Selected Virginian and Maryland type tobaccos carefully blended with a selection of Oriental tobaccos from Greece and Turkey leaf and top grade Latakia. Specially processed to produce a mellow smoke with rich flavour.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
2.4
Brother K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother K (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking Penzance pretty steady for years now and when I returned to my favorite tobacco store (http://www.cigarleaf.com/) one day to pick up a fresh tin, but alas they did not have any. He had ordered it, but it was not sent so he recommended Royal Jersey. Now I was not sure b/c I had tried so many other Latika blends that people have claimed tasted like Penzance but as we all know nothing quite does, but I was very surprised. It is not the same flavor but I do enjoy smoking it as it provides just the right about of nic, smokes cool, and has a wonderful flavor. I have heard many people say that "such and such" tobacco has a creamy taste and was never able (outside of aromatics of course) to taste anything near what people had describes. That is until Royal Jersey. I love the creamy taste and texture this produces. I recommend it to anyone and should for sure not be overlooked by any Latika smoker or fans of the Esoterica tobaccos.

gomerpile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gomerpile (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is a quality tobacco and delightful in the tin. Once it's in the pipe though, it's only okay.

Upon lighting, the intial taste is very light latakia and not much else. As the pipe progresses I taste a light anise or sassafras note, which I suspect comes from the orientals. The most remarkable thing is how 'dry' the flavor is. I don't sense much of the sour apple or cider flavor that other reviewers mention, but I do get a bright sour burning taste on the roof of my mouth which is not all that pleasant. An experience I also have with other blends high in light or lemon virginas. The bite does go away fairly quickly, but why bother, especially for a blend with no disernable virgina sweetness. The surprising thing is how cool and dry it burns for a blend I find a bit nippy. If it were a straight VA that bit like this I'd expect the bowl to be scorching hot, then you'd just have to slow down to keep it in check.

Exhale through your nose, and you're likely to be surprised at just how light and airy this blend is.

Not much nicotine to be found here.

Overall I find that this blend is just too light for me, and would only recommend it to someone looking for the lightest english blend possible.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

This is similar to the King Charles blend and the 1820, though more tart and appealing. Typical of all Germains, the dressing gives the manufacturer away. This is a nice stringy cut of VA/MD & Orientals that packs well. I?m not sure if I ever tried Maryland tobacco before, so perhaps that?s what gives this its unique texture and flavor. It?s similar in style to ?And So to Bed,? though a lot more interesting and not as licorice tasting. The base taste is reminiscent of sour apple or cider. I wouldn?t associate that sort of flavor with tobacco, but it seems to work well here. It?s also briny and chewy, like an Ardbeg or Bowmore malt from Islay. As McClelland is woodsy like BBQ, Dunhill is smokey and IRC Three Star is characteristically licorice, RJ has that unmistakable note that?s Germain?s alone. If one can imagine the rugged landscapes, lonely moors and windswept dales of the Channel Islands, Royal Jersey is all those things in both tin and pipe. An unusual blend worthy of attention and one that I will turn to from time to time.

Three and a half of five stars

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Outstanding stuff! This is a wonderful tobacco in the vein of Esoterica's "And So To Bed".I have a request for future reviewers.If you don't like Germain Products - Please don't slam them. All Germain has that anise type flavoring added to it.Their treatment of the Orientals really brings out a unique flavor. You either like it or you don't.Enough said.This is a very unique tobacco. It is a full English with a wonderful Oriental component in it.Upon opening the tin you will be greeted by the wonderful smell of Orientals!I think it might have a very natural apple casing added to it.It has a very herbal smell to it.Upon 1st light you are met with a lovely, sweet,and intoxicating flavor. This is a very complex blend with Latakia in the forefront.The virginias provide some sweetness, but it is the orientals and latlakia that drive the blend. It burns easily after 2 lights and produces billows of sweet English smoke.It is a great all day companion that never gets hot. A must try for all Germain afficianados! 4of 4 stars!

Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This has to be about the mildest Latakia dominant tobacco I've smoked. Like the above reviewer, I found the taste to be flat and even somewhat bitter. It certainly will not satisfy the cravings of the Latakia lovers of the world. It was also quite moist out of the tin and somewhat difficult to pack even after being dried out for a few hours.

The only other tobacco I can think of that reminds me of this compilation is Peterson's Sherlock Holmes (although the leaf color and cut is much different here.)

I was not in the least bit impressed.

This is a fine, fine Latakia blend. It comes in the typical rect. tin, with the strange mylar bag holding the precious leaf inside. Inside you are greeted by mostly dark, broad ribbon cut leaf. Tin aroma is delicious, very similar to "Margate" which they make for Esoterica, but a little less complex. Moisture is perfect, packing is easy, with three lights max to get going. Flavor is smooth with the latakia in the forefront but nothing in this blend overpowering your taste buds. It seems to taste a little darker than "Margate" but just as delicious. I am surprised this has not gotten more reviews since it is sooo delicious. It builds strength nicely down the bowl with a nice, rich finish that is not off-putting and has you thinking of another bowl. Rating: 5 out of 5 points. Don't just sit there! Go out and get a few tins and enjoy!!! Update: 11-14-2003 After smoking a few more tins of this tobac, I must say that it is definitely underated. This tobac is very delicious. The tin aroma reminds me of the complexity of a high quality cheese that my grandparents made in their farm. It is smooth enough to smoke all day and the cavendish never is cloying. Try it, you'll like it.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

With the prevalence of quality english mixtures available round the globe, I do not see myself reaching for this one again. I had a tin(a gift) sitting in the closet for some time, seemed a likely canidate for this past week, as it snowed incessantly. I enjoy alot of latakia blends, coupled with orientals, perique, va, et al. I do not like this. It is flaccid to the point of being nearly flavorless. The tin aroma is good-typical english/oriental. One reviewer made mention of the aroma being similar to Margate. I find the only thing the 2 blends have in common is maker. There is nothing here of interest. The strength is completely absent, the orientals are muted and the latakia is bland, completely lacking the shivery richness of so many other blends. I gave the last half tin to a fiend who has never smoked an engish, perhaps he will fare better.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one was very strange. Like Germain's 1820, when I first smelled this one I thought it was cased. This blend has a distinctive apple flavor, both in the tin and in the pipe, however, unlike 1820, the apple character doesn't seem to go away with time. I'm not sure if it's cased or not, but it's certainly bizarre for an oriental/latakia blend.

This blend reminds me of Harrod's English Mixture (green lid). The flavor is sort of burnt apple and black walnut, with some additional spiciness from the orientals, although the Harrod's blend smelled like black walnut in the tin instead of apples. However, this blend definitely had Harrod's oriental throat-coating effect. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the flavor gradually turns more burnt and ashy.

The first part of the bowl was certainly interesting (if different), and would probably appeal more to fans of aromatics than to english fans. A meerschaum might help as well.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

A nice light-to-medium latakia mixture. The latakia is the main actor, with the Virginia peaking through and the orientals hiding in the background. Those who desire super-latakia mixtures would likely dislike this, those who want a bit more latakia than is found in the likes of Squadron Leader, Presbyterian, etc. should give this a go. I prefer the similar but (to me) a bit richer stablemate King Charles Mixture

Pipe Used: various briars and meerschaums

Age When Smoked: 3 months after purchase

Purchased From: Mars

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This was an interesting offering from JF. I thought the tin looked quite regal with its purple label and hoped the tobacco would be equally impressive. Though the tobacco packed and lit well, produced a good cloud of smoke, it unfortunately was not that impressive with regards to taste and aroma. There was something acrid about the taste on my tongue which was quite bothersome and the feeling lingered well after I finished my bowl. I didn't smell anything fruity, but there was something "chemical" about the mixture. There seemed to be some sort of light casing on this weed since it felt a little sticky to me...smelled like a mutated latakia type smell...odd to be sure. I might have gotten a bad tin, but can't be certain. I may have to revisit this blend again someday. Somewhat Recommended.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I see that some prior reviewers are not quite as fond of this fine mixture as I am. Opinions are only subjective. I'll claim no expertise, however I know what I enjoy or not and that's what I'll express here. I find this Original Jersey Mixture to be almost magical. The cover of the tin is purple the color of wisdom and and in legend wizardry and from the moment I opened the tin and viewed, touched the somewhat roughly cut and moist mixture of light and dark tobacco and sniffed the nostril stimulating tin aroma I was draw under it's spell. Soon I was enveloped in the smoke of my pipe, (most recently an old Comay's Pebblegrain in a Liverpool configuration) It's quite a pleasurable purple piping experience. Yes,the Latakia element of it is nothing close to being a riot control quality smoke bomb and yes,the signature perfume of Lakeland we all hear so much about in these reviews subtly but noticeably raises her elegant head. I for one enjoy this blend immensely. The smoke is deliciously unctuous possessing a smooth and wonderful balance of flavors within it's lightly textured medium bodied smoke, complex flavors somewhat herbal, flowery, sweet/sour, a bit tangy. These flavors are carried along in a smokiness that is a bit piney not at all the hickory or heavy campfire smokey essence. There certainly seems to be a seasoning of some sort of light casing or topping. But so what, it tastes wonderful. For my most recent bowl, I paired it with a tea composed of a mixture of black tea, herbal tea and few drops of rose water (a secret recipe) and enjoyed both while listening to a compilation of "West Coast Jazz". Most highly recommended.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This would be a good introduction to English tobaccos as it is quite mild. This however, is its weakness as it is too mild for me. This is otherwise a nice tobacco for an all day smoke.

soli Deo gloria

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice light latakia that burns to a clean ash. Smokes great in any size bowl and has a subtle sweetness. Let it air out a few days and it will lose some moisture smokes very well right from the 1st match.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know about this one.

Try King Charles, it is much better than this one.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend seemed to have some sort of strange topping and left a very chemical-like taste in my mouth. I found this to be quite an unpleasant ecxperience. This topping flavor made it impossible for me to enjoy the tin, I could barely discern the smokiness from the latakia...this one was a loser to me.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm glad to discover I wasn't the only one to notice the sour apple undertones in this very strange blend.

This was one of the few blends I tried that the more I smoked it, the less I liked it: what started off as an ok english gradually morphed into something grotesque as those sour apple undertones started to appear. Then, once its presence was known, I couldn't get past it. It was like discovering the milk in your coffee was bad after having already finished half the cup.

It's not that the quality was poor (or even mediocre), but those cider undertones gone bad really put me off. I finally had to give the tin away.

I can easily conceive that some could develop a taste for this blend. Some people like the taste of durian. Good for them. But I can't, in good conscience, recommend this to the average pipe smoker.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a not-particularly-bad typical Latakia mixture. I had a bit of trouble with the overall tobacco flavor, because there's more Virginia and Maryland than I would usually like, so that it makes it taste like what I call the 'typical ashtray flavor' of a cheaper cigarette. But the oriental portions of the flavor are OK, though not stellar.

Basically, I got a bland and ho-hum impression from this, with a little bit of a disappointment and a little bit of a "I guess I could smoke this if I have to" kind of feeling.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

Royal Jersey Original Lakakia Mixture (RJOLM) jumps right out of the tin at you. Sweet heavily fermented fruits can be smelled across the room! There is no question in my mind that this blend is cased. Aromatic fans might find something here, but it's all a bit too much for me...

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an ok tobacco but I guess I was just expecting something different. Germain blends the Esoterica Tobacciana line of tobaccos, most of which have received numerous positive reviews, and they also blend Smokers' Haven's tobaccos, two of which (Our Best Blend and Exotique Mixture) are my favorites.

This blend is similar to OBB and EM in look with long, fine cut strings of dark brown and black tobaccos. In the tin, though, this blend's initial aroma was of plums and fruit with just a hint of the latakia in the background. Is this blend cased or just fermenting? Regardless, I was expecting a bit more of a natural English or Balkan aroma.

I removed this tobacco from its tin, placed it in a glass jar and let it age for a couple of months. It finally lost most of its unnatural aroma and had the heavier aroma I expected. Unlike others, I found this to be on the heavier side, maybe because I let it age as opposed to smoking most of it out of the tin. However, I did notice the somewhat bitter aftertaste others stated.

This is borderline on a two to three rating but I'll give a two because it just does not possess any unique qualities and is just bland.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

J. F. Germain & Son along with their offspring Esoterica are my favourite blending house.

The tobacco did improve after transferring it to the sealed storage jar. Mind you this tends to be a rule for all pipe tobacco rather than an exception.

It starts off with many high and nasal notes, which I quite like. The Orientals are high quality. Mid-way the Latakia becomes more pronounced. Near the end the flavours are full and hit the entire palate. This is not a Latakia blast which some may be thinking.

Overall a bit muted and monochromatic; just okay but not great. I certainly prefer Esoterica Margate.

Northraven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northraven (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Let me preface this review by stating that I enjoy smoking primarily Latakia-based blends. I am a big fan of Dunhill's Durbar and Nightcap blends so I have some experience with smoking and handling heavy nicotine blends.

Our shop got some of the Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture in recently and having never seen it before I gave the tin a sniff. Even through the seal it smelled delightful. Intrigued, I went ahead and purchased a tin to smoke. Upon cracking open the tin I was greeted with the full gorgeous aroma of this tobacco. It has that wet grass smell that one associates with a good fresh English blend as well as an undertone of cider or sour apple. Unique to say the least.

Packing this fine-cut tobacco was easy but lighting required about three or four tries before I could get a good burn going. Once lit however, this tobacco smoked right down to the bottom of the bowl with nary a relight required. After this tobacco has dried out a bit the lighting problems vanish and one can usually get it going with just one false light and tamping.

It's worth the little bit of extra work to get it going however as this blend provides a very interesting and unique smoke. It starts off pretty mellow with a wonderful Latakia flavor which is enhanced by a sour apple/cider undertone. I don't believe that this tobacco is cased but rather that the sour apple flavor is created naturally by some step in the curing process. Towards the latter half of the bowl the Latakia flavor becomes much stronger and smokier and the sour apple taste drops away almost entirely to be replaced by the soft, mellow flavors of the Orientals in the blend. This part of the smoke reminded me of how a bowl of London Mixture tastes but with an overall sweeter undertone throughout. Overall, this is a wonderful, complicated blend which requires some attention to apprectiate fully. On the subject of strength, while this blend is nowhere near the velvet hammer that is Nightcap, it can still be heady at times. I would advise excercising some caution while smoking this on an empty stomach.

In my opinion a great blend. Currently I smoke this blend, the Germain's Special Latakia Flake, and Dunhill's Durbar in my English pipes. This stuff is definately worth a try if you enjoy smoking English/Latakia blends.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A friend gave me some of this tobacco to try, 4/5 bowls. The first thing I noted is a strange topping but, after that, the tobacco has little to say: too flat to be interesting, ever for a mild tobacco. Not really bad, but not something I will buy.