An exquisite blend of many fine tobaccos. Toasted Burley and Virginia Cavendish, blended with loose and square cut Golden Virginia. The Kentucky Gold is finished with full flavor Kentucky Dark Fire Cured tobacco in loose cut. A medium strength blend for the experienced pipe smoker who appreciates the flavor and good taste of natural tobaccos.

BrandW.O. Larsen
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Kentucky
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am very upset that I am down to my last tin of Kentucky Gold. Back in 2007 or so, I purchased 5 paint can style tins and they have aged to perfection. The inner foil seal was bulging to the point of imminent explosion which usually means something magical and delicious is going on in there. An apparent liquor based topping which I believe is Bourbon adds a slight sweetness to the Kentucky. Perfect amount of Nicotine and full of flavor, will burn warm if allowed and has potential bite but if you respect her, she will reward you with a solid manly smoke.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

O.K., so I've been eyeballing this tin for three years at my baccy shop and finaly decided to go for it. Thanks for all the previous reviews. For me, the bite from this blend kills any chance for enjoyment.

Update: I just can't get past the bite for some reason. Ive had my tin jarred up for about 8 years now and from time to time I revisit it to see if I've changed. Nope. Can not smoke this in any way without tongue bite. Just not for me.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is NOT your typical Danish blend. It is an aromatic (I think there may be a touch of Bourbon or rye whiskey), but there is nothing fruity, or sweet about it. The burley used is quite full, and the Kentucky gives it the quality of oak logs burning. The flavor is earthy, spicey, and astringent, but not bitter.

The moisture level is perfect out of the tin. I can manage this with one match. This was wonderful, sitting outside on the first cold day down where I live. I have to agree with bigjonburley, that it would be a great way to end the day.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I normally smoke a whole tin (or, at least attempt to) before reviewing a blend. Kentucky Gold comes in one of those round 100g tins, so, at least I made it to about 7 bowlfuls before submitting this review.

First, I grabbed a tin of this stuff after reading tillmanj's review. I love reading his reviews because our taste buds appear to be similar. I also share tantric's love of a good burley blend. So, knowing both enjoyed Kentucky Gold, I thought I might too. And indeed I do!

In the tin I smelled a honey/whiskey odor. The leaf is long, stringy and a bit moist. I zapped the stuff in my blender and then packed a bowl. I don't think I can describe the smoke as well as tillmanj & tantric, but I do agree that it was a very nice smoke that packed a bit of tobacco wallop. Yes, you taste a wonderful burley along with the other leaf, and unlike many burley blends, there was no bitter taste at all, even during the last third of the bowl.

I found a natural sweetness through the first half of each smoke, and then less casing was detected during the lower half. It smokes cool and mostly dry and I think all "good ole boys" will enjoy a dose of this W.O. Larsen blend.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Kentucky Gold is a surprising tobacco. In terms of the nicotine kick, it is the strongest Larsen I have smoked. Yet, the flavour is not at all harsh or overwhelming. The blend consists of brown ribbon cut, slightly darker broken flake and cavendished strands, with some bright and dark rough chunks thrown in (probably the Kentucky fire cured). Most Burley and Virginia Cavendish mixtures tend to have a woodsy, roast nut like aroma. This one does not. Upon opening the tin, one encounters a very delicate, almost watery, scent. I do not find this particularly attractive. The tobacco is fresh, musky, but not overly so. It is easy to pack. Lightening was easy. Then it hits you: a deep, slightly bitter taste spreads throughout the palate as the nicotine rushes up. Wow! The different, subtle flavours start developing. This is a tobacco you need to pay attention to. Not sweet, but zesty and fresh. It burns very well as it gradually engulfs the senses. Wonderful smoking experience.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tin Aroma: Light and nutty, definately a blend with some Burley to it. Initial Reaction: I smiled at the first light, I love Burley! Then the PG set in, and for a second, I almost retched. The PG settled down after the initial reaction, and another good Burley blend enters my rotation. I smoked this in a Larsen pipe on the first try, and have since considered highly the possibility of devoting the pipe to this blend exclusively, with perhaps an occasional break for another Larsen blend. I am a big fan of what I call 'Southern Blends', containing lots of Burley, Cavendish, or Kentucky tobaccos, and this fits nicely in that niche. The Cavendish and Burley combination in this blend produced an astringent quality that goes well with a cup of Orange Pekoe, or a tall glass of iced tea. The second half of the bowl is a slightly fuller and more basso experience than the first half, and a tiny bit harder to keep lit. Perhaps the Cavendish naturally seeks a level lower tha nthe Burley. Careful packing seems to eliminate this to a degree.