A blend of the best Virginia and Burley tobaccos subtly flavored and aged under pressure in the Danish tradition. To make a point, it's mellow and satisfying.

Notes: This blend is still in production.

BrandNording
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)

Not a bad blend, just not what I am looking for at the end of the day. It stays lit well and I had no problems keeping it going. I would recommend this just for the trying of it. Who knows, it may be just what you are looking for, just wasn't for me.

Paleoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paleoman (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

When smoking aromatics, I tend toward those that are blended with some Cavendish, so I needed to work through a few bowls with an understanding that the pace of the puff and the underlying flavors would resemble more or a straight Virginia/Burley blend.

After 4 good smokes, I would agree with those reviewers who found it to be a fine, yet unremarkable blend. It does seem to benefit from a period of drying before smoking as it can be a bit harsh right out of the tin. Once I settled into the pace of the puff, I found it to be a agreeable smoke. It is mild and pleasant in aroma, but after 4 bowls I never quite got the flavor of the Virginia that I was hoping for. I agree with CaptnDan that Burley may be overwhelming the Virginia a bit here. This was especially evident as I got the bottom 1/3 of the bowl.

While this is not a blend I will include in my regular rotation, I can see how it could be a favorite for some aromatic smokers, although for the price, I think equivalent Virginia/Burley blends by other blenders (I am thinking specifically of some of the blends by Russ Ouellette at Pipes and Cigars) may be a better choice.

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I recently got back into smoking pipe tobacco again, I only smoked cigars for about a year, but I'm back now and this was the first thing I picked up to get me back into it. I sure picked a nice tobacco. I used to only smoke aromatics but I think all the cigars made me not like the cased/chemical taste in them now, so I'm sticking to Virginias this time around.

This is a mild smoke, I've had about 4-6 bowls of it so far and I can say I'll be picking up another tin. The flavor really starts to come out around mid-bowl. I puff a lot, so it does burn warmer, but that's my fault, I'm still learning to slow down. but if you're looking to get into the mild tobacco or looking to transition over from aromatics, I say give this tin a try, You'll enjoy it.

Geoffrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geoffrey (3)

I'm on my second tin of this tobacco and I'll be buying more for sure. My wife loves the aroma and as long as I 'sip' and not puff I find it quite enjoyable. I would say that it gets better after it has been opened and the air gets to it. I don't mean 'open' to the air but the lid popped and then the plastic lid placed on the tin.

Do be careful and take excessive time smoking this one or your tongue and pipe will get quite HOT! I can easily spend 45 minutes on a bowl of this. It will stay lit but you are better off let it die from time to time just to slow up the smoking.

BTW - this is my 1st review so be gentle and give me constructive criticism.

mr_b76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_b76 (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Thought this was pretty good. I found that it had a very nice smokey taste, like that steak on a campfire taste. Give it a try, its a good medium to light virginia/burley blend.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This particular blend of finely cut, light and dark brown tobacco consists of Virginia and Burley. The scent from the tin is indeed quite near to a bag of Cracker Jacks!

The label refers to the tobacco as "Mellow. Satisfying." Considering the overt caramel scent it actually has a fairly mild flavouring. I had to smoke this blend carefully a couple of times to really get a sense of the flavour. As I suspected, it does indeed have a mild buttered-caramel popcorn taste, but subtlely so. The room aroma is likewise sweet and smooth.

This is a caramel-flavoured blend that I'm likely to keep coming back to because of its mild flavour?often aromatics have the fault of being too rich, and this might prove to be its best feature. It does pay to smoke this blend as slowly as you can manage, however, because it will bite if you don't pay attention to it.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been swimming against the assigned current, evolving from english to aromatic tobaccos, though I enjoy both types when done well. Aromatics tend not to be done well, though, I suspect flavoring is added to poor quality tobaccos to disguise. Ergo, the omnipresence of inexpensive, common drugstore aromatic blends and their stigma. Nording's Pointer is not one of them. It is a quality product and not over-sauced.

Unlike some other reviewers, I find adequate flavor in this blend, but I have to be patient until after the first quarter. Mostly sweet, vanilla-ish, standard Danish aromatic taste and smell. This is your social tobacco; many will enjoy your smoking it. The room note is very nice without smelling like burnt sugar nor perfume. Though I smoke for my own enjoyment, it helps to have something others like as well.

Though moist, it takes to the match readily and requires few relights. The flavor increases well into the second half and lasts to the end, unlike cheaper blends.

Nothing particularly unique about this blend. Better than the cheap aromatics, good to have around. Smoke this in a pipe dedicated to this type of tobacco, as it leaves a pleasant residue incompatable with say, balkan blends.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Pointer is said to be a Danish style Va/Burley blend. There is supposed to be a subtle flavor, but I never found it.

What I did find was some weak Va that couldn?t hold its own against the slightly bitter Burley. The two never quite meshed ? it was more of a clash. End of the bowl was no better than it started, with a bitter finish.

The Pointer doesn?t get a bone from me.

Harley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harley (5)

As a new pipe smoker, that had only smoked aromatics, this was my first introduction to a Virgina and Burley blend. I picked this up to break in my new Nording Hunter Moose pipe.

I am very pleased with this tobacco. It has a very mild, sweetish smell and taste. It burned well all the way down to the heel.

It might be too light for some more experienced pipe smokers, but I think it was a great first step. Now my aromatics seem overly flavored and too "goopy".

My wife enjoys the room note, it is mild as well. She told me it smells as a pipe should smell.

This tobacco was highly priced at my local tobacconist ($15/50g), but it can be found online for half the price.

This is definitely my favorite tobacco at the moment!

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I tried this tobacco more out of curiosity and JBR was out of stock of Nording Hunter's Retriever.

I immediately fell in love with Pointer as this is one of those tobaccos that rides the fine line of being an aromatic but leans more towards a Virginia Blend.

Very mild and very satisfying to me and I guess that is what really matters. No tongue bite, not an overwhelming aroma and the taste is very mild.

This tobacco has earned a place on the shelf of one of my favorites, and would recommend it to anyone who is starting out in becoming pipe smoker.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Well...my poetry isn't any better than lustra's, so, I'll bypass rythmic descriptives here. I must also bypass lustra's short & to the point analysis of this Nording blend because I don't quite agree with it. Instead, my impressions are more in line with NEWMAN's regarding the surprising tobacco flavor I received despite the initial thought that I'd opened a box of Crackerjack when I popped the lid.

Other than the candycorn odor wafting from the tin, there were no surprises here. This is a typical Danish style combination of Burley/Virginia (a light sweetness), and it burned cleanly and fairly cool too.

If you like to taste your tobacco in light doses, then flush out a tin of Pointer!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A couplet:

This is the Tobacco That Wasn't There. / This is the tobacco that smoked like hot air.

(And with thanks to a well-meaning friend who gave me the tin, apparently to save for my toothless old age.)

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This blend reminds me of the Green Amphora (Rich Aroma) that I smoked for years before Sara Lee sold out their interest and restricted the import into the US. It is my idea of a true Danish Cavendish that has been pressed, aged and then partially rubbed out. Mostly brown with some lighter flakes. Although the compostion of Burley and VAs and the smoking characteristics are ~ to the old Amphoras (some blends now sold in the US as Skandinavik), the tin aroma and taste are different and also remind me of popcorn. A mild smoke with only a slight casing where the quality tobacco taste can also be appreciated. Not even a hint of a bite and positive aroma reviews from others. Uniform burn in all sized bowls but slightly wet for me @ the bowl bottom. Although quite different from other McClelland blends, they have done a great job in creating this Danish blend and have a winner here.

saljs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
saljs (2)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I had to be persuaded to try this blend. After all, Erik Nording does pipes ... what does he know about tobacco? I was corrected when someone pointed out to me that McClelland blends this for Nording. OK. Let's pop the tin. Caramel popcorn. I swear the tin smells just like caramel popcorn. In my mind, this proves that I'm going to hate it because I don't like overly sweet, goopy tobaccos. It is finely cut ribbon, chocolate in color with an occaisonal lighter flake here and there. The tobacco appears a bit moist, but not overly so for a tin blend. It packs well, and I pack it loosely. The room aroma for this tobacco is delicious. Kind of a "cookies in the oven" character. The first few puffs prove rewarding. I CAN taste the burley and the casing provides a gentle hint of flavor. I'm halfway through before I realize how mild this blend has been on the tongue. Definitely no bite. Just mild, lightly cased, tobacco flavor and copious clouds of sweet smelling smoke. This is good stuff. The final third of the bowl can be a little wet. I suggest drying this blend out a little before packing. This is a good crowd-pleaser blend that will produce a rewarding and mild smoke.