A blend of twelve American and Korean Virginias selected and blended with Burley. The mixture ripens in a special Cavendish process and achieves its superb flavor through the addition of genuine Madagascar vanilla. A very tasty even burning tobacco.

BrandPlanta
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

2.0
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

My son brought this back to me from Germany where he was touring with his band. I've wanted to try this for a while but never seemed to find it. I really wanted it in flake version as I am a flake fancier.

Upon opening the tin there was a beautiful smell of vanilla with liquor overtones and quite appealing. The vanilla did not appear to smell in any way artificial (nor did it taste artificial while smoking). The appearance was of a loose cut mixture of black cavendish and medium browns. Loading and lighting were no problem. The tobacco was very fresh but surprisingly did not present any problems with lighting nor keeping the bowl lit. This tobacco was very tasty and maintained a combination of vanilla/liquor flavor until what was left was gray ash. It never smoked hot or bit. There was never a gurgle or dottle build up either.

Many reviews of this product have been very negative, but after 37 years of pipe smoking, I don't have anything bad to say about it. Although I generally favor stouter, more fuller-bodied smokes, DBV proved a nice change of pace and one (along with Capt Black Dark, which is similar) will remain in my weekly rotation. A solid recommended with 3.5 stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Ebony Straight Billiard

Purchased From: Duty Free Airport Shop in Germany

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark.

0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
0 (2)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First impression when i smelled the pouch was "is this really even tobacco?", the smell is very sweet and pleasant, something of tea, applepie and brandy mixed together, but definitely not natural vanilla, impossible to describe accurately, but the smell is just lovely. Ripped open the pouch and there was the second surprise; the tobacco was either very fresh, or very soaken to begin with, either way it gave the impression of having fresh tobacco, and it almost felt like delicious cookie dough minus the stickiness when i loaded it to my pipe, needless to say the scent supported the impression of handling something delicious.

I packed the pipe rather well, and well did it light up too. Some couple first puffs i mostly tasted what i had smelled so far, i didn't quite notice the smoke flavour, but the sweetness of the flavouring, which felt like i was rather drinking the tobacco with a straw rather than smoking it. Quickly the smoke came in as well, but the strenght was rather mild, but noticeable (as if it was possible not to notice that you are actually burning something in your pipe). Flavouring settled down to a level where i didn't feel like having a sweet drink anymore, but it was still present, and it never got sour or started to bite back as with so many aromatics. The smoke was superb smooth to inhale if you are into that, and well suited for smoke rings as it won't irritate your throat no matter what, and nonsmokers won't choke on your smoke. Unsurprisingly room note was easily tolerable as well, and still had some pleasant scent in it, but less noticeable that i would have tought for this sweet tobacco. The bowl burned pretty fast, but certainly not hot and there was totally no bite at all. It left very fine ash, unlike most aromatics i've smoked.

So good as it sounds it was both a very pleasant surprise for being so easy and sweet tobacco, as well as somewhat disappointing that it was so fast and mild that i was unsatisfied after a single bowl. My everyday smoking blend is 50/50 full flavour amphora and mac baren vanilla, which still results in pretty mild blend, but this Planta product is way milder that that. Might be of satisfactory in a big bowl in your "normal bowl situations" tho. Looking forward to give this another go, the sweetness got the best of me.

TL;DR: Very sweet, mild and fast tobacco, probably not strong enough for everyday use, but could do for "all day" use in a kingsized bowl. Great flavour, but whatever it is, it is not vanilla.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I generally like Planta. I did buy this to test it. I was quite disappointed. It leaves a sticky mess at the bottom of my bowl and the smoking experience is not good.

The Room note is OK, I guess... But all said and done, I do not reach for it too much...

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I wanted Peter Stokkebye's Black Vanilla, and I got this instead. Is it the same thing?

Planta used to have a small Black Vanilla zigarillo [¡!] which those who like Henry Winterman-type cigars might enjoy. I feel that the Dutch and Brazilians do that sort of thing?and this sort of thing?so much better! Nat Sherman?s Liberty Golden Virginia 580 or Dan?s Sweet Vanilla Honeydew are much better realizations of what this name suggests, even if they are not ?black? cavs?Like anybody cares.

This ostensibly vanilla-flavoured cav is just plain boring.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I received a tin of this as a gift from someone who doesn't know what a pipe tobacco is. I knew what was awaiting for me but just to be a gentleman I had to light this gift and let my friend enjoying the pleasant room note of it. I couldn't be a gentleman for a long time and had to stop this torture at the half of the bowl. I hate to throw away tobaccos but I couldn't make something better with this tobacco.

Vanilla lovers and some beginners would love this blend. Altough I would like to recommend them to find a much more decent aromatic tobacco. From my point of view it does not worth even one star!

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

OK, so it has a good room note. I don't smoke for the room note. I really like the Black Vanilla Flake, but this is not the same tobacco: Not even close. I can't even detect the vanilla. It has a strong aromatic scent and taste, but I'll be damned if I can define it.

I have pretty much totally weened myself from aromatics except for a vanilla blend now and then. There are much better ones than this still on the market such as Dunhill A21000 and Dan's Vanilla Honeydew.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

This goop is a cheap drugstore aromatic at the price of quality tobacco. The only good thing about it is the tin art.

Update: Upgraded to 1/4 because when I smoke this in meers (never in briar), sometimes (not often) I manage to taste some interesting cavendish through the flavoring, which seems to receed now and then.

Better pick: Davidoff Mild Mixture.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Enough of the tin. A nice gimmick, but without it, I doubt it would sell much. That said, I wanted this to be one of my favorites; this is not a bad smoke, but it's just another vanilla cased tobacco with all the usual positives and negatives that come with these aromatics.

The tin aroma is a pleasant vanilla, and as would be expected, the room aroma is inviting. There is a pleasant, mild vanilla taste, that is once your taste buds recover from the bite, if ever. That's my biggest problem. I don't see the point of smoking something that everyone else likes the smell of, all at the sacrifice of your taste buds.

If it's a mild pleasant taste you want to enjoy, without offending the non-smokers around you, I'd try a mild cavendish, which won't sting your tongue like this does.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Aromatic. A full aroma that overlaps an ashy taste. Often burns hot, bitter aftertaste at times. Nice roomnote.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Been sitting on this tin for years now. I sometimes open it to smell the contents (it still smells really nice), but smoking it I felt was always a bland affair, so I rarely bothered to do it - which is why I find myself at this impasse. Is it worth the effort to rehydrate for smoking? Unfortunately the answer is always no. I've tried it a few times before and by the time it's finished, my attention will have wandered off to other things and I'm left with a temporary container with nice smelling tobacco that goes dry again.

Though, to be fair - when fresh, it had a pretty nice and mellow vanilla quality about it, I don't remember the base tobaccos making much of an impact however. So, I suppose that if you're looking for a nice smelling tobacco with a very mild taste and nicotine content, it might be for you (just remember to finish the tin in a reasonable amount of time).

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe not the worst pipe tobacco of the vanilla types, but really doesn't work for me. The vanilla flavour is mild and pleasant, the black cavendish tends to re-balance the casing in a more smoky way, but in the first times the aftertaste of vanilla haunt your pipe for about free or four charges. Once the casing is gone the basic tobaccos lacking of consistency: the virginia is pratically absent and the black cavendish become preminent. the basics in combination with the vanilla's remains, obtain some sort of pointy, maybe a little bitter but surely annoying taste that remeber olive; at this point your pipe is save from the vanilla ghost but in disvantage of a good smoking experience. Try it if you want, I won't!

1 Star, (maybe 2).

Type: Artificial Medium Aromatic ; Contents: Virginia, Black cavendish ; Flavoring: Vanilla from the Madagascar ; Cut: Loose cut ; Humidity: moist but don't need to be aired when opened ; Lighting: easy with constant smoking ; Pipe recommended: any type, maybe better with a large bowl

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a vanillin bomb which will render your pipe unusable :) Comes in a funny tin with pipe holder indentation, wrapped in a plastic bag (!) which adds to the OTC impression. If you have other low-quality tobaccos you want to spice up without dumping them, add 30% of Black "Vanilla" to them, mix well, pack your cheapest pipe and puff away when you are outside for a walk. People always positively comment on the 'fragrance'. I can't imagine to smoke this stuff pure again, it's that artificial and bland after a few puffs. If you are into vanilla, try those of Mac Baren. Won't buy this again. 1 out of 5 stars - for the tin.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Very Mild Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

I definitely love vanilla flavour in food, drinks or tobaccos, but this is no vanilla, no natural flavour. Like tons of other discount aromatics, vanilla aromatics, the smell in the pouch and the taste is awful chemical vanilla-licorice. If you look for good virginias blended with some flavour you better run away from this. If you look for vanilla, you found a nano-tech chemical essence not vanilla here. Terrible, definitely not recommended, with much respect to you fellow pipemen who like this, I can't stand it. It goes right down the medicine trash container.

ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMENDED.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (20)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

THis is just really great and so tasty aromatic tobacco

you should try this lovely baby :)

punkpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
punkpiper (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I have to say this is nothing special but not a bad tobacco. Its good for blending and it made the lakeland black cherry my friend brought me smokeable as a mix. Its got two tastes, mostly vanilla but theres some definete tobacco in the background. Smells very nice in the tin, like vanilla essence purely. I'm smoking this as my regular now since I need to lay off the gold blend. It wont surprise anyone ever and its a little damp, so put a bit in a smaller, unsealed tin to dry for a bit before. Might buy it again, purely because its a sociable smoke. Even my flatmates like it.

gersham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gersham (4)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well it's not bad, but a bit... disappointing? I found the taste hardly detectable, just plain bland. I disagree with it being a hot smoke, however, I found it be a very well-behaved (although fast) smoke. Surprisingly, it burns down to an ash with no soppy remnants (expected from an aromatic).

Do plan on finishing this large tin though, and giving it the benefit of the doubt, perhaps I'll discover the taste in it yet. Still, it's something to reach for if you want a very non-committal smoke.

Kovacs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kovacs (5)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I don't know why the reviews are so harsh. This tobacco has a nice vanilla taste and unlike Stanwell's vanilla, it doesn't give a savoury chemical experience (i think Stanwell's can only be smoked with a filter, than it tastes nice). It's not very sweet, but all in all a pleasant tobacco.

bertalanffy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bertalanffy (3)

I'm a fan of aromatics, so I bought a pouch of this to test it. All I can say is I'm bitterly disappointed -- in the pouch, the tobacco is distinctly cheap-smelling (smells of chemicals and is moist and sticky), and in the pipe it's horrible.

The first few puffs had traces of vanilla, which were soon replaced by a dull, ashy taste. The very faintly burning tobacco made it's way about halfway down the bowl, at which point it lost any vanilla taste it may have had whatsoever and started violently attacking my tongue. At this point I was definitely also noticing a distinctly gritty texture inside my mouth, which is how I imagine having tar spread over your tongue would taste like. By the end of the bowl, smelling and tasting nothing but ash, I was further disgusted by a sticky sludge at the bottom of the bowl that made it difficult to remove the leftover ash.

It behaves somewhat similar to Stanwell, though completely devoid of taste. Rubbish, ashtray-tasting tobbaco with no redeeming qualities that I am throwing away after one smoke.

tibetansky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tibetansky (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I like the mild sent in the room mild aroma. The tast was there but not strong will try this again and pay more attention to detals ..

Cheers

sailorjosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sailorjosh (4)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This was my first foray into pipe tobacco. I would say it was a disappointment. The first couple puffs had a nice vanilla flavour, but after that, nothing. I literally could not tell whether or not the pipe was lit, I found it completely flavourless. Towards the bottom of the bowl I found it got pretty ashy and unpleasant. Girlfriend liked the smell.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

A really nice tin aroma but there was something wrong with the taste of it.

It did not burn well and had a tendency to get hot.

Eligijus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eligijus (1)

I very like this vanilla aromat. I found this to be a very pleasant tobacco if you like vanilla :)

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Strong

I was hoping to like this one since I'm such a huge fan of bca, YUCK! the tobacco was a sticky ,there was a chemical smell and taste.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (36)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

For a sweet Cavendish;this tobacco is outstanding!I'm a Virgina-Puritan,at heart.I have Huge Respect for a tobacco blender that can make a blend,that has LOADS of Flavoring...Palatable.They obviously DID THEIR HOMEWORK,2Get it Right.Quite amazed it doesn't 'Ruin' and soup up your pipe;like most aromatics. Give it a try You Might Be Pleasantly Surprised. :)

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I was disappointed. The packaging was unfortunate. The plastic wrap in the tin had tainted the tobacco with it's plasticy taste. The vanilla got lost in that.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

smells and taste like stanwell vanilla.to strong fruity flavoring.not gonna buy again.-

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good vanilla-tobacco, that can from time to time give tasty and satisfying notes. Interesting is also the liqueur undertone which combined with the vanilla taste gives to this tobacco an enunciated personality. The down sides are it does not always taste that good; and after half smoke turns bitter and bites. A good tobacco among the vanilla aromatics, but nothing more.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like many things, I enjoy this in small infrequent doses. Not an all-day/everyday tobacco by any means, but a nice treat once in a while. Unfortunately for myself, I don't smoke enough of it to get through a tin before it dries out to an unsmokeable black dust.

The initial flavor is sweet and fruity with a top note of a mild vanilla. The flavoring is not overpowering and one definately does taste tobacco as opposed to some aromatics that never closely resembles anything like tobacco. As one progresses through a bowl of this it takes on a slightly sour flavor and starts to heat up easily. The end of the bowl is usually slightly sour and hot.

The cut is "medium-fine" in that it is not so finely-cut that it's like snuff but fine enough for some pieces to shoot through the stem into your mouth leaving you to spit "vanilla skoal".

Room note is very nice but when it heats up the scent starts to smell more akin to a cheap cigar.

PROS: 1. A nice sweet smoke with a vanilla twist 2. Great for smoking around non-smokers 3. Good for a transition blend for someone starting to break away from traditional aromatic blends 4. Good in a small bowl

CONS: 1. Not good for a long smoke (sour and hot) 2. Stray pieces of fine-cut leaf sneak in your mouth with the smoke There are much better vanilla/fruit aromatic blends out there of better quality, such as Dan Tobacco's "Blue Note" and "Sweet Vanilla Honeydew" but this is certainly worth a try. YMMV

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I ordered the 200 gram glass jar of this blend when i ordered several tins from the Dan catalogue. It is not an all black vanilla cavendish but rather a nice blend of brown, blacks and light specks. The glass jar kept the tobacco at the proper moisture level and i assume that it is also a better quality than the traditional tins. There is no dust or stems present and its not dry or brittle. This Vanilla and fruit casing masks the tobacco taste but the room aroma and taste are to die for! Good stuff.

Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Shock! Horror! An aromatic to plague my pipes! Well, of all the aromatic casings for a pipe tobacco, vanilla seems at least to be one of the best (or of the least bad, depending on your point of view). I let myself be tempted by the nice tin (the lid can be used as a pipe holder) and by the fact that I had never tried a vanilla blend... for once, I found some pleasant surprises. The tobacco wasn't too humid or sticky, and packed well, taking flame perfectly: the first puffs are overwhelmingly strong in aroma, almost unpleasant and alcoholic. Then it settles into a nice balence between the strenght and fullness of the very dark brown and doubly fermented cavendish, and the sweetness (always present to the end of the bowl) of the vanilla. As a whole, a pleasant morning smoke, which is always very tolerated by my colleagues at work. It is a rather fast smoke: this stuff burns rather quick, but never too hot (it does, but doesn't scorch your hand). Quite welcome, after all, because it is out before you grow tired of it... Incredibly, it doesn't leave too many goopy remains in the pipe, leaving a rather plain ash instead! Which doesn't mean that the vanilla aroma won't be noticeable if you smoke some English mixture after it... I was wise enough to smoke it in my least precious pipe, the one I dedicate to this kind of "experiments"! I only have two huge complaints on this tobacco: one is that the vanilla taste always leaves me suspecting of some chemical rather than of true vanilla (some puffs have an almost "plastic-like" aroma...). The second, is that I grow quickly tired of aromatics: one bowl each 1/2 days are pleasant, but no more. But among all the few aromatics I have tried so far, this one is the most tolerable, a nice change of pace when I don't want a stronger tobacco-tasting tobacco.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Lured as others by the eye-catching tin, this turned out to be a terribly disappointing tobacco experience. Guess I?m like most Americans: put something in a shiny box and I?ll buy it.

The vanilla flavoring is harsh and overpowering, even in the tin. Most aromatics generally at least smell sweet and mellow in the tin, even if they turn out to be harsh on the palate; Planta?s Black Vanilla doesn?t even achieve that. I enjoy a smooth, light aromatic now and again, but this one drives me to employ the overused yet totally apt descriptor: cloying. The sweetness here is over the top to the point of being harsh. And tongue bite seems inescapable with this blend. Ended up dumping over half the tin.

Oh, well, at least I got a cool tin out of it.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

As vanilla is one of my favourite flavours, I had thoroughly looked forward to trying this blend and was a bit disappointed. The mixture is rather wet and tends to burn hot, resulting in pipe gurgle and tongue bite. Furthermore, the vanilla casing seemed to override the natural flavour of the virginia, leaving a vanilla-flavoured burley blend. Pros: Nice tin and pleasant room note.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is an OK vanilla aromatic. The aroma out of th tin is really similar to the real vanilla. I recently bought two sticks of the real vanilla plant to finally understand what it smells like... This planta tobacco comes really close. A for puffing, decent smoke, not absolutely flavorful, leaves a decent room note and does not scorche the tongue.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an impoverished rendition of Black Vanilla Flake to which one would resort only for financial reasons (the flake is indeed significantly expensive).

The casing is reminiscent of a quite common vanilla scent (found in almost most medium quality aromatic tobacco products) and the blend at rare times reminds one that it is a tobacco (and not some kind of airy substance). suggested for those who crave a vanilla-sweet smoke (its sweetness is very present) but cannot afford the flake version.

Gerry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gerry (4)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

This vanilla is one of the best I have smoked.

It raises to the char light, lights even and burns evenly through out the entire bowl.

Several flavors are present although none of the blends are overwhelming to the taste buds. There is always the pleasant favor of vanilla thoughout the entire smoke. This vanilla flavor is not overwhelming but definately adds to the enjoyable experience of smoking this Planta blend.

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)

I bought this when I could not get the Danish Black Vanilla _Flake_, thinking it would be similar. Unfortunately it is not. I like an aromatic, but the vanilla and sweet flavours do not come through as well in this tobacco. Also, the underlying flavours are much more mild. I'm pretty keen on the black Virginias, and this one has more of the golden than the flake, which I found disappointing. Overall, it is an OK blend, and I have smoked the pack quite happily, but it does not stand out. Try the Flake instead (if you can find it :-) )

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I tried this one recently out of curiosity; I had another little craving for aromatics...

The smell upon opening the tin is very vanilla; vanilla big time! The leaves are mostly medium and dark brown combined with the black Cavendish. The cut is medium. The tins I bought had obviously aged, because there were some sugar crystals in the Bakkie. 3 weeks after, I could still smell the vanilla aroma in the tin...

Surprisingly, for an aromatic, it smokes very well; I never pack my bowls too much, that's what may provoke the "wetting" of the tobacco once past the mid part. I don't know, maybe it smoked so dry because the tobacco had aged a bit. because usually aromatics can be a problem when smoked.

The taste was very vanilla, surprisingly enjoyable, not annoying at all; the tobacco smokes even, and dry 'till the end.

The room aroma is very plesant, but it turns a bit to a more sour note after a while, but nothing offending ( I'm quoting the wife, the expert in the room aromas...)to the senses.

This is a nice aromatic, I recommend it.

Apparently, the famous tin will be replaced by a regular pouch in the near future...

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

As an avid pipe smoker who craves the his fix of a sweet Vanilla Cavedish and a friend asked me to try this blend.

The tin that it came in was unique within itself, which at first I thought was a gimmick to influence the smoker of pipes to buy their product for the tin itself.

Once I removed the lid I was really expecting an aroma of overwhelming Vanilla. After the disappointment of the Vanilla aroma, I decided to fill up a bowl of this tobacco anticipating the superb flavour through the addition of genuine Madagascar Vanilla, again the disappointment had set in as this to me was a very bland tobacco. It was an even burning tobacco and I thought it deserved another chance, unortunately the results were the same.

This would most likely be for a pipe smoker first starting out and wanted an aromatic, but for myself, I prefer an aromatic simular to that of Peter Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla.

UPDATE June 17, 2003

I really wanted this tobacco to be on my list of Vanilla aromatics to smoke and I have to give it one more try.

This time it was my first bowl of the day, and the taste was very mild to mild, the flavor was very mild, strength was mild, and room was wife friendly.

I decided to remove the tobacco from might try it again to smoke this tobacco to smoke this on ocassion as it did present itself to be rather nice tobacco for me first thing in the norning.

I hate to give up on a Vanilla aromatic with such an enticing name as this one, so I added another tobacco jar with Plata Danish Black Vanilla to my morning tobaccos.

Cirdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cirdan (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I also bought it because of the lid pipe rest, made to fit my favorite canadian pipes. I'd thought of refiling it. I must say I was surprised, for this is not a chemical kit (unlike many I've tried...), it is a virginia rich, brown cavendish. The vanilla topping is not at all commonplace potpuri, but something adding slight sweetness to taste and much to sociability. Mostly a danish - you can take it everywhere and smoke it slowly, in a large bowl, tasting the sweet fermented tobacco.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend is packed in a rather unusual tin with a pipe rest molded into the top. However, the tobacco is what really counts. A very moist blend of high quality browns + 50% black cavendish with a fantastic, intense vanilla tin and room aroma but a less evident taste results in a wetter smoke than I prefer for ~ the last 1/3 of the bowl. Drying the tobacco resulted in a very hot smoke. I'm not normally an aromatic smoker and am biased towards straight VAs, but these vanilla blends keep enticing me with their great PR and aromas. I just wish the tastes were as enjoyable. If you prefer a heavily cased vanilla blend, this might be the one for you. At this point, I would select Dan's 'Sweet Vanilla Honeydew' over this blend for a hot weather smoke or change of pace.