Made fron sun-ripened Kentucky Burley, aged to mellow perfection in nature's slow but sure way.

BrandVelvet

2.1
Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Velvet is truly, one of the simple pleasures in life. Sun-ripened dark burley, that's it. Not much to go wrong.

Over the years, Velvet has been a blend which I find myself returning to, kind of like, going home. The mild flavor is magnificent and simple, like home cooking. The Room Note, astoundingly beautiful. As an aged product, it only gets better, and milder, and naturally sweeter. Burley, rain, sunshine; That's as simple as it gets. A quiet smoke for the humble. By another name, it is, peace-and-quiet.

I rate Velvet right off the scale, at 6-stars. I went through my stockpile and will be replenishing, as sure as God made little green apples.

The perfect gift, for this pipe smoker (Hint.., hint...).

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Velvet is Kentucky Burley with a topnote of something that I cant put my finger on . It takes two or three lightings to get going is about the only " con " with this blend . Other than that it is absolutely smooth ! It smokes well and cool and is one of my favorites in a clay ! I just cant place the flavoring . I hear people say it's like play doh but they have that confused with Paladin being the package color is similar . Velvet is not the play doh blend .

Pipe Used: Awsome in a Clay !

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/velvetpipetobacco.aspx

rduran1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rduran1 (4)

I am a big fan of this tobacco. It has a very pleasant natural flavor that doesn't overwhelm. All of the Velvet I have smoked has been produced by Pinkerton. Contrary to some reviewers" comments regarding other Pinkerton blends this tobacco has been consistently good. I like to smoke Velvet in the company of non-smokers or in the few restaurants that still permit pipe smoking. I regularly get compliments on the aroma. Recently I have gifted pipes to friends (note to other puffers: this is a great way to add new members to the pipe fraternity!) with pouches of different tobaccos to sample. Velvet has been the favorite on several occasions. Although it is not the easiest blend to find it is worth the search and at its cheap price should be bought in bulk. I would recommend this tobacco to anyone who is a burley fan, a new smoker or a seasoned smoker who does not smoke burleys. This blend is a winner and a great example of classic American burley.

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Finally received my freebie from Lane's that I requested back in January. I wasn't on the edge of my seat waiting, but I was curious. I don't get any of the Play-Doh references. This smells like light licorice to me. Dark brown cube/chop cut, easy to load, easy to smoke.

Not much in the flavor department, this one, but it's touted as a smooth smoke, and it surely is. Back when this blend was supremely popular, everyday smokers used gimmick pipes, filters, and means other than improving technique to reduce tongue bite. This blend was undoubtedly a response to that. I couldn't get this stuff to bite, even when I huffed. Very gentle on the tongue and palate, and that was my biggest issue. There just wasn't much flavor. This is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be these days (although Lane's may have changed the recipe somewhat), but neither is it anywhere close to a top-drawer burley. Other OTC's such as SWR or PA are superior to my taste. But if you want a very unassuming burley blend that is very mild and doesn't intrude, give this a spin.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (63)

Good smoke, easy on the wallet and quite consistent as far as taste and cut are concerned over the years. good all day smoke for those that love burley.

Pipe Used: Capri rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: Current production

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I've been working my way through a pouch of Velvet this week and have been very happily surprised.

It's smooth smooth smooth and the flavor is actually really good. If I sound incredulous, it is intentional. I didn't expect much, but wanted something simple and cheap to break in my two new pipes.

In the pouch. Burley Aroma - Sweet with a twang. Soft ribbon cut, good moisture.  Packs well with the Gravity fill method.  First light - good flavor if not a little boring, but when the bowl settles down it is a smooth ride from start to finish.

Flavor: 1st 1/4 of bowl, woodsy and slightly nutty. Midway a dark fruit flavor, hints of molasses, nice round burley nuttiness almost no woody notes now. The latter half of the bowls have gotten progressively better. Deep notes of dark sugar, hints of toasted bread and raw oatmeal. For me it is perfect for the drive to work with black coffee.

Leaves the pipes with that great 'pipey' aroma.

Just my 2 cents. I actually might prefer it to my venerable PA when I'm looking for a cheap easy smoke.

Pipe Used: Willard Executive

Age When Smoked: 2012

Purchased From: BP Gas

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Carter Hall.

StrangeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrangeSmoker (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Man I am very disappointed. This was one of the first tobaccos I bought when I first started smoking a pipe in 1996. I used to buy it by the tub. It had an absolutely mouth-watering aroma that was like cinnamon raisin English muffins. I couldn't get enough of it. But I bought some recently and something changed drastically. The aroma is no longer there. The taste isn't there, either. This doesn't seem to even be the same tobacco. What the heck happened? I know blends change over time, but this is ridiculous. I'm saddened because it used to stir up great memories for me whenever I'd catch a whiff of it. Reminded me of fishing and smoking out on our deck with my father. Not anymore. This sucks.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh Velvet, why must you be such an enigma?

Velvet is an old American standby. Its been gracing the shelves of grocery stores and gas stations for much longer than some of these new-fangled, fancy packaged smoking tobaccos. It's age should be an indicator of the blend, again, products that are not worth while do not last for as long as this product has.

Here is the problem. Where the hell is the flavor? The box says "America's smoothest smoke". It is smooth all right, it is so smooth it is bland. Water is also smooth, it does not mean it has a good flavor. The one upside is that it will not nip your tongue, heck, I do not think a shop vac could get this blend hot. Quite frankly, if it were not for the plumes of smoke emerging from my face I would never know if it is lit or not.

Here is the tricky part. I like the stuff. As much as I want to dislike it, I cant. For that little tiny bit of flavor that is there, I like it. It has some topping I cannot put my finger on. I have heard maple sugar, I have heard licorice, I couldn't tell you, but I like it. It is gentle, and subtle but very wholesome. It is the cream of wheat of the tobacco world. It may not taste the best, but its wholesome and satisfying.

I can't say good or bad things about this blend. In the end I say just go buy some and try it. It has a very inexpensive selling point and is relatively easy to find. Who knows, you may just love it. It works really well in a cob.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

Not bad. I like it. Yes, it does kinda smell like Play Do but that doesnt bother me. I do think its far better than Half & Half, about on par with Carter Hall and not quite as good as Prince Albert.

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

There's not really much to say about Velvet that can 'wow' it's namesake,it's a straight burley that will appeal to a mixed crowd and on that note it's a light burley blend.The scent of tobacco in the pouch comsists of fermented cranberries and light raisin,which is a topping.Overall it's a decent topping and remains low key as a light sweetness with the tobacco taste.The burley in Velvet is mild,smooth,lightly sweet/tart,and stays that way from start to finish.It's a nice blend in my opinion,burley blends like PA or KC normally offer a fuller taste so a light burley is primarily a stray cat among the drugstore blends.Velvet burns pretty evenly and normally leaves a nice little pile of white ash in the bowl.Tongue bite?not really unless your'e frantically puffing and hoping for a full-on burley taste.Overall I think Velvet is a nice blend for a burley fan who wants something a little different of the burley leaf but doesn't stray from the pack.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Not good. Not terrible, but not good. This review is based on one pouch only, but the tobacco was still moist so I don't think it's a case of it being past its prime. It doesn't bite or anything, there's just no character to it. Very light on flavor. What little flavor there is seems to be more in the vein of SWR than PA. This just seems like cheap, sub-par leaf to me. I really enjoy other inexpensive codger burleys, but this is cheap in the bad sense. Spend your coin on some real SWR or PA if you want a drugstore burley. Perhaps the tub product is superior to the pouch product, but what I smoked was utterly vapid.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

The tub aroma of this crimp-cut burley is of licorice and that same sweet-sour topping common to Half & Half which is reminiscent of amaretto, though as another reviewer noted, it may very well be hickory.

The light and brown burleys are husky and full of character which the generous sweetening (old literature mentions maple sugar) and flavoring compliment well. Chewing a bit of the leaf reveals some licorice which does not translate obviously into the smoke.

Though an all-day blend, Velvet has the rugged and flavorsome character needed to stave off vapidity. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

Countryboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Countryboy (3)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

When I smoked a pipe in the '70's-'80's, this was my all day smoke. I just tried it this past week and don't know what happened. Won't stay lit and I don't know what burley they're using but it isn't the same smoke. Got through a few pipes and put it aside.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Velvet (revised)... This stuff is the all American hot dog with yellow mustard of tobaccos, there are times when nothing else will due. That's my Velvet. Smooth and almost too mild, but when that urge for a mild burley comes, its Velvet time. Other than maybe the application of a different topping, this one is not too different from what I remember from my youth. I always keep at least 1 tub around. I find it a first class blender, and use it for that purpose quit a bit... On the other hand, I can see why a newer pipster would find this stuff not very inspiring, as there is a much greater selection today, with the internet and all. But when you finally had your fill of spending money on tobaccos that make all sorts of demands for proper enjoyment. Remember there are still all day blends, that's only demand is that you have a pipe and some matches, one is called Velvet. 3 Stars. My personal rating 4/5

leathertongue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leathertongue (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I smoked barrels of Velvet twenty or so years ago. I loved it. The flavor back then I would have described as unidentifiably "masculine" or "woodsy". Just bought a six-pack from JR's and I am very disappointed. The burley element is still there, but the casing is pronouncedly "Maraschino cherry", similar to Middleton's of that ilk (which, by the way, is still fantastic). This would be a good beginner's brand, but it's not for me anymore. Sorry. The Times They Are A-Changin'.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I couldn't get past the Play-Doh smell and taste. Both in the bag and in the bowl. Smoked one bowl, and threw the rest out!

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I smoked this once ,only once yuck! sorry there are alot better burleys out there!

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

Open the pouch and it smells like play dough. Not kidding. Unless the smell of play dough has changed in the last forty years.

The taste is pretty much like the smell. I don't buy this often but always seem to have some laying around somewhere. It's something I smoke once and then put away for a month or more. In fact I've still got some of it jarred up from a couple of years ago. I just don't want it very often. It's not unpleasant but it's something you get tired of quickly.

Thirty years ago I can remember it coming with rolling papers. I even tried rolling a few cigarettes with it and it really wasn't bad that way. SWR and PA also had their own rolling papers. I think Americas Smoothest Smoke was meant to be a cigarette tobacco with added flavorings.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another one of my blends that i keep coming back to. Upon opening a new tin, you are indeed greeted with sun ripened burley that has this irresistable aroma that is much different than the regular burleys that come off with a sweetened essence. This one boasts a delicious cherrylike flavour that is fresh and sweet, mild and slightly fruity to the palette as you smoke down a bowl gently and carefully as to grasp its unique taste. Smoke this in a clean briar and you will experience its true worth. Simply delicious. I give this blend three stars only because it isn't considered as an all day smoke, though it is part of my rotation that i will always keep on hand.

Tripp_655321 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripp_655321 (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

i haven't actually figured out how to smoke Velvet. It'sa bit moist and gunks up my pipe. I can't taste it until it's way to hot to smoke. Iwould assume that you should leave the pouch open for a while to let it dry a bit so you don't boil your tongue. when you hit a sweet spot, it smells pretty good. Girlfriend likes it but i can't always find the "sweet spot"

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

What more can I say about this one that hasn't already been said?

Tastes a bit sweet and candy-like right at the beginning, but quickly turns to a salty dull play-doh taste.

Even if I had been able to finish the bowl, this one would be a two-star at best. I was more concerned about the cheap corn cob that I was smoking it out of than I was about wasting tobacco, and I am a man who hates to waste consumables.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Another blend I bought when I was on a fixed budget, it's hard to describe. I never got much out of this as far as flavor, but I never got anything bad either. Neutral would be the best I can come up with.

SpaceCowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpaceCowboy (8)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I didn't find anything particularly off-putting about this smoke, it's just a bit plain. There is a slight hint of flavor, maybe like dr pepper with a bit of cherry. Neither the tobacco or aromatic additions have much presence, but at least it isn't overpowering. Most of the time i smoke near non-smokers they compliment the pleasent pipe tobacco smell, however i feel as though this stuff lacks that note. The room note isn't stinky like cigarettes or as overpowering as a cigar, it just isn't pleasant.

I can't say i would really recommend this as it has very little going for it, while there are many better blends for around the same price.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I decided to revisit this old timer as I have not had any in over 25 years. I love the package design, it always catches my eye. This is one of the OTC blends and it is nothing fancy, a crimp cut burley with a sweet fruity pouch aroma, like a cherry twisler. Not life saver cherry but there. It is an all brown blend and packs in the pipe very easy, it is a little moist but nothing an hour sitting in the pipe can't take care of. It lites very easy like PA does, and it rewards one with a nice sweet burley taste, mild and for me no bite at all. The room note is exceptional, creamy, smooth, and sweet, and this pretty much describes the taste here. I agree with with others that one can get a pack and it will be harsh or you can get one that is spot on. I was lucky and got one of these. This is a delicious blend for burleyphiles. I have no idea why I have not smoked this one in so long but I will be ordering a large tub to keep on hand. It burns down to a clean grey ash with no gunk at the bottom of the bowl. It is not expensive at all, and for what you get, it's a bargain. Try it!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

This is a tobacco that is not always consistent. One time it will be very smooth with no bite and the next time it may feel like a t-rex is gnawing on the inside of your entire mouth. When you get a bad batch like that simply cellar it for a year or two and it will improve considerably. It amazes me how many people throw away tobacco that can be fixed with simple aging. Generally speaking Prince Albert is a better smoke but when you get a good pouch it can be worth it.

When you open the pouch you will find the old playdough smell is still there. Thankfully it doesn't taste that way. This is another one of the old tobaccos that can be rolled as a cigarette and at one time it came with it's own rolling papers. Don't expect a heavy tobacco out of this.

Like many of the really cheap tobaccos if you can find an older box get it. The older the better. Many times in small towns you can find these brands in grocery stores sitting on the shelves for years without being touched. Both the flavor and quality can improve with age.

Rusticsmoke90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusticsmoke90 (6)

I recently traveled to the bad river indian reservation and bought a 14oz can of Velvet pipe tobacco. The can looked very intruiging. It was recommended by many natives that this is a good tobacco to use in pipes and ceremonies.

Many of you probably never heard of this but this is a great tobacco to mix with Kinnick-kinnick: a smoking mixture used by native Americans when tobacco was scarce.

After I bought it I opened it up and it smelled of chacolate and vinilla. I smoked a bit of it in a couple of my briar pipes and I thought that it lived up to its name: it was so smooth I could barely detect its flavor. I was expecting a more of a punch like Sir Walter Railiegh. It smells good and has a light aroma. All in all, it is a nice and enjoyable smoke.

The downfall of this tobacco is that it does come with toungebite.

I would recommend this tobacco to anyone who likes a light smoke.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I must admit,this is a very different type of burley 'drugstore blend'.Velvet is a slight unusual burley that's slight topped with something that I can't put my finger on,if you smell the pouch it reminds me of cherry twizzlers which always struck me as odd.Now the taste is something interesting that actually has made this a enjoyable tobacco..it reminds me of the scent of bacon cooking on the frying pan in the morning and the tobacco is mid-range in quality.I wouldn't recommend Velvet as an all-day smoke but can be a nice change up for the burleyphile.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am going to be kinder to this little tobacco than others have been. When you open the pouch there is a smell of something sweet added to the Burley. I don't know what it is, but it is not too strong and doesn't last long in the bowl. When lit, the first few puffs give off this same aroma. Again, the word is sweet. Not, mind you, like candy, but more like the sweetness from chewing tobacco or something like that. As you smoke, the flavoring disappears and the mild Burleys shine through. Now, the word is mild. Although the contents of the pouch seem overly moist when opened, the smoke is dry and cool. The taste does not change throughout the bowl. Even down to the last puff, the taste doesn't change. There is no bite. It burns cool to the end. The nicotine level is a little low for my taste, but that can be a real selling point to some smokers. And, speaking of selling points, this is the only Burley that I've found so far that the wife will tolerate. Most Burlies get tossed out with me in tow. Velvet is tolerated in small doses. The same cannot be said for Prince Albert, Granger, Half & Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, or any Burley from the tobacco shop. Velvet does what none of these could do!

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I feel there isn't much to talk about with this one. It is REALLY light & pretty bland. If you are in a pinch and need a quick smoke I suppose it would get you through. Just buy 1 pouch though......

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is burly and nothing else. It is VERY mild and VERY bland. I tried it on the recommendation of our clubs president. He reportedly loves the stuff, and buys it every chance he gets. I was amazed how smooth the blend was and how cool the smoke was. It has absolutely no tongue bite, but also does not stimulate the tongue in any other way. Like many others, I use burly blends to break pipes in, but I will have to say Prince Albert is still king in that category.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I had tried this blend early in my pipe smoking days, back when I smoked goopy black Cavendish exclusively. I was drawn to the little cardboard box because of the picture of that beautiful freehand pipe on it. Upon lighting up a bowl, my tongue was seared in pain. I think I threw the foil pouch out after a half bowl. Fast forward to today - my toungue has been toughened by fierce Virginia flakes, my smoking technique has matured, and I love other "old codger" burlies, such as Prince Albert, Half & Half, Carter Hall, etc. I picked up another pouch, got home and opened it. The smell is quite nice, I can't seem to identify it though it seems very familiar to me. The closest I can come to the fragrance is those orange jelly candies with the dark chocolate coating, although it is faint, not syrupy at all, rather natural. Excited, I packed a nice prince shaped pipe with the metal stinger in place of a filter and lit up. Hmm, it tastes very faintly like it smells, along with the typical bread and nut flavors of Burley. I settled back and gently puffed away when "it" hit me! Oh no! This stuff "stings" my mouth just like Kentucky Club. It's not a "bite" like one gets from a sharp Virginia, but a stinging which affects the entire interior of my mouth. It must be the strain of Burley in this and Kentucky Club, because I love Burley and smoke it almost daily. I'm guessing that the PH of this strain of Burley affects my body chemistry just wrong. I'm glad all Burley blends don't do this! Well, I seem to be the only pipe smoker in the surrounding area, so into the trash it goes. I still love that pipe on the box though! Again, if you like this, what a value.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Strong

This is the worst tobacco I have ever laid my hands on! My interest in drug store blends was recently spike, so I picked up a couple pouches of Carter Hall and Velvet to give these a go round. The CH was pretty decent, like I remember it. The Velvet, DISGUSTING!

I've noticed that the reviews of this over the past couple of years have been bad. They are well merited. This tobacco stinks when you light it up. It tastes and smells of burnt plastic. Don't let the delightful scent in the pouch fool you, this stuff will ruin a pipe. I will have to give the cotton ball treatment to the pipe I tried this in. I only can hope it will forgive me.

I only smoked a half-bowl, I used three pipe cleaners, all were pitch black when I was finished with them. DO NOT BY THIS TOBACCO IMPERSONATOR!

The good side of this experience: it reminded me why I do not smoke OTC blends. They are only a few cents cheaper than most hi quality bulk blends and they cannot even hold a candle to them in quality.

Folks, if you want a burley, go give Lane or MacBaren or Cornell and Diehl a try. Your pipes, tongue, and wife will thank you for it!

Illinois Hick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Illinois Hick (6)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Well, the package is right about one thing. It is a smooth smoke, though not the smoothest.

That's about where the positives for this blend end. I really like burley, but this one is lacking in the naturally sweet and nutty character that makes that variety so lovely. In fact, there was hardly any flavor at all. What little there was (way in the background) alternately between a slightly sour tang, to something unnatural like plastic. But on the whole, it was smooth but flavorless; kind of like the tobacco version of Natural Lite, only instead of tasting aluminum can, you taste plastic.

For a traditional American burley at drug store prices, Prince Albert and Carter Hall are MUCH better, with Carter Hall heading the class, IMO.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)

Update: I bought a package while visiting a distant city. I think it's been at least 15 years since I last smoked this tobacco. It has surely changed.

I smoked several bowls before deciding to update my review. The current stuff bit like a bulldog, and a plastic taste overpowered the burley. I was very disappointed as I remember Velvet to be an excellent tobacco. I knew a very rich older gentleman who swore by the L&M offering. I'll stick with Half & Half and the Prince.

Original review: I haven't seen Velvet anywhere in my area for a long time. I used to smoke it as a change of pace from my usual standby, Half & Half.

Velvet seemed less harsh than some of the other burleys, although it had less flavor. A good tobacco, all in all. I will eventually purchase a can on line to reminisce about the days when drugstore tobacco counters had dozens of brands to choose from, along with excellent selections of pipes.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm not a big Burley fan, but this stuff ain't as bad as some other OTC's I've tried. Overall it's pretty mild all the way around. Flavor, heat, room note, all in all a mild smoke. Nothing to rave about, but it'll do for a budget priced tobacco. I didn't taste the licorice flavor mentioned by some others, though I was more aware of a cigarette-like tobacco type flavor. Definitely better than anything Borkum Riff makes. I like this better than Prince Albert. For price and availability, you could do worse.

HongKongFooey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HongKongFooey (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a burley fan, I was very pleased with Velvet. It was smooth and smoked cool, with no bite (with proper technique, of course).

Some call this a "drugstore" blend, which makes no sense to me. What drugstores sell tobacco products? None I have come across and I'm in my late 30s.

Anyway, it is very affordable and readily available down at the grocery store at the bottom of the hill. Much cheaper than the fru fru tobaccos available online these days (many of which I like).

Velvet has a unique taste that I haven't really found in any other burley based blends. I feel it is due to fermentation rather than topping, but what do I know. The taste is a hair spicey and a hair licorice-y. It's pretty yummy.

The wife doesn't have to go out on the porch when I smoke a bowl of this. She said it smells kind of good.

I recommend it to anyone who enjoys burleys and who doesn't associate low-price with low quality.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ten to fifteen years ago, when this was easily available throughout East Tennessee, Velvet was one of my favorite blends. It was far more flavorful than Prince Albert or Carter Hall, and it was difficult to make it bite or burn too hot. About a month ago, I headed up to Johnson City and found a store that carried it. As I hadn't even seen a package of it in years, I gleefully bought a half-dozen pouches (prompting odd looks from my wife). Unfortunately, this tobacco seems to have gone through a sad transformation. In place of the smooth, creamy, natural smoke I once enjoyed, I encountered the taste of chemicals and (for some odd reason) burning plastic. The problem wasn't as pronounced in other pouches, but was still there. This might be a quality control issue, but it was unpleasant enough to turn me off to this tobacco.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

I have reviewed several drug store blends , I guess because I have smoked a lot to them at times. I think we all have when we are in a jam and can?t get our hands on whatever we please. I smoked a lot of this last summer because they carried it at a couple of gas stations I passed on my way to work and I have to say that it is not to shabby a tobac. It?s burley with no flavoring very similar to Prince Albert. It?s there when you need it and I will buy it again I?m sure. If you see this on the shelf buy it and enjoy, you won?t be sorry.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

=Revisiting this simple burley blend I have to think that the quality or manufacturing is just too inconsistant for me to mess with. My last foray resulted in some pretty bad tongue irritation and the flavor was not worth it. I don't think this is cured properly anymore and I've switched to Consolidated Gold Burley for this type of tobacco=

At the risk of stating the obvious, this is much better in the can than the pouch, especially after the can is open for a few days. I mainly use Velvet as a blending burley and find it's better for this than PA, which is stronger and nuttier. Velvet is as advertised; mid bowl a relatively rich, complex burley flavor does develop, with hickory overtones. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward, smooth and bordering on bland but never quite boring.

The burnt plastic aftertaste I notice in Granger and to a lesser degree in Velvet is even more in the background in the canned version.

Another unflavored, rustic American classic worth a visit now and then.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

I tryed this again. On my first review I must have caught a bad batch of this stuff because I like this tobacco! Mild,nutty, naturally sweet, and no bite. Has the aroma of raisins/prunes out of the can and when smoked a nice sweet nut like aroma that is very pleasant. It is not as strong as Granger but tastes a tad sweeter. This is just a good old fashioned sugar cased burley. If you want a nice no bullsh!t burley, spend the rest of your life on Velvet!

Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Ahhhhh...Velvet! When I saw some recent review of this blend, it brought back many memories. Back in my younger days (yep, some time ago,) I smoked Velvet to break in my new pipes because it was as mild a blend as I could find.

Velvet is Burley, pure and simple. It is fairly moist in the mylar pouch it comes in, but not so moist that it needs drying out. Of course, like Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Prince Albert, Sir Walter, etc...you may not be able to dry out this tobacco even if you tried. Whatever it is that keeps these blends young & fresh ought to be bottled and sold to women -- talk about making a fortune!

The smell is really very subdued. Of course, so is the flavor, and that's why I doubt I'll purchase another pouch anytime soon. My palate begs for bigger flavor these days. Still, many fellow tobaccoreviews.com members enjoy these simple blends and one could do a lot worse than Velvet.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Velvet appears to be cased with some sweet, licorice type flavoring. I could smell it in the pouch. Not bad, but quite different than most of the standard burley crowd. I found it pleasant to smoke for about half a bowl then I got a sour taste that I can only describe as hot jagermeister mixed with prince albert. Not my cup of tea.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (11)

This is more of an info note than a review. For under $2 a pouch, it's not a bad smoke. Just Burley with a slight sour smell in the pouch and slight sour taste when smoked. Velvet is currently made by Pinkerton. The date on the box and pouch "1998" is a copyright date. I think I have seen some with "2004", but I might be confusing this with one of my latest purchases of Half & Half (also made by Pinkerton). There is a freshness date on the box and pouch or can. EXAMPLE: "H055A" (from my latest Half & Half purchase) breaks down like this; "H" (Aug) stands for the month alphabetically ; "05" stands for the 5th day of the month. ; "5" (05) stands for the year (before 2000 ?) ; "A" is a lot code and may or may not be present. As I said ,this is a freshness date. The manufacture date is maybe up to a year before this date (I'm not sure about this). My info came from Pinkerton when I complained about my latest purchases of Half & Half.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

While scanning the tobacco shelf of my usual beer depot, I spotted, of all things, a box of Velvet. After the clerk handed it to me I noticed it was somewhat dusty and the date on the box was 1998, Pinkerton Tobacco Co. Upon opening it I noted a pretty strong smell and it was, of course, still fresh. What I have does not sound like what has been described here. This is more of an aromatic. It has a fairly strong smell and taste, sort of a licorice, anise, horehound that I can't exactly pin down. It's kind of like a souped-up Half & Half in that it has more of an added flavoring, similar to Half & Half, but stronger. It's pretty good, actually, which is sad because it sounds like the current stuff will be quite different. Oh, well. They didn't have but the one package, and I noticed the next time I went in there that the spot on the shelf had been taken by somethng else. I don't think this is an all day, every day smoke for me, but it's pretty good in cob, now and then. It has a stronger taste than something such as Dark Strong Kentucky. Pinkerton still lists Velvet on their site, so I'm a bit confused about who currently makes this tobacco. I'm not in love, but it's a bit disconcerting when you develop a taste for a blend and then it either gets changed or disappears.

Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a fine choice when you need to buy pipe tobacco from a convenience/grocery store. Indeed it is a godsend if you aren't a Half & Half, or Captain Black kind of guy. An undemanding, cheap, OTC burley, very much along the lines of Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Kentucky Club Mild.

A fresh pouch smells like Bourbon and Burley. If the smell puts you off at first, just air it a few days. You could do much worse...

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Now here is a very good, aptly named, simple, well behaved no frills Burley. Its smooth, creamy and nutty. It's mild and easy on the tongue. Like most burleys this sings in a cob, but also smokes great in a Meer or briar. This is one that can be smoked while doing any activity and if smoked to fast, does not loudly protest by biting. It packs easy, burns clean and even to the bottom of the bowl. Smoked slowly while relaxing with a beverage of choice, brings forth the creamy nutty flavor a good burley will. The price is also agreeable.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally enjoy very simple burley blends that cost next to nothing and this falls into that group. Like most blends of this sort Velvet is a decent smoke to enjoy while engaged in some activity since it is undemanding and low key. Sometimes these over the counter blends can be preferable to the odd flavored aromatics in the jars at the local tobacco shops. Cheap burleys like this great for reducing the overpowering and over the top flavoring in some aromatics by blending it in with them. So even if you hate this tobacco there is some use for it. There is definitely a odd hint of flavor in Velvet that is hard to identify. This smoke gets better after it is allowed to age after being opened, it gets rid of that hint of sour mash or whatever is in there. I think it could grow on a regular user who likes burleys.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)

04-19-2005

I am in the midst of a "battle of the drug store burleys" as I write. Earlier this week I bought a pouch each of Velvet and Prince Albert. They were $2.49 each for a 1 1/2 ounch pouch. That is $1.65 an ounce, or $26.24 a pound. So, neither is a cheap tobacco, either in price or in quality. There are a number of bulk "premiums" available online for that price.

Velvet is definitely the milder smoke and easier on my tongue; though neither caused that much of a problem, PA was hotter on my tongue than Velvet. I was able to puff away to my heat's content and suffered no bite for my vigorous efforts. The scent in the pouch is pleasant. One match and it smoked like a dream to the bottom of the pipe. I had no problem with condensation or "gurgle."

But Velvet did not have the strength of taste or scent that I was hoping for. If I was on the road and out of tobacco I would buy it. However, I will not go looking for it. Velvet must be doing something right for enough people though. It has been around since I can remember and I can remember back about 50 years.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Doing my own tour of the old "drug store" tobac's, I've spend some time with this blend. My intro to this blend was in college when I smoked up a pouch bought in the student union book store. I recall a reasonably pleasant smoke but it tongue bit me big time. So I set it aside for all these years. A couple of months ago I bought several old pocket tins, unopened, and have smoked a little from each, as well as from a newly purchased foil pack ($1.75 about a month ago) I got at the local grocery store. My oldest tin, with no bar codes, was manufactured by Liggett and Myers; the newest by Pinkerton but referencing "The Liggett Group". My pouch just says Pinkerton.

The new pouch revealed a slightly moist, unexciting burley that packed and lit easily. Not much casing, if any, here. A hint of sourness behind a simple burley smoke. Didn't bite me at all this time, wasn't wet in the bowl. I probably won't go back to this very much. I'd prefer PA or Kentucky Club, as personal preference.

The old tobac, however is a different thing! Very dry in the tins (no suprise, it's years or decades old), smokes very cool and has a nicely understated aroma that I believe is from a fermentation as opposed to casing. I wish I could describe it, just a tiny bit sweet but with an honest burley taste in the foreground. The older tins are a wonderful smoke and I'll smoke all of the old stuff I can get my hands on. (3/05)

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Packs and lights easily. A one dimentional blend that has very little flavor or anything else to offer. A blend that will leave plenty of goop in your pipe. Even though a drugstore tobacco, it sinks to the depths of tobacco hell like no other I have smoked. A total waste of time...and pipe cleaners.

cliffordparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cliffordparker (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is my "work smoke" and my go to when out of my favorite blends. (also burley based)

This is a burley and, of course, it is going to bite if you smoke it too fast or hard. Take small slow "sips" and this tobacco will burn smooth all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I am confused about the Ligett & Myers listing since the package I have in front of me says 2004 Pinkerton Tobacco Co.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I think the long and short of this is that if you appreciate Burley, you will find this smoke enjoyable, and if you don't like Burley, you won't like this smoke. All in all, I found it to be smooth, well behaved, and fairly well tasting if somewhat too mild.

Don't be put off my it's relatively low rating...the way most people purchase anything will tend to create a bias giving relatively low rates to the cheaper, and most available blends such as this.

One of my favorite tobaccos, Marlin Flake, has a total of 26 very favorable ratings. Deservably so. However, it is fairly expensive, and not available at the corner market everywhere. In other words, practically everyone who has bought it has some experience with Virginia tobacco before, and knows they like the genre, before they go through the effort to find, and shell out the money to buy, a can of Marlin Flake.

Not so with Velvet and other cheap and available tobaccos. It is very easy to purchase a pouch "on a whim" without knowing whether or not you even appreciate the general type of tobacco. Therefore, you are going to get a lot of people buying it who don't like the type, and therefore aren't going to like that particular blend.

If Marlin Flake was available in every drugstore for $2 a pouch (heaven!), I guarantee you there would be a much lower rating, simply because you would have people buying it who don't appreciate the genre. And I think much of the negative rating of Velvet is due to the same sort of thing.

This is a smooth tobacco, little or no topping, with a pleasant, if not full, burley taste. You can certainly do worse.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I realy wanted to like this tobacco. I tried hard to, but, in the end I just had to give up. I needed my tounge. The bite from this tobacco, is overwhelming. No matter how I paked it, or how slow I sipped my pipe, I was rewarded with tounge bite. What made me try to like this stuff? The taste. I loved the flavor of this tobacco! Almost ginger in flavor, and a good tobacco flavor to boot! The aroma is fantastic, and the room note did not chase people away. However, the @&*#! bite, could not be tolerated. After about half a pouch, over a weeks time, I just had to give up. At one point, I thought I permanently cooked my toung. Velvet: smooth, rich, luxurious. NOT!

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

If you are looking for a cheap burley you can certainly do worse than Velvet. Although I usually don't care for burley blends, I bought a pouch of this because my friend said his father smoked it and he said he missed the smell. Be fore I gave him the pouch to take with him, curiosity got the better of me and I tried a few bowls. I have to say I was surprised! Although nothing spectacular it was certainly passable. It reminded me of cigarrettes and I could barely notice any flavoring. I have to say though- this stuff truly lives up to its name. It is perhaps the smoothest smoke I have ever tried. It smokes effortlessly. Unfortunately there is nothing to keep me buying more. Try it out though before you try any nasty "burley light-without a bite" in the jar stuff!

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

My mentor in pipe smoking went through many a can of this blend, so I'm sort of biased for it. It was one of the first tobaccos I ever smoked and it's never left my rotation for long. There is no casing to this blend, and the pouch aroma comes from Velvet's processing and fermenting techniques. Most of the other reviewers hated it- I love the stuff. It's cut in what I call a crimp cut and is one of the easiest blends to pack in a bowl. It can bite a little if you're not careful, but overall it stays fairly cool. It's one of the best tobaccos for building a cake in a new pipe that I've ever found and the odd aroma won't stay in the bowl if you'd like to swap the pipe to another blend. I prefer Velvet as a nice "wake me up" smoke with some strong French Roast. It has enough nicotine to get you going and the taste is mild enough for your first smoke of the day. An excellent OTC blend and a pretty decent burley overall.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't really care for this blend. The aroma from the pouch just didn't agree with me. I thought that it had a sour mash smell to it. Whatever it is, it's too much. It certainly does stay moist, no matter how much exposure it gets. I open my pouch and check the contents each day and it's still fresh after a few weeks. It smoked well but once again, I didn't like the slightly sour taste and aroma. Maybe it's just my taste buds but I won't try it again. If I want a simple, pure Burley smoke I'll stick with Prince Albert. "Different strokes..."

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)

What a surprise to see this tobacco reviewed twice today! I have only just finished a bowl of this tobacco myself. About two years ago, I purchased a pouch of this in an Albertson's grocery store in Montana. I tried a few bowls, found it dull, and put it aside. Somehow it found its way into my suitcase when I moved to Asia. Earlier today, I came across the small, red, wrinkled pouch, and was amazed to find it moist and aromatic still. I tried it again, and now I wonder why on earth I was so dismissive at the campfire in Montana. It is not an exciting tobacco, but it is a smooth, mild smoke that does not demand very much. Velvet is a memorable burley, with a slight, enjoyable sour taste. Unfortunately, this tobacco seems to become rather bitter after about half a bowl. This suits me fine, however, for by this time, I've usually had enough. It is a perfect companion to a good book or some mellow jazz. Velvet will, I think, always have a place on my shelf.

GLC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GLC (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

After reading Jon's earlier review, I was not sure I wanted to try this blend, although I'd heard from others that it was a decent tobacco (for an classic 'drug store' style blend). Fate intervened in the form of a 14 oz can of Velvet I acquired at a 'garage sale' one weekend. The unopened can taunted me for a couple of days till I was bold enough to give it a try. I cracked the vacuum seal to find an aroma that smelled not so sour as 'boozy', as if the blend had been topped with some kind of alcohol. Whether this is true, or whether this is a fermented tobacco aroma, I'm not sure, but it has a rich and appealing aroma. The tobacco itself is mottled brown and coarse cut, and is very soft to the touch, not at all tacky or clumpy as some cavendished blends are. The tobacco loaded and packed easily, and upon lighting, delivered a smooth, nutty, but very mild smoke. Expecting a much stronger flavor from this burley, I proceeded slowly, and the bowl soon went cold. On relight, the smooth and mild flavor resumed, both surprising and encouraging me to puff away and enjoy the ride. There is undoubtedly some kind of topping in the blend, but it was neither obtrusive nor distracting, and the mild, no-nonsense burley flavor continued throughout the bowl and down to a grey-white ash-topped dottle. Occassionally blowing back into the bowl kept any moisture from accumulating in the stem, resulting in a fairly dry smoke, with only one pipecleaner run through about mid-way in the 45 minute session. Several subsequent bowls, in a variety of pipe types and sizes, resulted in the same experience, with the exception of a hotter smoke in the smallest pipes, and the coolest (and dryest) in a meerschaum calabash. This very mild blend should offend few smokers, but likewise, the mildness won't impress those who expect a more rich and bold-flavored bowl. If you expect all burleys to be rough and hot smoking, this blend may surprise you. It is, as advertised, a smooth smoke.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

With an aroma that I can only describe as sour, this blend had me weary from the get go. So odd was the aroma of the first pouch I opened, that I bought several more from various locations to see if I had just stumbled upon a bad lot of it. It seems not, all of them had the same sour aroma. Once I got past the aroma and packed a bowl of it, the acrid taste replaced the aroma as my chief annoyance. Also, this blend is so heavily cased that it began to gurgle almost immediately. It took me an average of a dozen pipe cleaners to maintain a moisture free smoke with this blend, an amount of work that is not equal to the amount of pleasure it provided.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I started typing this review, but fell asleep twice already. Guess my enthusiasm matches the flavor of this blend. The Play Doh aroma in the pouch conjures up more interesting childhood memories than the taste of Velvet. I'll concede that it's a smooth smoke, but the flavor is near flat and more boring than watching paint dry. I suppose it was once kind of popular because it's such an unobtrusive smoke that the regulars didn't mind puffing it. An undemanding mixture for the undemanding smoker. But, even still, I'd rather smoke this than Middleton Apple or a few of the Borkum Riff blends. I recommend you smoke something with more flavor and character. You won't have to look far to find it.

kymidnight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kymidnight (3)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This stuff tastes like an old dirt gym sock that has been used to clean up a puppies "accident". Flavor is mild, which is fortunate, because if it were any stronger it would got from horrible to a form of torture. Wife wasn't fond of the room note, and she's usually pretty easy. I cannot realistically imagine a scenario where I would be tempted to ever smoke this again. Ever.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)

Overall a nice pouch pipe tobacco. Hard to keep lite.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The best thing I can say about this tobacco is its boring. Lacks flavor and has no character . The worst thing I can say it it does bite the tongue. It is difficult to stay lite as well. It will remind you of your childhood in that it does smell like play do.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

The other reviewers here were spot on. It tastes like play doh smells. Enough said.

TobaccoOnFire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoOnFire (8)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

America's smoothest smoke my ass.

I call this my mystery tobacco because...I CAN'T FIND WHAT THE HECK I SHOULD DO WITH THIS SH*T!!!

I bought this blend to go with my new Bjarne Viking Classic Dublin. and i am ashamed to have this stuff grace my pipe.

O how shall i count the ways i hate thee...

For one this blend bites me no matter how i smoke...and its not uncommon for me to get threw a bowl with just one light.

Its a small bite not much but a constant bite that distracts from the flavor which is were this blend shines.

It taste very nutty with some fruity sweetness to it and its a very good taste and i would love to smoke this stuff if it would stop biting me.

And thats not it it also burns very hot which irks me to no end.

But alas there is some hope i find if you carefully play around with this its a great blender.]

I mixed it with 2 blends a Blenders Gold Black Cavendish mixture that was too sweet for me and my own blend that is Carter Hall mixed with cigar leaf and the result was my Black Cavendish got alot more mellow and more enjoyable and the cigar blend was mellowed out alot so i can actaully smoke the stuff without needing a drink.

While this stuff does have potential as a blender its crap as a single smoke.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just another mass produced cheaply made sticky tobacco. Don't waste your time with it.

Colby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colby (9)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of this the other day because my great grandfather smoked velvet his whole life. Nothing else. The pouch was only 2 dollars or so. The box says America's Smoothest Smoke and in it's defense the tobacco did produce a lot of smoke, however with not much flavor. When you open the pouch there is an overwhelming smell of cherry and almost a rubber smell. Someone likened it to the smell of cherry nibs from twizzlers, and I could smell that similarity. However, once smoked there is little cherry flavor at all and more of a smoky "industrial" flavor. Some people say plastic, I kind of tasted rubber or motor oil or something. Don't know how my great grandfather smoked this stuff all day. For whatever reason, my bowl burned awfully hot from the start.

If you really want to try it for yourself, it's not pricy at all, but my bet is you could find something you like for not much more money.

NJE03 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NJE03 (5)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I smoked some of this given to me by a friend. He went on to throw away the pouch. The bite that Velvet provides can be intense no matter how slowly it is smoked. It has never failed to leave my mouth feeling a bit scorched. In addition it tastes rather bland and does not have a pleasant room note by any means.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For a drug-store brand this is pretty decent, the flavors are basic and it stays lit easily. It smokes good no matter Sophmore smoker. My Personal Notes give this a 6.1 if you want a better starter go with Carter Hall.

First there is something really bad about this tobacco, I could hardly stomach it, it started to taste very acidic in the back of my mouth, I kept wanting to drink something to get rid of the flavor, I had to downgrade this to a 1 star and a .2 out of 10.

I have also done a video review of this tobacco. view it at

or at