Made with the finest Cyprian latakia and Orientals from Macedonia and Turkey. It gives this mild English style blend a smoothness and seductive aroma you'll enjoy smoking even if you don't catch a fox.

BrandNording
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If they really discontinued this I think they're nuts. This is good stuff. A Lat forward light English with a light touch of vanilla. Well done and very tasty. You can push this a little before it tries to get hot. You don't have to be overly careful. Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. A little moist, but burns well straight from the tin. Really enjoyed this.

If this runs out you can try C&D's Snug Harbor. Same thing with a touch more body and flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Fox Hound is a typical McClelland English blend in tin note and texture. That’s not a bad thing, just a comparison. The tobacco needs some dry time. The Oriental component, which is of the usual McClelland high quality, leads the way with the Latakia and Virginias in supporting rolls. This is what many would refer to as a “crossover” English or an aromatic English. I find it really similar to Frog Morton on the Town, and lovers of that blend will likely enjoy this too. Its mild in strength, burns cool and the vanilla like topping leaves a nice room note. I don’t normally respond to other reviewers, but I have to say, this would only be like Nat Sherman’s City Island Dawn if City Island Dawn had Virginias, Orientals and Latakia rather than straight golden Cavendish. And it is nothing like 965, not even remotely. What Fox Hound is, is a nice entry level English blend for those looking to cross over from aromatics or for those that simply love a very mild English “style” blend.

Nording - Fox Hound (Hunter Blend).

This tin's stamped 03/2017, so it has just over a year's age on it. Such a shame this can no longer be obtained.

It contains a little more brown leaf than black, a couple of slightly coarse pieces, and has great hydration.

At first I couldn't taste any vanilla, as is often mentioned. But when I changed technique, and started retro-haling more, I soon noticed a silky smooth vanilla quality. The Latakia offers more flavour than the others, but it isn't a sharp Lat-Bomb. The combination of Lat and Orientals creates a mellifluous smoke, flavoursome, yet quite relaxed. The Virginia, although the lightest of the bunch, gives a tart, tangy, background note. The ONLY negative, to me, is the speed it burns at. It can go a bit quick. But the speed's probably a paradox of how nice it is: it's too delicious to just gently sip at, it's the kind of smoke which brings out the glutton in me! It hasn't got a bite in it.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: I like.

Fox Hound? Love it. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday Pipe

Age When Smoked: 03/2017

Matsutake Slayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matsutake Slayer (8)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Don't buy this weed, don't try this weed - it is not for you. Your children will rebuke you, your wife will leave you and your dog will pee in your slippers. Things may go poorly for you afterwards. Only calamity and misfortune will find you if you pursue this weed.

Find something else to smoke and leave this one all for me.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 15 yrs

Purchased From: a mischievous gnome in the woods

This is a very nice English style blend for those who like their "English" in lighter rather than heavy doses. And McClelland's did a great job by putting a really sweet Oriental in the mix that makes this blend truly shine as many English blends do not exhibit any sweetness while puffing.

Pipestud

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a fine addition to the series of tobaccos by Nording. All the elements come together nicely. This lights well and stays lit with no problems. I think this is the best of the series. It smokes down to a nice ash for me with no goop at the bottom of the bowl. Recommended.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Classic McClelland Heintz-like smell, along with something vaguely vanilla-ish, just enough to soften its English nature. Lots of browns and darker tones, ribbon cut. This tin dates 3 10, upon opening perfect in humidity, so much so that I only required two lights throughout the bowl, with no drying time.

It's a very "airy" smoke....it produces lots of smoke, but it's not that thick buttery texture that you'd experience with -let's say a Nightcap or a Penzance. The better half actually took a puff-which seldom happens-and agreed with that summation. Very yummy though, no vanilla, just a light Latakia blend. Lighter than Early Morning Pipe, or perhaps just more refined. Excellent early a.m. smoke, burns clean to dottle and tasty all the way there.

I'd give it a four except it seems its no longer available :( I'll be on the lookout for more-you'd do worse than grabbing a can if the situation should present itself to you!

UPDATE: A fantastic tobacco blend, and as I see P&C stocks it i have ingrained the name into the wife's memory-as Father's Been Good Day is closing in fast. The perfect early morning smoke!!!!

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

UPDATE: 9-19-07

I ordered 6 tins of this and got them no problem. If you like this blend get it while you can - if it has really gone out of production. One of the best all day smokes I've tried.

ORIGINAL: 7-28-07

This Nording Blend by McClelland is excellent. I would classify it as a Balkan Blend given the latakia and orientals. Don't be fooled by the above listing of VA's as the first, and perhaps the primary ingredient - they are not. I cannot visually or otherwise detect any VA's in the mix. Fans of Forgmorton will love this blend. I ordered a tin of Fox Hound and Frogmorton on the Town together, having already become a fan of Frogmorton (regular).

1) Cool and dry burning, easliy lit and re-tamped for a smooth, volumnous smoke

2) Latakia fix is there, which I love, but the orientals lighten and spice the mix just right. Nicotine is medium to mild.

3) Wonderful aroma, aromatic and English fans alike will praise this creation - along with the non-smoking passers-by.

4) True flavor and body to the bottom of the bowl, with NO BITE!! There are too many good tobacs out there to smoke a "bitey blend."

5) This one likes a deep/large bowl size. The coarse cut just doesn't pack well in a smaller bowl.

PS: To Erik and McClelland!

If you've stopped making this blend, please resume with all haste!!

PS: To all fans of the pipe!

Try this blend - its a winner!

Thanks,

Ethan

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

My thoughts on this when I first lit it up were "egads! a cavendish english blend!" Really: I checked to make sure I wasn't using a dedicated aromatic pipe. I'm not talking Captain Black here, but there's a telltale sweetness that isn't Virginia and not oriental. I note that I'm not the first to suspect the inclusion of cavendish (see BriarLaw's review). I was determined to dislike this bastard halfbreed just out of principle, but I found myself enjoying it. The sweetness oddly plays well with the orientals and latakia. It is a great gentle smoke to wake up to: not at all austere, harsh, bitey, "artistic" nor nicotine-laden. It has become my standard early morning smoke, quite tasty in its unique way.

If your tastes in tobacco are catholic, as mine are, try this. If your tastes tend to be, well, classical only, avoid.

atomzero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomzero (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend has an outdoor feel to to it, as the taste is very woodsy, and the tin note and aroma remind me of a fresh campfire. The aroma is well-executed, but perhaps not ultimately for everybody. To me however, this blend is autumn in a pipe, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

It smokes a bit wet, but burns very well. If you smoke it too hot, it starts to taste pretty soapy, but that can easily be avoided. I don't feel any strong buzz, but I certainly do relax while I smoke this down.

I can't wait to enjoy this around a fire on a fall evening.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I, too love this blend. The smell out of the tin is nice and unoffensive. The room note is strong, but not "Go outside and smoke that stuff" strong. It's a smooth tobacco that won't burn you tongue. It does have a pronounced "ketchup" taste as the bowl finishes. Wonderful and good so far, eh? That said, it is a WET tobacoo upon arrival. I swear if you took a handful of it and squeezed, water would drip. Even though it is very high in moisture, it is still fairly easy to keep lit. I left my canister open for a day and that made a big difference. It was still a bit moist, but much more smokable. Just for the record, I believe that most tobaccos NEED some moisture to bring out the flavors. C&D's blends are usually far TOO dry to be enjoyable. Their aromatics are ok,though.

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (17)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this one. I do not detect what other reviewers claim as added vanilla topping. I thought it was very smooth and actually reminded me of the old Balkan Sobranie. Many pipe snobs would probably scream at me for saying that but I can't help it. This blend invokes those memories. Definitely worth a try if you like a little latakia and a sweetish smoke.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

The tin reads "3 2008," and I can't tell if this is a dog or a frog. I'm guessing McC couldn't shelf a name as marketably pipe-worthy as "Fox Hound," so they cased some leaf in the great vanilla equalizer and re-released.

Very similar to Nat Sherman's City Island Dawn (and to the new My Mixture 965 for that matter), and a smokeable addition to that genre, but equally derivative and redundant. I'm no expert, but it's obvious even to me that this is not the Hound the rest of you have written about. How the folks who created my beloved Frog can feel good about this is beyond me.

I guess what bugs me is that, for those of us trying very hard to learn the ABCs, and maybe one day display some aficion, with regard to the blender's Art, cased leaf that bills itself as a "Virginia/Latakia/Oriental," using the name of a blend I will never actually smoke...it's just damn frustrating...my apologies to all. jm

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

05-19-2005

Appearance and Tin Aroma: methinks this is Old Dog or Frog Morton with a minor jumbling of the propotionss of leaf and some vanilla casing. It is mostly dark with a medium-broad ribbon cut.

Packing and Lighting: The ribbons are at perfect length with no fuss packing. A bit moist upon opening tin, but still lights fairly easily.

Initial Flavor: Argh! Vanilla casing! Say it isn't so! Yes, this is cased, but lightly. It does taste a bit bitter to me.

Mid-bowl: I can't get over the casing, it does not seem to mix well with the combo of leaves.

Bottom of Bowl: Bitter ending...Lots of moisture.

Overall: I don't mind a cross-over blend at all, but this blend just did not work for me. I tried a tin and half of this blend to see if it was just an ocaissonal fluke, but my experience was consistent. I gave the last half of the second tin away.