A delicately balanced blend of the finest tobaccos grown in the universe.  Smoked Latakia from Syria, the spicy Basma of Greece's Macedonian region, our own supreme flue-cured Virginias, all aged over two years in the tin.  Incomparable.

BrandPCCA
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Full, Very Full
Tolerable to Strong, Very Strong
LeGunnCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeGunnCat (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I opened a tin from 1993 yesterday. The tin smell was somewhat like your typical McClelland, somewhat less pronounced. Underneath was the smell of leather, plums, tomato ketchup, and shoeshine polish.

I began my smoke in a new Mario Grandi pipe I had gotten recently. The light was a prequel to what was to come. Big clouds of smoke billowed from the pipe. I tamped down the tobacco and got a nice ash. Once I got the tobac lit, I was in for a treat.

I am not sure if it was the aging or the blend or a combination of both, but this was a tremendous smoke. Staying cool in the pipe, the flavor was both rich yet mild, and it's very nice to puff and blow through the nose. It burns incredibly well with very little effort; very tame in the bowl.

If you can find a tin of this around, or you have one and are holding onto it, I recommend you open it next time you have a special occasion and enjoy this wonderful tobacco. It's set a new standard for me. It's a shame I don't have more than my one tin. It will surely be missed when it's gone.

SFC Psaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC Psaki (7)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Truly, this recommendation should read "I smoke this on occasion because the supply of it is so limited". To my knowledge,all of the PCCA blends were very limited runs, and don't get around on the markets, much. My tin was a gift from a friend.

This is a small, coarse cut with some broken flakes intermingled. The tobacco is dark brown and black, and REEKS of latakia! A mouthwatering foretaste of what is to come.

Like a lot of McClelland-tinned blends, this one is pretty moist, so setting out a bit to dry to my preference, I chose a classic bulldog to give this blend a go. It fills easily and evenly using the three-tier method.

The first light smells like a barbecue gone wild. The burst of flavor is exceptional, with the latakia and orientals leaping immediately to the fore. It smells, predictably, like old shoes and boiling socks, but the rich, warm flavor is huge, and delectable for lovers of latakia. I shy away from Balkans, usually, as I don't favor latakia as much as some, but this is truly a well-done mix.

The relight goes easily, and I am off to the races. I have smoked this in Fall and Winter in Germany, Spring in Kuwait, and Summer in Iraq. Throughout this variety of climates, I find the flavor to be dead-stable, and utterly predictable. It rewards with huge latakia goodness, and if that is your cup of tea, I must unequivocally recommend it.

Finishes a mixed dark-gray and light-grey ash, but is a bit bitter at the bottom.

8/8/04