Rum cured Cavendish, but mild.

BrandSmoker's Pride
Taste
2.3
vandiabolus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vandiabolus (7)

after reading the reviews, i had to try it. pull easy on it, smoke it cool...let the smoke hit the back of your tongue and roof of your mouth, and you can taste the rum. if it's harsh, or you don't taste it, you're trying too hard. it's subtle, in my opinion. bowl after delicious bowl, all day long at work. come home, and the aroma is very faint in my small apartment, with the tobacco smell being little to none at all. it's cheap...or rather, "economically advantageous" for me. even with the ridiculous wa state taxes the bag was 23 dollars for 12 ounces. CB or BR would have cost about 70 or 80 bucks for the same weight, (and 3 times the tongue bite) I dried mine out a tad, all in all a great smoke in my opinion. i hope others give it a shot. i would like to try some of their others as well, their black cavendish got some good reviews.

RJJones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJJones (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an average cavendish. It would be an ok everyday tobacco. Smokes better in larger-bowled pipes... it needs a little room to breathe since it tends to burn a little hot.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

When reviewing inexpensive blends of tobaccos, the difficulty seems that we unconsciously compare them against their premium brethern and, unfortunately, dismiss them with a star or two. I cut my teeth (or, more appropriately, burned my tongue) on so-called drugstore brands. I still, on occasion, grab a bag off the shelf. That being said, I think that this mixture compares very favorably with Rum & Maple. It is a good choice for the beginning pipe smoker on a budget or for those of us who simply want to smoke a bowl or two while working on a project. It is not a tobacco to reflect on and weigh its merits. It burned evenly and without the strong aroma that one encounters when opening the bag (this is bulk stuff). Although a bit moist, it lit right up. It burns a bit hot, but self-control cured that problem. Because this is an inexpenisve blend, quality/consistency may be the real issue with these types of tobaccos. Perhaps I was lucky but overall, this provides for a good smoke.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Cheap flavored Burley. Huge smell in the pouch that did not transcend to the tongue. Just bitter Burley that had a smidgen of flavoring added to it.

Positives - burns evenly and, thank goodness, quickly!

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

March 11, 2005: There doesnt seem to be too much difference between this and Lane's Rum & Maple, other than that this blend seems to burn hotter. It also appears to have quite a bit more casing than Rum & Maple. Leaves a pretty good after taste, but there isnt much taste while its burning and it smells nice burning as well. 6/10

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this on impulse in a liquor store and having enjoyed another Smokers' Pride product early in my return to piping. I didn't get much flavor from this pouch but it was quite a bit drier than I prefer. Have to put this on the "o.k. for beginners list". Not a bad tobacco, just not much to recommend it.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

When I opened the bag of this blend I was immediately overpowered with the aroma of hot-buttered rum. I couldn?t believe how rich the smell was. The smoking however was a different story. The tobacco was rather mild and I could hardly detect any rum flavor. It has a mild sweetness and I could taste some rum on exhaling but for the most part it tasted and smelled like a normal, Burley blend. It was a pleasant surprise because I thought because this appeared to be so heavily cased that I wouldn?t be able to stand the taste for more than a bowl at a time. I don?t know if I will buy this again but I didn?t dislike it either.

Not that much of a real rum taste here. As with all the Smoker's Pride blends, it's needs to be dried out and smoked slowly or your tongue and pipe will not be pleased. It's a lawn mower's smoke with not much else going for it. It just makes a two star rating because there's worse tobacco out there. Spend a little more money and buy the better rum flavored tobaccos. You'll be happier if you do.

kymidnight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kymidnight (3)

I like this tobacco more than I think I should for a cheap bulk bag of the stuff. It's not strong, but very pleasant to smoke. It will never win any awards, but it's a nice easy smoke. Good all day smoke that doesn't overwhelm or cost a fortune. The rum flavor is very light, but I suspect this will blend very nicely.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Friends don't let friends smoke Lane's baccy. This is the Gallo wine of pipe tobacco. I can't imagine anyone buying this stuff unless they were so destitute they couldn't even afford PA.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

S.Pr. Rum… Tin/bag aroma is a very familiar vanilla, much the same as found in countless other blends, which by the way is very pleasant. I found no rum note, but it could still be there, maybe you'll find it. Unlike some aromatic blends, this tobacco does not have a sticky feel to it, which is nice when driving, and you want to load a fresh pipe, without sticky fingers. Somehow with a tobaccos that comes packaged in a plastic bag, some “airing-out” time just sounds right, so a half hour or so, outdoors in the sun, always makes me feel better, does it help, who knows.

One thing worth mentioning, this stuff will burn like a grass fire, If loaded loosely, so I load the bowl with a firm tamp or two, in several layers, which does the job of slowing things down. Once lit properly, the first few puffs revealed some of that nice vanilla, found in the aroma, but soon fades into that familiar burly flavor, similar to a OTC drug store burley, no frills, no bite or bitterness, just clouds of wonderful smoke. So is it a aromatic blend? You decide. All in all this baccy is not my top choice, but I find it quite smokeable. Whoever blended this stuff sure knew his market, and did a fine job of keeping OTC tobacco lovers like us happy. Because as much as I enjoy burleys, and try to have a open mind with my reviews, I'm afraid I'm biased to how a burley should taste, and that is with some resemblance to PA, SWR or the like, and this one is headed in the right direction. For my dime, I prefer this over many at any cost. Would I buy more, maybe down the line, but for now this spot in my stash is well covered, but I would recommend it as a "should try" without hesitation. 3 stars.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Sometimes you get lucky with bulk poly bags of common aromatic blends found at drug stores and the cigarette outlet stores. Smoker's Pride Rum Blend is just not one of them.

A dull, lifeless smoke. Monumentally unimpressive on virtually all counts with no positive sensory experience to speak of...total neutrality. I'm a guy who likes a little kick in my sweet aromatic tobacco. This tobac is the blahs.

Where did the rum curing go? This smokes like tobacco you take home from the store and then suspect that its been sitting on the shelf since the Carter-Reagan election.

Smokes hot and a little bitter, also. What do you do when you get leaf like this? Maybe I can mix it with one of the exceptional rum blends out there like Milan's Sunset Rum and cut the losses.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like to blend your own mixes this is quite useful. I take a bag of this stuff and add Latakia and suddenly it becomes very smokeable. I liked my own blend so well that I bought a couple more bags of this. Not nearly as moist as most other Smokers Pride blends I don't taste any run in this stuff. Perhaps the blender was drunk on rum when he named it. Very cheap and comes in a 12 ounce bag. If you are into blending then grab a bag.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Gota call it like it is, to much of nothing going on here. Yes the price is nice, and you could mix it up with some half and half, but why bother, thats all I got to say,. Happy jack 1 star, only cause you can keep it as a blend.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well ive had great luck with most of the smokers pride blends, but this one i wasnt overly impressed with(i guess when your cheap you can strike out from time to time)Upon opening the sack, the pouch aroma was pleasant but very difficult to consider this a rum cured blend, more of a lightly cased burly(which i guess it is, but just not topped with rum)the cut was less than desirable, a real rough cut un-consistant with any other smokers pride blends ive had to date. Upon lighting the aroma was pleasant but not remenicant of rum, more like roasted walnuts and pecans. It took a bit to keep it lit but when it took OHHH man look out this one burns rather fierce and hot. For what i paid i cant be disappointed, i wont buy this particular blend again, but i wont toss it out either. The bag can be well salvaged by blening with a bit of black cavendish, this adds a bit of sweetness and masks the heat a bit, it can also take the edge off those cheap cherry blend you have laying around, id find it difficult to smoke this one on its own unless i had nothing else around to fill the pipe. Its not terrible, but its no show stopper either.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a bag of this out of curiosity, and when I had opened it I was initially disapointed. The way it was cut seemed very "ragged" and uneven, and I got an overwhelming aromoa of (to me) vanilla. After I had smoked a few bowls I was rather surprised. It did not bite, smoked well although I really could not taste any rum flavouring. What I could taste was a mild burley and a hint of a "rum like" taste. There was a slight bitter after taste, but I suspect this may fade in time as it ages.

Overall it isn't that bad, there are no bells or whistles and nothing to get exicted about, but it is a decent (very) mild burley blend. Although I won't rush out to get another bag, I won't bypass it the next time I see it.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Picked up a 12 oz bag of this today for under ten bucks. Since I first discovered the art of blending my own I've found that no matter what a tobacco tastes like out of the container I can always remove most of the flavoring and use it for blending.

This is suppose to be cured rum. After reading some other reviews I have to say I must have gotten an old bag because there was no rum smell nor taste to it in any way for me. All I get is burley and even that is fairly mild, almost like a cigarette tobacco. Those silly plastic bags are not really air tight and likely the flavoring has drifted away over time. Being very dry it burns rather hot but did not bite.

I can say some positive things about this tobacco mixture. It is nearly flavorless which will make it an excellent choice for me in my own experiments. It is not heavily cased like most smokers pride varities and even the plastic bag taste isn't there. It is also very dry. I've had some of their offering that I had to air out for a week before I could even get them to light.

If you are looking for flavor then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a great room note then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a cheap burley to make your own blends or cut some other blend that's too strong then grab a bag. I intend to purchase another couple of bags myself and may even jar up some to see how well it ages.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

The product produced by Lane Limited is probably the best rum flavored cavendish you'll find in the bargain tobacco catagory. Real tobacco flavor with just the right amount of rum casing and surprisingly, no bite at all. This stuff is a real treat at about $8.00 for a large 12 ounce bag of it. Available at select drug stores and discount tobacco shops. Also widely available online. I'm very impressed and will smoke this regularly.

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)

I originally bought this bulk to blend with other tobaccos, and smoked some of it (as I always do) before dumping it in the crock to age with the other mixture. A bit drier than other comparable blends, but not bad. Pleasant, a light rum flavor upon exhaling, and overall one I'd buy again, but in the smaller pouch, rather than the 12 ounce bag. A comfortable, relatively smooth bulk, and certainly one which adds its own rum aroma to another blend. I've smoked a lot worse, and a few better blends, so I'd rate it just to the positive side of middle-of-the-road.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)

I was immediately attracted to the aroma as I literally could smell it from almost a foot away through the bag. The Price was right at only $7.99 for a 12 oz. bag. It was very easy to pack and just as easy to light requiring only one light to get it started. The rum flavoring is mildly noticeable but never overbearing. Actually I was expecting a bit more flavoring, but I cannot complain overall as it has a nice flavor to it without over powering the natural tobacco flavoring. Overall I would recommend this to any flavored tobacco fan, but anyone who prefers rich English blends will not enjoy this as compared to that it is rather mild. I would definitely keep this in my rotation of tobaccos I normally smoke although I tend to keep a good selection of choices on hand at a given time.