Our second oldest blend ... rough-cut for slow burning. Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Burley.

BrandUhle's
Taste
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (75)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I do not normally smoke English blends but so from time to time at night. This mild English is unique in that it has burley and Syrian latakia for added flavor. I think the description is right on about having a steak like flavor, picture salt and pepper with a charcoal grilled aroma and taste. Really hits the spot if you enjoy mild to medium English blends that don't hit you over the head with latakia. O and btw as always Uhles uses the finest ingredients. A+ stuff here.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: Uhles mail order

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A well balanced smoke .. Enjoyable, no bite, and smoked fairly cool. The room note was Incense like.

I bought a one and a half ounce pouch of Blend #71 about a year ago and smoked a couple of bowls, lost interest, then tossed in it a drawer and forgot about it. Now, about a year later, while cleaning out the pipe room, I came across it and gave it another shot. Blend #71 is a well done, light English style blend. It smokes nice and cool and its very smooth with no bite. The flavor is not very complex and like all Uhle's tobaccos it is made with high quality leaf. #71 is the kind of blend that you can smoke all day without the need to pay much attention to it. The high quality Uhle's Burley comes through nicely and I think many folks will enjoy this blend. It just lacks the depth I'm looking for and I find it just gets boring for me. #71 is a two star blend for me, but it is so well done, I think it would be unjust to rate it under three stars.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Barking Dog with Syrian Latakia. Very nice Burley based blend and the sweeter, milder Syrian leaf added interest. Not a lot of depth here, but that's not a negative. It is a clean burning and easy to smoke all day blend that I am sure many pipers would enjoy. And with Uhle's, you know you are always going to get quality leaf.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Uhle's take on the American-English blend, particularly Middleton's Walnut. The two tasted similar - very smooth, with a fair bit of sweetness and a dash of spice to top it off. This was a chop-type cut. I saw some small cubes and some narrow ribbon, so it was sort of a mish-mash. Loaded very easily and burned properly.

This one smelled more like a haunted bookshop than the blend of that name from C&D. If there is such a thing as an "OTC aroma", this has it, along with C&D's Americana. The bag aroma reminded me of old books, musty and inviting. As I said above, the taste was a take on Walnut, at least the first half-bowl.

The 2nd half of the bowl is where things got interesting. This tobacco really evolved! The taste became very spicy as the sweetness burned down and the complexity of the blend really shined. This is a smooth blend, but the 2nd half shed some of this and the blend became more earthy and brazen. Yes, brazen! Stupid reviewer word, but it's what kept coming to my mind when I smoked this. It was showing off... cocky... and that was totally unlike the top half, even though the differing flavors themselves weren't that different. The 2nd half didn't get "stronger" as much as it simply grew more confident.

Interesting blend. I'm sticking with Bishop's Move, but this is definitely one to try if you want to experience Uhle blends. This one seems like a statement blend to me. Fun to smoke.

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Uhle's brochures and website now describe Blend 71 as "A classic medium blend, boasting the flavors of a medium-well done steak, this blend is the Uhle's patriarch of English blends. A solid blend to sink your pipe into. Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Burley." While change, especially in the area of pipe tobacco blending, is often not to be equated with improvement, here is the exception that proves the rule. Blend 71 is a complex and dependable American-English and the perfect all-day, all-season tobacco. You can pay attention and appreciate the nuances and interplay of the various constituents, or you can simply puff away contentedly while going about your business. If you think you don't like burley, try Uhle's burleys. They must have some special curing process, because their burleys are smooth and full of nutty flavor with none of the bitter ashiness which mar inferior varieties of the leaf. The side-stream aroma is sublime. Uhle's has been a Milwaukee and Wisconsin institution since its founding by Jack Uhle in 1939 for good reason--and the tradition continues today.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is really great if you like the Walnut type of thing. It definitely has more latakia than Walnut, but the tobacco is all of higher quality and the flavoring is less pronounced here, making a really great smoke. Uhle's is a revelation.

roberteconnors Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roberteconnors (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Excellent. I just keep coming back to this one. I'd say this is very close to JB Hayes' K2. Also similar to Middleton Walnut, but sweeter, and less nuttier and less smoky. Very mild English. Burns very well, dry fine ash. I'm going to try mixing it with Walnut. Similar blend I have reviewed is Iwan Ries Private Blend. Also suspect both are close to Spillmans.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lately I've been looking for a burley based smoke that would be a combination of old fashioned cube cut burley and a touch of VA and latakia. Kinda like what used to be more commonly available. I happened upon Blend 71 and I am done searching. This is it!! High quality burley, a smidge of latakia, I can barely taste VA and I know it says burned cav but it's nothing apparent. As others have said, don't mistake mild for anemic. This is a cool, slow and relaxing smoke for those who like excellent burley with a little latakia to keep it company but not take over the whole conversation. For a full english their Bishops Blend is, IMHO, one of the best of the genre. For everyday, knocking around quality smoking, blend 71 has my vote.

I am lucky enough to have once lived in Milwaukee where you could find Uhle's tobaccos in cardboard display stands near the grocery store checkout line. Now I find that a small local bookstore in my little town here in Minnesota has Uhles available as a sideline. I recommend, as others have, that your at least visit the website to check these great tobaccos out!

Classic American Latakia blend. Smooth and cool burning. If you need tangy orientals, or perique, it will leave you flat. I suspect it has just a bit of cocoa as a top dressing, and a little sweetener to smooth it out. Nevertheless, the room note probably won't win you friends.

Unlike so many homage blends, this is the real thing. It has been around a long time. Smooth, cedar-pine scented, burley-latakia goodness. It makes me think of the 1930s and 40s.

I like it a bunch, and it is certainly worth sampling.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

If one has never seen a Uhle's tobacco brochure, then one is missing a marvelous piece of American pipe-smoking history and an eloquent testament to truth in advertising. The late and much- loved Jack Uhle was an honest man, as honest as the tobacco blends that bear his name.

In the description of Blend 71, Jack told the story of how he had been afraid to use Latakia, and that a tobacco salesman helped him cross that Rubicon that led to Blend 71, the store's second- oldest. From there, Uhle sallied forth to create some "American- English" classics.

Blend 71 is just plain good, harkening back to a day when Latakia often appeaared in American tobacco blends. The names are the stuff of memory--Brush Creek, Crosby Square, Bond Street, Holiday. Aside from store blends from Pipeworks & Wilke, et al, the only one left is Middleton's Walnut. House of Windsor's Revelation, Barking Dog, and Country Doctor are not copies of the authentic tobaccos, though they aren't bad.

Uhle's Blend 71 stands above all of them. There is nothing here but tobacco, OUTSTANDING tobacco, as with all Uhle natural blends. Burley orchestrates the symphony...cool, nutty, just earthy enough. The Virginia component adds sweetness, but no heat. The black Cavendish taste is masked by the Latakia, but adds a plus to the room note for those not fond of the Cyprian weed. There isn't a bite to be found in any bowlful, and virtually any smoker will find something to like here.

An ideal warm weather smoke for those who MUST have Latakia, a nice change for the Burley fancier, a satisfying, tasty, all-day smoke. It will leave you mellow...and your pipe dry.

4/23/13 This venerable blend has evolved, and now has even more to recommend it. For some reason, there is a wonderful presence of genuine Syrian Latakia that I have not found in other Uhle's blends. I cannot define the difference for those who have never savored the Syrian weed...but, if you give Blend 71 a try, you will define it for yourself!

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

Everyone reading this review needs (I mean it) to call Uhle's and try their tobaccos. Sure there are alot of good tobacs out there on a larger production basis. But if you are in search of delicious, hand-blended, small-batch, high-quality tobaccos that are not high-volume or high-production, then search no further. I mean really . . . as much as I like a pretty tin or cool label art . . . it is the tobacco that matters.

Uhle's has some wonderful burley blends (the best in my opinion bar none) but also some really delicious Latakia blends along with some aromatics. As for this tobacco - it reminds me of an old-fashioned burley/latakia blend with a bit of very natural sweetness. Probably a great choice for an English smoker looking for a change of pace in the summer months when that thick English flavor is a bit too much. Easy to pack and light and a super-clean burn all the way down. No PG or anything un-natural.

Call Uhle's and you will not be sorry. We pipe smokers must support a grand old company like this one.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

blend 71 is pretty good for a mild english smoke and I think it is not bad to blend with other of uhles blend also. The burley goes with latakia in harmony and keeps the smoke dancing on my tongue .I got no tongue bite, but on the bad side and my wife does not care for the smell at all.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

Lord help me if I should ever lose my taste for burley or become so hardened by English mixtures that I could not appreciate a tobacco like this! The predominate taste is a wonderful, nutty burley, with overtones of latakia and a bit of sharpness, perhaps from the Virginia. The room note is pleasant for a non-aromatic. It is rather finely cut so not a problem to keep lit. If I were an all-day smoker this could fit the bill. As it is I content myself with one or, at the most, two pipefuls per day, and this is a very satisfying smoke when employed in that manner as well. If you enjoy a non-aromatic burley blend with enough latakia to add interest, then you can't go wrong with this one.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The late John Bognar (whose artwork graced the pages of the Ephemeris) spoke highly of Uhle's blends, and the service he received from the shop. It was inevitable that a burley fancier, such as myself, should give Uhle's a try.

I am still experimenting with their blends; so far two things are true. They are quite honest in describing their tobacco as mild. And, Blend 71 is my favourite, so far.

Please don't mistake mild for weak or defecient, though. Blend 71 is, perhaps, not suited for the one or two bowl a day man who's looking for a mighty whallop of flavour. Rather, the burley is soft, friendly, and flavourful; just slightly nutty, hardly earthy at all. The opposite end of the burley spectrum would be, say, Edgeworth Slices. Even though 71 is described as non-aromatic, I would declare that there is a slight topping, very similar to the flavour in many of the McClellands blends. But Uhle's applies this with the lightest of touches: the tobacco is not at all "goopy"! Along with the burley there is a touch of Virginia, and Cavendish, each providing their sweetness. And the latakia. A perfect amount of the smokey leaf for me; just a suggestion, I know it's there, but it's not at all overpowering.

Wonderful.

A few days ago, just to see how it would perform, I loaded up my pouch with 71 and smoked it exclusively. At home, at work. Indoors and out. the first pipe of the day, and the one that closed the night. I was never less than content with the easy, non-biting smoke, and those about me were quite complimentary about the aroma.

I'm quite impressed!