None provided.

Taste

canadianpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canadianpipesmoker (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I personally really did not enjoy this tobacco at all. I found it almost sour tasting and I tried it out of multiple pipes. I will try blending and see what happens...

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

I love this stuff. I feel like I'm smoking vanilla ice cream. The flavor is a little bland,however. I could use heavier tobacco and vanilla flavoring,but definetly an aromatics dream!

UPDATE*

The more I let this stuff age the worse it gets. I just threw the remaining aside and if any one would like this last 2 OZ please let me know. It was very good at first but now with taste buds becoming stronger It feels like I am smoking vanilla flavored wood.

bswails1384 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bswails1384 (7)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This tobacco to me is not too bad on its own but is better suited as a blending tobacco. The aroma out of the bag is awesome. One almost wants to eat it rather than smoke it, it smells that good. It burns very cool in the pipe. However there is little or not strength or flavor. I could hardly tell I was drawing smoke in it is that mild. My wife loves the aroma so i will probably keep some for around the house smoking.

I found Gawith's Bobs Chocolate Flake way too strong for my liking but when blended with this it makes a really good smoke.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Vanilla Black Cavendish - yes, there you have it.

This is a classic combination that seems to always work, though this is by far the best I have ever tried. First off, it is now one of my regulars,, an instant personal favorite of mine.

McClelland has solved two of the conundrums of the "cased cavendish" genre with this blend - it doesn't smoke wet or hot like many others do. Also, it is no harder to keep lit than any of my other "premium" blends and burns continuously if puffed steadily. I do let my pipe go out on purpose during the smoke, no matter the blend, so re-lights are not an issue for me.

There is tobacco taste here, though folks used to the likes of Nightcap will likely not have the taste bud sensitivity to detect it. The vanilla is strong, as it was meant to be, but very pleasant.

I get the most flavor from this blend in a churchwarden, though this is my favorite style pipe for all my blends.

The character of this blend matures mid-bowl and seems to reach its full richness and tobacco taste from there on, the vanilla really coming into its own, working WITH the cavendish for a satisfying finish.

"Vanilla Black Cavendish" - yes that is its name - not "Ultra-spice Perique"

It's Vanilla,,

It's Black,,

And it's Cavendish,,,,,,

And it's a good one, enjoy it for what it is.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I ordered several pounds of this through Knox Cigar and used to smoke this exclusively a couple of years ago. It is moist and some people don?t like that however in the case of this tobacco it makes you just want to eat it right out of the bag it comes in. I love vanilla and this is full of it. It burns very nicely and the room note is super. My wife really used to go on and on about the smell and practically begged me to smoke this stuff. I even got several compliments in public from complete strangers when I was smoking this. For a black Cavendish this is a five star. I?ve moved on in recent years to more tobacco flavor and away from the candy however I not so sure I won?t end up with more of this one day.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Gag! This stuff remindes me of why I hate aromatics. Tastes like the Yankee candle company smells. Sickening essence of vanilla and hazelnut. PG for days. I don't think its possible for this one to ever get dry. Gag me with a spoon. If I want something this sweet I'd rather have dessert.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10

After Taste = 10

Raw Score = 60

Rated Percentage = 100%

Comment = WOW this McClelland VBC is fabulous, Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow and has a wonderful Vanilla Tasting Flavor. This blend is way better than Lane Limited BCA. If you like vanilla tobacco than this is perhaps the best you will ever smoke. It is very rare that I give a blend a 100% Rating Score

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend is what i thought House of Windsor's Argosy Black and Classic Cavendish would be. This is an Aromatic smoker's holy grail. Good tobacco is used to make the cavendish (it is a Mclelland) and it tastes like toasted marshmellows and Butterscotch mixed in a German Chocolate Cake as mentioned above. I liked this blend alot and i bought a half pound from Knox Cigar, opening the bulk bag is like walking into a Bakery! Burns nicely without too much goo but also blends nicely with just about everything.

Incanus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Incanus (3)

All black and very moist. This blend smells wonderful, Butterscotch and Vanilla. The taste was very mild, I was hoping for a little more flavor from this blend. It is a crowd/wife pleaser and smoked nicely with little gurgle. As with most aromatics it leaves me wanting more of something.....Taste!

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have always been an unabashed lover of rich aromatics. I stray to other types of tobaccos to keep my hand in so to speak, but always return, searching, for that one perfect blend for me. For the past several years like Diogenes carrying his lamp looking for an honest man, I have carried my diamond head matches, looking for that "perfect" tobacco. So many aromatics, so many pouches of pedestrian, unsatisfying stuff. I wanted something that actually tasted as good as it smelled. Shortcut to Mushrooms certainly made that cut. Wicked good stuff that. But I finally, finally found a tobacco that was right in my wheelhouse McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish. Smells great,and wonder of wonders tastes just like it smells. It's a rich creamy satisfying smoke from the initial light, to the end. It's slightly moist in the pouch, but I'm a man who prefers it that way. Haven't had problems keeping it lit. Usually not more than one or two relights in a 45 minute smoke, which is probably the result in how I pack it rather than the tobacco itself. There is no fall off in the favor during the entirety of the smoke although I can detect different stages of flavor throughout. Never turns bitter. Sometimes it smokes a little damp, but I've never had pipe gurgle with this one, and the dottle while not always burned to ash, has never been goopy or nasty. I've tried it in several pipes at differnt times of the day in differnt environments. There have been some tobaccos that tasted good once or twice then tasted like bland dreck forever after. McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish has never dissapointed. Its way better in my opinion than BCA. Now you have to actually like aromatics, and not just because people think it smells good. I can see why some folks think it's a good blender, but as for me, I like it straight, baby. Smooth & tasty, rich vanilla and something like hot buttered rum or butterscotch Whatever it is, they done it right. When I die I want my ashes mixed with this tobacco and placed near my favorite pipe before they jar me up. Good luck and Good smoking.

pghmod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pghmod (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When it comes to aromatics, this is the best I've had thus far... simply an amazing experience every time. It's the most reliable tobacco in my rotation. It feels wet to the touch, but smokes cool and dry. The casing is just right, not too overwhelming (but obviously you must appreciate aromatics to begin with). I would easily recommend this to any beginner as their first pipe tobacco, but also recommend it to any experienced pipe smoker as what is truly a magnificent enjoyable smoke.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This has to be the best vanilla cavendish in existence. It has a hint of buttery rum in there too by my taste.

My regular website sent me a sample, I think they just sold a pound, or two. This stuff is only 20 bucks a pound too.

Good decent quality ingredients make this a winner. Definitley an all day smoke candidate for me. I normally smoke straight va's. This is good enough I will smoke it some days to mix things up. It smoked dry and cool for me straight out of the bag with the smallest dottle I've ever had from a black cav- and it was raining when I smoked it. Not my usual experience- I usually have to dry anything else I smoke, not this. I put it in a mason jar to keep it fresh.

The pouch aroma made me say wow! This smells so good. If you like this type of tobacco you will enjoy this a lot. It lights/burns well and very non goopy for this type of tobacco.

A dessert tobacco for the smoke it instead of eat it crowd.

Good in a shallow bowl.

I highly reccomend you try some, The taste is so, so good. This is the height of black vanilla cavendish I believe.

You can not make this bite, Great for beginers or seasoned smokers. Great for when you need a break from strong tobacco's

I think max is right, this would make a superb blender.

Also a lot more people would "get" pipe smoking if they made this their first smoke. If you can't handle this then pipe smoking is not for you.

A few relghts required but it tastes so good I don't care.

Update: great cavendish but honestly I rarely ever smoke it. I am all about balkans these days.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Plain old Vanilla Cav. I don't think there is a pipester that hasn't tried a straight Van/Cav at some point or another. I prefer to use this as a flavoring agent for other blends, that frankly, have an unpleasent taste to me (any recent tobacco from "Dunghill" for example). When mixed with a blend with a large Latakia content, it makes for a very unique flavor treat. Smoky campfire, toasted marshmallows MMMMM!

This is solid Vanilla Cav. and is up there with the best of that particular animal. Burns fairly clean, can't bite and has a great smell that won't quit. Better or as good as C&D Green River Vanilla and much superior to Lane LTD's bulk version.

Other uses...if you have a sour old vintage briar or meer that you just can't get turned around no matter how much hot alcohol and salt you use on it, just smoke a couple dozen bowls of this through it. Also effective for smoking at places where smoking is VERBOTEN. No one is going to recognize this as having any sort of tobacco odor.

Funny anecdote. Hunter S. Thompson would mix hashish with heavy vanilla cav and smoke it in public.

(DISCLAIMER I do not advocate the mixing of hashish with Vanilla Cavendish tobacco nor do I recommend or advocate anything that Hunter S. Thompson may have done in his lifetime except writting books and making millions of dollars)

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Best used as a blending component as the vanilla casing is very rich to the point that it smells and tastes like butterscotch. I use it in a 50/50 mix of Lane HS-3 and VBC. If you're looking for a black Cavendish to smoke by itself, you would be better off with Lanes BCA, which is much smoother and contains less casing.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Being not too big of a fan of straight Cavendish blends, This was kind of set to fail. So just my opinions, the taste was awful, and it did burn quite a bit. You can counteract this just by smoking slower, but just kind of ruins the point of such a light tobacco.

For the good parts. It does smell pretty good. Yeah.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

Age When Smoked: 3 or so years

Purchased From: Local Shop (Smokedale WI)

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (19)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I bought a 10g sample of this one, and tried it out immediately after receiving it. Smell out of the baggie is very strong. Like a vanilla liqueur. The tobacco seems heavy and really coated with a casing. Might have been a little moist to start with.

It's an OK smoke. Not really anything special, but not really anything too negative about it either. Worth a try if you want a vanilla aromatic.

I'd probably limit myself to buying samples if I'm in the mood for it.

Room note is OK as well.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Petersen Rustic

Age When Smoked: smoked immediately after purchasing

Purchased From: http://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/en/

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

VBC is a really mild, sweet, and pleasant smoke. Easy on the palate and an excellent choice for the beginner. A good option for anyone who wants to enjoy a sweet aromatic smoke. I like Lanes BCA a little bit better, but many like this more than BCA. Either way you can't go wrong.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't now, nor ever will buy tobacco based on room note alone...That being said, this is a pleasant--not great--not wonderful smoking tobacco...It is what it is...An all day, pay no mind vanilla black Cavendish...Kind of heavy on the vanilla...Would not buy again.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

after hearing about this being the top of black Cavendish blends, I had to try it (since I am an aromatic/BC smoker for the most part). it is a good smoke but not superior to the lane bca (or smokers pride black Cavendish for that matter) although they run in the same vein, they are different in taste. this one is more buttery in taste and the vanilla is less pronounced in taste. it is less humid although heavily cased. it takes the fire very well and leave minimal dry dottles. the room note is pleasing and the after taste is appealing. mild all day smoke for aromatics and black Cavendish lovers.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

...While not a Black Cavendish smoker for the most part, I decided to assess 10 different Black Cavendish tobaccos... the last time I smoked a BC tobacco was in 1978.

Overall, this is a very good tobacco...not as "goopy" overly sweet, or the heavy casings/toppings you normally see. Burn characteristics are quite good and the taste and aroma are first rate.

Of the 10 tobaccos I've tried, this would rank in the top 3. A bit more smoking over the next few weeks and I will update this review.

If you're a BC fan...this is a great one to consider. All my testing has been in a group 4-5 size pipe.

...a pipe is to be savored...

portugesepride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portugesepride (7)

Simply put - This has been my favorite vanilla aromatic so far. No complaints at all. I want to sleep on a pillow full of this stuff!

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Best aromatic blend I have smoked. Also very cool smoking, great blender for the hotter burning blends. Tin aroma is pretty amazing.

TheBaron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBaron (2)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

What a great tobacco!! I bought 8 ounces of this and have been smoking it in a missouri meerschaum General. I didn't want to flavor up my briar's but the cob works great for this baccy. This doesn't have much of a nicotine kick but it smokes smooth and cool with no bite and I love the vanilla butterscotch flavor. Definitely and all day smoke with no complaining from bystanders about the room note...I need to order some more as the 8 ounces is going fast. Did I mention that this stuff takes a light and stays lit for the bowl...amazing for a McClellan's product.

kola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kola (2)

The bowl of VBC that I am smoking now is about 2 years old. The tobacco is still sticky and moist. The short ribbon cut makes packing quite easy.

The flavor and sweetness have mellowed some, but there is still no doubt that this tobacco was heavily cased. Tons of sweet vanilla, and the burning sugars add a sensation of over-cooked (but not burned) caramel. The room note is pervasive and pleasant.

This tobacco can bite somewhat if puffed too hard, or if it is packed too wet, so sip with moderation. This is a great aromatic for newbies and mild 'baccy lovers.

Kin3ticwav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kin3ticwav (3)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a great blend for the novice pipe smoker. As one of the first flavored blends I had ever bought this one holds a place on my shelf to this day. It is a very sweet tobacco with strong vanilla flavoring that to me, was very pleasant to smoke. I had read somewhere that VBC tends to get stale and bitter after you've kept it around a while but I have never had this issue with it.

The room note is fantastic and the flavor kisses the tongue with every puff. There is no bite from this one and to me, it encompasses everything I imagined pipe smoking should be growing up. I will warn this one is VERY sweet. A dessert tobacco to be sure. I would certainly give this one a try. I love it.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)

If I only had VBC to smoke it would be allright with me. This Tobacco burns well, has good flavor and good tobacco quality. This is much better than BCA. This is very close to Midnight by Tinderbox with Midnight having a better smooth Cavendish Tobacco flavor. The price is good for the quality at paylesspipes.com.

Three stars and maybe four.

No, I do not work for paylesspipes or get any money for endorsements.

infowars.com= Save the Repbublic by being informed.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The aroma is wonderful. That's about it. I purchased a lot of this blend after reading the reviews here, and this is not one of the best aromatics I have smoked. It is prone to a very foul and sour moisture quite easily. It tastes incredibly bland, sometimes even sour. It is great if you can tolerate these shortcomings, as it does have a very pleasant aroma. Overall though, I wouldn't purchase more of this blend. There are plenty better and more balanced aromatics out there.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I bought a sample of this tobacco and let me say, I am going to buy a pound. This blend smells so good in the pouch, I mean REALLY good. I expected a very hard/harsh smoke because of the great smell, I was pleasantly surprised by mild smoke. The flavors of this tobacco are not nearly as strong as you would think by the odor of the unsmoked tobacco. I have smoked it in a cob, with a filter, without a filter and in my briars, this is good stuff. I would PREFER a bit more sweetness but think I can add a touch of something to fix it up for my tastes. I plan on carrying this tobacco with me wherever I go, there is no way a non smoker is gonna complain when they smell this tobacco in the pouch. Keep away from children, it really smells good enough to eat! Really recommend this blend to fellow novice pipe smokers, very good stuff!

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)

As a man who loves pipe smoking, from fancy to simple, aromatics are in a class of itself. This is one of only a very few VBC,s that just delights its self all alone in a simple cob or apple wood pipe. If you were to smoke this alone I would recomend you put a filter to this, it is cased a bit heavy, so to compensate the gurgle you may come upon if your puffing a dad to fast. As a huge fan of McClelland, let me share a great summer time smoke, mix this with 2 parts Pal O mine and One part VBC, I like to keep opened tins in those glass jars with the rubber rim snap shut lids,...Give it a good shake in the jar, leave it for a week, open the lid just enough that air gets in without fully opening the lid, give it a day, and boom!!!, peaches and cream baby, sweet and rich, its summertime stuff, like warm humid evenings, honey suckels, and tree frogs, yea man, its down home, simple, straight or blended, 3 stars, not including the million stars you will be gazing at as you smoke and ponder in the heat of the nite, you won't be disapointed,... Not if you like VBCs. Happy smoking, and a wonderfull summer to all of you, HAPPY JACK

stpatsbaby45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stpatsbaby45 (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

After 45+ years of smoking a pipe, I have finally found the aromatic I have been looking for. It burns white ash to the bottom of the bowl, and the taste is constant from the beginning to the end. The taste to me is like Butterscotch and Vanilla, a truly pleasant mixture.

panfolk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panfolk (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet to the point of being slightly nauseating to my palate.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely fantastic Black Cavendish! Very similar to Iwan Ries' 3 Star Ebony. Dry, cool, and a lovely honey/vanilla taste and aroma. A good blender and outstanding on its own. For the lovers of sweet aromatics this is a must try. 4 stars.

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

this is the best aromatic i've had so far. smells incredible, lights well and stays lit. tastes good and much better than most vanillas i've tried. one day i may end up blending this with a burley or something with a little more strength. but i'll keep purchasing it and enjoying it as is. highly recommended aromatic.

BriarBreather Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBreather (8)

When I first opened the pouch, I was not sure this was really vanilla. I have to agree I thought it was more like a sweet Butterscoth. I didn't smoke it until I let it dry some because it was very moist right out of the pouch. After an 8 hour dry on a baking sheet, I smoked this in a savinelli "clarks Favorite" pipe without the balsa wood filter. The first half of the bowl had very little flavor, and was very mild. It stayed lit very well, but again, the flavor was not there for me. The second half smoked a little better, and although it was still a very mild smoke, the vanilla flavor did make an appearance at the end. My opinion is this would be a nice tobacco to blend with a burley. I can't see me smoking it by itself as the flavor is just to mild for my taste. I would say this is a great smoke for someone who is just starting out. Its better than alot of aromatics I started with I know that.

sportspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sportspipe (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A good bulk aromatic. Very wet out of the pouch/bag. however, I laid mine out on a baking sheet on top of some wax paper and stuck it outside for a few hours in the open air to dry out and then popped it back in a glass jar to relax.

I'd say with a little TLC you shouldn't have a problem with lighting, smoking and bitting issues.

Flavortone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flavortone (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

i purchased this tobacco looking for a good vanilla aromatic. this definatley is a very good vanilla aromatic. however i personally dont like it that much. i enjoy puffing at my pipe after the bowl is loade but before i light just to get a good feel for the flavor and i think with this tobacco the vanilla is alitle to strong. it reminds me of the circus for whatever reason. i enjoyed it but am going to try blending it with something because it definatley is a good vanilla. overall its a great tobacco just seems a little tacky by itself and am looking forward to blending it

billbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billbo (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I love this tobbaco , my wife loves the room note. I will not gum up your pipe is smoks cool and has an excellent flavor.I very seldon have to relight my pipe a real pleasure to smoke. Do not try if your a fan of non- Aromatics You will not like this .

bl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bl (8)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This has to be one of the coolest smoking aromatics I've ever tried. For me it tends to be a bit difficult to light and get going, but once it does start to burn it stays lit well. Even though it says vanilla in the name, the aroma really reminds me of butterscotch. The room note is fantastic, too. It doesn't deliver much in the taste department, but I don't think this blend was meant to. Taken for what it is, (an extremely flavored tobacco) it is a good blend. Don't expect to taste tobacco here. But if you want something mild, cool, great smelling, and something you don't have to pay attention to while you smoke, this is it.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I first received this, the smell from the first opening of the bag was so powerful and repulsive, it made me gag. I almost threw it out, but with not having a decent tobacco shop near my home, this was a mail order, and I thought about just setting it aside as a blending ingredient, or trading for another tobacco with a pipe smoking friend. I decided to try letting it sit out on a flat baking pan, covered with cheese cloth and letting it sit out in the warm summer air. Eight hours later, it was a delightfully rich smelling result, vanilla, figs and raisins was what I got from the pouch. The smoke was light and mild and I was complimented several times by passers by (I sit on my front porch to smoke) about the aroma. It's a good tobacco for a beginner, not a lot of real depth, but still a good one to keep on hand.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A decent black Cavendish blend. You must of course love vanilla. This is a perfect blend for the "smoke instead of eat dessert" crowd. Not as goopy as some.

Appearance= Solid Black.

Bag Aroma= German Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Icing.

Texture= Moist German Chocolate Cake.

Room Aroma= My wife liked it.

Taste= Deep Vanilla most of the way down. Minty vanilla thru nostrils.

Verdict= Vanilla Connoisseurs; this is it!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As Vanilla aromatics go this one is one of the more tolerable. I would never consider smoking this without letting it dry out for a day or two. I am not often an aromatic smoker, maybe a hand full of bowls a month, but this one is one of the few that I consistently grab. The thing about it is that I always want a bit more and I just never seem satisfied with the result. This one mixed with bulk no. 710 Columbian mocha and any good quality white burly is a good smoke. I am just not enthusiastic about it by its self.

Shard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shard (4)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm not sure if this is even the right tobacco. I bought some McClelland Vanilla Black in bulk from my local tobacconist, but what I bought is more like triangular flakes than ribbons. The pouch smell is simply outstanding, like sniffing a vanilla bean. This tobacco smokes very smoothly, almost too smoothly though, as I end up inhaling a lot of the smoke by accident most times I smoke it. I ended up mixing it about 50/50 with some Stokkebye Black Majesty, and it smokes much nicer, though a bit too lightly still.

Overally, a very nice tobacco. Among my favourites so far. And definitely my favourite when it comes to the room note afterwards, it smells wonderful!

I give it 3 out of 4 for both the inhalation problem, and the fact that it smokes very wet and leaves my bowls gummy after smoking.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the first Vanilla flavoured Cavendish I've tried that wasn't goopy.This jet black cavendish,(how come we say jet black? The only black jet I ever saw was the SR-71.) Tastes quite nice,and the room aroma is delicious. Smokes down to the very bottom without a single bite.

Women will through themselves at you when you smoke this around them. I'm married, so I'm sticking to something else,one woman is enough.

Remember, I'm looking out for ya,we're all in this together.

Dulcimerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dulcimerman (7)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This dark black blend is what a mild aromatic should be. It packs easily, lights well, and stays lit despite the casing. I had no problem with the moisture accumulating. It has no bite whatsoever and is extremely mild with a wonderful vanilla aroma. My wife loves the pleasant room note. Although I primarily smoke the latakia blends, this new blend from McCelland -& Blue Note -remain my favorite change of pace tobaccos.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Black Vanilla which it also goes by is a very good (automatic) tobacco. I thought that it had a good taste as well as a very nice roomnote. Great for an after dinner smoke, or before bedtime. Highly recommended smoke! MZMN 12-22-04

Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with the "good blender" comments. Very bland flavor by itself. Smells great though. A bit on the wet side. Coarser cut than most helps it burn better than most Aromatics. Three stars only in the American Aromatics catagory.

Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I really don't know how to rate this tobacco since it all depends on how you look at it. By itself it is very bland and lacks the fuller flavors of other Black Cav favorites like Argosy and BCA. As a blender however, it knocks the socks off the others. This stuff will blend with most any tobacco, and add a subtle Cav. flavor that won't overwhelm the rest of the blend. Good stuff when used correctly.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I love a good Vanilla tasting tobacco and this one is Great! I find it even better when I blend this with my Virginias and Burleys. I want to say this is one of favorites, but I find I smoke more of it when it blended than it is on it's own.

German Chocolate Cake with a Vanilla Icing I like that discription

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Seriously wet sweet stuff. Went straight through it. If you like cased tobacco, then this is the stuff.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm really not much on black cavendish tobacco. I usually will not purchase a blend if it has too high of a percentage of the black stuff. I bought this strictly as a blending tobacco to tame some of the harsh or too strong blends I have on hand.I was pleasantly surprised by VBC. I haven't tried Lane's version but I can't imagine it being any better than this. Yeah it's sweet and heavy on the vanilla but not cloying and there is some hint of tobacco taste. It burns cool,doesn't bite or get goopy.I never would of expected it but I do occasionally smoke a bowl of this straight. It's a bit much to take on a regular basis but when I get the old sweet tooth going this works fine.

As a blending component to tame some overly spicy Virginias or a Va/Per that may have too much Perique for your tastes this works wonders. I now have reclaimed a lot of blends that I wasn't enjoying. It doesn't turn them into super blends but it makes them enjoyable enough to polish off the ignored offending blends.

Smoked straight it rates 2 1/2 stars. As a blending component I give it 3 1/2 stars.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (36)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I ordered a few ounces of this based on the recommendations here. I love vanilla and am always looking for a new one to try. When I opened the bag, this about knocked me on my ass. It smells like candy in the pouch. Sadly, this aroma does not translate off the match. It is not bad, just so very mild that the vanilla does not come through on the room note or taste. This is very pleasant smoke. Nothing offensive about it at all. It burns very clean for such a very dark cavendish. I agree this would be a great blending ingredient with say, a good, rich burley. I don't think I would buy much of this to smoke just on its own. But if you like aromatics and want to know what "just" vanilla is like, this is a good choice.