 4 stars though it's a 3. Ya know what ? I'm gonna stock up on this blend and others ... i think the government bastards are gonna hike up the tax on pipe tobacco ... thanks obama supporters ....

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is an American aromatic burley, this drugstore tobacco is slightly top flavored and gently cased giving an elegant aroma of nuts + cherry and a lovely room note, while it is not as nutty as Prince Albert, it is however more fruity and friendly smell.

Overall, an easy going, delicious and maintenance-free smoke while driving or watching movie or playing video game etc.

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Honestly, I can't taste any liqueurs here. To me, it's a plain Burley blend, and not bad at all in that department. In drugstore burleys, this is only second to Prince Albert, and like the rest, it endures only due to availability and price.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

This is the second time I've done this but here it is. Read the tin note, its right on ! To date, the best drugstore brand I've had.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I must quote Satc001 below me, "This is not your typical drug store blend!" I actually enjoyed the tin of this I bought last fall. I wasn't expecting anything but I got a lot. It is mild and has a wonderful flavor. It didn't burn hot, didn't burn my tongue and never offended anyone. I could smoke this in public and feel just fine about it. It tasted as good as it smelled. I only had one issue. I always got heartburn from it. It didn't matter what pipe I smoked, what time of the day was or what the weather was like. After a full bowl, I had heartburn. WHY!?!? I like this. The price is good too. I hope more people try this, I also hope to get over the heartburn thing!

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

I purchased a tub of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic based on my love for the regular Sir Walter and the superior reviews for the aromatic version. I wasn't disappointed.

First of all, this is not your typical drug-store blend. Upon opening the tin, I notice that the leaf is of superior quality and comparable to any burley leaf you would find in the high-end blends. The aroma is wonderful and of sweet liquors. It lights and burns easily.

The flavor is sweet with the liqueur flavoring of the tobacco. Sometimes this tobacco tastes more like candy than tobacco. However, when the flavoring evaporates, there is a high-quality burley flavor left behind. This tobacco is best enjoyed in a small bowl, for some reason, a smaller bowl size creates a more full-flavored smoke. The burley also develops a somewhat vegetal nature in the smoke if puffed too fast. The aroma is delicious. It doesn't bite, unless it is DGT'd.

Overall this is a very good drug-store blend. For the price, it is one of the better aromatics on the market. I will certainly finish my 12 oz. tub and will probably keep some of this on hand.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)

I recently bought a pouch of this from my local grocery store. Although it smelled nice in the pouch, it was a little dry. Even when too dry it smoked well. The main word here is comfort. The added flavorings tend to make the burley more comfortable on the tongue rather than take over the blend. If you see the word "Aromatic" and think Black Cavendish you'd be mistaken. This is a burley for sure. I recently gave this little pouch a Presbyterian baptism (that is, I sprinkled some water on it) and the flavor got a little stronger in the bowl. By the way, the best way to smoke this kind of stuff is in a cob. The cut is very coarse and it takes too much to fill a big briar with it. And, you don't need to. This is a great smoke without taking all day. I can't comment on the room note because I have had to smoke a lot outdoors lately. However, I think the aroma is nice. It's a little sweeter than Prince Albert, but I am an even bigger fan of the Prince for many other reasons. For those sampling Burley for the first time, I'd start here. This tobacco is very forgiving if you puff like a dragon and the aroma will get you used to a more "tobacco" smell.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

OK, so I had recently finished up a pouch of the Sir Walter non-aromatic, and decided to try the aromatic blend.

Wow, now this was completely different from what I was expecting. First of all, the pouch scent was really nice, is it a plum or a prune scent I am detecting, though not overpowering by any means. The pouch I bought seemed to be quite fresh. The tobacco had just the right moisture level to it. It burns quite well, leaving a fine white ash. I'm not an expert on tobacco blends, but I believe this one is predominantly burley, and very very mild on the tongue. I've smoked a lot of burley tobaccos, though I'm not normally a big fan of burley. But after smoking this brand, I have a new respect for all of you burley lovers out there. I would recommend this one to beginners, as well as seasoned veterans. I would even go so far as to recommend this one as an all day smoke. For a drugstore brand, I would put this one in my top three picks...

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (7)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

got my first tin of swr aromatic today, and i was in my glory.the smell upon openning the container was fantastic, i could not wait to put some in my university pipe and lite it, wow what a taste, it has to be the best aromatic i have tasted . no sludge or gurgle and the room note was fantastic. most of the time i smoke virginias for the sweetness, but this burley and the flavorings are fantastic, no bite for a burley, and the room note smells great. i will still smoke my virginias on and off but when it comes to an aromatic, i finally found the one i like. i give sir walter raliegh aromatic a recomendation of 4 stars

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)

This Blend is not what it use to be. SWRA use to have an almond aroma. Which ahs now been changed to a soft vanilla. Not as rich as it use to be. Still not a bad tobacco but not very aromatic. I think the regular SWR is a better bet

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

OK so its only a lowly ?drug store? aromatic, nevertheless I am not in the least bit ashamed to admit that this is my all time favorite ?go to? blend. Yes, I have strayed and enjoyed some wonderful ?high end? aromatics from the likes of Pipeworks & Wilke, Habana Premium, Boswell etc. but I always come back to lowly SWRA and am amazed at how much I like this mild and sweet smoke. Any aromatic, for this smoker, can become monochromatic if smoked to complete exclusion, but SWRA has long been the most consistent element in my rotation. Burley predominates in this blend, this can be an all day smoke. As other reviewers have mentioned it can exhibit some bite and I too have noted that any bite seems to diminish after the tub has been open and allowed to ?age?.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)

It was a mistake! I told her to bring me a pound of Sir Walter Raleigh regular. She brought me the aromatic. It sat on the shelf for one year. I was desperate..I needed pipe tobacco and that was all I had. In the jungle you live by care packages. I opened the tin, packed, and lit...puffed and enjoyed it. Mild, mild, mild....no one complains about the aroma..as a matter of fact, most compliment, "My Dad, Grand Father ( insert as you desire) used to smoke a pipe. That smells nice." This is my fallback. I know its readily available and friends can bring me this by the pound. Easy light and keeps burning til the bottom. I like it..yeah, I smoke nothing but Dunhills and I should like something more esoteric, but you know , I smoke this all the time. Try it....you'll understand....

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This blend reminds me of a light beer. Just as light beer gives you a slight taste of beer, this blend gives you a slight taste of maple/vanilla sweetness. This would be the perfect blend to smoke around those you may offend or to introduce someone new to the pipe.

One of the lightest aromatics I have ever tried. For what it was, it was a pleasant smoke, but on those occasions that I am in the mood for an aromatic, I want more flavor.

I have to agree with the favorable reviews for this tobacco. I bought a pouch in Washington State while on a trip near Richland, Wa. No good pipe stores in the area, only the cigarette type stores with a smattering of very expensive drug store tobaccos. After buying a pouch of this tobacco for about $5.50 plus sales tax, I opened the pouch and took a sniff. Wow, this smells great. I'm usually let down by drug-store tobaccos, barely tolerating the Captain Blacks and Borkum Riffs when I have to, but Sir Walter Aromatic is quite good for this type of tobac. I don't think I will invest in a large can, but for something fairly tasty, great smelling, and readily available in my area it is very good. Just avoid buying any tobacco in Washington State! They had a 100 gram tin of MacBaren Club Blend for $25 dollars plus sales tax in their display case!

Update: 7/3/2005...A great summertime blend. Puff away while doing yardwork. Tastes like real tobacco (good Burley) and smells terrific!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

I know it's already been said, but I'll say it again anyway, this is definitelly NOT anything like the original SWR. I picked up some of this, after reading the reviews here. Yes, the pouch aroma is very pleasant, and the ribbon cut packs easily enough. But, wow, this smokes smooth, clean and with the right balance of aromatic topping and tobacco flavor. I don't much like aromatics, and am tired of the choco- vanilla-whatever flavors that I've found. This, however, is a different breed of cat and I think aromatic lovers will find something here they like. I'm going to keep some of this around for when I want to reach for an aromatic. A very good smoke.

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (13)

Perhaps I'm a little picky about what I consider an aromatic, but since these categories are pretty subjective, I guess that's allowed. When I think "aromatic", I think "highly flavored, American-style Cavendish", and this most certainly is not. I'd call it a moderately cased Burley, and a very satisfying smoke, a high class "drugstore blend". (By the way, we should retire "drug store" as a category, since no drugstores sell pipe tobacco anymore. My local supermarket has Prince Albert, if you're lucky)

This has a nice subtle flavor and a lovely tin note; it didn't bite and lights and burns easily. It is, along with Carter Hall, a classic old-fashioned Burley, and a must-try for those who enjoy air-cured tobacco.

Better than a mere 3, not quite a 3.5

Historical note : today the Supreme Court handed down a ruling making it much easier to tax internet sales. That's going to affect all of us, and not in a good way.

Pipe Used: Briars, corncob

Age When Smoked: A few months.

Purchased From: W. VA Smokeshop online

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (26)

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

This currently runs neck and neck with my other favorite OTC, Carter Hall...although the two tobaccos are very, very different.

The pouch note is burley chocolatey and nutty, with a hint (barely there) of Virginia hay. The liquor is a suggestion, a ghost and a nearly invisible player which serves to round out and mellow the burleys a bit and make the experience sweeter.

After smoking quickly through a 1.5 ounce pouch, I've reached the following conclusions:

1. Pack this one lightly, regardless of chamber size. This allows the tobacco to burn without numerous relights and allows the flavors to really emerge as you work slowly down the bowl. 2. This weed will absolutely not bite. The four or five reviewers who say it does bite either have unique body chemistry or don't know how to sip a pipe rather than guzzling it. However, if pushed the ashiness of the burleys and some bitterness quickly appear, making the rest of the bowlful unsmokable. 3. A corncob is the best choice for smoking this tobacco. While it behaves well in all chamber sizes, I have smoked halfway through this pouch using a M.M. Diplomat - 5th Avenue that has burned everything from lat bombs to shisha-type aeros. It will ghost most pipes but has never been a problem in my cobbs, especially if I do a little high-proof alcohol scrub after every fifth bowlful or so. 4. The cut is more RYO style than a ribbon. As a result, SWR/A burns incredibly quickly. The large 5th Ave bowl should smoke for over an hour with most tobaccos, but this one will burn up in about 20 minutes. The reasons for this are either the short ribbon cut or perhaps the loose pack I prefer. Good news is that packing lightly reduces the amount of tobacco needed to fill the bowl. If loosely packed and frequently, gently tamped this is a one-light smoke. Packed more firmly into the pipe, this requires numerous relights each of which tastes worse and worse. Try to keep this one smoldering rather than counting on relights.. 5. PG? What PG? There is so little humectant here compared to other OTC pouches that it bears mention. A couple bowlfuls laid out on my tobacco tray dried to crunchy after less than an hour. Keep in mind, my smoking room features a gas log fireplace...and the relative humidity in the smoking room is a bit lower than elsewhere in my house. But yes, it dries fast and therefore will smoke fast, especially if loosely packed as I described. 6 Yes it can be inexpensive, but prices for the 1.5 oz. pouch range from around $$2.50 to as much as $6.00. Local taxes, tobacco vendors who specialize in anything but cigars and pipes, and local demand all affect the price. At the $4.00/package point, I start looking for nice bulk offerings, like C&D Pegasus and other lightly-topped blends. 7. Speakng of toppings/casing: Nothing goopy, cloying or sticky here. This will not leave sticky, messy, wet crap in the bottom of your bowl. Leaves a medium grey, dry ash with only a few bits of hard carbon dottle. Nice mechanical characteristics. Won't smoke wet unless pushed with overly anxious puffing.

When I bought this, I had real doubts. My first pipe tobacco, recommended by a minimum-wage "expert" at a chain tobacco shop was a horrible Danish aero cased with what was supposed to be cherry liqueur. I figured another OTC aero would yield similar results. To my great relief, this "aromatic" smokes cleaner, drier and cooler than any other OTC I've tried, even my beloved Carter Hall. SWR/A is lightly sweet, aromatic, easy on oral tissues, inexpensive and for the money, a 4-star blend. Highly recommended at the price. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: M.M. Diplomat/5th Avenue, meers, small briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from 4 month old pouch

Similar Blends: Nothing really quite like this, and it's very different from regular Sir Walter Raleigh..

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

This is a totally different beast than standard Sir Walter. Burley is the backbone, but the liqueur topping is always there. Sweet and nutty with raisin and maybe cognac notes. This is and enjoyable smoke, burns cool, dry, and clean. Not as heavily cased as typical aromatics. The flavor is a bit artificial at times and Burleys are not as high quality as some of the tinned blends. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a tasty and enjoyable blend nonetheless.

wildcrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildcrow (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Note evokes memories of my childhood. It smells sweet and light, full of apricot and chocolate - though I have the jug, not the pouch. The tobacco comes in beautiful ribbons of deep dark browns intermingling with lighter yellow browns and loads effortlessly into the bowl. Following a packing method similar to the baby, mommy, daddy method (as with any of my ribbons) I proceed to the charring light. Tamp. True light. As it burns, I definitely find chocolate and cashews in the smoke. It's light and airy from beginning to end. Unlike other Aros I've smoked, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic brings enough flavor to make it an all day smoke. The scent/room note really depends on where I'm smoking it. If smoked outside, people continually comment on how delicious it smells. Try as I might, I cannot smell what they smell, so I assume it smells like a smoked version of the tin note. When smoke indoors, it smells good for a spell. After half a bowl or so, it just smells like cigarette smoke (to my wife). It requires a few re-lights throughout, but I have only found one or two blends that burn all the way at a reasonable pace without bite. Usually leaves a quarter inch of dottle with a coarse dark black/gray ash (as if that means anything). Wonderful smoke and wonderful price. Classic American blend.

This is my go to and has been for years. When I need to break a pipe in, this is the blend I do it with. I know this tobacco and how it performs.

Pipe Used: All of mine eat this tobacco

Age When Smoked: Any

Purchased From: Discount Tobacco; New Bern, NC

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I wish that I could pair the pouch note of SWRA with the taste of it's older sibling, SWR Regular. After many years elbowing my way past OTCs, I picked up pouches of each at a local B&M, and worked my way through both, comparing them more to each other as I went, than to other tobaccos. However, this review is more about SWRA.

First, the pouch aroma is very inviting, smelling more of molasses with perhaps a light cocoa undertone. Regular aro smokers may not be completely bowled over, but they surely won't be disappointed. I don't get a lot of fruit or liquor here, as the sweet molasses aroma dominates.

The ribbon cut was just the right moisture, packs easily enough, and lights well. Having already tried the older regular blend first, I was anticipating to be pleasantly overwhelmed by the molasses/chocolate taste of the aromatic version. That didn't happen for me. And, I suppose it's understandable, as most aromatic processing seems to sublimate the natural sweetness of the tobacco. This seems to be no exception with SWRA. While it was a good taste, with a pleasant room note, what I detected in the pouch note just didn't quite appear when smoking, and I'm taking off 1/2 star for that issue.

Cool, won't bite, and although the taste of the burley is reduced, SWRA is a very good choice, an all-day smoke, and certainly one that will make an evening and a glass of your favorite beverage all the more pleasant.

3.5 stars. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase SWRA again, and I place it right up there with Carter Hall, and Lane Ready Rubbed for overall smoothness. But, given the choice only between Sir Walter Aro and Sir Walter Regular, I'd go with the regular every time.....and did. A full tub of the regular was just ordered from P&C.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Right from the pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - Lane Limited Ready Rubbed.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What can I say...simple straight forward...an every man's tobacco from back in the day! The pipe smokers from the days of yore knew a good thing and thats why this blend has stayed around for so many years! I tried this for the first time a few nights ago..yes call me a FORMER tobacco snob that would never smoke a "CODGER" blend..This blend has it all..smoothness..flavor..nary a bite..another example of missing out on something good!

Pipe Used: Brebbia 986 Gala First

Purchased From: grocery store

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (47)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

edited review: I now think this is a pretty decent tobacco. Needs to be packed loose on bottom and tight on top, and tastes best from a cob. In a briar tasted too sour to me. Out of a cob it has a sweet, creamy smoke with a pretty good room note. Will only bite if pushed too hard but smokes pretty dry. A very good OTC probably one of the best, For me competing with Half and Half but totally different.

edit: I have now smoked this out of a Grabow briar and thought it tasted good in that too.. maybe it's just the 9mm filter or European pipe it doesn't agree with?! Will have to try it again.

Pipe Used: COB, Vauens, Grabow

Age When Smoked: cellared 6 months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Not at all similar to Sir Walter Raleigh - different cut, different color, completely different. I have no idea why they even chose to give SWRA the SWR name at all, unless it was just as a marketing tool to get SWR fans to try it.

Ribbon cut (as opposed to SWR's unique chunky clumpy rough cut), light brown (vs SWR's medium-dark). Nicotine is mild, as expected.

Moisture level is decent - a little on the moist side when compared to other OTCs, but drier than I would expect from an aromatic. Certainly not goopy. It benefits from a bit of drying time, but smokes ok straight out of the pouch. The flavor is interesting. Tobaccoreviews.com says that it is flavored with French and Dutch liqueurs, and that sounds right to me. A sweet cordial. Slightly fruity, but the fruit is hard to identify...peaches? Apricots? Mild burley is detectable, but this is an aromatic first and foremost. That said - the topping isn't cloying, overly sweet, or overpowering. Very well balanced.

I went in expecting a drug store burley with a little extra top flavor, but what I found was far different - an interesting light aromatic. Definitely recommended for aromatic fans, but also worth a shot for fans of other OTCs. I could definitely see myself revisiting it when I'm in the mood for a mild light aro

originally reviewed 11/1/2012

Pipe Used: cob

PipingParson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipingParson (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

While I have heard that the 12oz tin is fresher, I can only speak to the condition of the tobacco I had in the pouch. This tobacco upon opening has a very distinctive aroma. If you're familiar with fresh play-doh then you about have this scent. I didn't find it off-putting at all, but I think the nuttiness of the burley doesn't work well in the pouch note. The taste is very similar to Captain Black Gold, but with much less vanilla. The young burley in this can contribute a harshness if smoked too quickly, so a moderate pace is recommended. The nicotine level is present, but on the medium side. I would absolutely recommend this pipe tobacco to others, as I think it's one of the best over the counter aromatics around. I did not have any tongue-bite whatsoever and the wife really enjoyed the aroma.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain

Similar Blends: Captain Black Gold..

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The burly Virginia blend that was my introduction to tobacco. The aroma is a delight in the tin. The blend lights up well and burns quickly. This needs to smoke slowly, as the blend will naturally burn fast.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)

Was trying out as many of the "old fashioned" blends as I could get my hands on.

Nothing particularly fancy or complex here. A good, solid burley for an all-day pleasant smoke you don't have to fuss with. Smokes great, burns clean and has real, honest tobacco flavor.

Pairs well with a very cold beer.

Pipe Used: cob, briar

Age When Smoked: New pouch

Purchased From: local tobacco store

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Might taste the unnamed liqueur. Mostly burley. Not very aromatic. Some nicotine. No tongue bite. Smoked dry in a cob. If you can only get an OTC blend, I recommend CB Gold before this. I wouldn't bother buying this again. I like to exhale through the snork, and this was a little too strong to enjoy doing that. I recently bought a Zippo pipe lighter. When using it, I find that tobaccos which can require relights are better at staying lit. YMMV.

Pipe Used: MM cob w filter,

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Captain Black Dark.

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Despite being labelled as an OTC. Sir Walter Raleigh neither feels nor smokes like a cheap tobacco. It's very smooth, mellow and after the mid bowl it gives you a nice burley kick. I would recommend it for new and old smokers alike. If you like an affordable tobacco with a few centuries worth of reputation under its belt.

Pipe Used: Dunhill 4108

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)

Wow this is way different than the regular SWR in that the tobacco is IMO much higher quality and is just a higher class than the more pedestrian SWR. Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the regular for what it is, a plain Jane Burley that's great for Putzing and gardening, driving etc. But the Aromatic is smooth, tasty, for me cool burning and worth the extra bucks over the regular. I know I should have tried the pouch before the tub as my first experience but my local smoke shop was out of the pouches so I dove right in and I am delighted that I have a whole tub of it. Chocolaty Christmas spices is what I get, a pudding of sorts but not on a Lane 1Q or BCA level, the topping is much more restrained and would entertain the non aromatic guy as well. The topping has already elicited compliments in the last couple of days and she doesn't bite so those two pluses for me make this a winner. I can see how SWRA would make a sublime all day blend. Try some, you wont be disappointed!

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I found this to be a decent OTC and a good choice for an occasional aromatic smoke.

Smokes smooth and easy and while I couldn't say what the liquor toppings are I do agree with other reviewers below in that it has some type of light fruity essence. I can at times taste both orange and apricot flavors. Not overwhelming mind you, just an essence of..

Ribbon cut and delivered at appropriate moisture makes packing and smoking this a breeze. Very nice room note also!

Upon finishing the pouch here I'll spring for the tub on my next order to keep around for those times when I want an aromatic. I appreciate this one especially as its not a heavy super sweet ghosting aro...just a nice light top note.

Could easily be smoked in any briar you have without much ghosting concern, that said I wouldn't run it through a bowl that's dedicated to very light/delicate VA's as you may pick up a bit of crossover but even then I couldn't see it hanging around long..

All & all an easy 3 star blend and I totally get why this has been around so long. Good stuff!

Pipe Used: Various Briars & Cobs

Age When Smoked: year..maybe 2

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: Unsure..such a mild aromatic.. Unique taste.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked this one since Lane took it over. The pouch smelled good.The smoke reminded me of Capt Black Round, and the leaf looked like Capt Black round.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: new very fresh

Purchased From: Tobaccoworld smoke shop

Similar Blends: Capt Black Round.

jmitchell189 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmitchell189 (1)

Well now, here's a blend I love to hate. One of the better OTC burley blends. Here's the deal, I can taste the chemicals in this from time to time. It never gunks up the pipe, but I can taste the sour chemical taste. The problem is, I keep reaching for it. I keep a pouch on hand and I love the smell. I just wish it tasted the way it smells.

Pipe Used: Briars, MM Cobs

Age When Smoked: Straight from the pouch

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

After smoking and enjoying Sir Walter Regular, and hearing generally good things about SW Aromatic, I am a little disappointed.

This stuff isn't bad, but the regular version has more flavor. Sir Walter Aromatic is a ribon cut blend with Anise liquor on top. Straightforward burley tobacco, though on the light side, with a hint of anise.

Not bad, but not worth the hassle I went thru to find it and try it. Smoked the pouch I got without trouble and moved on. Would not buy again, but not bad, just not for me.

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)

This is the best OTC aromatic on the market. It has a very nice liquor topping that comes through in the flavor and the room note - almost reminds me of a good quality Christmas fruit-cake (if you believe such a thing exists). The burley can get a little harsh toward the end of the bowl, but in exchange the smoker is rewarded with a little more body and strength than one usually gets in an aromatic. Yes, there are better blends out there, but you're not likely to find one on the shelf of your local grocer.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)

Short ribbon cut, mostly mid browns. Pouch note is medium sweet, some licorice and coca aromas. I am distantly reminded of the old Bank RYO tobacco. Not a clue what the actual flavourings are.

Packs and burns easily but takes a few lights to get started.

This is a mild, neutrally sweet aromatic with a pleasant low key aroma. It does not burn hot. Throws up some Burley bitterness as it goes down the bowl.

Not a baccy I would repurchase, but apart from the bitterness it has no obvious faults for a light aromatic. Very good value.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

My first OTC. I decided to smoke it in my father-in-law's old pipes, because he was proud to say when he was a smoker, he was a "Sir Walter Raleigh Man".

Pouch Note - Plum and burned caramel. Much lighter on the nose than I expected.

Char and initial light - It takes to the flame well. I'm not tasting too much here. I can pick up burley, but it's muted. I get a little astringency, but it's fairly calm as well. The aromatic aspect I'm just barely picking up.

Mid-bowl, the burley brightens up a bit, but it's still very subdued compared to some other (specifically C&D) burleys I've had. Almost muted. I am picking up more of the topping, which is a faint burned marshmallow and almond.

Room note correlates to the topping, it's nutty on the side of roasted almonds, and a burned marshmallow/caramel.

Nicotine hit was as expected with a burley heavy tobacco. I got the burley burp, that little lump at the back of the throat.

No bite. Even when I was herfing my pipe like it had the antidote...

Verdict? I'll likely smoke this again, when I am not in the mood for anything life altering... It wasn't unpleasant, however I found it very, very mild in flavor almost to a point of boredom. It was not temperamental at all despite puffing very slow or very fast... it stayed lit and never bit.

Even if this is my first OTC, and I'm a self-proclaimed "Pipe Newb", I still am of the opinion you aren't a serious lover of combustable tobacco in a briar bowl if you haven't at least had one OTC.

Edit 5/19: I am changing my review. This tobacco is totally different in a cob. I'm guessing that my own briars are just so ghosted with English blends that it affects burley in quite a negative way (as Old Joe Krantz was a similar experience). I have smoked 4 cobs full of SWRA in two days and I am absolutely blown away by how good it is and how much better I can taste it in a cob. I have dedicated all my cobs to burleys from this point onward and will consider SWRA a fantastic smoke. I have already placed an order to get larger cobs (freehand and general) because my Legends just aren't lasting long enough.

Pipe Used: Londonaire Bent Apple, MM Legend (unfiltered)

Age When Smoked: Unknown (Bulk)

Purchased From: 4Noggins

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a pouch and couldnt finish it, horrid stuff that wouldnt stay lit and burned hot. Id be interested to try it in the large can to see if its any better, i find that tobacco brands can be spoiled in the pouch and are often better in tin or can. This blend certainly has a large loyal following with positive reviews so ill have to revisit it at some point. All i can say is the pouch i got was rubbish.

Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful burley-based tobacco with a mild chocolate liquor flavor, and that flavor translates well into the room note. However, unlike other OTC aromatics, it is not all sticky and goopy. SWRA is not just a jazzed-up version or SWR, but something quite different even if it is a basic burley blend tobacco - but I swear I catch a hint of Virginia leaf in here. I'm not even sure why Brown & Williamson even released under the SWR banner since it is so dissimilar, but I guess their marketing honchos had their reasons. No matter, it's still a wonderful blend that manages to strike a good balance between the tobacco base and liquor flavoring. I'd recommend it to any new pipe smoker, or to any experienced pipe smoker looking for an occasional "heavy" aromatic. Some would call this a light aromatic, but as a fan of "light" aromatics like MacB Scottish Mixture I think this is "heavy" by comparison. As such, this (and Finck's Money Bags, which I think is very similar) is the only "heavy" aromatic that I like... and I like SWRA a lot. Nothing refined or nuanced here, just a very pleasant smoke.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)

Interesting stuff this. It's barely aromatic, akin to a Scandinavian in some ways. The pouch aroma is pronounced; however, in the pipe this behaves very well, not too wet, never a soggy heel, and nary a pipe cleaner needed. In the air it does not smell like a drowning Rum cake, nor those heavily scented candle things that some of the women-folk tend to enjoy.

I prefer this one to the non-aromatic. The liqueurs add a few nice touches and make it a bit brighter, but not too much.

It doesn't need drying time, packs and burns great right to the bottom. And does not change all that much in the bowl as you combust your way down, which is good in my books. Far too often the aromatics start off great and deliver for the first third with the remaining thirds being a chore and one perseveres; virtually a Cardinal Sin to waste tobacco like food.

There is an ever so slight freshly rolled cigar flavour to this, in a good way. And a hint of Lakeland as well, without the soap. I have a strong aversion to soap harkening back to when I was a foul-mouthed youngling. None of this Kumbayah overindulged parenting BS. proper form and manners were liberally dished-out by aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbours, et caetera.

Certainly not a tobacco epiphany, but a decent stalwart blend. Well suited for the morning paper and a strong black coffee. Perhaps gardening, fly fishing or duck hunting, hiking or camping. A competent tobacco for the outdoorsy types and seemingly tastes better in that setting, at least to me.

Since this burns very clean and reasonably cool one can pack a number of bowls in the same pipe. It's not overbearing and can be enjoyed consecutively. Of course if you put your best effort forward it'll burn hot and bite. Mind you any tobacco will if pushed too hard or numerous lights. One zealous chap I knew even got asbestos to bite.

Many will accuse me of being a mutineer on The Good Ship Pease; however, this stuff delivers bowl after bowl with the overall smoking experience superior in my view and more memorable than many Pease blends; regardless of being aromatic or not and excellent value to boot . . . enjoy.

UPDATE 2013, from 3* stars to 1*

I prefer not to update; however, the last two tins of this stuff are not smoking well at all. The pH is way out of whack; bites a lot. And the aromatic component has been reduced, not for the better I might add. I fully realise batches and harvests change, a shame really I quite enjoyed it. I may buy more in a year or two just to see.

UPDATE 2015, back up to 3* stars

I snagged another tin and it was back up to par. The pH is not laser-like on my tongue. And the aromatic component/ingredient has increased to previous levels, glad I took a skeptical punt and it worked out.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE 10/11: I have found this to be the perfect "walking the dog" or "on the go" tobacco. It packs and lights so easily and you can puff it pretty good and it keeps burning cool and mellow. I have really gotten used to the aroma and flavor of this mild blend and come to really crave it. I have found I have gotten many compliments on the smell from strangers and I got the "ok" to smoke this in the house by the wife which is saying alot. Plus it burns dry which means my pipes don't get gooped up. Up-ing my review to 3 stars.

I had low expectations for this blend and was pleasantly surprised.

There is more bright VA in here than most folks realize (not just SWR regular with a topping on it) and the shag cut is super for packing, lighting and puffing. The tobacco is fairly dry, not goopy like a cavendish blend.

I find the topping to be familiar to orange liquor and it lasts the duration of the smoke. The taste and smell of this stuff is very similar which I have not experienced too often. This feature does become kind of annoying as you smoke more and more of it. It does ghost up a pipe so be aware if that is going to be an issue.

It is a crowd pleaser, or, maybe better stated, not a crowd offender.

It is very mild and could be an all day smoke if you are really into aros. I am not, but will keep some on hand for when the mood strikes.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I crossed paths with this old-school blend during my ongoing tour of the much-maligned "drug store" tobaccos. This is an excellent aromatic and maybe the overall best first tobacco for a neophyte piper. At around five dollars for an ounce-and-a-half pouch, it is a steal. It provides an easily-packed, one-light bowl that you can puff on like a steam engine climbing a five percent grade with no detectible tongue bite whatsoever. The room note garners the frequent complements usually reserved for more exotic boutique aromatics. I have it in a dead heat with Carter Hall as the most forgiving of all the "drug store" (read: venerable) blends for smokeability and overall enjoyment. I ran it past my most experienced brother of the briar in the form of a blind tasting telling him that it was a "drug store" blend. He nailed it soon after the charring light, thanked me for the bowl, allowed as how he used to smoke it by the pound, and still keeps a can on hand for times when a good, sturdy, straight-forward burley with a premium room note is the call. Recommended.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

If there is a tinned or elitist type mixture among the old line OTC, supermarket or so-called drug store blends then Sir Walter Aromatic comes the closest to that standard. I returned to SWR after trying the original orange packaged blend many decades ago as a teenager. At the time Brown & Williamson was offering a free booklet on how to use a pipe and particularly how to make a pipe packed with SWR taste better. The booklet was sent to me with a kindly note from a company staffer who recognized my youthful scribble and wrote "throw away that pipe my Lad - you're much too young to smoke!" I never forgot that advice but a few years ago, willy nilly, returned to the pipe smoker's life.

For my money Sir Walter Aromatic is a solid, substantial and consistent smoke: cool, rarely bites, pleasing mouth feel with taste and aromas from the special liqueur casing that make it sweetly memorable. Such a feature is rare among plebian or commoner genre blends - and its considered to have enough quality to be found often at many tobacconist dens. If I had to choose 3 reliable mixtures to take with me knowing I'd be isolated for a year or more from a good tobac source this would probably be one of them. Happy Hunting!

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

SWR aro is much better than the old standard SWR. It is a pleasant smoke but it does have a very slight bite if smoked too fast. The casing gives it a subtle hint of chocolate liqueur. The room note is extremely pleasing even to people who normally don't like pipe smoke at all.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

There was this older clerk in my Army unit who smoked this blend in one of his goofy looking metal pipes that looked more like a slide harmonica than a pipe. Maybe that's why I never liked the blend until many years later: it was probably his pipe that smelled so bad, not the tobacco itself.

Anyway, I'm with one of the other reviewers who was curious to know which liquors were used to flavor this blend. When I inhale the aroma deeply from the cannister (I have a 12 oz. one), I get a sort of a chocolatey liqueur whiff from this blend. The room note is identical to the aroma in the can AS LONG AS you smoke slowly; otherwise you will get a gaseous, chemical-like odor to the smoke which is not at all pleasant. Not sure why that happens, but it does.

The fine ribbon cut burley packs easily and burns right down to the bottom of the bowl and, as with all burleys, no real bite as long as you smoke it slowly.

For a "drugstore" tobacco, you could do a lot worse, amigo.

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

If you are a Burley fan (and I have to tell you, I'm really not) you really should try this blend. I bought two pouches on a recent trip to North Carolina and put the contents of both into a glass jar. My first two or three bowls were not all that enjoyable. They were fine, not terrible, but nothing that really inspired me. But since then, probably 3 or 4 more, it has developed into quite a nice smoke. I am still pretty new in terms of pipe smoking so I am still finding my way and discovering what I like and don't like. For comparisons sake, I really did not like C$D's Haunted Bookshop. It was just "too" Burley. SWRA, tho, has developed into a mellow, tasty, Burley smoke. It burns clean and dry, with maybe one relight halfway thru. As for the flavor/casing, at first I thought it seemed thin and even almost non-existent, but again, that too has developed since the initial few smokes. In conclusion, with all of that being said, I would give SWRA a solid 2 1/2 stars. I can't go for a full three stars on my own personal scale because I find that I am more of a Cavendish/VA smoker (e.g. Lane BCA/1- Q). I probably won't buy SWRA again because there is just a little more of that Burley "ashey-ness" than I personally care for. BUT, if you are a Burley fan, I think you might find this in the 3 - 3 1/2 star range.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was shopping and spotted this on the shelf and as I have never tried it, and as rare as it is getting to find new blends on the shelf, I bought it to try. I am a big fan of SWR regular and I was hoping that this would be an aromatic version of that. it is not! It in no way is like SWR regular. The cut is more of a cigarette RYO cut, it does have a fabulous pouch aroma but in a Danish tobacco way. But, I figured if it tastes half as good as the sweet smell in the pouch, I might enjoy it. It is an all brown leaf and packs veery easy in the pipe. Upon lighting, it fires up with one light and maintains the light in a smoldering, constant way. Upon lighting up, it is very mild to the palette but the room note is great. It does gain flavor pretty fast but is not overwhelming in any way all the way down. It has a sweet and a tiny bit of soapiness to it but as I like Highland tobaccos I never found this bad. It just never blossomed into a tasty blend in any way, just too mild for my palette. I really thought with the SWR name, it would be a more beefy smoke and it never developed into that. It's worth a try, but I can't give it more than two stars as it does not excite in any way. I wish that blends within a name would keep the good points of the main blend or just change their name completely.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

My first try with this baccy. Upon upening the tin, I was hit with a strong aroma of black walnuts and chocolate. Wow, this was going to be one sweet smoke, Right? Wrong! First off, had a few sticks to pull out of the first filling. I am developing a strong aversion to sticks in tobaccos and this one is a duzzy. Started out picking sticks out of the whole 12 ounces and wound up with almost 1/2 ounce of just sticks - some that I would like to call logs.

OK. Start over with filling the pipe. Packs easily and evenly. Lights easily and didn't even need a second match. After initial tamp, settled down to really enjoy this smoke and it went downhill from there. No sweetness or nice aroma to be found. Never got hot or bit but started strong and continued to get stronger as the bowl went toward the bottom. No real particular tobacco taste or flavorings to enjoy, just strong! OK, must be the pipe. Maybe I hadn't cleaned it as well as I should. Grab another pipe and start over. Everything was as the first bowl full. Started strong and got stronger. This time, I had to quit after the first 3/4 of the bowl because I couldn't stand it any longer.

I'm really disappointed because of all the really good reviews that went before me which made me try this to start with. This seems to confirm a couple of beliefs that I have had for a long time about tobaccos; 1. That you can always get a bad batch, which I probably did; 2. Everybody's taste for tobacco is different exclusive of the particular taste qualities. I have noticed that some tobaccos that I find strong, some of my favorite reviewers find perfect or mild and vice versa, etc.

I will not downgrade this popular blend based upon my experience alone. I will keep it for possible blending tests and probably give it a couple more tries in the future. It certainly is no killer and you just might like it, so I'll give it a 2 for good measure.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)

UPDATE: 4/1/2008 The propylene glycol or whatever humectant they use on this leaves for me a bitter/metallic after-taste that I really dislike.

I haved an EXTREME aversion to propylene glycol and other "un-natural" humectants - they leave a terrible taste in my mouth and sometimes make me ill - ruins the whole experience.

Why OH Why can't they just use a little distilled water or Mc-Vinegar? This is the only downside I find to this dependable, pleasant burley blend.

I still like this blend more than I dislike it. Bought some last week and still smoking it.

ORIGINAL: 9/20/2007: VA lovers may like this one, as I do. It is a lightly cased Burly that burns well and evenly. Though I don't buy this regularly anymonre, I still like it in autumn outdoors or while on the farm hunting - just seems to fit for me at that time of year.

A readily available smoke that is a go-to for me. I like the aroma, very different and pleasing.

Medium to light nicotine and it can bite, though not often in my experience when I take care to be conscious of my packing and puffing technique.

This blend is on the dry side - a good thing.

You can spend a LOT more and get a LOT worse.

Thanks,

Ethan

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

This is a weird one! I gave it a try after reading some reviews, and remembering that my friends and I in high school used to buy the regular SWR blend and roll cigs with it.

Opening the pouch was a little "pewey" to me. I am not a fan of aromatics, but can enjoy them if the aren't overwhelming and I can still taste the tobacco. I really thought this stuff would smoke disgusting, so I tried it in a cob first.

It lit right up, and seemed to just take off and smoke on its own. I have to agree with a lot of the reviewers here in saying that it was rather bland in taste, though very pleasant in aroma. The flavor itself was more or less like a watered down burley. I like burleys for the "on the go" type of feel they give me, and for the nicotine. If this is a burley, it must be heavily diluted with something else.

I will say that it was very mild; no bite and no faint BO smell like some of the cheaper burleys. Its aroma reminded me a little of pecan pie for some reason, and once in awhile a little of that came through on the palate, but not enough to really satisfy my taste buds. I had the same results in a good briar as in the cob. I can't say I was disappointed, because I had no great expectations. Often I find myself picking up on little nuances of flavor that others miss, so I thought I would try it. Nope, it's just not there.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

It's summertime and often this time of year I will experiment with various burley blends that I can purchase on my way home from work at the grocery or quick stop. I took to smoking S.W.R regular on my drives home and at the lake and found it enjoyable. I decided to give this tobacco a try after reading reviews on it on this site and found a friendly manager at Food For Less that didn't mind ordering in a 14 oz can for me. On opening the can I was very impressed with the smell and feel of the tobacco and could not wait to get it in my pipe. It lit very well and burned and tasted great! Actually it is the only aromatic blend that I have ever been able to enjoy in the heat of summer. My wife and family is pleased as they really like the smell. I have smoked half of the can in the last couple of weeks and have to say that I have not had a bad moment. I imagine I will obtain another can and keep it in my regular rotation. I would like to find more info on the blending and making of this blend it is very unique.