Hand-blended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Notes: Produced in 1992, 1994-present in limited quantities. Tinned in July of the respective year.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Packaging50 grams or 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The vinegar/ketchup smell does appear in the taste of the tobacco, though it's much lesser than it smells. The Virginias are very ripe and dried dark fruit sweet, rather tangy with some earth, and hints of spice that remind me of the kind you get in eggnog without the eggnog flavor. The actual taste of tobacco is sublimated by the fermented sweetness. The nic-hit is mild. Burns a little slow with some moisture, unless you dry it some first, which I don't really recommend. Not a dull or harsh spot to be found, though there's a slight sharpness here and there. No bite either. Leaves moisture in the bowl, but no dottle and needs some relights. Has a consistent flavor all the way through, and a pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)

Was just gifted a generous sample of the 2000 vintage from a friend. This vintage is 17 years old this year.

The Virginias have just aged so well. There's nothing at all negative about this tobacco. Sweet and tangy, toasty from age and mellowed substantially smoother than this varietal is when fresh. Not much more you can really say in terms of flavor. It's the ultimate Virginia smoke and it makes my mouth water from the richness.

Pipe Used: Savinellis for Virginias

Age When Smoked: 17 years old

Purchased From: Gift sample

Similar Blends: Other vintages.

Looks like all the other CC's in the tin but this one has a HUGE fermented tin aroma that translates to ketchup or vinegar to some folks. If you don't like that smell, stay far away from this one. Or just dry it out to diminish the aroma and augment the flavors.

As always, I smoked a bowl of this at tin moisture and, as always, it was ok but not great. Properly dried out, this one was interesting in that it was one of the smoothest and cleanest smoking of all the CC's. There was the usual hit of tanginess from the orange/red and an occasional light spiciness and fruitiness but overall this was remarkable for its lack of complexity and it's seamless, top-to-bottom, single bolt of cloth flavor. Smooth! Very little in this tobacco called attention to itself. It was like the Velvet (OTC tobacco) of the Virginia world but with higher quality leaf. This is a sit back and relax while reading a book tobacco. You won't miss a word because of pondering the tobacco. And that was it's downfall for me. Don't get me wrong - this is still a 4 star blend, but it's not something I'd smoke a lot of, even if I had a lot of it to smoke. No jump factor. No heavy complexity, although it had a lot of depth. It just wasn't exciting enough for me. But of all the CC's I've smoked (and I still have 3 to go), this one was one of the most different from the pack. For those that think they all taste alike, try this one if you can find some.

RMP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMP (7)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I place McClelland's 2000 Christmas Cheer in the same group as PCCA's Millenium. Orange/Red VA's just don't get any better than these.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A soft, round VA with plenty of tang - not weak mind you - and possesing that light sweet creaminess of a premium VA.

A broken flake that does burn better when fully rubbed out.

I have tried many a straight VA and VA dominant blend (being a huge VA fan myself).

This blend - for my tatstes and opinion - I confidently declare,,,

The perfect VA!!!!!

Love it!!!

Merry Christmas all.

Well, I just couldn't help myself fellas. Maybe I'm in the Christmas spirit early. I was going to save my McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2000 for the next millennium, but my body is telling me I am not going to make it. So, I busted out my only tin of Christmas Cheer and this was it.

Sure tastes a lot like Christmas Cheer 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Well, it is a little mellower due to the aging, but the light and naturally sweet tasty is pretty much the same.

I like it. An early Merry Christmas to me.