A smooth, all-day Virginia, Turkish and Latakia tobacco. This is a medium strength English smoke with Virginia overtones.

BrandThe Smoker
Blended ByMel Feldman
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Packaging2oz Tin, 4oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)

Tin aroma is bright and pungent, oak, floral, and earthy with an Oriental perfume and slight smoky/woodiness.

Char and initial light is both sour and bready, a little pungent curry/caraway spice and some woodsy notes. Flavor carries pretty much the same throughout, where the other "The Smoker" blend I smoked recently was a chameleon as I smoked, this one was consistent throughout, offering a bright, then immediately brooding flavor of sour apple and pungent spices.

I consider this a "good" English style tobacco, with nothing unpleasant, by the same token nothing specifically grabbed me about it.

EDIT 5/7/14: I'm re-reviewing this tobacco after having a bowl that I would practically consider epic. For starters, this tobacco (and most English tobaccos in general) seem to behave much better in wide-bowled Pot, Prince, Bulldog briars for me. I've also had limited luck with most English in a cob. There was no exception here...

While there was no chameleon effect, in a briar bowl (Edwards Bulldog) I got a TON of virginia brightness with the orientals and lat playing backup. It smoked incredibly cool and clean, and I could most compare this to eating rich food, and washing it down with a crisp white riesling... the richness of the English side of this tobacco plays well with the sour and bright flavors that seem to be up front. No real complexity, just two predominant flavors playing off each other a little unbalanced, Virginia really stealing the show.

I don't know how I missed these flavors in a cob, but they were there for me in the briar. I'm upgrading my review from 2 to 3. Recommended.

Pipe Used: MM Legend Cob