A rare blend of Turkish, Virginia and latakia

2.9
pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Comoy's English Mixture is one of the better English blends I have tried in the last year. It is on the strong side and is heavy with latakia. I think that many smokers would describe this as a Balkan blend because of its strength. The latakia pretty well dominates this blend, so if you are looking for a wide range of flavor, look elsewhere. The look and cut of the tobacco is fairly typical, but the aroma is dominated by the latakia. The tobacco comes a little too wet for good burning and I found that even after letting it dry a little that it seemed to burn unevenly.

A good English/Balkan type blend, but only if you like strong latakia.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (33)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a simple and enjoyable English blend with a tasty interplay of each of the component parts. I wouldn't describe it as complex, but it is rewarding if your preference is for latakia blends. Similar in some ways to Rattray's Accounts or Professional Mixtures, and with no bite or nicotine hit.

Burns easily with few if any relights, and a consistent flavour. An impressive and high quality tobacco which will suit those who enjoy latakia but don't want to be overwhelmed by it. It is very much a part but is supported in its woodsy, creaminess by sweet virginias and spicy orientals. I would recommend it above the Dunhills or Peterson lat offerings because it is not harsh, ashy or too virginia heavy. I would also place it above Commonwealth Mixture due to the constant oriental presence. Whatever the blend proportions it is well balanced.

Pipe Used: Several

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Comoy's of London - English Mixture.

Having just smoked a few bowls of Halberg Red, which I found disagreeable, I wanted something 'no-nonsense'. Just the smell alone from the unlit blend is enough to satisfy my craving for simplicity! Once lit it's exactly what I needed.

The flavour is quite well rounded: I get a subdued sourness, a good grassiness and a woody/smokiness; leaning more towards the woody than the smoky. Although it's English, it lacks some of the often found harshness that can sometimes come from blends with Latakia in.

The nicotine in English Mixture suits me nicely: dead on medium.

The room note isn't anything to shout about, it's a simple English one!

Due to my last bowl of Halberg Red I suspect I may be enjoying it more than I normally would so for this reason I'm not going to be swayed towards full marks!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Rattray's The Cave

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco's

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)

I would call this blend MILD, compared to Gawith's Skiff, or Squadron Leader, or to Dunhill Nightcap. So I rate its strength as medium. Indeed for me it is creamy, very good, soft, easy to smoke. Not too much latakia,but perfectly balanced in flavour, strength and taste. I will buy it again.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a full English, and not a medium mixture. I didn't like ti at first but after trying quite a few other English mixes in the meantime, I realise that this is a decent, no-nonsense English, no gimmicks, just latakia in good amounts, and quite cheap and common where I am to boot.

A high quality classic English mixture. Heavy on Latakia, I wouldn't define it as a Balkan blend, although it comes close. The Orientals and Virginias are well balanced. As you work your way down the bowl, the Latakia receeds and the Orientals come to the front line, giving a spicy ending to the smoke.

I give it 2.5/4.

The latest issue of this once great mixture is the one made by Kolhase & Kopp. Nothing to share with the original full latakia masterpiece.