The basis for this special blend is formed by the Troost Special Cavendish recipe, which is a rich blend of the best tobaccos from Virginia, Brazil and Africa. A unique process which enriches the aroma gives an extra aroma to this tobacco. It is because of this unique process that the
extremely fragrant Troost Aromatic tobacco is appraised by pipe smokers over the entire world.

BrandTroost
2.2
tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this blend. It doesnt have too much of an aromatic taste, a little underlying carmely butter scotchy topping and a nice tobacco taste. Simple and good for nearly every occasion when a non english is desired. Perfect fall smoke in my opinion.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend is not as bad as many of the reviews on it would reflect. It is nothing spectacular but not a bad smoke. The flavoring is very mild and you do get some natural tobacco flavoring. It almost reminds me of a VaPer, though I know that it has no perique. I see that a few have said that it has some cigarette qualities, but a good cigarette, for those who may like that. I would give it 2.5 stars somewhere between Somewhat and recommend. Worth a try if you come across it especially for the price.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Cup o Joes

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (52)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Excellent aromatic tobacco. This is one of the best golden cavendish you can find. And it is cheaper than many others. It is an aromatic golden cavendish and if you look for a non-aromatic you have to orient yourself towards Amphora original Blend. But if you like an aromatic golden cavendish this is really ok, quite perfect. It is lightly flavored, with natural substances (and not chemical). But not a lot, just a little bit. The taste is yummy, very good and pleasant. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

A Scot in Argentina Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Scot in Argentina (5)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to agree with recent positive reviews. which seem to be spot on. Due to some silly person slapping on an erectile dysfunction smoking warning label right over the packet it wasn't until I purchased the pouch and peeled the label off I was horrified - as a lover of natural flavoured tobaccos - to see it described as 'Aromatic Cavendish'. My money was spent so I might as well have a smoke even though I know I won't like it I thought to myself. I got a surprise. If you like aromatics then this one will disappoint you. If you're a lover of English blends then I suspect you will also be disappointed. If you fall in between both camps and have got this tobacco at a reasonable price you might well be pleasantly surprised. To summarise it's definitely more natural tasting and smelling than aromatic which made me feel my money wasn't wasted. Definitely worth a try I would say....if the price is right or no alternatives are available.

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A surprising blend. I could see how this blend would be automatically slumped with those other danish blends, and written off, but I feel that is selling it short. The name "aromatic cavandish" is misleading. I would categorize this as a cased Virginia/golden cavendish/Dutch-style cavendish.The tobacco comes in the pouch in kind of a ready rub (reminds me of Mac Baren Virginia #1). The pouch note is dried fruit, and virginia tobacco. It can bite, but it is perfectly manageable. Flavor-wise, its a pleasant, fruity taste, with a hint of nuttiness and mid-range sweetness. At times, it can taste a bit hollow, but thats to be expected from an OTC. The flavor reminds me of something midway between Lane MV-1000 and Dunhill Flake...

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

I've just finished my first pouch of this Aromatic Cavendish and would comfortably come back to it again as a rotation tobacco.

It's certainly a dry cut upon opening and requires no further airing to appreciate. Indeed, leaving this out for an hour or more would, most likely, undermine the taste and tones apparent upon opening.

What you are getting with this sub-3 star tobacco is a pleasant butterscotch/toffee caramel aroma, with a dash of licorice thrown in to balance it. As an aromatic, it's not going to please everyone with its punch, but realistically, how many actually do? For me (and I like bold blends) there's enough life here to make this an all-day smoke and I'm satisfied with the various flavours I get from smoking this to the bottom of the bowl. It lights easily and works exceedingly well with the Frank Method of pipe-packing.

Surprisingly, it's not the driest of smokes, but it doesn't clog the bowl either. Tongue-bite is present, but if sipped meditatively and at a reasonable pace, this smoke is relatively smooth, sweet and mild. For me, the casing accentuates the taste of the tobacco and compliments it, rather than kill it.

All in all, semi-fragrant smoke that I'll most definitely be having in the future - but not until I've had the chance to sample other stock. Best savoured in a shorter pipe.

This is a mild unremarkable cavendish with a topping that is hard for me to identify. It may be caramel or butterscotch maybe. If this were OTC, and the shop was out of Carter Hall, I might pick up a pouch of it. It is not the sort of thing I would order.

I can believe there are folks who like this. It just does not do much for me. I can smoke it, and it is better than not smoking.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I received this as a free sample. It was okay. Kinda bland, but it's not completely terrible. Burned rather hot, I was expecting that though. Aftertaste was pleasant and the room note is really nice. It's forgettable, only because it has potential to be a decent blend if tweaked a bit. I was really expecting it to be better, but in the end it was just another mediocre blend in a very vibrant pouch. Somewhat recommended to beginners for three reasons: it doesn't leave the pipe overtly wet, it smells nice and the pouch is kinda cool.

Sturionu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sturionu (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I re-started smoking pipes after some 27 years. During those hectic years I went through the cigarette, cigars and the occasional shisha. Coming back to the 90's, Troost (the Aromatic Cavendish) was my favorite and the same tobacco played a major role in me re-activating the pipe collection. I found some on an European website, ordered it and... it's unchanged for all those years - such a joy! It never happened to have dry tobacco in a pouch - it's quite moist and needs some drying that I'm not performing, stubborn guy eh? But I have to say I ALWAYS smoke it in combination with a dryer, less tasty, unflavored tobacco and maybe that's why it works so great for me. My mother used to ask me to go in her bedroom and have a few puffs so what's more to say? Very pleasant taste and smell, a wonderful (and by no means hidden) flavor, a little on the wet-smoking side (but try it in combination with a dryer tobacco, it's great); it burns well, not too hot, an all around great experience - I'm ordering a new batch one of these days. Take care of you and your loved ones.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a great tobacco and not a bad tobacco. I enjoy it though

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This stuff tastes like cigarettes and leaves a room note like stale cigarettes. Definitely not recommended.

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An unremarkable tobacco that tends to burn hot. I would choose most "drug store" tobaccos over this. There's really not much of a taste, nor strength, nor flavoring. It sort of tells you that you smoked a pipe. It's sort of an "emergency rationing" of pipe tobacco. On the plus side, it has a fairly long burn.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

Licorice.

If you can imagine smoking a Twizzler, you'll have a good idea of how much you'll enjoy this blend.

I like licorice....but not in my tobacco.

The underlying leaf is pretty good and the price is right.....it's too bad that the casing is so annoying.

You folks who live in civilized nations, where Troost Slices are available, are the lucky ones.

Pass.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I only could try this one in a pouch. Long pieces of partially rubbed flakes. The aroma was somehow sweet with the grassy undertone of VAs.

As it was rather dry in the pouch, the lighting up was not a problem. The smoking experience, on the other hand, was rather unpleasant. I guess it would be a lot better in a tin (as is the case with the Special CA) which is really worth the try in a tin).

Let's say it made no imperssion, durable or not, on me.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)

recommended for beginner smokers as myself. missing burley in the content saying its in there according to some dutch sites that sell the tobacco. broken flake is easy to pack the pipe, packing the pipe it smells somewhat grassy/hay. burns well and not too hot the taste is sweetish/butterscotch there is also some tobacco flavor. it could be a nice all day smoke, has no tonguebite. i would even go sofar to say that if you cant get troost slices this one is a good 2nd. this tobacco will in my rotation for sure.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (86)

After some years of antipathy, this summer I reconciled my senses with Aros and Cavendish, so when I saw the yellow pouch on the shelf of the tobacconist I remembered that some months ago our fellow Clarkus suggested me to try Troost, I guess he was talking about the Special version ... Well, not being available Special I tried Aromatic, curiously the pouch came in my hands so fresh and well sealed that I found a moist tobacco, not usual reading others reviews! Despite the name it seems a classic Cavendish not much Aromatic, yes some traces of caramel-like flavouring but a tobacco-woodiness (slightly and well rounded) dominant aroma, a pleasant tobacco but it lacks of depth. A comparison with Amphoras comes to my mind as for others, IMO this Troost is a notch better. Three stars on a scale of five.

Scots Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scots Jim (8)

I recommend this as an ideal pipe tobacco for someone starting out smoking a pipe.

I started off on my wonderful pipe journey by smoking this tobacco.

Recommended for a new pipe smoker.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)

Years ago, this used to be my regular tobacco for "all day" smoking. Revisiting it recently, I was somewhat disappointed -- perhaps my palette has become more demanding from smoking more expensive blends. It has more tongue & throat bite than I expect from a mild Dutch Cavendish. The flavour has little character, although that can be a plus for an everyday smoke. On the good side, the pouch is fresh at just the right humidity, the burn is even, and the flavour & room note have no overwhelming fruitiness or cloying aftertaste. An OK tobacco for the new smoker, although perhaps a little harsh. Qualified recommendation - 2 1/2 stars.

As Troost Special Cavendish is one of my top favorites, I was happy to see that a few on line dealers were now supplying Troost Aromatic Cavendish. I smoked the aromatic version many years ago and was anxious to try it again.

The pouch appearance is quite the same as the Special. I notice the presence of the licorice in the pouch aroma, but I do not detect the presence of any chocolate as I do in the Special Cavendish. What is also noticeable in the aromatic that is not present in the Special is the mild presence of butterscotch. Packing and lighting is as easy as with the Special. There is that nice spicy tang in the mouth with the pleasant combination of Virginia and Burley, however, Special is a bit fuller in the mouth as its tobacco taste is much more prominent. The butterscotch in the Aromatic does translate in the smoke and its presence not overbearing in the least. It is similar in taste to Dan Tobacco's Milonga but Troost's butterscotch flavoring is not nearly as prominant. A bit of moisture is noticed by mid bowl, never really becoming a problem. As with Special, Aromatic doesn't bite or smoke hot. A medium gray ash is what remains at the bowl's end, and no dottle. I might add that I have never experienced any chemical taste whatsoever with the Special or Aromatic, nor did any of the casings taste artificial. I suspect more Kentucky in the Special version, perhaps accounting for the fuller tobacco presense that is lacking in the Aromatic version.

Overall, a very pleasant smoke. Troost Special is truly a 4 star smoke for me, as I favor the fuller tobacco taste. However, Troost Aromatic is "special" in its own way - especially if you like butterscotch! As such, it rates a solid 3 stars.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (29)

i had one pouch of this tobacco a few year back and it was the only one that i bought,i didnt like it that much.however i may go back to it to see if there is any differents,i may have been wrong,and just maybe i need to try it again,although im not that hopeful.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I was curious to visit Troost after the most recent ? nostalgic - review of Special by Bluenoser? but Aromatic Cavendish is not Special, I was confusing? and Special is not available in Italy, nor are Slices. Troost Aromatic Cavendish was a traditional cheap dutch Cavendish commonly available in Italy just like Amphora, but not nowadays: I had to go to ?specialized? tobacconist to find it. Means to me that it is not encountering great appreciation. Light and medium brown in colour, soft broken flake "a? la Amphora", perfect humidity (the pouch is fresh). Faintly sweet pouch aroma, something between vanilla and tonquin - after smelling at SG?s 1792 Flake I?m more for the second - in the dutch tradition. Unlike many aromatics, the pouch aroma reflects coherently on the smoke, both in the taste and the nose as well, pleasantly sweet and peppery but in a kinda natural fashion. Non forcing of the draw avoids ? over heating, that?s obvious ? a possible sourish note. I have not faced any bitter note which is possible in this kind of products. Strength and body are just mild. I cannot avoid to compare Troost with Amphora?s. Aromatic Cavendish seems between today?s Green and Red, but much better quality and no bite at all. This is not ?exactly? the kind of tobacco I go to, but the experience is quite nice. Two stars and half.

zarteus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zarteus (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A middle of the road aromatic, which in some ways is annoying because the thing an aromaphile seeks from a blend is often a bold statement. Pleasant enough, but I couldn't find anything to shout about. I agree with the comments about its dryness although it matters little at the end of the day.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A strange bird, that one.

Large cut broken flake like Amphora, the leaves on the light coloured side with some darker shades.

Upon breaking the seal, the aroma is nice - vanilly, maybe?- but I thought I was sold a very old pouch that had gone dry until I was told it's standard for that mixture.

The lighting was not extraordinarily pleasant, the casing immediately attacking my taste buds.

I tried as much pipefuls as I could, in different pipes and sizes and then let go. Not my type of bakkie.

ABSSiegel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABSSiegel (21)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I appreciated the reviewer who compared it to straw. I agree with his observations. It was a dry tobacco when it came out of the pouch. As I smoked my third bowl in as many days, the slight nuances of the blend became apparent. The only reason I tried Troost was because it's my best friend's favorite brand. What was he thinking? This blonde cavendish is a disappointment. I will finish the pouch (when I'm bored), but I won't buy it again.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

JANUARY 2006. Troost Aromatic Cavendish. Lighting was fairly easy after letting the tobacco sit for 10 to 20 min's. Smoking it was reasonably easy,but,it left me wishing there was more flavour and back-bone to it all the way to the bottom of the bowl. After smoking a very well aged tin of Troost Slices,I constantly found mytself comparing the two.If I'd never tried the slices,then,and only then would I have been half way happy with the aromatic version.A definite case of real tobacco,verses a more commercial blend. Yes,Troost Slices,definitely spoilt me!!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

No match for the slices, this is a passable aromatic that one would not frquently reach for.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

A pretty classic Dutch cavendish, not too bad but not a winner. It has a bonus in the cut, a broken flake, that helps in keeping the heat at an almost decent level: had it been a ribbon cut, it would have probably boiled my tongue in few seconds.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Tin aroma: Classic, sweet cavendish with a chocolate type topping on a non-descript burley/virginia base.

Room Note: Fairy pleasant but not very remarkable.

Packing: like shoving straw into a hole to bung a leak: dry with weedy strands.

Moisure Content: Dry as tinder. Awful.

Lighting: I'm amazed it didn't catch fire and consume the whole bowl in seconds it was that dry! Lots of smoke and lots of blisters. Ouch!

Appearance: Like straw; very light and yellow with weedy, unappetising strands.

Smoking: Very dry, hot and bland. Bites like a vampire. If I smoked straw I imagine it would have this heat and taste. Cannot detect any nicotine. Upon further analysis,I think it actually is straw. Bleurgh!

Pros: It smells OK to other people. Other than that, none at all!

Cons: Hot, hot, hot! Acrid, dry and tasteless. Burns fast so at least the pain is over and done with. In my opinion, a waste of time and money. An abomination.

Score: One out of five for the room note only. Enough said!

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good substitute for Amphora green. It's slightly of better quality than Amphora. It has a nutty taste and a balmy sweet aroma. Relatively a cool smoke. Like all Dutch blends it has good nicotine punch.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I got this on a whim from my local tobaccanist who has had the one pouch sitting on the shelf for as long as I can remember. After opening it though, I almost took it back for a refund. This is the driest blend I have ever seen, period! I usually like my blends on the drier side but this was ridiculous. After the clerk assured me this was normal for the blend, I reluctantly loaded a corn cob and gave her a shot. It wasn't too bad but Lustra is right- cheap burley is in residence here. The casing is a very pleasant classic cavendish taste, and the burn was fine, but I had to work too keep the burley from going sour on me, and that takes all of the fun right out of it for me. I did enjoy the casing enough to possibly try it again sometime, but will probably not purchase it in the future.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Troost Aromatic is an economical Dutch Cavendish that reminds me of Sail Regular. Like Sail, it's a seemingly well-cut broken flake that looks and smells like tobacco.

The resemblance ends there, unfortunately.

Sail comes properly humidified; Troost comes dry as a bone and takes several days to moisten into something smokable. Sail smokes dry and cool; Troost smokes hot and bites. Sail has a light, sweet, natural taste; Troost tastes like the bitter burley that it is, and leaves an acrid aftertaste.

In general, for summertime smoking I prefer the Dutch cavendishes to the Danish blends (excepting Mac Baren Navy Flake, which I always have on hand). They generally taste and smoke better to me. Troost Aromatic is the exception to this rule, though. At $4 for a 50-gram pouch, it's a bargain, and it can be made to smoke passably well, but for a few pennies more, you can buy Sail, and why not? Sail is one of the great summertime smokes, and it runs less than half the cost of your average tinned delectable.