TRADUCCION PENDIENTE: A spun tobacco, cut in small birds eyes. A very special, mild and cool smoke. The natural sugar content of the ripe Virginia tobaccos gives Stockton a slight sweetness. Unsweetened Cavendish made from smoked dark-fired Kentucky tobaccos has been added, giving a piquant taste. As a result, the tobacco is slightly bitter and rounded in taste.

BrandMac Baren

Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is the first time I ever tried Stockton. My tin was dated July 2009. If you like the taste of tobacco without any of the aromatic toppings typical in Danish/German offerings, Stockton should fill the bill. There was no tin aroma upon opening the tin. Only with deep inhalation of the contents will you find the slightest hint of sweetness and a mild Virginia presence. The discs are expertly prepared with what I consider a perfect moisture content. It reminds me very much of Mac's Dark Twist Roll Cake, but much spicier in taste. The Cavendish is made from spicy Kentucky and very, very tasty. The spiciness becomes more pronounced as you smoke and the overall fullness increases in a very satisfying way. There was no bite or moisture during the smoke. At the end, a nice gray ash remained without dottle. It was very sweet (brown sugar sweet) tasting, a combination of the natural sweetness of the Virginia Cavendish and a little bit of sugar added. It can smoke a tad hot with vigorous puffing. I'm not talking bite, but bowl heat. Not a problem what so ever. Although I experienced no bite with Stockton, sipping on this one greatly enhances the wonderful flavor of the blend as the sugars slowly caramelize.

A very satisfying, natural tobacco smoking experience. One of the best room notes I have ever experienced in a tobacco. After several bowls, already a favorite. I have found Mac Baren tobaccos to be some of the best I have ever smoked in 34 years of pipe smoking. During the day of the brick and mortar tobacconists that I used to frequent, I never saw Stockton and that is the only reason I never tried it until now. I see I have to make up for lost time. A highly superior offering from Mac Baren, having entered my weekly rotation. Compared to Dark Twist Roll Cake (which many have found similar), Stockton is a slightly spicier, fuller smoke. I like the two equally. When I want that fullness with a little spice I reach for Stockton, and when I want a slightly sweeter experience I go with Dark Twist. There is NO bitterness whatsoever with Stockton. If you are looking for an unadulterated tobacco experience with a bit of sweetness, you can't go wrong with Stockton. Aging really brings out the natural sweetness with this leaf. Stockton is a wonderful, full-tasting experience and garners a solid highly recommended from me!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)

As in most aspects of life, it's all about what you're looking for as to whether of not you're satisfied. Reviewers that call good tobaccos bad because it's not to their taste are missing that point. This is excellent tobacco, well conceived and well executed. The flavor, as may have been mentioned, is akin to that of Kendal Kentucky...depending on the pipe, the orbit of the moon, etc. But since it's spun into little coins (sort of like 'demi-flake' or something) it smokes longer and for me, cooler...all good. I won't rehash all the technical stuff...that's been done...I'll just say that I seek out 'blends' that are, from light to dark, purer re: what I define as natural tobacco taste. In that regard this stuff easily has to be among the top 4 or 5 out there. Excellent product. Glad it's there. Will buy more.

Update: With more and more experience with this, my enjoyment grows. Is Mac B experiencing a comeback? Did they ever wain, except in my patronage? No answers, other than I'm kind of re-discovering Mac B blends and liking them to a degree I never did in the past...well, flakes anyway. The mantra: "Fold and stuff, light and puff. Burns to fluff." Good moisture level, fine burn, solid flavor. And via many vendors, a totally solid bargain!!! A tin for the price of a decent cigar? What's not to like?

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was smoking some Stockton on the way into work this morning and was thinking about the less than favourable reviews i have read about this Mac Baren mixture and feel compelled to put my two pence in. Stockton is just beginning to reach the colonies as it was judged by the importer to not be Mac Baren enough (read cased) until recently. If you like the more cased Mac Baren mixtures, this will not be your cup of tea. If you like heavy cased German mixtures like Blue Note, this will not be your cup of tea. And if you favour intellectually engaging (try glp's Westminster), complex mixtures with lots of complexity, this will not be your cup of tea. I have been told by a very reliable source who visited the Mac Baren factory, that Stockton is the least cased mixture they manufacture. It is mostly high grade Virginias that have been pressed into little "coins" without a lot of casing (all pipe mixtures have something that is not tobacco in them). (I believe the Cavendish component is VA based also). The pressing creates a very rich, but mild pure tobacco experience. It packs easily, lights easily, and smokes coolly down to a fine ash without any goop in the heal. It is pretty mono chromatic, but vanilla bean gelato is pretty monochromatic, but i like both a lot. It does not have a big hit of nicotine, but i am very sensitive to nicotine so this make me very happy. The room note is very spousal pleasing without being cloying. This is a very honest VA flake-type mixture that will make a certain segment of the pipe-smoking fraternity happy, but not others. I like this VA mixture a lot and have a bunch cellaring away as Gregory Pease has said, high-grade VAs cellar very well and develop great things for those who wait.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (50)
Medium Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

Small variegated coins, predominantly mid browns with some very light leaf scattered throughout. Packs fine as is or can be rubbed out. Burns easily.

Tin note is figs with a pronounced sweetness, reminiscent of dark sugar, honey or maple.

The fire cured Kentucky based Cavendish is the heart of this tobacco. This really is world class stuff that kicks off occasional cigar like notes from a backbone of woody scents. The sweetness from the tin note persists thru the entire bowl, and it balances the Kentucky perfectly. There is also the faintest hint of a topping, that seems to me like a floral musk.

Memories are sure to be made from this scent. It is unarguably masculine; traditional yet modern. Ticks every box as an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Mac Baren claims this to be their purest tobacco of them all, and I have no reason to doubt that statement. If I remember correctly the description said something like "pipe tobacco as it was smoked 300 years ago". Now I guess anyone can claim that, but again, if I had to point out one single tobacco I've tried, to be really old school? This would be it!

Tin aroma - Tobacco! Room note - Tobacco! Taste - Tobacco!

Nothing to expect mid-bowl or anything, as this stuff taste the same from beginning 'til end. Virgina and Burley (Kentucky) evens out eachother in the sweet/dry department, and the cavendish is barely noticeable.

Not overly exciting tobacco, unless you get a boner from tobacco not containing anything but tobacco...then this tobacco is THE tobacco!

Rate 7/10

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've only tried four or five MacBarens, but this is my favorite of those I have tried. It is also my favorite Kentucky blend, the one which strikes the best balance between the full robust taste of that kind of tobacco and the mellowness it can have when well blended. The little coin-flakes are attractive to the eye, and smoke well whether rubbed out or left intact. All of the other MacBarens I have tried had some degree of tongue-bite potential, and a couple bit me like hell, but not Stockton. If I want another Kentucky blend, I'll go for this one.

11-17-12 Smoking some of this from about 30 years ago, from Ebay, and these roll cakes turn into something much different in that amount of time...any bite disappears, and they are so sweet and mellow, if a little fast and hot burning if one is not careful, but I can deal with that!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My fourth foray into MacBaren's roll cuts turned out to be the most pleasurable so far. I love the old-fashioned taste, aroma and feel of the other roll cuts, make no mistake. But this one takes the trophy.

Having expected something similar to Dark Twist and Club Blend, possibly also Roll Cake, I was disillusioned by the tin aroma. In a good way. Less old leather in there, much more freshness and spice and brightness, more VA aroma with some grassiness. The leaf was dry and brittle enough that I could not simply fold and stuff discs; the discs would disintegrate so whatever I did, I'd end up basically rubbing out the 'baccy.

Lighting is easy enough, though the leaf will try to rise up at first, and it'll burn down coolly and gently to the very bottom.

The taste starts out with some spiciness and little else, and during the first half builds up a beautiful, toasty sweetness that will last to the end. The spice does not let off either. The aftertaste is gently fresh and beautiful, there is no tongue-bite for me, and the room note, while similar to the other MB rolled 'baccies, is noticeably brighter and a tad more sweet.

I currently have two pipes dedicated to this blend only. It is that good.

Update 2010-03-02: Few tobaccos manage to make me smile. This one puts a shit-happy grin on my face.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

After smoking some Club Blend, I was pleased to meet another similar coin cut tobacco by Mac Baren.

The difference is that here the dark center of the coins is not dark Cavendish, but dark fired Kentucky (the description on Mac Baren's website says that it's 60% Virginias and 40% dark Kentucky, with small percentages of other tobaccos).

It is probably one of the most natural blends by the Danish brand: they declare that only a touch of sugar is added, and personally I think that it is a VERY slight touch of it. It smells natural, it feels natural to the touch, and it tastes natural. Very well done!

Anyway, this is a tobacco that packs great, lights great and smokes great: even better than Club Blend (of which I recommend that you read my review because they are very similar).

If Club Blend could taste a little "empty" at times, and with a tingling feeling on the palate and throat (though it isn't particularly bitey), Stockton seems at the same time smoother, creamier... and tastier. It is moderately sweet, nutty, leathery, with hints of black coffee. It has a pleasant smokiness, and again tastes very "autumnal". Great consistency of flavour from the beginning to the end.

I like it very much, although it is not a particularly flamboyant or extrovert tobacco. Definitely a blend that you should try if you want a medium bodied and not too strong roll cake: of course it is recommended for experienced smokers, as it will give its best only with slow smoking. But it won't bite even if pushed hard.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I believe I would have to echo Topdogue's sentiments. Stockton seems to be severely underrated, and that's really a shame. I bought a tin in my attempt to find something that would smoke well in some giant Preben Holms I have, and the little coins looked the perfect size to just drop into the pipe bowl.

I don't know what type of cavendish is used for the center of the twist that these little coins are cut from, but it adds a slightly different dimension to what would otherwise be your standard high quality va. Stockton is good, and like all MacBaren blends I've enjoyed so far, exhibits bite only if coaxed to do so.

I can definitely see myself picking up some more of this in the future, though I do wish it were a bit cheaper. Meanwhile, I would remind Topdogue that we are no longer colonies. We may still behave like a bunch of looney boondoggers, but we are not colonists.

Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very none offensive tobacco, mild but pleasant. This reminds me of P&G's Marble Kake in flavor but smoother. I can't see this in my personal rotation but many should like this . I do agree with those reviewers that liked to smoke this on the dry side and that "nothing stands out". I don't associate this with a strong Kentucky burley flavor and I don't find any bitterness like the description says?

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

If you like Mac Baren's Roll Cake, you'll probably like Stockton. In fact these two attractive roll cake tobaccos look and taste almost identical. Again, my complaint with Mac Baren is most of their tobaccos are a little mild and one dimensional - flavorwise - and smoke too hot. Then again, with their long history and the remarkable variety of tobaccos Mac Baren provide, who am I to complain?

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

A very mild blend. looks very nice in the tin and has a very mild smell. What stood out was that nothing stood out. its not that I disliked it nothing stood out nothing grabbed my attention to sweep me away. I would recomend this tobacco to the first time smoker as something mild to start out with. it was plasent and well balenced asll and all a good blend

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I must say I am disappointed in this one.

It's not just pure tobacco flavor, it's pure "no flavor" at all.

Same as Dark Twist, Roll Cake and the others. As least, Dark Twist tastes something with the casing. This one, nothing.

Too bad.

IrishHare79 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishHare79 (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried 2 bowls in 2 different pipes of this at a pipe club meeting. I was pleastly suprised at this. Tin aroma is nothing to talk about, has a faint sweetened/sour ketchup smell in the tin. The small coins(just larger than a nickel, smaller than a quarter) are easy to rub out or place over the bowl and shove in. I think the tin needed some more drying, but it stays lit fairly well. As for the taste, I was rewarded with a nice white raisin taste from the start. You get hints of woodiness on the back of the tounge half way thru, and finish with a clean pruny taste. I wanted another bowl right after so that's how the 2 pipes happened. I got some dottle and mixed ashes in the end, but I think the blend just needed some drying before smoking to help this out. This is one I'll be recommending to people.

One of the good things about Mac Baren tins is that they come in 100 grams, which gives the smoker plenty of time to figure them out. Granted, most of them are easily deciphered but I found Stockton to be a notable exception.

Beautiful tin, beautiful tobacco. Mac B's always gets an "A" for presentation. Even the paper inside is of obvious high quality. The cut coins looked a lot like some of the other Mac B blends, such as Dark Twist. But this one had a lot more to offer. At tin moisture, it was somewhat or a typical Mac B blend with its citrusy sweet casing. I find this annoying over time but refreshing for a short while. The dark fired tobacco came out around mid-bowl or so and added an excellent spice. Still, it failed to elevate itself beyond the Mac Baren signature flavor - Danish sweetness.

It was only when I dried this blend to the consistency of Wheaties cereal that it shined. The sweet casing diminished but didn't disappear - it just stopped strangling the blend. The dark fired body and flavor melded with the sweet VA and provided a cool, rich, robust smoke that I really enjoyed. The burn was excellent as well. This is a good tobacco, and I will never again smoke it without drying it to a crispy state.

Only other comment - this burned my tongue before I even lit it. Just holding the filled pipe in my mouth for 10 seconds produced a semi-allergic reaction. This has happened with another Mac B blend that I cannot smoke. The good news for this one, even while it is an oddity, is that 2-3 puffs into the bowl, this "burn" goes away completely. Just another interesting example of the chemical balances of blend and smoker.

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I expected to really love this based on the description, but in the end I found this disappointing. The flavor is strongish, but thin, and tastes like burned sweetened rope. The smoke is unsatisfying. Even the tin aroma wasn't particularly enticing. It might still be better quality than some Drug store blends, and have less top flavor, but I still didn't enjoy this much.

It may be that this blend helped point the way to the fact that I dislike burleys, or maybe I just don't know how to rub out and pack a spun-cut tobacco, but in the end, I didn't find enough to enjoy in this tobacco. Not every blend will work for every smoker...

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

I may seem boring writing on tobacco MB, but for younger people who really want to smoke, enjoying tobacco, strongly advise against these blends MB.

Years ago he was a blend of outstanding characteristics. Today, all these features are united in nothing.

Looking elsewhere, there are several blenders that have a lot more quality than MB.

Fortunately for us pipe smokers!!!!

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

Stockton generally has been reviewed favorably in these pages. For me, though, it wasn't a bell ringer. The taste is rather non-descript, without anything to make it distinctive. It's not bad in any way, it just doesn't push my buttons.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The discs are nicely prepared and presented but my tin was on the dry side initally. In addition, this blend seemed to dry out faster in the pouch than others that I purchase even in bulk. This may have resulted in a rather harsh taste initally even though this one is mild & without much kick. Although a natural tobacco taste, it lacked the sweetness of my preferred VAs.

SirSmokesAlot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirSmokesAlot (4)

This blend looks pretty neat with it's little bird's eye coins. It wasn't as wet as other mac b blends I've tried. I found it to be an airy, cool and slightly sweet smoke, perfect for a change of pace session. The nicotine rush was a little mild, and I thought it gave a toasted, sugary room note. However my wife walked in and said "what smells like f$%#ing burnt marshmellows in here?!?" But all in all a worthwhile smoke.

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of Stockton on a whim after reading other folks reviews here. This has been a good whim. I find the tobacco has a very mild flavor, almost one that dares you to take it slowly so you can let the flavor build over time. Its a delicate flavor, not a strong in-your-face kind of flavor. At initial charring light the taste of the tobacco is almost non-existant almost like you're lighting up a bunch of cut up cardboard. Don't let that fool you though as this delicate flavor builds in intensity from the outset to a wonderful crescendo that will leave you wondering where you can get some more. Its about at the 1/3 bowl mark (typical group 4 sized bowl) that the flavor really starts to come into its own. The VA plays throughout the smoke, but the KY sings as the bowl progresses. 1/2 way through the smoke the flavor is medium to full and by bowl's end its definately a full flavored smoke. I've never come across a blend quite like this one. And I like it. A lot!

Prep: I fully rub out the coins although I have tried layering or just folding them and stuffing them in the bowl as well with no better flavor benefit any way I prepare it.

Bowl size: I only own group 4 to group 5 size pipes. I notice no difference in relation to the size of the pipe.

Topping: The topping is so very light on this blend that you'll need to search for it. And while you'll find it, you won't find much of it for sure. I think its the perfect amount for this tobac.

A note about my likes/dislikes so you can compare: I am not an aromatic smoker. I favor predominantly VA/Burleys or straight VAs. Typically sweet tobacco is more to my liking than tobaccos with a sour note. I seldom enjoy Englishes. Hope that helped.

Recomendation: go for it, you won't regret it =IF= you're willing to take some time to enjoy this blend. If you're looking for something to stuff in your pipe and will puff like a madman, this blend might nip you a bit and will probably taste of nothing. If you're an aromatic smoker this will surely dissappoint.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Here I join the review of PipePaladin; this tobacco is absolutely top quality! it just needs some of your valuable attention, please just handle it with some care and respect, proper packing and slow puffing is the Only way to enjoy this wonderful blend.

Original:

This is a blend of Virginia with Dark Fired Kentucky (air-cured and smoked Burley) tobacco, it tastes full, dark and earthy, and it is unflavored with very natural tobacco taste. It is a slightly bitter and rounded in taste. Overall this has a delicious and natural tobacco flavor.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

In a reply to "Topdogue's"review and his admission to cellaring some Stockton: I am now smoking recently acquired very old 50 gram tins of "Mac Baren's" Stockton, which will be about 30 years old! The discs (small bird's eye, as opposed to the larger variety now used) are darkish brown now. The taste is....heavenly, almost pure tobacco with some of the mac Baren peanutty taste that they then used in most of their tobacco's. Hope your tins will taste as good in thirty years from now, Topdogue!!

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

tonight i though of going green, so i filled my glass with j walker green label and my bj pipe with stockton.. by all the gods! what a heavenly combination! the woody and saulty aroma of the kentucky balanced perfectly with the sound virginia was a ballet of truly enjoyment! cant wait to repeat this night by the fireplace of my countryhouse during the xmas break! full of nostalgia here my good people! smoke it slow in a classical music pace and you will fall in love... i did!

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Very light tobacco. Yes it does bite my tongue but, I believe it is because I am so used to having more flavor in my tobacco that I am automatically trying to stoke my pipe up by puffing harder to achieve what I am used to with flavor. I definately find myself tugging on this tobacco harder than many others I have in my stock. To find a solution I mixed some Stockton with Blakeny's Best Acadian Ribbon and a few other favorites and actually came out with a pretty interesting smoke.

young fogey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
young fogey (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What leads you to be interested in trying a tobacco?

As a newbie, everything about the experience influences me. The can is green, one of my favorite colours. The name has sort of an English flair, that I'm sure the Anglophile Danes chose deliberately. The brand, MacBaren: I have tried other blends, and through research know it has a history and reputation for quality.

But I've developed a little experience with other blends to know what I like. This blend, I like. As others have noted, it does not seem to have a strong casing, but is merely leaf, rolled, pressed and cured. Complex taste notes are as yet too subtle for me, but I don't sense there are complex depths to be explored here. The relative simplicity of this blend, laid out in nice cut coins in the can, invites you to try it and enjoy it. It is not so much any lack of subtlety, as simplicity in taste. I've tried Dark Twist, which I like, and which some compare to Stockton, and I think I like this better. In fact, I expect I'll be trying other blends, but I think I'll come back to this one.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Many pipe smokers complain that many, if not most, MB blends bite them. I never experienced bite with any MB blend until I smoked Stockton. It wasn?t the usual type of bite but rather what I would term a ?spicy citrusy nip? that kicked in after only a few short puffs in every pipe I tried. This nip masked, or at the very least distorted, what flavor and taste this blend had to offer?if it was there. My tin was more than two years old to boot. The nicest thing I can say about Stockton is the appearance of the spun cut coins that have the lighter color tobacco around the circumference of the coins punctuated with darker tobacco centers. But no one should have a preference for a particular blend ???or women, on looks alone. So look elsewhere. It will NOT be worth your while to STOCK a TON of this blend in your cellar.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 3.5 out of 10.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very odd tasting tobacco, Stockton is not so much savoury as salty. I could not decide for some time whether I liked it or not, but eventually concluded that I did not. Still, it has the Mac Baren virtues of being well processed and well presented: someone may like the taste of salt in a pipe.

eeijas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eeijas (3)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

greetings my fellow avid pipe smoker....i just bought a 100g tin of stockton in freighbourgh, germany 2 days ago n damn it ddnt just burn my tounge as i smoke it 4 the first time, it also impaired my lips as well as my palate senseless....let me tell ya'll like dis, wen i smoked my first bowlful of stockton, there was dis cracklin sound as the leaves burn...i thought it was just some idle subliminal thought dat crossed my brain...den i smoked it for the second time wit anoder pipe, n the cracklin sound was still there...so i figured this must be the too-wet va leaves, very typical of mac baren eh...and owh i 4got to state dat in d midst of smokin my second bowlful, i realized dat evry part of my mouth was literally burnd!!!!!! i plan to let the tin open for a month n im gonna come back to it later.....4 the moment i dnt recommend dis to ya'll..too sickly rampant for my taste

Dark Twist with a twist.... Although I cannot readily identify the difference other that the smaller swirls of leaf and perhaps a little more body and a little less casing. I liked it, but because it was a wee bit too moist in the tin, had some trouble rubbing the discs out the first few bowls. I did try a larger bowl pipe with the discs just stuffed down in it and that seemed to help the flavor.

PS.....I was recently gifted almost the entire Mac Baren's line for review purposes, but don't know if this one is sold in the USA.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

This is only the 4th review of this blend and I come to the conclusion that for some reason this is not a very popular blend (compare with blb, nf, ..). Why this is so is not quite clear because this is one fine tobacco!

Discs are lighter brown than Dark Twist, and there is some similarity in taste, except this blend doesn't have the "molasses" quality of DT, so it's more the spicy aspect of DT that you will find here. More importantly: this has absolutely no bite!!! The first time I couldn't believe how hard I could push it without de slightest nip on the tongue (Especially since I can't get DT to work for me) As an experienced Mac amateur, I suggest leaving the tin open a few months before sampling for optimal results, and a (very) light packing, folding de discs in four and using 1 fully rubbed out on top for easy lighting.

As this is a Mac Baren blend, do not expect full bodied taste or big nicotine kicks: spiciness and discs doesn't make it comparable to it three nuns, save yourself this dissapointment, and enjoy it for what it is: a nice mild change of pace blend

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

An alternative to Dark Twist. Almost the same but MacBaren has been less generous with the casing. The discs are smaller, and the tobacco taste is more clean. If you like Dark Twist, but wants to try a more tobacco-like version of the same, give this one a go.

Cobnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobnut (8)

This is a tobacco of the highest quality.On opening the attractive looking dark green tin one is aquaintted with a lovely mid and dark brown tobacco in the form of small discs If smoked slowly Stocton does not give any tongue bite I find it one of those blends that smokes better as you go doun the bowl A top notch va This tobacco does not seem to be as popular as either Rollcake,or Dark Twist but I find it better by far.One of my favourites