Ribbon and coarse cut burleys, perique and red Virginia. Shades of brown with the characteristic mustiness of perique.

Notes: Notes from Bob: The blend was named in honor of my grandfather, who was also my pipesmoking mentor and role model. He primarily smoked burleys, like Union Jack and Edgeworth Sliced. I cannot think of a time when I didn't see him w/o one of his beat-up pipes and the aroma of pipe smoke around him. In any case, I was reading the reviews of Haunted Bookshop and Norm Musicant indicated that he liked more red Virginia in his blends. Norm is someone whose opinion I respect. I was still looking for a simple hearty burley blend that could hold my interest all day. So, a new blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz tin, 8oz tin, Bulk
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Full

3.2
A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Be careful with this one, because it can pack a wallop. I might go so far as to call it a gollyflopper, but I think that's a word I just now made up. This blend sneaks up on a body. The initial taste is the sort of high quality burley excellence that we have all come to expect from the Tarler/Runowski duo. But where Pegasus had sweetness, and Haunted Book Shop had musty oriental character, Old Joe has the bassy depth of stoved Virginia. Nice, very nice.

But then, all of a sudden there is a BAM, followed a SLAM, a BOP, a BIFF, and...a CRASH. Perique has entered the premises. From where, you don't know, but it is there, all right, and it has taken control. From then on this is a heady, exotic, Crowley-style blend that takes you to weird, mystic places and does not bring you home until it is damn good and ready. I'm not even sure if I have gotten back yet. All the same, Old Joe Krantz treats you cruel in a decent way. Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The bold burleys are toasty, nutty sweet, woody with a slight dry bitterness and hint of spice. The perique is plumy, raisiny and figgy with a strong hit of pepper and spice. These two components work well together and are the stars. The red Virginia is a secondary, but important part of the blend because it provides a necessary dark fruit sweetness (and a little earth) to keep OJK from being harsh. If you puff fast, you can experience some harsh notes along with a minute cigarette taste, and I recommend puffing at a slow to moderate rate. Burns well with few relights, and moderately cool with no bite, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. It has more than a medium nic-hit, and is not an all day smoke. I would rate this at four stars, but GQ's Askwith Kake does what OJK does a little better. Three and half stars for this mixture.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

Nearly a year ago I tried my first OJK with some trepidation given the reputation it has of being a powerhouse burley. I packed my first bowl at the B&M without exploring the unlit aroma, just lighting up and driving away. About half way down the bowl I had to slow myself down, both vehicle velocity and puffing cadence. Wow! I did like this blend.

Being a normally English smoker with C&D Engine 99 as my favorite this was a complete surprise for me. While I did like the C&D Burley Flakes that I've tried, this was divine. Simply put, this is a 'tribute' blend to American smoking tobacco tradition - with the big three American varieties - Burley, Perique and Red Virginia. The unlit aroma is alluring, delicious-smelling without added topping or casing. Clean burn, the pipe cleaner emerges barely soiled and no tongue bite or rasped palates. Natural sweetness, nutty notes. It performs as one might expect from the burleys and perique with the Red Va being applied as a condiment. One might not pick it out in the smoke but most likely would miss it were it not in there.

I smoke this daily now. Several time a day and it has nearly replaced my VaPers. Another thing: this is the blend that finally kicked the cigarette monkey off my back - dead cold.

A classic in the making. Bob Runowski will be missed.

An unabashedly given and well earned FOUR Stars

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

Old Joe is a great smoke! I really enjoyed my recently gifted tin of this blend as its presentation was unique, tasty and not overwhelming in the Perique department. In fact, OJK is laced with just the right amount of that Louisiana product for me to tolerate. Some C&D blends overpower my taste buds with Perique, but not this one.

Although not busting at the seams with nicotine, there was enough of of that drug in this tobacco to perk me up.

Easy to load, light and keep lit; Old Joe Kranz offers a pleasant Burley taste with just enough Virginia to mellow out the flavor. Personally, I think OJK would be even better with no Perique at all, but as it is, I'll sure take a free tin anytime!

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

If Dr. Who ever visits, I'm going to toss him a Barling pipe and 2 oz sack of Old Joe Krantz and ask him to go back in time and find my 18-year-old self and instruct him in their usage. Old Joe Krantz is exactly what tobacco should be: rich natural flavors, a subtle blend, high power for people who think their way through life as opposed to simply munching cheeseburgers, and enough variety to be tasty if smoked fast, slow or in-between. The predominant flavor here is C&D's savory dark burley, with added red Virginias to calm and sweeten it, with Perique scattered throughout to add texture and dimension.

Our nickname for this is "O.D. Joe Krantz" because of its relatively high nicotine content. This makes it a perfect "work tobacco" when a solid problem needs to be reduced to a quivering mass, and I can imagine Sherlock Holmes crouched on his armchair burning three pipes of OJK before leaping up with the name of the murderer. However, the strength is overstated. If you are new to pipe smoking, start with half a bowl. The speed at which you smoke it depends on how much nicotine accumulates in your person. If you have never smoked before and blaze a full bowl of OJK in ten minutes, you might find yourself on the floor with the spins. If you have smoked cigarettes, this is a dose similar to Dunhill cigarettes: a solid blast of nicotine, stimulating those synapses and nudging the neurons.

Liking natural tobaccos is both a strange and extremely normal thing. The many flavors that can be coaxed from tobacco render almost infinite interesting blends, and the drenching of sugary flavoring that makes aromatics resemble so much of the other insincere plastic mass-conformist junk out there pales in comparison. With OJK, I think it is time to demystify this one: it is a quality Burley blend and one of my favorites, but a simple blend, which means (paradoxically) that it holds the interest longer because its appeal is a few fundamental ingredients in contrast. In contrast, highly-detailed tobacco constructions have too many contradictory impulses and end up in that chaos losing depth and complexity. OJK reveals its many possibilities with repeated smokes where you have the time to appreciate it, much like a summer day with a fast breeze and high cloud cover will always be a calming experience. It may not be as mature as the Dunhill blends, and it has a slight bitterness reminiscent of fresh-cut plants, but its depth of essential flavors makes this one a perennial favorite.

2017 update: some time during this year, Old Joe Krantz changed, and it is a mixed bag. The original blend used giant fistfuls of the dark Burley that C&D also sells as a blending ingredient, slightly mediated by the white Burley that is available a catalog page over. As a result, it produced radically different estimates of its strength. Burley people like myself did not find it particularly heady, but those who are sensitive to Burley reported it as a hefty dose of Nicotine. The truth is probably in the middle... there is something in dark Burley which is like eating green fruit in that it makes you feel a bit queasy and gives you the spins if you have too much as a Burley susceptible person. The new Old Joe Krantz is ribbon cut instead of rough cut, uses more of the white Burley by my taste, has more moisture, and is a true medium strength tobacco thanks to the lower count of dark Burley. On the plus side, this burns a lot better than the original; on the downside, it lacks some of the delicious Nicotine of the older blend, and is heavier due to moisture that does not really enhance the flavor. Looking at the bright side, it really feels like the "best OTC you have ever smoked" now, and seeing how C&D are following the Sir Walter Raleigh and Captain Black model with now three total variants of Old Joe Krantz, it would not surprise me if this started showing up in drugstores as "Old Joe" in a few years. I miss the stronger original blend, but this is still a fine smoke and now is even easier to puff it all day; I shore up mine with some thin-sliced "Brown No. 4" hidden among the golden-brown shreds.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

This is a sofisticated Burley Mixture....I note much more the Burley (bitter taste) and the Perique (peppery taste) than the Virginias. I also note some spicy taste. I dont consider it very strong (is strong, but not very strong) in Nicotine, but in flavour and taste, yes! Full flavour and taste. Excelent mixture, I recommend for Burley and Perique fans. I atributed 4 Stars. Further evaluation: With dry weather, as in my City, after open the bag with this tobacco, it dries something and gains "body", the Burley is just more combined with the Perique. The result is even better!

Pipe Used: An Hilson, Canadian Shape.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: TabacoBr, Brazil

C&D OJK was a treat. I found the blend to have a pleasant slightly bitter/sour taste that was pretty constant through the bowl. There is more of the bitter to me. The perique is there and I can taste it, but it is just another flavor in the mix and not the main attraction. There is enough of the Virginia to provide a little sweet to go with the bitter/sour. This one had a lot of flavor, and anyone who wants a tobacco that is "not bland" should try this if there is not a burley or perique aversion.

This one has a little more nicotine than most things I smoke, but like the perique presence, it is enough to notice and not so much that I am swimming in it. OJK was very good and a tasty diversion. I will probably buy some of this to keep it around.

Edit: I have since smoked up another 4 oz. of this, and I am liking this a lot. The next order will be a pound.

Edit2: I am maybe 5 pounds into the OJK experience. I find this very satisfying and have a few pipes that really perform with OJK. I have found that a half bowl of Haunted Bookshop topped with a half bowl of OJK is a combo that really works well for me.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: uncertain

Purchased From: (initially) bulk from someone who did not like it

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It's a shame I can't give this one five stars. This is the closest thing to a "perfect" blend I've come across. This is, as others have pointed out, perhaps the best American-style blend on the market today, which is high praise indeed.

Another reviewer described this as a "kaleidoscope of naturals," and I agree. The burley used here is delicious, and it basically serves as the canvas on which the virginia and perique get to show their stuff. As a perique lover, I can't get enough of this blend-- it's supposedly composed of something like 25% of that spicy leaf, and as the bowl progresses it shifts back and forth between a fruity/sweet flavor and a more spicy/sour one.

But this blend's smokability is what really pushes this to the top of my cellar. It smokes with all the ease of a drugstore burley and almost never bites, even when puffing like mad on a large bowl.

Like most C&D blends, I do recommend letting it age a few months and then letting it dry out a little before smoking it. I prefer to buy mine pressed, but it's great either way. I've also found that adding about 10-15% latakia makes for a very enjoyable American English blend, if you're so inclined.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Other burley blends are a dingy, Old Joe is a battleship. If Pee Wee Herman is the leading man, Old Joe is Arnold Schwarzenegger. All other Burley blends are a screen door, Old Joe -gates of Iron.

Old Joe Krantz is a strong, strong blend without a hint of sweetness. It may have VA listed among the ingredients but the sweetness is as far as a pig from the moon. I describe Old Joe as Harsh with a deep dryness. It went great with my coffee but I had to add more sweet cream in my mug to balance out the smoke in my pipe. This blend packs a WALLUP in every area. If this is an old school smoke it left me the impression of a tough leather neck marine smoking gun powder and leather. You know how there are different levels of burley for blending? Well this one is the hard nicotine full body version. Now add a good deal of Perique. That's Old Joe Krantz.

Pipe Used: Cob, basket pipe.

Purchased From: PipesandCIgars.com

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch note is heavy with prune, cigar leaf, caramel, and a very faint, almost "minty" smell.

Char and first draw. MAN THIS IS HUGE! Really bold, potent flavors of sungrown cigar leaf, oak, heavy black pepper, and charred meat (yes, meat). The aftertaste left on my tongue and roof of my mouth reminded me of peppered roasted squash/pumpkin and walnuts. An attempt at a retrohale/snork and a french inhale both left me thinking a suckerpunch to the nose would be preferable, or maybe I'm a great big pansy. The snork, however, did open up the earthy flavors I previously only tasted on my tongue after the smoke had left my mouth.

Room note throughout is pretty spot-on with the flavor, roasted walnuts and spicy cigar leaf.

As the bowl progressed, the squash/pumpkin/walnut flavors really grew to be very, very nice... a potent earthiness, mildly sweet, that I'd compare to a warm cup of black tea on a cold day... warming and mellow.

I can see why this is a favorite among so many, there is a lot going on here. I'm not man enough to make a blend like this an everyday smoke (I found it very strong), or even a smoke after breakfast like I did today, but this tobacco seems like it begs me for a glass of smooth bourbon on a cool and quiet Friday night.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

Chrisj2001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chrisj2001 (2)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

One burley to rule them all-- This is the burley that made me love burleys. It's nuanced and balanced in a way that can only be described and transcendent. The nutty burley and musty perique are made for each other. Always burns cool and dry and great for an all day smoke. Arrives smokable and really melds after 3 months or so. Highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Briar Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Sort of a rough cut, but not too rough. Mostly medium red and brown with a good percentage of darker leaf.

Aroma: Great nutty Burley aroma right on top, with some sweet Virginia and sour Perique peeking out.

Packing: Packs well in all but the smallest bowls, which need a lighter touch.

Lighting: Lights exceptionally easily, sometimes one match and a tamp with no relight.

Initial flavor: A simple blend to the palate. Just what you expect from the aroma. Lots of flavor, and lots of mouth feel. A perfect balance of the ingredients. Burns readily, but not hot.

Mid-bowl: The Perique really comes on more assertively, with just enough Virginia sweetness to keep in under control. The nutty Burley flavor hangs in there as a strong component, never in the background, but never in total dominance either. Stays quite cool at reasonable puffing rates. I haven't ever gotten it to burn hot.

Finish: Well behaved to the last, burns to a clean dark gray ash with no soggy bottom.

Summary: Although I'm not a "Burley Guy" as a rule, I do appreciate a well made Burley blend as a change from Virginias and Orientals. This is definitely at the top of the genre. Richer in flavor than it's close cousin Haunted Bookshop, which I also love. Another wonderful effort from Bob, the king of the burley blenders.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I was all set to write a review and I see that 1/2 bowl already said 90% of my thoughts! The only thing I'd add is that the mixing of the various tobaccos seems haphazard. And that those that rate this blend as "smooth" or as a potential "all-day smoke" must have asbestos tongues! I salute those who like this blend, but it sure did nothing for me. Two stars is a gift, and given mostly because I'm just sure that anything from Cornell & Diehl has to be of high quality leaf, even though I could not say so in all certainty.

Try this if you enjoy natural burley taste with one hell of a lot of perique thrown in, and you're not into nuances or subtleties. Yowch!

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Old Joe has a rep for being a real ass kicker, he is a strong one albeit he ain't Brown Pigtail but he ain't your Granny's peach snuff either. I found Joe to be a wonderful combination of various tobaccos that worked well together. The Burley adds a good honest nut flavor The Virginia comes in with the grassy notes, the dark burley adds some earthy but sweet/spicy attributes and then that old indian friend of mine peppery Perique. with this combo mixed in the right proportions you got a winner in my book. Packs well easy to light and smokes true to form fro start to finish. some have advised to smoke old joe in a small bowl, I like a big bowl so he can spread out and work his magic. One suggestion I will impart though Smoke him slow or he could blow the top of your head off! Old joe is a marathon blend not a sprinter. Highly recommended as an entry into strong smoke. One note or afterthought I have noticed that Old Joe does age well in a Mason jar so buy extra to cellar

Pipe Used: Cobs and various large bowl briars

Age When Smoked: right out the bag and jar age various stages

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A friend who has similar preferences to tobacco recommended this to me. I got the bulk from Smokingpipes and it was a mostly brown to dark brown bag of coarse cut tobacco with hints of red. It was a little on the dryer side when it came.

I must warn you, this is not a tobacco for someone looking to try something stronger for the first time. OJK is a no nonsense tobacco with a full amount of pure natural tobacco flavor. It packs very easily and lights the same. I can usually get down to the bottom where it burns to a perfect white ash with one match.

One thing I will say that is special to this tobacco is that, in my experience, it starts off very astringent, sharp, smokey and strong. But once you pass the first 1/8 of the bowl, it really mellows out (comparatively speaking). Have a drink at hand for that first 1/8.

There is so much going on here that some may confuse it with lacking depth, nothing could be further from the truth. The VAs run back of forth with thin strips of sweetness while the Burleys and Perique take the larger strides in the smoke. The last 1/4 of the smoke is simply wonderful where all of the flavors start to meddle together providing a truly unique smoke.

OJK in a cob is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this blend. I feel it really helps round off some of the sharp notes and provides the best method of enjoyment.

I find this to be the older stronger curmudgeon brother to burley flake #3.

Pipe Used: Mortas, briars and cobs

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #3.

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (33)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the worst parts about living in Hungary is being unable to purchase American blends such as Cornell & Diehl, G.L. Pease, etc. The government nationalized the sale of tobacco, a state-wide monopoly on profits and distribution of tobacco. The end result: Excessive taxes on imported tobacco, corrupt Hungarian politicians earning a fortune, and me being forced to smoke Borkum Riff and the mediocre Hungarian blends before I started ordering online from other EU countries. Long story short, I ordered 5 tins (including this one) from smokingpipes.com, and was hit with a $100 shipping tax a few weeks ago. And you think your government is corrupt?

Anyway, enough with my sob story; I have been waiting A VERY LONG TIME to try Old Joe and was quite excited to open the tin. After paying the ridiculous shipping tax and waiting months for it to arrive, this blend better be good! And yes, it was damn good!

Upon opening the tin, my first breath was filled with sweet molasses, with fig and dried fruit overtones. It has a very refreshing, sweet, and fresh natural aroma. This is just what I was hoping for.

Perfect to smoke the second you open the tin, no need to dry out. After my first smoke, an immediate, molasses/ maple taste, followed by wood and nut-like flavor hit my taste buds. The Burley’s take center-stage here and I must say: Cornell and Diehl have some of the best burley’s I have ever tasted. Absolutely magnificent! Mid-way through the bowl, the taste then suddenly changes into a smooth, cigar-like flavor. Old Joe satisfies your sweet tooth in the beginning, and then settles you in with a very smooth, balanced cigar taste to finish. Really nice.

The Perique is noticeable, but not overwhelming and is balanced with the Virginias. And boy, is this a strong one! I usually smoke 2-3 times a day, but the nicotine strength in this one forces me to smoke just once, and wanting a large glass of water after.

Smoking this blend was quite bittersweet: definitely a great blend and something I would love to add to my regular rotation, but difficult to acquire in Europe unless I want to cough up another $100 shipping tax and not have money to eat during the week. At least I will starve to death happy, while smoking this excellent blend from Cornel and Diehl!

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This is a tobacco with a serious kick. A lot of Red Virginia, a lot of Perique, and a good bit of Burley. I like a lot of blends that others claim are pretty strong; University Flake, Wessex Burley Slice, Haunted Bookshop, etc. This old codger leaves them all in the dust. Usually, I can't finish a whole bowl in one sitting and have to take a break to finish it. Thankfully, it DGTs quite well and I have no problem coming back to it after the hiccup fits force me to slow it down.

I know that I'm making this sound like it's a bad review, but I don't mean it to be. This is an excellent tobacco from a well-reputed blender and tobacco house. It's certainly not an all-day blend for me, but when I want to have my butt handed to me, this one fits the bill. If you can smoke this stuff with no real problems with the Vitamin N level, you're stouter than me! I give a solid 3 stars on this one. I'll never have more than one bowl of this a day, however!

Danno44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno44 (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Being a former cigarette smoker, I am not afraid of Nicotine, which is good with this blend. I tried various tobaccos when starting my pipe smoking journey a little over 2 years ago but, nothing was scratching the itch for the nic especially in the AM with coffee. Then it was recommended to try OJK. As a fan of the OTC burley blends, this is OTC on steroids. The tin note is strong but pleasant. It has woodsy with fruit/plum and spicy notes. The nuttiness of the burley is there, and the perique is present. The Virginia is also there but in the background to me. Overall I just get a deep earthy smoke with a good amount of flavor. Although very good on its own, the flavors build and change slightly as you smoke down through the bowl. Starts a little strong then mellows out, and towards the end the nic can be felt. I like to mix it with Chantham Manor, Carter Hall, Prince Albert for an added kick. When mixed it can be an all day smoke, however not an all day smoke on its own for me. The blend appears to prefer cobs either on its own or mixed. The room note, I have been told, is just ok but reminds folks of a cigarette smell, but a little better, so I would say fair overall in that area. Alone it can bite if cadence is quick, as a mix I haven't experienced any bite. For me it is a "cellar it" because I use it as a mix primarily. I also noticed that with a little age, say after a year, flavors get deeper yet mellows.

Pipe Used: MM cobs any shape

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year of age

Dark Passage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dark Passage (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I see a lot of comparison here of Old Joe Krantz to Haunted Bookshop. While I consider this apt, To me I think of it like comparing white wine to red--HB being the dryer white wine and OJK the fuller, heavier red.

I find smoking OJK to be a richly satisfying experience. I get a dusting of clean sugary sweetness, together with a delicious dry bitterness like you find in a dark ale, along with rich nutty flavor, filled in with the Deep fermented taste of perique, all topped with a healthy dousing of black pepper. Utterly delicious!

Pipe Used: various briars

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another blend I have to give credit to YouTube Pipe Community Presenter, "Matches860" for. Watching John's videos has opened me up to some really superb blends, this being one of them.

To my personal taste, Old Joe Krantz is like Haunted Bookshop on steroids!! Be respectful and smoke this one like a gentleman or Old Joe will kick your ass!!

If you haven't already, check out "Matches860" videos on YouTube. Light up a bowl and sit back and enjoy and maybe, like me, you might just learn a thing or two. Great presenter and all around nice guy!

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Solaria" 614, Savinelli "Roma" 614

Similar Blends: Haunted Bookshop (Only Stronger and Bolder).

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)

WOW... this is a really old man... if you dont respect him, he will torment you... now about this tobacco, it's a good tobacco, strong in your flavor but with time, you will know, step by step, how to smoke this tobacco after this, this old makes a friendship with you and will propitiate a very good smoke.

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A favorite! Great, earthy and slightly nutty, Burley flavor with a little sweetness from the Va. Strong nic hit, which is always appreciated. An all around great old school tobacco if you are into a lot of tobacco flavor with nothing added. I am currently out of stock with Old Joe, but will always have a place for this blend.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an outstanding burly blend. Love the peppery overtone of perique and the sweetness and aroma of the VA. This is in the running with GLP Haddo's Delight for me (another one of my favorites). I would recommend this blend for the more seasoned smokers. Definitely a blend to be puffed gently. Not a good blend for breaking in.

Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Strong and harsh. Can't find the pleasure in this one. Good northern winter tobacco for when you only can stand outside for a few puffs , plenty of Nicotine ! Burley is the main player, some sweetness at a sip but very one dimensional. In the straight VaPerBur category, C&D's " Three Friars" is much smoother and more interesting and P&C's "SumzaBitches" has more Perique and both keep the Burley in the background better than OJK.

I'm with reviewer " DK" from 5/21/09

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I like this C and D blend. It is great in a cob, burns well, has a smooth taste and aroma and reminds me very much of a nice creamy cigar. It was biteless, has a sweet, full flavor and leaves no goop in the pipe. I like the perique in this blend, has a slightly musty taste and aroma but it is wonderful with a cold dark beer. I wanted to smoke another bowl of this after my first, a good sign. I enjoy this blend and reommend it.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I bought this one to try something new. Got it by looking through the tobacco locator on Smokingpipes.com. This one hit all the right buttons.

The tin note is burley overly. This is the main component you'll notice. The ribbons are really nice for C&D, even uniform. Close to a cigarette shag. It packs well, and takes a few lights to get it going properly. Does form an ash cake that will prevent relights if you just tamp the ash down. Best to stir it off and ash it out, I find.

It's earthy and smokey. The perique isn't very generous imho, but adds a nice bit of spice to it, with a bit of dark fruit. This is brought out well by the small amount of red va they put in here. Also adds a light sweetness that is very helpful. It's simple and strong, but not too simple. It's also delicious, I could smoke this all day once I got used to the strength. Good straightforward tobacco flavor, without getting dull. No bite, and a nice dry smoke.

I tried haunted bookshop recently, and this is much better I think. It says the man just tinkered with the blend a bit. He did very well. Worth trying if you like strong tobaccos of mostly burley. And/ or are also a fan of va/pers. It reminds me of haddos delight with a lot less perique and va. Same sort of vibe comes from it. If you like those, but not strong blends, man up and try an ounce. Worst case, you're out a few bucks. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Haunted bookshop, haddos delight..

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

What a wonderful burley blend! It is well balanced with perique and other things. The earthiness, combined with the peppy nature.It has a lot of Vitamin N , with some Virginia that is quality.

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (37)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

If I could describe this blend in one word at first impression it would certainly be "HARSH", and "addictive" runs in a close second. This blend is definitely not for the uninitiated or novice or occasional pipe smoker; this is a Grizzly Adams faced, Chuck Norris roundhouse with Wild Turkey 101 proof chaser...with perique. At first light this sneaky b*stard greats you kindly with the taste of quality, sweet Virginia; then quickly introduces you to C&D's iconic stout, earthy Burleys; and once the Perique steps in to join the dance you've got a stout smoke indeed. This blend will be mostly Perique and Burley, with the Perique in this blend giving the impression it is unrefined; mostly pepper with with hints of raisin, but I believe that this is mostly due to the heavy handed application of it. The key to this blend is to puff at a very moderate pace. Personally, I hated at first, but I persisted because I noticed this was a favorite of many pipe smokers, and I'll tell you what: it's definitely worth a try. Overall, a great smoke, but not yet my cup of grog. I'll keep this one on hand to lock and load when I want what it has to offer: a heavy dose of nicotine and some great baccy flavor in the rough. Gonna try aging this one. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Similar Blends: A kick in the gut from a barnyard animal with perique on the side..

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

I really enjoy Burleys. It delivers a full taste but in a completely different way vs. Latakia (which I also love). Burleys deliver a more earthy flavor that get me in touch with the outdoors. This is a very flavorful blend, but not as much punch as Haunted Bookshop. That is OK with me because it makes it more of an all-day type of blend. Packed well. Smokes well. No tongue bite (and I puff like a locomotive). No relighting. Wife found the room note somewhat enjoyable. C&D in my opinion has mastered Burley blends. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them if you like Burleys.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade & Peterson

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Ach!! This is some harsh smoke fellas, I need to toughen up.

I liked it, sublime tin note, and once it got going and was warm it was very good. Packs a decent wallop, I found myself giving it a lot of respect the whole way down the bowl, even after it mellowed at little at the halfway mark.

I couldn't get over how harsh the smoke was. It was sharp and intense, and it made me puff slowly and very carefully to get smaller amounts of smoke out of it which I then delicately managed. I don't think I've ever been so cautious about a smoke, maybe my first go-around with the Irish Flake.

Overall, a nice burley, and for a drop-dead price. That is good. I just couldn't relax with it though and found myself having to really focus on how I was smoking it, something I have never had to do to the same degree, even with harsher blends.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Old Joe Krantz… I finely got around to trying this blend after so many years. As it turned out, blends like this one, that are heavy on perique are not my favorites, between the high nic level and OJK’s spicy flavor, I gave up after smoking only about half of my new tin. When I need a solid nicotine punch in the head, I already have that covered with C/D burly flake #2, without the pepper. Of course this only my personal take on OJK, looking around this web-site, it looks like many of my fellow pipesters just love this stuff, so I guess my taste may run a little bit (old school) on the basic blend side. But for those that enjoy a SOLID Nic hit” and a nice spicy smoke, look no further, OJK is for you.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This might be my first 2 star awarded to a C & D blend. I really love their tobaccos, but this one just did not do it for me. Probably pushing this rating is how much I enjoyed Back Porch, the blend made by C & D for the Yahoo Pipe Smokers Club that contains the same constituent tobaccos.

The one thing this has over Back Porch is its availability in bulk. I know that Haunted Bookshop and one of the Burley blends (#3 I think) are availablew in bulk and contain Va Bur and Per. I will need to try these out to see if one of them compares to Back Porch, but in a bulk option.

As to this blend specifically, it is strong in Nicotine which is almost to be expected from C & D and is a plus for me. The quality of leaf is good and burning properties are fair, but that is where the positives end for me.

As to the negatives, it takes a lot of concentration to get a good smoke out of it and the good taste is fleeting at least to my tastes. The one ounce I purchased was from the bottom of the bag. I know this because I originally ordered 4 oz, but P&C did not have that much left. To speed my order along I took one ounce and some other tobacco to equal the value, so I received more than an ounce, but it was certainly the bottom of the bag. What does this mean? Well, I don't know, but perhaps the mixture at the bottom did not resemble what would have been on top and maybe I got too much perique or something was out of equilibrium. All this means I may try it again, but only after trying the others referenced above.

8/26/14 EDIT

I just finished up another two ounces of this blend and will be adding a star. I found it much more enjoyable and think what I first received may have been crumbs at the bottom containing too much perique.

I found this one really sang in my Dunhill 5103 shell, but had the potential to leave me floored if I had not enough in my stomach. I still would not recommend starting the day with this one, but it is a nice nightcap. So three stars.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

I've been hanging out with OJK for a few weeks now and though he's not an everyday companion, I see him at least a few times a week. OJK is a burly Burley with loads of flavor from the condimental leaf--Virginia and Perique. The whole of it comes together with a trail-mixy quality--dried fruit, nuts, and sweetness. Maybe it's best smoked on the hiking trail, but I haven't tried that yet.

I love a good cigar and if there is one more thing attractive and unique about this blend, it's the woody, cigar-like quality of the flavor's finish.

The only drawback with this blend is its extraordinary springiness at first light. It lifts itself out of the pipe like a chin-up artist and seems to need extra attention with the tamper. But such idiosyncrasies are easily forgiven in the face of such flavor. Highly recommended for part-time pipesters with penchants for stogies, trail mix and acrobats.

And it's particularly nice with an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I have lately discovered my tastes have changed and it seems OJK is coming across as a tad dry (as in Martini or Vermouth, not humidity) and have found that 10-15% Captain Black Gold adds a wonderful room-note and ups the sweetness. As anyone who has smoked CBG knows there is no flavor just a bit of sweetness along with a Vanilla Yogurt aroma which suits what i need it to do. P&C's sale of any Captain Black blend for $1.50 an ounce regardless of amount is a screaming deal so i mixed up a pound of my OJK and CBG walking about blend

This burley blend is just delicious! After smoking this blend for a few months and trying different samples from various online shops it has become a staple in my arsenal. The perique is present in an amount that gives a nice tingle when blown through the nose and is never overpowering for me. The pouch aroma is to die for (for anyone that loves the aroma of uncased tobacco) an the roomnote leaves much to be desired so you may want to add a pinch of 1Q or BCA if your company is intolerant. I have found i prefer Outwest tobacco's stash of OJK since Gene keeps it at a perfect 70 % humidity and seems aged longer than other e-tailors. Smokes great in small pipes or huge freehands, Meer and cob, just a great all day blend for me and the first burley blend with perique that i find i have a couple of pounds ageing in my "cellar". For me the nicotine is perfect Goldilocks level but YMMV as it is not a sissy blend,

markh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
markh (4)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I really have nothing to add to the other descriptions. I really like this tobacco.

BUT - it is very strong in nicotine, and sneaks up on you. In that way it reminds me of Two Friends Redwood - a blend that doesn't seem like it would be that strong, but which Greg Pease describes with "that stuff knocks me over."

Not much in common taste wise, but like Redwood this tobacco also smokes easy, with no bite. So its tempting to smoke quickly...Which will knock YOU over.

Keep this in a small bowl.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I will not elaborate on the finer points of this tobacco, that's been said. I was taken by the first puff of the first bowl of Old Joe, a man who must have had discriminating taste. This tobacco packs and burns extremely well - few relights. At times it can provide a salty taste (at least for me), something some smokers seek and like in a tobacco and others despise. Personally, I welcome it. Old Joe won't bite you, he's too nice. The perique is discernible and enhances the smoking pleasure. If you don't want to try a full burley blend but would rather 'dip your toes (read tongue)' in burley with some spicy perique, start with Old Joe, he won't disappoint you.

Muchogum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Muchogum (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I have not really ever enjoyed a C&D blend, so I had to ask myself why pull up a tin of OJK from the basement stash? Answer: I love the Burley/Virginia blend above all others! But, OJK has the hated Perique! No matter, time for another chance to put aside my bias and stretch a bit. For me, that’s quite a stretch!

The flavor is simply wonderful, with no unpalatable aftertaste, just a little white pepper at the back of the throat and a nose tickle on retro-haling. Who can account for earlier aversions to pipe tobacco experiences. I cannot! But, my experience with OJK serves to remind me that tastes change. Maybe they mature and maybe they simply change with some kind of unfathomable taste chemistry. Perhaps I should re-experience all the C&D blends I have shoved aside. That could be fun!

It subsequently occurred to me that single malt whiskies, which I very much enjoy, especially in their higher ABV expressions, will attack the lips and gums much the way the Perique does in OJK! I enjoy that malt flavor experience. I suppose part of my difficulty in similarly enjoying perique could be an “over-emphasis” on smoothness in my flavor/tactile experience.

Pipe Used: Dunhill ODA

Age When Smoked: 2-3 Years

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

pete177 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pete177 (3)

Wow, what a great straight forward and stout burley blend. Not an especially complex blend but strong, flavorfull and satisfying. Room note and flavor takes you back to those places in decades past where men gathered smoking their pipes. Nic hit is stout, as it should be; otherwise, what's the point? Of the many blends I've smoked this is the only one that you simply cannot press hard enough to bite or irritate your mouth. Can be smoked hot in a wet pipe and still doesn't bite. Easily an all day smoke. It's availability and bulk pricing make it a no brainer for the guy that smokes several bowls a day. A great American style blend. Flavored cavendish smokers need not apply.

Pipe Used: grabow, kaywoodie, MM

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I really enjoyed this blend. It just had an outstanding flavor with no bite whatsoever. I would consider this a burley blend, which is good. I might got a touch of the Perique, but it's small. The strength was good, almost perfect.

Col. Stuffinpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Col. Stuffinpuff (14)

An amazing Burley forward, perique and red Virginia blend. Has a stout kick, and very dry in the pipe and on the tongue. Doesn't bite, and great in the cob I have dedicated to it.

Stronger than Bayou Morning, but not as bread-ey sweet.

Highly recommended for those looking for an assertive burley.

Pipe Used: MM, Stanwell HCA

Piping Padre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piping Padre (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I think you have to be in the right mood for this one-- either that or love burleys. As having been a cigar smoker for a number of years, I think the best comparison is to a medium strength, dry, leathery cigar. It builds strength just like a cigar, and leaves a sour after taste like one too. This is not a cigar blend, it just reminds me of many of my former cigar smokes. The burley is dominant here. Once in awhile the virginia comes through. If you get in a nice slow, cool, cadence, this blend is quite enjoyable, but I would recommend a strong beverage along side to clear the palette, as this will build up on you. It's worth a try as something different, but for me, I will smoke it only occasionally. There are times when I enthusiastically enjoy it, and times when it is just too much. The nic hit is pleasant.

Pipe Used: Peterson SH Original

Similar Blends: A cigar.

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (9)
Extremely Strong None Detected Overwhelming Strong

I ordered this as a known very strong nicotine bomb. I did this as a former (well, attempting to be) cigarette smoker. I've found that most pipe tobacco I enjoy doesn't have enough nicotine to keep me from a cigarette later. This is one of the few Burley based blends I've tried as I've mostly stuck with aromatics (Lane BCA, for instance) and English blends (I really enjoy EMP and am learning to enjoy the bolder Nightcap). So honestly I'm not entirely certain that I particularly enjoy non-cased, non-Cavendish burley.

EDIT: I now know that I love the taste of a nice Burley, just not an uncured tasting one such as this.

For me, the bag note and the taste were both strongly vegetal in a way that I did not enjoy. I felt as if I was smoking eggplant or chewing on some nightshade family plant (to which tobacco is related). I did get the characteristic burley nuttiness, but was overwhelmed by the unpleasantness of this blend. I should say that I also have limited experience with perique, though I have enjoyed it in some English and VaPers. It may be that my reaction was related to the strength of perique.

I was unable to make it through even a quarter of a bowl before I was feeling green. Now, I would be tempted to say this was a reaction to the nicotine level, but I think it was a combination of the uncured taste of this tobacco as well as the nic hit. I grew up raising tobacco with my father (two acres of dark-fired Virginia every summer ) and the smell and taste was very reminiscent of my hands after a day in the field of topping or removing and squishing tobacco worms. In fact, this smelled like my childhood memories of totally uncured tobacco fresh from the field, which is as unpleasant as tobacco gets.

I ventured a retrohale near the end of this experience and I regretted it for days. The smell was still in my nasal passages for what seemed like forever and kept me from picking up my pipe for two days.

I've jarred the rest of the ounce I bought hoping it will be smokeable for me at some point.

Pipe Used: Large briar billiard

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This is the other tin I purchased from C&D at our 2014 NASPC show to sample along with Haunted Bookshop; which, I thought, was too weak as a stand alone smoke but blended well and that allowed me to raise its ranking from two to three stars. Old Joe Krantz is in another whole category by itself in comparison. My initial assessment was as a three star offering and here's why. Although nice and toasty and tasty in its burley splendor, every bowl I lit proceeded through the following pattern: I would light, the tobacco would erupt up out of the bowl like a Vesuvius event and I would tamp down and relight - repeatedly. The minimum number of retamps and relights would always number three or more and consume the entire top third of every bowl! I'm giving this blend a high score even though I have only a vague idea what the top third of each bowl tastes like. Interestingly enough, a fellow smoker was over on Christmas day with - what else - an opened tin of Old Joe and we lit it up and it behaved like it was a polite college graduate compared to mine? When I would hit the beginning of the middle third of each bowl, the smoking was so enjoyable and it finished in the same manner. This fact, plus the fact that it micro blended well, has to yield four stars in any realm of the smoking universe - four big ones.

Pipe Used: Charatan Selected 1/2 bent square Dublin

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs old

Purchased From: C&D @the 2014 naspc show

Similar Blends: wow, I don't really know as most VaBurPers I've smoked aren't even close to Old Joe's strength level..

Bud_Harold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bud_Harold (22)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I find this blend to be harsh and boring. Not much in the way of enjoyment for me, aside from the generous nic hit provided. Crank up the Va's a little..bring some sweetness into the equation to drown out the cigarette similarities..and perhaps C&D would be onto something.

Not horrible...just there, for me anyway.

Pipe Used: Yello bole Nova

Age When Smoked: 6 mos

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Another quality burley blend from C&D. Good earthy, nutty burley, which is a little bitter at times and touch of sweetness from the Virginia and probably from the plumminess (?) that you get from the Perique Old Joe is full flavored and very tasty. Nicotine is there, but not overwhelming; of course as always when discussing nicotine your mileage may vary.

Only giving it 2 stars because for me there's a bit too much Perique. It feels somewhat like I took a pepper shaker and shook it directly into the back of my mouth. If you like a good bit of Perique this is probably a 3 or 3.5 star blend for you.

Pipe Used: variety of briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: A few months on the tin

grabowman69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grabowman69 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very interesting blend. The tin note reminds me of the feed that we used to give to chickens (in a good way). The flavor starts out mild, then as time goes on, a spiciness starts to intensify in the back of the throat. The room note is Tobacco-y? A great, unpretentious smoke.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Grand Duke

Age When Smoked: Brand spankin' new

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Strong Very Mild Overwhelming Overwhelming

Sure, there's burley in this, yeah, but it's no burley blend—that is to say, the burley does not dominate here. I got such a perique slam with this; it filled my sinuses up with pepper! Wasn't catching the burley at all. So, I don't know where burley enthusiasts get off saying this is a burley blend; not for me.

If you want the superb nuttiness of a quality burley, you will not find it in this blend (May I recommend Storm Front or even Bald Headed Teacher). Old Joe Krantz disappoints on the burley front (if you're a perique nut you'll probably love it).

And, now for some tongue and cheek fun:

Old Joe Krantz sittin' on his porch – He's a big man, mean and surley – Old Joe Krantz sittin' on his porch – I've found the perique – but not the burley!

(that about sums it up for me. Oh, FYI, this is a 1.5 stars; not a sub 1 star rank)

Keep on Pipin'

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

The first time I tried this blend it was not at all to my liking. I found it strong, bitter, acrid and almost unpleasant. I don't know exactly when I turned the corner with it, but I did.

Old Joe still tastes bitter to me, only now I find the bitterness to be enjoyable. It's a similar phenomenon to the long term growth of my preference for strong black coffee and it's surely a testament to my growing palate for tobacco. No sugar, no cream, just pure deep flavor.

Right from charring light, Old Joe Krantz is quite firm and its flavor is an uncompromising amalgamation of spicy Perique and pure straight bold but balanced tobacco flavor. Simple, hearty and unadulterated. I can surely see the appeal here. Altogether this is a potent, flavorful and undeniably stout mixture with no bite, and it burns perfectly from top to bottom.

Please take the time to reference morelysson's review of this mixture. It's quite telling, and it should be. After all, he blended it.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briar

Sentul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sentul (12)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought this just recently based on my love of the Night Train from the same C&D.

Like the review below, I found on lighting this there was a harshness that was definitely not there with Night Train.

I also found that if I gave it a couple of "false lights" and then left it for 5 or 10 minutes the harshness mostly disapeared but a slight bitterness persisted throughout the smoke.

I found it a bit stronger than Night Train with which I'm obviously comparing it to as these two tobaccos are my only current experience of the Virginia/Perique/Burley blends, so Night Train is my only reference.

This tobacco is first class and a lovely smoke strengthwise but the remaining harshness and slight bitterness spoil it somewhat.

It may depend how you smoke your pipe but smoking this tobacco gently and "kicking" it back over your soft palette can make it and your throat a bit sore, where Night Train and even stronger tobacos don't.

On this basis I'm giving OJK three stars. Well worth a try but of the two tobacos I've tried in this class, Night Train wins hands down for me.

I've put the strength in as "strong" because I need room for later reviews that are stronger. If I could put "strong to very strong" then I would.

OJK is good solid tobacco and for anyone who likes this type of blend is definitely worth a try but for the moment I'll take the Night Train.

Purchased From: Rich at 4noggins USA

Similar Blends: I've cmpared it to Night Train based on the tobaccos in the blend.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

IOk I'll weigh in on this one. Based on customer reviews I thought I'd give this one a go.

My sample from Smoking Pipes arrived yesterday sooo I loaded up a bowl. The pouch had that familiar musty smell from Perique- I am not a big fan of this but it's not a deal breaker.

Charring light revealed a very heavy bitter taste. OMG THIS IS AWFUL! I thought HOW CAN ANYONE ENJOY THIS?!!!

Well I persevered- and as I continued the nuances of this fine blend became apparent. There is delicious nutty sweetness that reminds me of smoking a fine cigar. Personally I could do without the Perique but it seems to work in this blend. As far as Perique blends go I cetainly like this better than Patton's Cool Hand Fluke.

This is a great burly blend incredibly full with a nicotine hit that will spin your head like Linda Blair in the Exorcist if puffed too quickly.

Be forewarned the initial draw and first 1/4th can be rather harsh IMHO - So Sip it slowly and enjoy the burly flavors. I will probably keep some on hand for an occasional smoke - but who knows this could become a favorite of mine?

I'd like to give this blend a 3.5 rating due to its initial harshness but I can't so I'll go with 4 stars. I know there are a lot of Reviewers who go Ga Ga over Runowski blends but I am only starting to try and like them. Still I can respect them for what they are. Recommended for Folks who enjoy cigars and bitter ales.

Pipe Used: Custombilt Billiard

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)

This blend is just ok to me..not great..not bad. Like a few of our fellow reviewers below I find Old Joe to be kind of a harsh old prick. Just to rough on the palette for me...

Appearance: Rough cut/cube cut tobacco in various shades of brown. Aroma of natural tobacco, no flavorings here. A bit more "shake" then I like to see in a can. I probably could fill 2 bowls with it. I have to blend it in as I go so I don't end up with just that left. Moisture level a tad drier then I prefer.

Packing: See comment about shake above..that said it packs easy enough. Can be codger scooped, although that practice may contribute more to the shake problem..

Smoking: Here's where this one loses me. It just seems harsh. I know and understand the style C&D are shooting for here, but to me it's a miss. Ok, they are creating a codger burley for all day smoking. No frills, no sweetness, just an honest smoke. Well, I 'm not quite a codger yet however I do smoke the blends throughout the day and in my opinion other blenders do it better. Maybe it's the slight perique pepper? Hard to say. My regular evening smokes are Bayou Night or Kajun Kake both peppered and are amongst my favorite smokes of all time! I go through pounds of them. Maybe my palette needs a break during the day? Who knows. As far as the vitamin N..I'm basically immune at this point. It does behave well in the pipe and smokes down to a dry ashy finish.

In conclusion this blend will be/already is a favorite of many but I will have to take a pass on future purchase. Too harsh/rough for me. In this style I'm sticking with either the Prince or Cotton Boll as my all day. I'll finish my portion but won't be purchasing more. Worth trying though as an example of the style..and you may like it..many do

A rare miss from C&D for me..

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Similar Blends: Any other bland burley you have lying around that dried out...

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I've spent the day with OJK after receiving my recent order. I do like burley and I really like OJK I went through four bowls and while it does have a good nic hit I didn't find it overwhelming. Nic is important for me, being an ex cig smoker. It stayed lit and gave me the real tobacco flavour I must have. A good honest burley mix.

I've lived with OJK for nearly a month now, smoking it daily. If anything I like it better than when I first received it. This will be in my regular rotation for some time.

There is a strong nic hit and it is very 'full flavoured'. The perique is noticeable but I think it is in perfect proportion to the burley and bit of Virginia also in it. If you love strong burley, this is for you.

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bitterness is the most misunderstood and underappreciated of the basic flavors. In Old Joe Krantz we have an example of its use with utter mastery. When I say that the first flavor impact I get from Old Joe is bitterness, one might recoil from it. But this is the bitter of first class stout or IPA, of dark chocolate, of coffee, of black walnuts. It gets one's attention and holds it! But then it is backed up by the mild sweetness of the Virginia, the nutty burley, and the musky perique. It loads easily (I like mine darn near crunchy dry and then press it tight into the pipe) and burns like a charm. And it carries a notable wallop of nicotine--a small bowl goes a long way. A large bowl should be smoked gently because of the nicotine hit. But I don't think it's ever bitten me. This is a blend compiled with true artistry. I can imagine that it isn't for everybody, but this is the sort of blend about which one can be truly passionate--I sure am!

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Somewhere between three and four stars. I cannot decide which, so I'll go with four . I've only 100 g of this under my belt, and the second half of the 2010 tin I had a friend pick up for me from the States was awesome. I was leery at first. To me it didn't smell like pipe tobacco-- all chocolatey and full of caramel, and generally reminiscent of cigars.

I have to credit this tobacco with rounding out early conceptions/impressions of tobacco, which, admittedly are not that nuanced. I have three rough groupings of tobacco hat I really like, and two that I do not.

#1 Orientals-- English, lots of Lat. Where I started, and what I remember my father and his father smoking #2 Sweet Virginias, sometimes flavored with perique or cavendish #3 Burleys, although I admit OJK is my first-- and I don't see any reason to move from that #4 aromatics -- Euch! #5 heavily cased dark navy/rum/twists -- Not quite my thing, but I can see the time and the place for it

Without OJK I could not have been able to make these, albeit crude, distinctions. It seems to me that Burley is the most tobacco-like tobacco, and an excellent place from which to begin to appreciate others.

It is not my favourite by a New York Mile, but I rank it highly. I will be buying much, much more and have dedicated a new pipe to it alone.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Full Burley blend with great Perique spiceness and very light sweet notes from the Virginias. Outstanding

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)

While smoking this tobacco I concluded that though I do really enjoy a straight Burley, a Burley headliner with condiment amounts of Perique and Virginia, just doesn't work that well for me. I would rather smoke a really good Burley, or a really good VaPer. Having said that OJK was a decent smoke, OJK is a step in the right direction from Haunted Bookshop.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)

I just got through having a bowl of OJK that I've had cellared since 2005. This fine tobacco reminds me of the Old Burley blends of yester-year. It lights well, stays lit, and sips well to the bottom. The Perique adds a little freshness to the musty chocolate taste of the burley and the Red Virginia has a great zestiness that seeps thru. A delightful smoke.

Update 6 July 2013. Old Joe just gets better with age. This is turning into an AMAZING dark chocolate rasin wonderland. I wanna hug Craig T! This is what smoking a pipe is all about right here!!!

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Another AAA blend by the best tobacco people in the universe. OJK is a totally satisfying, enjoyable smoke for the experienced piper. A perfect all day, all night blend. I go for a week smoking OJK only and then switch to Gentleman caller for the next week. 4 stars all the way, 5 would be more appropriate but not available.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This has become my all day smoke, if there is such a thing. This is a full tobacco IMO, however, all the ingredients are in balance. I love Burley, so the nice rich base in greatly appreciated. The Virginia adds a nice sweet note to this blend, subtle but there, and the Perique rounds it out with a nice spicy kick.

This blend is by far one of the best blends I have ever smoked. It is the top of my rotation and is being stocked in my cellar.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OJK is a nice burley with a pleasant caramelized-pecan touch added by the VA and the perique. It burns steady, cool and dry right out of the tin, not at all steamy. Being a non-flake, I think it burns too fast. For me, the blend is in balance, tasty and satisfying. OJK easily earns a solid 3 stars.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Unnoticeable

Such a disappointment! Ordered 4 oz. and am giving 3 1/2 oz. to my wife for planting fertilizer.

Difficult to keep lit, Keeps raising up at the start and then as the bowl progresses, requires constant attention to keep lit. The taste is harsh with nothing that I can consider flavorful. No distinctive slipstream odor or room note. The worst part is a terrible after odor and taste left in the pipe after just one bowl, and the taste and odor just linger and linger if the bowl is not swabbed. My wife also says that after smoking this blend, I should immediately brush my teeth and use minted mouthwash.

Sorry to all you OJK lovers, this is just not for me.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)

OJK has become a favorite of mine. It is a full flavored natural tobacco. The individual ingredients interplay throughout the bowl. Don't get me wrong this is clearly a Burley blend but the Va adds sweetness and the Perique the tang, they make themselves present at various intervals with different degrees of strength. You will at times catch a taste and side stream of cigar. If you like fairly strong no nonsense tobaccos this is a must try. When you are having trouble selecting a smoke, you grab OJK and you will always be glad you did. I agree with others that say this is an old time style tobacco. I find this a perfect companion to Riverboat Gambler. It gets a little stronger and bitter (in a good way)towards the bottom of the bowl and it will burn clean to the bottom. This is probably not for everyone but for those that like flavor and strength and give this a chance it may end up being their Desert Island, every day and all day smoke. Hats off to C&D and Bob Runowski for true delight.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)

OJK (bulk) is a good Burley blend with a rich, old time taste that is, regrettably, cloyed by too much Perique. The high Perique content throws the blend completely out of balance and ruins an otherwise tasty smoke. Condiments should serve to merely tilt the taste of a blend. If a putz like me can understand that, then why couldn't an accomplished pro like Runowski see it? If Runowski had painted the Mona Lisa, her inscrutable smile would be just a silly, toothy grin. Less is more -- and blenders should utilize the properties of condiments to finesse a blend to perfection rather than clobber it with flavoring.

My low rating of this blend reflects not my displeasure with it so much as my disappointment over a lost opportunity for excellence. If you like Perique, and you're one to put a hot dog on your mustard, or add a splash of coffee to your cream, then go for OJK.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I was given a tin of this by a friend at Christmas. On New Years I decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of Burleys. Wow, not bad at all. I think the Perique blended in is perfect. Funny thing is, I don't like lots of Perique either! The mixture is done just right to compliment each other. I am impressed. I don't feel this has as much nicotine as some others I smoke, but it definately is there. The room note seems great, I didn't get many complaints. I recently finished my tin and will buy more.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I sometimes say this is like a cigarette, a cigar and a pipe all rolled into one...a great smoke with a lovely malty vinegary taste. When you don't want a Virginian, a plain Burley, Aro, Danish, English or Scot and the Navy makes you seasick - go for the good ol' USA, pack in some OJK...honest and true...it tastes like tobacco.

Another of C&D's Winning Burley Blends

Appearance and Tin Aroma: This smells like figs, sweet. There's lots o'perique in this blend! Cubes of burley are readily visible, lots of mohagany leaf (Kentucky?), red Va as well.

Packing and Lighting: This one is a little more moist than the usual C&D offerrings, but still perfect for immediate smoking. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Once the match is lit, you are directly confronted with a mellow Burley-Perique symphony. I am allergic to Perique, but this one does not trigger my allergy right away.

Mid-Bowl: This is deliciously warm, round, and sweet in a natural way. Yumm.

Bottom of Bowl: Most Perique blends get very spicy at this point, but this one stayed shy of a peppery assualt. Rather it gave a nice "Tadum" ending to the smoke.

Overall: In spite of my allergy to Perique, I will continue to smoke this blend as an occassional delight. It did cause my lips to swell a little (and I already have big lips!) and a few pimples formed around my lips, but it did not cause a reaction in my throat or tongue. This blend once again showcases what can be done with Burley. Of course, you must like Burley to begin with.This burns to a nice, fine, grey ash with no moisture issues and leaves a fine grey dusting in the bowl as well. Thank you C&D...

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have just tried this blend for the first time today. This is my fourth pipe full and am looking forward to many more. This has plenty of full tobacco flavor and an exellent amount of perique and is very easy on the tounge. My wife is not jumping up and down over the room note, however I can tell I will be able to smoke this one in the easy chair with little complaint. I will add this to my must have on hand list. what more can I say, thank you Bob and Craig!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

My introduction to Burley was a package containing Haunted Bookshop, Three Friars, and this. I still smoke this one today. Yeah it's a full quarter perique. Yeah it ain't subtle or complex. Is it a fantastic bowl of burley for your morning coffee? Abso-effing-lutely. Nutty burley with some fruit from the perique and enough nicotine to make you notice. I bounce between this and Storm Front. Old Joe is a top notch burley, but not for everyone hence the missing star. Proceed to Storm Front for a much more accessible smoke.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz.

I was expecting this to taste a lot simpler than it does.

The smoke has a fair amount going on in it: the Burley leads, but there's more from the Perique than I expected: a pleasing fruitiness sits just behind the nuttiness. I enjoy that side of Old Joe, but what I don't enjoy is the strange sourness that develops quite quickly, and also the sheer volume of tongue bite. This is exacerbated by the mechanics: damn it burns hot.

The nicotine amount makes it more apt for the mornings rather than the relaxing evening smoke: it is rather strong. And I find the room-note boring.

I've smoked some cracking blends from Cornell & Diehl, but this is possibly the worst.

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Age When Smoked: One Month

Purchased From: 4noggins

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A strong, stout tasting, basically Burley smoke. High on the vitamin N department. Not my cup of tea, but a skilfully blended mixture: strong, manly, and assertive. If you like good old Burley and have the strength for it, it must be Amercian heaven.

Pipe Used: BBB straight rhodesian

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Joshua Ward.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is a blend I smoke pretty regularly when Im on the go. Its like a super high quality and much stronger version (and unsweetened, or rather uncased) of a dozen other burley blends out there. It has a nice nutty burley taste, with the virginia playing a very secondary role. It feels almost as if there is something besides Perique in there, too. But maybe its just the kind of burley used. It almost hints at a cigar taste on occasion. The nic hit is moderate, but smoke it fast and you're head will spin. It sustains its taste throughout.

Similar Blends: John Patton's Storm Front..

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I really like this tobacco. Tastes differ but I found a delicious saltiness to the smoke and a buttery, almost toffee-like flavor in OJK. The Perique goes from pepper to plum and back again. The nicotine level is very satisfying for me but I have a 30+ year cigarette habit I'm currently kicking.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

The burley is sweet, reminds me a little of PA in the similarity of sweetness that is present but that is where this blend reminds me of PA ends. The perique is a major player and I get more pepper than dried fruits. The Red VA's are slightly sweet bread like, a little roasted grain. These elements seem like they would make for a great blend, yet the sum of their parts are not in harmony. The flavor is full and overall not bad. Nice thick smoke and the nic is okay as well. I do think that the burley at lest has a top note as stated above but all things aside this could be someones all day smoke it just missed my palate. It did bite a little and it was sneaky in how it did it. No indicators while smoking but the next day I could tell that it had. I smoke this as my only blend for several days to confirm this. Finally, I do not often give a strong rating for room note but this earned that mark. I smoke outside only and it was still noticeable on the porch hours after a bowl. The wife complained about it stinking up the house too and while I almost never smell smoke on myself I could smell this stuff on me too. Still I don't want to sound down on the blend it was not bad overall but will not make a rotation and I see no need to revisit it at this time.

Andersson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andersson (14)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, it is a good strong blend which kicks you with all the pleasure, the pharmacological nicotine can bring. And yes, I did enjoy these physiological effects, but wait, did I enjoy the smoking as well? I can hardly say yes, because this blend doesn't have anything really special, it is so ordinary, that I can recommend it to the most conservative smokers only.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Country

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

While it is strong, not doubt about that, it wasn't completely overpowering. One needs to be prepared for it though. The taste was decent but it had some cigar notes to it that I didn't care for.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: new tin

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (25)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Old Joe I have to say this is a “big boy” smoke, not for the faint of heart. I had posted a question on the pipe magazine forum asking people to recommend an American Blend, and another post asking for Burley, Virginia suggestions. Both post found Old Joe to be suggest. I reviewed the comments here at Tobacco Reviews and found that not only did it get a good score, but it had lots of reviews and several people suggesting it was a favorite (as have I.) So with that – I placed my order.

Opening the bag and taking a whiff is uneventful, I really would not say it has a good or bad smell, just a smell. After smoking my first bowl, my head was spinning. I don’t think it was a nicotine rush, but something hit me. HOWEVER – the smoke was easy (not a lot of relights) and it burned clean to the bottom of the bowl. I've had about 10 bowls so far and have never had any moisture build up in the bowl - no gurgling. A plus too was no tongue bite.

If I smoke this easy, it is one fine blend to have on hand. And since my wife likes earthly smelling baccy and nothing sweet – this was immediately approved by her.

I would say if you enjoy a good medium English blend, you might like this just fine. If you like Drew Estates: Meat Pie or Hearth & Home Larry’s Blend; Old Joe should at least make an appearance in your cellar. I bet he will be invited back time and time again.

One final note. For those of us that also smoke cigars. I find a cigar becomes too harsh as it nears the end. However, by the last quarter of your bowl of Old Joe you might think that you just lit a very fine cigar! This stuff becomes one of the best cigar I've ever smoked (in or out of my pipe.)

On a funny aside – one night I poured myself a double scotch and water, loaded up my pipe, and headed for the back porch with a book to read. When I came in, my wife asked me if I had seen a ghost as I was as white as a sheet. I told her “no, Ol’ Joe just kicked my ass.” I will say, however It was the deepest sleep I’ve had in a long time.

Pipe Used: Corn Cobs, Briar

Age When Smoked: just got the order

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigar

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

If you want to try a good burley blend. Don't start with OTC. Start with Gl Pease Barbary Coast to get you ready for Old Joe Krantz.

Joe is a mean SOB that is ready to kick your butt when you need a break from beautiful Virginias And complex English blends.

I love perique and this blend offers the spicy sour fruit with chocolate walnut goodness. Yes, you find Nicotine here. If not needed move along, move along.

Pipe Used: Corn cobb

Purchased From: Smokingpioes.com

Similar Blends: Barbary Coast.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

The tin aroma combines darkly musty Perique with sweet almond. When smoked these two elements are combined along with lots of nicotine. I really don't enjoy this one, the flavor just isn't that pleasant and I'm not cut out for the nicotine punch it packs. I might try cutting it with some Latakia.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and a few months in

Purchased From: SP.com

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am welcomed by a musty smelling tobacco, this is promising. It packs very nicely and here I go. A nutty, earthy and slightly peppery, toasty bread taste shows up while I am blindsided by the strength. 1st lesson smoke it slowly in a small pipe as there is enough of everything in this mixture. It reminds me of Semois or Brun tobacco from Europe, no wonder since it's Burley. 2nd lesson smoke it on a full stomach, preferably after dinner, to fully enjoy it without any discomfort. Overall a must try for experienced pipe smokers.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

whitebriar is right everything that needs to be said about OJK has been but I will say I think I found my favorite old bulk standby. I have always ordered 4-8 ounces of bayou night a month but this stuff is quickly becoming a favorite!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

everything has been said about 'Old Joe' that need be said--

all i need to add is 'i like it'!!

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been sitting on some bulk Old Joe Krantz for about 5 months now and figured that would be a good length of time to let it mellow out a bit. Anymore I'll let a bulk C&D Blend sit for 4 to 6 months before cracking it open since it's really tough for me to gauge how much I like the blend when it's freshly done.

I'm not a fan of perique. It typically comes off as peppery to me in anything from Escudo to C&Ds Epiphany or Haunted Bookshop. Sure I get flashes of figs and dark fruits but for the most part it's more irritating than exciting. That led me to be little apprehensive about OJK. I was very pleasantly surprised. First light brings the burley up front followed by an earthy sweetness that seems to be from the red Virginia followed up by flashes of figs from the perique. As the bowl progresses the perique picks up some steam and becomes a bit more pronounced along with the Virginia. The burley is always there but towards the bottom of the bowl seems as more of a buffer than at the forefront. This blend is very smooth. It's probably one of the smoothest blends I've ever had. A little nose tickle from the perique will certainly keep you from inhaling by mistake though. Nicotine wise this blend is quite satisfying and if you are sensitive to it then I would caution you that this blend is strong. For me I'd place it in the medium to strong range but just slightly closer to medium.

I'll be trying more of this blend in different pipes but it's a burley blend first and foremost with some perique and Virginia to keep it exciting. It's certainly not complex but there is enough interest to puff on it all day. I highly recommend this blend to just about anyone to be honest. If you're a latakia fiend you will be disappointed but if you enjoy burley blends or VaPers this will certainly be a change of pace.

One item of note is that no matter how much I've dried the blend it seems to raise up like a ghost in the bowl. Mostly at the initial lighting but sometimes later on during a relight. The only other blend I've noted this on was Hal O' the Wynd.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have six ounces remaining of Old Joe cellared, bulk in jars, from a pound I purchased in 2007. I recently purchased another pound to cellar. Gentlemen, this is not even the same tobacco! It looks completely different and tastes nothing like the prior offering. I realize that the aging has changed the tobacco somewhat but i'm sorry, not to this extent. I cannot recommend this current offering of OJK. It is harsh, tastes like a cheap cigar and the room note is appalling. In fact, I can see what appears to be pieces of cigar wrapper leaf mixed in. The perique doesn't seem to be there like my previous batch, if at all. I dunno. I'm just like a big league umpire folks......I just calls 'em as I sees 'em!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Old Joe Krantz is one of the blends developed by Bob Runowski in his attempt to recreate the pleasures of old, traditional tobaccos. It's a combination of Virginia, burley, and some perique. Like other C&D blends, the tobacco benefits greatly from some age before smoking. Bob says that this is his favorite burley blend. I'll confess that my initial impression of Old Joe Krantz was, well, less than favorable. However, I set aside the ball jars of it, and happened upon them again after they sat for about five months. The difference was nothing less than dramatic. What originally hit me as a slightly bitter discord of flavors had become a well-mannered and pleasant blending of fine tobaccos. The pouch aroma of Old Joe Krantz is one that could easily keep me from smoking it. If it reminds me of anything, it reminds me of the smell of dirty feet. To me, this is a tobacco that the smoker needs to smoke while ignoring the pouch aroma, and doing so provides a nice, pleasant treat. The burley asserts itself from the start, giving a nice lighting taste. There's not any hesitation from this blend at all! But while the burley is a strong presence, the natural sweetness of the Virginia is there as well. The perique is just heavy enough to mix with the Virginia and provide a sort of sweet and sour effect. The balance of the three tobacco varieties is as well done in this blend as I've encountered. While the initial flavor is full, it's not overly strong. The taste remains consistent through the bowl, but the last eighth or so becomes a good bit stronger than the rest. There's no acridity to the flavor, it just strengthens. I've been smoking this blend on an almost daily basis now, and find it to be a real pleasure.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

When I first started smoking this blend, I would have given it a 4 star rating. Twenty pounds later, I am still in love with it; yet, as guys that have been married for a long time can relate, ahhh.....luckily Old Joe understands when I smoked 30 or 40 other blends. I haven't had an unfavorable blend from Cornell & Diehl yet, except for Mississippi Mud. Old Joe is a great bulk blend that comes already on the dry side, no prep needed. It has a very natural taste without any chemicals added that I detect. Burley is in the drivers seat, virginia riding shotgun, but the perique is a very loud back seat driver. If you don't like perique, don't get in the car. But if you like burley and perique........take that ride.

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)

I've had a tin of this open for about six months and find it to be a very satisfying and flavorful tobacco. For some reason, I didn't like it very much when I first tried it, but now it seems much better. I detect some kind of topping, as I initially get a flavor that doesn't seem to come directly from the blend components. This is evident in the tin aroma as well. This is no problem, however, as it adds greatly to the flavor in the beginning, then subsides somewhat as I smoke on down the bowl.

The relatively small pieces into which this tobacco is cut allows it to pack and light with no problem and it burns at an average rate - not too quickly but not a "long burner" either. The remnants consist of lots of fine, gray ash.

Though I can tell it's there, I did not detect much in the way of nicotine strength, but I smoke a number of stronger blends as well, so I may be less sensitive to this level of nicotine than some.

Overall, I rate this as a very good smoke and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys burley with a little sweetness from Virginia and just a bit of perique spice.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Ive smoked alot of this over the year and I find it a tastey, satisfying change of pace smoke with enough nicotine. I say change of pace because it does have a big flavor and after a couple back to back bowls, it can be flavor overload. I find similar flavors in C&D's 3 Friars, only in 3F they are lighter and easier to smoke all day. I consider this 3F's big brother and another blend thats not for the kiddos. I like it.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This stuff is like a premium Cuban cigar run through a blender! This blend is a real old school smoke for real smokers. It starts out strong and smooth and stays that way through the entire smoke, leaving one with pure tobacco satisfaction. Old Joe carries a full load of nicotine, so be warned. If you always wanted to smoke a real Cuban cigar, don't bother, just get some of this blend. Enough said. This is truly a 4 star smoke if ever there was one.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Others have already provided excellent comments regarding the taste and characteristics of this tobacco. Therefore I would like to limit my comments to my overall impression....Superb!!!

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Only one reason I didn't give this 4 stars - I couldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't either a cigar or cigarette smoker.

This hit the spot for me - heavy in nicotine so I didn't have to reach for a cigarette or two in between bowls! Tastier then most with this high a nicotine content and if the other reviews are correct, the taste's will come out further with some aging.

I put it alongside Irish Flake and Erinmore as a tobacco that can satisfy those of us who require the nicotine punch yet like some flavor to their smoke.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

If I could give this less than one star I would. Not a big fan of this. It has too much of something in it and I couldn't put my finger on it. Also, it left an extremely bad tasting coating in my mouth and throat which didn't go away for hours.

I know that a lot of people love this blend but it is just not for me.

20Oct2010 UPDATE I think that I was too harsh in my original review of this. I have since come to like Burley blends very much and this one is great! I apologize for my hasty judgment of this blend.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

OJK is simply delicious. It's my favorite CD blend so far. In fact, I've never been a real fan of CD, having sampled about a dozen or so over the years, not until I found OJK. The moisture level is exactly right out of the tin (8 ounce tin or bag) and I don't feel compelled to store some away for six months just to enjoy it.

I don't know if this is genuine St James Perique or not but who cares ? The taste reminds me of a richer, more rustic tasting Elizabethan Mixture with the addition of nutty, smooth and simple burley. I detect maybe the smallest amount of topnote or added flavoring. The Perique in this blend is more piquant than peppery; the aroma when smoking is outstanding (at least to me, not to my wife). A definite treat or an all day smoke, it is light enough in taste to smoke early in the morning, but still has a nice kick. Smokes well in autumn on the back porch.

This blend has a very savory, salty, peppery quality with a good nicotine kick. It is visually interesting, in that it looks like autumn leaves, and has a nice earthy, musty smell. It packs well. It lights well. However, tastes being what they are, this blend just didn't do it for me. Just too much perique. It really overwhelmed the other tobaccos. Every once in a while, the burley and Virginia would try to peek out. But the mighty perique held them down. Nevertheless this is a fine quality blend, and if you love perique, this should ring your bell!

Little Jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Jack (2)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very interesting blend. The aroma from the pouch is amazing to me. I love the smell of burley and it is what I smell when I open it. I also love Virginia so this is up my alley. The Perique adds the pepper and spiciness to the mix. Do not push this blend hard because the nic hit will kick your butt! It is made to sip and if it is smoked this way it is an exquisite blend. I will have to make fun of myself on this review because as I was loading my pipe I inadvertently grabbed this blend instead of a red Virginia bulk blend that I was going to smoke. Loaded my pipe as I am browsing on the computer and took off with a flash. As my head started to spin I realized I had loaded the bowl with OJK! A great blend with good burning characteristics, just go slow.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Prince

Age When Smoked: Just received a few days ago.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

OJK is a pretty decent smoke, but it is quite heavy on Burley, so be advised. If you don't keep an eye on your smoking cadence, it will develop harsh spots that could be misconstrued as tongue-bite. The tin note is vinegary and quite acrid. This is probably coming from the perique it contains. Also, the perique leaf can be overpowering at times, and this tends to mask or push the burley to the background. As OJK does not contain any dark fired leaf, the smoking experience will be very different to most of the pipe tobaccos that claim to contain burley leaf in their blends. Hence the cigarettyish undertone most people describe or refer to. Having said that, if you watch your smoking cadence, OJK can be a pretty decent smoke. The harsh spots I am describing will then give way to this nutty dimension you will probably enjoy as your progress through every quarter of your bowl. On the other hand, the Virginia leaf seem to behave quite decently, with earthy and sweet undertones here and there. And for those who think it is too harsh and full-bodied at times, it is still possible to tone it down with some of the C&D's Virginia proprietary leaf. I think I am going to give it a 3 stars rating due to its inherent complexity and strength.

Similar Blends: Sometimes I get a hint here and there that reminds me of Half & Half, but this could be just me..

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (24)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I would swear there is cigar leaf in this if I didn't know there wasn't. Flavors of nuts, bitter chocolate, pepper and leather. To me, this has complexity. I enjoy it best in a smaller bowl and smoked very slow and cool.

Pipe Used: Sav 626

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: Online

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I tried this when I began smoking a pipe every now and then. That was horrible! It knocked me green and clawed at my sinuses so bad, I could not for the life of me understand why someone would like this blend. But as time passed I grew more experienced and grew to favour bolder blends so I figured it was time for a do-over. I am glad that I did! This is a strong, heavy smoke but with a lot of flavour. Complex? Not really, but a sure bet. If you are looking for a nice, strong and full burley, it simply does not get much better than this in my opinion.

Taste: A deep, dark profile of dried fruit, nutts and pepper permeates this blend. Hints of cigar leaf follows in the burley tracks, a full body with a punch goes with it. It grows less sweet over time and takes on an earthy profile, maintaining the pepper all the way.

Mechanics: Burns cool and clean, no bite, no need for relights. Potent in nicotine.

Pipe Used: Briar, cob and clay

Similar Blends: Haunted bookshop, but more perique.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is a perfect Burley/Perique mixture. In this blend you can enjoy and taste the Burley with the Perique and all the nuances of this excellent union. Virginia is present but it has a bit part, a small role, and it is not a protagonist. Mr Burley and Mr. Perique sing with a single voice (in unison) and the result (with the tenuous complicity of Virginia) is a pleasant symphony of flavors (from the side of the taste). Opening the tin the smell is very good and sweet and I think there is a slight topping in it. But smoking the tobacco, the taste is not at all sweet: I would say peppery, smooth and neutral. Only a bit too strong. This is a real American taste, different from English taste but with a great personality. Speaking of perique, english taste is normally Virginia/Perique and the perfect example is the “monument” De Luxe Navy Rolls (Dunhill). If you are interested of Perique you can make a tasting test between American and English taste and you can make a comparison between this American blend and De Luxe N.R. that is a typical English blend. If you like Perique and if you want to try a real American taste, buy this blend and you’ll enjoy a robust full taste American tobacco. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

Old at heart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old at heart (9)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I love this stuff. Its an american mustang of a blend !

it will kick like a foul tempered old horse if you push it too much and puff too fast. A nice steady hand and a slow pace is really needed here - else the horse kicks and bites. Rum like spice from the perique in small doses followed by a heavy hitting dense strength from the burly. Mollases at times give slight relief or perhaps my misinterpretation of nut like burly at its best. I like a lot of nicotine so dont really notice the strength anymore, i remember being nearly green the first time i tried it though. In short - a mustang.

Pipe Used: A pete army mount

Purchased From: 4 noggins

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is my go to Sunday morning blend. It's an extraordinary full strength tobacco that shines after a big breakfast with a strong cup of coffee. The tin note is musty with some dark fruit. The dark Burley's are bold and have a sharp bitter note that is far from unpleasant and the red Virginias sweetness help to balance that. The Perique is a strong and sometimes brash component here but never completely untamed. Aside from some spice and black pepper the Perique offers there is also some plum/fig going on. I'm amazed at how the three potent and earthy tobaccos combine so well and perform with a level of relative smoothness. I enjoy fading in and out of sleep while smoking this blend early in the morning!

Pipe Used: Cobs and Meerschaums

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an occasional smoke but part of my rotation nonetheless. I am overwhelmed by the sensations the smoke provides but still find it tasteless at times. Billowing smoke,spicy and just plain tobacco flavor. I like it but this is definitely not for everyone. I usually have either OJK or five brothers if I am in the mood for that kind of stuff.

Vaperluvr60 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vaperluvr60 (4)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A tough old bird but.....off the truck it was like an El Rico Habano.....N bomb! But as time has passed it has changed in personality, flavor and strength. I get this sensation of too much salt in food.....pleasant but you know your doctor would not approve! I've been smoking a pipe off and on since the mid 70's and no burley blend I ever got a hold of was like this stuff. I'm at the end of a pound and I will be putting some more in the cellar.....I try not to make it an every day deal but somehow I keep reaching for it....I have this little Carey apple that just loves to eats this stuff....I drive a truck and I love the smell when I've been smoking it and have to get out and upon coming back I'm greeted with this earthy, somewhat sweet aroma...what can I tell you...try some if anything here appeals to you but let it rest a bit before passing judgement.....OJK is an old codger for sure but once you get to know him....he's a pretty good old boy!

Pipe Used: All my small bores...

Age When Smoked: fresh and now 6 months

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: stands alone....others are similar to it..

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't pinpoint why but I didn't much care for this blend. It has quality components but something about it put me off. I did manage to finish the tin though.

Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a classic American burley blend with harsh, masculine smoke and a powerful nicotine overdose, unfortunately my body is very sensitive to nicotine, therefore, this blend is not for me, I like American Burley such as Prince Albert and Carter Hall, Barbary Coast is also a favorite, but not this one.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

There are better presentations of perique than this. Though I finished the tin without any reservations It is unlikely that I will seek another one.

Not as powerful as Haunted Bookshop, less cigarish but also a bit more anonimous.

A decent smoke, but nothing particular to recommend.