A full blend of Burley, Cyprian Latakia, sweetened Black Cavendish and Perique topped with a light flavor of coconut. In memory of a friend and fellow pipesmoker.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Taste

Coconut? Latakia? I tasted only whisps (I think), of both. Mostly my cheek and gums cried for more strength and flavor. Light and almost "Vanilla" in tast presentation, this one was certainly of good quality but not my cup of tea.

Aromatic fans may like this one as well as those who prefer laid back flavor and strength.

Lucas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucas (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Excellent blend. Vanilla topping is there, but not at all overpowering, and definately not artificial. The burley is the tobacco that is most pronounced, not the latakia. Goes well with a cup of joe. Has been in my rotation for 3 years.

Baron Von Costume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baron Von Costume (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this stuff because it sounded intriguing. Latakia and coconut? In the tin, this stuff smells like an old Thermos that somebody had left milk in. The coconut topping tasted artificial, like sun tan lotion and was rather weird in combination with the Latakia. It made me rather nauseous the first time I smoked it. Made another attempt awhile later, and can't get behind this. Threw this in the trash. I do not recommend this.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hate to be the lone dissenter, but this blend really did not grab me. I am confident that the tobacco in this blend was of good quality. The blend never got too hot, or clogged my pipe. I am just not a fan of whatever the topping they added and called coconut. The Latakia was muted and the Perique was minimal. What I think this blend is, is an aromatic blend with the addition of the traditional English tobaccos.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite an interesting change of pace for those who enjoy english blends. I recieved a sample with my recent order from C&D and smoked this in a cob to sample it. It is, as with every C&D blend, blended with the highest quality leaf. The "coconut topping" was VERY strong in the pouch, but is more refined while smoking it, and I could taste the coconut while smoking this blend. The only thing is, it does burn a little on the hot side, even with gentle puffing. And, as for the room note, my partner could not place a finger on what it smelled like to him, so I may be updating the review on that topic at a later date. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed smoking this blend, it took me a little while to get used to tasting both Latakia and Coconut at the same time, but all in all a top quality blend. Recommended!!

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Craig starks blend is ok for a latakia blend,but the wife gives me the look as in go outside till your done. The coconut that is in the blend I seem to not to detect it so im not very impressed with it. So in other hand Ill just use this in my mixer blends.

huffnpuff

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

a very good CD blend - the cocnut topping reference may throw you though, I guess if you used you imagination it is there. I like it but not easy to get a hold of. Has to be ordered.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not my cup of tea.... Might have benifited from some aging? Not sure- But the flavor was there in a mild way- But there is a secondary flavor- not coconut- but a chemically taste that i am sure was a a part of the flavoring- and it tainted the rest of the smoke for me. Maybe I'm sensitive....I like C&D blends. Try it and see....Good quality leaf though...

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I will rarely say something is amazing,but this truly is.It is labeled as an aromatic with Latakia and that it is.THe flavor is very rich,not complex-just rich.It is predominantly a burley blend with some perique and latakia for body and depth.Although the description says "a light coconut topping " the flavor of coconut is very pronounced.It again, is a rich not sweet coconut.It should be a crossover aromatic,but really,it is an aromatic with wonderful English components and body.In most of my reviews I find it helpful to compare a blend to something similar.In this case it was actually easy.In Milwaukee Wisconsin there is a wonderful shop called Uhles.They have something called IRISH AROMATIC.That blend is excellent,but this is spectacular!I wonder if C&D also makes that for them? A question to ponder. In any case you must try this blend. 4 of 4 stars!

mikej262 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikej262 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

First, my standard warning -- I am a new pipe smoker (less than a year)! So beware; I don't have the palate or the jargon down yet, but if you want to hear what a new pipe smoker thinks, read on. Ok, I really like Craig Stark's Blend! It comes in a very heavy plastic bag (at least my 2 ounce sample did), and upon opening, has a pleasant but "can't put your finger on it" smell. Not quite vanilla, but not quite coconut. The tobacco is brown and black, ribbon cut, packs easily in the pipe, and lights well. I've never had any trouble keeping my pipe lit with this tobacco; an occasional tamp is all that I needed. The smoke is very thick, and white (not gray, but white!). The best part of Craig Stark's Blend is that just when you think you're smoking too fast and going to get a bite, it backs off! I've never had tongue bite with this brand, and I tend to smoke pretty fast. I really enjoy the "tease" of the coconut topping, and at least for me, there is usually a mild kick from the nicotine. The aroma is not exactly displeasing, but not a crowd pleaser. It has a quality that I really like, for reasons I simply cannot explain. It must be complex beyond my present ability. C&D have a loyal customer in me for this blend, as I'm sure as I mature as a pipe smoker, I will find more and more subtleties to discover. C&D catalog this blend as a "premier latakia", meaning not really aromatic, not really english, but something inbetween.