A Rare Blend of Turkish, Virginia and Latakia

BrandComoy's of London
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Comoy's English Mixture is one of the better English blends I have tried in the last year. It is on the strong side and is heavy with latakia. I think that many smokers would describe this as a Balkan blend because of its strength. The latakia pretty well dominates this blend, so if you are looking for a wide range of flavor, look elsewhere. The look and cut of the tobacco is fairly typical, but the aroma is dominated by the latakia. The tobacco comes a little too wet for good burning and I found that even after letting it dry a little that it seemed to burn unevenly.

A good English/Balkan type blend, but only if you like strong latakia.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

I would call this blend MILD, compared to Gawith's Skiff, or Squadron Leader, or to Dunhill Nightcap. So I rate its strength as medium. Indeed for me it is creamy, very good, soft, easy to smoke. Not too much latakia,but perfectly balanced in flavour, strength and taste. I will buy it again.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a full English, and not a medium mixture. I didn't like ti at first but after trying quite a few other English mixes in the meantime, I realise that this is a decent, no-nonsense English, no gimmicks, just latakia in good amounts, and quite cheap and common where I am to boot.

A high quality classic English mixture. Heavy on Latakia, I wouldn't define it as a Balkan blend, although it comes close. The Orientals and Virginias are well balanced. As you work your way down the bowl, the Latakia receeds and the Orientals come to the front line, giving a spicy ending to the smoke.

I give it 2.5/4.

The latest issue of this once great mixture is the one made by Kolhase & Kopp. Nothing to share with the original full latakia masterpiece.