Akin to Yachtsman Plug but with the strongest taste and flavour.

BrandMurray Sons & Co, Ltd
CutPlug
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The dark Virginia is sweet, slightly grassy, with an earthy, woody boldness. The burley has some nutty earthiness and characteristics of molasses, though I’m not totally sure the latter actually comes from the burley. The toppings are hard to identify, but I suspect one of them is treacle. Besides the molasses, I get some raisin, date, and dark fruit notes, though it’s very likely some of that comes from the fermentation of the tobaccos being pressed into plug form. There’s also a light feeling of spice that comes and goes. Being a plug, it takes some time to prepare, but it’s worth the trouble. With a little dry time, you’ll still get a long, smooth smoke with plenty of strength and nicotine to while away your time.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this one about four months ago with a load of other tobaccos and stuck it at the back of the cupboard expecting to get round to it pretty soon Needless to say I forgot about it and only came back to it recently after a lean month.

The plug takes a little work to disect, I don't know if that's due to the age or just me making hard work of it. nonetheless I managed to get into a more smokeable form, actually getting as far as turning into some sort of ready rubbed status. The aroma of the tobacco itself isn't strong, perhaps something akin to a well roasted pork joint, fond memories of my mother's Sunday dinners ensued. Packing wasn't an issue but then given the effort to reduce it from plug to ready rubbed this is hardly a surprise. It was a little damp, even after four months, so a bit of drying out is required. The flavour is quite mild, maybe the aging hasn't done it any favours and I've had a job discerning it, possibly more of that roast pork as per the tin smell, but no fruitiness that I have picked up with other plugs. The ash, while not fine, does seem to come out easily enough making clearing the bowl a doddle.

On the whole, not a bad smoke, though it doesn't thrill. I will have to try some of this fresh from the packet to do it proper justice though. Not the best plug I've tried, that honour goes to 3P's, but worthy of three stars.

Pipe Used: MM Legend and straight Adsorba

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

After just having reviewed Mick McQuaid Plug (see my review for details) I would have to say Warrior Plug is very similar in all aspects - appearance, preparation, taste, smoking qualities. WP is a bit less fruity but a bit more spicy than MMcQ - and not by much in those two qualities. Perhaps a tad less sweet and closer to Peterson's 3 P's - perhaps from the Burley. Otherwise, they were both enjoyable to smoke and I would have no problem smoking one over the other if availability was an issue, both being superb smokes. Along with Peterson's 3P's, these three plugs would be a nice rotation smoke as far as plugs go. Unfortunately, MMcQ and WP are not available stateside. What a shame. 3P's will have to do. Both MMcQ and WP are manufactured by Scandanavian Tobacco Group (Orlik/Stokkebye) and I would have to say they have done a nice job with these plugs. I wasn't bothered by excessive nicotine in either of these two plugs and would be able to smoke them daily, and at any time of the day. If you happen to like plugs and come by a bar of WP, you will not be disappointed at all. A solid recommendation.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Whoo! This is the sort of tobacco that grandpa used to smoke back in the days when men were men and women were glad of it. If you like all the fuss of preparing plug or twist tobacco for the pipe, it'll be fun. It isn't difficult, though, with a sharp knife and some patience.

If Warrior Plug ain't what it used to be (as Invigilator says, below), I don't want even to think about what it used to be. It's slow, full- bodied and tasty; but it has one hell of a nicotine kick, and I don't mean maybe. If you like strong, dark plugs and twists, this'll do you nicely, but it certainly isn't for the meek. It had me praying for death after half a bowl.

Don't inhale, unless you want to end up with lungs like black lace curtains; and smoke it in a small bowl. For what it is, it's a very classy product: recommended. Be warned, though: this is masculine stuff.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Strong

As noted below by other pipers, this is very similar to Mick Mcquaid plug(and to be honest i can't discern any difference between the two when smoked side by side) Lovely stuff this is indeed, certainly high test and not for the meek or mild and if you dont have hair on you're chest prior to smoking this plug, you absolutely will afterwards. This is one of these blend i think everyone should try

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Warrior Plug . I am new to Plugs so I found the appearance quite intimidating but after a while of preparation my bowl was ready to light ! It took to the flame with surprising ease and stayed lit well with a very even burn . The smoke is of a good thickness with a fruity undertone to it . I delivers no bite and has a good Nicotine level . If you are willing to allow a little tenacity with the preparation I'm sure you will feel (as I do ) satisfied with it !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

sethus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethus (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable

An all day bowl,akin to mick mcQuaid,but more vit n, at night i like to tear a few leaves of black xx rope and add to the mix,produces heaven on earth,.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

50g Pouch

Tearing of the cellophane wrapping and just taking a sniff i get a very potent complex perfume which is hard to solve and reminds me of the "forbidden cupboards" as a kid.The first thing that enters my mind is that song "Incense and Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm clock.A lot of odours that i haven't smelled for atleast 30 years (70s/early 80s).

1ST fathomable impressions through the sea of aromas i pick out are 'Minty' comes to mind without being directly minty(freshing)like those soft melt in the mouth mint creams and fruits which are simular in consistancy to "kendal mint cake"(a high energy mint oil and sugar confection bar favoured by mountain climbers and explorers(like a sugar mouse)and not a lakeland tobacco so don't bother looking for it.) Medicine ala menthol cough mixture.Ah! and perhaps even wilsons menthol fruit 'whatever?' snuff.Woody furnature.

I keep sniffing and even before i have opened the main plastic pouch i am taken back to my childhood of while my parents have gone out or are asleep;when i decided in boredom to go on an explorational "lick,sniff,touch,feel,try" session of aftershaves,medicines,polishes and anything household,mysterious and on the top shelf or back of the cupbourd.Distinctly hiding in the cleaning cupboard when i was small enough to fit in it and closing the door behind me, so that all i could see was the checkered rays of sunlight shining through the airbrick in the wall like a minature stained glass window.With a light draught and a full aroma of all the perfumed and weird cleaning products,polishes,soaps and waxes for a kind of heady high.(my first meditation chamber)where i was clever enough as well to make sure everything faced the same direction afterwards. It smells complex..

Anyway, back to the current;removing the contents reveals a precision cut rectangular 2x4x4.5cm blackish/brown moist compressed plug with tan brown stem speckle looking like a block of bakelite.

Consistancy in the hand is of a well dense/hard but moist block which looks like something else you can smoke which you can get from alternative tobacconists or when you are on holiday. Holding in the hand and sniffing at point blank range,the aroma is of dark honey,peppery cinnamon/spicy with maybe jaffa peel,an airosol beeswax pot pouri fragrent/floral(but not lakeland)furnature polish.

I tear about a 5mm thick layer from the block and cut some 2mm wide flake strips with some tin snips.(I had to cut this plug up into dominoes anyway to fit inside my kilner jar because i couldn't close the lid on it.) Having had it exposed on the table a few minutes the initial pouch aroma has faded.The manufacturers description of the contents as i cut myself a label for the jar from the packet reads:-"Dark Virginia and Burley,aroma of spicy dark plum"I will take their word for it about the plum.(i didnt pick it up but it has a certain rich dark fruitness like a jar of Mincemeat) But; the spice factor definately reminds me of a long discontinued dark brown spicy cough syrup i remember from the 70s which i havent seen for years,but would be worth faking a cough for a prescription of the finest treacle spice licorice liqueur (Ipecahuana?)ahem medicine i have ever tasted - if it was still produced.(medicine head)

Takes light ok and i must say its quite a mellow smoke actually;simular feel to Benson and Hedges Mellow Mixture just with a different topping. Although this burns it may benefit from a bit of pre ignition drying time because it was a bit steamy,but sometimes the steam aspect carries the aromatic taste in some baccies more than in the dry smoke.The smoke is mild but has a mystery spice "old spice" aftershave-esque factor,and a sourness like plum which is felt as a sensation more than the plum aspect is actually tasted(more prune).

At this stage bearing in mind i am breaking in a new pipe(a 'New Old Stock' vintage Dr Plum peacemaker with moisture trap aluminium stem-the pick axe shape)its not making a real big taste impression,but persevering i can say its not soapy and hasn't tried biting once.. Saying this i suddenly get more of the aromatic taste as i start puffing harder instead of sipping(maybe this is a puffers smoke?) Wiping out the condensation goo in the moisture trap brings more smokeness and taste and i realise i havent lit the bowl evenly so i give it a mix up and another relight and now i am getting it.

I don't know if this is love at 1st smoke but it may grow on me like others have done a few days or weeks later.Its certainly unique and peculier enough to deserve a place in my rotation because i haven't smoked anything like this yet.Its charecteristics are somewhere between Peterson 3PS,Revor Plug,and Walnut Flake and its going alright with this complimentary Pimms No1 and lemonade i have on the side here.

The room note is nice i might add and i can definately smell this as i smoke - its giving a sweet spicy perfumed woodball incense aroma at the moment.I walk out of the room for a few minutes and come back in to see if i can make a pedestrian impression of the room note and couldn't smell a thing - all i can say is that i don't think anybody would complain.

Taste gets stronger down the bottom bowl and is worth waiting for.The name "Warrior" maybe overated,the nicotine feels medium so far.Getting nice sour aroma up my nose and clears my sinuses. It doesn't taste menthol or anything but has a certain "vicks vaporub" effect.It seems like an applied topping essence rather than a casing BTW. Boy! the aromatic taste factor really picks up near the bottom!;makes me glad its mild at the top.

Having finished the pipe and had a drink i have an aftertaste finish in my mouth i can suddenly identify as a specific taste from my youth;"cough candy".

So many tastes and aromas;fruit mincemeat,dandylion and burdoch pop,wrights coal tar vaporizer,blackcurrent and licorice sweets,cough candy,victory v sweets(licorice-aniseed spicey)incense sticks,perfume wood balls,airosol furnature polish,kiwi shoe polish.Memory lane.

Revisiting a few days later the aroma has toned down a bit and i can say that the base tobacco is close to Petersons 3PS,like a pressed date and fig natural health food bar(kind of)but there is still a prominant spicy cough candy aromatic property.

Anyway its worth 3 stars and i would buy again,its early days yet and i will be a while before i finish it off because i currently have about 50 baccies on the go and i like variation in a day.

If i had a cold or perhaps i was on a cold fishing boat, i would definately select this as a potential companion/medicine smoke.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It truely doesn't get much better than this. Sliced, rubbed and packed with a medium firmness in a smallish bowl (a prince is ideal) this is close to Nirvana. After several plugs I'm going to declair the flavor to be somewhat akin to what Germain uses for Stonehaven, though a bit less so and a tad less sweet. It suits the tobaccos perfectly. I can sip a small bowl of this for close to two hours without thinking about it much as I putter around my carving studio...one of its notable strong points. I don't find it harsh or overly strong at all, but very full and with a nearly perfect marriage of natural tobacco and enhanced flavor with the raisin/prune/molasass notes of what I've been told is termed "treacle" by the Brit bad boys that conjur these magic little plugs. Absolutely fine and to be savored. Burns half again more slowly than McQuaid and with a finer, sweeter flavor. Arguably the world's most lovely evil. A large bowl of this would be akin to a mug of scotch. Besr to savor it slowly in a smaller vessel that suits its strength and nature.

Strong Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Yikes! - I can see why balding men like this tobacco. It puts hair everywhere. Strong and very harsh Virginia leaf plastered my palate and the added casing (no clue what it is), wouldn't even come off my tooth brush. I do thank the fellow tobaccoreviews.com reviewer who gifted me a couple of bowls of Warrior Plug but I do ask gently that he doesn't send me any more.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

i bought my pouch back in ireland some months ago, because i saw many people smoking this tobacco. Well I gave it a try - not for me at all. It comes as a nice rectangular piece of dark pressed, intensively smelling chunk of va. Good to work with, strip down some nice thin stripes with a good pocket knive, process of loading the pipe - no problems at all, comes with first char. Good amount of smoke, very harsh from the start - much stronger compared to yachtsman, but maybe only due to the greater amount of dark va. Nicotine is okay for me. To me this is a typical old fashion tobacco - compared with the new generation - say peterson´s 3 p´s or my alltime favorite Mick McQuaid´s Plug - bringing it up into my rotation would be a step back. only two stars

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

A strong, woodsy and sweet plug without noticeable artificial casings. The room note is very pleasant to me but I'm not sure how non-smokers feel about it. The smell of the plug (tin aroma) is to die for and that alone is worth the purchase.

My only complaint with this plug is that it tends to burn very hot and bite smoked at my regular pace. And for that it looses one rating star. Note that this is the only plug I've ever tried so it may have something to do with the way I pack and prepare it.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Sit down to this with a very small pipe or warrior will knock you down. If you want a good strong tobacco without the added floral notes and casings, this is it.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this for the first time in Sneem, Ireland. I was in a drug store and picked up a few plugs to sample the Irish pipe tobaccos. What a great suprise. It's a great virginia blend. The tobaccos are married in this hard little brick and this one is delightful. You pare away pieces of the tobacco and rub it a bit and in the bowl it goes (typically a billiard bowl). This stuff is not cheap but you get a nice long smoke out of the bowl and it is savory. It burns clean to the bottom of the bowl. You can still get it by ordering from some of the fine tobacconists in England. You can't use a credit card anymore (what genius made that rule????) but you can buy it from Mr. Barber in the UK. Buy it!

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Still a fine example of a matured virginia plug tobacco. While the manufacturer has changed, it is a solid performer. A deep "woodsy" taste and aroma, with a complexity associated with matured virginias.

Stronger than Yachtsman Plug, this has been a good smoke for me for many years. Now a bit more difficult to buy here in the US. I have always found the practice of preparing plug cuts to be a distinctive part of the art and science of pipe smoking, and I will take a plug tobacco over any other cut when its available.

This type tobacco ages well and done properly, will give a smoker a wonderful smoke. I have just finished a plug of this that I have aged 11 years. Truly, a real pleasure!

6/10/2012 I have upgraded this plug to 4 starts as I find it meets all my criteria for a first rate tobacco.

I smoke this in a group 5 size, straight billiard.

...a pipe is to be savored...

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

slightly edited review, based on smoking this back-to-back with yachtman plug:

first to the surprise: the small pouch/foil tells that this plug is manufactured in the eu. this can only mean orlik, imo. so, once again, as with mick mcquaid and a few others, i'll have to admit that they CAN produce high class tobacco.

on to the warrior. what can i say, other than that this is filled with deep, fermented, rather stoved virginia goodness, slightly sweet, slightly smoky (perhaps from some kentucky), rather earthy (some burley), with berryish notes and probably a top flavour. the flavouring seems present in the pouch note, but almost disappears when it's smoked. it smokes slowly, slowly, with a more-than-decent nic kick, and it tastes fine from top to bottom. it takes well to relights and dgt. this tells me that there can't be that many additives in it, as they tend to make relights unpleasant.

an extraordinary tobacco, which i'll have to stock up on for the bleak future of smoking.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Here's another tobacco that has suffered in the translation.

I used to smoke this years ago, and a fine, full-bodied, tasty smoke it was, just the thing for a small to medium-sized bowl after a decent dinner. Not a tobacco for the novice or the unwary either, as it could produce a few head-spinning moments if its copious smoke was gulped with too much enthusiasm.

With these fond recollections in mind, I bought some of the recent Orlik-produced version and opened it with keen anticipation. It looked good, felt good and was obviously carefully manufactured. So far so good.

Having produced the necessary shavings and rubbed them out a tad, I filled a trusty Peterson 86, lit up and puffed away. Much smoke billowed out, but where was the taste? The entire bowl was bland in the extreme, a total disappointment. This is Warrior Plug's ghost, an insubtantial doppelganger of the real thing. It's a harmless enough tobacco, but it will disappoint those who expect the glories of its illustrious predecessor.

All this maked me painfully aware that when I bought this plug, I also bought some Mick McQuaid Plug from the same manufacture. I hesitate to open it.

MPAA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MPAA (2)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this to be perhaps one of the easiest virginia's to smoke - never had tongue bite ever - I usually smoke it in a Peterson system pipe. Certainly on par with SG's Full Virginia Flake and McClellands 5115.

I strongly recommend this for the delicate berry flavours on the palate, as well as a perhaps wheaty grainy taste. Altogether a very pleasant smoke. It is worth all the preparation! I usually chew on a small piece for a bit, spit it out, dry it, crumble it and smoke it. It's like a fine cigar, smokes very slowly, and has a wonderful room note.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Some plugs and ropes are so goopy you need half a bowl of kitty litter just to soak it up. Not so with Warrior Plug.

I whittled thin slivers, let them dry thoroughly and just crammed 'em in a tall Peterson Billiard. Took to the match with no resistance and smoked slowly all the way to the heel.

I picked up some toasted almond and berry flavors, but I don't think they are added...just tasty natural tobacco nuances. No bite factor, and subsequent bowls DGT very well. No ghost in the wood or the cake that forms quickly with this tobacco. A good hard cake with no brittle flakes. Nicely done.

Update November 13, 2008: Almost an entire plug has gone up in smoke. Warrior Plug has many positive similarities to Erinmore Plug...the light fruit flavors being the most obvious. Still a chunky monkey, it burns slower than Erinmore, and the flavors last longer before the base tobaccos push through. Delightful.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've a soft spot on plugs because of all the ritual of cutting it and preparing it to be smoked. Out of the pouch this one looks pretty scary: dark, oily, with a distinctive smell. I cut three slices and let them dry out a little, then I rubbed them and crossed myself while loading a meerschaum. Well, I thought it would have been a truly challenging smoke, but it proved to be a rather smooth one! The tobacco is smoky at the beginning, then it becomes sweeter and stays sweet to the end, with subtle touches of dried fruits, but not soapy at all. Never biting, it stays lit without difficulties and smokes enough dry. A very good Virginia plug.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The few places that sell this usually offer it with the proviso that it is a strong tobacco, for the experienced only.

Out of the foil wrapper, the plug gives the appearance of a brick of oily tar; perhaps almost as scary as one of the black twists. Cutting thin slices (if nothing else, ordering plug tobacco will keep your knife-sharpening skills up!) does nothing to belay this impression. I did find that my sample did need quite a bit of drying-time.

When it's finally ready for smoking, match to bowl, preparing for the worst...Hey! It's smooth, and with a medium taste, quite accomodating. I'm not sure if it is or is not slightly sweetened, but it certainly is slightly sweet. Although the room note doesn't draw raves, neither does it inspire brickbats. Overall strength I would put on par with S.Gawith's Full Virginia Flake.

I would, and will, order it again, but I won't be in that great a rush to do so. There's a lot of work that goes into the smoker getting it ready to load; I would expect something quite unique to make it worthwhile. A medium-full, heavily steamed and pressed Virginia isn't all that uncommon.

Lucky us!