N/D

Manufactured ByImperial Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The flake rubs out easily enough. The moisture content is perfect and the tobacco stays lit well in the pipe. It produces huge volumes of flavor and does have that wonderful and mysterious casing that enhances the overall presentation. I have sampled many Virginia flakes in my lifetime, and this one is as delicious as any of them.

If you are looking for big virginia flavor though,you may want to look elsewhere. If you just want something inoffensive to puff on, well then, Capstan Mild is your ticket!

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (20)

To my taste this is a great Virginia flake and sadly, an under rated one.

Great uniform flake presentation with perfect moisture content straight out of the tin. Grassy light notes mingle with stewed fruit/figgy darker tones and some mild spice is pleasantly present throughout the bowl. I cannot detect a topping, although apparently there is one!? It's so well behaved I usually smoke a whole bowl on two matches and have never been bitten despite being a very aggressive puffer at times and my fast smoking has never marred it's taste.

Age When Smoked: Various from fresh to three years +

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm adding this just to boost the rating. I believe it's worth a solid three stars, light & pleasant as it is. The new MB offering is definitely lighter than the blue, which is one of my regulars in straight Va. I like the slight topping of (maybe) orange; it never cloys or bites. Just a good, light Va.

Pipe Used: Clay & briar 'wardens

Purchased From: JR

Similar Blends: Light Flake.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm adding this just to boost the rating. I believe it's worth a solid three stars, light & pleasant as it is. The new MB offering is definitely lighter than the blue, which is one of my regulars in straight Va. I like the slight topping of (maybe) orange; it never cloys or bites. Just a goos, light Va.

Pipe Used: Clay & briar 'wardens

Purchased From: JR

Similar Blends: Light Flake.

cargohold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cargohold (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well after being impressed with the navy cut medium of this tobacco I was tempted to try the yellow tin put out by MacBarens as well and guess what? I found it actually sweeter (in a natural way) and tastier than the old Wills release from years ago. Lighter and more floral than the blue but a great change of pace especially with the Summer coming up.

Pipe Used: Sasieni, Comoy, Dunhill, BBB

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: cargohold of Poulsbo

Similar Blends: Dunhill Light Flake, G.L. Pease Union Square, Dan Hamboorger Veermaster, D.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a great VA flake that follows through on everything it promises. It is mild in flavor, but surprisingly has a nice nicotine kick. To my taste it is not as good as the original navy cut which is a little fuller in taste.

It is due to this that it misses 4 stars from me, but if you favor a lighter taste in your va's then this would easily jump into the four star realm.

Based on a 1.5 oz sample. I hadn't smoked this for many years, but my memory is that I preferred the medium version. No matter - this is a light colored long flake that folds easily or rubs out just as easily. The flavor leans towards the grassy side of virginia, but with a pleasant and not overblown essence of citrus. At times, it also seems to flirt with a darker VA flavor, but this goes away just as it's beginning to gel.

I'd call this a "steady eddie" in that it provides little in the way of excitement but is completely congenial and inoffensive. Like all straight virginias, it will singe the tongue if the smoker doesn't take precautions. I found no overdose of nicotine here and it was quite easy to smoke. Not terribly long on flavor, I'd call it a refreshing smoke rather than one with much depth. Reminded me of OGS in that regard, but the citrusy nature of OGS was considerably more subdued here. It was more of a bit player rather than the star it is in OGS. If you like light, grassy virginias, this is definitely one to try.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is in the same mold as Capstan Medium (Blue) though I would not consider it any milder. It's a much brighter flake - almost yellow in colour with a slightly stronger zesty topping reminescent of fermernted fruit with citris overtones. The moisture is just right and the smoke is pleasent and smooth, but may bite the tongue if not careful. In my opinion Capstan Mild is every bit as good as the Medium, and should satisfy any lover of quality virginia flakes.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, there is the nice raisin'y scent on opening the tin and it looks a very pleasant flake...but for me that's about it.

In the pipe it's thin in taste, nippy on the mouth and generally unispiring to smoke. This is a newish tin mind you, and I have much older ones with the logo horizontally on the tin as per the above picture.....but to be fair if you are going to review a baccy, it's far more honest (and useful to the reader) to base it on a modern tin.

So, as far as Capstan Mild Navy Cut goes, I'd say not to bother.

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)

A good blend, but not overwhelming. I tried it in the hope to replace the hard to find in my town Peterson´s University Flake but unfortunately it plays in a different leage. It seems quite flat in taste comparsion, not so rich in subtle aromas. The tin I got needed a lot of relights to end the bowls and burned too hot. Not bad, but I'll keep with University Flake as I can get some tins.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Capstan Mild is an exceedingly well-behaved flake, submitting to rubbing out fully or partially or to being folded and stuffed with equal grace, and without bite. It burns cool and leaves a dark granular ash.

It is a little `brighter` in taste than the Capstan Medium, but with lesser depth. I rather enjoy it as the first smoke of the day, and also mid-morning, but by the afternoon the tastebuds need something fuller. The taste and room note are comparable to those of Luxury Navy Flake.

The lettering on my tin is vertical rather than horizontal - I suspect to make room for the fatal warning.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Original 6/6/2008

Finally managed to get hold of a couple of tins of this, I have'nt had it for years, and I didn't like it then, so I thought I'd give it another try.

A very good quality tobacco, perfect moisture content, rubs out well without turning to sawdust, packs easy and burns down to a fine grey ash with just one match, no tongue bite.

A smooth cool smoke, slight hint of lemon in flavour, much better than Orlik's Golden Slce, but not much else, just a good honest tobacco, not pretentious in any way, wife did not appreciate the room note, I didn't notice it, thus "pleasant (for me) to tolerable" (for her). Sad rearly, I keep expecting more flavour from this tobacco, and it just isn't there, so I have to keep reminding myself, "If you want more flavour YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE MEDIUM and not the MILD"

As I can only get this from Germany, when someone goes, will I ask them to get me some more ? most certainly yes. Will I miss this if I run out ? YES I think I will.

update 21/1/2010

Well I did buy more because I knew I would miss it before I ran out. I tend now to let it dry out on a sheet of newspaper for about 24 hours. It now makes an excellent "First thing in the morning smoke" for me, along with a large mug of industrial strength tea.

Well worth 4 stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a high quality Virginia way too mild for my palate. It varies from a sweet and grassy mild Virginia taste which reminds me of Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 (minus the tongue bite), to an almost flat smoke.

Airing out before smoking improves the taste a lot, as it does DGT. In fact, I only smoke this tobacco after DGT'ing, which kicks the taste and improves its strength significantly.

I haven't tried it yet, but if Capstan Medium Navy Cut is similar at an extra strength, I'm gonna love it.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just started with this one, I am switching more to flakes these days having tried and liked, McBars Navy Flake. This is a really great mild smoke. I find it fruity and citrus. My first bowl was a bit of a disappointment. But there after it just gets better and better. Its amazing how a 'MILD' tobacco can have so many hidden surprises in there. It was tobacco of the month in Amsterdam's most famous shop here - http://www.hajenius.com. And, rightly so. I picked-up the Blue tin (Medium) liking it so much, but that felt a little like a Navy Flake with too little flavour for me, I am sure that will change as I smoke it though.

But right now the mild is great. It feels like a good french white table wine, that you just keep going back to (in your superior cellar) because it is so honest and modest. That said the price is a little high. Along with Sherlock Holmes from Peterson, this will be my all day mild and sweet smoke...and I know that for sure 100% only after about 5-6 bowls. Now how many tobaccos can you say that about?

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Contrary to what one might think when they hear the word 'mild', there is significant taste present in this blend. I let a veteran piper try some and he thought it was more like a medium. The tin I picked up had at least 3 years of aging. The tin aroma is inviting, but the flavor I found to have too much of a cigarette quality however that might be because it does not age well. Good tobacco in a pinch, but I have two more tins of this around and they will probably be given away.

A companion to the blue tin version (Original Navy Cut; if interested please see my review on this blend), this other Capstan I recently bought during a trip to Spain, with the Gold Navy Cut inscription underneath the red name on a yellow mustard tin, was also a wonderful surprise. Very similar in structure and texture to Original Navy Cut, it however seems to have a bit more spiciness, though it maybe sligthly milder. Again, I find this flake very similar to some of the Fribourg & Treyer's Virginias, but more so to Stokkebye's Navy Flake.

Smooth, toasty, easy to pack in, this is a delightful flake. I don't know if there is some Perique in this one, but by the end of the bowl I do find a certain peppery piquantness that added a wonderful taste to the blend. An excellent straight Virginia that, without that natural sweetness (redolent of molasses or dried raisins) present in many other Va. flakes---Dunhill's, Rattray's or Gawith's---it nevertheless delivers a top quality smoke, very tasty and rich. (03/05)

N.B.: as I stated in my review of Original Navy Cut, I don't know if this review should go here. The tin I reviewed is rectangular, but yellow with red letters, in a vertical rather than horizontal layout.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)

This is a classic english flake. Bright VA leaf and nothing else.

I normally prefer the red or brown VA's but this a nice friendly tobacco i like to smoke in the afternoon.

In Denmark this is the only good quality english tobacco you can actually buy in every drugstore.

There's nothing much to it, just plain tobacco taste. It does not intensify much through the bowl, and some would say it was boring. But as an allday smoke compared with the reasonably low price, this is a good alternative to many uninteresting cheap smokes.

Not outstanding but quite good.

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A waste of time. Alot of hot air and very little taste or anything else for that matter. I did detect some sort of casing that may or not have been responsible for the mild case of tongue bite that I recieved. Mild is the key word in all categories here!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This age-old classic is the mildest in the three CAPSTAN flake offerings (CAPSTAN FULL [Brown Tin] is no longer produced by Imperial Tobacco, but is still available from Orlik, in Denmark.)

MILD is a light-coloured flake, with a high orange tonality; this colour influences my olfactory perception perhaps, but I smell something like mandarine orange?a light, inoffensive topping.

The taste is very sweet and refreshing, although it can get aggressive if over-puffed: I prefer it to ORLIK Golden Slices, which is just too light; on the other hand, this is perhaps more likely to bite. (I have not smoked Golden Slices often enough to reassure you on that count.)

There are now so many flakes in the market that this old favourite seems less of a treat than it did years ago; CAPSTAN MEDIUM was always my favourite anyway; but this is certainly one of the classics.