Rich, smoky Cyprian latakia and a variety of wonderful Oriental tobaccos set the stage for the blend. Lemon and red Virginias provide support, while adding a hint of sweetness. Finally, just a touch of air cured leaf is added for body. Caravan is full and exotic; rich and spicy. A classic Balkan style blend with our own special touch.

Notes: From Gregory Pease website: "Caravan was a long time in the making, and I'm really excited about it. For years, I've wanted to produce a nice, medium Balkan style blend with lots of wonderful Orientals, rich with latakia, and just enough Virginia to give everything else something to hang on to. After a lot of almost right prototypes, I found the missing piece to the puzzle in some magnificent Oriental leaf that had been right under my nose all along. After a little tuning, Caravan was born. A lovely spice up front mingles with all those delightfully exotic Oriental flavors. The smoke/leathery notes of Cyprian latakia weave their way through the smoke assertively, but never in an overbearing manner. A zesty, but delicate sweetness punctuates the statements made by the rest of the tobaccos. The finish is lingering, but won't overstay its welcome. Caravan is full and exotic; rich and spicy. A classic Balkan style blend with our own special touch." - Caravan was introduced in May, 2001.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste

3.2
quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 5/12/09

Appearance: Hate to sound like a broken record but…GLP has this distinctive cut that's little wider and stiffer than a typical ribbon. In my opinion, it works great, because I tend to pack fine ribbons too tightly. These dry-ish flakes pack nicely and help to maintain good airflow, contributing to a more even burn. It's kind of rough, with some big chunks and stiff bits in there.

Aroma: The predominant aroma is the sour-ish note of the Orientals, that same essence found upon cracking a tin of Squadron Leader. The Latakia is obvious but not in the lead and by no means overwhelming. The dried grass-hay aroma from the Virginias lurks secretly in the background. Very nice.

Pipe 1: Peterson dublin Pipe 2: Nording Signature freehand Pipe 3: Danske Club volcano Pipe 4: Big Savinelli Canadian

Flavor: This is a delicious blend. The Orientals are definitely in the lead, with the smoky Latakia and everything else combined coming in second. Caravan is altogether as “complex” as Blackpoint, with the Orientals, Latakia and Virginias all adding to the mélange. The level of strength stays surprisingly consistent throughout the bowl even as the flavors continuously swirl and mix–the smokiness, toastiness, tang and sweetness.

At first light the Latakia seems dominant, but I think Greg is pulling a fast one on us here. The TR website description includes this statement: “Finally, just a touch of air cured leaf is added for body.” It seems to me that the air cured leaf and the Orientals conspire together to make this blend seem more Latakia heavy than it really is. There is some definite smokiness there, but from the visual appearance, there doesn't seem to be much of the black leaf in this blend. If you think about what you're tasting, I think you just might agree that other things are adding to the perception of the typical campfire smokiness that Latakia provides.

There is a very nice herbal-medicinal quality to these Orientals. I wish Mr. Pease would tell us more detail about exactly which of these leaves he's using because I am not yet expert on picking out the various species of Oriental leaves in a blend. But I really like these in Caravan, which leave a very long-lasting and distinctive aftertaste.

The Virginias really are there just for structure, although I am assuming that they are the source of the mild lingering sweetness. This blend is very forgiving of puffing cadence. The intensity of the flavors can change with big changes of temperature but it is always a delicious experience.

I have mentioned before that I sometimes have a mild reaction against Orientals tobaccos, and this one will give me a sharp little tingle in my mouth if puffed aggressively. This is not tongue bite, it's different. But that reaction is very mild in Caravan, and virtually non-existent in certain pipes. Certainly not something that will prevent me from keeping a few tins around. If we define a Balkan as a tobacco blend with predominantly “Balkan” or Mediterranean leaf, then this one certainly qualifies. This is not a Lat bomb, so if you've been averse to Greg's big Lat mixtures, you may very well appreciate Caravan. But it is an Oriental bomb. I find it a good competitor to Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture, a couple of my favorites.

Four stars for excellent execution and perfect balance. If you're one to really think about what you're tasting in a high-quality interesting blend, this one will entertain you for hours. Maybe years.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)

You will have to bear with me as I am working from current notes and impressions, as well as notes that go back over a decade to when this blend was originally released. I have been smoking this blend on-and-off for a number of years. I live in Florida and these heavier Latakia blends just do not do well for me in the subtropical heat and humidity, so I smoke them for only about 3-4 months in the cooler months of the year. This is true for almost all things Latakia.

In my opinion this is one of the absolute best Balkan blends on the market today. I am convinced that many of the tobacco blends in the Pease "Original Series" represent some of his BEST efforts as a blender. (I even lament, to varying degrees, the loss of Raven's Wing and Renaissance.)

Typically I enjoy light-to-medium-bodied English and Balkan blends (when the climate permits), but I consider Caravan to be a little more full-bodied than my standard tastes would allow. Latakia is the dominant theme with the Orientals in strong counterpoint and the Virginias providing support. It is an exceedingly well-balanced blend with a medley of provocative, complex and exotic flavor layers. Please excuse the crude comparison, but it's much like a certain movement in Berlioz Symphony #3 where the bass instruments have the theme or melody, the middle instruments are in complementary support and the treble instruments have the harmony. This is an exceedingly refined blend that is not quite a favorite, but highly recommended nonetheless!!

Pipe Used: Stanwell UNIQUE/Karl Erik Calabash/Meerschaums

Purchased From: Multiple sources

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The look of this upon cracking the tin (dated Aug 2011) belies its C&D production, with what appears to be shards of tobacco in a quasi-ribbon cut. Tin aroma as delectable as any latakia blend I've ever snooted. Latakia upfront and as the sniff continues, an underlying oriental mustiness.

The taste follows suit - latakia up front followed by darker oriental flavors. Sometimes the oriental takes center stage. I realize that there must be some sort of foundation with this blend but I can't discern the virginias. I would have guessed a light burley base, but I'd be wrong! I enjoy the smoky complexity, but a little more sweetness would be very welcome. Just as I was about to guiltily pronounce myself a hopeless GLP fanboy, along comes Caravan (or, along comes me, as this one has been out awhile!) and makes me yearn for my favorites. There's nothing wrong with this one in particular; in fact, it's quite good. Perhaps my expectations are more at fault here, but I just don't taste what this one brings to the party. If this were a later GLP offering, I'd wonder if Mr Pease had run out of magic. It's good but it just doesn't seem... Peasian, somehow. But it's probably me. Granted, I could more easily recommended a dozen other Pease latakia blends, but give this one a try if you enjoy a killer room note and a plethora of middle-eastern leaf.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)

I really like the smell of Caravan in the tin and I used to somewhat enjoy Caravan when a first became a pipe smoker a couple of years ago. But as I experienced different tobaccos, my interest in Caravan waned. I decided to revisit it this week and my interest is no longer there. At first light I get a sweet smokiness, but the smoke turns “dirty.” The level of spice was too much for my taste too. Unfortunately, Caravan is no longer a favorite of mine.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was like a boxing match with Latakia in one corner and Oriental in the other. By the time it was over I called it a draw. Great competing flavors. I see several 8 oz tins in my future. An outstanding blend.

This tobacco was a big hit with most of the puffers at my most recent pipe club meeting (10/29/02). While some folks think you must smoke a whole tin before being able to fairly evaluate a blend, I believe one bowl in a clean pipe is all it really takes. I had just a couple of bowls and was suitably impressed although not blown away as I have been with some of Greg's other fine offerings.

Caravan is subtle in its delivery. The Latakia, Orientals and Virginia combination certainly made for a palatable enough Balkan experience to satisfy.

Caravan is on the lighter side of heavy -- if that makes any sense, and was certainly never harsh or biting. It just didn't pack enough strength to deliver a knockout punch for this country boy.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Updated 1/11/15 This blend has really grown on me over the past month and has improved with a little breathing and now doesn't seem to turn as "dirty". I find myself reaching for this blend from early morning to late evening or whenever I need an easy smoke with a little "N' kick. No one tobacco jumps out, but rather, you get a creamy "Goldilocks" smoke where everything is just right.

Greg has a special way of using Latakia as a condiment rather than as a sledge hammer in this one. This allows the Virginia sweetness and some Orientals to play in a well balanced Balkan. The description says "Zesty" but I find this more base notes

I kept trying to determine what blend this reminds me of, as its strength kept saying, "this must be from the Kentucky/ burley", but the lack of heat and it's creamy sweetness said it only has a touch of Burley. I've decided on a stronger "Chelsea Morning" with more base notes and less higher fruity notes or Charring Cross with only about a 1/3 of the latakia. This fills a giant hole in my rotation for those " I don't know what I want moments". Revised to 4 stars

Original review Fresh tin- First let me say that I like this blend , with a few reservations. It reminds me of some of GL Pease's other blends or should I say they remind me of this. All good but I'm starting to lose the subtle differences. In a blind taste test , I think I could put this blend , Gaslight, Charing Cross, and Lagonda in a pipe and not be able to identify which is which.

Because this has a Burley component , this might stand out except against " Gaslight" that I feel has Burley hidden in its background also. Since I'm not a burley fan, this blend would be my least favorite. Is this bad ? No , just not for me when I can get the same flavors from the other blends mentioned, without the Burley/ Kentucky. ( I agree with reviewer "SeoulSister 2014-02-16" that this blend turns "dirty" . I believe from the Burley) By my rating system, I would only give this a 2 star rating but I'm rating this 3 star just because I think most smokers would find this one tasty.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin & 1 month

Similar Blends: Stronger Chelsea Morning, Charring Cross with 1/3 the Latakia.

The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woodsy with a touch of sweetness, openly competing with the dry wood and spice from the Orientals. Everything else here are supporting players. The burley is slightly nutty and earthy with a hint of toast, and no real sweet spots. The tart citrus from the lemon Virginia is barely noticeable. The red Virginia is a little more obvious, offering a mild tangy, earthy fruit and earth note. Without it acting as a base with its inherent properties, this would be a completely dry smoke. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite or get harsh. It does burn slow, cool and fairly dry until the finish, where a little bitterness occurs, and the tobacco hardens a mite, losing what sweetness it had. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The after taste is muddled. It's more of a two and half star product, but in comparison to others in this genre, it doesn't quite reach the three star mark, so I have to rate it at two stars, despite the high quality of tobaccos used in its manufacture.

I always try to review tins that are within the year of purchase, but in this case the two tins that this review is based on are at least five years old so take it for what it's worth. The blend description is dead on. Caravan is a medium English/Balkan with a sizable dose of Orientals and some underlying sweetness. What I love most about Caravan is how well balanced it is. Every tobacco plays a noted role and no one tobacco steals the show. The flavors intermingle beautifully. It may be just my over-smoked tongue, but I do find it to leave “dryness” in my mouth. Medium, complex, smoky, and a little sweet, all winners in my book! Highly Recommended.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I hate to be guilty of assigning so many 4 star ratings lately, but at the same time that means I have been cracking some wonderful tins of tobacco. This is no doubt one of the finer blends available today.

The tobacco is presented in a loose cut, very nice to pack and light.

The tin aroma is smoky and sweet.

Moisture is perfect for me. On the dry side.

This tobacco makes a statement as soon as the fire touches it. Spicy and the slightest bit sweet. The orientals are the main focus with the latakia being absolutley noticeable but playing a supporting role to the orientals. The va's provide a solid base and keep it a little on the sweet side, but just a little. It is by no means a "sweet" blend.

This just makes you sit and think about the world around you. A truly strong but refined blend.

Burns dry and cool all the way.

The nicotine is there for sure and makes it's presence well known in a smooth persistent manner. Not a rush but a nice hit of it indeed. In this category I find it about 70% of the way to the top of the power scale.

I like this when I want less latakia and power than abingdon offers which is becoming more often and this hits the midrange flavors harder and is a good blend to keep in rotation.

Wonderful tobacco, well thought out. Highly reccomended if you like spicy orientals. If you like this try Kensington or Ashbury, They're lighter and have more latakia but are somewhat simillar blends.

Update: I have simply found my all time favorite blend in caravan. I love this and am going to be cellaring quite a bit. I love the spiceness. The blend is perfectly balanced. I smoke it anytime out of any size pipe and always end up satisfied. This one deserves the highest rating ever from me. This is the best of the best. I have a 3+ year old tin I found at my local shop- I'm saving that for a very special occasion.

This blend is honestly so good I had to go through my reviews and make quite a few demotions of other blends I had found good in the past. This one slays them all.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Okay, this is good stuff. I mean really good. It's like the heroin of pipe tobacco it's so good. I bought a can that had already been on the store shelf a year, and I really had expected it to be good. But this stuff had me doing the Homer Simpson drool. "Hmmm, goooood. Arghaga (drooling noises)."

I won't say what pipe I used to smoke it, as that would make me sound like a pretentious %^*(#. The Latakia came through real strong right off the bat. I like that. And immediately noticable once I got the pipe going was the sweet and spicy of the Virginias and Orientals. I grew up in rural eastern Kansas, where the fall brought with it the sweet and spicy smell of leaves burning and dry hay being put out for cattle; smells so full you could taste them. This smoke brought all those rustic flavors back. The really weird thing is that I could easily single out every flavor, each being very distinct without overpowering the others. And, this stuff lit easy, and smoked cool all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

In the future, I may find tobacco blends that are as good. But, this one just takes me back to so many happy memories with its taste and aroma. I do believe it is a keeper.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I wrote the following review after purchasing my first tin of this tobacco. I now realize that the tobacco in the tin marked "Caravan" was not in fact Caravan and that it had been mislabled. I believe what I was smoking was in fact the Cumberland blend, but I am not positive.

I purchased this tobacco both on the strength of its ratings here on these pages, and because it is blended here in the sunny East Bay area, and I like to support local businesses. I find the packaging attractive and novel and have no problem with the shape of the cans, which remind me of the containers of snuff that were popular in Minnesota when I lived there and were on display at seemingly every grocer and drugstore.

Upon pulling back the foil ringtop(!) I'm greeted with lovely hues of yellow red and dark brown. The can aroma calls to mind trips to rural cider mills in my native Western NY State, although I'm not sure why, there is a leafy, very sweet, almost apple like aroma to it. There is no indication of Latakia whatsoever in this particular can, which I find mystifying considering the previous reviews. Perhaps the blend varies somewhat from can to can? I can identify russet and lemon virginias and not much else, although this is probably because I am not adept at tobacco identification on sight.

The tobacco packs nicely into my $29 straight Amadeus billiard, slightly long strands tamp right down.

The charring light produces nice puffs of white smoke, sweet and with many of the same notes as the can aroma, but with a bracing spiciness. Nicotine content seems on the medium to stout side. I am very happy at this point sitting in my thrift store chair listening to children play in the playground across the street.

Halfway through this pipe a bracing bitter note creeps into the smoke, its a pleasant bitter though, like maybe the impossible to find Moxie soda, bitter and sweet. The nicotine content is mellow and relaxing. There is a little gurgle here and I have to run a cleaner through the pipe to soak it up.

Towards the bottom of the pipe it starts to smoke a little hot, producing the only unpleasant moment of this pipe, a brief ammonia taste that disappears quickly. I can taste just a hint of latakia, but no smoky smell like English blends. It smokes down to grey ash.

All in all, this is a subtle experience indeed, I'll return to this one again and again, especially in midday smokes.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

First and foremost, not to make any points mind you,but I would like to congradulate Mr. Pease on a well blended mixture. This is the second GLP blend that I have tried, the first, well, while good, was mostly a Virginia blend, and they, Virginia's, have their place. Not to compare this to other Balkan blend's, which we all do, I have been mostly an English advocate. This blend was ordered from a, no plugs, internet web merchant. Anticipation started to consume me, while in wait, based on Mr. Pease's reputation as a purveyor of fine tobaccos. Unfortunatly, there was no fan fair when the expected package arrived, nothing but a box, with a few tins snugly confined in a bed of styrofoam peanuts. That is when it happened. Temptation abound, I thrusted myself into my favorite chair and proceeded to open the tin that had beckoned me with it's call for release, from the prison which it had been placed. The thumb ring was pulled, and, all of my attentions were placed upon the contents. This being done, my olfactory membranes immersed themselves into the current conundrum. Contemplation of a respite was quickly thwarted by the urge to touch, which I did, while I started to remove the contents from their former contraints. The tobacco inside had the most bright yellow Virginia strands intertwined with the dark ominpresent Cyprian Latakia, and a cornucopia of Oriental variants. Two of my senses had been awakened, was there time for a third? These seemingly, intrinsic tobacco's had but one test, and that was fire. Tobacco was placed in the bowl of sandblasted Loewe Falkland, in the preferred method, and a match was stuck and placed on the filled bowl. Initial reflection was of the Orientals, followed by Latakia, and susequently, the Virginian contingent. Bellowing clouds of professed taste engulfed my room with the aroma of old ideals, now gone. This I thought, is an interestingly tasteful tobacco, one which may have a percentage of the order of brier brothers wanting to make a proclamation, to bestowe upon this blend the title of Burgher of Balkan blends! Palate stimulation had been reserved for finer English blend's but that too had passed, and with the arrival of this blend I had to capitulate. Caravan will engulf the senses, stimulate the palate, invigorate the soul. Smooth, creamy, smokey, in that leather chair vision, this tobacco burns well, not wet, not dry, but just right. The discovery of a small amount of dottle did surprise me, though, so I placed the blame on the pipe, for not being in harmony with the tobacco, and the matter was closed. In conclusion, my experience with this tobacco may be unique in that I have been waiting for a Balkan blend to arrive, and this one seems to be in the front of the group. Three cheers, once again to Greg Pease for an outstanding tobacco. We can only hope this will be around for a good while! Update 11/02 this tobacco while great in it's processing just hasn't done it for me. I have switched to Rennaissance primarily because of the air cured leaf in Caravan, while still a great tobacco blend, the log term result for me hasn't been memorable.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Caravan is a well-balanced, easy smoking blend that may or may not fit preconceived notions about "Balkans". For openers, the tin note immediately declares aged Burly over Oriental, with soft and mild Latakia, and civilized VA in the background. Let's suppose for a minute that the cocoa smell comes from the Burly.

The moist ribbons from a year-old tin loaded, lit and burned well with one poke and subsequent tapping. The Burly (and the cocoa) came up for a feeling like hot chocolate for the first third of the bowl, making for a warm, fuzzy experience that does not say "Balkan" to me, but it does please and comfort me, and likely any bystanders, as well, almost aromatic in this way.

For the rest of the pipe, the Orientals and Virginias team up and take over, with the VA contributing sugar and some sharpness (not much), and the Lat remaining present but definitely in a supporting role. Although the smoke and the taste are rich for the whole smoke, it never gets hot or heavy handed. The aftertaste is a very nice balance of all components, and it lingers pleasantly.

I find Caravan to be a thoroughly satisfying smoke. Though it only rates a 3 on my "Balkan" scale, I have to give it a 3.7 on its own merit and a 4 in terms of a recommendation.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very rich smoke full of Latakia and orientals. The tobacco is a bit on the dry side but burned well. The aroma is a heavy English. Reminds me of Balkan Sasieni. Smoked this after having a few blends around that were light on latakia and enjjoyed the full latakia smoke of Caravan thoroughly. Exotic is a good description of this blend which presents more than just a latakia blend but combined with the orientals and blend of Virginas make this blend. I also detect a nice sweetness. Will be a regular in my cellar. This tobacco can age well and think it will be one that will come out when a special latakia blend is necessary.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite Balkan blends. This is a very well-balanced concoction. It has a touch of sweetness that sets it apart from other Balkans that I have sampled. Not sure if this comes from the Virginias or the Orientals, but I like it.

Some Pease Balkans and English blends ofter are a chore to keep lit. This one is not. The tin I sampled was two years old and just worked perfectly with a 2002 Savinelli POY.

Pease blends are always presented well and this one is no exception. Moisture content was just about right on. I like tobaccos just a wee bit on the dry side and this did not require much airing out.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (18)

I find this blend lacking to some other GLP balkans. I got this one looking for a mornig tobacco in the best English tradition; sweet VA's, smooth Orientals and a light tinge of Latakia.

Somehow I was expecting some big oriental content and when I opened the tin, sure the delicate aroma of fine orientals was there; sour-sweet, slightly leathery and with a woodsy overtone. The tin aroma is completely deceptive tho.

On the plus side, I must say that packs easily, lights well and keeps lit even when smoked at a quite slow pace. It's also one of the gentlest blends on the tongue that I've smoked and fills the palate with flavor.

My gripe with it ist that it's basically monodimensional. There'snone of the complexity you generally associate with a good balkan. Boring is the word that defines it for me. Nothing like Charing Cross or Odyssey. You keep expecting something else as the bowl goes down and it's just not there.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Typical GLP cut, short ribbons of varying widths. Colors range from orange through black.

Aroma: Heavy English aroma, Virginia dominated by Oriental and Latakia.

Packing: Packs easily into medium and large bowls. Probably will pack into a small bowl, but I prefer this type of blend in a larger pipe.

Lighting: Lights readily and without problem. Initial flavor: Very big hit from the Latakia and Oriental. The flavor is very smoky and spicy with a trace of leathery bitterness; Virginias just starting to appear in the mix.

Mid-bowl: The Virginias are coming on with some authority here. There is some definite sweetness coming through the Oriental/Latakia combo. A nice balance, one I might categorize as much English as Balkan. Smooth and cool unless puffed aggressively, no gurgle.

Finish: Burns down to a nice clean ash, with little increase in strength

Summary: A very well behaved medium to full blend, excellent for later in the day or evening. Not an eye opener for me, but a blend for relaxation time.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)

So this is a balkan? I have faith Greg knows his definitions, so I'm resetting mine to include this. Otherwise, I'd have classified this as an English blend. If you have never tried a balkan, this is a good starting point; it is mild, semi-sweet and not at all harsh after only 8 months in the tin. This reminds me of Dunhill's EMP of long ago. The orientals are wonderful; I believe they are also found in Cairo. Is there a tobacco that smells better burning than oriental? I think not.

Caravan has chosen a medium-bowled Pete as its venue, somewhat loosely packed (the cut is perfect for this). Puff slowly... very slowly, not to avoid bite, but the flavors and aromas are enhanced. Clean and steady burning without drying or fiddling.

Yeah. After a couple unfortunate run-ins with harsh green Pease balkans, I really like this.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A great Balkan, without the harsher notes of the lastest incarnations of Balkan Sobranie's Original Smoking Mixture. Extremely tasty, which is a surprise considering the light colour of the mixture: very few dark brown and black pieces, which would lead me to think of a low Latakia percentage. In fact, Greg describes it as his most oriental dominated blend, in contrast to Odyssey, which is a Balkan with a greater emphasis on Latakia. Caravan may be too strong, tasty and full for all-time consumption, but it is great nonetheless: all my DUnhill pipes smoke like a dream with it, cool, tasty and delightful. All this in spite of the rather fine cut, similar to Renaissance's. Probably my favorite of all the GLPease Latakia blend so far toghether with Blackpoint, with which it shares many similarities anyway (so take a look at my other reviews, if you wish): it is lighter but tastier than Odyssey!

eon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eon (11)

I am afraid I am having to disagree with the more favorable reviews of this blend by Mr Pease. To my palate, Caravan remains harsh to the point of being unsmokeable. I have tried many a different bowl and day but the negative traits of this mixture remain essentially the same. The flavour is harsh - perhaps the right metaphor is shrill - and the overall experience rather unpleasant. I hope to find better offerings among Mr Pease's impressive line up. This Caravan, I let pass.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Definitions abound for different blend types. GLP calls this a Balkan, and the ample use of Oriental leaf here makes that a reasonable call. For mine, the generous presence of white Burley in this blend puts it into American English territory.

This is a short, wide ribbon cut that comes with optimal dryness straight from the tin. It packs and burns a treat. Both visually and on the nose it is obvious that Latakia is a condimental player in this mixture.

The Orientals lead the way. They are spicy, sour and musty. This is underpinned by a restrained sweetness that I assume comes from the various Virginias that have been added. The Burley gives this tobacco significant heft, which fills the gap left by the relative spareness of Latakia.

This is an interesting tobacco. It certainly showcases the Oriental leaf in a way that justifies GLP's intention. It is however stronger than I prefer for an English or similar type mixture. I have no doubt this fills a gap for lovers of stronger tobaccos who prefer the Latakia turned down as well. On that basis I would honestly give this a 'somewhat recommended' rating, but that seems churlish when this is a very well constructed tobacco that fills a very specific niche. So three stars.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)

Am enjoying a tin from Feb. 2007 (thanks, Pipestud), so it was laid over 8.5 years ago. Thus I cannot comment on a fresh tin. My goodness, the tin yielded up a sweet and sour must that I instantly knew was going to be good. And it is. These Balkans, like so many others, become so refined with a long nap.

There is a light natural sweetness but not overmuch, since the VA is well in the background. I would love more VA but--it IS a Balkan. The Lat is front and center but very distinguished and soft from the years, and the Turkish pokes its head up now and again. The blend has melded so well that it simply is faultless. It is not a nic hit, but on the high end of mild-to-medium. Supposedly ribbon, my tin has a lot of broken flake in it, some of which are pretty tough, so I just spend a little more time rubbing it out.

The aroma is sweeter than the smoke and is wife-approved. (And she don't approve much.) You might not like every Greg Pease blend but he's never made a bad one. And this one sings. It really ghosts a pipe, though. You want a pipe dedicated to this blend or to similar blends.

Pipe Used: Englander briar (for Balkans)

Age When Smoked: 8.5 years

Purchased From: Pipestud

Similar Blends: McClelland Arcadia (221b), Balkan Sobranie Original.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Caravan is Greg Pease's attempt at a full, Balkan-style of tobacco. It's delightful in appearance; cut ribbons of golds and browns with black mottling the overall appearance. The moisture level is, as with most Pease blends, just about ideal. The tin/pouch aroma of the blend is deceptive; at times it seems monochromatic, but the more you smeel it the more layering and richness detected. The charring light comes through as complex, with the latakia riding highest. Early into the bowl the taste is leathery smoky with a gentle sweetness over a nice, nuttiness. There are spicy overtones which are very pleasant, and a kind of almost lemony bite. Mid-bowl the lemony bite remains on top of a smooth, smoky and pleasant, full taste. The Orientals assert themselves well, adding a wonderfully musty, leathery tang. The sweetness of the Virginias perfectly compensate for the other flavors, making the smoke at this point seem a bit nuttier, though less spicy. The overall effect at this point is slightly gentler than earlier or later in the bowl. Deeper into the bowl the spicy overtones return again. The smoke now has wonderful body, and is both full and complex. The Virginia sweetness takes a back seat to the hickory-esque flavor of the latakia and the strong, spicy mustiness of the Orientals. Caravan is, as a Balkan blend, a real success. Deep and complex, layered and mysterious. Smokers who prefer Balkans to English or Scottish blends will find it to be a real pleaser, a blend they can't get enough of. English smokers will also take to the blend though, with its delightful use of quality latakia. Though not a good beginning blend for those used to Virginias, Virginia smokers looking for a fuller, more complex smoke should also be quite pleased. Caravan is another testament to the blending skills of Greg Pease.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

No wonder, another GLPease hit in the English/Balkan department. This one is a complex mixture of Virginias, Orientals, Latakia and Burley (a bit more than just a touch, but perfect for my taste).

Second to Blackpoint in sweetness, second to Samarra in a lowest to highest rank of Latakia content and second to none in quality.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

overwelming salty oriental-blend. Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....just flee from Pease!!!!

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

After a number of disappointing experiences with Pease blends, (due to a personal chemistry problem, not a blend dislike!), I have discovered a blend that not only can I tolerate, but one that makes my taste buds leap for joy.

Visual: An overall greenish tint to the tobacco gave me some concern at pre-light. A dull mixture of tobaccos of every color and an excessive amount of "dust" in the blend.

Texture: A bit dry to the touch, but plenty springy. This is a good sign in my opinion.

Pack/Pipe: Gravity fed with a medium firm tamp three times to keep the burn from getting out of control. Although I tend to prefer small to medium size pipes, this blend seemed to shine when I used taller/higher capacity bowls. I kept returning to a Ferndown Bark chimney, an Israeli Alpha Galaxy full bent and a Dunhill Redbark pot.

Lighting/Burn: One match to char, and often that was all that was needed. This stuff lights like fatwood! Very seldom did I need another match to get to the bottom. Burned quickly, but not as fast as I expected considering the moisture content and the large quantity of tobacco dust in the blend.

1st 3rd: That great Latakia aroma and a no kidding around tongue spanking (the good kind!) are what I get from the first few puffs. Burns through this first third quickly and leaves a pile of white/gray fluffy ash. The kind you just love to have for that first tamp.

2nd 3rd: More of the same. Nice Latakia taste, a bit nutty and good quantities of smoke. This level burns through relatively quickly as well. Sometimes I needed a pipe cleaner here to wick away a bit of moisture. More great ash.

Final 3rd: Occasionally I picked up a mineral taste and a bit of saltiness here. It may have been my smoking tempo to blame. Usually smoked to the bottom leaving just a few charred flakes and plenty of grainy gray ash.

Notes: I like this tobacco for its excellent taste, good burn quality, and the fact that I no longer have to explain my dislike of Pease blends. I have a number of tins of every Pease blend stocked away. I am looking forward to some of the other English blends that I have not yet tried.

Stogie rating of: 8 Pristine Punch

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a remarkable Balkan blend. While the cyprian Latakia is there to play it is not pompously overbearing but rather playful and well-rounded, accenting nicely the splendid Orientals and the lemon and mild red Virginis in this present in this mixture. Burning characteristics are excellent. For me it was quite easy to burn down to Ash in Bowl after Bowl. Like many Balkan Blends, the Latakis is always just a puff away. Unlike many Balkans, the playful sweetness and tanginess offered by the other components make this a sublime delight for the experienced smoker. I highly recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Briarworks poker

Purchased From: Indian River Tobacco Grand Rapids MI

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I got this in a trade with a friend who didn't like it.

This has to be the closest an American mixture has come, in my opinion, to the quality of a JF Germain blend. So much so that I frankly am reconsidering ordering Germain from overseas (which I was considering doing shortly).

The cut is a fine ribbon, like Germain. It's a great Oriental-forward medium Latakia mixture.

Perhaps the Burley is contributing something by way of the nutty floral quality, in cooperation with the Oriental. Reminiscent of Squadron Leader, too.

Easily my new favorite. But of course you have to enjoy medium English blends. This is not a "bomb" or an extreme anything, except a very high-quality balanced medium English.

Congratulations, really.

Pipe Used: billiards and quarter-bents

Age When Smoked: fresh?

Purchased From: trade from a friend

Similar Blends: JF Germain medium English mixtures.

G. L. Pease - Caravan.

I hate it when the ring pull snaps off. And the insult to injury was I couldn't find the tin opener!

It's a well rubbed ribbon, with no twigs or big leaves. The moisture's perfect.

I find the Virginia gives the least flavour of the four. The Latakia, Oriental, and Burley do the most work; the Latakia and Orientals more so, until they all become even for the last quarter. The Lat' and Orientals give a whack of fragrant wood and smoke, with a tiny amount of creaminess. It tastes this way right up to the last quarter, when the Burley develops volume: becoming a bit 'rougher' tasting. The burn from Caravan's good, but the smoke tends to bite me a bit.

The nicotine: above medium. The room-note: pleasant to tolerable.

Caravan. Right then, it's a well made blend, but I find it a bit of a bore: somewhat recommended.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Rattray's The Clan.

Age When Smoked: Five months

SunriseBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SunriseBoy (16)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable

What a fantastic product. I read down the list of smokers lauding it praises, saying it is one of the best things they've ever smoked and yet when I lit up I felt like I've been over-dosed with Jalapeno chilies! It tastes like crap. Granted the second bowl was marginally better but it still was an assault on my tongue and palate. It's just the ugliest tasting crap I've ever had in my mouth.

Pipe Used: Freehand cob

Purchased From: Forget

sundruid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sundruid (3)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Don't know if I'll ever get a taste for full English or Balkans, mainly because of great blends like this that shows there are other options to the heavy blends! I really enjoy rich blend of spicy and toasty notes to compliment the Latakia smokiness.... Fun to smoke and tastes great.

Pipe Used: Ardor

Purchased From: Davidoff of Geneva, New York, NY

Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (16)

Caravan is a very well-balanced, dry-smoking tobacco. The flavor overall is pleasant, moderately complex, and smoky. It is less rich than many Balkan blends, yet a little more assertive than English blends which are light on the Latakia. With some patience and concentration, Caravan is more satisfying than one might suppose at first. It is also a tobacco whose tin aroma gives a nearly-exact impression of what it produces once lit. It is so nicely balanced that I've never felt the urge to experiment with modifying it in any way.

Pipe Used: meerschaum, Comoy

Age When Smoked: unkown

Purchased From: online

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)

Tin date: 6/10/2001

Yet another wonderful blend in the high altitude of the Pease mountain range. He must be an artist because only he can create that many layers of beauty in so many different ways. Each blend is an individual work of art, even though some I don't really go wild over some as much as others. Maybe I just don't understand them yet. Pick a mood, a nice pipe and GL Pease has got a tobacco for you.

This old, aged tin of Caravan is easy to enjoy. Orientals are the star in the taste department but the body is what stands out. There is something in here in body and strength-wise (like Haddo's) that gives it that full kick that you don't get with standard Oriental forward blends. I might have found something I enjoy as much as Samarra! Caravan is fuller than I envisioned. I wouldn't want this full of a bowl before lunch. It's got full Oriental tang, some sweet notes, body and strength too, so because of that I can't think of a blend to compare it to. I like different. Very, very nice. A solid offering, again.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Really great stuff. I am fast becoming a GLP addict! If it has Burley and Orientals in it, it gets a look in from me and this is a winner in my books.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Although my tin was only 6 months old, Caravan smoked like a much more mature blend, with all of the flavors solidly working together to deliver a very smooth and creamy Balkan. I love Balkans, and I tend to love Pease blends. This one delivers.

For me, a great Balkan has a quiet foundation of great-tasting Virginias that almost never come to the forefront, letting the latakia and orientals take turns in the spotlight. And when the latakia and orientals really hit together, you get what I call "creaminess."

Caravan doesn't always hit that "great" note for me, but it gets there more often than not. It shines its brightest when it's in a clean pipe that's already been broken in with previous bowls of the blend. It also seemed to achieve greatness when smoked in a larger-bowled pipe (a Group 5 rather than a Group 4).

Caravan is a wonderful Balkan that has found a permanent place in my rotation and in my cellar.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

I am a big fan of Pease's other Balkan, Charing Cross, so I came to Caravan with high hopes, I found it dark and smoky, with a musk/leather undertone. I had expected a stronger version of Charing Cross with a deeper taste. What I got was a rather one dimensional dark Balkan. I prefer the more robust and flavorful C.C., I will finish the tin, in time, but I won't be buying another.

When I want a Balkan, I want multiple bold flavors coming to the front of the blend from the first puff. Caravan is much more subtle, a fine tobacco, but it does not fit my current tastes.

A good Balkan-style blend, I had great expectations on this one but it didn't impress me much. Maybe I didn't step on a lucky tin, but the main impression is that's a very difficult tobacco to keep lit: I've tried many different pipes and moisture conditions, it has all been useless and that spoils the smoking pleasure. In the stints it kept lit, I noticed the usual great quality of the leaf, in particular the Oriental component is prominent, and I like this side. I have another tin seasoning into the cellar, I just hope it will be better.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I had great expectations before smoking this, yet I couldn't enjoy the blend as much as I hoped. I had a terrible time keeping this lit in any size bowl. The taste was somewhat bland for me, and this was in spite of the great smell in the tin. Even after putting this away and coming back to try it months later, I wasn't satisfied. I wouldn't purchase this again.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I found this blend to overwhelm my tongue by its acrid flavor. I don't know what it is about Caravan that did this because I generally love balkans. It gathers too much of this acridity as you smoke it to the bottom of the bowl that I generally have a hard time finishing it. I experimented with different bowl sizes but after two tins of different vintages, I will give this one up.

This is a dependable balkan blend that, although good, just isn't as good as alot of others. I prefer Balkan blends over almost all other types of english, and this just didn't knock my socks off. Don't get me wrong- the overall tobacco experience is far from bad- but give me some penzance or balkan sasieni any day. This is obviously a high quality leaf and makes for a good all day smoke. It has no bite and the smoking characteristics are great. Good for those moments when you don't have the time to focus on your pipe.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

These comments are from a VA flake smoker. My tin was dated 04/29/02. This is a nicely prepared mixture of short, wide ribbon cut tobaccos ranging from golden thru brown to dark black. Moisture content is ideal right from the tin and results in easy packing, lighting and an even burn rate. The taste is uniform thru the bowl and dominated by the Turkish and Latakia. These also contribute to the room aroma that is unacceptable to most of my non-smoking friends and family. My initial trials for a quick smoke in small bowled pipes resulted in condensation, a hot smoke and bitter taste ~ 1/2 way into the smoke. Large bowls and a slower pace cured this totally. However, I missed the natural sweetness of my favorite VAs and again confirmed that English blends are just not my preferred all-day smoke. If you enjoy them, give this blend a try.