The chocolate brown wrapper leaf would make an overly bold statement if blended with a heavy hand, but if just the right amount is used, it provides an alluring spice, a suggestion of the richness of a great cigar, and a creamy texture to the smoke. A little Cyprian Latakia rounds out the flavors, and smoothes the edges just enough. Ripe, red Virginia leaf provides s a modest sweetness while giving a backbone to the body. A variety of oriental tobaccos fill in the gaps. Robusto is complex, full flavored and spicy, yet very gentle on the tongue. It's perfect with the afternoon coffee, as a delicious finish to a wonderful meal, or as a stout companion throughout the day.

Notes: From GL Pease: For years, I've been intrigued by the idea of cigar leaf blends, but with one notable exception, nothing has really hit the mark for me, and the one that did, the celebrated Sobranie Virginia #10, has long been out of production. In mid-2000, I began flirting with different ideas, experimenting with different leaf, concocting prototypes, and quickly tiring of them, until, finally, I was shown samples of some exquisite maduro wrapper leaf that stimulated a new interest in finding my perfect cigar leaf blend. After months' worth of experimental recipes, I zeroed in on the blend I'd been searching for, and Robusto was finally born.

The cigar leaf would make an overly bold statement if blended with a heavy hand, but in just the right amounts, it provides an alluring spice, a suggestion of the richness of a great cigar, and a creamy texture to the smoke. Cyprian Latakia rounds out the flavors, and smoothes the edges. Ripe, red Virginias provides a modest sweetness while giving the blend structure. Oriental tobaccos fill in the gaps, and make Robusto a complex, full flavored and spicy mixture that is still gentle on the tongue. It's perfect with the afternoon coffee, as a delicious finish to a wonderful meal, or as a stout companion throughout the day.

Robusto was introduced in November, 2002.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsCigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

This is not a duplicate of the sadly lamented Sobrania #10 Virginia, but may be a welcome replacement for it.

Appearance: Random cuts typical of GLP blends, mostly red, with some darker leaf, and a few greenish bits.

Aroma: Good rich Virginia base, with a hint of maduro cigar. A faint trace of Oriental, or is it my imagination?

Packing: As always, the cut lends itself to easy packing in any sized pipe that I?ve tried, from group 3 to 5. Unlike Raven?s Wing and Odyssey, Rubusto seems to need a slightly firmer pack, but YMMV.

Lighting: Takes flame quickly, but not too quickly. Starts burning evenly right away, just a slight tamp at the start and it?s ready to enjoy.

Initial flavor: The initial flavor varies, depending upon the pipe?s history. In a Latakia pipe, the Latakia is emphasized, and in a Va. pipe, the Va. sweetness is highlighted. The cigar leaf is noticeable right away, but never overbearing.

Mid-bowl: Cool, rich, and wonderful. Seems to stay lit well at a slow puffing pace. Nicely layered flavors of red virginia and maduro cigar on top, with latakia and oriental in the background as accents.

Finish: Burns to the bottom in a well behaved way, but too damned soon. No noticeable increase in harshness. Leaves a clean almost white ash, and a dry stem.

Summary: Another winner from Greg. I don?t know how to categorize this one, but that?s not the important issue. If you enjoy cigar leaf blends, this is one not to miss.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

After reading about this new proposed addition on Mr. Pease's website last fall, I plead my case to him and he was kind enough to provide me with an ounce of his prototype which was close to the quality shipped out in December 2002. He gave me some insight into his new cigar leaf blend in our communications. I smoked it in a small bowl meerschaum and became immediately interested in this new cigar leaf blend. So I ordered several tins from C&D when it became commercially available late last year.

I've just smoked finished smoking a full two ounce tin in a medium Benton churchwarden (the "Big Ben" shape from Edward's I believe).

This blend is somewhat stout, as is described, but is not overwhelming or harsh at all. Nor is it hot, if you puff deliberately. It is completely natural in a stringy, shaggy cut. It is not a wet smoke. It has a base of virginia and some condimental leaf, and the cigar leaf is added in just the right proportion to let the cigar note stand out but still be balanced by the rest of the tobaccos.

Yes, you can taste the cigar leaf, and surprisingly the blend -- even given the mix of other tobaccos -- is suggestive of a medium cigar experience. (I smoke cigars only on occasion, but know what that's like.) It's just not as strong as a cigar can be. Nor would I imagine most would want it to be that full.

In comparison, it is fuller than Fox's Bankers, has more of a cigar note but less strength from the Latakia than Robert Lewis' 123 blend, it is slightly more balanced but not as full as Mogano (nor is the finish as strong), and is slightly more complex than Connoisseur's Special Reserve. All good blends too. I understand that this new blend is supposedly modeled somewhat from an old, extinct Sobranie virginia blend, which I have heard others rave about but have never personally experienced.

When I first opended the new tin, it had only a month or so of aging. It did leave my palate a bit dry at first, but after a few more weeks it was more balanced, and remained on the stout side as intended. I intend to age a number of tins, but even the newest of tins is very smokable, tasty, and kind to the tongue. Quite an achievement! I promised Mr. Pease a good review if I liked Robusto, and I do so this it it. Recommended to folks who want a definite cigar note in a natural blend, medium to full.

Former 965 Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Former 965 Fan (7)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For my first review (and many thanks to all the reviewers who have taken the trouble and time to construct this wonderful resource that has been a help and a joy to me) I have picked a blend that I consider to be seriously undervalued.

Blending cigar leaf into a well balanced pipe tobacco is very tricky but Greg Pease has produced a great smoke here in what was an early showing of his probably unique ability as a blender. Other producers have created great and varied ranges of tobaccos but over longer periods of time and much more favourable circumstances. I think in reviewing tobacco from a range one tends to have an overview of the range and that is my mine upfront. Having said that my view of the Greg Pease range is not uncritical and inevitably in so characterful a group I seriously dislike a couple I have tried but also found them instructive about tobacco and interesting. Robusto was by no means love at first puff as it took over half a tin for the flavour to fully settle and round out in my pipe - while otherwise a low maintenance tobacco it does not fall into an obvious type so benefits from a dedicated pipe. Once settled in it has a wonderful complex flavour with contrasting cocoa-cedar- mild leather balanced by raspberry-citrus-nectarine but dry (as against sweet), rather like a really good red wine. Having said this the flavours are subtle and do not distract from but enhance activities like reading - again rather like a really good wine not distracting from a great meal but enhancing it. The smoke is creamy and caresses the tongue without any bite; and even after 35 years of pipe smoking I have to confess to a bite prone tongue.

The distinct cocoa element at least reminds of Sobranie Reserve Blend Virginia Ready Rubbed of over 20 years ago but considerably better (more complex plus does not share the rather off putting room note). It therefore displaces that tobacco from my all time top five - the others are also sadly long out of production.

I give this tobacco the strongest recommendation to virtually any pipe smoker as the blend is well integrated with none of the components (including latakia) to the fore (obviously if you tend to smoke below medium strength start with a part filled smaller pipe).

One warning though if you return after a few hours to a half smoked pipe it can be a bit ashy but not necessarily unpleasant and even quite interesting.

In summary one of the all time great smokes a joy in good times and a solace in bad moments - above it does not just fill a slot in the rota but is fun to smoke.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Aroma: Robusto resembles a nice Oriental-forward English like Squadron Leader or PS Balkan Supreme with an obvious Latakia presence. The cigar leaf is not noticeable at all in my tin (for some reason, mine was quite dry when opened), and was much more present in Key Largo.

Appearance: A higher percentage of olive-colored leaf than Key Largo, which I assume is the oriental. Key Largo is darker and does not show much evidence of this greenish leaf but then it's a flake, which means it was pressed, which means the various types of tobacco may have melded a bit more than with Robusto.

I took one pinch of tobacco and in a totally unscientific experiment, separated the various tobaccos from one another. No, I'm not obsessive-compulsive, in fact I'm a strong Myers- Briggs Perceiver, but my curiosity got the best of me. It looks to be very roughly equal parts Oriental, Virginia and cigar leaf, with a little Latakia to smooth it out.

Flavor: First, the results from the briar pipes: this blend is much more austere than Key Largo. The words “rich” and “smooth” do not come to mind. There is no subtlety here – Robusto is astringent and “dry”, as in wine tasting, meaning unsweet. It's quite spicy and if I allow a little to get into my nose it burns.

Now, this may not sound like a ravishing review out of the gate, but many of us like spicy mixtures. If you're one of them then Robusto will satisfy. If you like Ashton VSGs and certain SG ropes that have been utterly dried out, you'll like this. It's not as smooth as Key Largo, and it is significantly different to me in both taste and behavior in the pipe. It burns very easily and somewhat quickly, probably due to the very dry nature of this particular tin.

Now, stand back – the Meer tasting: absolutely amazing! I have never before experienced such a positive shift from a Meer. Normally it's the other way around for me – most tobaccos taste better to me in a briar, and I use a Meer mostly to get a good handle on the unadulterated flavors. But in my Meer the Robusto absolutely erupts into a smooth, rich, complex, wonderful smoke that I just couldn't get enough of - an incredibly tasty experience that puts Robusto right near the top of all the Pease blends I've had thus far.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Been a cigar smoker for decades as well as a pipe. Used to be more cigars, but I've changed. Pipe smoking is cheaper and there is such a vast variety I've shifted to being only an occasional cigar smoker.

That said, Robusto is the Bomb; an atomic bomb, perhaps even thermonuclear! When I smoke this I make sure I have a comfy seat, a hot mug of java and no place to be or heavy equipment to operate. This is one to be savored over time and not hurried or pushed.

Deep, thick, chewy, dark, rich, brown then black. All those and more. Now I can smoke this in an oversized pipe, but made the mistake of having my first Robusto- fest in one. It almost won that first bout.

I like it strong, hot, smokey, stout, thick, rich and powerful. This never leaves me lacking for any of those. Thank you Mr. Pease, you done damn good with this beast of smoking pleasure.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This one ain't named Robusto for nothing. Yikes, flavor out the wazoo and its a kind of taste that sticks with your palate deep into the evening... so, don't look for a hot night of kissing unless she smoked a bowl, too.

Robusto has a cigarish flavor that I enjoyed. I much prefer pipes, but from now on, this cool burning, heavy tasting blend will be my "cigar" when the urge for a stogie hits.

Thoroughly enjoyable and both of my thumbs are up.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Robusto takes some getting used to. As a fan of full English/Balkan blends, it's hard to categorize this one. This one is clearly heavier on the Virginias, but is it a Virginia blend? No matter. Robusto is unique, and that suits me fine.

Luckily, I didn't approach this blend with the hopes of smoking a cigar in my favorite pipes. I smoke cigars when I want cigars. That out of the way, I was ready to approach this mixture -- which smells nothing like my usual favorites -- with an open mind.

Popping the tin revealed a sweet, pungent, slightly tangy scent. Welcome to Virginia and massive tongue bite ... so I thought. I couldn't detect the Latakia or the Orientals too easily in the can, but noted the cigar leaf without much effort.

The blend feels soft in the hand and isn't quite as thick or heavy feeling as others I've tried. You can pack a whole lot of this into a bowl. Of all the Pease blends I've tried, this one comes out of the can with moisture dead on beautiful. I loaded it up immediately and set out to smoke.

My normal charring light is not a tender, sensual experience. Rather, I can be aggressive with the process. I advise using a bit of restraint on your charring lights. I went a bit overboard once and ended up with some tongue bite. Not bad, but unwelcome at the same time. I don't blame the blend.

After hurdling over this one learning curve, I found the blend to be very good. It's a solid performer, a hell of a cake builder, and it tends to burn quickly -- but cool. That makes it a good smoke in any size bowl. Its lightness/airy quality allows it to burn evenly all the way down, and I've never found dottle with this one, no matter how it was smoked. It produces an attractive salt-and-pepper ash.

The cigar leaf makes itself known throughout the smoke, but never fully takes over. I would enjoy a higher cigar content in this blend, which is not to say it's not good as-is. I also have trouble picking out the Latakia, but the Orientals come out to play once in a while.

Save for my goof during the char that one time, the entire bowl goes down without a bite. Relights can be harsh, so again, don't overdue it. If getting a good burn the gentle way means using a few more Vestas or flicks of the Old Boy, do it. You can get a few harsh puffs otherwise. Not nice.

Robusto is a marvelous change of pace between my usual favorite styles. Quality ingredients, interesting flavors, fantastic smoking properties, and overall consistency make this one a winner.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)

(5/10/03) WOW! What a difference. I have openned a second tin of this tobaccy and after only five bowls, I am amazed at how good it is. I am convinced that the first tin I had was tainted/bad. I don't know how but the tobacco in the first tin must have been spoiled or something. Anyway, this new tin is great. The latakia plays a distint roll and I'm not found of latakia but the virginia and cigar leaf balance this smoke very well. As the name implies, this is a Robust smoke, not an all day tobaccy. For me, it starts out smooth and easy, like a good cigar and then builds in body and strength. It never becomes harsh but it does become quite Robust by the end of a bowl. This tobacco does not respond well to DGT but neither do cigars. My first review which follows, was based, I believe, on a bad tin of tobacco. (1st Review) Let me first say that I agree that Greg Pease is truly a Master Blender and maybe that's the reason I was kind of disappointed with this blend. My only hope is that aging it for six months to a year will help! Like I said, I may have been expecting too much but I was hoping for much more of a flavor with much more of a cigar leaf infusion, especially with what I believe is a Maduro Leaf. I've smoked about half a tin and this tobacco taste very much like an off tilt english blend, at least in my opinion. I rarely pick up on the cigar leaf flavor. Whatever the percentages of the blend are, I believe the orientals and the latakia should be cut in half and the cigar leaf doubled. Sorry!!! I really wanted to like this blend but it just doesn't work for me.

Stanislav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stanislav (1)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is good enough, though I actually expected a more definite smoking experience. It could be that this blend needs drying out a bit more compared to what I did. I have tried it in a Briar pipe, tried it in a corncob. A barely perceptable difference in taste. I will have another try in an unsmoked Meerschaum.

Both Latakia and cigar leaf are noticebly present. This is a kind of okay combination, but again - I would not call it exceptional, as far as my taste goes. I did not notice much in terms of Orientals.

Something tells me that I will have a different opinion, once I have had a few more smokes, after drying this one out a bit more. At the moment I just can not fully savour the bouquet. With all my respect and even admiration for the G.L.Pease blends - for now this is three stars.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

As a former "puro" smoker, I love to smoke a pipe tobacco with some cigar leaf mixed in. The problem is that the right balance is very hard to accomplish, ending up with mixtures where the cigar overshadows the rest of the tobaccos, or vice versa.

The only two mixtures so far that achieve that perfect balance are Billy Budd and Robusto. They are both a pleasure to smoke from the first puff to the very last one, being the former a tad more full- bodied and Latakia oriented.

pipe aficionado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe aficionado (4)

I tried Robusto some years ago and found it all right, but not remarkable. I didn't smoke it for a while, but I returned to it this year. I don't know why Robusto didn't appeal to me at first. I pack my pipe a bit more loosely than I used to, and that may account for the fact that the subtlety of the tobacco has become apparent to me only now. Both "creamy" and "spicy" are terms that have been applied to it. I agree and would add "austere" to these. Any apparent contradiction in the three terms only attests to the exceptional omplexity of the tobacco. Right now Robusto is at the top of my rotation. For my taste, it's only rival on the market is Peretti's Cuban Mixture, which is a quite different tobacco but equally fine. I don't care for cigars all that much, but I really love these two cigar-leaf pipe mixtures. (Like others, I lament the disapperance of Balkan Sobranie's Va. #10, my all time favorite.) Robusto packs perfectly and never disappoints. From the lightup to the very end, it is an outstanding smoke. Four Stars.

Idahosmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idahosmoker (8)

Where do I begin? I purchased a tin of Robusto today along with a large batch of various other tobacco blends and a couple of pipes - resulting in my local tobacconist closing up shop early to celebrate the rather large fortune he "stumbled upon..." but I digress...

Normally, I wouldn't write a review after only a couple of bowls, however this experience screamed to be described. So, here goes...

As one who thoroughly enjoys Burleys and Virginias, I decided to give this blend a try, even though I do not enjoy latikia at all - perique is my style. I confess that I was drawn in by the name (it sounds "manly!").

Truth be told, I was not expecting much as my luck with new blends has not been so "hot" lately. However, I was pleasantly surprised as Robusto reached out and knocked me off my feet!

I'm still trying to decipher the spice that has been lathered all over my pallet, but no complaints here as I'm enjoying it thoroughly!

I've smoked it in a fat bowl Savinelli and in a smaller Amadeus and noticed a slight difference in "bite quality." In the Amadeus, it didn't bite at all, however I had to be careful with the Savinelli as it did chomp down a couple times. Also, the smoke ran a tad bit hot in both. However, the room note reminds me of a southwestern campfire, and the flavoring is somewhat reminiscent of a good 'ol fashioned BBQ. Vitamin N is present in respectable quantities, yet not overpowering.

The tobacco came out of the tin with just the right amount of moisture, although it does burn rather fast.

In truth, I've never smoked a cigar and fully enjoyed the experience. I mainly smoke them occasionally due to some sort of perverted pleasure consisting of having a large bundle of rolled up tobacco smoldering in my mouth. However, I have become a fast fan of Robusto. If this is what a good cigar is supposed to taste like, I can see myself becoming a regular partaker!

I'm giving this 3 out of 4 stars simply because even though I love this blend, it's just too strong to be an all day staple. I'll have to stick with Big N'Burley for that. However, I will be smoking one or two bowls of Robusto a day, and am itching to try it after a hearty steak and potatoes dinner!

PS - I'm heading back to my local tobacco dealer tomorrow to purchase a couple more tins for my cellar! I do indeed recommend this blend!

jjacallen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jjacallen (6)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

If tobaccos were beers, this would be the Guinness.

Latakia needs something heavy to make it enjoyable. Most Latakia blends I have tried seem to use heavy sweetness of virginias or burleys for that purpose, and I disagree with that. This blend uses a completely different kind of heaviness, the cigar leaf; and it works perfectly.

Both the Latakia and the Maduro come unabashedly straight to the fore in a take-no-prisoners fashion in this smoke, which gets deeper and only slightly sweeter toward the end of the bowl. I certainly won't smoke this every day, or perhaps even every week, but when my tin runs empty I know I'll be buying another.

Tips: The flavour seems to be consistent regardless of what pipe I smoke it in, but as it is a bit dry from the tin I found that the best way to slow the burn a bit is to smoke it in a very narrow, deep bowl, and pack it a bit more tightly than I would normally pack other blends. This of course requires re-lighting a bit more often, but I don't mind that. Smoking in a wide, shallow bowl results in slightly cooler burn but it's gone in no time flat. It needs the thick plumes to get the full flavour. When it starts to cool off and get a bit whispy, it begins to taste a little musty or stale, so I poke it with a poker and give it more fire. It's best when hot, so be careful of your tongue and don't smoke two bowls in a row... ouch!

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent blend all the way around. I was looking for a straight forward cigar blend to enjoy after dinner. Robusto fills the bill nicely.

To me the cigar leaf takes a front seat in this smoke while the latakia and red virginia leaf adds both creamy and sweet highlights. It Produces a good volume of smoke on the draw and smokes to the bottom of the bowl with few if any relights. There is definitely some strength to this blend so I usually smoke it in a medium sized bowl.

A good and gratifying smoke.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is an "in defense of" and "in relation to" review. I've been trying several "cigar leaf" blends recently and found this to be the smoothest of the lot. I dedicated a Vesz raindrop to it; and perhaps it's a matter of pipe meets blend....pipe falls in love, but I really like this blend. Bankers was rainstorm wet and I just didn't taste the cigar component. As well there was a fruity sort of aroma to the tin. Habana Daydream is nice but perfumey and I found the cavendish stood out too much, (though I still liked it). I picked up the new Key Largo and will update this review following it. Billy Budd is latakia....then whatever. Robusto seems the closest in flavour to a cigar for me. Just the right moisture content, easy to pack, and great from "1st...to 5th whatever" part of the bowl. No bite in the least from this either. There are some great reviews here further down with descriptions far better than I could muster. Simply put, I recommend this very much.

Buddhamon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buddhamon (2)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a huge fan of cigars and a huge fan of GLPease I was intrigued when I heard of his Robusto blend. I expected that it would taste very similar to a fine cigar but I had no idea exactly how much Mr. Pease had hit the proverbial nail on the head. This blend is smokey and rich with full flavor. Anyone who enjoys a fine cigar should not hesitate to order a tin of this wonderful tobacco!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

I like cigar blends in general,and this one specifically.I normally favor Robert Lewis' "123" Mixture. This is equally as good, but a totally different style of blending is employed.In "Robusto" cigar leaf is the dominant flavor with an oriental/latakia component for support.This has a very American quality to it.The flavors are bold and strong. There is not a lot of subtlety going on here. Where "123" is an English blend with a cigar note,"Robusto" is is a cigar with a nice English pipe blend attached to it. Very good stuff! 3.5 of 4 stars.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

What a great cigar leaf blend! The flavor is spicy and rich with just the perfect amount of Cyprian latakia.This blend will NO doubt cellar well,and I've purchaed many tins for this purpose.If this blend appeals to you try "Fox's Banker's Mixture" and "Robert Lewis 123 Mixture" ===HIGHLY RECOMMENDED=== prep

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I smoked this blend for a number of years, having been at the time, both a cigar and pipe smoker. The fullness gave off a nice cigar sensation, although it didn't smoke like one. One problem, was that the leaf dries quicker than usual, even if the can is kept closed and that dryness made the smoke harsher. The initial smoke is plesant and different, and the fullness is satisfying, particularly to one who likes cigars. As one reaches the middle, the taste becomes noticably stronger, and can be too much for someone who only smokes pipes. I still like it now and then, but it's a blend best smoked relatively fresh and not kept around for a month or more.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

no use going into a long discourse on the taste of robusto, because the description above does a very good job of that. greg did name it properly, it is ROBUST. not a blend that i would smoke all day, but i rarely do that with any of them, i like variety. this is a tobac that goes well with a good dark beer. one thing that i don't believe i've ever mentioned in my previous GLP reviews is that greg gives you a FULL two ounces. those tins are really packed tight! this also helps the flavors to interact with each other, almost like pressed tobacco. what else is there to say? another great one from the master. four stars for robusto.

Pierre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pierre (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First cigar leaf pipe tobacco that I've quite liked, and above all, have been able to taste the cigar leaf. Greg wasn't kidding calling this blend well rounded. The richness of the cigar with a bit of Latakia makes for a great combo. The Virginias are a tad lost on me, but actually works out to my preference since I don't love VA's. I'll be putting this blend in my regular rotation, very good stuff.

Pipe Used: Eric Klodt Billiard and Dublin

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

I really liked this blend, but I didn't love it. Nice Virginias in this. I wish Mr. Pease would have used a slightly "heavier hand" with the cigar leaf.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I hate giving blends two stars, especially a GLP. This is three or even four for quality, but cigar blends just ain't my thing.

My tin is from 2002, opened in 2012. I can take it if I take it slow.

Of course, some say these tins from the early 2000s can deteriorate a bit...

At any rate, I'm smoking one more bowl, and giving the rest away.

Sorry, Greg.

Naw; it's not so bad. This pipe is nice. Maybe it needed this big Orlik pot. I'll give it my usual three stars, but I'm still giving the rest away. Only three bowlpacks left anyway, but then again, I already gave some away!

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Because Mr. Pease releases so many new and excellent blends, it is easy to overlook his original series. I like cigar blends in general and his Key Largo blend in particular but I ignored Robusto until recently. Fortunately for me, Pease blends move slowly at one of my local pipe stores so I've been able to secure several Robusto tins from 2009, one of which I've just finished.

Robusto has, to my taste, a bit more cigar note to it than Key Largo and marries superbly with a strong cup of coffee. I like it as a morning or afternoon smoke. Careful packing is a must because the ribbons are broadly cut with some occasional stem material. It produces a cool, slow smoke to be savored. I really like this blend and it, to my surprise, has moved into my regular rotation. It's worth a try for those who favor cigar blends.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (88)

Not as bold or cigary as i expected. Well combined tobacco's for a full flavoured smoke. By the end of the tin i was a bit bored by it.

Update 10/2014 Few more tins under the belt and really enjoy this. Did is say bored before? Must have been me and not the tobac.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)

I was curious to see what a "cigar blend" was like so I picked it up. Duh. Tastes like a cigar, which is fine if that's what you want. It was like a cigar was rubbed out, dried a bit and loaded. So for impersonating a cigar, Señor Pease, you did that well. That said, it doesn't rile me up enough to say much else. Threw away the rest of the tin due to so many opened tins. Maybe Key Largo will bring more to the table. I'll try that sometime.

One and done.

Check.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Rubusto greets the nose with a smoky, leathery scent. The appearance is mainly of tan ribbons with just a few darker ribbons. I prefer to rub the rough cut down a little bit so it packs with ease. The moisture content is just about right and dries quickly. Rubusto smokes very smoothly and the cigar notes really serve to enhance the blend. It isn't as sweet as my favorite cigar blend by Compton's of Galaschiel and is less “fruity” than Robert Lewis' 123 Mixture. The smoke is somewhat complex and quite smooth with a medium level of strength although some may find it stronger. Rubusto is a well done blend and lovers of cigar leaf blends will be pleased. I intend on updating this review after smoking a tin that I have with several years of age on it. Recommended.

Update 3/7/13: This blend ages very nicely! Well worth a spot in my cellar.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This review is based on a tin dated 11-19-07.

Robusto burns cool, but quickly. I noticed that compared to Key Largo, the virginia flavor was more in the background, and when it did show up, it was sweeter and more one-dimensional. KL, on the other hand, has a lot of round, robust, earthy virginia flavor. The latakia is a lot more in the foreground in Robusto as well. I found the flavor a bit sharp and salty for my taste, though this improved a bit over time (a common phenomenon with latakia mixtures, and GL Pease ones in particular). Definitely enjoyable overall and worth a try, just not as good, to my tastes, as Key Largo.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Tin: mmddy stamp on bottom is 10-2-07, OCT 2, 2007. Ripe fruit smelll of the VA is the main aroma, with perhaps smokey Latakia well in the background. Like other GLP offerings, Robusto has a variegated cut, with stems-poorly cut. Some of the stems were discarded. It is at the correct moisture level.

Packing & Burning: It needs to be packed tightly because it burns quickly.

Taste & Aroma: It definitely has a moderate cigar taste to it. It is smooth, not bitey.

Overall: Does not reflect my notion of what a pipe tobacco should taste like, and it is poorly cut; but Robusto is fairly smooth. 3 stars, if you like cigar in your pipe. The rest of the tin will be smoked in a corncob, to preserve the integrity of my briar.

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)

An unremarkable blend. Found that the cigar leaf & Latakia were MIA. Tasted to me like an unremarkable Virginia/traditional blend. If I'm feeling like a cigar blend I guess I'll stick with my Virginia Spice by Pipes & Cigars, thank you.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the second GL Pease mixture that I've tried. Perfectly balanced is the keyword. Actually that is what I look forward to into when judging most things. So I like this blend especially, even though someone asked me if I am smoking plastic or even if it chases away even cigarette smokers. What I recommend though, to fully enjoy it it needs it's own dedicated pipe.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Here with a difficult mixture. Easy to smoke,quite strong, pleasent sometime but this is all bla bla. Some years ago, in Italy, it was quite common to mix Dunhill Medium with toscano cigar ( kentucky very dry and strong). It was a cult and it showed how macho you can be. It wasn't bad but after a couple of bowls you had to throw up. Even if you smoked the second after a week. Now here comes Robusto, the viable way to Dunhill medium + toscano. Excellent but, again, beware, not for everybody. Let's be serious now. It' s excellent, three stars out of four because I fill my pipe seldom with it. Anyway I love to have it around, ready for a stronger and fuller smoke.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Quick impressions: This blend is not as harmonious as many of the other GL Pease blends. I found it relatively light compared to other cigar blends, including Key Largo (which is to my taste buds insanely full). I like C&D Habana Daydreams and H&H Strike Force better. I'm sure I'll smoke more of this, and develop my opinion further, but it almost feels like there's something missing in this blend... Oh, and I highly recommend tearing up the larger bits of cigar leaf before packing, otherwise the blend doesn't burn well. My sample had a pretty even cut for each of the components, except for the cigar leaf, which was much larger bits.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Musty, ashy, and bitter. Smells like garbage. Glad I tried it. Not for me.

Update: aged it for about six months and pulled it out. Still strong and bitter, but with a complexity that may be intriging to a cigar smoker. I add one more star.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

A top-notch blend, outstanding really, but so unique that it takes a lot of effort to love.

When smoked moist, straight from the tin, the cigar leaf overwhelms the other tobaccos.

If allowed to dry long enough, Robusto is a completely different experience. The Virginia dominates the first third of the bowl, and gives me a wicked tongue bite, despite the tin description above. Orientals make the middle third an exotic, flowery interlude. The cigar leaf and Latakia, in the background throughout, dominate the final third. The wrapper leaf is always present, but not overpowering.

Nicotine was evident only in the last third of the pipe, medium to strong.

I am a Virginia/VaPer/Burley man, so this kind of blend is not typical for me. I bring it out once a month when I want something exotic.

pipe pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe pirate (6)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I particularly didn'tcare for this blend.It seemed overpowering.Key Largo wasn't bad though.I think I'll stick to aromatic and/or english.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Heck yeah, when I want a satisfying smoke, I can depend on Robusto to deliver. Rich and full of flavor. Straight forward and stout like a dark, fat cigar, but softened up just enough to make it a silky smooth pipe experience. No, not a cigar in the bowl, but actually more rewarding, for me personally ...less acrid as the tobacco becomes richer.

The second half of the bowl is when the cigar personality really starts to come out. Slow puffing is essential so as not to dull the tongue and become overwhelmed with roasted richness. Cigar blends are now earning a spot in my collection.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you have trouble puffing gently, this tobacco will make you puff gently because as the name implies, this stuff is stout and robust. This is a stronger version of Red Rapparee and the orientals really stand out in this blend. Rich, smokey, and woodsy. The nicotene buzz doesn't knock you silly. It puts you in a sedated state of mind.

I rarely touch cigars anymore. Not because the pipe is cheaper. It's because I've never tasted a cigar that tastes as good as blends like this or C&D Mississippi Mud.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

I smoked it with a good cup of Kona this morning...and it was a delightful experience. The flavor from the tobacco blended with the coffee so well, creating a super creamy smooth flavor that had notes of spice and oak that would linger on the tounge. The tobacco smoked cool and has a pleasant note. I could not be more pleased with this blend....as time goes by I hope it just gets better

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A tobacco that I easily recognize as containing cigar leaf, both in the actual tin and definately in the smoke. I smoke cigars and enjoy them when I do. I just don't know how much I like the flavor when mixed with pipe tobacco. Overall, a solid performance. Good burn quality (not great), definate cigar flavor throughout, not one the wife will like to smell in the house though.

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Well done, when through smoking I feel like I do after a bowl of haddo's, darn good. Robust smoke, sweet zings and stout aftertaste. Love it.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I bought a tin of this with a recent order from C&D and I was pleasently surprised. This is a very stout blend from the first light to the final puff. The name says it all.

It does have a cigar like taste to it and is fairly well mannered for it's strength. I enjoy this much more than the cigars I have tried in the past.

I would describe it as sharp and bold without being bitey. Not smooth or creamy. I pick up a lot of earthy taste and some smokiness. There is also a distinct zing that hangs on the tongue throughout the bowl and a hour or two after it is done, I believe comes from the cigar leaf. Some with a tender mouth may consider this bite but I find it to be a pleasent aftertaste.

I would reccomend this as a change of pace blend. I will smoke it but not every day or all day.

I suspect this would benefit greatly from aging as well.

Update: This is great but it is basically a cigar for the pipe to me. I smoke it on the occasion that I want a cigar flavor to my smoke. I mainly smoke the pease balkans- abingdon, caravan, and charing cross when I want a pipe.

It may be just the thing for you if you enjoy cigars and pipes.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I´ll summarize it this way:

1st fifth of the bowl: good

2nd and 3rd fifths: tolerable to bad

4th fifth: very bad

Last fifth: an indescribable nightmare

I concluded this after many attempts in different pipe materials, shapes and sizes.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Typical of Pease tobaccos, this blend is heavy and bombastic with a bit of a bite and an offensive room note. The nicotine content makes it quite heady. If you want a good cigar blend, don't try this, try C&D Billy Budd or the now discontinued Dunhill Mr. Alfred's Own.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)

I love cigars and like cigar pipe blends quite a bit. These blends are usually English style (with virginia, latakia) with a small amount of cigar leaf added. They aren't meant to be a Montecristo No. 3 crushed into a pipe. In 2007, I smoked two tins of Robusto and enjoyed them. Like many of his blends, I think this one burns a little hot, but not too badly. Another smoker familiar with Robusto told me he thought it was "agressive". Maybe that's a better description. I do like Robusto more than most of the GLP blends, and I enjoy the balance of the different tobaccos in this one. I have a one year old tin and probably won't smoke it for at least another year. However, I have found "The Bankers" much smoother, more complex and I stocked up on that tobacco instead of Robusto.

It is worth a try and I will smoke it again, sometime. If you like cigars and pipes, I recommend trying a tin or two. If you don't like cigars there would be no reason to smoke this or any other similar tobacco. (Other than writing a negative review!)

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This isn't my favorite of the Pease blends, simply meaning I don't plan to purchase more -- he has many better offerings. This is one of the better burning latakia blends that Pease makes.

Spend your money on Westminster or Caravan.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I like a good cigar and have tried a few blends with cigar leaf and it is a hard combo to ?get right?. There are just times when one doesn?t want a smoke where you have to consider the myriad of flavors wafting in and out of the pipe, and these cigar blends fill that niche. Robusto is a nice strong tobacco with the hearty flavor of a Maduro cigar. My personal preference in this line is C&D?s Billy Budd, as it tastes a tad stronger to me.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

Blends containing cigar leaf always draw my attention. The cigar wrapper leaf used in Robusto is the most dominant player when it comes to smoke time. From the first puff, its unique spice was out front and center. A tang from the Virginias can also be found, and the Orientals fill in nicely. Latakia enters only in trace amounts. There is a fundamental strength to Robusto, and when inhaled without caution, my head can spin a bit. Regrettably, I found too much bite throughout the bowl. An interesting pipe-weed with some complexity; alas, it misses the mark with me.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Hello, not at all a bad blend but light on the cigar leaf. Not as good or rich aaaas McCllend Domincan Glory. Robusto taste like all GL Pease blends Heavy with a bite. If you are looking for a good English Blend with a bite this is it. Don't be turned off by the cigar leaf reffernces there is little in this blend. For A Cigar blend stick with Mccllend Domincan Glory by far the best.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I approached this blend with the idea that it would be the next best thing to a fine cigar in pipe tobacco form. That's not exactly how it plays out. I think the key phrase in the description is "the suggestion of the richness of a great cigar"--and that's exactly what it is.

You won't be smoking a cigar in your pipe here, but that's not such a bad thing, as this is still a great blend with a strong feel and a nice, round body. I am, though, puzzled a bit by the addition of Latakia. It's not the most dominant aspect of the smoke, but there's enough of it to outshine the maduro leaf. Despite the many choices of ingredients one has when blending, the supply of Syrian Latakia remains unstable. That's too bad, because I think the maduro and Syrian leaf would have complimented one another beautifully, as the Cyprian stuff used here seems to have too loud a voice.

I understand it must be difficult to capture the taste of a cigar in a pipe tobacco blend, as an excess of leaf could probably overpower one's senses, and might likely offend many pipe smokers who favor a different sort of characteristics in their smoke.

Many people here have said that if they wanted to smoke a cigar, they'd smoke a cigar. And, I agree. Still, I'll be on the lookout for the pipe tobacco blend that comes as close to the real thing as I can get. In the mean time..Robusto will do fine.

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Thick, tasty smoke with salty and spicy notes. It definitely reminds of a good cigar, with its very full (but not heavy) mouthfeel. It is robust, but also very creamy and smooth: this makes it very easy to accidentally inhale. I did inhale too much on my first bowl, and ended up dizzy: now I treat it a bit more carefully! In the tin it is rather dry, and feels very natural in looks and to the nose, with a slight leathery/chocolatey note. Cut is similar to the one of CUmberland, Cairo and other GLPease blends. The Latakia presence is rather low (few black specks), but if you pay attention you can feel its smokiness: not an overwhelming presence, but I suspect the blend would be less interesting without it. My only problem is that I don't much like cigars, but I doubt a blend with cigar leaf could be any better... Room aroma is rather nasty. Definitely unique. My only trouble is with the oriental presence: like in Cairo, I feel it has a rough, mouth drying effect. Probably orientals go fine with me only with heavy doses of Latakia...

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

I did not find this blend to be robust, though it certainly is good. If you are searching for a big cigar tobacco blast, this isn't your blend. If you are, however, looking for a blend of Virginia, Orientals, Latakia and Cigar leaf that is well-balanced without any one leaf dominating, this is the perfect choice. I would consider this to be a light Latakia blend. Virginias form the backbone, with the other tobacs enhancing the flavor with their individual characteristics. Perhaps the ultimate cross-over smoke?

Follow-up review: After finishing the tin, I am a bit disappointed in Robusto. Blending with cigar leaf is surely difficult, as there are so few blends of this kind. That said, this smokes a bit bland. The Virginia flavors that I tasted previously are muddled by the Latakia and cigar leaf. I was left with the impression that this tried to be many things, but didn't quite succeed with any of them.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

After reading Mr. Pease?s description of Robusto, I guess I expected more of a cigar experience with this blend. I re-read what he said, and adjusted my expectations after the first bowl.

Robusto is not like smoking a cigar. But then, I don?t really think it is supposed to be. After all, how many cigars have Va, Oriental, and Latakia in them? I find Robusto to be a Va / Oriental blend that is seasoned with Latakia and cigar leaf. The cigar flavor is more of a subtle suggestion than an outright statement. The cigar leaf combines with the Oriental and Latakia at different times to create some very unique flavors in a blend that has a great complexity such as a cigar could never hope to achieve. Smoked in a large bowl, Robusto has a noticeable amount of nicotine.

The room note, as stated before, will not make friends. Cigar people won?t care for it, because they will consider it to be ?impure?. Cigar haters won?t like it because, well, because they?re cigar haters. There is more cigar-like aroma in the room than the taste suggests.

Robusto will never be a favorite of mine, probably because I am not a cigar lover. I smoke a cigar on rare occasion. I believe Robusto will fall into that category as well. I won?t keep it on hand, for the same reason I don?t keep cigars on hand. It?s good tobacco, if you like that sort of thing.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Basically, it's like smoking a cheap cigar. In fact, it tastes and smells just like a cheap cigar. This is not a tobacco I would recommend to anyone who doesn't care for cigars. However, for those who enjoy smoking cigar leaf tobacco, this is probably something you may enjoy. I didn't.

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I purchased this blend looking for the complex flavors of the cigar.

Moisture content was just right out of the tin, and the aroma was full and complex with a definite cigar leaf note (not to mention the maduro flecks throughout). As many have said GL Pease is a great company and the best, I have seen for getting what you pay for. I do not think they could have stuffed anymore in the tin, unlike the last tin of CAO I had that appeared to be half empty (or half full).

Packing was very nice. Considering the introduction of cigar leaf to the blend, I decided to dedicate a pipe. The tobacco held a light nicely and smoked straight through the bowl.

Emerging flavors pepper, wood and tobacco, tobacco, tobacco. Let me just say that I have since gone back to this blend and this is a great blend, but it is not one to be taken lightly, it carries a powerful punch.

The room aroma is strong and not the type to win friends.

I am glad that I tried this and even more happy that I dedicated a pipe to it. Although I may be cleaning the pipe now, to return to the traditional ways of doing things? Cigars should have filler, binder, and a fine wrapper. Pipes are beautiful creations meant to hold wonderful blends of tobacco.

I may try this again but when I want a great Robusto with Maduro wrapper, I will just grab one from a box!

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

While making my rounds of some cigar enhanced English blends, I popped open a tin of Robusto. Initail greeting was that of a natural product, with a bit of a musty undertone. Tobacco comes slightly moist, as I prefer, and loaded was breeze, as are most Pease blends. The charring light was accomplished and so I settled in for a treat. Tobacco is well balance, Orientals, Virginia, Latakia, with what I detected as a Turkish varient, that seemd to mask the Maduro leaf. While not a bad smoke, it just didn't exite me, compared to Robert Lewis' 123, which has Havana seed leaf, and a different Latakia configuration, perhaps that is the difference? Robusto is a good smoke, but one that I won't cellar. I have tried this in various pipes and conditions.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong

Seeing a recent review of this GL Pease offering, I thought I would stick my oar in the water and muddy things up a bit. I have just tried a couple of bowls of this, so what I have to say here is not based on a full tin or more, as most of my reviews are. I must concur with RCUSElder that the room note was very strong.

If you are looking for a cigar taste, don't come here. That was what I was expecting, and I was disappointed. Which is kind of dumb in retrospect, as I have hundreds of well-aged cigars to chose from. And why should a pipe tobacco taste like a cigar, anyway? Pipe and tobacco smoking are really different experiences.

The one part of the experience that was cigar-like was the room note. Now personally, I just love the smell of fresh cigar smoke. I know I am kind of an anomaly there, it brings back fond memories of rodeos as a kid. However, most people, even ones tolerant of pipe smoke, HATE cigar smoke. In fact, one of the things that got me into pipe smoking in the first place was that it did not make me a pariah in semi-public places like a good fat maduro Mantequilla did.

My point? Robusto has all the social stigma of a cigar without that satisfying fermented buttery/bitter taste that is the cigar's unique reward.

My guess is that if I had tried Robusto w/o the expectations I brought to the experience, I would have found this a tasty, though not outstanding, quality tobacco from the esteemed GL Pease. I may try it again someday, now that I know what not to expect.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Well, this one is definitely unique. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted with medium to dark brown short ribbon, with an occassional black here and there. Packing is easy, lighting is easy too. Lighting is a breeze due to the perfect moisture. Initial flavor: yes, you can taste the cigar leaf, but it is well balanced with the other leaf. Very mellow and creamy at mid-bowl (best part for this one IMO). Slight increase in strength and bitterness toward the bottom. No tongue-bite with this blend. The room note will definitelty scare most people away. Overall, this is definitely a gourmet blend that might not satisfy the cigar smoker, but is enough for me as a change of pace from my beloved "balkan" blends. One warning: If you let this go out and sit for a while, relighting gives a terrible bitter flavor that made me dump it out and repack afresh. Rating 4 out of 5 points. Enjoy... P.S. You may want to dedicate a pipe for this one as the cigar leaf flavor will linger in your pipe for a while.