The Scottish clans kept midnight vigils guarding their post. It was called Black Watch! The uniform plaid they wore for the duty has thus earned the name, as has this variation of the traditional Scottish Blend. With added Latakia to keep the guards alert, and a wee bit of spice to mellow the mix, this BlackWatch stands true to the name around the clock!

BrandThePipeRoom.com
Taste
Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: 5-21-07

I love this stuff, just bought a whole pound and cellared some. Its very similar to Frogmorton by McClelland. This is a wonderful Scotish mix that everyone from the dedicated English smoker to the confirmed aromatic smoker should try. This will be my everyday smoke for a long time to come - giddy! :)

(First review below)

I'm pleased to have my first review as a positive one.

Black Watch is a true Scottish mixture. The Latakia comes through with a solid flavor and aroma. The Virginias and Cavendish work well together and balance the blend. The spice flavoring is light and pleasant, not fruity but more akin to incense. The mix lights well and has nearly perfect moisture content on arrival, though a little drying improves the experience.

Salt and pepper! In a good way! I had no idea I would ever smoke a tobacco that could taste like this.

This blend does grow a little stronger towards the bottom of the bowl, but not in an unpleasant way, at least to my tastes.

All I can say is this blend has made a Latakia fan of me.

I can imagine English lovers would like this blend. I would characterize this blend as 10% spice and 90% tobacco aroma and flavor.

Again, I find the spice very light and if I am focused on the Latakia, I can ignore the spice all together, forgetting it?s even there if I choose.

The tin (bag) aroma is smoky (Latakia), almost hickory-like which disturbed me at first, being primarily an aromatic smoker. I thought I wouldn't like the blend upon catching that scent. It reminded me of my BBQ smoker that I burn real hickory wood in when I cook. I now know I had nothing to fear. No fruit in this one that I can detect.

I will definitely have this blend as one of my regulars and plan on cellaring a pound or so at some point.

Give this one a try. I'm sure glad I did.

PS: Thanks to all you guys posting here and to the folks who created this wonderful site. This is a wonderful resource and I have had much enjoyment reading here for days before I joined. Pipe smokers are the coolest. :)