A very special blend of golden Virginias, a little "white" burley, and a touch of perique to make things interesting. Pressed into long flakes, sliced, then rolled in the tin in long strips.

Notes: From the Kohlase & Kopp website (translated from German): Golden Virginia, some white burley and a pinch of perique. Long flake tobacco rolled. The website also confirms a honey/orange flavoring is added.

BrandReiner
Cup O' Joes
Strength
Taste

3.7

I'll try not to be overly enthusiastic with my review; but dadgum, this is one fine tobacco blend!

The flake is beautiful and arrives in a large 100 gram tin in one long strip that has been wound up. The pressed leaf is at a perfect moisture content and breaks up and rubs out easily.

The taste is naturally sweet with just a hint of the spicy Perique and a roundness that only top-shelf Burley can add to fine Virginia leaf.

Upon lighting, the sweetness of the Virginia combines with the Perique spice to produce a true tobacco flavor blast that few other blends can reproduce. By mid-bowl the Burley begins to make its presence known and the sweetness of the Virginias subside a bit. By bowl's end, the compilation of tobaccos provides a finish that'll wow your taste buds!

This, my friends, is a pipe tobacco.

I don't taste the licorice others suggested is there, but I do get the slight orange/lemon, and honey, and even then, they are subdued a touch by a light wheat note. Not much nuttiness or sweetness from the white burley because of the other flavors, but it does have a mild sharpness and a little wood. The Virginia offers hay/grass and some citrus as the base of the blend. The perique is mild and lightly peppery when it shows up, which isn't often. Not the most complex mixture you'll ever try, but it does give a nice variety of taste, so I would rate it as moderately complex. Not a harsh or dull spot to be found and the flavor is consistent to the finish. Has a mild-hit. Won't bite, but performs better when smoked a little slow. Burns easier if you cube cut it, but the fold and stuff method works well, too. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, but needs a few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke. One of the nice things about this blend is how well it ages and as it does, gets a little more complex and the natural citrus of the Virginia is lightly more prominent than when it's fresh.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Good Lord. I haven't burned through 100 g of tobacco this fast in a looonng time. This hits all the right notes... smells super in the tin, tastes great in the pipe, just full enough, just sweet enough, just everything. Is there better pipe tobacco? Probably not.

Pipe Used: Everything in the stable

Similar Blends: Similar to other lightly topped virginias, but fuller, smoother, and tastier than anything that comes to mind. Capstan Blue? Limerick?.

This is very similar to Orliks Golden Slices, only at 2 1/2 times the price

Updated 11/13/2013- Wow, I don't know if this needed a few weeks to breath or it was my technique, but, this is a 4 star blend. I just retried this same tin in a cob and at much slower cadence than I normally smoke, and it is smooth, sweet and flavorful. The initial light is still like "Orlik's Golden Sliced" in flavor but this quickly fades to a much more flavorful blend. The Perique and Burley never show their face , it just tastes like a great Virginia. I'd love to try this back to back with Solani's Silver Flake, I think they would be similar. Price still an issue

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I got a tinful of this from a place that has it under a different label as a store brand (and I had to almost torture the owner into, er, owning up as to which particular blend was in the tin). That said, I am impressed.

The tin aroma is exactly what I expect of a really good VA/Per, with a little bit of extra goodness (the Burley, no doubt). A good, grassy VA with the edge and depth of the Perique, and as noted an extra dimension in there, just below the threshold of being obvious.

The impressively long strand of flake is perfect to smoke from the fresh tin: simply tear off enough for a bowlful, fold and twist, and lighting is amazingly easy for a flake. From the beginning, I get the VA and some Perique; there is an Orange sauce on there, and something else I can't quite lay my finger on. Whatever it is, it's good.

The 'baccy burns down easily, uncomplicatedly, developing more depth in its flavour as the bowl develops. The Perique becomes more prominent as I smoke along, and the Burley makes itself felt during the second half. The room note is pretty much what I expect of a good VA/Per.

For a fold/twist flake, this blend's burn is purely excellent; I have nothing but some ashes with no dottle left over without having to relight.

For me, this blend is right up there with the likes of Sam Gawith's FVF and Golden Glow, while being less pricey and actually having better smoking qualities.

I'd recommend a peaty Highland or Islay Single Malt with this, or a good, hoppy ale.

Pipe Used: DB Mayflower, BC Cobra Jr.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Smoker's Corner, Lübeck, Germany

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Golden Glow, Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Several flakes in several pipes, I find it burns hot no matter how much time I take with it. Fully rubbed and gravity filled, my Vaper pipes get too warm to handle comfortably. Air drying the rubbed flake 45-60 minutes doesn't seem to help. The flakes really aren't moist.

The perique is spicy and strong throughout. The VA becomes dominant and very pleasant during the second half. However, I've had better luck with Luxury Twist and Bullseye Flake, Escudo, Kingfisher, Haddo's, St. James, and Dunbar, etc.. I'll keep experimenting.

11/24/09 update. After consuming half of the tin with the same result..."it tastes like burning" to borrow from Ralph Wiggum...I put the tin away. Now, nine months later, in a small bent acorn with thick walls this Blend 71 is behaving. Early on in the conical bowl that "cinnamon sort of sweet spiciness" that laufenstoc identified dominates. A cinnamony rush of perique, I suppose, not bitey or hot, but fairly intense. Further down it settles into a mellow VA-burley treat. Very nice. Recommended!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Not much to add to what's already been said about this classic blend. It smokes very cool for the most part if you don't overpuff. One thing I noted that I didn't see from the other reviewers is that if it ever needed a relight, it became harsh for the first few puffs. That smacks of the burley rather than the virginia. The perique is noticeable but not overpowering; just enough to add some additional spice.

Smokes beautifully in briars, meerschaums, clays and cobs. Very complex if you sit and contemplate the smoke, simple if you don't. Not a perfect tobacco but close. This is going into my regular rotation and I'm also going to buy some extra to age in my cellar. GREAT tobacco - destined to become a classic if it isn't there already.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)

Where to begin, where to begin. I cracked open the gold labeled tin with much anticipation; having read several reviews here on TR, my expectations were very high. And, many times, if you've read my reviews, I'm often disappointed, but, this time there was no let down. The tin note is wonderful, bready, with a hint of pepper—and, truth be told, this is precisely the taste I get when lighting up. A wonderfully warm bready taste with a fantastic side stream—little in the way of additives, mostly just great tobacco! After the first third of the bowl the perique takes center stage, then fades in the last third back to the bready Virginias (the Burley is present but, to my palate, it pretty much sticks to the shadows—possibly reinforcing the breadiness). The nicotine content is moderate (no conk on the head here). This is high quality blending, nay, a veritable artist is at work here!

For me, there's a noticeable difference between your run-of-the-mill blenders, of which there are a dime a dozen in the pipe tobacco world, and those that can create a blend like this one. An artist takes his raw materials and makes the tobacco itself the star, not a heavy dose of chemicals—anyone can put that slop into a tobacco and call it a "blend" but few can create a masterpiece like Reiner's Long Golden Flake.

BTW I'm not suggesting there is no honey/orange additive in this blend; however, this "flavoring" is so subtle, I barely notice it. This additive is used as an accent, a mild seasoning, rather than as one that provides a definitive taste. I've nothing against this method of blending. It's the blenders that "go nuclear" with their additives I've trouble with. Skilled blenders know how to combine tobacco with little or no additives (a sign of true artistry). We need more blenders who understand this concept (ever hear of the expression 'less is more'? Today's blenders, and by extension, smoker's themselves, would do well to heed these words).

This is not a complex blend, it is, in my view a rather simple one, like a piece of chamber music, not a symphony. It lit well and smoked forever—my egg-shaped bent Viprati sang for better than an hour. The only downside is the amount of money you have to fork over, but, hey, sometimes you have to pay for quality. This blend was well worth the money, and I will be smoking more of this.

It's when I smoke a tobacco like this, I know life's worth it. Great stuff!

Happy piping!

Pipe Used: Viprati big bowl

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (152)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This VaPer blend is simple and very pleasant.when you open the tin you see the large folded flakes and a nice aroma of citrus grass and tea comes out.the moisture level is ok ,rubs nice lights eαsy and needs a few relights.burns peacefull and slow.the flavours while smoking are simple very natural and nice combined between sweet fruits earth and grass.some spicyness is detected in the backround.the room note is very discreet and light.leaves a little moisture at the end of the bowl.the nicotine level and flavours are exactly what you need for an all day smoking pleasure.it is a must try for the VIPER lovers!

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Latter-day Northern European blenders have a fine hand for Virginia~Périque concoctions. I have tried several good ones, none better than this auriferous beauty.

The shtick here is that the pressed tobacco block has been flaked without first segmenting it into plugs. The resulting flakes look like a man's leather belt, rolled up inside a tin of car wax. I am not sure what such formatting does for flavour, if anything, but the result is truly, unforgettably, delicious.

I suppose the white burley is there to buffer the potential aggressivity of the golden 'Ginny. You can otherwise not taste it (not that you would taste it even if it were there by itself...) and the golden Virginia is a veritable scrotum-tingling delicacy: nutty sweet like Roederer Cristal, whose colour it matches, mirage-like. The Périque adds excitement and allure, in Perfect Balance. Isn't that the definition of Classicism?

Ever since I first filled a gorgeous new Caminetto with Long Golden?I was sauntering down University Place towards Washington Square?I have been in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak! (In what other hobby can one have a true epiphany as often as we pipe lovers do??)

Recommended to friend and foe.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)

Even if you do not smoke Virginia-based pipe tobacco, this is still a standout blend that you should try. I usually gravitate towards English mixtures, but the sheer quality of the tobaccos here are worthy of note. The tin note brings up a compote of Mirabelle plums with perhaps a touch of figs. A superb fragrance. At the match, I do not notice the Burley -- or should I say I do not notice the cigarette like characteristics of that leaf so often present in many us made blends -- and that is a plus. Interestingly for a flake, this smoke quite easily when crumbled. Obviously the tobacco is well-aged in that it does not burn (though I am not puffing it like mad either). This is in my all time top 5, along with Winter's tale, London Mixture (of old) and I guess two other I can't think of right now. Out of a 100 this would get 91.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Upshall

Age When Smoked: Less than a year old

Purchased From: smokingpipes dot

Similar Blends: Would love to know.

I really enjoyed my short time with this blend. I received a good sample (5 bowls or so) from a forum buddy. Since I received it in a baggy I have no comment on presentation other than the flakes I received were of perfect moisture and it was relayed to me that the age on the same was about a year and a half old.

The flakes crumbled nicely, but not to dust. This is a great combination of Burley nuttiness and Virginia Hay sweetness. The perique, I found, was very light, but there nonetheless, in a supporting role. I will definitely be purchasing this one in the future.

I bought my first tin of Long Golden Flake back in 2010. I smoked about a half tin and it simply didn’t charm me. Now, four years later, it has mellowed into a very good flake and I find myself reaching for it often. The mystery topping is hard for me to pinpoint, but my feeling is that is a light citrus, but that could be because of the color of the flake. There is some added sweetness to this blend, but isn’t overpowering. The Virginias contribute the sweetness and the perique adds a light pepper to the flake rather than the fruitiness that Perique brings to other blends. I don’t think the Perique is overpowering. The Burley lies in the background adding some depth and it offsets the added sweetness a bit. Even when aged, it seems to burn a little hot at first light, but quickly settles down. It has been some time since I smoked Orlik Golden Slices, but to my memory, I find this better with less citrus. I am still not a huge fan of this blend when new, (about two and a half stars for me) but a four star blend when aged. I should add that while the tobacco is on the expensive side, if you try it and don’t like it, LGF’s long flake makes for an inexpensive belt!

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (23)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the longest flake I´ve ever encounter! It´s a very long tobacco strip roller inside the tin. Really neat if you are into the whole "I roll my flakes and smoke them un-rubbed".
The tin aroma gives a zesty lemony aroma. Some hints of bread and raisins can be noticed. The perique can also be smelled, but is somewhat subtle.
After a couple of years in the cellar, the tobacco came right on the spot of humidity. Rubbing it out is a real pleasure. I do not know a lot about the "white burley" but some almost white tobacco leafs can be found.
This virginia flake is very round on the palate. Flavor is delicious, as the perique and burley match perfectly with the virginias. Upong further smoking the citrus notes are less noticeable, and a more robust flavor can be sensed. This blend should be smoked with a slow pace or it may burn hot.

Please note that the new tin simply states "Blend 71", although the description is the same.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 2000

Age When Smoked: 2 years in cellar

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Similar Blends: Solani Silver Flake, Erinmore Flake.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

This is what pipe smoking is all about. Before I get to the actual leaf, let me just tip my hat to the people at Reiners. The packaging of this blend is downright regal in every way. Every time I reach for a tin of this blend I feel the history and pomp that can sometimes be attributed to the noble art of pipe smoking. It makes me feel nostalgic about the hobby in general.

The tobacco is just beautiful. The fact that this blend seems to only come in a 100 gram tin can cause some pipe smokers to steer clear. Yest it is a little more expensive than most blends but it is totally worth the money. The long almost strop like looking flakes are stunning to look at and rub out effortlessly. The smell in the tin is glorious hay-like Virginias. This is the smell that will make the mouth of a veteran pipe smoker water.

This is what I consider a "high end" Virginia. The tobacco taste is bright and lemony and hay like, unlike blends such as Wessex campaign flake which is a dark Virginia taste. This one is on par with my all time favorite tobacco Orlik Golden Sliced.

The perique in this blend is not noticed by some but is very evident for me, at times almost a little too much. I tend to detect perique as a tingle in my nose, and I can definitely pick it up in this blend.

A pipe full of this bowl really is a journey with many transitions, much like a good cigar. The farther down the bowl the deeper and more robust the flavor. One of the few blends in which I look forward to the last part of the bowl.

Highly recommended and as a Virginia lover I will always have plenty of this blend in my cellar.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)

I didn't review this to say anything new - just so I could rate it 4-stars. From the bulletproof, airtight can to the unique giant flakes this is the closest thing to perfect pipe tobacco I know. There are inspired scented wisps of smoke in every can that catch you by surprise.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

It's all been said...but I love the subtle hint of burley and perq, all so soft, I love that it's VA citrus flavour is more oranges than lemon, I love that it still has that barny, hayfield touch. It's creamy, sweet, soft, subtle, with just the right amount of seasoning...no drying from the tin required, just rub and stuff. Long, big, golden quality in a understated fashion...shear perfection. 5 stars.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was a bit hesitant in trying this tobacco as I'm a Virginia smoker per se'. Not knowing how much Burley was in the mix was a concern. To my delight, the amount of Burley is comparatively small... and it does provide a "creamy" taste yet not overly so.

The balance is exceptional and while not complex, this straightfoward tobacco has become one of my favorites. The room note is also superb... and I've yet to encounter anyone who hasn't commented on how good the tobacco smells.

I most often smoke this in a straight billiard size 5 pipe and do not rub out the flake much at all. An easy light, this tobacco burns even and smooth and a few tamps is all that's necessary to enjoy a full bowl.

This is a pleasant change for the more matured Virginia plugs I normally smoke but it has a place in my rotation and goes well with a scotch or coffee.

...a pipe is to be savored

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

The cut of the flakes seems to be inspired by Marlin Flake. There are just five flakes in the tin, each one about a foot long. I have seen a longer flake only in the Marlin bulk packaging, where the flakes are about two feet long.

The tin of Long Golden Flake I am smoking now is about two years old, and given that there is no air-tight factory sealing, the tobacco has preserved its moisture very well. The golden colour has darkened a bit, and both the tin aroma and the taste have ripened.

I find this blend to be on the savoury rather than the sweet side. For some reasons of body chemistry I have never taken to either Three Nuns or Elizabethan: it seems to me that LGF does better than the former two in combining virginia and perique. A pity that this is not very freely available.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)

Jim Inks is spot on with tasting notes. Citrus, hay and wood. This is like Orlik GS but more potent, and seemingly with more depth. First thoughts...I took much too much time getting around to trying this! I'm not much of a VA guy, or even a vaper guy, but this stuff just hits the right notes. An instant hit with me and promptly added to cellar. Gotta love that paint can lid on the tin, too. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: MM Jesse James

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

I received a healthy sample of this from a friend. It was mostly long flakes with some of them broken. Moisture level was good. The pouch note is hay and a whiff of citrus. I don't get any perique in the pouch note.

I mostly rubbed this out, but some of the intact flakes I folded and made a cannonball - rolling it in my fingers before stuffing. The smoke was cool and tasty - it was sweet and hay with a little burley for body. There was a slight citrus in the flavor which brought out some tart in the Virginia. The perique is a condiment. You get just a little spice when puffed, but it is a light presence.

This reminded me of OGS in a different flake format. OGS has a little more of the citrus and is slightly sweeter. They are both great smokes.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is becoming an almost cult tobacco. And with good reason. Its maybe, now, the best Virginia/ Burley/perique blend out there. The very VERY slight orange overlay is barely noticed and mostly what I take away is high quality Virginias and unusally tasty burly. A lot of burly blends tend to get sharp or just be tasteless. Not this. Its balanced and the Perique is only an accent, but its there. It has a decent nicotine hit, and full flavor. Not heavy, but not exactly light either. Slow burning and never bites. Its one of the best tobaccos out there IMHO.

Purchased From: 4noggins.

Similar Blends: Brings back fond memories of 221 Baker Street, my mixture. Back when dunhill was dunhill. And it is not dissimilar to Macbaren's Modern Virginia Flake, though with less topping..

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The "paint can" tin is the best in the business and there is no need to transfer the tobacco into a mason jar, as it will hold the moisture level perfectly. The tobacco comes in long, rolled up flakes and the moisture level is just how I like it and ready to be smoked right out of the tin. This is the best presentation I have come across and I proudly display it alongside my pipes. I have smoked it in all different sized bowls and I prefer to smoke this in a larger bowl because a smaller one is just too short of a smoke and I find that when I'm smoking this one, I never want it to end. This blend smokes cool and feels soft and silky as I retrohale, it can surely bite when pushed too hard but it's overall pretty forgiving. I definitely detect a very light top note but I wouldn't consider this an aromatic, it's just enough to add to the overall nuance of the blend. At first, I thought that this tasted exactly like Orlik Golden Sliced and it does have some similarities but this here blend is on the shelf above the top shelf, it's absolutely amazing and I promise you, it doesn't get any better than this. This blend is a bit on the pricey side but R.L Will is very strict on what tobaccos make the cut, he only accepts the best of the best so I have no problem paying for quality and quality is really an understatement in regards to this blend. The tobacco burns down to a fine grey ash and never leaves moisture build up in the bottom of the bowl. I have found my Holy Grail, boys and I'm willing to share it with all of you, just be sure to leave some for the rest of us. I honestly don't know why I even smoke other blends within the same genre, nothing compares... nothing! Absolutely essential!

Pipe Used: Neerup, Colossus, Savinelli.

Age When Smoked: Right out of the tin

Similar Blends: Motzek Strang, Orlik Golden Sliced.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (39)

A beautiful, flavorful and, for me, bite-free smoke. Sort of the Mercedes S class of virginia burley blends. Hesitated between "extremely mild" and "none detected" for flavoring.

Purchased From: PipesandCigars

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)

Here's another tobacco that is deserving of all the rave reviews. Presentation is excellent and the flakes are LONG and about as thick as your average Danish flake. My only complaint about the packaging (which is high class, by the way), is that it is rather bulky. So if you're on the go it would be best to transfer an amount into a smaller container.

The moisture content on a freshly opened tin is perfect and needs no dry time whatsoever. Tin note is fresh hay, a slight touch of citrus, with a deep fermented spice note.

First 5 or 10 minutes of the bowl yields a smoke that has a slight peppery spice to it, with a nice underlying sweetness. The sweetness slowly picks up while the spice fades to the background. 15 minutes in I am in total Virginia heaven. Very rich and full with a delicious multidimensional sweetness.

As the smoke progesses, the perique influence as faded mostly away while the Burley begins to make itself known. The last 15 minutes of the bowl, the Burley and Virginias do a wonderful break dance session. The Burley throws down then steps aside while the Virginias work their magic. This dance continues till the last puff where all that remains is a nice pile of ash and very little dottle.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure I've ever smoked a tobacco this complex (in a pipe anyway). It is absolutely masterfully blended, with each component contributing exactly what they should. It holds my interest the entire bowl, constantly changing and shifting into something else.

This tobacco is a true work of art and should be highly sought after by Virginia lovers everywhere. Absolutely amazing.

Pipe Used: Peterson 106 billiard, among others

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)

Ordered this tobacco from DanPipe after reading so much good reviews here. Tobacco comes in long flake form (long strip of pressed tobacco). The smell from the tin is just fantastic - sweet grassy aroma with some spiciness to it and some citrusy notes. Moisture level fresh from the tin is almost perfect.

Lights with no problems but needs regular relighting throughout the bowl. It will get quite hot if puffed too hard. Maybe the burning would benefit from some drying. After first light I am greeted with sweetness from VAs and Perique makes appearance almost right away with slight peppery note.

The taste is very sweet. I can definitely taste some lemon or orange in the smoke. Spiciness picks up a notch after half of the bowl. Also there is some sort of bitterness to the smoke, maybe because of Burley.

Smokes down to light grey ash. I would say that the room note is quite pleasant. Certainly no one is bothered if I smoke this indoors. This is a very nice VaPer blend. The tobaccos used in this blend are top notch quality. I would recommend this to any VaPer lover.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Royal Danish Bent Dublin

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

just purchased within the last month or so and this has quickly become a favorite of mine that I find myself reaching for constantly.

It's a beautiful long cut, golden Va/Per flake. the Tin note is amazing, you can smell a bit of the perique "spicy-ness".

It doesn't burn too hot, contrary to some of the 1star reviews, this. is. not. cased. it burns easily all the way down without a ton of moisture or gurgling.

the only downside is that it's a tad bit expensive than some other blends but, for me, coming from someone who smokes cigars and has/will spend $10 or more on a cigar that lasts 2 hours - spending a little bit extra on 100g of pipe tobacco that will last me quite a while - I find it to be worth it. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Ashton, Johs, Kurt Huhn, Cavicchi

Similar Blends: Heinrich's Golden Sliced.

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)

Lovely tin note, mostly just the smell of good virginia, no cocoa from the burley, but a hint of raisin. Rubs out easily, packed a bit loose it smokes to the heel with little drying time. Tastes like a great straight virginia, the perique and burley are well in the background. Very bright, sweet but not overly so, and great grassy/hay notes throughout and a slight bit of spice from the perique, which stand out more towards the end of the bowl as the sweetness subsides a bit. Really wonderful tobacco taste. Not sure anyone else is enjoying the room note, but smelling it on my clothes sure makes me want more. Didn't find it to smoke any hotter than most virginias, personally, but full flavor definitely requires a slow smoke. Wish it wasn't 23 bucks a tin, but other than that I can't find anything to complain about. This is great tobacco. Didn't really taste the burley, but that's my palate, I'm sure, and not the blend. Not similar to anything I've smoked. Almost, but not close enough to call.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, Briar

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginia is foremost in this blend. The taste comes almost fully from the VA. The sweet VA taste is excellent and doesn't bite or burn if you puff too fast.

I did not detect any perique in the blend so it is either well hidden or the tin I had aged enough to dull it.

The burley is nice for some added nutty taste. The light and burn is helped by the burley and makes this a great introduction to VA flavor for newer people. You don't have to fight this blend to keep it lit.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my absolute favorite tobaccos.

I like to pack this flake vertically in a smallish pipe with a touch rubbed out on top, but I have also found that rubbing a bit out and placing it in the bowl first with bits of cubes cut from the flake on top works wonders as well.

Upon charring light there is an immediate bready sweetness and a noticeable spice. I find this flake to have a smooth body yet also a lively mouth feel, as well as a perfect balance between the sweet, spicy and tangy.

The primary flavor profile is on the sweeter side of the spectrum, and the piquancy of the perique deftly lingers in the background. The white burley adds a bit of depth helping to create a flavor that is moderately complex but never dulls. Long Golden Flake is simple yet delightful pipe tobacco of the highest quality and each time I smoke this I put the pipe down incredibly satisfied.

In my opinion, a reference blend in the Vaper category.

Highly recommended

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Another great R. L. Will blend! and one that is accessible to a wide range of smokers. Being a fan of solani 633 and solani aged burley flake, I gave long golden flake a chance - and I am glad I did. This is an extremely well rounded smoke.. The first thing you notice about it is the care of the presentation. It looks amazing.. then you smell it and you know you are indeed in for something special. the smoke itself is mainly about the virginias.. although there is a little perique and some burley influence.. but you just taste the finest natural tobacco flavors in a beautiful flake form.. I think it is cased. but not much.. very natural tasting.. the quality of the smoke makes me wonder if there is some aging going on before it is packaged and sent off.. very smooth even and even elegant smoke. edit:

Having just recently tried orlick golden sliced it was interesting how closely related these two tobaccos seemed to be. Whatever flavoring is added (be it discreetly) is nearly the same! LGF has the addition of perique which adds a little complexity.. but both blended flakes are quite good and in the same profile as far as I am concerned.. I guess the novelty of the reiner presentation along with the perique give it a very slight edge.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a smooth and rich bodied blend. Bright gold Virginias at the forefront, followed and bodied-out by sturdy burley. The burley is earthy but subdued, not thick or heavy enough to dull the Virginia sweetness. Having tried it in a brand new pipe, the top of the bowl set my tongue a bit a-tingle with premonition of harshness and bite, which luckily didn't pan out. It soon resolved itself into bright, rich flavor with a savory needle-like sweetness that remained even after the burley and perique kicked in past mid bowl.

Sweet and tangy, with a real tobacco taste. The perique is introduced with incredible subtlety and effectiveness. This is probably the best melding of perique with Virginia and Burley that I've yet tasted. I must own up to the fact that my experience with Virginias is relatively limited; I'm more of an English/Balkan smoker. But by any standard, this is really, really fine tobacco blended to render a rich complexity from the bright Virginia.

You can fill it in the pipe by folding the flake or rubbing it - it works either way and the fill method would depend solely on your preference. I use it to break in a new pipes, and even in a new pipe the relights were few, as it burns smooth and steady. A benchmark baccy experience for me.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)

This is a very nice flake. A true delight to smoke. Perfect for those times when you don't quite know what you want. The flavour is mild and delicately sweet, primarily a golden VA, but burley is noticeable and dulls it down more than I would have preferred. The perique reveals itself mainly in a spicy finish.

Moreover I have smoked few flakes with such good burning capabilities, whether you rub it or fold it, it more often than not end up being a one-match deal. Tastewise I detect no significant difference, so the method of packing is left to your preference.

Despite that I would have liked to see less (or none at all) of the burley and perhaps more perique, it's hard to find any major faults with LGF, so highly recommended it is. I've enjoyed a bowl of it daily for the last couple of months.

I believe that this can safely be bought by beginners and pros alike.

The tin is also an example I wished more manufacturers would adhere to. It's not only attractive, but practical as well.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)

This gets four stars. I don?t think there?s any question or need to wax poetic, laud the presentation, sing the praises of the skillful rendering of a superior flake. I mean any need for me too; it already seems pretty well covered. The question seems to be is it worth the cost. I couldn?t get this stuff locally so I had to order from pipesandcigars dot com, I also had them send me a half a pound of Anniversary Kake which was 50 cents cheaper than the 100 grams of LGF. I like Anniversary Kake. A loti had plenty of time to think about things. I thought about getting a couple of corncobs strictly for taste testing LGF. When it got here I used my favorite Radice Silk Cut bent brandy instead. That pipe retails for about 250 bucks more than a corn cob. Does it smoke 250 bucks better? I think that?s the wrong question. The accurate answer to that question would make us all a bit foolish.

Anyplace that sells eighteen year old single malt also sells twelve year old, ten year old, three year old and a variety of blended whiskeys. If your intent is to get shit faced and insult your boss?s wife you get the best bang for the buck out of Maddog 20/20. I?m not trying to sound snobbish here or anything but at a certain level of refinement cost is hardly the issue. I can?t imagine anyone I know saying they?d prefer, if I were buying, a three year old blended over an 18 year old single malt.

I think if you were searching for all day five bowl a day blend and you pulled down 12K a year that LGF is the absolute wrong smoke for you, but that doesn?t lose it a star, nor does the fact that I get three times as much Anniversary Kake for the buck lower the rating for LGF, but comparing the cost of two tobaccos I gave four stars too is again like comparing the smoking quality of the Radice against a corn cob, it?s an unreasonable way to look at things you can?t put a dollar and cents price on a sublime experience. I guess the best answer to ?Is it Worth It?? is can you afford it? I?ll go through a lot more twelve year old scotch and Anniversary Kake than I will eighteen year old scotch and LGF, but I don?t regret the occasion or the sublime joy that is smoking LGF or drinking an eighteen year old Glen Morangie.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I smoke a bowl of Long Golden Flake each day. It comes in wide, rolled flakes as has been described above. A neutral sweetener has been added which does not interfere with the taste of the tobacco. It rubs out easily and is best a little on the moist side, unusual for Virginia's according to my taste. It packs easily. Try as I might, I cannot detect the burley. The Perique is evident, but very restrained, a perfect treatment of Perique in combination with the overall effect of this blend. The flavor is primarily a sweetened Virginia, and I would agree that the operative word is "delicious." I do not mean delicious in the sense of the heavily cased PG blends, but as the word to describe the taste and after taste of Virgina and Perique. Should the tobacco become a little dry in the tin after opening, the addition of one drop of water directly to the bottom center of the tin will bring the tobacco back to perfect smoking condition in a day. Recommended. Paddy.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

At first I was not impressed with what seemed to be a light VA. I left it in the tin in my 1950's cooler converted humidor and kept going back to it from time to time. As it has aired out I am appreciating the Burley fullness that comes on mid way and satisfies my strength requirements. Sweet VA flavor initially. Some spice from the perique is present. Considering I have gone over to mainly dark VA's, I am surprised at how much I like this.

Pipe Used: Bari Hand Made

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: ?.

madmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
madmojo (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I could go into the azure hue of twilight and sounds of Mingus that are in this tobacco. Instead I will say this, I keep hearing it said that R:LGF is just like Orlik: Golden Sliced. I have tried both, R:LGF is my go to blend and I do not care for Orlik much at all. Count me as one vote for not the same.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)

Well there is nothing much to say here but it is true this is the Grace Kelly of the Virginia world , classy is the only thing I can think of to described this tobacco the virginias are the lead, with the burley to hold back the sharpness of the virginias, with that being said the burley is barely noticeable the periquete keeps things from being boring but I can barely tasted it except that you know is there because you can smelled in the tin and it weaves in and out toward the bottom half of the bowl, everything about the mixture is just done right the only knock that it is pricey and the nicotine could be higher but it is a must buy.

Pipe Used: Winslow nosewarmer

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

This is a great VA flake in a fun format - picture one big long flake the width of your leather work-belt rolled up in the paint-style tin. Sweet VA tin note. Tear off a piece and rub it out gently, set to dry on paper for 20-30 minutes. Graham-cracker sweetness in the bowl with grass and spice flavors accompanied by the classic soft, sweet VA room note. My favorite drink pairing is 50/50 brandy and orange-brandy swirled over ice. I did not realize until after enjoying this combination often over several years that the blender indicates a honey / orange flavoring in this blend - maybe that's why this tastes so good with orange brandy. Medium nicotine and consistent easy burn down the bowl. I always look forward to the next pipeful of this blend.

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)

Holy cow, this is a great blend. I smoked one 100g tin of this and turned around and ordered three more for my cellar. I'll probably add more if the next tin, with a little extra aging, tastes as good as the first.

Looking back at my notes, here are some adjectives I wrote: delicious, excellent variation, excellent progression, balance of sweet and savory aromas, easy, and tasty.

It seems whatever size bowl or puffing cadence (noting that slower is better, of course), this blend worked for me.

Plus, it's hard not to love the paint can tin.

Pipe Used: Several dedicated to VA, Burley, Perique blends

Age When Smoked: Five years in the tin

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

First impressions...Wow!

A friend of mine cracked a tin of this last Oct., so as of this writing I know the amount gifted to me was at least 9 months old. The tin is awesome and the long sheet of tobacco rolled inside is just as enthralling as the smell that wafts from the tin. Smells sweet, fruity, citrus, hay and a bit of earthiness to boot. Beautiful light brown to yellow specs of tobacco mingle with each other in this long flake ribbon.

This tobacco is extremely easy to rub out and load in your pipe. It lights and stays lit better than any flake I have smoked yet.

The flavors from the smoke are amazing. The smoke is creamy, not just in texture, but also in flavor...almost a cheese flavor, but I wouldn't go that far. The smoke is sweet and rich. The sweetness is a citrus, creamy sweet that mingles with some hay and good virginia tobacco flavor. The topping is noticeable but only slighly. About 2/3 of the way down the bowl it becomes more strong and robust and loses a bit of it's light sweetness, however that sweetness dances in your mouth throughout the bowl from time to time. It does have some punch to it...not strong, just more than other virginia flakes I've tried (other than Irish Flake, University Flake, etc...). As I write this about the sweetness of this blend, I must say that it isn't sweet like an aro and that it is nicely balanced with the nutty burley and just straight up tobacco flavor. It's a great tobacco!!! I don't know what else to say.

I was so impressed with this tobacco that I didn't expect to wow me this much, that I purchased a tin for myself. I'm finding that I do like virginia and virginia combo flakes (there will be more reviews of other flakes coming in the near future).

Pipe Used: Cob, Billard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red).

edris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
edris (1)

This is by far one of the best tobaccos I have ever purchased, highly recommend this tobacco to anyone who is interested in English blends. you can find somewhat similar taste in Rattray's blends.

Pipe Used: Stanwell number 12

Age When Smoked: 1.5 year

Purchased From: http://www.cigarworld.de/

Similar Blends: Rattray´s British Line Pfeifentabak Hal O'The Wynd.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First impression was poor, but after giving it more tries and experimenting with moisture and packing, this is a good solid blend. Smells like pumpkin and apricot in the tin, and surprisingly it tasted as such too (to a degree, of course). Smoked cool enough, didn't bite. Simple good virginia, no complaints.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Well, this is one of my favorite for all time. You got to have (just a) little patience and the taste and smell will please you completely, even if you are a beginner or a "veteran". The N strength is close to mild, so don't expect to much in that area but that make it more pleasant for all day use. The can is filled with long sheets of mixed texture flakes but evenly placed (Perique and Burley predominant, but V make the difference) so you can smoke that packed (if you are a rookie) or...the best way crush in your fingers above the briar and fill it...let it breath for 4-5 min...and relax...and smoke...whatever. Additional... If you let the tin to age some years (I found one in my garage, probably 3 yrs old) is even more satisfying, so if you can, do that! :))

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

Similar to Orliks Golden Slices but much richer and complex. Also similar to Stonehaven but not as earthy and musty tasting. Very good stuff and definitely worth a 4 star rating.

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good "treat" tobacco to me. No way could I enjoy it more than once a day or even on consecutive days. A few times a month and it works nicely for me.

Looks like a leather belt and comes rolled up in a nifty paint can. I fully rub it out.

It's a busy-body tobacco that pipe snobs seem to enjoy, with all kinds of things going on in the flavor department. Licorice is pretty dominant to my palate, but there's also hay or grassiness. It's also pretty spicy.

To me, it's just too busy to enjoy on a regular basis. I smoke pipes for flavor and relaxation and don't want to be overwhelmed or constantly distracted. I can tell this is quality stuff and I find it nice on occasion.

I'm about at the end of my paint can (it has lasted over two years) and most likely won't get a replacement. There are other tobaccos I'm interested in or always want to have on hand. I'm glad I bought the can, however, and glad I smoked it, but I can easily live without it.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

This is a fantastic VaPer blend. Others have mentioned anise and licorice hints. They are there, but the funny thing is, I hate licorice and anise, and I still love this tobacco. A great outdoor spring and autumn tobacco.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

This a classic Danish Flake with a mild topping of honey and orange. Golden Virginia for the flavor, White Burley for the nicotine and to fix the topping and finishing with a very small amount of Perique to give it more strength and body. Beautiful presentation and tin aroma. Tastes sweet with orange notes, a very enjoyable smoke for those who like a light Va/Per Flake tobacco.

When aged, this tobacco becomes a different beast. It gathers more strength and flavor, you also have a rounder, creamier taste and the light sharpness disappears by mid bowl. The orange topping becomes more subdued and the Burley nuttiness can be tasted at times, as does the Perique plum/peppery flavor. This is one of those blends that benefits immensely from aging, even if the tin has been opened for a long time.

On a side note, the tin with an old school lid is incredible at keeping tobacco moisture, so it's a keeper after you're done with it's content. We all know how frustrating it is to have a died out Virginia flake.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin note was of a slight Anise aroma. The Anise essence dissipates after a few puffs & wont interfere with the tobacco flavor. This is a quality blend that smokes mild with that certain sweet taste that only these mixes can provide. I prefer a stronger blend but this works pretty good...gains a little more strength toward the end of the bowl.

Anyway, tasted pretty good, didn't bite, was easy to prepare & burned down to a gray ash. This didn't make it to my top ten but I'll pinch off a flake on occasion and enjoy a friendly smoke. I think my top ten list will have to advance to twenty now. So many varied blends to choose from these days. Therefore, IMHO, Reiner's LGF merits four stars. Sampled in a Dunhill, size two Shell Briar.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I finally took the plunge and ordered some Reiner LGF and I am happy I did. First let me address the issue of price, which some have complained about. A bit less than $20 for 100gm is very competetive with the normal fair of high-end tobaccos in 50gm amounts going from $9-$12 (Orlik Golden Slice is one of the exceptions to this for such a fine flake). I paid $9.92 for a 50gm tin of Marlin Flake with the same order, so we're in the same ball park.

Now for the review. Upon opening the tin I found a nicely coiled belt of tobacco of a predominantly golden color with darker flecks throughout. Its tin aroma immediately reminded me of Orlik's Golden Slice but was more orange-forward. The hint of OGS's lemon was present, retaining its Bergamot character - just not as stong. I detected no traditional aroma associated with Perique. The moisture content was just right for smoking. A small piece of flake broke off one end and came apart quite readily. Tearing off a wad and packing without rubbing out is how I usually smoke this as I prefer not top rub out my flakes. Lighting was easy and I required one re-light after the initial two lights to start. The taste, for me, was similar to Orlik GS, but a bit stronger and fuller in character all around. I attribute this to the fine Burley used. As I am not a Perique fan, with Reiner's LGF I found the Perique wasn't as over the top as with some blends, nor was it musty. It added a very enjoyable spice-like presence (which good Virginia leaf can do on its own). The additional spiciness is all that set the two apart. Reiner's never smoked hot, nor did it produce any bite or moisture. With slow smoking, I also detected the presence of licorice. The aftertaste is a pleasant, honey/orange.

A very well put together flake. Final note: very much like Orlik's Golden Slice but not quite Virginia forward (but close), as the toppings can mute the Virginias for me. As some reviewers have noted a medicinal-like taste, I think what they are experiencing is the licorice in this (not off-putting for me, personally). It may serve as an everyday smoke for some, but I feel Orlik's Golden Slice edges LGF out in this regard. As I am not a huge fan of Perique, I would have to say that with LGF it is just the right amount to add that nice spiciness to the smoke, and not over the top. If I didn't know it was there, I can't honestly say I would have been able to detect it. Although I reach for OGS more regularly, LGF is still a superb tobacco.

UPDATE 3-11-12: I just finished off an 18 month old tin. This noticeably improves with age. I have another unopened tin from 8-1-11 that I will let sit until it reaches at least one year before opening.

This is, by far, the best VaPer I've ever tried. If you tried IRC Flake, this is it plus the perfect amount of Perique.

Absolutely outstanding, probably the first must-be in my rotation. I have quite a few tins in my cellar and will have many more soon.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This and Old Gowrie are the only VaPers I've tried and they're not much alike. This is sweeter (from the burley?), has more Perique I think, too. Very satisfying, clean smoking. Can bite when I'm not paying attention.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Almost perfect.

Reiner's Long Golden Flake has the perfect packaging and the perfect presentation. The air-tight tin, the extra-long flakes packed in a spiral, the beautiful brown color and perfect texture make for an almost perfect experience, even before getting the tobacco into your pipe. The moisture content is almost perfect, requiring little or no drying out of the tin.

The flavor of the Virginias is super. It is almost a perfect tobacco. But it will not make my favorites list, or even my regular rotation.

The only strike against this is the casing/topping. More than one flavor is present, putting this tobacco in the aromatic or light aromatic category for me. The anise or licorice flavor, which imparts a strong medicinal odor to the tin, can be tasted throughout the bowl. The medicinal flavor does not dissipate, and it dominates the flavor of the pipe from beginning to end. It is just as strong nine months after opening. It makes me ask if the blender is trying to cover up some shortcoming in the tobacco. But it is probably intentional. I suppose some folks prefer this flavor.

I long for a Long Golden Flake that is more 'natural,' without the licorice or other added flavors.

Update: 2 August 2010 After spending a few more months with this tobacco, I am marking it down to two stars. It is monotonous, dull, and dominated by the anise or licorice casing. There are so many Virginias out there that are so much better than LGF. It's not bad stuff really, but I always finish wishing I had chosen a different Virginia for my pipe, like a Rattray's or Solani VaPer, made in the same factory.

Update: 5 September 2010 I took LGF on a camping trip, smoking it daily for a while. The medicinal licorice flavoring drove me nuts. I've given up on this tobacco. This emperor has no clothes! One star only!

Update: 14 December 2010 Finally threw out the remainder of my LGF. There are too many good tobaccos out there to waste any more pipes on this one.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Outstanding.LGF it's a winner,pricey,I know,but worth every penny. This one can stay with other full Va like Samuel Gawith,McClelland etc. It seems a light-medium weight at first,but I find a kick lingering in this tobacco,especially if smoked in group 5 pipes or greater. In my opinion it recall Orlik Golden Sliced, but LGF it's much better.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a truly great blend, I think the reviews below do justice to this blend, I think that Eulenberg says it best and I quote " When I smoke this I am in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, and my heart beats so fast I can hardly speak" He also goes on to describe the Golden Virginia as a "Scrotem tingling delicacy" Smoke this and experience the ultimate a pipe can give. Mo, South Africa. I think this is the 19999th review on this site, good luck to whoever gets the 20000th. Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all pipers. ps I hope that before I submit this review someone beat me to it and I get the 20000th, lol

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased a tin of this tobacco when I could not get Laurel Flake (made for Knoxville Cigar Company by Samuel Gawith - they were "sold out"). I was specifically looking for a similar blend and this did not disappoint.

Although this flake is lighter in color and perhaps a little softer than Laurel Flake, the taste and aroma are similar. The addition of Burley hightens the nutty taste, and it is a little less plummey (perhaps less Perique). I am also guessing that Long Golden Flake is not stoved (The darker and slightly harder feel of Luarel Flake leads me to believe it is stoved.) There usually is some measure of Turkish leaf in all Virginia flakes to balance it, but who knows what it is.

This tobacco is "top shelf". There is no drek, dust or broken leaf in the tin, just a long roll of beautiful flake which rubs out easily. I detected no top dressing or flavoring, just the characteristic Virginia/Turkish flake aroma with Perique. The tobacco lighted easily (moisture content was perfect)and burned well without too many re-lights. It did not overheat, even when I caught myself puffing too heavily. It did not bite my tongue or assualt my palete and was just a wonderful smoke. LGF and LF will be steady favorites.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Reiner Long Golden Flake is one of the best Virginia/Perique tobaccos I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them, being primarily a Virginia smoker). The tin aroma is great and the taste even better: lots of sweet Virginia character, the right amount of Perique (just enough to let you know it's there) and a little Burley to add some nice toasty overtones. The flavor is pretty consistent throughout the bowl, with the Periqure predominating at the beginning and the Burley toward the end. While no flavoring is mentioned in the product description, I suspect there is one, although it is definitely in the background and blends well with the taste of the tobaccos. Overall, it reminds me of freshly baked ginger bread -- rich and delicious.

Like all flakes, LGF require a bit of preparation but it's easy to light (i.e., good moisture content), burns steadily and cleanly, and does not bite as long as it's smoked slowly (as all Virginias should be).

If you are a Virginia lover, there's a lot to like here. LGF is definitely one of the best. A little pricey, but well worth the money.

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)

Heaven in a paint can. When I first popped the lid and tried it, I found it somewhat harsh, I had to put it away for the winter while I healed from dental surgery. When I came back to it, I thought it would be a dried out husk. Nope. In fact, it seemed to have dried perfectly and is simply one of the best smokes I've had. It's smooth, behaves, stays lit. It gets a little wet, but that is probably because I am a greedy huffer. Some have commented on its monochrone taste, but I think there is more interplay here than in many VA's.

I smoked this in a Stanwell HCA churchwarden. While this would probably be considered by many to be mild in the nicotine content, by the end of the bowl I had to stop because I could feel nicotine queasiness I don't usually suffer. It can sneak up on you, so be mindful.

My tin is different than what I see on online sites selling it. It is called Blend 71 rather than Long Golden Flake.

I am usually a straight VA smoker. This blend easily stands with Rattray's and SG Full Virginia Flake and I intend to keep this in stock.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is at the top of Virginia/Perique mixtures like 'Haddo's Delight' and 'St. James Woods'. It comes in a beautiful gold 'paint can' revealing a beautiful singular flake of VA, perique, and white burley with the perfect moisture content to pack and puff. If this blend was a car, it would be noted for it's mid range acceleration. This is because at mid-bowl, the VA and burley harmonize and the perique zest gets you in the zone. Nasal exhalation at every few puffs is the way to smoke this stuff. It has little bite, but slow and steady is the way to go for a smoke of such quality. The room note will not win accolades. I was told "It smells like ass" 4 stars!!!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

WOW, for this English tobacco lover to rate this tobacco up in the range of his beloved 965, is an accomplishment of the highest order. This is an exceptional tobacco, with a buttery/nutty flavor and with a hint of sweetness. The Perique in this blend is so light or of such quality that it is barely noticeable, except for some delicious tang. It was truly a stroke of genius to add some high quality burley to a high quality Virginia/Perique blend, all at just the perfect proportions. Slow puffing will reward you with the fullest flavor. Although this review is done after only smoking 100 g?s, I plan to keep some of this on hand at all times.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

It?s all been said and most agree this is a fine tobacco. I do too. I should only add that sometimes, not always, in the first third of the bowl, LGF presents a grass-like/hay-like/straw-like taste then recedes. Mid to late bowl the taste evolves into a smoother, sweeter, and citrusy taste. The perique is quite muted just the way I prefer. All in all, a nice blend that?s easy and pleasant on the palate with no bite. I find LGF very similar to but better than Orlick Golden Sliced (red).

I rate this tobacco 8.5 out of 10

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

I am not much of a burley fan. Therefore, I was somewhat hesitant to give this one a try. I was pleasently surprised as I found this to be a very good smoke. It is easily lit and burns very well. There is a nice slightly sweet taste and has a mild complexity. The perique just barely makes its presence known. The burley is very light in flavor and strength and should not frighten anyone away as it did me. It provides a delicate nutty aftertaste. LGF has an intresting trait - at least for me. It actually seems to get milder near the bottom of the bowl! A very good tobacco with a nice aroma that most bystanders will like. Highly Recommended!

Not much else to say. It ranks up there with Escudo and Haddo's and yet very much retains its own identity. Don't let the term grassy fool you. All though the term is appropriate, this is a very rich mix. Absolutely delicious!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, I second the Anise note in the tin aroma...very, very faint but it's certainly there. I do not notice it in the smoking however. Ok, yes, the tin is lovely; yes, the flakes are hugh and very nice; yes, the lighting is mild and a pleasant beginning. Following that I am amazed that this tobacco stays to mild and sweet, sweet, sweet all the way down. Not much change in the bowl as it goes but that's OK as the flavor is so lovely. Of course, this is except for just an itty bitty hint of Perique a little way in - such a deft touch. This is indeed a premium business in every sense of the term. (4.8 out of 5.0)

Today I had Bob's Chocolate Flake for breakfast (so to speak), Bjarne Flake de Luxe for later in the morning, then the Reiner Long in the early afternoon (just right, I'm thinking) and later after dinner some Esoterica Margate. All in all I'd say it's been a pretty damn good day! All of those I "discovered" here, as my local tobacconist (a generous term to be sure) doesn't know squat except to push the stuff in all the jars. Thanks gents!

An unusual presentation of a continuous flake ~ 3" wide that has been rolled into the tin. I just pull pieces from the roll and easily evenly pack them since the moisture content is ideal. A cool smoke even if mistreated and with little condensation. The taste is varied thru the smoke and becomes stronger and richer but never bitter. I just taste quality tobacco from start to finish and really enjoy this blend. However in 1/02, it cost me ~ $75/# via a web purchase. Too costly for an everyday smoke but great for a special treat. However, my final recommendation is based on my overall impressions without consideration of cost.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: This is a spicy, pungent smell, and the burley component is impossible to detect. The virginias used are very high grade, and almost overpoweringly fragrant. The oddest part of this aroma is that I swear that I detect the smell of Anise in here. It doesn't really show up in the flavor, but from the aroma, I am convinced it is used in this blend.

Physical Characteristics: This is a strikingly large flake. Each of the four or five flakes rolled into a 100 gram tin are easily 7 inches long and about 3 inches wide. The flakes themselves are very 'bright' in appearance, with the overall tone running to a lemon or light brown color. Initially, the flakes are very soft and pliable, but tend to flake out a little bit as they dry out. Perhaps any flake tobacco will do this when it dries and it is just more noticable here due to the size of the individual flakes. Some careful trimming will allow one to come out with a portion of flake of a suitable size for rolling up to load ones pipe, but rubbing these out is by far less trouble. This flake rubs out easily, and packs nicely, though it did give me some fits if I didn't allow it to dry a little bit first.

Notes: The first puffs of this are mellow and understated, a nice friendly handshake before getting down to the brass tacks of the smoke. The Perique is high quality, and seems to me to be real Lousiana Perique, as opposed to the 'Los Angeles' variety in vogue with some blenders, which lends a spicy note to their blends, but is immediately recognizable as an imposter to anyone who has ever compared the two side by side. The strength gradually increases throughout the first half of the smoke, until it reaches a nicely spicy point, at which point it plateaus and remains pretty constant throughout the rest of the bowl.

Verdict: This couldn't have hit the market at a better time for me. I am, as of this year, really beginning to enjoy virginia flakes. This is a nice mellow summer smoke, and forgiving enough that Virginia neophytes like myself can enjoy a well blended virginia/perique flake without turning our tongues into charcoal. A keeper.

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Having read the other reviews of this blend, I feel like I must have gotten something else. Still, I call them like I see/smell/taste them, so here goes: My first tin of Reiner’s #71, Long Golden Flake had 3 long tobacco belts rolled into a nice, antique-style tin, with a metal lid that can be re-used many times, however, it does not re-seal perfectly. The flakes are mostly medium brown, with flecks ranging from gold to dark brown. Tin note is wet, old leather, also celery root over geranium that smells a lot like St. Bruno Flake. Despite K&K say RLGF is topped with honey and orange, and I don’t doubt it, I never did smell or taste it as such. Strips of tobacco can be torn off the belts and folded and stuffed, but it takes patience to light and some technique to smoke it down like this, straight from the tin. It is easier to deal with if it’s rubbed out and dried some before smoking it, and it takes some time to dry it out. Lit, I get the celery/geranium over earthy air and also flue cured VAs, over tannic, bitter white burly, over slightly figgy, not-so-spicy Perique. Well dried, the topping fades considerably, but it remains a crossover, IMO. Smoked wet or dry, just about the time the fairly deep tobacco flavors start to balance, it tastes and feels to me like my mouth is getting coated by something that seems like my old nemesis, propylene glycol. Whatever it is, once this starts, it’s over for me, and I lose objectivity. Strength is more medium than mild. Tastes are medium. Room note is tolerable. Aftertaste for me is an oily, smoky version of the smoke.

To me, RLGF is a lot like St. Bruno Flake (which I have also reviewed, q.v.), but I much prefer the latter. I do perceive the quality of the RLGF tobaccos, but I can’t quite get into the actual blend as it’s presented, as I find this VA and this Burly are not well met, and I think the topping is too “isolated” from the tobacco and too strong for this blend at the same time, not to mention the PG/oiling. Basically, I can see where others might like it, but it’s not for me. Only because it’s +/- unique and “high quality” do I somewhat recommend RLGF; 2 stars from me. IMO, better stick with St. Bruno Flake.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: from tin and jar

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to St. Bruno Flake.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend doesn't agree with me. LGF leaves my pipe very hot and burns my tongue no matter how lightly I puff. The taste reminds me of cigarettes.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice mild, sweet VA to sit down too, some bright flavors but not overall bitey like many brighter VA's! I only got a small sample of this, but so far I'm only detecting a slight note of perique, and a bit of burley that seems to bring an excellent balance to the VA's. Overall nice stuff I'd say!

bladebev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bladebev (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very nice VA flake. If it was available bulk or tin at under $5 an ounce it would be 4 star.

The taste is of a medium bodied VA with enough burly and perique to mellow, smooth, and add body to the VA taste. Good quality tobacco.

Unlike many VA/Per blends there is not enough perique to evoke that "plummy" tin aroma or a nose tingling sensation, but enough to compliment the Va flavor. Descriptions of licorice flavoring and aroma are very puzzling to me, unless the perique is being mistaken for a topping.

I smoke 2-3 tins a year (cost), aged 5+ years.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I was smoking a tin of this during the last 3 months. This is an excellent quality beautiful Virginia/Burley flake naturally sweet, obviously top flavored with Anis and with some other stuff, the smoke is, in fact, delicious and tasty, the flavor is delightful, somehow gentle with organized and progressive levels of complexity, making this smoke clean, feminine and "polished", without any good or bad surprises.

Not my all day or every-day smoke, just good to have an opened tin of this around

Overall this is really a top quality tobacco, certainly worth your time and your money!

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

First off, I have to touch on what this stuff looks like coming out of the can. I received this in a New to Pipes trade. It came in a big golden 100g can that looked like a gaudy German Christmas gift. Very little of the writing on the can is in English and most of it is in German. And there really isn?t a description of what is inside the can. Anyway, when I popped the lid I was very surprised to find what was inside. It had a total of 3 flakes in there that were about 4 inches wide and 15 inches long all wound up in there begging to be rubbed out. They looked like FVF flakes on steroids to be exact.

The tin aroma was very ?Virginia-ey? with the normal dried fruit (raisons, dates, etc) smell wafting from inside. I could smell a little bit of Perique in there but not much. The flakes themselves were very golden in color (hence the name) but there were dark flecks mixed in here and there.

I went ahead and rubbed out the whole tin because I?m not what you would call skilled at smoking tobacco in its flaked form. I usually end up getting frustrated and then being mad the whole smoke so I just avoid that by rubbing it out fully. Once this was at the consistency that I like I went ahead and packed a bowlful. The tobacco was a bit moist but nothing like McC?s 2015 or some other blends that I have seen.

Lighting this up was fairly easy. I think it took about 3 matches to finally get this one going. During the first half of the bowl this was pretty much a sweet Virginia smoke. The Perique would slide in and out every once in awhile making its presence known but was not the main component of the first half of the bowl. I would say that the first part of this smoke was going rather well. It was a very smooth, easy smoke. Based on the taste I can tell that this blend has a lot of high quality tobacco in it. Once the blend got going I didn?t have to relight during the first half.

In the second half of this blend, the Perique seemed to make an appearance more often and with a bit more strength. And the blend turned a bit creamier smooth and had a bit of a buttery taste to it. I know that this blend also is supposed to have a bit of White Burley in it so that may have brought about the creamy, buttery taste. I?m not sure. It was very pleasant however.

Overall, this is a very well put together blend and is made with some high quality tobacco. It has an initial flavor very similar to FVF but has some different taste undertones as you progress through the smoke. The price is another concern for me. While this is a fantastic blend, unless I win the lottery someday it will be in my rotation only as a ?treat? smoke and not a daily smoke. If money is not a problem for you then I would say buy a few tins. One to smoke now and a few to cellar. If money is a problem for you then I would suggest that you try this at least once in your pipe smoking lifetime. It?s worth the extra $$ to try once.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

This is absolutely a fine quality tobacco. It's one of the few flakes I prefer to smoke in flake form as opposed to rubbed. Rubbing out makes this flake a little harsh and it has plenty of flavor anyway. Easy to light, easy to smoke, but the perique jumps out if you push it. Not my favorite flake, but I enjoy it a lot.