Rum cured Cavendish, but mild.

BrandSmoker's Pride
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste
2.1

The Virginia cavendish is a little grassy and citrusy. The burley is lightly nutty, toasty sweet with a touch of wood and some earth. The rum is mild and sweet, and though it does sublimate the tobaccos to some extent, you will notice the tobaccos in the background. The nic-hit is mild. Moderately dry out of the bag, it burns fairly well and smooth with a consistent flavor, and it won't bite or get harsh. Requires very few relights, and has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. A decent, toned down all day smoke for those who don't want to think about it as they go about their business. Makes lots of smoke, and the room note won't offend anybody.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Cheap flavored Burley. Huge smell in the pouch that did not transcend to the tongue. Just bitter Burley that had a smidgen of flavoring added to it.

Positives - burns evenly and, thank goodness, quickly!

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Sometimes you get lucky with bulk poly bags of common aromatic blends found at drug stores and the cigarette outlet stores. Smoker's Pride Rum Blend is just not one of them.

A dull, lifeless smoke. Monumentally unimpressive on virtually all counts with no positive sensory experience to speak of...total neutrality. I'm a guy who likes a little kick in my sweet aromatic tobacco. This tobac is the blahs.

Where did the rum curing go? This smokes like tobacco you take home from the store and then suspect that its been sitting on the shelf since the Carter-Reagan election.

Smokes hot and a little bitter, also. What do you do when you get leaf like this? Maybe I can mix it with one of the exceptional rum blends out there like Milan's Sunset Rum and cut the losses.

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)

I love BURLEY!!! and I love Lane Limted Buttered Rum its one of my favorite pipe tobacco blends to smoke in the morning but with money being low I was stressed out about having to purchase more of the stuff so I began looking into Smokers Pride Cured Rum and in my review with Smokers Pride Vanilla Cavendish I explain my situation on my thoughts with Smokers Pride in general and looking for a replacement for Lanes Buttered Rum Smokers Pride Cured Rum was the runner up. With all the negative reviews on this blend I knew this was the right pipe tobacco for me to try and boy I was sure glad I did. Smokers Pride Cured Rum taste so much like Lanes Buttered Rum and that makes sense because there both Lane products but almost one in the same except for a few differences. Cured Rum is not as sweet as Buttered Rum and has no Virginia tobacco in it but a total burley which makes up for that, it still is sweet and also not as robust in the rum flavor but the rum is still there and taste very smooth and consistent all the way through. Cured Rum also comes moist but that's not a big deal at all because it lights up and smokes just fine still. I personally like the cut of the tobacco and packs well in a pipe and the stuff does not burn hot and will not bite unless you smoke like a locomotive, it has no chemicals and the quality of tobacco is far from junk. It is not super complex but gives off a relaxing exsperiance and goes good with coffee which is always a plus. It has alittle nicotine in it nothing hardcore but still gets the job done and gives off a decent room note. Rum Cured has a nice odor coming from the bag and does best if stored in a jar if you don't smoke heavy. I must add that I absolutely love the bright colors of the tobacco and the golden cavendish just blends so nice together, I have a thing with beautiful tobacco colors and this blend has that. For the price you cannot go wrong and there's alot to appreciate with this blend but all and all Smokers Pride by Lane does a pretty dang good job with there pipe tobacco line if there premium pipe tobaccos are out of the budget you can still enjoy Lane Limited products and there's nothing wrong with it at all. I smoke Smokers Pride Vanilla Cavendish in place of RLP-6 or Captain Black (white pouch) and now Cured Rum in place of Buttered Rum its a win WIN situation so I recommend this blend to novice pipe smokers and anyone who needs to save a few bucks because for some of us things are getting tight and tobacco is getting no cheaper these days. Go and grab yourself a bag today and pack a nice bowl of Cured Rum I doubt time you'll not like it at all, pipe yuppy's will talk trash about these so called OTC chemical filled pipe tobaccos all the time because it does not come in a fancy can and its not popular to admit this is good stuff but let me tell you B*'!$h×t!!! I love all types of pipe tobaccos even English blends but prefer aromatics and burleys so the way. Do not be afraid Smokers Pride is good stuff, thanks for reading my review, God bless all you fellow pipe smokers and God bless America, don't forget to stand up for your smoking rights and support your American tobacco farmers because they need it right now.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob and Peterson

Age When Smoked: 39

Similar Blends: Lane Limited Buttered Rum.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

When reviewing inexpensive blends of tobaccos, the difficulty seems that we unconsciously compare them against their premium brethern and, unfortunately, dismiss them with a star or two. I cut my teeth (or, more appropriately, burned my tongue) on so-called drugstore brands. I still, on occasion, grab a bag off the shelf. That being said, I think that this mixture compares very favorably with Rum & Maple. It is a good choice for the beginning pipe smoker on a budget or for those of us who simply want to smoke a bowl or two while working on a project. It is not a tobacco to reflect on and weigh its merits. It burned evenly and without the strong aroma that one encounters when opening the bag (this is bulk stuff). Although a bit moist, it lit right up. It burns a bit hot, but self-control cured that problem. Because this is an inexpenisve blend, quality/consistency may be the real issue with these types of tobaccos. Perhaps I was lucky but overall, this provides for a good smoke.

kymidnight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kymidnight (3)

I like this tobacco more than I think I should for a cheap bulk bag of the stuff. It's not strong, but very pleasant to smoke. It will never win any awards, but it's a nice easy smoke. Good all day smoke that doesn't overwhelm or cost a fortune. The rum flavor is very light, but I suspect this will blend very nicely.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Friends don't let friends smoke Lane's baccy. This is the Gallo wine of pipe tobacco. I can't imagine anyone buying this stuff unless they were so destitute they couldn't even afford PA.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

S.Pr. Rum… Tin/bag aroma is a very familiar vanilla, much the same as found in countless other blends, which by the way is very pleasant. I found no rum note, but it could still be there, maybe you'll find it. Unlike some aromatic blends, this tobacco does not have a sticky feel to it, which is nice when driving, and you want to load a fresh pipe, without sticky fingers. Somehow with a tobaccos that comes packaged in a plastic bag, some “airing-out” time just sounds right, so a half hour or so, outdoors in the sun, always makes me feel better, does it help, who knows.

One thing worth mentioning, this stuff will burn like a grass fire, If loaded loosely, so I load the bowl with a firm tamp or two, in several layers, which does the job of slowing things down. Once lit properly, the first few puffs revealed some of that nice vanilla, found in the aroma, but soon fades into that familiar burly flavor, similar to a OTC drug store burley, no frills, no bite or bitterness, just clouds of wonderful smoke. So is it a aromatic blend? You decide. All in all this baccy is not my top choice, but I find it quite smokeable. Whoever blended this stuff sure knew his market, and did a fine job of keeping OTC tobacco lovers like us happy. Because as much as I enjoy burleys, and try to have a open mind with my reviews, I'm afraid I'm biased to how a burley should taste, and that is with some resemblance to PA, SWR or the like, and this one is headed in the right direction. For my dime, I prefer this over many at any cost. Would I buy more, maybe down the line, but for now this spot in my stash is well covered, but I would recommend it as a "should try" without hesitation. 3 stars.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well ive had great luck with most of the smokers pride blends, but this one i wasnt overly impressed with(i guess when your cheap you can strike out from time to time)Upon opening the sack, the pouch aroma was pleasant but very difficult to consider this a rum cured blend, more of a lightly cased burly(which i guess it is, but just not topped with rum)the cut was less than desirable, a real rough cut un-consistant with any other smokers pride blends ive had to date. Upon lighting the aroma was pleasant but not remenicant of rum, more like roasted walnuts and pecans. It took a bit to keep it lit but when it took OHHH man look out this one burns rather fierce and hot. For what i paid i cant be disappointed, i wont buy this particular blend again, but i wont toss it out either. The bag can be well salvaged by blening with a bit of black cavendish, this adds a bit of sweetness and masks the heat a bit, it can also take the edge off those cheap cherry blend you have laying around, id find it difficult to smoke this one on its own unless i had nothing else around to fill the pipe. Its not terrible, but its no show stopper either.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this on impulse in a liquor store and having enjoyed another Smokers' Pride product early in my return to piping. I didn't get much flavor from this pouch but it was quite a bit drier than I prefer. Have to put this on the "o.k. for beginners list". Not a bad tobacco, just not much to recommend it.