A secret mixture of choice tobaccos
blended with Latakia. A smoker's delight.

BrandJohn Cotton
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A friend sent me a couple of bowls of this famous blend and I sure thank him! I had been wanting to try this legendary discontinued blend for years and it was indeed a little slice of heaven. The age had toned down the Latakia to the point where it was running neck and neck with the Virginia and Oriental leaf. As smooth and flavorful as any blend on the market today, enhanced by an old world flavor that only decades old tobacco can present.

If you ever have an opportunity to try Cotton's Smyrna, do not let the opportunity pass you by.

swaviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swaviator (3)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I hope that someone reading this post will have a tin of Smyrna they want to send my way. I've tried so many Latakia blends, but nothing, but nothing matches John Cotton's Smyrna. Does anyone know of a comparable blend? Or someone who knows the recipe and can blend it properly? If so let me know...I'm desperate for that fine smoke.

ELROD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELROD (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is my first review and I must devote it to the blend I have enjoyed the most, my absolutely all-time favorite but sadly discontinued John Cotton's Smyrna. I discovered it by accident around 1980 and was blown away by it because of its incredible aroma. It was not a latakia or nicotine bomb by any means and the aroma was unlike anything else I have ever tried. I smoked Smyrna many times and then, after a smoking hiatus, I discovered that it was no longer available because John Cotton had gone out of business.

I am on a perennial quest for something comparable but have not found it yet and probably never will. For me, pipe smoking is all about the aroma and Smyrna had the best I have ever found: pungent, oriental in character, seductive, intoxicating.

I have tried the current version of Balkan Sobranie and found it lacking as well as the McClelland blend called Smyrna. Neither one has that unique aroma I miss so much. I agree with the other reviewers. When JC's Smyrna disappeared from the market we lost a phenomenal blend truly deserving of legendary and hall of fame status.

Pipe Used: Various bent pipes

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

I could only wish to smoke this old blend on a regular basis. Sadly, my recommendation and review come from memory and the one old tin I had stashed away that I recently discovered. Smyrna was one of those blends that I kick myself for not have bought in large quantities when it was around. Since I don't know what tobaccos comprised this blend, I will only say that if you dig orientals and you ever come across an old tin of this blend, buy it and savor every moment smoking it. It will never come again.