BrandJapan Tobacco
Blended ByJapan Tobacco Inc.
Manufactured ByJapan Tobacco Inc.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Caramel, Fruit / Citrus, Other / Misc
Packaging50g pouch, 100g tin
CountryJP
Strength
Taste

Review is of a 10 year old tin. I recall smoking this in the 1990's when it was readily available in the States, and I recall it being wet in the tin. This was at perfect smoking moisture. A mostly light colored ribbon cut with the tin aroma of a light aromatic blend, but dry to the touch.

I think most of we pipe aficionados would like to think of ourselves as purists, but I admit that I love certain tobaccos with noticeable flavorings, including St Bruno and many of the Lakeland flakes. This is a flavored tobacco, and it is excellent. The dark fruit flavor enhancer really brings out the high quality of the virginia and perique leaf (never noticed any latakia), even though the concoction sounds like something a purist would balk at smoking. It is sweet, but not that much sweeter than a straight lemon virginia. The room aroma is such that friends and family would enjoy it, but does tend to "take over" a room - best smoked outdoors. I did not notice any high levels of nicotine but the flavor was hard to ignore. This is a great aperatif or dessert tobacco, but can be smoked all day long (assuming you could find enough!). This may be one of the most perfect tobaccos around, great for any time of day, and satisfying in most every way tobacco needs to be.

If you like a naturally sweet tobacco, or if you're looking for an aromatic that isn't drenched in casing, or if you want a great room note with something that won't gag you with the taste of cherries, this is your tobacco. I don't know if this is around even in Japan, but it needs to make a comeback in the U.S. Excellent tobacco!

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco I smoked. I live in Japan and found this in an old general store. The tin was from 2002 and cost me about 7 bucks.

As soon as I opened it, it gave off a scent of plum wine, figs and other berries. It was relatively moist even after 11 years!

It smoked decently cool and very evenly, it does have a little bit of tongue bite so please be careful.

I don't know how many of these are still around but if you can find the pre-MacBaren version, I would recommend it. I'm about half way through my 50g tin and it just gets better after every smoke. Very nice for an aromatic and definitely no synthetic casing taste.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

MOMOYAMA is the epochal name of a period in Japanese Art and Architecture around the turn of the XVII century. To name a tobacco thus, would be the equivalent of our naming one "Renaissance".

It is therefore particularly appropriate that I should have discovered this delightful mixture while walking through Greenwich Village, on my way to see what turned out to be a very entertaining production of Shakespeare's Cymbeline. I popped into "Village Cigars", in the corner of Hudson and Christopher streets?a corner indelibly associated with in- and UNdescribable souvenirs?et voilà! A new face beckoned.

I was initially taken with the Zen-elegant tin design: a crisp silver background, with a red border. In the centre, the stylised silouette of a galleon, also red, main-masts square-rigged, lateen-rigged over the aftercastle. The name MOMOYAMA in almost Cyrillic-looking lettering.

As I opened the tin, a smell like overripe apples?a smell I abhor?wafted out. This soon dissipated, though, and something like the perfume of red wine remained. Périque! Also, the unmistakable yeasty-smoky scent of Latakia. There is ribbon-cut mahoganny Virginia here too, and a bigger, wild-cut yellowish leaf as well, too greenish for bright Virginia, too lush-looking for Burley: Lemon Virginia?? The whole thing looks top quality, inside a perfectly-ruffled thick paper sleeve. MOMOYAMA is obviously put together by people who know.

I pinch-fill my Tsuge Ikebana?what else??with it, and light in one movement with Spanish Bamboo foco-locos. Catches easily. Big smoke.

I taste the red Virginia first: semi-sweet, smooth, sec. Not much Latakia depth, although, after a few moments, the taste gets bigger, graver. After some 2 minutes, Périque comes to the fore...in a big way. The taste keeps getting bigger, spicier: I am beginning to LOVE it. Never overbearing, always well balanced, this mixture keeps my attention nevertheless, even though it burns problem-free. Very flavourful.

To say that MOMOYAMA is Early Morning Pipe with Périque would be accurate, but misleading. The perfect balance suggests EMP, but this has a more interesting, less bland cast. The Périque gives it real pizzazz without going over the top. Nevertheless, this is very much for the Périque lover; a light virginia-latakia mix, but with a definitely "with Périque" cachet.

A surprising and delightful discovery.

==================================================================================

PS 1/'03

I have been smoking this for several months, now, and have grown to like it even more. When the tobacco dries out a bit inside the Mason jar, it integrates better in flavour and becomes really deliciously smooth. I am, by the way, not at all sure that there is any Latakia here after all. I am a vampire and sleep in a coffin. The subtle smoky-yeasty nose (and flavour) are more like dark-red Virginia. Delightful.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

UPDATE After smoking more of this I can absolutely get wisps of Latakia. I was surprised when it dawned on me. This was a blend that has a flavor that is hard to describe, but the smokiness of latakia is subtly present but just enough to give the blend a perfectly complex flavor. It goes well with whatever topping casing was added...amazing! There is perique in the blend as well because that typical perique spiciness comes out and tickles the back of the throat from time-to-time. There is a bit of an N kick as well that most other aro's don't have. This is top notch stuff!!

Original Review Strange the description mentions Lat. and Per. I didn't detect any from the smell out of the tin or in the smoke. This is by far the best Aro. I have ever had the opportunity of smoking. I have a relative that lives in Japan and they brought me a few tins on their last visit. What a treat! Plums, figs, somebody mentioned wine in another review... I can pick that up as well. It smokes wonderfully into a nice white ash. Doesn't leave a sticky residue like most aro's. Not any bite when smoking it either and it leaves a pleasant aroma. I highly recommend this... especially since I'm not a huge fan of Aromatics.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-5 years

Purchased From: Gifted

Momoyama begins with an outstanding tin aroma. Plums,figs and raisins come to mind. A scent typical of a well aged Vaper (even though it isn't a Vaper). The addition of the topping adds to the sweetness. In the strict sense of the word it could be considered an aromatic, however, I would not call it such. The tobacco is rich and I find the flavors very similar to some of the old Dunhill blends. I find it to be very similar to Dunhill Ultra Mild although Momoyama is a bit better. If there is Latakia in this blend, it was added with the lightest of hands as I can't find the Latakia flavor at all. I don't think this blend is produced any longer or is not available in the US which is a shame. A quality tobacco such as Momoyama belongs in the marketplace. Highly Recommended!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Although I had travelled to Japan, and bought tobacco there, I learnt of Asuka and Momoyama from this site. My better half got me some of both in 2004, and this review is based on those tins. They are Mac Baren made and actually say Momoyama II. I conjecture a distinction is being made between the original and the incarnation.

On opening the tin the paper insert was soaked through, though the tobacco was adequately moist. There were sourish, winey top notes - somewhat reminiscent of Stonehaven and University Flake - with a basso profundo note (if I may mix metaphors) of good tobacco. I smoked it in pipes previously used for Escudo and Deluxe Navy Rolls. It packed well, and burnt well to a fine ash without leaving any dottle.

There is definitely perique in the mixture, and very well applied, too. The top notes disappear during the bowl. There is an aftertaste that lingers pleasantly in the mouth. In wine-speak, Momoyama has a long finish.

I have put down `none detected` for flavouring because the top notes do not survive putting match to tobacco.

I like Momoyama very much, but I do wonder if minus the exotic origin my reaction would be exactly the same.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Wow! Just for fun, I purchased a tin of that Japanese tobacco, Momoyama, a couple of months ago. I popped the tin tonight and am in absolute heaven! It is short, ribbon cut with some cubes that are almost black. Most of the leaf is dark and the smell in the tin is of ripe figs and some kind of alcohol with a very slight Perique smell as well. The wrapper has turned a musky brown in color from whatever the additive is in this stuff along with the unusually dark bits of cube cut. It is strong in nicotine content and is certainly a heavy rather than light blend. The taste is more sweet than bitter, and it burns as cool as any Virginia/Burley I've ever smoked. I know the description does not include Burley, but I detected a hint of that leaf during the smoke. At the midway point of the bowl, I detected a hint of Perique, but it was so far in the background that it was hardly noticible. Near the bottom of the bowl, no doubt about it -- Perique. I looked at http://www.tobaccoreviews.com to check out what others had to say here. Anyway, every reviewer consideres this blend to be exemplary. I guess this is a sleeper pick because I have not heard much about this Japanese tobacco but it is simply wonderful and unique. I don't know when the last time was that I enjoyed a new tobacco as much as this stuff.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I purchased a tin of this stuff while vacationing in Japan in 2006. It was the last tin in the shop. I have since "lost" the tin, so I can't say for sure if it was blended by Mac Baren, however, the lady who sold it to me said it was blended in Denmark for the Japanese market, so maybe. Frankly, I was surprised to see any pipe tobacco at all in Tokyo, pipe smoking isn't very popular there. At the time, I purchased the tin not for its tobacco, as I wasn't smoking then, but for the tin. What happened to the tin? Read on. I opened this only several weeks ago, in August. Now, I'll have to admit, the interim years of it sitting on my shelf may have done this tobacco a disservice (perhaps the stuff doesn't age well, who knows). Upon opening it I was greeted with a sickly scent of plum wine and figs. The tobacco was so heavily cased, and wet, I thought there would be zero chance of lighting it. I was nearly right on that matter—the rough cut dark tobacco was difficult to pack and it didn't take to lighting very well. The taste, a sweet syrupy plum molasses-like concoction was not to my liking. There was also a bit of a nicotine kick, and, if pressed, it bit. Truly, this tobacco was very unpalatable; I suffered several more bowls of this stuff over the summer and then unceremoniously threw the tin and its contents in the trash (all the time forgetting that I had originally purchased it for the tin). It was the only tin I dumped this year. Foul stuff. I cannot recommend it.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: A Tobacco shop in Tokyo, Japan

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Not had the original; this is a review of the MB blending. I was sent a sample of a few bowls, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I can taste the hand of Mac Baren, but none of the bite I sometimes get with Mac Baren blends that don't have at least a decade of age on them. Latakia? Perique? I suppose the proportions of both are about what one expects from Mac Baren. No matter; the Virginias are quality, and though there is nothing to blow one away, it is a good, solid smoke.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the few aromatic tobaccos I enjoy. I live in Japan and Momoyama is readily avalible here. I dont know if it is hard to find in the states or europe. The taste is plum and maybe peach (the Japanese word for peach is momo,so?). In Japan it cost less than 10USD, good smoke for a nice price.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I'm reviewing the MomoyamaII blend, which maybe be a little altered from the original. Blended by Mac Baren's in Denmark, I asked a Japanese client could he please honor me with a gift of a couple of tins. Perhaps it is this sentimental story - told with the knowledge that my tin was purchased by an up and coming, young intelligent man in the advertising business that makes my tin taste so good...but I suspect not. 10 out of 5 stars...absolutely outstanding...beyond compare or comparison, possibly the best tobacco Mac Baren have ever produced...but not sold in Europe...oh the irony! Luckily I do a lot of business with the Japanese..which I find is always and honor and a great pleasure...but with a tin of Momoyama...no game...truely...an outstanding blend! Rich, a bit wet in the tin (will age superbly), plum wine, sweet - but with all so many flavours bouncing around...seaweed, sakai, caramel, red wine, perique, the smokiness of latakia, the list goes on...truley, truley amazing...Mac Baren really show their well known blending abilities with this one. Top.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Thank goodness that this is no longer produced. Having lived in Japan for ten years the one thing the Japnaese can not do is Blend tobacco. This is their way of trying knocking off Rattary's Dark & Fragrant. Sorry not even close.I would consider this a rancid blend.That leaves a sour after taste and while smoking is closer to smnoking a Parlimnet Cigarette then pipe tobacco. Maybe they shoud have added some Wasabi to it?

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I never thought a Japanese tobacco could be so good...

The tin aroma is like a typical bright and red matured Virginia (fruity, alternately sweet and sour), with a winey note that could mean the presence of Perique and/or a strange fruit/alcoholic topping. I can't feel Orientals, but some of the cubed bits look a lot like burley.

Lighting is easy, and the burning rate is regular thanks to the OK humidity level of the mixture. Taste is subtle, not invasive, rich of nuances: delicate notes of dried fruit and lemon, orange... Not a lof of evolution in the course of the bowl, but who cares...

A very pleasant experience with this tobacco lies in expelling the smoke from your nostrils, to better appreciate the sourish flavour which reminds of tamarind. Sometimes it even has some similarities to the 20 year old tin of Dunhill Elizabethan I had the luck of smoking some time ago.

Nicotine content is not negligible, but it's relaxing, never excessive. Even the supposed Perique content is moderate, so you won't get throat irritation or tonguebite.

If the tobacco gets a bit too dry (as in my case: I don't smoke much of this kind of blends, so the tin stayed open for more than a month), the Burley makes its presence more evident, with some slightly unpleasant harshness.

It's one of the most unusual and smoothest semi-aromatic blends you may have the chance to smoke... Too bad because it seems it went out of production!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

In the tin it appears to be primarily dark brown and black crimp cut tobacco with the addition of dark brown flakes and black strands. To me the tobacco smells of mango ala Major Grey's chutney. The initial light is acrid on the back of the palate and in the nose. However, it smooths out almost immediately. The smoke is very mild and sweet on the tongue. I do not get much, if any, distinctive tobacco flavor. The flavoring additive dominates this mild blend. The unusual flavoring is not overpowering or off-putting. But for me, each puff delivers the taste of the flavoring additive rather than the taste of tobacco. This is a mild, mild smoke from start to finish. I smoked an entire tin and devoted one pipe to this tobacco, trying to get a handle on it. I will probably purchase Momoyama again and keep it on hand for a rare pipeful because of its unique taste. Paddy.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first trial of a Japanese pipe tobacco and the quality, as long evidenced in their autos, was clearly present here. The rubbed out tobacco ranges from golden brown to almost black and includes some interesting chunks that look to have been taken from a curly cut or rope. The originally white paper liner was stained from what I believe to be the natural sugars and oils in the blend. The intial tin aroma is sweetly alcoholic, fruity and very inviting but this faded as the tobacco dried out and was not as evident in the smoke. Packing and lighting were easy and a cool, effortless smoke resulted. The taste was nicely balanced and varied thru the smoke which makes me think that there is more here than just the VAs as indicated above. I'd suspect a nice touch of Perique. This blend is also very reasonably priced and well below most other tinned imports of this quality. Give it a try.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was lucky to get ahol of 100g from 2005 of this lovely tobacco. "Semi-aromatic"...that hits the nail on the head imho. Definetly flavored, but in a good manner that leaves room for the tobaccos to shine too, even supporting and enhancing the naural tobacco qualities. The flavoring is more present in the unburnt aroma, than in the smoke, which is a plus for me.

The tin note is hard to describe...I get licorice, caramel and nougat-ish, with fruity notes and an underlying pepper spice to be acknowledged. Almost a ribbon cut, this is a very fine broken flake. Black colors, with red and brown speckles, very few bright ones.

Intense and complex taste. There's the melange of various tobaccos and the top-flavoring that flatters them and vice versa! Peppery, sour-fruity Perique, nutty and earthy Burley, with distinct Oriental aroma that has a woodsy-nutty and sour-ish touch to it. The tobacco qualities are accompanied by a never obtrusive topping of fruitiness, maybe some caramel and very slight licorice. The topping is hard to describe, but I find it very pleasant and mild.

Great, pleasant flavor that will appeal to both aromatic fans and natural lovers, who like a mildly flavored tobacco by times. The aging diddn't fade the topping away tho and its still perfectly conditioned. Not too moist, but a bit. Could be dried for a short time if prefered.

4/4 star worthy, smooth as silk, semi-aromatic, tobacco forward blend that's very pelasant as a treat by times. Worth trying if you can get ahold of it.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Corn Cobs