A Virginia flake, plus the right amount of toasted cavendish flavored to give an excellent taste and aroma.

BrandBarclay-Rex
3.2
NJA62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NJA62 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Love at first whiff. If your preference is aromatic, give this blend a shot. IMHO, it has just the right amount of sweetness and smokes/tastes great when sipped. The room note is outstanding. Would like to know what others think, not many reviews for this blend. Cheers.

Pipe Used: Rossi Rubino

Purchased From: Barclay Rex Broad Street, New York

Ima Puffin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ima Puffin (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this enough that I've smoked several pounds of it in recent years. It has a distinctly different flavor unlike any other tobacco I've encountered. It kind of straddles the line between a flake and an aromatic. It smokes dry, and is not a sopping wet aromatic by any means. However, by the end of the 14 oz plastic container B-R ships it in, I've gotten kind of bored of it. I'm beginning to suspect that the casings in aromatics build up in a pipe to a sort "overload" point, and the pipe begins to sour thereafter. I use a small group of pipes to smoke a single tobacco. This allows the pipe caking to adopt the flavor of the particular blend, and allows each pipe to dry out a bit in between. I find it important to let a tobacco establish itself in a pipe before passing judgement. Alkazar is a neat tobacco. Give it a try! Barclay Slice is great, too.

GregJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GregJ (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first tobacco review and it makes perfect sense it would be for Alkazar. If I had to chose one tobacco to smoke for the rest of my life, this would be it. The first night a buddy of mine and I partook of it on the streets of NYC we were immediately met with the swiftly turning heads of those nearby saying "God that smells amazing." The first time I smoked it indoors at home my wife said "My god you can smoke whatever that is inside whenever you want!" This is one of those tobaccos that tastes as good as it smells. Dark mellow cavendish with a hint of what I would describe as black cherry but this is by no means a goopy overly sweet aromatic. It burns cool and even with a scent that is welcomed by all. It also ages incredibly well as it mellows and deepens in it's dark sweetness. In the future I will be sure to appropriate some for any day enjoyment and some for the cellar. This is the fine wine of aros and should get a lot more attention.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged 4 years.

Purchased From: Barclay Rex

YorkPA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YorkPA (4)

I love this tobacco. It offers a nice smokiness with subtle sweetness and a room note that most will appreciate. A perfect tobacco to please me and those around me.

Pipe Used: Mike Thomas canted rhodesian

Purchased From: Barclay-Rex

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

Beautiful room note and cavenish in this blend gives it a sweet flavor. I now have Barclay and rex use this as a mix. 2/3 Alkazar and 1/3 latakia and it is nice. Never really had a mix like this but if you want a sweet latakia blend, try the mix. Alone, it is a big too dessert like for my tastes.