A secret mixture of choice tobaccos blended with Latakia. A smoker's delight.

Notes: For the new production see listing under The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania

BrandJohn Cotton
Blend TypeOriental
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
reedsteve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reedsteve (7)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The bigger question is not where one can beg a couple of tins but who among the great master "blenders" would research patent and copyrights of this, followed by sourcing tins from the more visionary collectors and hoarders (you know who they are). The final impetus may well be to suspend a bit of brand identification ego for one of today's best producers to revive this product that is better than theirs. Not only are the various leaves in sublime proportion, the process and subtle casing are different enough to be a revelation. It stayed calmly lit and rather than proclaim this or that metaphoric taste evolving to the fore, the flavors and aroma, from my memory, were rather consistent, from top to finish. If the Smyrna leaf used then was better than now, (which is possible, not probable) then why does this have to be so with 2015 scientific tools?

Pipe Used: Charatan small, Connoisseur medium bowl

Age When Smoked: Tinned less than 1 year before use

Purchased From: Augies (1975-1982) Amherst Ma.

Similar Blends: So near yet still far enough from today's noble attempts..

swaviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swaviator (3)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I hope that someone reading this post will have a tin of Smyrna they want to send my way. I've tried so many Latakia blends, but nothing, but nothing matches John Cotton's Smyrna. Does anyone know of a comparable blend? Or someone who knows the recipe and can blend it properly? If so let me know...I'm desperate for that fine smoke.

ELROD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

John Cotton's Smyrna, the discontinued version described on the rectangular tin as "A blend of Smyrna and other fine tobaccos", is my all-time favorite blend, period. I used to smoke it regularly mostly for its beguiling aroma. And now there is a new version of John Cotton's Smyrna. I think it is a good blend (love the shaggy cut) but lacking in the aroma of the legendary version. I would describe it as a weaker version of the current Balkan Sobranie. My rating is for the new version.

Pipe Used: Various bent pipes

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A friend sent me a couple of bowls of this famous blend and I sure thank him! I had been wanting to try this legendary discontinued blend for years and it was indeed a little slice of heaven. The age had toned down the Latakia to the point where it was running neck and neck with the Virginia and Oriental leaf. As smooth and flavorful as any blend on the market today, enhanced by an old world flavor that only decades old tobacco can present.

If you ever have an opportunity to try Cotton's Smyrna, do not let the opportunity pass you by.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)

I could only wish to smoke this old blend on a regular basis. Sadly, my recommendation and review come from memory and the one old tin I had stashed away that I recently discovered. Smyrna was one of those blends that I kick myself for not have bought in large quantities when it was around. Since I don't know what tobaccos comprised this blend, I will only say that if you dig orientals and you ever come across an old tin of this blend, buy it and savor every moment smoking it. It will never come again.