This is a natural, fine Virginia and Oriental tobaccos blend. Well balanced, they mature in old english flake pipe tobacco presses. The Classic One is cut in ready-rubbed form, ready to smoke. This pipe tobacco has a soft, pleasant taste.

Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Bentley-The Classic One.

I wouldn't necessarily describe this as being just a 'ready rubbed' blend ; 'Mixture' would seem more of an appropriate badge. I can see long ribbons, chunky broken flakes and a few tiny shag cuts.

The smell has nothing extraordinary to offer, it's fairly simple.

The flavour is a basic/no nonsense one. The tobaccos are evenly weighted in comparison to one another. Some hay tones from the Virginia with a slightly decadent touch from the Orientals. I can't detect any underlying flavours.

This gives a good burn. Once lit it's pretty independent.

The temperature of the smoke is quite comfortable but it can bite a little. Nothing too painful but it does make me aware if I puff my pipe too recklessly.

The nicotine is fairly mild, it doesn't seem totally absent but it isn't what I'd call formidable!

I find The Classic One a good smoke but what begins as a basic flavour becomes a bit of a boring flavour after a while.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peder Jeppesen IDA Freehand

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Gunnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gunnar (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well, I like this blend, and I think it is quite under-rated! I don't detect neither Burley nor Cavendish, it is just very good Virginia with a touch of Oriental, nicely aged. The smell from the tin is promising, like dark bread you get only in Germany, and in the bowl it keeps this promise. I was a bit disappointed by the packaging of the 100 g tin - in the tin I found a bag that was sealed just with a small sticker, so get it fresh when you want to smoke it!

bigterr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigterr (16)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

This is an everday ALL day tobacco. It provides a very clean (no dottle) smoooooth smoke with a slight touch of sweet from the virginia and fragrance from the orientals that keeps it interesting. I never detected any bite despite being a bit of a continous puffer if I stop paying attention. As the other reviewers noted the smoke is mild but then that is what contributes to its all day quality. Five or so bowls will not exhaust your tolerance. The nicotine hit is negligible so if you are sensitive to our Lady you might find this right up your laneway. As for price I got this as a gift from a friend returning from Europe so I defer to the reviewer below who reports it is a bit pricey. It comes in a standard round tin, paper wrapped with a cardboard top lid and seemed to be ready to smoke right out of the tin with maybe 5 to 10 ten minutes air exposure. All in all a pretty enjoyable smoke with a coffee for your mid afternoon break. Highly recommended to those seeking a smooth mild tobbaco you could smoke all day.

Pipe Used: musico bent bulldog & Musico billiard

Purchased From: gift

Similar Blends: Somewhere in between Dunhill Ultra light and Dunhill Light Flake with the added nicety of orientals..

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (73)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The Bentley reviewed by the reviewer below is no more. The recipe has been changed as has the tin, which is now just flat. For reviewing purposes I decided to give both versions a try. I'll start with the new version as this is the one I tried first. According to the tin description, the blend now consists of Virginia and Orientals with a hint of Black Cavendish. The cut is that of a rubbed out flake with some loose leaf. During my first smoke I thought: "This is remarkably unremarkable". Not especially boring, just nothing special in the taste. Then I started noticing a perfumey taste wafting in and out and I did not find this wholly disagreeable. Underneath there is a solid, but mild tobacco taste.

On to the old version, my first impressions on smelling its contents was one of a slight coconut flavour, but very sparingly applied. This is a Virginia Burley blend in a rubbed out flake form, in fact very similar to the new version in appearance, perhaps slightly coarser. The smoke itself is not so very different from the new version, here the coconut wafts in and out and the Burley gives it a smoother taste. In all two tasty enough tobacco's if you like a straight smoke with no condimentals like Latakia or Perique.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is associated with the high end pipes of this same name designed by Nielsen who also hand makes the Former line . The packaging reflects this with a rounded, fliptop tin with a sealed, foil bag insert. The blend has been pressed and then rubbed out. The tin aroma, taste and room aroma is just tobacco without any flavorings. A cool, clean and mild smoke without any hint of a bite. Just too expensive for an all or every day smoke.